Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267377 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2125 on: August 29, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
It isn't so much a top-break revolver though as a revolver that twists open vertically.  It is just strange.  Regardless I don't seemhow even antop break revolver is of particularly noteworthy sturdy construction compared to a revolver with a single piece frame.

I don't find the pimp the big draw card.   Not in a game with a solid built 40 year old dude with a wicked beard and a secret past of being way to smart and nice. Oh and he is an artist.  I would go gay for Jowd.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2126 on: August 30, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »
DX3- I have a silenced assault rifle that fires guided bullets and it's not even my favorite weapon (that is a refrigerator). Currently fighting my way out of one of those kooky capsule hotels. This game owns.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: August 30, 2011, 01:44:57 AM »
Tactics Ogre: *Cursed Bow drops*

... it's like the game wants me to break my Archers even more.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: August 30, 2011, 04:03:44 AM »
Radiant Historia: Chapter 4s.
Game got difficult, especially with that battle against one thaumachine that summoned a few voltorbes. Fortunately, my incredibly underlevelled party seemed to be the best suited for the job: Rosche could 2HKO the bombs with his column attack and they only self-destructed two turns after being summoned. Ayt laid electric traps and Stocke pushed the thaumachine right into it when they weren't busy healing.
The duel against Garland was pretty ridiculous too, ultimately pure mage Stocke (after pushing Garland to the back row) did the trick.
Great boss theme, by the way. The Edge of Green.
The plot is a little less fresh right now on the other hand.

Infinite Undiscovery: Near the end. I think.
After some research I've discovered that there's a max HP+20% book in this game. You can farm the ingredients for this book and get an infinite amount. Max HP, that way, is 2 199 000 000. (While max displayed HP is only 99 999) Utterly ridiculous.
Near the end of the ant dungeon I opened a trapped chest. My main character and my healer got petrified, only my bear was left. Unfortunately, bears may take up two character slots, but they can't use items. FUUUUUU... Lost 30 minutes.

Devil May Cry 4: Halfway through on normal difficulty.
Incredibly beautiful game.
I mostly suck at it, but I'm starting to get better. I even got an S in one mission... Amongst all those other Cs. My only other experience with the series is DMC1, where I only played on normal, spamming the shotgun like crazy and having countless resets against a giant spider.
The grappling move, doublejump and thrusting slash are pretty overpowered, I'm mostly using those when I'm not trying to show off. (So basically only against bosses) The guns, meanwhile, are awful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:05:22 AM by Fenrir »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:56 AM »
Wizardry 5: I have no idea how I got on a kick for this. Watched a bunch of terrible VLPs for it, then decided to play it for the hell of it. I am L9 or so, and am on the third floor right now. Game is as unpolished as you would expect from a early 90's SNES port of a PC game, but I still enjoy it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: August 30, 2011, 04:23:59 AM »
*reads up

My dear Mugen... when did Fudo sunk that deeply into the depth of netherworld?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 30, 2011, 04:32:25 AM »
It is all developing as we have foreseen, Niu.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 30, 2011, 04:41:19 AM »
*reads up

My dear Mugen... when did Fudo sunk that deeply into the depth of netherworld?

See, you start to get all crazy when you pump out things like NaNo.  See weird things, hear weirder ones.  Then one time, the voices, they make a lot of sense.  You won't be needing that foot, or sense of dignity after all.  And then they get you on the pyramid scheme.  I wanted the Sphinx dammit!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 30, 2011, 06:30:49 AM »
Fenrir: Yeah, that Thaumachine is a good and fun fight. Didn't have as much trouble with Garland personally but I could certainly see how a few levels would make the difference there, not one of those joke duels you often get in RPGs certainly.

My only other experience with the series is DMC1, ... having countless resets against a giant spider.

Sounds like everyone's DMC1 experience ever.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 30, 2011, 08:03:26 AM »
Saints Row 2 - Criminal Laggy is too awesome for my computer
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
BoF1: Replayed this while streaming the entire thing for chat's sake!  I learned after beating 90% of the game there were equips that RAISE encounter rate and I was using a few of them throughout...oops <_<;

Metroid Fusion: Started this up spontaneously.  Got to Area 3 after beating some giant snake boss.

BoF2: See BoF1?  Yeah, now we're doing that with BoF2.  Not much outside of early game GRINDING!!! has been done.

FF3 (NES): More streamingness, just beat Garuda.  Showed off what happens if you fight Garuda WITHOUT Dragoons.  I think someone else can speak for me here <.<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 30, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »
BoF1:  I learned after beating 90% of the game there were equips that RAISE encounter rate and I was using a few of them throughout...oops <_<;

...That explains a lot. Is there any documentation anywhere on which equips these are?
...into the nightfall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
Gown and the SageML.  Both only work on the party Leader though.  Given when you're likely using these, this explains why Tower of Karma and the Krypt seem to have stupid high encounter rates.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 30, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
Madden 12: Picked this up at the madden release. It's fun (Though the interface is on the clunky side) and it's just goddamn pretty. Playing the Redskins in franchise mode- Grossman throws too many picks, my RBs are injury prone, and my defense constantly has to bail me out. In short, it is pretty accurate.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 31, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »
I'm knee deep in some Tales of Vesperia action right about now.

Yuri is an interesting main. he isn't aggressive, or annoying. He does not have any glaring flaws and he is easily likeable. On the other hand, he is rather plain sometimes, but if that is my biggest complaint about him...I can deal with it. I slapped on a black pimp hat. That boosts his coolness factor considerably.

Also, the scene with the magistrate was pretty shocking and well deserved. JUSTICE!

Estelle has some crazy defense going on right now. She serves as healer, back up damage dealer AND tank? If Yuri wasn't so easy to use I might try to run around as her, but people would probably die a lot if I did. *whistles*

Repede is good, but damn those flying monsters. The AI just does not get it.

Judith is fun to use also. Still not sure about her motives though...

Rita is interesting. MY GF plays as her when she wants to jump into the game. My advice is to SPAM SPELLS AND PRESS B! It works!

Karol is a character I don't care for too much. I enjoy the moments he has with Yuri enough, but eh...

Raven is the comic relief. I love comic reliefs. I hate archers though...

Everyone is likeable enough. The battle mechanics are fun and I have something around a 40 hit combo as a max so far.

I bet I'm missing a crap ton of secrets though. I just went to sleep at a random Inn and learned a move with Yuri. I did that somewhere else and learned one with Judith.

I just finished the desert and now I;m in some magical fantasy town that does not age I think? I dunno.

This game is so awesome. Multiplayer RPGs ftw~
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »
I hate archers though...

I hate you.  Go away :(
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
Radiant Historia: Finished the duels.
After losing a little more than half HPs, Garland uses his second buff and starts dealing strong 2HKO damage every round. Stocke just couldn't keep up with that at all in my case. I had to do a ton of damage + use a Turn Break at the right time to win.

Infinite Undiscovery: Finished.
Least threatening looking final boss ever.

Good lord.
On the plus side, I think he acted like a jerk because of Ethereal Queen, if I understood everything completely. Those optional bosses are finally starting to become relevant to the main story!!

A few endgame fights gave me resets, but I had done absolutely 0 item creation / sidequests, and my healer hated me and often refused listening to my orders (because I didn't give her tea and let her die too many times or something). And she was being overall dumb. Still, fun enough fights for me.

I'm going to play on higher difficulties before passing judgement on the game, but it's not stellar. A real rushjob. Could have been fantastic, but wasn't.
Gustav is the best character in the game. He's a giant red bear voiced by a human, and it shows. Just imagine a normal human being saying "GROAAAR". Hilarious. This really enlightened every single battle in the game after I got him. It's at times like this that you realize how voice acting has enhanced the RPG experience.

The moment you've all been waiting for, and I'm sorry to disappoint:
The game never explains what an infinite undiscovery actually is.
My own guess is that it's a reference to the title itself. There's an infinite number of people who haven't discovered what the hell "Infinite Undiscovery" means. There you have it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:21:25 AM by Fenrir »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 31, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
Holy shit, the last boss of Infinite Undiscovery is Vigoro from SoA with a new haircut?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 31, 2011, 06:45:18 AM »
Yes.
The new haircut being long purple braids.
BTW he's a god.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Now I want to play this game.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2145 on: August 31, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
Well I'd hope so.  If you look like that and AREN'T a god, I want to know how you survived childhood.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 31, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »
Presumably by showing people your abs.

"THIS is a structural wall!"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 31, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »
Ghost Trick - Finished.  Last few sections had gameplay in the toilet.  Was still fun to watch, but late night almost finished game want to stop and sleep got me using a walkthrough.

Still gay for Jowd. Pimp MJ was more rad at the end also.

I am torn now, I want to lend it to my mum and sister to play, by the gameplay really suffers when it stops being about funky Tim Burton Machines (forgot actual name, comedy option.  Alternate choice was Von Neumann Machine, but that may have read as an actual mistake).  Might see how the sister toughs it out.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 01, 2011, 03:48:55 AM »
Bera is not a god. The real god who created the IU world is Yuno.
But Yuno got fed up wuth humanity and want to leave this behind, and he let the strongest human back then to take his post, who is Bera.
But Bera found himself got cheated. Instead of having sovereignty over human, he got locked up in the moon and force to be human's man servant for eternity.
The result is what we see in game, he tries to destroy the moon and replace human that were created by Yuno with his own creation.

I.Queen supposedly has a role in this too. But they cut her off as they couldn't find a place to fit her in.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 01, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
Deus Ex 3-

Well, I'm just about done.  Game's doing a damn good job of engaging me so far; I feel like my decisions on augments and methodology both have meaning to them, and they don't always show what it was right away. Sometimes it's further down the road, when you're not expecting it.  The environments are impressively large, and more than anything else, they feel more like actual cities or factories or offices, rather than "levels."  Lots of things to explore and find, with rewards both tangible and intangible.

Weapons are all kind of suited to a specific thing, and you are of course free to augment yourself for more carry space so you can use more.  Stuck mostly with the 10mm and the combat rifle, though I carry a sniper rifle for emergencies and a revolver for maximum coolness (and exploding bullets).  The only design decision I really question is the battery recharge, where only the first recharges on its own, making expanding capacity mostly useless.  All in all, even augmented all the way with dermal regeneration you can't just walk head first into a firefight, you have to think ahead and use your augs, the environment, and surprise to get the advantage against a group.

Plot is standard Deus Ex conspiracies, also loaded with foreshadowing of the first game.  The hobo in the Detroit basketball court explaining literally the ENTIRE PLOT of Deus Ex 1 to a crowd was pretty goddamn hilarious.  I realize that everyone has an angle and you can only trust your handler and your chopper pilot because it's fucking Deus Ex, but still seeing how everyone's plotting unfolded was, as usual, quite enjoyable.

Boss fights are tough but doable once you realize you should use the environs against them.  Tried to take the first guy head on for a while before I started trying that and it worked like a charm.  Also once you get the lift strength augment you can start using refrigerators as giant moveable cover while you throw barrels like Donkey Kong, which is fun.

All in all, unless they totally blow the whole thing in the last half-hour or so, I would say this game is a solid GotY contender. It is a game that actively tries to engage you in the gameplay itself, the metagaming that is using the limited amount of upgrades on a larger pool of available augments, and the game's plot.  I recommend it unless you have taste equal to or worse than NEB's.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:13:55 AM by Rob the Stampede »