Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 262499 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #475 on: February 14, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »
SS- So went back to get Moltres. Not as much luck this time around. First attempt was 54 balls before he Struggled himself to death. Second try was ~15 or so before I finally got him with a Pokeball. Good times.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:55 AM »
So yeah we established that knowing the game makes the game easier.  Kay.  That wasn't the damned point.  Yes Steelix is weak to water and fire.  You know what you don't get in the game manual?  A freaking weakness chart.  Steel stuff is rare as hell when you get to it and it is overlevelled like a mother fucker.  When you don't know weakness tables off the top of your head or that it is coming the story is something completely different.  Cause you know what is kind of a slag to get in GSC until that point?  Fire or water Pokemans.  I hope your Starter didn't get munched by one of the two Supersonic/Thunderbolt/Sonic Boom/Thunderwaving Magnemites before it if you picked Fire/Water.

Perspective here and all.  You might have researched everything out the arse and know all this stuff.  The games certainly aren't balanced for it and some trainers definitely stand head and shoulders above the rest for less informed players.  I certainly don't recall off the top of my head the kind of OMG reaction to anything from Emerald or Platinum as I have seen for that Miltank.

I kind of scoff at it being on par with RBY, since it had the difficulty curve all kinds of wrong and between Misty's bullshit Bubble Beaming overlevelled Starmie there isn't much that really puts up more of a speed bump other than Sabrina if you head there straight away.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
 I certainly don't recall off the top of my head the kind of OMG reaction to anything from Emerald or Platinum as I have seen for that Miltank.

I didn't have a Steel type when I first went up against Norman in Sapphire. His Slaking got a pretty good WTF from me. Flipside, Whitney wasn't so bad as Machop kinda soloed the gym.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 14, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
So yeah we established that knowing the game makes the game easier.  Kay.  That wasn't the damned point.  Yes Steelix is weak to water and fire.  You know what you don't get in the game manual?  A freaking weakness chart.

What's weird is that the RBY manual totally did have an in game weakness chart, with the usual Ghost vs. Psychic mistake there even (RBY GHost was IMMUNED by Psychic, not that it'd change much.  It was obviously intended to be super effective given all the talk about it everywhere and later games but so it goes), and I seem to recall FRLG had one as well.

God only knows why later manuals decided to remove it, cause its a fundamental about the game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 14, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
So it is Luca Blight again with all the same fail.  Good to know that archetype is still written amazingly retarded.

Waited till I finished the game before I responded to this. On one hand he does actually care about his country so unlike Luca it isn't simply revenge (Unless you take it as him taking revenge on god). However him paying bandits to kill some villages (His own countrys villages) on the border to start a war and then planning to kill a whole country to jack their food kind of null any good points you can give him.

Anywho... Final boss took me 30-45 mins to beat not because it was hard or the boss has massive amounts of health but because everything goes so damn slowly. Animations of things are extreamly slow and after a while there starts being over a dozen units on screen meaning to goes even slower and slower.

The game itself is passable but not exactly great. Don't care all that much to talk about its gameplay, plot or whatever as the game just didn't leave a strong impression on me. I will say however that artwork is horrible.

Silent Hill Shattered memories - My day was completely free and I had brought this a week or so ago and didn't get round to playing it till now so in response I did it all in one sitting, now I like the silent hill games, yes even homecoming but this game was something else. I'm a bit tired to go in any great deal of length but I will say the plot twist was great as I expected something of its nature but not quite what actually happens. There was no combat but considering SH combat was never great and at the end of it the combat is never important its no big loss.

In short this is the best Silent hill to me personally and I look forward to future silent hills that are this good.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »
God only knows why later manuals decided to remove it, cause its a fundamental about the game.

I was reading this discussion and was like "WTF?  There is a type chart in the instruction booklet!"  Then I went and checked my instruction books:

HG/SS:  Nope.
Diamond/Pearl:  Nope.
Platinum:  Nope.
Leaf Green:  Nope.

Couldn't find my Emerald instruction book.  So yeah, this is kind of fail on Game Freak's part.  I want to say there was a type chart on a separate sheet (not the instruction book) for one of the 3rd gen games, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

FR/LG did have the Teachy Telly pretty early which had that information, and there were Pokenav and Poketch apps that told you type comparisons also.  But you didn't get those until later and could miss them entirely.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
You'd think that in a world that revolves around Pokemon battles, and on a device built for pokemon trainers, they'd just have those things as install base software.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
So yeah we established that knowing the game makes the game easier.  Kay.  That wasn't the damned point.  Yes Steelix is weak to water and fire.  You know what you don't get in the game manual?  A freaking weakness chart.  Steel stuff is rare as hell when you get to it and it is overlevelled like a mother fucker.  When you don't know weakness tables off the top of your head or that it is coming the story is something completely different.  Cause you know what is kind of a slag to get in GSC until that point?  Fire or water Pokemans.  I hope your Starter didn't get munched by one of the two Supersonic/Thunderbolt/Sonic Boom/Thunderwaving Magnemites before it if you picked Fire/Water.

Perspective here and all.  You might have researched everything out the arse and know all this stuff.  The games certainly aren't balanced for it and some trainers definitely stand head and shoulders above the rest for less informed players.  I certainly don't recall off the top of my head the kind of OMG reaction to anything from Emerald or Platinum as I have seen for that Miltank.

I kind of scoff at it being on par with RBY, since it had the difficulty curve all kinds of wrong and between Misty's bullshit Bubble Beaming overlevelled Starmie there isn't much that really puts up more of a speed bump other than Sabrina if you head there straight away.

I'll also point out original G/S didn't have innate moves so saying a Hoothoot with Insomnia would work didn't apply back then.

I'd say Whitney stonewalled me more than Morty though. God damn you Whitney, you fucking bitch and your stupid cow.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »
MvC3 baby.

Not sure whether to call Thor, Magneto and Haggar "TMH: Too Much Hotness" or "TMH: Two More Heroes (and a bad guy)."

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2011, 02:13:48 AM »
I'll also point out original G/S didn't have innate moves so saying a Hoothoot with Insomnia would work didn't apply back then.

But Morty was somewhat less threatening back then outside of the obvious hole; the most notable factor was that Shadow Ball was physical back then, so it did a lot less damage. 
You also wouldn't use Hoothoot back in GSC, since Gen 2 Pokemon were overall pathetic.  I mean, yes you COULD use Sentret if yo wanted...but when Ratatta is your alternative, and he's just better in every way you care about, whose going to bother <_<?
(and no, its not knowing the game.  You can simply look at Rattata and Sentret's stats in game, and providing they're equal and there isn't a huge IV discrepancy, Rattata will be notably better)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:36 AM »
I remember Morty more for a mean Hypnosis/Dream Eater in Crystal than I do his Shadow Ball, although the latter was good enough to one-shot some lower-levelled stallers IIRC. He's a fairly different fight between the games since losing Dream Eater lets you wall him badly with normals, but his ghost-type blitzing is more potent in the remake.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 15, 2011, 04:10:22 AM »
Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble: Beaten.  Game is a V. Joe with an annoying stylus gimmick (cause the stylus is unresponsive on some commands), and watered down difficulty.  Yeah, notably worse than the first game.  Though, it does give you JOE VS. ALASTOR IN A MECHA FIGHT!!!

Soul Nomad: Map 45!  Yes, stopped there cause another big plot boss just died...though "Big" this time is not to be applied in the literal sense, for those who are curious which boss it is.

Also game suddenly decided it should try being hard.  I think these last 2-3 maps have had more difficulty in them individually than the entire rest of the game combined.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
Wait when did Meeple start playing Soul Nomad? I must not have been paying attention >_>

Darkstalkers - Chaos Tower- Defeated Arcade Mode with and unlocked all the endings for Demetri, B.B Hood, Hsien ko and Lillith. B.B Hood and Lillith only have one ending and Lillith's was sad :( I liked Hsien ko's endings best though B.B Hood's was awesme and funny in it's own right. Also I owned Jedah with Hsien ko during my second arcade run with her without having to retry and Donovan didn't even touch her <.< I came so close to defeating Jedah with Lillith on my first attempt against him with her period (if I hadn't mess up the timing of my Ex-modes I would have done it) :( Luminous Illusion is awesme.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2011, 03:54:45 AM »
MvC3 baby.

Not sure whether to call Thor, Magneto and Haggar "TMH: Too Much Hotness" or "TMH: Two More Heroes (and a bad guy)."

Make sure to use Ugly Old Man Haggar for extra style points.

My own copy of MvC3 isn't coming until Thursday (Protip:  Never order anything from Gamestop.com), but I got to play tonight at a guy's house.  Mostly just random-selected teams.  MODOK is the shit.  Analyze Cube spam is awesome, especially when you Analyze Galactus.  I did play Haggar quite a bit also... he's really really slow.  Guess that's why they gave him the only invincible assist in the game to compensate.  I want to learn She-Hulk, but I'll have to wait until I get in the training room with my own copy to learn her well.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:41 AM »
MVC3 for me as well. Maining Captain America, also fiddled with Ryu/Zero/Haggar as well.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2011, 04:00:23 AM »
MvC3: Beat game a few times, twice at my friend's house using 2 random teams, once on my own copy using Dante/Amaterasu/Deadpool, getting Ammy's ending.

Teams used at friend's house were Morrigan/Chris/Captain America, and Chun-li/Zero/Spiderman, endings going to both capcom girls.

Also played a bunch of Vs. with him.  Somehow, Sentinel has become a MEME among us, and now I find him awesome.  Amazing what giving a generic robot voice to him does for his character, instead of being a silent loser <_<

Anyway, so far, I think I'm going with Morrigan, Zero, and either Spiderman, Captain America or Deadpool.  I want to use Amaterasu and Dante but I don't think that's happening anytime soon as far as learning them!

...that is until Shuma-Gorath is released.  Then I'm totally putting him on my team, probably in place of Zero.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:17:50 AM by Meeplelard »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2011, 04:12:17 AM »
MvC3 baby.

Make sure to use Ugly Old Man Haggar for extra style points.

My own copy of MvC3 isn't coming until Thursday (Protip:  Never order anything from Gamestop.com), but I got to play tonight at a guy's house.  Mostly just random-selected teams.  MODOK is the shit.  Analyze Cube spam is awesome, especially when you Analyze Galactus.  I did play Haggar quite a bit also... he's really really slow.  Guess that's why they gave him the only invincible assist in the game to compensate.  I want to learn She-Hulk, but I'll have to wait until I get in the training room with my own copy to learn her well.

Tron's flamethrower assist is invincible too. Doesn't lead to free combos unless you hit someone jumping though, so it's somewhat of a trade.

Haggar can be beast. down+C in the air is amazing and his ground normals aren't bad, you may want an assist help him get close to people though.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »
One thing I have noticed about Haggar is that a lot of his attacks knock the enemy up a ways by bouncing them off the ground, which means a free hit with the pipe. The pipe owns. Also, I won a tight game by using X Factor to cancel directly in to the Final Haggar Driver, which was fucking clutch. Haggar owns.

Thor also rules. So my first two are set, just need a third. Someone who can move. Dante or Deadpool, looks like so far. Not liking Magneto; the shortened flight length really hurts his maneuverability.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2011, 06:42:15 AM »
MvC3 a bit today~

Freaking Akuma is my best char so far, though i haven't managed to beat Galactus at all. I keep forgetting X Factor exists though, that may be part of my problem. <_<

Akuma/She Hulk/??? is my team right now. Still trying to figure out that third spot. Used Haggar, Chun or Zero seem like the most likely spots for it right now, but I haven't tried everyone yet.

Also, TO PSP. Still in chapter one, of course. Futzing with the new system is taking some getting used to.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 16, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
Having a character who has both flight and a beam thingy, like Thor or Iron Man, makes him a lot easier. Alternatively bash him with Haggar's pipe, for that is his one weakness.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #495 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
Pokemon HG: Fought Pryce. He actually managed to beat me once with his ridiculous Rest/Hyper Potion/Berries stalling game...

I think it should have been easy to sweep him, but the only element that I knew hit weakness on Ice-types was Fire, and all of his Ice-types were dual-typed to resist Fire. >.>;;

Actually, I still don't know what other elements can hit weakness on Ice, but whatever, he managed to prove a fun challenge with the handicap~

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »
Gate, for Galactus, since you mentioned her...

Chun-li's kick spam tends to work well.  Actually, she makes a good Anchor, and should be saved as your last character if you try this, so you can pull out Level 3 X-factor and spam kicks like crazy.  Of course, that one issue of "I keep forgetting X-factor exists!" plays a part in this, but...uhh...can't help you there <_<?

Also, remembering that he can't block means that big moves like Amaterasu's triple element attack, or Arthur's Dragon Magic are auto hits for some significant damage.  Then again, just about anything is an auto hit on him, so I guess that's not really the point (its just a case of getting the move off and not taking damage.  Projectiles and moves like I mentioned above tend to be better at avoiding hits)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 16, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
I've found alternating between magnum shots and throwing grenades with Chris works pretty well. When I got in a jam at the end I hit X-Factor, super jumped and unloaded the whole cylinder.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 16, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Yeah Galactus is more competent than I thought from watching videos about him.  Blocking is really important.  It's easy to get caught up in attacking a giant target who can't block and then he punishes you mercilessly.

For those who haven't seen it, this is a really nice guide for the game with informative short videos about the characters:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 16, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
Mayor President Mike Haggar

Step one: LAY SOME PIPE
Step two: LAY THAT PIPE CROSS SOME UNLUCKY BITCH FACE