Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 262712 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #750 on: March 09, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
I don't think I had ever seen you bash a game before, Captain.
That must mean something.
You need to feed that plant the dead soul of enemies so she can give you bombs or else you can't damage the boss at all. Just play regular Streets of Rage instead.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #751 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:14 AM »
Played DA2 a lot since I didn't have class yesterday. I'm about to on an expedition into the Deep Roads. I'm enjoying it so far in that it has basically given me a larger goal to work toward and then told me to accomplish it through a whole mess of side quests. Big change from the usual BioWare model.

So far Varric is my hero.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 10, 2011, 06:19:07 AM »
Also enjoying DA2 at the moment. Not sure where a lot of the complaints I read are coming from. Game doesn't seem particularly dumbed down, and does seem to flow significantly better than DA did. Cast isn't as strong yet, though.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 10, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »
"dumbed down" is a lot of the same stupid complaints ME2 got, like how it's not an RPG because party members don't get armor or whatever shit.  Because you know, loot and inventory management are the two qualifying factors in whether or not you are playing a role-playing game.

Anyway, I've noticed that Varric seems to be getting really good, which makes sense since he is framing this story and all. Like how when Olan told the story in FFT he had total control over space and time and his dad was an unstoppable killing machine.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
Great, Rob.  Now I'm imagining the fight with Olan and the thieves as really being a lot like Rafa and the Assassins, it just wasn't like that in the game because Olan didn't want the horribly embarrasing truth to be what everyone remembered.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 10, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
That's the fun of a framing story where the Framer is involved.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
I don't think I had ever seen you bash a game before, Captain.

I bash lots of games, they just tend to be ones that the rest of the DL likes.  Like FFT.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
Bioshock 2: Well that endgame was oddly straightforward, at least I'm able to summon ninjas

Valkyria Chronicles: Vyse and Aika fell through a time rift and are now taking bullets for me
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »
TO:PSP

Got the two REALLY annoying characters. Now all I have to do is get the last four characters and I will have everyone that can join me, yay!

Two are in the neutral path and the last two are located at the end of that long dungeon.

My main team is all around level 29. I started a second team so I could get all the new characters up to my main team's level. The pirate is a beast, but I need a new gun for him.

Also, concerning that one chick that get three unique job classes...I could use some marks for her other two less easy-to-find job marks. One is stuck at lv 1, and the other is at lv 20. The mark you get through the story, yeah that job is lv 27 or so. Gotta find mobs that drop the other marks so I can level them and find which one I prefer.

Also, Denam  with Exorcism is awesome.

Eventually I hope to find some better equipment for everyone, because the gear is starting to get old.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 11, 2011, 01:34:06 AM »
Pokemon white: Took them long enough but finally a pokemon game with an actual ending and not a throwaway one.

Going to start on my aftergame/online team now and I've currently got:

Scrafty - I'm really liking the little guys typing so he is a must for me.

Archeops - Its good but its ability leaves me doubting how good it'll be at the end of the day so I might replace it.

Galvantula - Eelektross looks like a really nice option to replace my giant spider but I'm not sure. Eelektross has better stats everywhere but speed and has no weakness while Galvantula has not complete fail speed, is weak to fire and rock and its thunder attack is a near certain hit meaning its overall offence is slightly better.
Hard choice.

Darmanitan - Really liking him though I've not yet seen this zen mode.

That leaves two spots to complete the team. I was thinking of maybe Excadrill but then I'd have to run Tyranitar to make full use of him, granted Tyranitar isn't bad and it would complete my team. Those new dragon types might replace Archeops too.

Going to breed and ev train the above mons but while I've gotten what ev training is and it seems quite simple now I still have no idea about IVs. Could someone explain these to me and how I go about getting the above pokes with good ones?

Silent hill the room: This Henry guy is made of stone, the guy isn't scared of anything because his policy is to smack shit over the head with a steel pipe first and be completely unimpressed later. I must question him being locked in his apartment though.

Lets see:

The Room: Its soundproof somehow and all things electrical don't work o he can't call for help.

The Door: Its chained up with loads of padlocks from the inside preventing him from leaving. Now I'm no expert on breaking down doors but couldn't he kick it/break it down with a steel pipe? Hell he could shoot a bullet through the door to alert the people outside if all else fails.

The windows: He has a steel pipe, hell the pipes not needed he could just throw his tv through it/punch/kick/headbut/hip thrust/butt pound that thing to pieces but apparently its unbreakable because this thought never pops into Henry's head. A friend said to me that maybe its plexiglass but really? It just seems unlikely.

The broken wall: THERE IS A DAMNGOD HOLE IN THE WALL WHICH HE COULD SHOUT FOR HELP THROUGH! HELL GIVE IT A FEW KICKS AND HE COULD ESCAPE INTO THE NEXT DOORS APARTMENT, BUT INSTEAD HE JUST USES IT TO BE A PEEPING TOM?!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH MR HENRY?

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
I think you need to remember that in the official Silent Hill timeline, in the year 2000, Henry Townsend buys a new shirt from Express Fashion. Yes. The most noteworthy thing he's done is buy a new shirt

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 11, 2011, 02:46:23 AM »
...............*Checks timeline and sees entry* Wat?

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 11, 2011, 03:17:14 AM »
While I haven't actually started it yet, I picked up Pokemon Black earlier today (chose it over White because there were many more copies and I felt bad for Black). So I'll be playing that for the forseeable future.

Toy Soldiers: Cleared the first campaign and unlocked the Kaiser Campaign.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 11, 2011, 04:17:04 AM »
...............*Checks timeline and sees entry* Wat?

Henry Townsend is a very exciting person.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #764 on: March 11, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »
Reshiram >>>>> Zekrom anyway, so go Black version.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: March 11, 2011, 04:45:53 AM »
Suikoden Tierkries:  Apparently, the develops pitied the players having to consider the idea of a certain countries continued, paradoxical existence, and thus decided through elements of the game itself, that it should be erased from existence, wiped from history, never to be talked about again!

...except they then remembered "Wait, shit, the heroes will recognize retcons within their own world cause that's an important plot point" so it didn't work out as they expected.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #766 on: March 11, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
I don't get the hate for the Magedom? I thought that whole section was pretty well-told.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 11, 2011, 03:34:43 PM »
Pro-tip: Don't take anything Meeple says in these summaries seriously.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 11, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
Dude was a pimp who, like most pimps, could not control all three of his bitches. It happens.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 11, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
Pro-tip: Don't take anything Meeple says seriously.

Fixed that for you.

---

Radiant Historia - Up to SH6 now.  Game's gotten pretty difficult lately.  Part of this is me being underlevelled but I imagine part of it is just the game not joking around.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 11, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
Pokemon Black: Started this up. Holy crap, the girl trainer has short shorts. Chose the guy because I'm a guy. I get three Pokemon in a box and have to choose one, and my friends Meeple/MC and (insert DLer name here - seriously, any suggestions for the guy would be helpful) each get one as well. I choose Oshawott (which I plan on naming General) and get to battling. I have to reset once because I get killed by Tepig, but the second time everything goes according to plan and I win. And my friends rush off instead of helping me clean my room. Thanks, guys. Oh well, Mom doesn't seem to care and I leave my house.

And that's where I stopped.

Edit: Carrying on, since there hasn't been another post since my last one, for shame (/ignoring school/workday).

I head to MC Meeple's house to see her dad ripping on her for wanting to go off on her own adventure while being a preteen (if she is). So that's like... one semi-responsible adult out of how many? Yes, I know that the Pokeworld is at least an order of magnitude (with STAB) safer than our world, but still...

We meet up at Prof Juniper's Lab and get the Pokedex (though InsertDLerHere keeps interrupting) and start off on our adventure together (which was a nice touch). I catch a Patrat which I name Burns, and a Lillipup which I name King, and win the catching mini-challenge and then... holy crap VideoChat!

I go to the Pokemon Center which is now also the shop, good move there, save, and that's it for now.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:56:50 PM by DomaDragoon »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:21 AM »
Woah woah, wait a second. I bought a new shirt in 2000 too!

Dragon Age: I know what's the absolute worst thing about this game compared to Mass Effect!
You can't be a douchebag!
In adventure games and wRPGs, unless you're really drawn into the game and the problems of its world, the amount of fun you're having is DIRECTLY proportional to how much of a dick you are. Being a nice guy is cool the first few times, but it becomes very repetitive fast. Finish some guy's quest perfectly, the guy's happy and gives you something, etc. There's no interesting writing in it, no particular fun, and after the 100th time no feeling of accomplishment anymore. Being a douche is often a lot more varied: Steal an unconscious man's gear before helping him, put poison in someone's drink, blackmail people, sell a kid to slavery, lie about being a doctor then do a half assed job and ask to get paid for it, punch a journalist because you've had enough of her disingenous assertions, etc.

In Dragon Age, every NPC has an approval rating. Be a dick to someone and the game will like you less. This affects combat performance and whether or not they stay in your team, so this is a big deal.  The game has given hundred opportunities to mock Alistair, and I can't use them!! There seems to be a lot of quests you can miss if you're being too much of a dick, too. Which makes sense, but it's no fun.
Fortunately, you can use a team of assholes then not care about being a douche to NPCs, but you still have to be very nice to those team members of your team in private conversations. And that's not enough.

Gray Matter (360, PC)

The main character, a young magician named Sam, gets lost on the trip to London and finds herself near Oxford. She's broke and doesn't know where she'll sleep. Eventually she finds a big manor. A young woman, who claims to be the new assistant to the doctor living inside, is about to enter the manor, but she seems terrified by the manor. The heroine quickly scares the hell out of her then take her place.

Wow. Way to be a douche at the very start of a game. Great job.

Turns out the pay is good enough and living in the manor is nice. Sam stays there for a while, assisting Dr Styles, who lost his wife a few years ago but who's now trying to contact her in any way he can, thinking that her ghost might still in the manor. Sam's first job is to find 6 students to work on brain activities. Then the weird stuff starts happening.

Sam's a very nice girl overall, but she's a magician; the nature of the game implies that you'll perform a variety of tricks and deceptions on people throughout the whole game.

This is a standard serious adventure point and click game, but it's very hard to find one nowadays. The storyline is, as expected, intriguing and well written, though it never gets exceptional. Unexpected is how weird and kinda extravagant it turns out later on.
There's kind of a melancholy to the game, helped by the gorgeous still backgrounds and Oxford's architecture and style. Dr Styles (who's the main character in a few short chapters) is a broken man, his goals are desperate, and Sam's attempts to communicate with him often end badly.

Controls on the Xbox are strange. There's no pointing and clicking. Move the joystick and a wheel appears, highlighting the name of every item you can interact with. Simply select an item and your character will run to it and interact. This makes the game feel different and more accessible than every other game in the genre, as it completely eliminates pixel hunting. (and puzzles/enigmas aren't too hard) As far as I'm concerned, this is a step in the right direction (I hate being stuck in those games), but an awkward one.  There's no pixel hunting in the PC version either, you can press a button to see which items you can interact with. But you're not forced to use it if you like this sort of thing.

Hard game to dislike if you're semi-interested in it. PC version is better.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 12, 2011, 04:38:21 AM »
Dragon Age II:  So I see the demo up on XBL.  Sure, why not, I'll try it.

No, Electronic Arts, I do not want to register with your company just to play a damned demo.  I also do not want to read a license agreement when playing a video game.  I click Accept without reading it, in hopes that a lawyer will come try to sue me for doing something improper with the game, at which point I will punch him in the nuts.

I get to choose a character, all six of which look exactly the same.  Well no, one's holding a staff instead of a sword.  I choose Female Warrior, despite seeing no difference between that and Male Warrior.

A cutscene appears and I am talking to a "dwarf", yet he doesn't seem particularly small or bearded or anything else resembling a typical dwarf.

I am taken to a battle where I kill lots of zombie things with a mage chick helping me.  This is moderately interesting.  But wait!  I am told this is all bullshit.  So obviously the game does not want to be interesting.

Now me and my too-much-eyeshadow self am leading my mom, my sister who happens to look exactly like the mage chick I was fighting with earlier, and some wimpy guy whose class is Warrior, despite obviously not fitting the bill.  We fight zombie guys every three steps.  Except, combat is now much worse than in the intro.  Hit detection is horrible.  I find that the best way to hit enemies is to swing my sword at my comrades and the crappy hit detection will hit the enemies instead.  Special moves kill enemies in one hit, but there is an enormous amount of time between being able to use them, despite the stamina bar thingy being full.  It takes approximately one hundred normal attacks to kill one zombie, and you fight about ten at a time.

Anyway, this continues for far too long.  I loot some bodies.  Nobody seems to notice when blood has splattered all over their faces.

And then, I decide to try controlling some other characters.  I control the mage chick, activate the targetting circle for her spell, and the game freezes.

Westerners need to give up on making RPGs, they're terrible at it.  Rating:  Ass/10.

=====================

Pokemon Black:  Actually haven't made much progress.  Beat the first gyn, then traded my Tepig to my kid's game so I could start over and get the third starter.  Unfortunately my kid picked the awesome smug snake, so I am stuck with the (admittedly cute) otter.

Last Remnant:  Got to where I'm not dying constantly, so progress!  I am now pointedly ignoring the story and doing quests in the desert instead.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 12, 2011, 06:34:44 AM »
snip

I can't even begin to list the things wrong with this. I will just stop at my first statement.  The fuck are you doing, playing RPGs on a console? It's a goddamn RPG, you want to be able to use a mouse and load mods, not dick around with a controller and be dependent on Xbox Live to let you play the game.

Woah woah, wait a second. I bought a new shirt in 2000 too!

Dragon Age: I know what's the absolute worst thing about this game compared to Mass Effect!
You can't be a douchebag!
In adventure games and wRPGs, unless you're really drawn into the game and the problems of its world, the amount of fun you're having is DIRECTLY proportional to how much of a dick you are. Being a nice guy is cool the first few times, but it becomes very repetitive fast. Finish some guy's quest perfectly, the guy's happy and gives you something, etc. There's no interesting writing in it, no particular fun, and after the 100th time no feeling of accomplishment anymore. Being a douche is often a lot more varied: Steal an unconscious man's gear before helping him, put poison in someone's drink, blackmail people, sell a kid to slavery, lie about being a doctor then do a half assed job and ask to get paid for it, punch a journalist because you've had enough of her disingenous assertions, etc.

In Dragon Age, every NPC has an approval rating. Be a dick to someone and the game will like you less. This affects combat performance and whether or not they stay in your team, so this is a big deal.  The game has given hundred opportunities to mock Alistair, and I can't use them!! There seems to be a lot of quests you can miss if you're being too much of a dick, too. Which makes sense, but it's no fun.
Fortunately, you can use a team of assholes then not care about being a douche to NPCs, but you still have to be very nice to those team members of your team in private conversations. And that's not enough.

Sten and Morrigan actively approve of dickery. Morrigan likes it when you argue with her as long as you don't cross over in to belittling her.

Also, I don't think anyone but Zevran leaves just because you torque them off. You gotta make specific decisions at plot points. You can mock Alistair all you want, there's only one time he'll actually leave and the game is like "Hey if you do this he leaves, are you sure?"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:38:31 AM by Rob the Stampede »

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 12, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »
Pokemon Black: A lot of stuff to cover, and I'll try to keep it brief. I head into the first major town and see a gathering in the town square. Are we going to burn a witch because she weighs as much as a Psyduck? No, it's a cult. But since they only make announcements, don't threaten anyone, and believe in being a team, I'm sure they'll be perfectly all right. I mean, who ever heard of a Team being bad in a Pokemon game?

After the announcement, a boy named N battles me and is generally unnerving. Yeah, he totally wants me. So after beating N(iu), he continues on about listening to my Pokemon. Yeah, you... do that.

Heading on Route 2, I get a call from Mom. Yes, Mom, I'm wearing clean underwear. No, I haven't wrecked a tomboy's bike yet, I'll get right on it. Hmmm... the call is coming from inside the route?! Aah! She sneaks up and gives me running shoes, kind of like the Burger King of footwear. Along the way to Striaton, I catch a Purrloin which I name HelloKitty.

The first gym is all about learning about type advantages. Since I picked up a Pansear (named Grilla) before the battle, I manage to win on the first try. Yay me.

Team Plasma is evil. Wow, never saw that one coming.

A long list of Pokemon caught:
Munna - Freddy
Audito - Speaker
Roggarola - Reggie
Pidove - Bert
Woobat - Dr.Acula
Sawk - Tien
Tympole - Glenn
Timburr - Cray

King evolved and lost Pickup, so I dropped him from the team. I'm about to fight the second gym leader.