Register

Author Topic: Best Scenes Round 16 - HEAVEN OR HELL DUEL 1 LETS ROCK!  (Read 3341 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Best Scenes Round 16 - HEAVEN OR HELL DUEL 1 LETS ROCK!
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:29:39 AM »
DRAMA:
The Fate (Shadow hearts Covenant) |||| | vs. Nanako's 'Death' (Persona 4) |
Wedding (Lufia II) | vs. Death of Fear (Wild ARMs XF) |||| ||

STYLE:
Falcon PAWNCH!!! vs. R.O.B.'s Face (Super Smash Brothers Brawl) ||| vs. Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) ||||
"I need to talk to God..." "TALK TO ME." (Digital Devil Saga 2) || vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7) |||| |

HUMOR:
Karol distracts the guard (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Mad Midget Five (Godhand) ||||
The Power's In His Beard (Tales of the Abyss) |||| vs. Roger in a Cage (Star Ocean 3) |||

DO YOU NOT SEE, VOTERS!? THIS DIVISION IS WRONG, FOR SURELY YOU CANNOT CORRECT IT NOW!:
Master-D Exploding Head (Bionic Commando) || vs. Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  ||||

You know, it'd be nice if *insert usual whiny rant here* and that's why you all need to *insert Meeple's completely ignored point here*

DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwdH1WCySbY) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qnyxd7Vq0Q&feature=related)
Finding Mana Tree (SoM) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKsyFasfOLo) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Oowm3I810&feature=related - Until about 7:00)

STYLE:
*"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRGh9_HhFnI#t=4m45s)
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsYlxEywO6w)  vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNoLGgyHKE)

*2 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdZWkxxBdy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WH4uxmiF8

HUMOR:
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWlFRwy7WA) vs. Alastor Reveals EVIL PLOT (Viewtiful Joe) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pfjv06H7g)
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5G4KQVFL) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsgdOD5h-TU)

IF YOU VOTED ANY LATER, YOU'D BE A WRONG SANDWICH:
"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDvQGGZzfI) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj6RbxMwYTk - ends about 20 seconds in)

SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII)
Finding Mana Tree (SoM) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4)
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7 vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)

HUMOR:
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) vs. Alastor Reveals EVIL PLOT (Viewtiful Joe)
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT)

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64)

NOTE: About the MF6 scene...

I apologize but I didn't have time to edit it appropriately, and evidently the tools, so it wouldn't fit on standard videos sites I can access.  The video is 15 minutes long, but there's gameplay and shit between it.  I'll try to check and give you time stamps that you can skip for the "important" stuff.  But basically, you'll have to download it and watch it that way.  I apologize for the inconvenience, and if someone CAN cut down the video and cut out all the pure-gameplay segments, such that the video can be put on Youtube or something, that would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:32:50 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scenes Round 16 - HEAVEN OR HELL DUEL 1 LETS ROCK!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:15:22 AM »
STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) -  Superior
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2) - I didn't see Skyscraper Surfing. I  saw Skycraper smashing :(. False advertising!

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64) -

Both of these scenes are absolutely hilarious for horribly wrong reasons. The Star Fox 64 moment is pretty brilliant. Apparently, the thought of attacking an enemy base has never crossed the mind of a general DURING a full scale war before. It's like OMG FOX UR A GENUS WE WIL SIT BACK AND TWIDLE TUMBS HERP DERF. Then again, this is the same universe that has SLIPPY flying a high tech F-16 like airplane. I really shouldn't be surprised, but it does however show how damn incompetent everyone is from the Star Fox world and it gets a laugh out of me everytime.

Still, the MGS2 scene beats it. I saw it in context, and saw it out of context, it doesn't matter. The scene is still bad, but hilarious bad. The problem comes from several things. First, is that Raiden, supposedly some elite super spy, makes this sound like a huge accomplishment. Just listen to his voice! He's so proud that he managed to avoid DROWNING. AND he fills the need to inform his colonel that he managed this task. I think the fact that you're calling him implies you are still alive. One could argue that Emma is the reason he's calling, but then why not just say 'Emma's safe?'. The second problem lies with the colonel's response. "Good job" is just a hilarious way to reply it. I half expected him to tack on, "Want a cookie? Good for you!". It's just so blunt. He's like the camp counselor that awards the boy scout that badge for picking up litter from the park. The delivery is really the icing on the cake. And I think that's what will forever doom this scene to be taken seriously ever. Instead of the important Codec call portrayal, this more or less just ends up being a lolwat moment.

Oh yeah, if you listen to the end, the colonel's next instructions are vague too. Maybe he should've been more specific so he gets less of these psyduck calls from Raiden. I half expect him to call back in 2 minutes with, "Colonel, we managed to avoid tripping over our own feet by tying our shoelaces".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:32:14 AM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:24 PM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII): The Mami scene is really good in context. This scene leaves most of that out, but it's really hard to ignore all of the buildup that leads to that scene.
Finding Mana Tree (SoM) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)-Both are pretty bad.

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4)

HUMOR:

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs. "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:34:35 PM by dude789 »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:27:53 AM »

SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII)- Taken alone it does lose a whole chunk of impact, but how the strength of the plot arc and the general distardlyness of the act is more than enough to carry it over Aeris' death.
Finding Mana Tree (SoM) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)- Wait, one of these is "I AM YOUR MOTHER, THE TREE!!" And what's worse is that I dislike the other flat out enough that I think that a Your Mother, the Tree...is the scene I like better.

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4)- Another match I'm really not fond of. The Dissidia scene is nice, but I wouldn't really call if stylish. The WA 4 scene is a blowsy, over the top mess. So voting for the one I at least liked on some level.
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7 vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)- Speaking of kind of over the top, KH 2 scene could be a mess (Just kind of the whole...setup). However, without knowing all of the plot (and knowing it this scene makes any scene in context), I can't really say. That said, Junon vs Weapon isn't really stylish (Later games are of course...later, but big gun fires, monster shrugs it off, end scene. Compared to oh say...basically anything the Eidolons do in FF 9, this scene lacks badly just in terms of back and forth), so out on limb for KH 2 scene.

HUMOR:
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT)- Well, FFT scene isn't exactly stiff competition. Hopefully get around to this later, although now as much chance as normal.
...into the nightfall.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII)

STYLE:
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)

HUMOR:
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT)- The opera scene is the worst part of MF6 IMO.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:38 PM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII) - Looking at this...Aeris' death feels far stronger out of context.  It's been downplayed over the years, but feels so much stronger taken at face value, especially with everything else that made FF7 popular.

STYLE:
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)

HUMOR:
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) vs. Alastor Reveals EVIL PLOT (Viewtiful Joe) - No vote: where's the Roborat scene?!  I gave you the link!  You are mean ;_;
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT) - W8 didn't strike me as humourous in any way.

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64)
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII) - Extremely effective vs. something I found a bit trite.

STYLE:

HUMOR:
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT) - Outside of Ultros, the Opera lacks.

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII)- I'm a terrible person

STYLE:
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)- Well... I'm tempted to award style points for Rufus here (his ability to be completely calm and in charge here is pretty awesome) but that doesn't seem to be what was nommed, so.

HUMOR:
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT)- As I said way back when, the Opera should always have been based on FFIV.

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »
Poooor CK.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:53:28 AM »
?

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 04:55:38 AM »
Voting against Aeris!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 05:05:36 AM »
Ah.

PS Vote minions.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII) - As strong as Mami and the Carronade is, Aeris was the shishkabobing heard round the internet.
Finding Mana Tree (SoM) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core) - There's only so much drama one can wring out of a tree.

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4)  - Gawn proves there's such a thing as too far over the top.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4)  - Gawn proves there's such a thing as too far over the top.

Don't care enough about anything else to vote on them.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 08:30:03 PM »
Just noting that while I won't be around tomorrow, the pools WILL still close tomorrow night as usual.   The next round won't start until after DLC5, since this is a good point for a quick break.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII) - Tough one though.

STYLE:
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2) - Rufus fanboyism is go.

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64) - I like the Star Fox scene plenty but it's still not much of a contest.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII): Pretty clear to me. I do consider scenes in context, and how BoF4's story used this to propel Fou-Lu's motivation along, and make the player believe him, is pretty sweet.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:11 AM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII) - No doubt this is partly because it's the one I saw first, but the music also works quite well. And "What is this sense of foreboding that assails me?" makes me snicker, which doesn't work well with tragedy.

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia) vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) - Style explicitly permits me to vote for the more ridiculous scene. That's definitely happening.
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2) - Big guns never tire.

HUMOR:
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT) - Saved by the Edge.

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64) - Raiden just sounds so proud.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Results!

DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4)- vi vs. Aeris' Death (FFVII)- iiii
Finding Mana Tree (SoM)- ii vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)- v

STYLE:
"Life...Dreams...Hope...where do they come from?" (Dissidia)- iii vs. Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4)- v
Junon vs. Weapon (FF7)- iiii vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)- iiii  "NOTHINGNESS... IS ETERNAL!!"  Thus spake the MeepleLord.

HUMOR:
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia)- v vs. Alastor Reveals EVIL PLOT (Viewtiful Joe)
Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6)- iii vs. Worker 8 Is Activated (FFT)- ii

"We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)- v vs.  "So you're going to attack the enemy base? Great idea, Fox!" (SF64)- i

See y'all in two weeks.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:36:14 AM by Cmdr_King »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 01:02:36 AM »
I miss this Tournament.   :'( (single tear)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 01:53:07 AM »
I'm gonna start it up again with the next round after the High Holidays.  Would rather get that nonsense out of the way before I start this up.  Don't worry, its not dead!

So yeah, expect an update in 2-3 weeks.