Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 263081 times)

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #825 on: March 17, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »
Anti-Magic Zone doesn't prevent things being cast, it just drops magical damage by 40%.  FRUE Rags' biggest dick move is MT Dispel apparently, even though I never saw it...  Yeah, I just went with Laser Silhouette Spam myself after Great Booster, but I assume that Rudy's Gatling Raid and Jane's Finest Arts would work just as well, especially after Fragile.

Still, as long as Anti-Magic Zone is up, one doesn't really need to worry as much about Ragu's big screw you.

EDIT: I will say this: while ACF's Abyss is far more confusing and maze-like than WA3's repetitive abyss, one really has to give it props for allowing Gimel Coins to be used within its confines.  I don't remember completely, but I don't think you could do the same in WA3's Abyss.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:12:58 AM by Magic Fanatic »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 17, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
Pokemon Black: Been doing a pseudo-Hatbot challenge (flipping coins/rolling dice in lieu of Hatbot) and am now post-game. Virizion saved my life against the E4, especially since I didn't get token Uber. Post-game requires Surf all round, although I don't know where I'm going. Missed out on 8 Surfers in a row before finally getting one, which was replaced soon after. Now I have a Kangaskhan (named Yo Momma) as my resident Surfer, a Tangrowth with Cut and a Fearow with Fly - doing quite well on the HMs front, so currently exploring Challenger's Cave - have a Jynx using Flash, but able to relearn Energy Ball afterwards (I love reusable TMs!)

Also planning for VGC, and think I've finally settled on a team idea. :)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 18, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »
Anti-Magic Zone doesn't prevent things being cast, it just drops magical damage by 40%.  FRUE Rags' biggest dick move is MT Dispel apparently, even though I never saw it...  Yeah, I just went with Laser Silhouette Spam myself after Great Booster, but I assume that Rudy's Gatling Raid and Jane's Finest Arts would work just as well, especially after Fragile.

My mistake then. I never bothered with it since it's just so unneeded elsewhere. Sort of just went with what the naming suggested. I imagine it's easier to pump Rudy for damage versus anyone else, although his drawbacks are lower HP compared to Jack and second lowest RES in the game. You also can't C-Replay a Gatling Raid unless you went Active versus Plus (whoo one battle where it's significantly better)

Still, as long as Anti-Magic Zone is up, one doesn't really need to worry as much about Ragu's big screw you.

Based on what I saw, I think Dispel may actually be a trigger. I never saw it outside of doing *very* specific actions. I'll find out soon enough once I start testing. The only other issue with Anti-Magic Zone is finding it, and getting Emma to keep casting it since it can't be Permanance'd.

EDIT: I will say this: while ACF's Abyss is far more confusing and maze-like than WA3's repetitive abyss, one really has to give it props for allowing Gimel Coins to be used within its confines.  I don't remember completely, but I don't think you could do the same in WA3's Abyss.

This is sort of a thing they had to do for ACF's Abyss. WA3's Abyss only "good" point is that you can definitely get it done super quick. It's boring as hell and by far and away one of the worst 100 floor slogs there are, but if you're only interested in the Sheriff Star, it's easy to go in and get out. Can't say the same thing for ACF's. Hence it being more frustrating than WA3's. WA3's isn't so much frustrating as much as it is just boring. You can basically run on auto-pilot and get to the 100th floor.

GRANTED, ACF has a few other advantages such as warp lifts that go up and down 10 floors, versus the Abyss where it's a straight one way ticket down and no other way to travel. Plus it's 1 floor by 1 floor to boot. Personally, I think if you want to do a 100 floor dungeon type thing, it should be somewhat similar to Sphere 211. Yeah you can limit save points, but you damn well better make a way to go back up and down easy enough.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #828 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »
I used Jack over Rudy because LS derives twice the benefit from great booster versus Gatling Raid, so I went that route for damage. Also it looks cooler, because hell if they gave Gatling Raid a cool animation.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #829 on: March 18, 2011, 03:47:35 AM »
Ar Tonelico: I will finish this, dammit. Despite how much RH has basically stolen all my playing time.
I got through Aurica's ch2 and Shurelia's ch3. I have possibly already aired all my biggest complaints about Aurica's Scene Of Fail that managed to pretty much ruin everything the game was doing right up until that point, so today I'll complain about Shurelia's terrible voice actress.

I pretty much hate every decision made about Shurelia's 'inner character'. I mean, I understand that all people have weaknesses, including people with big responsibilities (like being the administrator of the Entire World), and I understand that a lot of people 'just want to fall in love'... But holy crap, when you set up the strongest female character in the world to not only look like a loli, but basically have her entire hardass personality be a front for 'all I've ever wanted was a hard dicking from the main male character', you're doing it wrong. Even if I didn't outright hate the message this implies, her VA does a horrendous job selling her 'emotional' lines. I'm guessing they hired her based on her amazing ability to sound disaffected for those early scenes where she's supposed to come off as a literal robot. Die in a fire, Shurelia. At least Aurica is tolerable if you ignore the one Scene Of Fail. I will say that Shurelia's cosmosphere equivalent was at least mildly amusing, and I liked how it FINALLY tied the cosmosphere nonsense to the main plot at the end and explained what the hell was going on all this time within the context of the fantasy world setting.

Anyway, I'm now working on Misha's ch2, and it's amazing how much the quality of the game jumped when the main heroine is likeable! For all that Misha's costume design is the the ugliest thing I've ever seen (at least she stops being a loli eventually, but the costume is still pretty terrible). Jack and Krusche are also far more interesting side characters than what's-his-name-paladin-guy and totally-not-a-sephiroth-clone Ayatane.

Just how different is Misha's ch3 from Aurica's ch3? Because I honestly don't want to sit through Shurelia plot again.

Also, I don't have the AT manual handy, but apparently that's where the origins of the Reyvateil race are, and it's kind of annoying that they never explain it in-game since it's kind of a big part of the whole world-building thing. What the hell -are- the RTs anyway?

Radiant Historia: Good game is Good. I like Raynie. Rosche's in-battle sprite is cool. The sidequests in this game are fun.

Currently trying to assassinate a Princess in Standard History, but I doubt that's good plan.
Trying to keep his bestbuddy from getting ambushed to death in Alternate History. Somebody died, but luckily he can time-travel. Only it seems like it's not important for him to time-travel in this particular instance, which has Stocke all ;_; .

Stocke is level 22, and I think I'm about to beat down Hugo. Possibly overlevelled? Should I grab some boss notes or did Pyro already get those?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 18, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
Ar Tonelico: Terrible shit

Hahahahahahah.  I warned you about Ar Tonelico bro.  I told you dog.

POKEMANS - I am totally about to beat up a lightning dude.  I regret not using my sweet Geodudes this time now knowing that the final gym is a lightning one.  Oh well.  Alakazam has been shooting shit with Psy shit or Focus Blast where it is Steel.  Got some X special stat buffs to try and just sweep with if I want.  Taught my Machamp Rock Slide as well if it helps, but I expect fucking Luxrays to be totally lame and have Static shit that makes you paro for punching them in the cock.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 18, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
Eat lead the return of Matt Hazard: Brought this on Wednesday for three pounds to entertain me till Friday (today) where I'll be getting Yakuza 4 in my lunch hour. Game is more or less a Gears of war ripoff with one standout feature which is allowing you to select other cover while in cover to run to. This makes going from cover to cover a lot smoother and it looks better too.

The best part is the humour which is reflected in the enemy types which include Soak'em Commandos (SOCOM), Space Marines (GOW dudes), Wafferthins (Wolfenstein Nazis), Dexter's Darlings (Bond girl, Lara croft, Joanna dark). Story was also pretty funny and I love the main villain Wally Wellesley in all his crazy glory. Soundtrack was also exceptional but the gameplay let the game down and the levels dragged on and on and never seemed to end.

This game also makes me imagine Matt Hazard in Star Ocean 3 which would be awesome. No need to do silly objectives, Matt would simply blow all Luther's shit up.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 18, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
totally-not-a-sephiroth-clone Ayatane.

Are you implying Sephy makes a good mother?? Lies I say.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 18, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »
DL gaming topic could use more Ar Tonelico posts: started Ar Tonelico 3.

Was this game before or after Atelier Rorona in Japan?  I ask this because AT3 has a noticeable drop in aesthetics in comparison to Rorona. Maybe, the 3d models of characters standout in comparison to the pre-rendered background.  I guess I prefer the cute cel-shading of Rorona better. On the plus side, AT3 runs on Havok physics! (just to get that titty bounce right I presume).

Gameplay not really good.  I don't mind the barebones Tales-like battle system, it's just too easy.  But wait, there's hard mode! However, hard mode makes the game too hard!  I died in the first tutorial fight on hard because I was doing 1 damage to something with over 300 HP. Characters don't start off with special abilities, which makes all the vanguard characters the same outside of the small HP difference.

What the hell am I talking about? I'm not playing AT games for gameplay. Bring on the trainwreck Cosmosphere lolirapedoll plot.  Sadly, Finnel's level 1-5 are extremely short and odd.  I'm hoping I get to play though all of them properly later in the game. I'm holding off doing most of Saki's until I built up a good amount of DP: it looks like the cost of events went up and I want to make sure I get enough to complete one level in a single dive.

The M rating is completely stupid.  The worst thing you get is bra n' panties and the word virginity.  Giving a girl ice cream and cake, then asking her to strip is completely normal and not sexual at all.  I mean, food is expensive as hell in AT.  You better put out when I'm giving you this $2000 cake.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:29 PM »
Note to self, buy Ephraim a cake.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #835 on: March 18, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
I'm sure the M rating is for DLC scenes that make gay guys say "I've never been so glad to see a woman's breasts".
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #836 on: March 18, 2011, 02:56:52 PM »
Wait, there are breasts in lolitonelico?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
Dragon Age 2: I suppose I must do secondary quests before setting off for the Deep Roads? Seems that way at least. No biggie, as it will allow me to acquire PHAT LOOTZ.

Characters continue to grow on me. Pretty much all of them have displayed at least a couple of amusing banters, which works well enough for me. Generally speaking, Varric remains the strongest by far, but each has had their moments. Even Fenris, whose moments mostly consist of everyone calling him out on being DARK AND BROODING >:|

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #838 on: March 18, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »

They are few and far between, but they are there.  That is WHY that comment came up.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #839 on: March 18, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
Dragon Age 2: I suppose I must do secondary quests before setting off for the Deep Roads? Seems that way at least. No biggie, as it will allow me to acquire PHAT LOOTZ.

Characters continue to grow on me. Pretty much all of them have displayed at least a couple of amusing banters, which works well enough for me. Generally speaking, Varric remains the strongest by far, but each has had their moments. Even Fenris, whose moments mostly consist of everyone calling him out on being DARK AND BROODING >:|

Yeah, the Deep Roads is a point of no return. There's another one later.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
CK, the DLC has even less breast, and it is so bad that'll you'll actually pay for it just to see how horrible it is.

There are, just not PCs.... wait, there is one character with breast that is playable in AT2. I guess Salavtore also count in AT3.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
Pokemon Black:

At the Pokemon League. I'd recap the previous few gyms and plot, but it basically boils down to intense smashing - heck, I soloed the whole of Gym 8 with a single Pokemon.Team Plasma is still being jerks, my rivals have fallen by the wayside, and it's going to be up to me to save the world.

New Catches:
Cubchoo - Coca
Stunfisk - Ackbar
Shelmet - Kibbles
Mienfoo - 1Superguy
Druddigon - Fou-Lu
Golett - Ershin
Pawniard - Cyan
Vullaby - Pinxit
Durant - Atom
Deino - Bahamut

Current Team:
General (L45 Samurott - Slash/Revenge/Surf/Razor Shell, Mystic Water)
Mogu (L45 Excadrill - Slash/Metal Claw/Earthquake/Hone Claws, Expert Belt)
Tweak (L51 Galvantula - Signal Beam/Electroweb/X-Scissor/Slash, Magnet)
Special (L52 Cryogonal - Flash Cannon/Reflect/Ice Beam/Recover, NeverMeltIce)
Tien (L52 Sawk - Bulldoze/Retaliate/Close Combat/Poison Jab, Amulet Coin)
HelloKitty (L17 Purrloin - Scratch/Growl/Thief/Sand-Attack, Exp. Share)

Any advice on what my 6th should be would be appreciated.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 19, 2011, 01:27:43 AM »
Only the first three fights are BS on Hard.  I turned it for Normal for those and then back to Hard and have been fine.  I haven't even done any extra grinding (the new characters keep joining at higher levels!).

Sure, it's hard, but not impossible.

EDIT: Forgot to quote.  Whatever, replying to At3 stuff.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
Pokemon Black: Finished the Dragonspiral Tower. Heading back to the Desert Ruins, hopefully I'll notice the fossils this time. My 6th spot seems to be rotating with whatever suits the needs at the moment with the rest pretty much set. Currently raising a Vanilite for the Dragon gym. Pondering a Elgyam for the E4, since all the Fighting mons have Rock moves, rendering Sigilyph a sitting duck. Also traded for some of the trade evos with someone in class. Conkeldurr's damn good.

Indifflant (L35 Servine)
Wigglepup (L35 Stoutland)
L40 Conkeldurr
L39 Krokorok
L38 Seismitoad
L31 Vanilite

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
Finished Dragon Age.

The final boss looked absolutely impossible to me at first. The first phase is easy enough, it's just like basically every other dragon fight in the game. Then when he gets down to 50% HP he sends one thousand million grunts at you while breathing fire at your team from outer space, and you get overwhelmed in no time.
Somehow, the last time I played they didn't all chase me at first, sooo yeah. I got lucky. I still was doing nothing at that point but "Select character -> Drink potion, select another character -> Drink potion" and still lost Morrigan, Shale and 50 dwarves. Fortunately, afterwards it's back to regular dragon and it's easy.

I'm a bit disappointed since the game told me right away that this was no usual Blight and demons were acting strangely. I was waiting for the groundbreaking revelations. But no. This was regular Blight stuff. Whatever.
Alistair breaking up with the main character was absolutely infuriating to me. This guy's a joke! HE DOES NOT BREAK UP WITH ME. Hahah, well done Bioware. So yeah, I had him have sex with Morrigan then told his next wife about it (That last part didn't happen in the game, but I promise Isabelle did this)

Character rating:
Shield warrior: Best damage, best defense, ability to knock enemies back, and he even protects others from harm somewhat.
Archer rogue: Worse damage, far worse defense, attacks from a distance but this never really matters in nightmare mode. Becomes slightly more useful near the end of the game thanks to extremely high dextery / evade.
Mage: At the beginning of the game they have awesome damage, then they're about awesome status, then... Well, they're healing batteries. I guess I might not have chosen the best spells. I went with Necromancy / Waking Nightmare / Ice damage / Healing.
Golem: It's funny, Shale has a lot of variety but he's better used standing there and doing nothing. He's really not stellar with anything, except Stone Aura which turns every ally into Yuri Hyuga but makes him unable to act.

Onwards to Awakening.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 19, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Only the first three fights are BS on Hard.  I turned it for Normal for those and then back to Hard and have been fine.  I haven't even done any extra grinding (the new characters keep joining at higher levels!).

Sure, it's hard, but not impossible.

EDIT: Forgot to quote.  Whatever, replying to At3 stuff.

Yeah, it's calmed down after the first 4 hours, or when you actually buy and upgrade equipment.  There's one or two regular enemies that can wreck the whole party in one hit but I found controlling Hikari easy to avoid damage.  Now battles are wait for EX Purge and deal 1 million damage with Cakes/Cats/Syringes.

Anyways, I'm on the start of Phase 3.  You start of in reyvaloli land, covered in cute teddy bears and rainbows.  It's Grefter's dream vacation spot. Plot isn't exciting but it's still rolling with multiple personally disorders and Reyvatiel Joachim. My only complaint so far is while it's nice to have a bro in Tatsumi but then it turns out he's secretly the little girl from AT2.  Niu, do I get anymore playable characters besides 3?. I guess that explains why I never received his ultramove so far.  Though I'm probably overleveled, it's because I already blew 13000 DP of each Reyvatiel's Cosmosphere 1-4.  Laggy taught me to keep my money low, so I've been keeping up buying $4000 snow cones and $6000 chocolate pies.

By far the best feature is the "Panic Button". Anytime your mom or girlfriend walks in the room while you're in the Cosmosphere, hitting the select button covers the entire screen with a weather map or other random images to give the idea that you're not playing a game of girls getting naked. Next time my friend pops in unannounced "Hey let's play some Dragon Age 2 (which is really boring the watch)", I can tell him "Wait until I finish writing down this recipe of BBQ Soda".

EDIT: Oh yeah, I finished Pokemon White.  Hydreggion (faster than my Timid ELECTRIC SPIDER? hax) is a cheating bastard, somehow gets exactly the 4 moves that is SE against my entire team, so I had to blow through 20 Revives until he was out of PP.  I like to think N's character was to satisfy the fangirls.  With all the strange female ass fetish in B/W, they got to give the women their yaoi-bait.

My team was:

Emboar - lvl 51
Stoutland - lvl 48
Krookodile - lvl 49
Galvantunla - lvl 48
Lilligant - lvl 49
Zekrom - lvl 50

Emboar is a terrible pokemon; slow, no defenses and a horrible movepool. Wish I went with Smugleaf or Samurott, water pokemon are awful in this gen. Stoutland is decent but ends up being a Jeigan and HM slave with Strength/Surf (surfing on your sexy mustache dog has always been my dream).  Krookodile owns 2 of the E4 for free, no EQ gave him damage problems when Crush is resisted.  Galvantula has 90% Thunder of good speed/SpAtk, which is completely nuts. Liliigant has the most broken buff in the game and sleep powder, and nothing else!  My Zekrom has awful IVs but he was forced into my party, replacing my level 43 Durant.  It's not a good pokemon but the name is cool and it's a giant ANT so why not.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:14:42 PM by Lord Ephraim »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 19, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
There is something different about the blight, but it seems to all be in Awakening.

Dragon Age 2 - Stabbing some stuff.  I am digging that this game does just seem to be the story of Hawke told really focussed.  It could be about the different factions arguing over stuff, but it does just end up being about Hawke so far (into the final chapter).  It works really well.  It is a shame that yeah the gameplay is lacking.  Not because it was dumbed down or anything, but because there is a lot of grindy trashy combat, much more so than the original which wasn't the best at handling that either.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 19, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
Man, between this, ME2 and Fallout New Vegas, they're putting a big chunk of the main story in the DLC now, instead of just small sidestories.
I've started Awakening and it begins with Isabelle running around killing darkspawn naked. Uhh kay. Saved vigil's keeper, then spent just the nearly all three hundred sovereigns I've acculumated during the main game on runes. This is great.

I gave Anders Crushing Prison, Mass Paralysis and all the glyphs, we'll see how it goes. Archers, meanwhile, went from worthless to MVP thanks to only one skill. So yeah, my main character's damage just kind of doubled. Maybe tripled.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:17:19 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 19, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
Archers are yeah pretty much broken in Awakening.  It is a mix with the new skills being amazingly overpowered and you hit the threshhold for Dexterity where your defense is high enough that your are unable to be hit anymore (other than of Overwhelm).  You can quite happilly run around with most of the party as archers and be almost unkillable.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:25 AM »
Grandia 2 - Finished. What Grefter said applies, it really does a decent job of making the player feel they did something to break the game rather than just press x to win, that's just how the skill system rolls. That said it goes on way too long for the feeling to last and is a chore by endgame. The plot is just laughable. Heart of Valmar was a nice scene capped by a freaky monster design I guess? Overall bad game but I don't feel like I wasted my time experiencing it.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!