Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267460 times)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1800 on: July 19, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
finish SMT: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call
This. :)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
buy FFV

The story's pretty crappy, but it has the best gameplay of the FF series.  So depending on if you are a story or gameplay person you may like it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 19, 2011, 10:28:49 PM »
Hard mode is just a goddamn struggle to survive in every battle. I've never been pressed this hard in an SRPG once I got good at it.

And this ladies and gentleman is why you should play X-Com.

My vote is for FF5.  There is a bunch of people playing it in Chat for a challenge, so now is a good time to jump on the bandwagon as there will be plenty of good reliable help around.  Edit - Also FF5 is glorious for the smashing.  Forget about doing it on a replay, it will just happen first play through.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 19, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »
I'll echo the FF5 support, just cause its a decent game worth playing at least once.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 19, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Blazblue (both games):  Been grinding some achievements out.  Beat Hell difficulty arcade mode on both games with Tager.  Unlimited Hazama > Unlimited Nu, but Nu is certainly no slouch.  She was doing 43-hit combos on me *without* distortions.  Talk about some serious hangtime for Tager.  The achievement names in Calamity Trigger are so much more clever than the ones in Continuum Shift.

Dungeon Crawl:  Been playing a lot of this lately.  Best character so far was a Hill Orc priest of Beogh.  Got to depth 19 of the main dungeon with my army, then fell down a shaft to depth 21 (leaving the WAAAGGH behind).  Got killed by an Orc Sorcerer who refused to acknowledge me as the Messiah and swarmed me with summons preventing my movement.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1805 on: July 20, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
Hmm... thinking on it. Yeah, FF5 is perfect for CT. It has adorable little girls who talk to animals and you can make everyone in your party a Dancer. CT-bait if I ever heard it.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »
Nocturne has ADORABLE Jack Frosts and Pyro Jacks and Pixies and (not so adorable) BUTCH PIXIES, though. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 20, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »
SLRPG - Not much progress today, got to Rosetown and bought some stuff.  Forest maze tomorrow.

Lufias - Okay so it got to fucking stupid again.  Earlier the game made you go into the Ancient Cave, it was okay, it was just 10 levels and you kind of steam roll through it okay.  Later on they make you go back and it is 15 or so levels and they have another fucking cock blocking boss battle where stuff hits to fucking hard.  I think I have levelled off the summons as much as I did in the dungeon itself trying to kill Idura.  Things inflict status that halves your damage.  Your item pool is massively reduced and entirely at the whim of the RNG because it is the Ancient fucking Cave.  Things don't hit hard, but they hit very fast and a lot of times.  Hard to dodge as well.  Bullshit bullshit bullshit.  Edit - and another case where one use of Retry +, giving 5 more levels was the difference between painfully stupid and manageable fight.  Goddamn.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:12:38 PM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 20, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »
Strange. I stopped playing that Lufia because things were getting sub-Rhapsody easy and I was just incredibly bored, the ancient cave being a sad shadow of its former glory. I just kind of gave all the attack gems to one character and never used anyone else. Everything exploded and bosses lasted 5 seconds. Did you do that? (I don't remember if you get to keep gems in the cave though)

LO: Temple of Enlightment -> NOOOOOOOOOO!
Wow, I take it back about optional dungeons all being easy. This one has monster enemies and monster puzzles. I spent like 6 hours in there, then checked a faq, figured out it was all hopeless, gave up, went back to it the next day then completed it . Now I'm trying to find my way back.
Since experience works like Suikoden, one battle = one level up. My immortal characters went from level 50 to 85 in that one dungeon. It's not even a big dungeon! It's just evil.
Doublecast is... excellent with those passive skills that reduce casting time.

The DLC dungeon looks... disappointing so far.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:23:46 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »
That is the problem, fights go from "enemies can only do 1 damage to you" to these two specific fights that were a boss 3HKOing me with attacks I couldn't consistently dodge in a long boss fight and this one which was summon spamming with nearly unavoidable and unremovable paralysis which halves your damage.  5 more levels and I easilly had the HP to make the former easier to deal with (Real issue with that fight is the hit boxes on some of Gades attacks are stupid big) and in the latter gave me the offense I needed to be able to manage the fight.  For perspective, the Idura fight that I was just raging against I spent 15 minutes on trying to dodge and slowly kill him and the summons.  With 5 more levels it was a 30 second fight because so much less of it was spent on the defensive.

In all other cases?  Game is stupidly easy, like I was confused for a while why anyone would ever bother dodging.

Edit - So the prince and princess of Bound and Gratze just got married.   Talk to the priest after the wedding and it turns out it was Pvt. Pyle.  Now if you know Full Metal Jacket fairly well you should be creeped out.

A few of these problems would really be alleviated if the game had any consistency with when it decides you have been hit and to make you invincible.  There are times where you can get hit and knocked down and the game will happilly lay into you for 5 hits (or in the Gades fight, just straight up hit you 3 times for that 3HKO damage).  In others it will go into it straight away.  It is inconsistent and thoroughly annoying.  Specifically annoying on the Gades fight was the lava surrounding him.  If you touch it you can pretty much write off half of your health because it will hit you 4 times before your invincibility frames kick in.

Which leads to another stupid thing in the Gades fight.  Jumping off the platform does less damage than his attacks.  There was distinctly attacks that it was a better idea for me to jump off the platform and just be invincible for them than actually try to dodge the giant fuck off boulders he was shooting at me or the second hand when he smashes down with both hands one after the other.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:23:34 PM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 21, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »
Yes the game was not well balanced. Sometimes substractive defense works, but definitely not here.
Gades was BS indeed, but I guess other bosses were too busy dying for me to notice their damage. I stopped at the tank.

LO: Finished. Sweet ending I guess. They didn't go with the obvious annoying morality ending, blah blah we were not meant for this world let's all go back.
The bad guy was really lame though. And I still don't really know what exactly happened to Kaïm's daughter. It's weird.

So, Gongara actually just pushed her off a cliff? Then she somehow survives but later gets sick and dies because of a completely unrelated sickness? Huh.

I still need to finish the Backyard and DLC dungeon, but I'll do those later.
The DLC dungeon is basically one place where everything went wrong because of a mad scientist and you can find some notes showing why (It's a lot like Resident Evil, Bioshock, etc), you keep going down for a lot of floors, there's no savepoint and there's apparently an uber optional battle at the end.
It's also kind of lazy since it's the same room repeated 30x.

The game got less close to FF near the end with the sidequests and general lack of challenge. Still, I give this game a rating of Alternate FF/10. It's pretty clear that it's made by the same team with a *relatively* lower budget.

Ms Splosion Man: 1.9 Go? Wow.
It takes some time to adjust. Remember: Hysterical hyperactive girly girl mindset.
Already great.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:39:48 AM by Fenrir »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1811 on: July 21, 2011, 06:39:37 AM »
FONV: Old World Blues is finished. Gref and anyone else with taste should play this immediately. It is awesome.

This plays more like Point Lookout in that you just get cut loose in a new area without getting your shit stolen or anything, and there's lots of stones to turn over. The writing is top-notch, and it really captures the old super-science sci-fi film feeling.

Favorite line? Probably the Courier's "looks like this place got tag-teamed by a pair of Fuckbots."

Favorite character? I thought it would be Dr. Borous, until I met Dr. O (Rusty Venture).
But then? I met the toaster. The toaster is my new favorite and he is a toaster.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:05 AM »
I bought it as soon as it came up on Steam that I could see, think we had a couple of days delay for some reason.  Will play it when I get back to my run through again.

Fenrir, the boss in particular is the one after the tank.  Stopping after the tank is pretty justified.  That was also a stupid boss fight, but not for difficulty.  Also of course it could have just been I was RNG screwed on a bunch of things because lol boss in the Ancient Cave.

Just got Artea.  For some reason he is Neo.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 21, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
Favorite line? Probably the Courier's "looks like this place got tag-teamed by a pair of Fuckbots."

The intro has a lot of Words but it's okay because most of them are hilarious (and barely anyone can refrain from adding an exclamation mark after SCIENCE).

Anyway, just explored a couple areas so far. Oh hey what's that miniature deathclaw oh god where are my HP?!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 21, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
SLRPG - Beat Bowyer without much trouble.  Beat Punchinello with some fairly abusive save state usage to get timed blocks in where first time through would not normally happen first time through (bomb from nowhere attacks okay react).  A few save states just to use Psychopath just to check HP values (lols someone is totally using it Laggy).  Jump is still Mario's best damage for now I think, need to fish how much I can comfortabley get with Super Jump without being save state/slow down abusive, think it is 12ish which put it at about the same power as Jump was for me but with so much more effort.  So meh.  Imagine Mario will change things up a bit when I get more accessories and don't want to wear Jump Shoes anymore.  Geno Boost timing is honestly pretty fine when you know where it is.  Might grate more if you were used to different timing, but for me?  Meh easy as.  I still miss it sometimes, but that is just when I haven't used it for a while on trash.

Saving up Frog coins for Scrooge thingy to use with Peach.  Might change that later of course or just change plans but that is how things are going.  Chain pulls of 3 packs of Goombas with no armour and solo Mario still hardest thing in the game due to not knowing timed hits.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1815 on: July 21, 2011, 09:43:23 PM »
FONV:  I just killed the man who invented Cazadores.

FUCK YOU CAZADORE ASSHOLE.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 22, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »
OB Neph edition: Just got Brunhild. It's been a pretty fun ride so far, though it's pretty beta and there will have to be balance changes.  It's been really fun so far.

FM5- Just beat the oil rig on hard mode. The game's gotten a little easier, but if you misstep you are going to pay and pay bad.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:13 AM »
Final Fantasy IV The After Years - Because I Block Out Good Gameplay, Apparently

Ciato, remember to keep Rydia with you later on, so you can get the summons back later on.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 22, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »
I didn't plan to get the other DLC after Honest Hearts... Damn. 20 less bucks.

Infinite Undiscovery: A giant red bear named Gustav joined my team.
I want to like the gameplay and get into item creation, but it's meaningless unless you do some self imposed challenge. The gameplay is broken at its core, like Fallout 3 / New Vegas (Games about ressource management where your companions have infinite health and ammo. Don't worry NV, I still like you, but be less stupid next time)

The basic healing spell heals 30% max HPs and costs 5 MPs. 5 MPs is -nothing- at the beginning of the game, and this will get more and more ridiculous as the game goes on (since that healing spell stays as good, while the MP pools get larger and larger) The only way to die is having NPCs fuck up or having bosses OHKO, pretty much.
I think I'll play solo or without healers next time. (on harder modes) I'll just smash things and not worry right now, and leave crazy challenge + useless item creation (Oooh yeah, writing books. I want to write books) for later on.

Every cutscene in the game is:
The main character is a nice enough musician, but everyone treats him like shit because he looks like the legendary Sigmund, a hero, and doesn't save exactly as many baby seals as him. They treat him like shit in various different ways. This is every cutscene in the game. I'm guessing he will have some "character development" later on and realize he should be "less of a coward" even though it's everyone around him who's batshit insane.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:58:38 PM by Fenrir »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1819 on: July 23, 2011, 01:56:16 AM »
Really, if you aren't saving baby seals, what are you even doing with your life? A musician?! What do they contribute to society? Buncha hippies. Fall in line, work for the community, get a haircut, be more Japanese.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 23, 2011, 02:05:09 AM »
You seem to miss Japan already.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 23, 2011, 03:52:42 AM »
Radiant Historia - The recap!

It's a strange game, but I mean that in a good way. I think it's a pretty rare example of a game that does almost everything well, but nothing in a way I find outstanding. I can't really think of much like it. Maybe it's this generation's answer to something like Phantasy Star 4 (or, if I belabour the time travel point, there's always Chrono Trigger!). This isn't bad at all, I've just gotten too used to going back and forth between games that excel only at plot or gameplay besides a few favourites (okay, I lie, aside from Suikoden I just play the ones with good gameplay these days <.<).

On the gameplay front, Radiant Historia takes a pretty simple gimmick (the ability to push enemies around in various ways) and runs with it rather nicely. It keeps randoms consistently fresh and exciting as you have to find ways to deal with them efficiently. This is fun! You get new moves (which affect the strategy here) at a pretty good clip for keeping things fresh, although it is arguably a bit slow early on? My main complaint there was probably more that it took ages for PCs besides the main three to be terribly relevant + around for a long time, though.

Battle design was generally quite good. I think there was a lack of good boss battles early but around midgame this changed in a big way. Even before then there's a few surprisingly interesting fights against elite enemy soldiers and the likes (basically suped-up-randoms) but then chapter 4 hits and oh god that Thaumachine time to actually form a real strategy! The Spider that followed not too long after was also decent albeit in an incredibly straightforward way. Ultimately I think I only had resets on two bosses (Thaumachine and the last boss before the final) but I felt challenged often enough. The game also started having some pretty good randoms which can beat you around if you don't take them seriously, especially if you get ambushed.

The game does the usual Grandia/etc. thing of "hit enemy before battle to get advantage", something I'm kinda neutral on. Takes a little more patience sometimes because you may have to hit them multiple times. Whatevs, I guess it's different at least and I can't really recall being annoyed by it. I'd say this decision would make encounter control suck but the game gives you a way better version of that anyway about a third of the way through. Props to it for that.

Storywise, hmm. Not really what I expected? The game takes quite a serious tone and sets out to tell what... would be a fairly generic if enjoyable, almost Suikodenesque war story spliced with the impending doom of the world. I say "would be fairly generic" instead of just "generic" because, of course, the whole time travel business. Although it sometimes caused a few plot points to feel a bit convoluted as time travel is wont to do, overall, I thought it was handled well. It certainly gives the game's story its own unique flavour and that's something I appreciate a lot. So you have a modestly creative story that's in a style I enjoy (it doesn't wallow in the tropes of the genre I find distasteful) and even if it didn't blow my socks off at any point I will say I generally found it quite solid.

Cast is also fairly generically solid, though they do vary a bit here. None of them get quite as much character depth as I'd like (it's not the type of story that stops to have lots of character introspection). Stocke is, of course, the highlight. Sporting more depth than most of the cast, he also manages to just come across as a generally cool and competent guy. He makes his share of mistakes (especially in some of the bad endings!) though on the whole has it fairly together for an RPG main (which fits with his age and profession). He's not going to be my favourite main given that, yeah, he is reasonably straightforward, but he's still very well-executed and generally plays his role well, balancing nicely the competent special agent personality without falling into Gary Stu cliches or spouting faux-badass lines at every turn like some of that type.

Rest of the cast is... hm. I do like the main villain. His setup is generally good stuff, Miang-ish even. I felt they fell maybe just half a step short of convincing me about his motivation (Stocke bought it more than I did, but... I guess that's fair, given the situation) but only a half-step; they did a pretty good job with him. The other major villain (who had me pretty convinced that he was the main villain for most of the game) was a very effective douchebag and I do like his type, although he's not quite as good as another similarly-motivated villain from a game I've played within the past year! Not too much to say about the rest of the villain cast. I kinda wish Dias and Selvan hadn't gone out as total morons but oh well.

Other PCs! Rosch is the favourite of the non-Stocke crew, with Eruca, Raynie and Marco also working fairly effectively. Rosch kinda gets less important in the back half of the game but he's very important and quite well-done in the first; the game totally had me buying his and Stocke's relationship which is crucial to both characters. Gafka... had real problems existing. Aht was a bit annoyingly clingy, but at least it's reasonable for someone her age. It just felt a bit unnecessary, since it was also spliced with her keeping a secret or two too many. So those two are certainly the game's weak points cast-wise, but hardly fatally.

Aesthetically, well. Visually the game is pretty straightforward and I have few comments on it. The music deserves a bit more note as being quite good almost without exception (I do like Alistel's theme in particular), though it is a pretty small soundtrack so occasionally it feels a bit repetitive.

Cast gameplay comments! Note that I missed almost all of the optional skills.

Stocke: Stocke's big thing is pushing enemies wherever you need them to be while having generally pretty solid stats. He plays a pretty crucial role in randoms because most everyone else is worse at this job, although non-Stocke parties would be workable. Otherwise, against solo targets he uses Air Assault, and he has a bunch of decent healing moves. G-Fire gives him some damage, but that's super late and even then not amazing; generally you will use someone else as your cannon.

Raynie: Once you get that first spear that boosts MAG a whole bunch, Raynie settles into her role as that cannon. She gets plenty of elements to play around with. Her optoins besides the main spells feel kinda limited, but whatever, you need someone to kill the things everyone else groups up. Outclassed by Eruca eventually (but temporarily) but even then you might want to go back to her for having the best durabilty of the high-offence types.

Marco: Marco is this weird kinda support dude. Sure, he gets healing, but it's not too special because of items. He gets some battlefield control (in particular, Grapple, which Stocke misses) though low power means he's not the first priority for using it. But... mostly, he is about a couple neat buffs, and Trans-Turn. Trans-Turn makes up for his own skillset/damage failings, since it's dirt cheap, and lets you pass other turns to Stocke and your cannon. Since his durability is okay, he's a solid choice for a third for much of the game. EDIT: Oh yeah, All Recovery is really great and hard to replace against the final boss, that deserves note! Got pretty lucky by using Marco there.

Rosch: It's so hard to form an opinion on Rosch, because the dude's never around. Literally does not exist for almost the entirety of one of the game's two halves means he's really underlevelled. Since his speed is bad I didn't feel like I was missing out on a huge amount either. LVP.

Aht: One of the three choices for party cannon and generally felt like the weakest of the three. Traps are quite problematic because a lot of critical enemies can't be pushed into them which makes her near worthless. Even when they can be, against randoms, it's inferior because you'll always get one less enemy... more damage tends not to make up for this. Of course, she's quite good against the bosses that -can- be pushed so I could see her use rising with knowledge of upcoming bosses. Outside traps she doesn't really have anything that excuses the bad durability, best healer probably but see Marco about that.

Gafka: Well, he certainly wasn't fixed in value as the game went on! Initially just bad, Stocke with a bit higher power/HP but minimal pushing ability is not what you need for a third at all. Then he gets Quigong Wave and becomes serviceable since uh that is a really powerful physical move. He also gets some GT pushing abilities which have uses, especially Echoing Impulse for the grouping effect. But Wind God Strike. Oh my god, that move. Missable, but with it he just becomes MVP in randoms period late. Less versatile against bosses though clearly.

Eruca: Cannon! Eventually. Just bad at first. But once she actually got a spell besides that non-elemental garbage she started with and her magic lead on Raynie opened up she became really good. Some decent GT spells mixed in there too even if "let others group things for her -> G-Frost rapes" usually felt like the best strategy. And then there's Trans-Turn in case you don't need her own tricks! She outclassed Raynie pretty badly despite the latter's advantages late... then she vanishes for the last two dungeons and only returns just in time to be useless for the final boss! Oh well.

Final party was looking to be Stocke/Gafka/Eruca but then no Eruca meant Raynie drew back in, and Marco was a better fit for the bosses at the end so he drew back in then, and so ultimately my final party is what I predicted! But at least it ended up a more interesting cast than I was anticipating.

Final time was about 28 hours, endgame level 50-53, game gets... I'm still waffling between an 8 or a 9. As I said initially, it's not a type of game I have an easy time rating, so I'll have to chew it over some.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:51:04 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1822 on: July 23, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
Trails in the Sky- Is good.  Recommended.  I want to rank Olivier and make Sage write about him.

Not much to say, since I intend to write a proper review and all.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 23, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
Mario vs DK: MLM - Finished

The ending for plus mode was pretty bad, and the prize for trophying all levels wasn't worth it. Still generally enjoyable.

Puzzle Agent 2 - Finished

I like how there didn't end up being any closure regarding the missing persons. And if that postcard is supposed to be a sequel hook, it isn't a very hooky one.

Fine in general. Overly short. The first was also overly short so this isn't a step back at least.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 23, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
You missed all of Marco's optional skills?  That is a real shame, I think a few of them are actually pretty easy to get and square control goes far on him (also speed buffing accessories on him are fantastic and let him really shine.  Not just for the control options, but it just gives you even more options with Transturn).  Not shocked to still see him be a solid party member though.  He is probably the one that benefits from them most honestly and they are the simplest thing and come so early.  Aht's would be far more decisive if they weren't so late.

Raynie's optional skills are pretty much entirely worthless to her yeah, G-Skills 4 Lyfe yo being core skills for her was a good choice. 

So glad that you enjoyed it all the way through though Elf.  Also internal consistency!  So important in story telling.  They do it and it is awesome.

Edit - SLRG - True fact about how this played out.  Booster drinks Toadstool's tears.  So I decide that Booster is Laggy because he drinks your tears.  Then Booster and Bowser make out.  I see.  Edit 2 - Okay, so Bundt's mechanics are as entirely impenetrable as expected.  Fuck you SMRPG this is a terrible boss fight.  Laggy working with it is cute, but this is terrible as a core fight given how little explanation you have to work with.  Blow out the candles.  Okay.  How?  Space. Edit 3 - Seriously?  Basic physicals was the only way to do that?  Fuck you game.  Fuck you in your stupid fucking face.  Edit 4 - Okay cake beaten in a knock down drag out shit fight because I refused to restart the fight after blowing a ton of resources on the second phase of the fight.  Mallow died.  I needed to save state abuse a bit to get blocks.  Cake wanted to gang bang on Bowser.  Could have won fairly easilly if I used a Pick Me Up or a MT healing item, but haven't used any yet and was wondering how far I could get without them.  Investing in HP has been a good choice so far on Mario, Mallow probably needed some more but I for some reason was trying to salvage Thunderbolt into being anything but the weakest of trash clearing skills.  Another level (I am overlevelled) will get Shocker and then I imagine the M.Atk squatting will really be helpful, but more HP now would be better.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:58:51 PM by Grefter »