Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267599 times)

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1325 on: May 11, 2011, 02:38:06 AM »
To be fair though, most enemies scale to your party's level and you get bonus EXP for using more than one of the same unit, so it's fairly easy to grind up new classes if you wanted.  I agree that they should have joined at a higher level though, maybe half the average of your current class pool?  Great game though, one of my favorites ever.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:26 AM »
Really? I thought enemies had fixed levels in story battles just like FFT. Now that I think about it though I'm not certain where I got that impression. Regardless, obviously anything that requires grinding is pretty much a "just for fun" option in a game like this, which makes it disappointing that latejoining classes are such suboptimal choices for efficient play.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 11, 2011, 04:50:58 AM »
They were probably hoping that people wouldn't try to just blitz through the game and dip into the sidequests/optional battles. This would theoretically allow the player to dip more time into various jobs and experiment around is my guess. As is though, yeah. The most efficient team to play with are a group of knights/white knights/knight variant + archers. Some of the other classes are sorta neat, but they come in way too late and are just not worth the effort. Story characters with unique classes get hosed especially hard, even if said unique class would be pretty cool.

Also, I play games. Sort of.

7th Saga:
Done. Let us never speak of this atrocity again. While I tear out the rest of the my last shreds of hope in the world, I will be beating Super up with a shoe.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 11, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »
Wizard of Oz- Huh. Didn't touch the game right after losing to Oz, turn off, reset, save now has the same items I did after losing despite not touching the system for a second afterwards...

Phantom Brave- Chugging along a little. Battles improved a little, although with the tougher battles it still feels like it's fighting against the turn limits and not the enemies to a large degree.
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 11, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
which...thinking on it, why DID FF3DS have Job Sickness?  They made JLevels matter a lot more than in FF3o, so that alone would be an incentive to stick with one Job for the long term

Because like everything else in FF3 remake it was a half done good idea of a remake.  Oh lets remake this game.  lets not think about it and make it a direct copy of FF3.  Fucking stupid bullshit is the result.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
Desktop Dungeons:

So...the game threw a series of softballs at me.  Like...Gharbad vs Orb of Zot + CYDSTEPP.  I finally got to pull off a move I've been theorizing about for a long time, though--that I should not convert WONAFYT as soon as I find it, because I might Binlor to level 10, and then be able to use it to summon the boss if I haven't found them yet (potentially getting more value out of regen spaces--in this case I had poison fireball prepared so yes: it really mattered).

The one hard fight came at Gauntlet...54, I think?  I got to level 10 with fireballs and BLUDTOPOWA while about 1/4 of the map was uncovered, and the boss was Tower of Goo!  Perfect!  And...it was still damn close; like, I needed some shops to win.

My shop priorities have definitely shifted around, though.  It's gone from "just about everything is good" to "usually I won't have enough stuff to spend my money on."  Dancing Sword is almost an auto-buy now, and I used to just ignore it.  Scouting Orb likewise I nearly always buy just to improve regen tactics (not to mention, finding key combo pieces), whereas before I'd only buy it in specific circumstances because it technically doesn't do anything.  (I still have yet to bother with Stone of Seekers, though :/)

On a sidenote overall I'm finding Elf Binlor less...fun than Dwarf Binlor.  There's just...often not very much calculation to do when you're doing magic damage.  Either you're beating regen or you're not.  Burst kills are generally just "Figure out how much mana you have after potions; that equals X spells that deal Y damage; does X*Y kill?"  It's a lot less dynamic than physical setups, which just have more variables and moving parts.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 11, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Really? I thought enemies had fixed levels in story battles just like FFT. Now that I think about it though I'm not certain where I got that impression. Regardless, obviously anything that requires grinding is pretty much a "just for fun" option in a game like this, which makes it disappointing that latejoining classes are such suboptimal choices for efficient play.

Enemies do have fixed levels unless you grind too much, then they scale.  Or so I've heard.  I don't think I've ever outlevelled the enemies yet...

Also, you don't get bonus EXP for using more than one of a class.  That class just takes more of the EXP pool.  Lower level classes also take a larger share.  This does make levelling new classes easier, but the rest of the party will be getting less EXP so there's no net gain.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »
which...thinking on it, why DID FF3DS have Job Sickness?  They made JLevels matter a lot more than in FF3o, so that alone would be an incentive to stick with one Job for the long term

Because like everything else in FF3 remake it was a half done good idea of a remake.  Oh lets remake this game.  lets not think about it and make it a direct copy of FF3.  Fucking stupid bullshit is the result.

Eh, honestly, Save Points (or should I say, the complete lack there-of) and Job Sickness (though, Job Sickness I did find irrelevant for a good part of the game cause the stat losses were so minor) are the only poorly planned ideas in FF3DS if you ask me.  Things like "Black Belt really sucks" for balance are at least understandable when you consider they were trying to completely re-balance 20 some odd jobs to all have a long term purpose, so there are going to be hiccups along the way. 

...though thinking on it, they didn't fix FF3 Equipment Display screen nor mention elemental resists anywhere.  Heck, they even REMOVED a feature from FF3o where while the game would at least tell you  "Magic Power Up!" when you equipped a magic boosting weapon; wouldn't say by how much, but its a step in the right direction.  FF1/2 (originals anyway) have an excuse of having no equipment that offered such bonuses, so this was the first time they had to deal with Passive Bonus equips like that.  Go figure they REMOVED that little thing in FF4 for some unknown reason.  Much like how FF7 beat its equipment screen with a nerf stick after FF5 and FF6 decided to have really good ones that showed you just about everything being altered stat wise...especially insulting since in FF7, just about all Weapons have some passive bonus to Magic, you just wouldn't know this cause of its "barely above FF4 equipment stat display" screen.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
I say this as someone that didn't play FF3o.  I found the first couple of hours of FF3 remake to be completely and totally obtuse and unapproachable.  This was by design.  This makes the game terrible.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 12, 2011, 02:53:40 AM »
Desktop Dungeons

I beat Matron of Flame at Gauntlet level 57 O_O (dealing over 1800 damage).

Sooo...the big thing I learned from this is that BLUDTOPOWA + Crystal Ball is actually an amazing combo; way better than I previously thought.  With fireballs it deals 10 damage per tile; compare to the 3.33 damage per tile you deal if you only have one or the other.  The weird thing is that superficially the combo doesn't seem that good.  Normally, you regen 1 mana per tile.  Either of these items on their own makes you regen 2 mana per tile.  Awesome, right?  Both of them together make you regen 3 mana per tile.  This seems disappointing; 3?  Not 4?  Lame.  In reality it's amazing: boss regen pretty much cancels out with 1.5 of mana regen per tile.  So...with only one or the other, 2-1.5 = 0.5 practical mana, and with both, you get 3-1.5=1.5 practical mana.  Triple the amount!

To give you an idea of just how good this is...normally the poison glyph is just better than BLUDTOPOWA.  It deals almost 50% more damage per tile.  If you already have Crystal Ball, however, suddenly BLUDTOPOWA is the better glyph.  If you have all three, it's almost to the point that it's not worth the mana to poison the boss, your damage is just that high.  (If your max MP is less than or equal to 16, casting poison is like a 5 mana fireball instead of 6 mana in this case.  At 17+ max mana it gets more worthwhile, mind: 14 damage per tile instead of 10).

EDIT: of course, as soon as I post that something even nuttier happens. I beat Frank the Zombie at Gauntlet level 58.  Frank being the boss I dismissed as not sensibly beatable above Gauntlet level 20 or so.  Effectively the same combo, just swap out Crystal Ball with the even rarer Ring of the Battlemage.

This is actually making me consider Human over Elf.  The problem with Human is that it's 100% worse if CYDSTEPP isn't on the map, and if APHEELSIK is the regen booster, then Human and Elf are basically tied.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:48:51 AM by metroid composite »

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 12, 2011, 06:07:08 AM »
Banjo-Kazooie: Beat. I have to say, I was not impressed. Wonky camera, fiddly flying/swimming, not nearly as much personality as I expected, levels were at least a bit too small, the bloody engine room, stupid quiz... it's certainly not a bad game, but not one I'd recommend.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 12, 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
Rare's games age badly in general. Banjo Kazzoie/ Tooie, Donkey Kong Country, Perfect Dark...
I remember getting Jet Force Gemini three or four years after its release and I couldn't believe how objectively awful it was.

Torchlight: STARTED VHHC AGAIN. This time it's going more smoothly since I'm focusing on Titan Stomp and not using the shield all the time. Currently in the second to last dungeon.

Edit: "I say this as someone that didn't play FF3o.  I found the first couple of hours of FF3 remake to be completely and totally obtuse and unapproachable.  This was by design.  This makes the game terrible."

The whole game is like that really (Actually it becomes worse about it) but I wouldn't have it any other way personnally.
(Still dislike FF3DS for butchering the job system though)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:43:15 AM by Fenrir »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 12, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
I remember getting Jet Force Gemini three or four years after its release and I couldn't believe how objectively awful it was.
Whereas I still think of it as the only shooter I've ever actually enjoyed, and really enjoyed playing it again late last year.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 12, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
http://www.load.to/8QUZyniByu/Tyrian_2000__1999__Eclipse_Software__-_PC_Windows_Setup.rar

Here is a shooter.  Play this shooter.  It is free now.  It is a good shooter.

Pokemans - Holy shit I have 5 badges.  I have Fly.  I have nothing that can fly.  I should really have got that Sigilyph.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 12, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Tyrian is pretty awesome, yeah. It's not a traditional difficulty-oriented shmup, though I'm sure someone has played the entire huge thing long enough to 1cc(But it's huge and does have some cheapshots.). But it's sure as hell fun despite that.

SRWZ2:

Completed.

General thoughts earlier have held up; The game has good main PC balance, terrible secondary PC balance, map quality and especially SR quality all over the place, good base systems, no new additions worth mentioning whatsoever, and is pretty.

It's still pretty good when it's good. 8/10 game? High 7/10?

Currently been mucking with Desktop Dungeons some(I blame Metroid. It's neat enough) and trying to figure out what I feel like playing next. Probably need to get back into Pokemon.

Want to play more Metroid Prime but my wrist got injured again when I was lifting something heavy and it needs a few more days. :(
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 12, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
So stuff, finished KH:BBS a while back, generally fun game, though it did get a bit tiresome by the third character, totally played Aqua first and had no clue what was going on in the end of her story which was loldumb on my part, also did the mirage arena in Aqua's story after I finished the main game, which while not terrible for most of the rounds got gruesome by the last two, decided I wasn't enough of a masochist to try the two secret bosses of lolspamcureyourselfwhileIcontinuetocomboyouto1hpwithnochancetorecoverlolol.

VP2: God dammit, I feel like i could have potentially really liked this game, except that the level designs just kind of pissed me off and getting certain accessories for skills is faq bait, and which characters have better moves is faq bait and more faq bait and blaaaaaaargh.  Also there is like 3 different copies of each type of accessory in the game which if you are too lazy to sell off like me makes it so you have to sift through like eleventy billion copies of junk to find the one type you are looking for, though that's my own fault for being paranoid of selling some random rune/color combo that may have been needed or something.  I may or may not come back to try the after game at some point in the distant future, just having to deal with three stages of "your entire party can be poisoned through immunity if you make a wrong jump hope you brought 50 dews!" can just go die and pretty much removed any enjoyment I was getting at the time for this playthrough.

Currently debating with myself on what to play next.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 12, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Shining Force 3 Part 1 - Fuck Harpies.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:27 PM »
I still want to play that... why the hell hasn't anyone translated all three scenarios yet!?!

Also, I played that Goldeneye game for the Wii. It is Gawd awful. they took out all the fun modes from the 64 game, kept the shitty 64 graphics and gave you a golden controller as compensation. I was horrible.

~

Tales of Syphonia: We got to the second world! Yay! That means one thing and one thing only for me. ZELOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is still the man and has had my GF saying, "Oh lord," a lot. He still gets a smile out of me. Plus he came just in time, because the cast is pretty dull until you get him. Sometimes Raiine shows emotion and Lloyd is just annoying, but other then that everyone is kinda bland. Sheena helps, but she comes late. Zelos just delivers a much needed adrenaline shot to the cast and everyone acts off his character from then on.

I think we have to take Presea home or something like that. Also, something that annoyed me and I was just reminded of it after getting Zelos again is his victory voice gets really low and you can hardly hear what he is saying. It bothered me when I played it before and it is sure to bother me now. 
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
I still want to play that... why the hell hasn't anyone translated all three scenarios yet!?!

They're almost there! Scenario 3 is 6/7ths done.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Hey Random, you run into any particular technical problems getting ShF3 running? I ask because I tried to play it a while back but the emulator skipped through all the text as though some button were jammed in turbo mode. Could never figure out why this happened. (I know, SHINING FORCE PLOT, but dammit, if I'm going to play something, I want to know what's going on.)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 13, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
None whatsoever.  The intro text skips but I assumed that was just due to some combination of button pressing.  Only problem I've been having is some minor graphical issues, but that's because the emulator I'm using is crap.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:32:28 AM by Random Consonant »

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 13, 2011, 04:24:53 AM »
X-Men Arcade: Played and beat this. Infinite continues and total abuse of powers made it incredibly easy. I can see why it was popular back in the day, but now... well, actually it's still good for a beat-em-up.

Super Meat Boy: Got the True End. Hooray for me!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 13, 2011, 05:36:24 AM »
Banjo-Kazooie: Beat. I have to say, I was not impressed. Wonky camera, fiddly flying/swimming, not nearly as much personality as I expected, levels were at least a bit too small, the bloody engine room, stupid quiz... it's certainly not a bad game, but not one I'd recommend.

Personally, I still enjoyed BK even now. The camera was never really an issue for me. My biggest complaint was flying. And I thought the level sizes were just right. Where as in DK64 and Banjo-Tooie, the levels felt way too big for their own good.

Oh right games, I started playing Chrono Trigger since everyone told me to go play it after Super's massive weapon of doom. Just got to the End of Time. Will play more later.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:14 AM »
None whatsoever.  The intro text skips but I assumed that was just due to some combination of button pressing.  Only problem I've been having is some minor graphical issues, but that's because the emulator I'm using is crap.

Out of curiosity, which emulator? (Would rather deal with the occasional graphical bug or skip than a textless game.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 13, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Torchlight: Started on VHHC again as a destroyer, this time with a bigger focus on Titan Stomp. Things definitely die a hell of a lot more quickly. Right before fighting dark zealots, I went in one of Hatch's side dungeon, a fire prison clone...
NOOO WHY DID MY HPs GO FROM FULL TO 0 AGAIN??? THERE WASN'T ANY GOBLIN ARCHER!!

Restarted on regular Very Hard mode (a character is not erased when he dies) with one of the worst builds you could possibly make: Melee vanquisher with a focus on strength. I've died a few times against Brink already. It felt good.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:05:05 AM by Fenrir »