Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267502 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1725 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »
I always thought Rydia was the main female character in FF4? She certainly has more screen time...

Rydia has more PARTY time, but less screen time.  Rosa is definitely a more prominent player in the game's plot.  She is introduced before Rydia, and the time Rydia has early on is offset partially by this, as well as all those scenes related to Tower of Zot, where Rydia is MIA and Rosa's being her usual useless DiD self.  Rydia kind of loses all plot significance after she saves the team from Golbez in Dwarf Village with the sole exception of the "WAAAH! STOP DYING EVERYONE! IT HURTS!" "...Rydia, you don't even know who this Ninja guy is." "SHUT UP! ITS SAD TO SEE PEOPLE DIE!" "...how come you never whined about this before?" "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!" "oh ok" scene after Edge gets fried by Rubicante.  Really, that scene can be summed up as "Shit, Rydia doesn't have any other scenes where she does anything between now and the end of the game...lets force this little speech here cause its kind of in character or something!" 

Really, adult Rydia is like one of the most pointless characters of all time in terms of plot.  She has one cool moment, then sort of fades away from the plot for like ever, and becomes basically a pure Gameplay Tool from here on in.

I think the thing that really sells the scenario is when the two characters leave the team.  Rosa becomes the goal of the game for a good while, Rydia is kind of forgotten until she rejoins.  Both are absent for equal amounts of time after their initial joining.  Really no question whose the female lead when you look at it that way.

If I recall, doesn't the age of Ceodore and the gap in time between FF4 and TAY suggest that Rosa was running around with a baby in her most of the game? Cause that's kinda fucked up.

From what I understand, they sort of fix that in FF4's new interlude by saying Rosa has gotten recently pregnant in that little short sequence, so its "17 years since that interlude."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:38:54 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1726 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
Bah, more Pregnant Female Warriors, I say! Ayla did it! Selan -could have- done it! The coolest character in Grandia 3 was a mom! Pregnant women clearly kick-ass. Rosa would actually be a lot more impressive if she was able to fight on the moon while dealing with morning sickness. Sure, low-gravity/oxygen strenuous exercise while he was a fetus would also probably explain why Ceodore is 'a bit special', but really, he was doomed from the moment Cecil was his father, it doesn't reflect badly on Rosa.

(...no, I'm not actually defending Rosa's character with this argument)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 12, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
The interlude has Rosa getting knocked up about a year or two after the end of FF4.

Edit: FM5: The survival sim is really addicting once you get into the swing of it. Cool concept, but I am avoiding it for fear of losing my life to playing it over and over.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: July 12, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
I think the Japanese version had her knocked up during the game, the American changed it after after they realized "Okay, that's kinda silly." And the Japanese version retconned it.

OH.

I forgot to mention.

The game has two amazing options. One to TURN OFF THE ATB GAUGE (and replace it with NOTHING!) for the frue FF4 experience. (Seriously???) And one to turn off the cute little portraits by people's names to, presumably, appeal to the frue FF4 experience as well. This is like the very definition of catering to the crazy nostalgia people. Yes I want to make the battle system actively worse and the game less pretty. Why do you ask?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:54:46 PM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 12, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
Bah, more Pregnant Female Warriors, I say! Ayla did it! Selan -could have- done it! The coolest character in Grandia 3 was a mom! Pregnant women clearly kick-ass. Rosa would actually be a lot more impressive if she was able to fight on the moon while dealing with morning sickness. Sure, low-gravity/oxygen strenuous exercise while he was a fetus would also probably explain why Ceodore is 'a bit special', but really, he was doomed from the moment Cecil was his father, it doesn't reflect badly on Rosa.

Ayla was pregnant?  When did that happen?

That said, FE7 Louise is pregnant with Klein.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: July 12, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »

Ayla was pregnant?  When did that happen?

That said, FE7 Louise is pregnant with Klein.

Some people interpret her BURP at the end of... Dino Lair?  Reptite Lair?  As the early signs of morning sickness.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: July 12, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
So basically, a random fan-in that has no real basis behind it, just people assuming something out of nowhere, just for the sake of adding a random factor to Ayla that has absolutely no precedent behind it?

UM, ok then, moving on...

Missed this before but...

I think the Japanese version had her knocked up during the game, the American changed it after after they realized "Okay, that's kinda silly." And the Japanese version retconned it.

Its implied Cecil and Rosa have been sleeping together for sometime.  Just the US version had to censor it cause...well...original US translation didn't want ANYTHING remotely suggestive for sex, death, etc.
I forget if later versions of FF4 in English have the reference but I know the term (at least when it was fan translated) had Rosa saying "I'm coming to your room again tonight" early on. 

Of course, it is possible to sleep together without her being pregnant, so it doesn't really change anything one way or another, though it does further submit that Rosa just exists to be Cecil's Bitch.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: July 12, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
"In the new re-translation in Chrono Trigger (DS) there seems to be subtle hints that she is in the very early stages of pregnancy, commenting that upon having a child or being killed, Also, Ayla expressed concern over the small size of Marle's breasts, worrying that they weren't sufficient to give milk to children; this exchange was censored in American versions of the game."

I guess if it was in the Japanese version that's fine but we'd have to see parts of it to confirm something like that.

It seems that the part where she pukes after Azala has more to do with her being drunk than her being pregnant, though.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
Portal 2: well.

Story's good, voices are good, and the new gameplay concepts (colored goop with various effects, portable barriers, portable funnels) are all great.

My complaint is, broadly, with the difficulty.  To begin with, Portal sometimes used non-portal-able sections of wall in some places to make the puzzles work.  Portal 2 sometimes uses portal-able sections of wall to make the puzzles work.  Instead of a room full of surfaces you can portal and an open-ended search to figure out how to solve the room's puzzle, you're in a room where there's only three little patches of surface you can use your portal gun on and so it's immediately obvious that you'll be using those.  The end result is that it's like someone went through the game with a highlighter.

This alone wouldn't be such a big deal if the puzzles were still hard, but they're not.  That itself wouldn't be such a big deal if there a wealth of advanced maps and alternate, more challenging chambers to go through, but there aren't any of those.  Those were a great idea in the first Portal, letting the main game seem kinda easy while keeping challenge in for those who wanted it; what happened to that?  It seems like we have to rely on internet map-makers for that stuff instead now.  So, that's kind of disappointing.  I love the concepts they've introduced here, but I feel like I barely did anything with them.  I'll play some co-op tonight, maybe that will improve things.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 12, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
It seems that the part where she pukes after Azala has more to do with her being drunk than her being pregnant, though.

But how else will things get blown out of proportion in weird ways!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: July 13, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
Aquaria - shoot lasers at tigerfish, reach international waters, fuck shellfish
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
Lost Odyssey: Got Sarah.
The balance between immortals and mortals is hilariously one sided, just like in Suikoden Tactics!
Mortals get skills by leveling up (like FF4 characters)
Immortals learn skills from accessores (like FF9 characters) and can learn any skill from any mortal, too, by selecting one of those skills and fighting in the same battle as the mortal. They have better stats and auto revive after a while (like Lenneth)
Would you rather have a character with:
- White magic
OR a character with:
- Every kind of magic
- Better stats
- Status immunity
- A passive skill that restores 10% of max MP whenever the character defends during battle
- Auto revive
- etc etc

In battle, I'm always using my 4 immortal uber gods of allmighty power and a varying weak, pathetic underlevelled peon that's only there to make me leech off his skills before I'm throwing him away again. There's just no challenge in the game anymore.
This fits two central themes of the game, I think:
- Immortals are just better but need the mortals to survive.
- Cooke and Mack suck. Seriously, never sing again you two.

Dreams are still well written and all, but they start reminding me of VP cutscenes. 90% of the time, that new character is going to die in 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, the less said about the rest of the story the better.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 13, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 - I take back what I said about the Turn A and Infinite Justice being bad. They just needed thier C6 attacks to become good again. Or decent in the Turn A's case. Having a fantastic C6 still doesn't save it from having both Moonlight Butterfly and Throw A 'NadeNuke nerfed massively. For the IJ...well, it's money move in DWG2 was the C6 as well, though it did like the C3 and C4 at times and they feel worse now(same moves, just...they seem weaker). The new C6 is a good 360 clearer, while the old one was a wide line clearer. I think I prefer the old one, but the new one is objectively just as good, just plays to a different style. Latteral trade there. (Note: I may end up liking it more, haven't actually PLAYED the IJ yet. Just watched Tai play it alot)

Thoughts on what are probably my favorite mechs right now:

ZZ Gundam: This rocks. The double zeta's a powerhouse. Strong line-clearing C4, grab C3, and a ground musou that is best decribed as a Giant Fuck-Off Laser...immediately followed by a second one just because that's how Judau rolls. IMO, easily one of the best non-combination musous in the game. Has an argument to be flat out the best ground musou thus far. Only drawback is that it's a slug. Except if you doubletap the dash button it turns into a plane which moves very quickly and eats up less thruster then normal dashing. Yeah, the ZZ can basically do everything.

Qubeley: Specifically Haman's version of it. They actually slightly changed some moves between the Qubeleys now. This thing is fun for one reason and one reason only: lightning fast officer killing. Zero Range Shot + Chase Drive means that very few things can survive even two shots of her dash charge(she throws something like 5-6 funnels out in front of her in a tight fan. If you're right on an officer when you do it, you can hit them with most of all of the funnels. The aforementioned parts sharply boost the damage on *each individual funnel*). The Mk2(Puru Two) has a similar dash charge that actually focuses the funnels on one point, which should in theory be better for officer killing, but I find it harder to hit with. Anyway, the rest of the Qubeley's game is...alright? Good musous(the ground one is good for getting people off you when you're surrounded, the air one moves you forward quickly so good for escapes), and there's nothing glaringly bad about the other moves, just not great. Still, that dash charge.

Burning Gundam: Domon has become a kappa. Spin spin spin~ that is all he needs to do. Magnetic Field + Square Drive and you will seriously never need to use anything but his C4 ever(except maybe on higher star maps on hard. Then you might need his musous from time to time. Maybe). He has a really nice C6 too...except there's no reason to ever use it. Sure, more damage then the C4. Worse coverage, slower to come out, doesn't last as long, can't be used defensively. They really needed to switch those moves. What the fuck were they thinking making Burning Slash Typhoon *better*? It was already one of the best C4s in DWG2!

Turn X: SHINING FINGEERRRRRR!!!! That is all.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 14, 2011, 04:58:45 AM »
Final Fantasy 4 The After Years - Finance is Hard, I Wanna Go to the Moooooooon

So Kain meets with Cecil and it's kinda awkward and then he find Ceo again. (Fuck!) So we then go through a cave, Ceodore 'falls down a hole' while trying to escape from the creepy creeper Kain and Kain jumps down with him. So much for the grand escape. Kain reveals he wants to kill a dragoon from Baron or something, blah blah his past haunts him.

NOW WE CAN CHOOSE SCENARIOS! Cool!

So I pick Edward, figuring maybe it would be short and inoffensive or something. Boy was I wrong.

The first thing we establish is that Harley, Edward's secretary, is much more competent than him. "Hey we are in debt, we owe money to like the entire world." "I KNOW BUT I JUST WANT TO PLAY MY HARP AND THINK ABOUT MY GIRLFRIEND I BANGED FOR A YEAR WHO DIED 18 YEARS AGO AND TALK ABOUT WHEN MY FRIENDS WENT TO THE MOOOON AND HOW I MISSED IT" and then he fangirls over Cecil. So we have dreams about Anna. C'mon, this is pathetic. Harley is way hotter than Anna anyway, she's got the hot librarian thing going on. Anyway, we figure out that Ed doesn't get much respect in the world, everyone calls him Your Highness like a prince. It's almost like they recognize that he is incompetent and very unconcerned with actually ruling the country.

So anyway, a meteor falls and Harley goes to investigate it. In classic Edward fashion he wants to come to shirk away from all responsibility help Harley with the investigation, but she is like stfu. Edward tries to sneak out of the castle but he takes guards. Bardsong is terrible. OMG I LOVE USING NOTHING BUT THE ATTACK COMMAND. If you find pushing X a lot thrilling then you'll love Ed's chapter. I have to express how much fun it is to play with the three guards who have no skillsets. It is like the best idea ever A+++++++.

So we find Harley and come back and Cecil is revealed to want exclusive access to the meteor or something, so Edward and Harley go to see him and brings flowers. How sweet of him. We go through a lot of caves and then... HARLEY FALLS SICK WITH DESERT FEVER . SERIOUSLY?! She is even laying in the same bed as Rosa. Seriously. Edward gets the guards to stay with her, which establishes who the real monarch is. So Edward has a flashback to Anna and Tellah (sigh...) and then he in goes alone and gets the Sand Pearl (why send the king/prince for this job??), which can only be gotten on a Full Moon so you have to waste Tents on getting to the full moon. Oh well. So Ed goes back and SAVES THE DAY and then we go to Baron and see Yang, who is also visiting Cecil. His boat gets mysteriously crashed. I wonder who did that?!?!?

So we meet with Cecil and he's acting weird, being all formal and forceful about their interaction (although he could possibly be kinda normal, it's not over the top or anything.). Edward calls him "My Lord" which establishes who is the bitch and who is the butch in this relationship. Edward is very sad that Cecil is possessed and left SPY FLOWERS where he overhears E. Cecil plotting with a woman to take over Damcyan (like that's hard). THE PLOT THICKENS.

While Cecil possession is way too much like the FF4 plot point (wow, so shocking for this game!), it makes sense. Baron is clearly the most powerful country around and mind controlling the king again feels logical enough.

WHO SHOULD I PLAY AS NEXT?!

Porom, Palom, Edge, Yang, KAIN, and Rydia are the choices.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:26:48 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: July 14, 2011, 05:40:32 AM »
So I finished Bayonetta a few days ago. For a while it didn't look like I'd beat it before RH, but hey, it is a fair bit shorter.

Fun fact: I totally didn't notice that you could buy witch hearts (max HP upgrades) until the last three chapters. Whoops. This probably made final Jeanne needlessly, punishingly hard, but it's all good fun.

Overall it's a pretty solid game, and it's easy to see the Devil May Cry 1 and God Hand in the game, which makes sense considering the director. Of course, considering those were already my two favourite action games, this is a good thing! The game has great random enemy design in general; all of them are distinct and you do fight them in rather different ways, which is nice. Definitely a pretty big deal to me. Bosses are interesting enough, they're sort of God of War-ish from what I've seen of that game, but with a better combat system. I generally enjoyed most of their fight designs. Overall they're decent on challenge but the checkpoints are kinda unnecessary in some cases, oh well. Nothing HM can't fix I'm sure. The last Jeanne fight (as mentioned) and Temperantia (second major boss) were the ones I had the most trouble with, but all of them were at least competent except perhaps Fortitudo (first boss, whatevs), and Balder (kinda disappointing but oh well). Incidentally, since I suck at this game and die a lot, the only two non-stone awards I got outside the prologue where against those two bosses (bronze and SILVER!!! respectively).

I really like witch time and I think it's immensely stupid that the highest difficulty does away with it, but it's not the first time that a highest difficulty setting would do something lame. Hopefully Hard is cool, for all that I'm more likely to replay Normal first and deal with all those damn stone awards taunting me. A few fights in Normal stripping you of Witch Time is fine since it made them extra hard (gold Grace and Glory oh shiiii-) but yeah. The mechanic really rewards watching and learning enemies which is pretty much the best part of the genre to me anyway!

The game is amazingly over the top which is always fun. LUKA is pretty great, definitely one of the game's stars in his goofiness. The plot in general is very silly; taken seriously it would probably be pretty bad, and it does devote a bit too much time to said plot (ludicrously long cutscenes around the last two chapters or so in particular) but ultimately sceneskip says this doesn't matter too much at worst, and I enjoyed the silliness enough to watch all the cutscenes anyway. Otherwise it's... yeah. Action zaniness taken to yet another level. I wasn't expecting a game to so blatantly top DMC3's "ride a motorbike straight up a tower then use it as a weapon" sequence but this game very, very much does. It also manages to integrate more of its over-the-topness directly into the game itself which is pretty fun. Also DID MY HAIR JUST EAT A BOSS?!? The game is also clearly hardcore trolling monotheistic religions with the whole "you are a WITCH and you summon DEMONS and you kill ANGELS (also the final boss is God, only female for an EXTRA level of trolling)" but unlike say Xenosaga I come away from this unoffended because it's so blatantly doing it for giggles and not to say deep things about religion and philosophy. Your milage may vary of course.

Aesthetically, while I have some predictable qualms about Bayonetta's design, I think the design of the angels is pretty excellent, and otherwise the game is certainly pretty. Musically... it's a bit of a mix. On the one hand, I think the game shows decisively that "Fly Me to the Moon" is not well-suited to be a battle theme. On the other hand, that track that plays for the last stage the archangel boss fights is just perfect as an example of what game music does well: really sets the scene beautifully for "yes I am going to beat this guy this time!" while still sticking within the musical style the game has adopted.

If the game was going to have loading times, then I think the game came up with the greatest loading screen ever. I doubt I'd have wanted to practice much otherwise but a little practice time while loading is just perfect, as is showing you the various combos. The game is fairly polished in general (e.g. the tutorials for the skills you purchase).

The game has an array of nagging weaknesses which keep it from being amazing to me, since in principle it feels like the game could have been my favourite in the genre to date pretty easily! Not to dwell on the negative to long, but they are:

-The game walks a fine line with the whole fanservice thing and sometimes it just gets embarrassing. I can deal with it when it's fitting in with the whole "This game is stupidly over the top" thing but then you get things like "hey guys let's watch Bayonetta pole dancing in the ending credits" which is just ffffffff.
-The game feels cluttered. Most of this can be ignored but it's kinda annoying: if you're going to have a crazy-high number of attacks that you can perform, do we really need like six different weapons as well? And the shop is so crowded I managed to miss something that was disproportionately important; mostly my fault but still questionable design there. The menus also felt a bit crowded and unintuitive (so I mostly ignored them!).
-Varying the gameplay is cool and all and sometimes works well when it's short (e.g. the FPS sequence in chapter 15). However, the highway and space harrier are places the game falls very, very flat. The former is the worst stage in the game and the latter would steal that mantle except Final Jeanne is awesome. The former is ultimately inoffensive, just exceedingly dull, while the latter... needed to be half the length or have twice as many checkpoints. I actually used my one and only item against the space harrier boss after a couple deaths, not because I couldn't win with perserverance but because I just wasn't enjoying it. I don't even MIND redoing large parts of stages upon death (I mean I think having three lives a la Mega Man is pretty optimum) but not while playing a goofy sub-genre sequence which is definitely not the reason I'm playing the game. Also barrel rolling making the screen spin is -idiotic-.
-And finally, it's ultimately minor but the game really didn't need to default to "no" to almost every choice. Be less like Suikoden 5 please.

Anyway, the game is probably somewhere in the general ballpark of an 8/10 to me, I kneejerk it a bit below DMC1 and GH due to the above flaws but it's still very good despite my objections. Pretty easy to see where the hype comes from.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1740 on: July 14, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »
Ciato, Edge's tale is probably the best one. Your choice if that means to save it for last.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 14, 2011, 08:14:51 AM »
Play Kain next.

Bayonettas!!1-- Because I beat it when I was at Elfland I suppose I should say that mostly what Elf said but on Very Easy so I am totes a million times bettern with silver stautes all over that shit omg.  I also didn't see those witch hearts in the shops, but they might not have been there on easy?  Not like the game needs to be any easier on Very Easy I mean.  The Pole Dancing in the credits didn't offend me so much, I am pretty sure it was their way of actually showing the Mo Cap person doing their actual motions that were used for combat and put them in a slightly more normal setting.

The overall exploitative nature though yeah bugs me to hell.  I guess it was funny sometimes how far they stretch it?

On the other hand, I loved the music.  I love Fly Me to the Moon and think they actually had a pretty good version of it that they used, the one time they tied it in to the actual plot was actually pretty good (although Bayonetta didn't have the strongest singing voice).  They just play the song OVER AND OVER AND OVER which kind of kills that cover.  Hasn't really impacted the other versions of it I love though.

MEGAMANS X - So I played this also on super easy lamer mode.  Got up to Wily 3.  The checkpoints broke me.  Beat that hard platforming section that they did nothing to make super easy on super easy lamer mode?  Died to the boss?  Okay you go back to before that.  That is cool.  I soldier through that while swearing like a sailor (apologies to Elves and Ciatos for that.  Not to Mages though.  They needed to hear that.  It was an important life lesson.)  Get to boss rush.  Nope.  Not happening.  Ragequit after trying to do Blade Man a few times.  I just can't get through 8 fucking bosses on that health bar.  It is not happening.

Gods I hate boss rushes in main games.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 14, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Breath of Death VII: Picked this up on Steam. Man, hard mode does not dick around. By midgame, 90% of enemies are faster than every member of your party, and they hit hard enough that the SaGa-style "full HP at the start of every fight" system is no guarantee that you won't get wiped out in two rounds. Luckily you can save anywhere. Anyway, just recruited Erik. LE BRAINS!
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 15, 2011, 03:36:59 AM »
Infinite Undiscovery: In the beginning. Ok, watching videos of the game made it seem completely awesome, but I'm already starting to see the problems.
- Why is the lock on icon so big and so red? Sometimes I can't even see properly what the enemy is doing because I'm targetting him. WTF? And there's no way to not target enemies, unfortunately.
- No satisfying way to evade/block enemies beyond just moving away. This game needs a roll button, better guard and more agressive enemies.
- Connecting with other PCs is clunky. I knew about it but it's worse than I thought.
- You can get your first sidequest by talking to one of the prisoners at the beginning twice. Archaic game design here. (this is just an example)
Yeah. I'm a bit disappointed. There's no particular saving grace either, as plot/characters/setting are pretty much stock JRPG with nothing interesting going on, unlike some other Tri Ace games like VP or RoF.

Lost Odyssey: Disc 3. The plot thickens and the party splits up! (Which is fine here) The music gets really good too.
There's still a lot of nonsense though, which doesn't really work for a big realistic game with voice acting. Like, two ten year old kids stealing a train, two other people stealing another train 10 minutes later in the same station, the bad guy's evil laugh being used as a plot device, etc.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 15, 2011, 07:09:42 AM »
Playing Resonance of Fate makes me want to play Infinite Undiscovery again.  RoF makes IU look damned good by comparison.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 16, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
FM5- Finished! Really good game.

The good:

Changes to the link system, including friendly fire. The entire system's more flexible, which is good! Gameplay definitely toned down some of the broken of FM4 and generally tried to make things interesting with  more customization, a rougelike dungeon where you get upgrade points for wanzers and rare gear, and letting you recruit pilots so you can build your unit how you see fit. The story is pretty good, it tells the story of one main's rise through the military, leading to the elite anti terrorist group.  Game's challenge is generally even and solid throughout. The arena (while cash grindy) way less of a fucking pain in the ass than FM4's cash system.

The bad: FM5 definitely suffers from lack of characters. The story itself is fine, but Walter doesn't have much personality. For that matter, the only characters worth noting are Lynn, and Hector/Randy to a lesser extent. You don't get a group dynamic like FM4 had because you've only got a few plot characters.  The main missions *reaaaaaaaaaaaallly* needed to give you more money, the game literally tells you to abuse the arena for cash. Sloppy design there. On that subject, I never felt the need to actually change pilots. Your starting six team is quite good enough, and while you can rotate, there's no real benefit to doing so. Eh. The translation was also really literal at points. I am not going to hold that against either the game or the translators, since fan project and it was a massive undertaking.

My complaints are generally pretty minor with the game. It's very fun and definitely encourages replay. NG+ and hard mode? Score.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1746 on: July 16, 2011, 01:20:37 AM »
Playing Ogre Battle for the SNES (and by playing, I mean jumping around with various downloaded save states so I can finish it in a few hours). Got to the part where you recruit Rauny, and she's being pursued by Ares, some bandit sent by her fiancee.

Ares: I was sent by Baron Apros, your fiancee. "I'm crazy about her, I can't live without her."
Rauny: I'd rather die than go back there.
Ares: Let's see if you fight like you talk! The Baron did say "dead or alive." Hah, hah, hah!!

Ew. Is the necrophilia implication intended or is that just poor localization?

Anyway, the game is still an eyesore, but at least I've got a better idea of how it works now to help Neph with some hacking.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 16, 2011, 03:11:19 AM »
You can't be distracted by dressing up your characters in Infinite Undiscovery though.
Granted, I admit have given Capell the skirt he eventually gets for the rest of the game.

Lost Odyssey: Oh my god, AWFUL theme song. I want to listen to Tears of Blood now. Why is Jansen humming this, of all people?
I must say that I didn't suspect the bad guy to be the bad guy in that game at all, UNTIL I saw that he had a massive house with a beautiful garden. I'm hard-wired to think that rich = evil in work of fictions!
Cooke is a bit disturbing. She's a 10 years old who behaves like a 10 year old, but who has a distinctively mature face, and wears heels and a miniskirt. ...Yeah. There's worse in other JRPGs, I guess.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 16, 2011, 08:31:15 AM »
Considering how the leader of her people dresses, Cooke is still very conservative in dress...
...into the nightfall.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 16, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
Ew. Is the necrophilia implication intended or is that just poor localization?

I replayed OB over the last couple weeks (for PSX, though) and was struck by the shoddiness of the localization in general. Also by the fact that oh my god did they really steal the ewok chant from RotJ's finale for the ending theme? They did.