Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267597 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1300 on: May 09, 2011, 01:08:58 AM »
Torchlight: Died against Aldric. Noooooo

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 09, 2011, 02:02:51 AM »
Really?  Ooh, you're so not ready for Ordrak then.

Last Remnant:  finished the six base battles.  Now I'm stuck at the Ladies of Bloody Alice quest, and things just aren't going my way.  Guess I need to go stat-grind a bit.

Radiant Historia:  final area.  I was expecting some really clever motivation from the villain for why he's doing things.  My years of playing RPGs should have taught me better.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 09, 2011, 03:52:05 AM »
Wizard Of Oz- Fuck you forced touch screen usage. Final fight, almost had Oz down. At least had a passable store of MP left; did need to MT  heal, but everyone in the battle was at base speed, so no issues there. But....accidentally hit flee, I auto lose a turn, he doubles MT, 2 PCs dead and I'm basically no longer in any position to win.
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1303 on: May 09, 2011, 05:09:08 AM »
I'm not playing The Witcher II... But I did Pre-order it today.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:04 AM »
Dead Space: I always gotta be crazy don't I, cool enough RE4 in space, final boss is underwhelming past the bit where you shoot it while entangled

Radiant Historia: Gotta teach Stocke a trick, have him jump through a flaming hoop
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
Tell me you are going to play Dead Space 2 Nitori.  I want to hear about your self performed eye surgery.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
Final Fantasy 4: Complete Collection
 - Finished both FF4 and After Years.

Final FF4 Party was Cecil/Kain/Edge/Palom/Porom.
 - Cecil is of course good, and certainly better then Kain and Edge. He's also forced.
 - Kain is... kind of ok? I mean, he's not awful until Cecil's weapons get way stronger then his, and I suppose you could give him the Avenger or something like that. Actually, he was usually the one to get Hasted/Berserked.
 - Edge is decent. He's got damage, at least! Steal was never used once but maybe there is a couple OK things to steal. Throw is good at a couple spots. Defense/HP is bad also.
 - Palom is good! He learns all the good spells like Quake quickly. However, a lot of the later game bosses counter Black Magic, which makes him kind of bad against them.
 - Porom is Rosa -700 HP. Yup, that sums it up. If you want two white mages she's an option.

But yeah, original FF4 is original FF4. It's a fun game but probably running entirely on nostalgia.

Now for After Years! I've actually played through this once before with a friend, so this is a replay.

After Years, in my opinion, does character development better then the original FF4 (Not that it's that hard, but!) The segmented part works, though it sucks not having a full party for a large portion of the game. The game is more difficult then the original but very beatable. Grinding is not necessary but not a bad idea either - the games auto battle makes this easier. Challenge Dungeons are fun to run through once, but not to grind like 9 times looking for items that will get outclassed 30 minutes into the last dungeon.

The tales are a mixed bag, some are fun (Edge, Palom) whereas some aren't that great (Edward, Porom). The final chapter is the best part of the game and the longest. Final team was Ceodore/Palom/Ursula/Leonora/Zangetsu.

Ceodore was solid. He starts off weak - his HP is low for a frontliner, and his magic is kind of bad. He ends up with "good enough" HP and useful buffs like Shell and Haste. He's also really fast.
Palom was great late game, after Dualcast. Dualcast flares = 16K out of almost anything, which is kind of amazing. At first he is slow as dirt, though, and has a poor spell selection. After Quake(again!) he starts to pick up, and Flare makes him great.
Ursula was decent. She's a good candidate for being berserk/hasted, and the Queens Whip I bought in Palom's tale gives her like, 5 more attack, which is good for a while. Tenketsu is a solid special move, Chakra is kind of replacable by X-potions. Her band with Ceodore is great, it's fast and strong.
Leonora is a decent White Mage. I never grinded enough for her to get any black spells worth using other then Stop, which is decent. Learns her spells late, you would probably be better off with Porom or Rosa.
Zangetsu was used because a friend of mine wanted me to. He's... surprisingly usable. He's not GREAT, but he ended up better then I thought! Blitz was like 3K damage to all enemies, which is pretty alright, he can use the Fire Scarf, and Shadowbind is good too. His HP is bad, though, and he could really use more variety, and he's certainly no Kain.

Anyway, the game is fun! I have no idea why but I really like After Years, even if it's probably not that great a game, but I really enjoyed playing it.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 09, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »
Starcraft 2:

So...after not playing for two weeks (and being a mostly 2v2 player to begin with) I come back and...proceed to lose every 1v1 game I played against a DLer.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 09, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »
Radiant Historia:  And done.  Final levels were Stocke 53, Raynie/Aht 50, Marco/Gafka 49, Rosch 47, Eruca 39.

Went into the final part at 201/236.  I did all the sidequest stuff except for those relating to skill books.  Only character I found all the skill books for was Marco.

Fought Kefka with Raynie and Marco since they were default after swapping Chapters.  Managed to win on the first try, though I was getting rather low on items towards the end.

Overall game was good, not great.  The story was fairly solid overall, except (as mentioned previously) the villain's motivation was horribly RPG cliche and not interesting at all.  Stocke is a great main as far as being levelheaded, although he does come off as a bit dull since his main schtick is thinking about decisions a lot.

The combat system was not terribly exciting.  There was some strategy to it, but for the most part there isn't a whole lot to "discover" in it past the the first chapter.  The big problem is that so many moves are near-worthless due to the way defenses are calculated.  Most multi-hit moves have such pathetic multipliers that there's very little reason to use them at all.  Even for the purpose of building up a high combo count, you could almost always get more damage by using strong single-hit moves instead of multi-hit moves in a big combo.  The one interesting thing I discovered very late in the game is that "air" moves are actually useful.  The falling down hit is 25% of the damage of the move that strikes after the air hit.  It only uses the multiplier of the final hit though, so again you want a high multiplier move rather than a multi-hit move.

Also, the encounter system was George Takei.  I have to have my sword fully extended and strike you with the very tip.  You may or may not stop moving randomly.

Characters:

Stocke:  Surprisingly not-overpowered for a main.  Could do everything, but no single thing as well as other characters.  His magic is passable, but unfortunately the ingame weapons tend to be All Physical!  or All Magical!  Not a lot of balanced weapons to fit his playstyle.

Raynie:  Don't make the mistake I did and try for attack power on her.  She is a mage, not a fighter.  Pump up her Magic and let her go to town.  Poison Break is a great move, poison won me so many fights.  Almost nobody is immune.  Even parts of Kefka can be poisoned.  Poison Blast is even awesomer.  I'm fairly sure it does magic damage rather than its listed physical damage.

Marco:  He doesn't do much except not die, and that's sometimes important!  Had one of the few non-Turn Break arts worth using early on, which is ha ha, I laugh at your pathetic damage.  Also Guard Rise and All Recovery are great moves.

Rosch:  Pretty bad at the beginning, especially with his horrendous speed.  Gets better later on and has some great single-target damage.  As well as ONE MILLION hit points.

Aht:  Most unbalanced character in the game?  She's either Godlike with the ridiculous damage from her traps, or nigh-useless when fighting enemies that can't be pushed around.  Later on she gets Cross Star though and is useful everywhere.

Gafka:  Qigong Wave.  I guess he has some other moves and stuff, but Qigong Wave.  Oh yeah, Qigong Wave.

Eruca:  Horrible when you first get her, then she gets some sick MT damage.  But unfortunately she's in your party so little she'll always be underleveled.

=====

So yeah, neat little game, but no contender for best game on the DS (sorry Cmdr King).  Reminded me a lot of Riviera actually.  Any of the same people work on the two games?

EDIT: And what exactly was the point of having a World Map that you (almost) never get to use?  Having to retread through completed areas (and sometimes bosses) to get to whatever city you need to be in to finish a sidequest is a huge deduction for the game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:17:15 PM by Captain K. »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 09, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
FF6 Eviltype- Just finished up the Magitek factory. It's pretty fun, and definitely a step up from FF6 normal type. There are some bumps along the way, but Sage has done a good job fixing and altering it as need be.

VC2- Started this. In February and just saw a Valkyria in a cutscene. Not much to say about the game so far, other than a boo for no saving in battles and a yay for a variety of mission objectives.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 09, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »
Plating a lot of games this month as PSN is down.

Bayonetta: Great game and I have no complaints with it, combat is the best I've seen of this type of game and unlike those other games Bayonetta has a huge amount of variety in its enemy list.
Plat wasn't too hard and it was very enjoyable and thats worth something as there are few games I can tolerate playing playing three times in a row.

Dynasty Warriors 7: Best DW to date which Koei will hopefully build well on instead of doing their usual tactic. Plat was easy but grindy so not much joy involved at the end. Mains were:

Zhang Liao: C3EX is the best EX attack without question as it turns Liao into a Speed demon who dishs out huge damage and is virtually untouchable. Also because he is THE ZHANG LIAO, you know the guy who scared Wu so badly he basically became a demon to the Wu people and required being shot in the Junk (A mans only weakspot) before he went down.

Zhong Hui: Do the enemy not value their officers? Then maybe they shouldn't be sending them against me! Why people hate him I really don't know. "But he sounds so obnoxious and arrogant" I hear the haters say forgetting that this is what Koei were obviously going for, hell he has a unique convo with Yuan Shao to show how even the massively arrogant Yuan Shao considers him too arrogant.
*Cough* Anyway got sidetracked. The Flying swords are pretty broken and his Specials are easily comboed making him the 3rd/4th best fighter.

Heavy Rain: Didn't care for Ethan too much as he was quite boring to watch, Madison had fan-service but she felt unimportant, Scott was an overweight ninja who was immune to gunfire and thus was badass but the best guy to me was Norman Jayden the FBI man. His parts featured the most fights and the crime scene parts were great for what they were but what really makes him the best is his interaction with Carter Blake who is a policemen who'd properly beat the crap out you for speeding. Plat was easy but the constant replies weared me out a bit.

Batman AA: Doesn't disappoint. The thing I heard at some points back when it was released was about fights in hard mode dragging out but that must have been those complaining people not having a grasp on how criticals activate. With them even 10 goons are laid to waste in under a minute by Batman.   

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 10, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »
Shining Force 3 Part 1 - Alright game you've made your point I'll promote people.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18:07 AM »
Do I get to ubergnaw.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:48 AM »
You're still floating in the river.  Maybe we'll see in Part 2.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 10, 2011, 01:21:35 AM »
You'll eventually have to play part 3, you know. Also, is the game, you know. Actually good?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 10, 2011, 01:26:17 AM »
Hells yes
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:23 AM »
It's decent.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:50 AM »
Is it worth bothering with Saturnmulation.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 10, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »
Eh sure.  Saturn emulation is shockingly painless if you have a decent comp anyways.  And if you don't then at least the crappy one I'm using beats N64 emulation.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:26:19 AM by Random Consonant »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 10, 2011, 04:26:20 AM »
So yeah, neat little game, but no contender for best game on the DS (sorry Cmdr King).  Reminded me a lot of Riviera actually.  Any of the same people work on the two games?

Nope. Radiant Historia, like its name implies, shares staff with Radiata Story.
Riviera is by Sting, a part of Dept. Heaven Series, which includes games like Yggdra Union. Knight of Nightmares, Gungir and so on.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: May 10, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »
Desktop Dungeons:

Well...back to elf, and I got a couple dungeons that were simple enough for elf, but probably would have failed for Dwarf.  Both Gharbad the - Whoooah fights with CYDSTEPP.  One where the regen bonus was APHEELSIK, so the extra mana mattered: having three or four attempts to land the 40% status on Ghabad helps a lot.  The second one I...didnt have a regen buff.  I just...had enough raw mana and item resources to kill without regen.

This is pretty relevant, as it shakes my worldview a little.  Winning without reegen cheese?  I didn't think this was feasible.  I'm now wondering about using a different class that's really built for blowing up bosses without needing regen (like Bloodmage).  Bloodmage should normally be able to deal, what, 800 fireball damage without regen if you can Binlor to level 10?  At Gauntlet level 50 that's enough to kill...uhh...only Medusa.  And Gharbad if you have CYDSTEPP and enough HP resources to use your bloodmage mana potions....

Ok, so maybe it's not such a great plan after all....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:25:10 AM by metroid composite »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 11, 2011, 01:00:13 AM »
Really?  Ooh, you're so not ready for Ordrak then.

He summoned 4 dragons who swarmed me right when my shield died.
I'm going to replay this with the same character, but not on hardcore mode.
...Maybe?
I don't consider this time lost anyway, this was always fun. But I get tired of casting the shield every twenty seconds.

I'm now in summer holidays, playing video games for two months while my girlfriend still has classes. Life is truly unfair.

Mirror's Edge: Tutorial of doom. Controls are unintuitive at first, but it gets fairly awesome past the first level. I'm trying not using weapons at all, because it feels right (and because there's an achievement, yeah. Shut up)

Game of the day: Final Fantasy 4 heroes of light

Awful game. It's supposed to be oldschool

Read: FF1 dungeons, FF1 plot. But the battle is different. While it is standard turn based stuff, every action (attack, any magic....) consumes one or two crystal thing, and you get one crystal thing back every turn.  Sounds kinda interesting, but it's not. There's no resource management and the game is only slightly difficult when it arbitrarily splits your party, so every battle is a bore. Even the classes are boring.

I just don't see any point to this.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 11, 2011, 01:45:24 AM »
Tactics Ogre - Beat this! Quick review time.

Story-wise, I think the game does something very neat with the pathsplit at the end of chapter 1. I went law route so I'll talk only about that for now... I also really liked the stuff at the end of chapter 2. And Lans has one really solid scene with the other Lans somewhere in chapter 3-4. Unfortunately the rest of the plot in the later two chapters isn't really worth talking about, and there aren't exactly many compelling characters, and the endgame plot is really stupid. Basically the game's plot is FFT without FFT's good parts. It had potential at least, and I don't come away from the game thinking "wow that sucked" but despite its flashes of promise it's not a game for which story is the reason to play it.

Gameplay is quite solid of course. It's a small thing arguably, but I really like how you could scroll over enemies to get damage projections even when they were out of range, helped you choose where to move and streamlined everything. It makes the core gameplay great. Class system is okay though I wish there was more reason to crossclass. New classes starting at Level 1 is a terrible, terrible idea and pretty much singlehandedly lowers the game a point, obviously its worst feature. The game's mechanics felt borderline impenentrable and at times a bit glitchy (I still don't think Lion Dance, Misery, or Anatomy/etc. actually do anything, at least on units with Strengthen) which is unfortunate but the great damage projections make up for this so it's okay. Also, not sure what they were thinking with a 14-floor inescapable final dungeon with virtually zero plot. C'mon guys.

Despite the flaws it's a very fun SRPG and certainly rises above the uninspired efforts of the genre. I'd put it #3 in that style of SRPG behind FFT and WAXF but that was virtually inevitable unless the game blew my socks off or was a complete disappointment.

I finished around Level 24, 45ish hours. Did almost nothing optional until right before the final dungeon where I cleared that forest area mostly so I'd have enough money to have Blessing Stones for the final dungeon. If I'd been better at the game this wouldn't have been necessary of course, and even then it was arguably overkill; the final dungeon wasn't especially hard. Granted I apparently missed the final boss' best move. Party was 3 archers, 1 vartan, 2 knights, 2 warriors, 1 ninja, 2 clerics, and 1 dragoon. Played around with others, so... class reviews~

Archer: Everyone knows this is the best class, right? Not too much to say, most battles being "defeat boss" made them even better than they would be otherwise (which was already MVP-potential), their offence is frequently range ~10 and they have a much more generous line of fire than most other ranged options. Great damage, Tremendous Shot for even more when needed, and for some reason they have great evade, so they aren't even liabilities on durability like other offensive classes. 3 move is the only complaint. Accuracy in rain was also bad earlygame but this totally goes away for some reason. Objectively I should have used more than three probably.

Warrior: Archer with more durability but only 1 range. Obviously that's a losing trade (it can be hard to attack the enemies you want to attack), but they're still competent, and their counters hurt enough to be noticed, especially towards the end. They don't do much besides hit things, counter things, and use Field Alchemy when hitting things isn't called for, but they've got the stats at least.

Wizard: Not impressed here. They're like archers with worse damage (especially right after being revived), worse range/targetting freedom, and waaay worse durability. They have some limited multitarget later and some status but I don't think this excuses the wretched durability which I found quite a hindrance.

Cleric: Kinda like wizard in that the durability sucks, but they can generally stay further back so this isn't as much of an issue. Still, I'd say their job could be served well enough by items (although money in this game can be an issue) except... Major Heal. And especially Mother's Blessing Major Heal. This can often negate half a dozen enemy actions in one fell swoop and is just amazing action economy. There's also Exorcism, which while not great that often is invaluable in a few fights (especially since you can't move through the panels of stilled undead. WTF?). Lacking offence sucks, but Boon of Swiftness gives them something to do when you for some reason don't need any healing at all. Probably the class that feels third most useful to me, although I'd never use more than two (one serves fine for many battles, even).

Rune Fencer: Sorta suffers from the same curse as some versions of the FF red mage. Heal is nice for range but it's not nearly the upgrade Major Heal is, and they're just a bit too close to the real mages in durability. Kinda the worst of both word between the pure mages and knight, it feels like.

Knight: And this would be the already-alluded to #2 class. Knights are durable bastards - physical, magical, status, you name it. Kinda like LFT knights in this regard. They're slow, but they get in enemies' way and make them waste attacks, while providing ranged healing so they can stand where they need to stand and abuse Rampart Aura to protect others. And hey, they can counter, so they contribute a bit more on offence than they otherwise might. Just all-around good stuff, Knghts + Archers feels the easiest way to dominate the game.

Terror Knight: Really didn't use this one much, but wasn't too impressed by what I did see.

Berserker: Goes for the lower-durability, higher-offence mold than warrior... which isn't really a great idea on a frontliner, and then they make it worse by Berserk being generally not as good as Mighty Impact (it could have been, if we'd been allowed to target empty panels, but as is it is often difficult to hit the enemies needed). Pass.

Dragoon: Oddball. Great to have when fighting beasts or dragons, since the slayer skills just do amazing damage. Subpar warrior wannabe otherwise, but not so large a downgrade (in particular, durability is fine, unlike a few classes just talked about) to really make you suffer, so I certainly enjoyed using one.

Ninja: Now we start getting to the classes who are gained kinda late and struggle a bit as a result. Still, ninjas are pretty handy. The extra mobility is nice, and the damage is great even if the katana masteries are horrid for anything but ranged options. Ninja spells are... I dunno, overall, but Decoy is good when you finally get that. Could be great if they'd actually had good evasion instead of shockingly bad, as is the durability holds them back in many fights.

Warlock: Can't say I was interested in a wizard clone that also had the underlevelled problem! Maybe if it had had 4 move...

Swordmaster: Swordmaster seems to have a lot of potential but the durability is just too bad, even worse than Berserker is no good. Preempt is great and certainly their selling point, but you just generally don't want the Swordmaster wading into the front lines enough to abuse it. I guess there's potential with knockback but even then too many enemies are immune and ranged enemies will carve the SM apart. Lion Dance sadly sucks and the healing one is kinda useful but not enough to excuse the other flaws.

Ranger: 4 move archer. Or 4 move ninja with less bad durability. Underlevelled though, not really worth it.

Anything that joins after this point: Do not want.

Feels like the balance could overall have been better but still fun enough.

---

Valkyrie Profile - In Chapter 8! I am not using reaction abilities or Angel Curios (shock) this playthrough, or the Creation Jewel, and am not religiously fighting everything like I have on every previous playthrough. Does make things a bit more interesting. I died once to Wraith since he OHKOed my party despite lightning defence, BExped Valkyrie to avoid this happening again. I've also died once to Fire Elementals spamming Flame Banner in Citadel of Flame and a double-possessed Haunt since I really, really screwed up a fight in Celestial Castle. Laziness woo. This has been quite a quick and casual playthrough (I'm still under 14 hours, nearly done) but it's been a fun enough romp.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 11, 2011, 02:03:21 AM »
"New classes starting at Level 1 is a terrible, terrible idea and pretty much singlehandedly lowers the game a point, obviously its worst feature."
Wow, really? The original game didn't have that. I wonder why someone thought that was a good idea, the rest of the game seems improved in every way.
I found the beginning of law path about as neat as FFT gets, but that was a long time ago.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 11, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »
Was gonna say I don't remember that being in the original, so yeah, I have to question WHY...

The only logic I can think of is promoting the idea of keeping characters in one job to have an FF3 Style Job system, where the option to change is there if you don't like the results, but its more beneficial to stick with one Job the entire game (Contrast to FF5 style of "Swap as much as you want for fun Party Dynamic!" that FFT uses.)  The original game didn't really penalize you for swapping, but at the same time, gave no incentive to change either; it was just kind of "ho hum I think I'll change this guy for shits", or alternatively "Ok, finally got my *insert Job here*, now I can stop using *insert Job Pre-Req here* and move onto that!"   

Doesn't sound like they made a wise decision in that regard, cause there are so many better ways to do it, as "Start at level 1" is always stupid unless its a game where levels are meaningless, but then that just begs the question "why have levels at all?"  If they wanted the FF3 "Stay In Job Longer" thing, there must have been a far better way to go about it then "BACK TO LEVEL 1 LULZ!"  Doesn't have to use the Job Level system that FF3 had (which...thinking on it, why DID FF3DS have Job Sickness?  They made JLevels matter a lot more than in FF3o, so that alone would be an incentive to stick with one Job for the long term), but I'm sure there's someway that doesn't make changing jobs look undesirable such that the "experiment!" option is still there.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A