Author Topic: Best Scenes Round 2, Pool 8 - By hook or crook, you shall all die!  (Read 1666 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DRAMA:
Celes' Cliff Dive (FFVI)- ||  vs. Raksha's Reveal (Soul Nomad)- |||| |||
Ferid and Arshstat (Suikoden 5)- |||| |||  vs. Arnaud and Raquel at Frontier Halim (Wild ARMs 4)- |||

STYLE:
Cloud Backstabs Sephiroth...literally (Crisis Core)- ||||  vs. Metal Gear Ziggy (XenoSaga)- ||||
"I've forgotten how to miss!" (Lufia 2)- || vs. Sex Talk with Dr. Kaufman  (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)- ||||

HUMOR:
King's Game (Persona 4)- |||| |  vs. Terra Condor Pre-Fight Scene (Megaman Starforce 2)- ||
Ultros Jams the Opera! (Final Fantasy 6)- || vs. Presidental Debate (Sam and Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!)- ||||

WRONG DIVISION! YES SIR!:
You Little Hoochies! (Lufia 2)- |||| vs. Chu-Chu died for your sins (Xenogears)- |||| ||

Whine whine, bitch, moan, death to people who support usage of the letter q, we move on.

DRAMA:
The Fate (Shadow hearts Covenant) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vJusOO4jU)  vs Death of Fear (Wild ARMs XF) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ4EedSF5aw)
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwdH1WCySbY) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Oowm3I810&feature=related - Until about 7:00)

STYLE:
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tahmRAGC-s&#t=4m30s) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISLereSDJbo)
Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRGh9_HhFnI#t=4m45s) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNoLGgyHKE)

HUMOR:
Mad Midget Five (Godhand)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u4hxDT_i9E) vs The Power's In His Beard (Tales of the Abyss) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnb5rC3WSi8#t=7m35s)
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWlFRwy7WA) vs. Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5G4KQVFL)

YOU'VE WRONGED ME, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO VOTE!:
 Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyOYaDHquE)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDvQGGZzfI)

Short form!!!

DRAMA:
The Fate (Shadow hearts Covenant) vs. Death of Fear (Wild ARMs XF)
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)

STYLE:
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7)
Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)

HUMOR:
Mad Midget Five (Godhand) vs. The Power's In His Beard (Tales of the Abyss)
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) vs. Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6)

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:20:46 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scenes Round 2, Pool 8 -
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
DRAMA:
The Fate (Shadow hearts Covenant) vs. Death of Fear (Wild ARMs XF): The Fate is a pretty good style nom, but it distinctly should be a style nom, the dramatic portion of the scene is found in the graveyard scene. Latter actually had me a little teary, which is damn rare with RPGs, so yeah, easy vote for me.
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core): Abstain for now.

STYLE:
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7): Just love the edge the writers gave by having President Shinra listening to classical music while watching the destruction. What a douche.
Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2): Over-the-top silly fun. Latter didn't really get much of a reaction from me.

HUMOR:
Mad Midget Five (Godhand) vs. The Power's In His Beard (Tales of the Abyss): God Hand is wonderful silly good times, and Mad Midget Five + Gene's taunting of them is great. Plays much more to my biases than the anime-style humour of the latter.
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) vs. Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6): Apparently the latter includes the entire opera, and the MF6 opera did rather little for me until the end after Yuri and Ultros fall to the stage. Former isn't my favourite Roxis CQ but it's still pretty good. Randomly, MK1 CQ music is pretty bad! Funny how I didn't really notice while playing the game. <.<

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2): Whatever.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scenes Round 2, Pool 8 - By hook or crook, you shall all die!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:56:40 AM »
DRAMA:
The Fate (Shadow hearts Covenant) vs. Death of Fear (Wild ARMs XF) - I thought I nommed the former for Style...no, I nommed it for the original name of the category when it was first posted, "serious".  Bleh...different interpretations then.  Nonetheless, even though it fits Style more than Drama (and Serious better than Style), I still feel the power of the scene, and the power behind it a lot more - probably a bit of better voice acting and music, but even without or with context, still feels better.
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core) - Just...don't find Breath of Fire IV as impactful as others.

STYLE:
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7) - The Final Fantasy 12 main character! 

HUMOR:

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:57:31 AM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7)

HUMOR:

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2):
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:56:32 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »
DRAMA:
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)- Yeah, as generally noted this scene is more a culmination of the whole storyline to me. It won't hold up against a great scene, but the Crisis Core scene is okay at the beginning and flat out lolzy at the end.

STYLE:
Gawn Missile PAWCNH (WA4) vs. Skyscraper Surfing (KH2)- Maybe if the WA 4 scene managed to make this work without Gawn randomly kind of covering in the air and yet slightly falling (and well, if it didn't star Gawn). Far too over the top for me.

HUMOR:
Mad Midget Five (Godhand) vs. The Power's In His Beard (Tales of the Abyss)- TotA scene a little lame, but the other is 5 midget doing synchonized cheerleading ending with them engaging in the "fuck me?" position? Uh...uh...yeah, it's bad.
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) vs. Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6)- I don't think Meeple intended this to be funny?

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)- There is no comparison
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »

STYLE:
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:35:35 AM by Talaysen »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 03:50:32 AM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:
Mad Midget Five (Godhand) vs. The Power's In His Beard (Tales of the Abyss) - Just want to note that this really isn't 'anime humor'... >.>;; I'd argue that the Godhand scene fits that far more than this particular TotA joke. Not saying that TotA isn't filled with anime humor, but this particular scene -isn't- really in the normal vein, which is why it stands out in the first place.
Roxis CQ 4 (Mana Khemia) vs. Opera, now with 100% more Meeple (MF6) - Shameless favoritism.

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »
HUMOR:

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWNING" "Good job" (MGS2)
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:08:51 AM »
DRAMA:
The Fate (Shadow hearts Covenant) vs. Death of Fear (Wild ARMs XF)- Disagree entirely with Elf-iato.  The real power is in this scene, with the cemetery as build up to it.  It's where you really get the sense that, no, they aren't just estranged or on different paths, they're different people making different choices in the same circumstance, and both respect each other for it.  It's where you really see the "One shall stand, one shall fall" statement in their conflict.
Why Hatbot decided to set it against the awesome ending of WAXF I dunno.
Mami and the Carronade (BoF4) vs. "I'm your...living...legacy?" (Crisis Core)- Great, next round has a finals worth match regardless of the above outcome.

STYLE:
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7)- Malicious destruction should always be set to classical.

HUMOR:

Resident Evil Opening (Resident Evil)  vs. "We managed to avoid DROWING" "Good job" (MGS2)- Hopefully, the brackets work out right that this vs What is Man is the finals. 
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
I actually like it fine for a Drama scene myself, I just think Death of Fear is one of the more touching VG scenes.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »
It is.  hence hatbot comment.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
Balthier and Fran 'I can't die, I'm the leading man!' (Final Fantasy 12) vs. Sector 7 goes Boom (Final Fantasy 7)- Malicious destruction should always be set to classical.

I've always been a big fan of either children's songs or polka, myself.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
that works for a comedy to downplay/glorify the violence, but not really in a scene where it's meant to be tragic and motivating for the heroes.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
Eh, I'd call it more chilling - imagining a kid song being played over that is frightening, and speaks to volumes the insanity inherent

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:31:36 AM »
I... guess, if you played it right?  But even then, I don't think that would work for me without either a lot of dissonance or breakdown type effects.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
Children's songs are pretty good, since a lot of them have some potentially dark meanings if you think about it (or naturally). Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was one of the strongest things in Dead Space. But YMMV, etc