Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267619 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1200 on: April 29, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »
I did Hell's Gate in the original, no way in heck I am doing it again!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 29, 2011, 04:05:09 AM »

That is the Palace of the Dead I assume? If so, you'll have to do it if you want to save the life of a certain old astrologist in the download content.

So...  I'm probably just going to use Squall and the starting section of 000 Story Mode in order to get everyone up to where they actually have move options because having to fight dozens of battles to get to Level 4 is idiotic when I can just have four characters sit around and do squat and get there in three battles.

The easiest way to grind level is to fight lv.99 Chaos in the free battle mode. And tweak your own original rule into that the higher the enemy's level over you, the higher your starting brave, then proceed on OHKO Chaos. And you fight him three time at once so you can gain some AP at the same time.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 29, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »

That is the Palace of the Dead I assume? If so, you'll have to do it if you want to save the life of a certain old astrologist in the download content.

So what you are saying is "Fuck that noise".  That said Ciatos do not have a PS3 so no DLC for them anyway unless something has changed for PSP downloads from when I last read about them (Also DLC for portables?  Really?  Like right now?  Before ubiquitous wireless connectivity?  lulz)

POKEMANS - I got a fire monkey thing.  I caught some more to make sure I get one with a Nature I like.  I keep forgetting to actually check their natures and what they do.  So my box is filling up with Fire Monkeys called Flamingo.

I am kind of at a loss, because there is a bunch of mans I want to use because I hear they are kind of alright.  They all are like the same damned typing though and leave gaping holes in my offense.  I don't know what to do.  Do I just grab myself a Sigilyph and call it a day?  I will have to work this out.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 29, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
Sigilyph would be awesome in any other Pokemon game. In Gen 5 though, it's merely okay, due to an abundance of anti-Psychic and anti-Flying mons enemies carry. I used one during the mid-game and it was technically decent, just... underwhelming since it seemed EVERYTHING hit it's weakness.

For example: the Fighting E4, every one of his pokemon carries a high power Rock move. If you want a Psychic, you might want to wait for an Elgyham. I should have used that instead. You do want at least a Dark and a Fighting that is not a Scraggy though (Scraggy is still weak to Fighting).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:15:38 PM by Hunter Sopko »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 29, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
Sigiliyph makes an excellent Fly whore.  I used mine until the end of the first E4 battle.  It's really competent, and especially powerful when you first get it.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
I am not doing a 100 level dungeon to get a Level 2 PC.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »
why not ciatos i thought you were a fan of this gaem

Blue Dragon - Holy shit what is this picking this up again?  Well I finished Disc 1.  Wheeeee.

Edit - Sigilyph will honestly probably get like half its levels from Exp Share because the anti-psychic shit in this game is pretty nuts, but that is fine.  I need something that can Fly and I want something that can use Ice Beam when I get it and a competent Flying skill (until Acrobatics?).  I can probably deal with it not being overly crash hot.  I just need some kind of Pokemon that isn't Ground or Fighting that I like.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:41:57 PM by Grefter »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »

That said Ciatos do not have a PS3 so no DLC for them anyway unless something has changed for PSP downloads from when I last read about them (Also DLC for portables?  Really?  Like right now?  Before ubiquitous wireless connectivity?  lulz)

PSP DLC does not require PS3 though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 29, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
So last time I looked was wrong.  That is fine.  Now there is still the reliance upon wireless connectivity with the PSPs small writable memory.  Whatevers though, if people will buy it then they can sell it I guess.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 29, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
i am a graduate student now not a 15 year old like i was when i did the original's 100 floor dungeon

grefter what should i play now

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 29, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »
Desktop Dungeons

Beat all of the dual-boss dungeons with all classes.  Dragon in the Factory and Gorgon in the Crypt were some of the nastier challenge points.  But there's also classes that just...seem to struggle in general, like Vampire and Crusader in a lot of dungeons.  (Vampire's weird; they start very weak, and end pretty strong.  Gotta get over the "must leave unexplored tiles" instinct, though--unexplored tiles are really bad; explore everything at level 1).

In the Gauntlet, up to level 27.  Still using Elf Transmuter rather than Human Transmuter just because I'm...not losing, so I may as well use the character with more versatility until I start losing (and then I can crank up the power).  I do wonder a little bit if unlocking all the store items is actually a good thing, as it reduces the frequency of some powerful common items.  Then again, Crystal Ball rocks, and it's 36/47, buyable BLUDTOPOWA glyph I can totally see myself using, and that's 35/47.  I've yet to come across Ring of the Battlemage, but...yes please, and that's 41/47.  Yet to come across Orb of Zot, but...goddamn; that would be good if it only hit one target (47/47).  So...the big common items I'd be looking to increase the probability on are Venom Blade, Platemail, and Mage Plate, which are 23/47, 24/47, and 25/47 respectively.  (And occasionally Soul Orb, which is 8/47).  Hmm...I might run some calculations on those later to see how much the probability could actually be increased....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1211 on: April 30, 2011, 12:08:41 AM »
i am a graduate student now not a 15 year old like i was when i did the original's 100 floor dungeon

"Things an RPG has to understand to be a viable moneymaker" for $600.

I'll field this one, Gref.

The answer is always Deus Ex.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 30, 2011, 02:22:34 AM »
Desktop Dungeons

Beat all of the dual-boss dungeons with all classes.  Dragon in the Factory and Gorgon in the Crypt were some of the nastier challenge

I didn't find Dragon in the Factory too bad, namely because Animated Armors lose a level of death protection whether they're on the primary or secondary side of a knockback.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 30, 2011, 02:37:59 AM »

Go finish Mana Khemia 2 you insolent whelp.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 30, 2011, 03:22:36 AM »
GTASA:

*crash plane*
*crash plane*
*crash plane*
*ragequit*

Batman AA:

Got the objective to leave the asylum, pretty solid so far
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: April 30, 2011, 03:24:04 AM »
So last time I looked was wrong.  That is fine.  Now there is still the reliance upon wireless connectivity with the PSPs small writable memory.  Whatevers though, if people will buy it then they can sell it I guess.

TO's DLC are all free though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 30, 2011, 03:43:35 AM »
That is even more puzzling then.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 30, 2011, 06:12:02 AM »
Re: downloading on PSP
Gref, isn't that what memory cards are for? Sony loves the little buggers.

Re: what Ciato should play
* DomaDragoon opens Ciato's Backloggery
* DomaDragoon chooses random category
Hmm... Megaman X3.

Re: what I'm playing
Dynasty Warriors Gundam - Cleared all levels, but still have to go through about ~18000 more kills for that last achievement. Will grind it out some day. Instead, I moved on to...

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 - 24 hours in. Cleared all Official Modes, plugging through Mission Mode with Domon, AKA Captain My Voice Gives Me Super Strength.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 30, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »
Re: downloading on PSP
Gref, isn't that what memory cards are for? Sony loves the little buggers.

All 256 Meg of the default one yeah (if that?). 

Also Ciatos should play FF:MQ next.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1219 on: April 30, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »
The original PSP release had 32 megs, actually!

They've crept up to 4 gigs now, presumably where they'll stay.

How Sony thought 16 gigs on their download service only device would work is beyond me, though.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 30, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
All 256 Meg of the default one yeah (if that?). 

Also Ciatos should play FF:MQ next.

They do come in bigger sizes and aren't that expensive. I know I got one of my 4GB ones with earbuds for around $40 about a year ago. Although that's like $85 in Aussie Fun Bucks, so I can see your point too.

How Sony thought 16 gigs on their download service only device would work is beyond me, though.

Obviously people would delete their games once they're done playing them. I mean, the only other possible option would be to shell out lots of cash to get more memory cards and... oh.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1221 on: April 30, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Did the Go even have ports for memory cards?  I don't see where you'd fit one with the cell phone pull down controller design.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 30, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
They do not.  That 16 GB is all you're ever gonna see.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 30, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
Yeah, apparently they failed at doing math and thought that eight games at once would be enough for anyone.

After all, it's not like you can *carry* more than eight UMDs or anything right.

Wait.

FF6 Eviltype:

I'M DOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE~

Super Robot Taisen Z2 Hakai-Hen:

Stage 32/33 intermission.

Some thoughts...

Good:

-Pretty. In many ways, even better than Z1. Much better at representing original art styles(often for humorous effect, see Godmars floating around like a brick but having elaborate particle animations on hit), pretty much all of the new animations are great, etc.

-Squad system loss isn't nearly as bad as expected. Seven pathsplits would have made squads annoying at best.

-Has a lot of Z's good points like generally good map design with a lot of thought put into it and generally well balanced mechs, etc.

-Has some pretty damn good mixes of songs. Though, I'm not fond of a few(I miss the old version of the song they use for SEED. The faux guitar sounds amazingly bad in it. Otherwise though.).

BAD:

-mother fucking DUMB MAP DECISIONS OUT OF NOWHERE. 95% of the time maps are designed well. 5% they pull something out of FE6. Bosses that never move with time limits for the SR Point? Yeah those are great. Things like taking out Thymylph's battleship only to have him reappear in his mech....about thirteen squares away, for no reason? On a strict four turn time limit that they don't mention this mech appearing in *and* say the battleship's death is the win requirement? Oh sure. Etc.

It's like almost always good and then something PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF once in a while. It's disconcerting and a little hard to plan for.

Also, the game's a little more samey on design. People complained about Z1/@3 masteries being mostly rush and I didn't feel it, but Z2's is "Rush to X" so much it surprises me when it's not. Badly. (Slightly related annoyance: Accel being expensive despite this and despite no squads. C'mon guys, stop making me lose all my low amounts of SP just to even have a chance at a mastery.)

-Mech design has similar weird hiccups. Every mech with Repair is utterly awful...except the battleship that's often forced on you that can't attack at all, which is pretty tanky. Why would you use any Repair mechs? Some mechs often feel completely out of place bad because...as far as I can tell, no one really adjusted them well for a non-squad game, leading to baffling things like Orguss having less damage than the entire Gundam Wing cast, and no real compensation for it. 90% of the mechs are good, then about 10% are utter trash you will never use. A few make sense thanks to their relative plot suck, but...

-Base system is amazingly primitive. Single tier status weapons, PP based skill system, and that's it. You know which game did that last? OG1. (Ignoring AP and SRW Gaiden DS. Both are more primitive but remakes have some reason for it.) Where's swapping units in your battleships like J and W, the last non-remake non-squad games, had? Or Combo attacks, or W attacks? Where's battleships supporting with non-deployed characters? Where's a new system(No, suborders don't count. Well, they do, but they don't add to strategy a whole lot...)? Why is this game so simple?

In summary: Good game, lot of little things that annoy me, would be surprised if I end up finding it as good as Z1. Very much enjoying it anyways though and looking forward to the next game.

Still hope they fix some of that next game though. It isn't as if they're not fixable issues.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:45:19 PM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 30, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
Actually, PSPGo uses something called "Memory Stick Micro" which means you can't use the same mem sticks you might have for non-crappy PSPs, but at least you aren't stuck with just that built-in 16 GB.

Edit: Niu, they put the TO DLC from the JP version on the disc for the NA/EU releases I believe.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:07:20 PM by hinode »