Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267288 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2400 on: October 06, 2011, 02:11:03 AM »
Demon's Souls: Games opened up, giving access to 5 main areas.
World 1 has instant kill dragon roaming around and me having to run around helplessly, and a pack of dogs, maybe the hardest enemies to handle in the game.
World 2 is easy but has a completely crazy boss fight.
World 3 has humans with squid heads. They ring their bells and I'm owned. I lost two times before being able to kill one (and it's the first enemy I see)
World 4 has, as the regular random enemies, skeletons with crazy mobility rolling around like they're at the Olympic games.
World 5 has the least safe layout ever. It's a wonder why my character is not dying, every second. As a bonus, rats and strange spiders that can poison and give the plague.

Beating one of those seems unreasonable at first, but world 2 gives a lot of stones, so I could forge some great falchion and shield fast enough. Then... Well, you get used to the challenge and surprises.

I got my first multiplayer experiences in World 4.
- One guy summoned me in his game. He followed me around like I knew what the hell I was doing. After a lot of dead ends, we both beat the boss together. I gave him an S rating because he was cool and we ruled.
- Then I summoned another guy, a really powerful pyromancer. I got jealous, then he got OHKOed by the boss. Not a problem as he's the easiest boss so far, in melee combat.
- Then a player invaded me. (trying to kill me) I ran to the beginning of the stage, and saw him. We both looked at each other.... We both knew I had already lost. Then he started to use some potion and put some stuff on his dual swords. WAIT WAIT WAIT I start attacking, feeling fully protected behind my massive shield. Big mistake here. The last thing my character sees is his adversary bowing to his victim.
This was great, I'm going to do that to everyone in Dark Souls. And we'll all be pathetic newcomers, not just me!

I still don't know how I'm supposed to learn magic.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:54:26 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:27 AM »
Demon's Souls: Games opened up, giving access to 5 main areas.
World 1 has instant kill dragon roaming around and me having to run around helplessly, and a pack of dogs, maybe the hardest enemies to handle in the game.
World 2 is easy but has a completely crazy boss fight.
World 3 has humans with squid heads. They ring their bells and I'm owned. I lost two times before being able to kill one (and it's the first enemy I see)
World 4 has, as the regular random enemies, skeletons with crazy mobility rolling around like they're at the Olympic games.
World 5 has the least safe layout ever. It's a wonder why my character is not dying, every second. As a bonus, rats and strange spiders that can poison and give the plague.

Beating one of those seems unreasonable at first, but world 2 gives a lot of stones, so I could forge some great falchion and shield fast enough. Then... Well, you get used to the challenge and surprises.

I got my first multiplayer experiences in World 4.
- One guy summoned me in his game. He followed me around like I knew what the hell I was doing. After a lot of dead ends, we both beat the boss together. I gave him an S rating because he was cool and we ruled.
- Then I summoned another guy, a really powerful pyromancer. I got jealous, then he got OHKOed by the boss. Not a problem as he's the easiest boss so far, in melee combat.
- Then a player invaded me. (trying to kill me) I ran to the beginning of the stage, and saw him. We both looked at each other.... We both knew I had already lost. Then he started to use some potion and put some stuff on his dual swords. WAIT WAIT WAIT I start attacking, feeling fully protected behind my massive shield. Big mistake here. The last thing my character sees is his adversary bowing to his victim.
This was great, I'm going to do that to everyone in Dark Souls. And we'll all be pathetic newcomers, just not me!

I still don't know how I'm supposed to learn magic.

Didn't know the PVP servers were still up.

You need a high enough intelligence stat to have slots.  Go talk to Freke's Apprentice in the Nexus.  He's sitting on the wall in the area behind... I think the Valley Archstone?  Miracles are from the guy sitting in the area near the blacksmith.  You'll need a Catalyst to cast spells and a Talisman for miracles.  I know there's a Catalyst in 1-2.  Good luck with the dragon run.

Meanwhile I will have a post about my deaths in Dark Souls sometime soon!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 06, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »
Since I'm nearing the end of my Disgaea 4 playthrough, I decided to continue to catch up on my N1 backlog!

What? No DLC? Tyrant Arc and Fuuka Arc is waiting.

That hasn't been released yet...

This was great, I'm going to do that to everyone in Dark Souls. And we'll all be pathetic newcomers, just not me!

btw that's out so you should get on that.  I.e. bring it on.

---

Dark Souls - I died.  Nine times.  Harder than Demon's Souls so far.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2403 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:42 AM »
Since I'm nearing the end of my Disgaea 4 playthrough, I decided to continue to catch up on my N1 backlog!

What? No DLC? Tyrant Arc and Fuuka Arc is waiting.

I normally don't do DLC anyway, but yeah, I'm living in the States now, so it's no available here yet.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 06, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Well, the European server is up at least. Dunno if there is only one worldwide one. I hope so.
About magic... I think I'll forget about it alltogether, but it's nice to know. I've already spent all my money on vitality and stamina.

I've invaded someone else, we both seemed to be newcomers. He was doing more damage and had some magic, but I could roll around. We both were on the defensive and couldn't keep each other from healing. Eventually I made him bleed with the falchion (a slow poison), and attacked relentlessly without guarding to recover stamina faster. He died, I got my soul back, I felt good, then guilty, then good again.
Just rescued Yurt (I'm already spoiled), getting to the boss.

I'm dropping this as soon as I get Dark Souls BTW Tal. Probably monday or tuesday.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:49:04 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 06, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
What was originally supposed to be a post clearing up my thoughts about Record of Agarest War Zero instead turned into that plus what was going to be Star Wars Force Unleashed 2.  Except I beat that in four hours and started Batman Arkham Asylum.  So after getting about halway through that in a day and going to sleep immediately after then picking up immediately the next day then getting to the final boss fight on Sunday but not beating it then because of time then on Monday the time I could have had to beat it was taken by TV right after I woke up.  So of course the sane among you would be wondering what was so important at 7 AM or whatever and I laugh at thinking I woke up that early since I woke at 9:30 PM.  Then Tuesday was a wash.  I beat it Wendesday, barely, but was crippled with sickness with which I've only just now recovered.  Just in time to start Dark Souls.  So without further ado... a thing!

Record of Agrest War Zero The Finalish Thoughts.  No, this deserves its own post later.  Much later.

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2: This game, is short.  Obnoxiously short.  Like, if I paid 60$ for this--or paid at all--I would have returned it.  And I've like, returned only one game ever in my life.  The game is fun and all, better then the first for combat since everything isn't as stupidly durable, but it's just too damn short to give much of a damn.  And the Dark Ending is even dumber then the first game's, which is impressive.

Batman Arkham Asylum: A good game I was really, really bad at.  Predator was fun, freeform I was just so terrible-bad at it's not even funny.  Most bosses were dumb.  Good story and at.  Etc.

Dark Souls: Nine times eh?  I'm at...

Let's see: Asylum demon, Tauros demon, falling in pits twice, wasting all my Estus fighting the black knight that I can't survive the gauntlet over to his position, dragon, black knight, Capra Demon, Capra Demon.  Huh, nine too.  Freaky.

The game itself just has this completely alien feel to it compared to Demon's Souls, which is... something.

Anyway, I rolled myself as a Knight with Master Key gift because apparently you can't get it anywhere else.  Since I watched the other run through the Undead Asylum--because unlike Demon's Souls this game doesn't even bait-and-switch you being alive at the start to give you hope, no, you start off as an undead monster and you'll like it dammit.  I actually kinda sorta knew what to expect and how to fight the boss!  Who in the grand tradition of bosses is a giant fat bastard.  But this time I get to plunge my sword into his face!  After I don't and get brutally killed.  Dark Souls!  Rematch I actually win though.  Spiffy.

The bonfire and Estus system is very different.  I've yet to make my mind up about it--I suppose I will once I figure out if I can kindle two bonfires at once.  But having limited healing that refreshes at a bonfire and the inevitable death but revives all enemies is certainly a thing.

Tauros Demon I again fail to sword to face in time and die.  Second time goes swimmingly though.  Then the half-second warning before the dragon fries because I wasn't at full health because I was out of Estus and didn't want to fight the annoying gauntlet to get back here happens.  Giggity.

So I snipe that bastards tail off and get me a Drake Sword!  With over twice the power of my normal sword.

So then of course I must confront my hatred of tight paths over deadly drops and rats and giant boars and giant scary guys at the top of towers.  Except maybe that last one.  Finally find a blacksmith!  Except I have no upgrade materials.  But I find one immediately!  And get something to boost the healing of the Estus flask!  And find the next boss!  Who I cheese by outnumbering with NPCs!  Then I find and fight the fourth boss!  Who kills me so fast I can barely recover my bloodstain before he kills me again!

Clearly I need to brave the Valley of the Drakes first.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 06, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
Honestly, I found that a good healing system is one of the only little things missing from Demon's Souls, I'm glad they changed this.

One other thing: Change the boss music to Drakengard's music. Like, Ninth Chapter Above Ground against the Armored Spider. Wow. I guarantee 120% more deaths against bosses on average due to people panicking.

Anyway, I beat the maneaters and stole Yurt's helmet. I look awesome.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 06, 2011, 11:59:27 PM »
Dungeon Crawl:

8086140 Emmie the Imperceptible (level 27, 193/193 (194) HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Conjurer on Sept 30, 2011.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Oct 6, 2011!

The game lasted 19:51:35 (214006 turns)

http://pastebin.com/cqNJ6kF5
http://pastebin.com/cmPNWSQB
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:09:20 AM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »
Sengoku Basara 3: Magoichi shoots things, they explode.  She shoots more things, they explode more.  She gets a gun with 500+ Attack and 4 accessory slots, bosses in the final level just sort of freeze to death!

...this makes more sense if you've actually played Sengoku Basara...maybe...

Keiji Maede is next it seems, no clue what to expect with him...except a lot of delusions of grandeur...

Wild ARMs 4:  Replayed and finished.  Games about as what I remember it...which is a good thing because I had pretty high respect for it as is!

A few things to note about this replay though. 

First off, I banned Intrude...entirely.  Why?  Because I abused the fuck out of it my first game, I wanted this game to make me use the other characters more than just filler until Raquel got her first turn!  As such, instead of fights being "Raquel gets a turn, everything dies", its "Raquel gets a turn, one hex worth of enemies die!" ...barring those situations where Evil Blossom/Exorcism was set up to kill things and then sometimes, I didn't notice the lack of Intrude.  Generally, my respect for Raquel is...unchanged.  Even though I didn't get a Tiny Flower until the Railroad tracks (instead of Wunderweltrum due to insane luck on my end my first playthrough)...which I know is still early just more reasonable, she was still just what I remember.  A nice strong cannon!

Respect for Yulie is up.  I was healing a lot more than I expected and Revive came in handy.  Further, Material kicks ass if you actually get a turn on an elemental hex with her.  There's also more enemies than I remember being vulnerable to Sanctify, albeit, not QUITE enough to earn it hype, more just make it not negligible.

Respect for Arnaud down.  He was performing well for a good part of the game, but then after a point his offense sort of became lacking until he gained Hi Blast and by then, I was mostly using him to get turns for the sake of more Hi Gems, which I guess is a use.  He was still great for bosses, and wasn't useless, just I definitely that yes, I can justify a full point ranking between Raquel and Arnaud.  Even with taking Intrude out of the picture, Raquel was good at what she was, I expected Arnaud's use to jump up but actually it just highlighted ways to make Yulie and Jude useful.
One thing that stood out to me was Arnaud's complete lack of MT damage.  Raquel has Evil Blossom/Exorcism (I got Exorcism right after the train, and don't regret it), which are quite potent.  Yulie has Material and Jude has Mystic.  Arnaud, unless I'm missing something, doesn't have anything.  This isn't a big deal early on but later in the game, it started to stand out.  Furthermore, I noticed the game throws more Anti Magic enemies at you.  To his credit, my respect for Jump is up, so there's that!

He's still probably 2nd best character overall in the game, I'm just not sold on him being in running with Raquel anymore.

Jude...for a while, yeah, he's what you expect.  Though in fairness, I didn't realize until late that Ley Points strengthen their opposing elements, which would have improved him a little, as I was using a lot of Mystic Gems which had varying effectiveness levels.  Furthermore, in hindsight, he could have been even better if I gave him that first Tiny Flower, cause DEAR GOD does Mystic improve dramatically with that.  As the game went on, he got gradually better...and in the final dungeon?  Clear MVP.  I totally didn't see this coming.  How did I make him this way?
First off, Bee-lined to Rapid Attack.  With that, Cat Paw, Tiny Flower, and focusing entirely on Attack in his ARMs, Jude's damage is actually pretty good and can OHKO a good amount of enemies (not as reliably as Raquel mind), and of course he has range and doesn't worry about fliers.  Furthermore, due to Rapid Attack and his speed, he's getting A LOT of turns.  I know Tiny Flower on someone fast feels counter intuitive, but giving Jude that Extra OHKO potential on his physical and Phantom Line is a nice boon.
Next off, Mystic Hi Gems.  These things were ripping apart the final dungeon something fierce.  This is why I cared about Arnaud getting those Gems.  Jude standing on an opposite Hex could One shot a lot of enemies with Mystic using a Tiny Flower, often things that survived were ones that resisted the damage or ones standing on a hex that resisted it.  And even when he's not OHKOing, its enough damage that anything following up can kill.  It was shockingly effective.

My end levels were 44-47, which is about 5 lower than what my first file was, so um, yay?

Oh, one last thing:

Anybody who claims WA4's theme is Kids vs. Adults needs to be punched.  That's a GROSS oversimplification of the theme to the point where its insulting and completely misses everything.  Yes, the game's theme deals heavily with Kids and Adults, but it deals with it on so many angles that to just say "Kids are good, Adults are bad, lulz!" is simplifying it for the sake of making the game look bad.  Do you have to like the theme?  No, of course not, but if you're going to dislike it or put it down, at least have enough respect to recognize what the theme actually is.

And yes, I intend to make a FULL RANT on the game's theme at some point...but not here.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 07, 2011, 02:31:44 AM »
Shut the fuck up Meeple.

--

So, I know not many people play Minecraft here, but recently I've been playing a parkour map made in the game.  It's pretty fun though I'll admit a large portion of the fun I've derived from it is breaking out and exploring the wiring of the place.  I found it interesting enough to link here so deal with it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=45uX3JsDfkk

Download in the video description.  Requires 1.8.1 and I have no idea if it works on the 1.9 pre-releases.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:34:06 AM by Makkotah »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 07, 2011, 03:46:40 AM »
Might want to avoid this if you care about Dark Souls encounter spoilers!

Dark Souls: Ten back-to-back deaths tends to blur things.  Or would if each and every one of those deaths wasn't from the exact same thing in pretty much the exact same way.  The Capra demon is the biggest cheapest son-of-a-bitch I've faced in probably ever which... given the company here isn't saying much but I still have my kevetching to do!  His boos room is freaking tiny--fast roll covers a good portion of it end-to-end--so of course his attacks hit 9/10s of the bloody area.  And they're so damaging blocking is useless, and if you do magicly block one the super-fast second swing will get you.  If you even get that far because as soon as the fight starts he opens up with an actual unblockable attack that lays you flat.  by the time I got up he was winding his combo.  So, clearly I have to roll around but ha!  He has help.  In the form of two extremely fast moving dogs who just love to get in your way and allow the Carpa to kill you.

Also I figured out you can have multiple kindles.  Yay!

I made the run to the boss so many times I could actually go without damage...  But it was still useless because in the closest attempt I had I still burned all five of my flasks and using two rare Humanity to increase my flask size then lose'em again on the bastard was just not something I wanted to do.

So, I went elsewhere.  Next to the blacksmith is another place that the other showed me, so after literally only beating the guardian monster for this location because the blacksmith was nearby to repair my weapon, I got to moving in.  I go and fight the next black knight and kill him for a nice soul reward.  The enemies in this area are a bit tricky, and they love to ambush.  I also fall to my death trying to get to another bonfire, when I'm supposed to attack the wall instead.  Yippie.  This is kind of a weird place for one too since the bonfire near the blacksmith isn't too far away.  Normally I'm starved for these things, so whatever.

Next area has a bunch of giant stone soldiers.  Who despite being made of stone are giant and can thus actually move.  And they cast a slow spell.  Goody.  But I eventually managed to clear the area and get a full armor upgrade.  Yay, maybe it will help with the Capra--haha no.  So, I continue along and meet the boss.  Who I promptly die to because I'm an idiot.  And on the run back I completely screw up one of the enemy ambushes and am now down another 10k souls.  And if it's not clear the first 10k lost were from Capra.  But whatever, I get back to the boss, kill it, and have a merry old time over its corpse!  Unwilling to go any further, I grind a bit and upgrade my armor. 

After this I deciede to return to the wonderful Undead Aslyum to... pick up an inferior shield and trade some stuff with the crow.  As I am a fatass I can barely make the jump.  So when I don't I find the stash of goodies I never saw before.  Then find out there's apparently a graveyard filled with death behind Firelink.  Well, more death then usual as a bunch of skeletons pull themselves together to have a very good go at your entrails and don't feel like giving you any reward for killing them.  Anyway, when I successfully get back to the Asylum I successfully die horribly as the floor in the area where the Asylum Demon was drops out and before I can even recover from the fall damage stagger the new Stray Demon boss kills me.  And sends me back to Firelink.

Getting back I avoid the mysticlly restored floor and touch the fire and try fighting it for real only to somehow be hit when it breaths flames when I'm behind it.  Bah.  I leave and go and kindle the closest bonfire to Capra and have a Round 50 or so.

Which he wins faster then usual.  Goddamn.  OK< so trying to tank this isn't working despite one of the prime points of Dark Souls being armor should be a viable choice to fast-roll.  Except here.  So I lower my armor to allow the fast roll--learning I actually had lighter armor that was actually more defensive then my starting gear... and have a Round 347.  This time I actually win and have horrid shouts of joy and terrible thoughts of doing unpleasant things to its rotting corpse.  And my reward is.... a sewer key.

The game doesn't hate you, it hates everyone.

I'm not going into a sewer without preparation.  I go and upgrade my armor until I can'ts no more.  Kill the third Black Knight.  Somehow kill the red dragon(I'm still not sure how that happened....)-unlocked two more NPCs at Firelink including the pyromancer.  Who was actually in the opening area of the sewers but eh.  Find out the Miracle guy's maiden has arrived to do whatever now.  Now he won't offer miracles but I don't care.

Going into the sewers when I actually leave the beginning kitchen area and approach some nice treasure I become intimidatingly acquainted with the insides of slime anus.  It promptly becomes friends with the Drake Sword and death.

So of course the next part is swimming with the things.  And they give no souls because why.  After them is a door where the Master Key proves useful for once and actually gets me something.  I think.  A Bonfire!  Which I kindle because I know I'll be in here a while.  So, heading further in, past the giant rat, to more rats, so many rats.  Get a key for later.  Find out I can actually headstab the giant rat and go to do so only to miraculously fail and have to run away and slip down the slope into who-the-hell-knows.  Where I begin my carrier of wandering aimlessly by wandering into some sort of giant frog who spits plague or something.   Who dies in one hit and gives 300 souls.  This'll be farmtown for a while I see.  So a bit further in and my returning to human form comes to bit me in the ass as I get invaded by someone.  Only to actually pull off the miracle of miracles and win.  Precious Humanity!

After killing probably 30 frog-things I finally get a second ring--Black Eye, no wait Evil Eye.  Restores HP on enemy kill YES.  I go a bit more and find the vendor who sells... OHTHANKGOD the storage box.  I was sick of scrolling past a dozen swords and worthless helms.  He also sells armor that's better then my +++ gear of course.  But will it beat ++++ because one of the slimes dropped what I needed?  Probably but screw it.  This is cheaper and the newer armor doesn't boost Poise anyhow.  I find my way back to the Bonfire and quit because the next thing I see was the Boss door and I'm tired.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:57 AM »
Anybody who claims WA4's theme is Kids vs. Adults needs to be punched.  That's a GROSS oversimplification of the theme to the point where its insulting and completely misses everything.  Yes, the game's theme deals heavily with Kids and Adults, but it deals with it on so many angles that to just say "Kids are good, Adults are bad, lulz!" is simplifying it for the sake of making the game look bad.  Do you have to like the theme?  No, of course not, but if you're going to dislike it or put it down, at least have enough respect to recognize what the theme actually is.

Uhhh.  What?  I'm not sure what exactly you're complaining about, but kids vs. adults is kind of indisputably a theme in WA4.  *A* theme, not *the* theme for sure...  but the game is not really subtle about this.  So not sure what you're getting at with "oversimplification."  As a reminder, this is a game where a bunch of teenagers fight a bunch of twenty-thirty-something super soldiers by noting that the twenty-somethings ruined the world for today's kids.  The twenty-somethings were of course ordered around by 100-year old greybeards who are selfish hypocrites and thus even eviller.  Sympathetic adults like Hauser, Gawn, and Jude's mom all have shady pasts that they're dealing with.

To be clear, this is fine.  While I have my problems with such a theme in the abstract of course, I'd argue that WA4 at least embraces it well enough, and it fits the setting - the previous generation ruined everything and did evil crap, but hope remains in the future by those untainted, etc.  In fact I'd even argue that it's probably done well enough to be a credit to the plot, unlike some of the other thematic angles which fizzled out (Lambda's motives!  The war criminal stuff!).  But it's definitely there - the theme "actually is" the hopeful kids of tomorrow vs. the compromised old remnants of a world at war.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:20:40 AM by SnowFire »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 07, 2011, 07:22:32 AM »
tl;dr Shut the fuck up Meeple.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 07, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Y'know, if you can't resist the temptation to make rude, worthless-to-the-discussion-at-hand "shut the fuck up" responses, you could at least have the decency to direct no more than one to a given post.

Snowfire: I'll let Meeple defend his own post, but I will say that
it deals with [the theme] on so many angles that to just say "Kids are good, Adults are bad, lulz!" is simplifying it for the sake of making the game look bad.
is spot on. I don't disagree with much you say in your own post, though, so I get the feeling this may be more a matter of miscommunication than actual disagreement.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2414 on: October 07, 2011, 08:27:42 AM »
GrimGrimoire: Finally got around to starting this one. (Yeah yeah, I haven't finished ZHP yet, but PSP is such a hard system to play on reliably...)

RTS play is decent. I like the units and balance, but the maps take so. freakin'. long.
So far the thing I like best is how amazing the spritework looks. Vanillaware is doing its thing well. Second to that is the plot itself, which is actually a really fun "who dunnit?" mystery story, though it has little impact on gameplay, which may be a turn-off for some.

My main complaint is that the gameplay and story/characters have basically nothing to do with eachother. If there was more... relatedness in the game, it'd be one of my favorites. As-is, it's an enjoyable distraction while I wait for Disgaea 4 DLC. ^_^

tl;dr: Nippon-Ichi, let me give you more of my money~

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: October 07, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
Demon's Souls: Too many posts, I know, but...
I have this hat.

BTW, Rank Old Monk.
He summoned a pretty good player in my game and the battle lasted for ages. The guy died because his armor was too big and he could't roll around. (I could run away to heal easily, he could not) I put a lot of pressure on him after he tried throwing fireballs at me, dead guy.
Naturally I tried old monking the same thing to someone else. But that person died to the squids and I got the hat.

I also beat a pro who invaded my game!! I AM GOD. *falls down a bottomless pit ten seconds later, dies*
He was rolling around everywhere, and nuking my defenses with a greatsword. After a while he started using a spear that was doing crap damage but completely destroyed my equipment (Crazy. Thankfully broken can be repaired easily, but not inside the battle) I ran the hell away to restore my weapon and put some sticky white stuff on it (ew) I then used a weaker mace that he destroyed too. This lasted for a while, then he got cocky and reequiped his greatsword, I switched to the falchion and hacked away a few times. He panicked, tried to run away, I backstabed and win.

I also brutally murdered two innocent players like they were civilians.
Is there a faster way to do an emote action than pressing X for a few seconds? I tried bowing but I'm not sure my adversaries could see it before disappearing.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 07, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
There can never be too many posts about Demon's Souls.  Also the only real rank is Red Eyes Knight.

The emote thing... uh, well it's only one button press in Dark Souls!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: October 07, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »
Snowfire: I'll let Meeple defend his own post, but I will say that
it deals with [the theme] on so many angles that to just say "Kids are good, Adults are bad, lulz!" is simplifying it for the sake of making the game look bad.
is spot on. I don't disagree with much you say in your own post, though, so I get the feeling this may be more a matter of miscommunication than actual disagreement.

I was gonna do this, but I did just make a big mega rant about the theme of WA4 and displaying my point there, so I think its better you just go there and look at that.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 08, 2011, 06:26:58 AM »
Dark Souls: I have upward of 20 deaths. I'm doing something wrong and not sure what. According to Tal, I should not be battling skeletons or undefeatable scythe arm ghosts yet immediately following the Undead Asylum. So that may be it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 08, 2011, 06:35:48 AM »
So I just finished Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

Wow, this game was really good! Fourth Castlevania I've played and by far the best.

Let's start with the obvious: challenge! The game is certainly quite tough, but in a very fun way. Going save point to save point in a stage is typically not trivial, and bosses, aside from that scrubby first one, are brutal, but very well-designed for the most part. About the only one I found at all frustrating was Eligor, and that was mostly because it takes too long to kill off all his legs and those crossbows before the final stage which I found very unpredictable/difficult to dodge, but it was frail enough to item-spam through, so eh.

But even aside from that, the game's gameplay was a notable improvement on previous games. The glyph system worked really well. Weapons not only felt more varied and interesting than in past games, but they integrated them nicely with spells, and as a result I found myself actually using a wide variety of different attacks to deal with enemies. My biggest complaint was that I'd be constantly switching between them by going to a menu... and about ten minutes after I realised this was going to be a problem, the game handed my the glyph sleave. Awesome. Granted, I did sometimes wish for even more glyph slots as I certainly did end up having to do some menu-swapping, but in general it worked well enough, and three sleaves is a pretty good number so you're always one swap away from any give one at any time.

The game also fixes another of my main gripes with Castlevania, the large hitstun from previous games. Combat felt much more fluid and fun than any previous games.

The game is the most linear of the Metroidvanias I've played, which doesn't bother me at all of course, but it's there. I like it well enough, it breaks the game up into pretty manageable chunks, though I did appreciate the return to the big epic-feeling castle at the end. Quests and stuff... a bit too much rare item farming but otherwise fine, and they at least make the townsfolk personalities memorable. Overall not a terribly important part of the game anyway.

Plot doesn't exist much. Not really great when it is there, but it has sceneskip for when you inevitably die to a plot boss for the second, third, fourth, and twelth time.

Music is solid enough, but I can't remember too many standout tracks. The first section of Dracula's castle is probably my favourite.

The game isn't perfect. My chief complaints are the amazing Castlevania tradition of keeping a decent chunk of the game hidden behind a FAQ-bait requirement (yes, I could probably have gone around destroying walls to find the two villagers I'd missed. Not really my idea of fun, though) and the lack of documention about the glyph unions (the game doesn't really reward testing them because keeping your hearts full = more monies).

Will definitely replay this though. Aw yeah Hard Mode, sounds delicious.

Glyph notes...

Confodere (rapier) & Secare (sword): I liked these, and often held one of each. They could be spammed very quickly and generally were optimum damage against any boss I could stand in place and hit, even beating out weaknesses. Slash also seemed like an incredibly common weakness to boot. Rapiers were faster but swords are stronger and have overhead, so it's nice to have access to both.

Hasta (lance): Seemed like a crappier rapier. Yes, a bit more attack and a bit more reach, but losing the mad spammability = meh.

Falcis (sickle): Used this some to pair with magic when I wanted slash damage, since its slowness is less big of a deal when not spammed. Kinda abandonned it as time went on and just stuck with the swords though.

Arcus (bow), Culter (knives), and Ascia (Axe): Magic generally felt better for range. I guess these do slash damage, but if I wanted that I could close to melee and do huge damage. Did get some use out of the first bow, but then the second had a pretty bad firing direction so screw that.

Macir (mace): Oh look, after fifty million slash weapons we get hammers, which actually have a different damage type. Pretty great for things they hit weakness on, and I used them to complement spells if I was expecting to want blunt damage in particular. Also quite damaging, though slow, so not optimum at raw offence... except against Dracula who you have to jump to hit anyway. So yeah, dual hammer beatdown was all the rage there.

Lapiste (stone fist): A bit more range than the hammer. Not wonderful, but I liked to pair it with...

Nitesco (laser): Range is awesome, and the hits really add up, and you can launch it and move backwards while still facing forwards which has plenty of use. Very solid magic attack.

Ignis (fire): Didn't like either of these much. Found the three flames to be very weak. In theory it's fine at short range, if I'm there why not melee spam? Most things weak to fire were weak to something else anyway (often light).

Grando (ice): Only got the upgraded version. Decently damaging area of effect bomb-type move, and destroys the sand shark boss which is nice. Didn't use it too often but it was quite handy at times for that large coverage.

Fulgur (lightning): Again, only got the second version, but you get that really early. Homing damage is nice (oneshots frail enemies), and great underwater where it hits weakness on everything. Pretty undamaging when it doesn't hit weakness (so basically worthless unless the enemy has 10 or less HP) but there's enough things to make it feel useful.

Luminatio (light): Duh, you're fighting the legions of darkness, so of course you face lots of light weakness. That pretty much make these useful by default. Even the first version, which has a laughable MM5 Power Stone-like trajectory, is useful due to this. Second version with its homing is pretty great and managed to displace physical spam against two bosses!

Umbra (dark): Well, correspondingly, element concerns make this one less good. Still, a few things are weak to it, and the homing trajectory.

Custos (Cerberus attacks): Felt like Lapiste but for slash. Serviceable enough, but you don't have it for long, and since swords are faster they have less of a niche.

Magnes (magnet): I really liked this one and thought it was a shame it wasn't used a bit more, but I guess they wanted you to use other glyphs and fair enough. Just really liked the spice it added to some of the platforming and I'm glad they used it against bosses.

Volaticus (Nina2 cosplay): Obviously pretty awesome, and not just for platforming. Pretty much owns Dracula's first form since it both easily dodges his fireball attack and causes him to always use it. Hovering while you unload damage can also be fun times.

Stat boosts: I didn't find the defensive ones worth it, offensive ones were pretty good for all that I only really used them late when they were very inexpensive. My loss.

Arma Custos (Cerberus head): Really great strength boost as your HP drops, doesn't take long to beat the strength buffer.

Summons: I didn't use them a huge amount, but I did like the owl one for some free added damage, Beat-style.

Since the game tracks my element use, it's easy enough for me to note that slash > blunt > light > lightning > ice > dark > fire.

Think that's about it!

So yeah. 9/10 game or so? Pretty high at that? Really impressive, one of the best games I've played this year and certainly my favourite Castlevania. Challenging, well-designed platformer with shades of Megaman in it = obvious Elf-bait.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Save Point

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 08, 2011, 07:04:32 AM »
I was totally inspired to finish the Order of Ecclesia based on Elf talking about it in IRC. Had slept on killing Dracula for a year or two because he was so damn hard. Now in hindsight I realize he's not that bad once you learn how to dodge the easy attacks and potionspam through the rest.

I don't have much memory of the rest of the game since it's been so long since I played, but I gravitated toward the heavy physical damage - got a lot of use out of macir and falcis - I had a pretty simple minded approach, just using whatever attack worked best and would kill enemies quickly, changing my loadout if a particular glyph was more effective against a certain enemy. I seem to remember spamming fulgur against one boss.

Will sign off on liking the challenge, most of the previous metroidvanias were just a little bit too far on the easy side. Here, you actually had to worry about dodging attacks from bosses and finding strategies to fight enemies. I actually didn't have a problem finding the missing villagers if I recall correctly - my OCD about getting 100% on every map was probably what did it. I'll probably mess around with the boss rush and alternate character mode, but I have no interest in hard mode shenanigans.

also, hi.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 08, 2011, 11:21:02 AM »
Hi.
Thank you for being what you are. You've saved my life a few times.

Magnes (magnet): I really liked this one and thought it was a shame it wasn't used a bit more, but I guess they wanted you to use other glyphs and fair enough. Just really liked the spice it added to some of the platforming and I'm glad they used it against bosses.
Did you unlock the training dungeon? It's entirely built around Magnes. It's hidden somewhere inside Dracula Castle (along with the usual optional super dungeon with some armor you don't need at the end)

Hard mode is great because every enemy attack does 60+x damage (IIRC) so absolutely everything is threatening and you need to avoid it all. The Ruvas forest earlygame is particularly brutal, but the game never really becomes easy anyway (unlike in Portrait of Ruin where you get overpowered armor) Then there's Hard mode lvl 1 which is just ridiculous (I beat this without healing items, which is probably my best gamingz achievement) Ignis is actually really good against a lot of enemies here. (either because they're big or because you can afford getting to really close range and kill with 2 Ignises)

Blackmore's music was great. (but it didn't work as well against Eligor)

Demon's Souls: Beat 4 archdemons, smacked Old King Doran a few times to get awesome weapon (that I can't equip yet)
My usual process is : Invade another player, get his soul, die in the most retarded possible way, repeat. Such a complete egoistical waste of manpower, but what can you do. I've died quite a few times against players this time though, and to the same guy twice :( (He promptly mocked me with a PM)

Mephistopheles appeared, and asked me to kill a few NPCs for a reward. I looked at my helmet, I looked at my armor, and realized I had become Yurt. So I started hunting them all. I went to Ed to forge some new weapon, but he had disappeared. A glitch, they said. Whatever. This allowed me to not feel guilty about checking a faq for Yuria. Mephistopheles attacked next, but that was expected.
I got an awesome PVP ring afterwards, which is starting to make me regret starting as a wanderer with his crappy stats. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:26:58 PM by Fenrir »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 08, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
M&MCoH:  Apparently I'm liking this game as I spent over 30 hours on it in the last week.  Near the end of Aiden's section of the campaign.

Dark Souls:  Started.  Am playing a female cleric.  Extra heals is handy.  Not too far yet, got as far as the Taurus demon.  Am dying considerably more than Fudo is.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 08, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
Am I the only one who apparently failed hard at choosing where to go in Dark Souls? <_<

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
perhaps you're not indecisive enough?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!