Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267504 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1750 on: July 16, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
BoFIII- Final dungeon has been relatively easy so far. Chimera was a complete joke boss who failed to even take out/put a dent in Nina (also Nina War Cry x 3, Ryu Focus > Focus > Super Combo - 3000~ damage, Rei Weretiger - 1500~ <.<) >_> Just defeated the Dragon Lord. He also failed to take out anybody <_< I am currently saved back in the room with the beds. Team is Ryu Lv42, Rei Lv38, Nina L39. They were my highest levelled characters before entering the dungeon (36, 31, 33) but really I just like them =-) Besides I am saving the real CT bait broke/smash for the replay (though the game did force her yet again to get rid of the plant thing blocking further progress in the dungeon)  :P

(oh yes Ryu's Kaiser is gloriously OP - picked Infinity/Trance/Radiance for the first time vs the boss in Ryu's dream which resulted in this and ... yeah >_> Focus > Focus > Super Combo - almost 4000 damage (OHKO?) ;o)

Yaay for more peeps playing Lost Odyssey!~
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:49:28 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 16, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
Chimera is actually the source of many resets for new players in BoF3 due to Paralyze Tail.  Getting a highly accurate Paralysis move out of nowhere slamming you and in BoF3, Paralysis is considered death ala Petrify in many games  To make matters worse, I think it ignores Kaiser and Tiamat's status immunity (especially bad in the latter since Paralyzed Tiamat/Behemoth/Mammoth = Instant Game Over.  Yes, even though Ryu doesn't actually die in Dragon Form -_-)...

But that's really the only threatening thing he has, so if he never uses, its a pretty safe fight.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 16, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
As someone who sucked at BoF3 (as in: 3+ resets on the squids on the Black Ship) AND saw Paralysis Tail, Chimera was still a joke!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 16, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
Considering how the leader of her people dresses, Cooke is still very conservative in dress...

Well I'm glad, because she's 10!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
Cthulhu Saves the World: had some trouble with Ape Princess until I realized that Kraken ignores defenses, so that's an easy way to knock the dogs out of the fight early.  This was the first boss that took a couple tries.  At first I tried blinding the dogs instead, but my blind strike wasn't always taking effect and I really needed to spend Umi's turns on healing anyway.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: July 17, 2011, 05:16:49 AM »
Considering how the leader of her people dresses, Cooke is still very conservative in dress...

This.

Poor Cooke hardly has a role model in terms of fashion sense from her own family members either :P

Play Lost Odyssey Ciatos? ^_^

Huuh. I think Chimera might have used Paralyze Tail once or something but I either used Cure on it or it was on someone unimportant for the fight (like Nina after all the buffs/debuffs were up >.>) Well considering the amount of damage Rei and Ryu were putting out ... also Slow/Speed Down worked on this boss (I had Nina cast it during the start of the fight while Rei started with the Speed Ups) so between this and tossing up the War Shouts Nina wasn't entirely useless for the fight either (everyone was getting Ex Turns so I think it was the Chimera just didn't really have time to threaten with status really) <.< NEB yeah I remember those. The game was blabbing something about moving up the ship and I was like ... wait ... what ... oh crap. Bad reaction times there. I managed to win but it was touch and go for a bit while there were two of them around, there was healing a plenty, revival and then me cursing the rest of the fight because after managing to take one out (Focus > Focus > Aura abuse with Warrior!Ryu whee) the remaining one wouldn't use Multistrike during the remainder of the battle and instead just spammed Blizzard and the rest of it's ice/water arsenal until it ran out of it AP ... then it sometimes used base physicals ... and spells with no AP! (failed to cast) I'm not even sure Multistrike is worth it now (got it later from something else) but I really wanted it then >.>

So ... final boss was also a joke. I think I broke the game too hard with my hammer despite not even trying -that- hard  :P I even went easy on her too; no dragon form with Ryu, no Weretiger for Rei, all humans the entire fight~

Full recap of final/overall thoughts on the game later.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 17, 2011, 05:20:08 AM »
I played the first 30 minutes. Been lazy lately.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 17, 2011, 05:50:13 AM »
Lost Odyssey: Started! Not much to say beyond that, other than "Sky Volcano" and "This game thinks its a Final Fantasy" (I mean that in a neutral sense, mind.)

Gargoyle's Quest 2: Randomly decided to replay this cause...I could.  Beat it!  I did have to just password past the forest cause I hate that level, and I was boring those watching, and the game gets more fun after it cause you GET NEW ABILITIES and that level is a stupid filler level that is longer than it should be and GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

...but it was still fun besides that.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 17, 2011, 05:54:05 AM »
Final Fantasy 4 The After Years – Girls Stay in the Back

I asked people who I should play as, and the vote was for the stache, so I played as Yang! Yang has an overzealous, excitable daughter named Ursula. He is a killjoy and doesn’t want to train her, so she runs off. Meanwhile, we find out that Cecil has been acting crazy and Yang is in total denial about this.  OMG CECIL'S TOO NICE AND PERFECT TO DO SOMETHING BAD!!! We go to find Ursula on a mountain and she is kicking the ass of some evils and she is investigating the meteor on her own. Probably not a good idea, but whatevs.

This section seems to have better gameplay than the last; Ursula is a very fast, kind fragile PC and Yang is quite tanky. The three monks are kinda boring, but they are generics. Ursula once she gets caught up is quite good because of Kick’s charge time. Kick takes an extra turn to charge, but because Ursula is so fast it is actually worth using on her. So we explore and find out bad things are happening, we have a sequence where Yang and monks get slowly backed into a corner in the crystal room while the women stay behind (this has never happened before), the crystal is stolen, time to go to Baron and bitch at some dudes.

The boat gets attacked! So we land on an island. In what seems like at least the fifth time in this quest, Yang tells his daughter she can’t come with him to find fuel and he gets lost so she goes anyway. This part is infuriating because it keeps switching between Ursula and Yang except every time it switches back to Ursula, she gets thrown in the back. Which is obnoxious because she’s the best physical PC in her group. This happens DURING A BOSS FIGHT which made me angry until I realized it was a plot fight. So we kill the turtle boss thing with weakened special which made it slow. Yang realizes his daughter isn’t a total putz so he agrees to train her.

The highlight of the story is the reappearance of the EX-KING OF FABUL, the sexer of Yang’s wife and the power behind the throne. I thought the Duke Consort was a suspicious fellow when I met him, but in the flashback to Ursula’s birth, he’s wearing a crown! OBVIOUSLY, HE IS THE EX-KING. Still ruling even after 17 years and banging Yang’s wife for life.

Overall this story was better than Edward’s even if it has Cecil fellatio much like Edward’s. I think every man in this world wants Cecil to make them his bitch or something, geez. And I even liked the guy in the original game. The quest emphasized that speed is much more important than in the original game because Ursula 3-2’s the world and it is awesomesauce. Definitely going to use her later.

Next is the brattiest brat in the whole world, Palom aka Blue aka Marza the Sorcerer!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:28:46 AM by Ciato »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
OPP 4 life

Lufia 2 Remake - So I am sick of fighting Gades.  Up to what had better fucking be the last fight with him.  They take away all your characters but and like double his fucking damage.  So dodging his shit is a pain in the arse and hits for 3HKO damage.  Fuck this fight.  It is like the fifth one or so in the game so far?  Seriously overkilled this fight.  I suppose that means I should be able to dodge the attacks fine right?  Yeah except for the new ones or the one where the animation changes to coming from the opposite side of the screen at the last minute almost at the time you needed to be dodging from the left, so it just fucks you over when you can't dodge any more.

I should put this another way.  This is a Lufia 2 remake, so the target market is people that liked the original.  The overlap between fans of the original and people with amazing reaction times is pretty fucking low.  Previous fights just honestly lets you tank through it just fine.  Now it is raep tiems.

Breath of Death - Got the vampire chick, dungeons in this are frustrating.  So many branching paths that don't head anywhere , but hey want to check everywhere for chests right?  Edit - I dont meant this in that they are dead ends, they are branches that loop back on to the main path, which is awesome for when you are going back and forth checking paths for chests.  If you lose track of where you are it is pretty easy to walk around in circles for a while or to just miss a branch that actually goes somewhere else from the main path. 

Then enemy formations are fucking enormous 6 enemies?  ergh.  Yes you can AoE them down and stuff, but it is just really draining to go through long winding dungeons and then have huge trash clears.  Restricted number of fights in an area is a good thing.  Wow that number of restricted fights is fucking huge though.

A lot of the less conventional things in the game are really great though! I do look forward to more stuff like this, but it is a real slog to chew through the content.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:42:34 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem - Up to 5-1+, S-11+, X-1.

Spent most of my gaming time recently on this. Decently fun.

Plus mode sounded like the least possible interesting use of my time and I just played through 1+ to see what the plus mode DK and minigame were like, yet I have somehow since meandered halfway through the main and special levels.

Have not looked into the expert levels yet for some reason.

Also started on Puzzle Agent 2, but haven't progressed particularly far. The person who decided to make a puzzle based on coin values but described the coins using US coin nicknames and didn't include the values in the image needs to be slapped.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
Hahaha man you should totally visit there.  Getting asked for a Nickel and just sort of having to stare at the person is a great experience.

SLRPG - Okay, so started this.  Died to Terrapins.  Restarted this.  Got up to Bowser, he killed me with Big Bang like 5 times.  I gave up one round and used regular attacks instead of Jump.  Okay that makes him not counter with Big Bang.

So then I died after 2 fights with Goombas, packs of three and no idea how to do timed blocks.  Learned that and save state spammed my way through to Hammer Bros.  Much Save state abuse followed.  Beat them.

I still really am not comfortable with the timing on timed hits.  Your attacks are normally fine, they are as you are connecting or swinging most of the time, they feel pretty right.  The timed blocking though?  Ouch this just feels so completley disconnected and unresponsive it is not funny.  I take back all my jokes about Eph sucking at timing.

Thus starts someone playing SLRPG who has never played SMRPG before.  Expect many stupid statements and WTF faces.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 17, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
Hahaha man you should totally visit there.  Getting asked for a Nickel and just sort of having to stare at the person is a great experience.

SLRPG - Okay, so started this.  Died to Terrapins.  Restarted this.  Got up to Bowser, he killed me with Big Bang like 5 times.  I gave up one round and used regular attacks instead of Jump.  Okay that makes him not counter with Big Bang.

So then I died after 2 fights with Goombas, packs of three and no idea how to do timed blocks.  Learned that and save state spammed my way through to Hammer Bros.  Much Save state abuse followed.  Beat them.

I still really am not comfortable with the timing on timed hits.  Your attacks are normally fine, they are as you are connecting or swinging most of the time, they feel pretty right.  The timed blocking though?  Ouch this just feels so completley disconnected and unresponsive it is not funny.  I take back all my jokes about Eph sucking at timing.

Thus starts someone playing SLRPG who has never played SMRPG before.  Expect many stupid statements and WTF faces.

This is going to be glorious. I honestly kinda agree with the comments on timed blocking being a bitch, and that's coming from someone who actually is good enough at timing to reliably timed block most things even in SLRPG. But timed blocking is one of SMRPG's worst problems in terms of design - both in that it's important enough that taking it out removes a significant part of the system's paradigm and in that it's just bleh design at best. Kind of a catch 22 going there.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 18, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
Final Fantasy 4 The After Years:

ONCE I KILL CECIL, ROSA, YOU WILL BE MINE!!!!!

Hahahahahahahaahahaahaha. No way. He did not just say that.

FOLLOWED BY

"I've reserved a front row seat for you, Rosa.... Now watch as Cecil dies right before your eyes!"

That's a great way to get a girl to love you, you charmer you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:46:16 AM by Ciato »

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:44 AM »
Breath of Death VII: finished on Normal.  Teamwork and Regenerate+ helped make short work of the final.  Might go through again on Hard and fight this optional boss I've just read about.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1765 on: July 18, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »

FOLLOWED BY

"I've reserved a front row seat for you, Rosa.... Now watch as Cecil dies right before your eyes!"

I dunno, -I'd- certainly be attracted to someone who put Cecil out of my misery.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

FOLLOWED BY

I dunno, -I'd- certainly be attracted to someone who put Cecil out of my misery.

This is Rosa though, so it changes things dramatically.  Did you not forget just how her entire character is "LOVE ME CECIL!", despite how its very clear that he DOES love her?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1767 on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »
At least there's some science behind it.  If you kill someone and coat yourself in their blood, you will smell enough like her old mate to fool her in to having sex with you.  Six of my murders and four of my sexual encounters are attributed to this.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 18, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »
Lufia 2 Remake - This fight continues to be fucked enough that I am just going to spam Retry + until I win.  The game lost all respect I have for it now.  Edit - Okay so it only took one.  Guess I was just a touch below a HP threshhold that makes it far more manageable.  Dekar saying that his bikini is also kind of getting the game some respect.

SLRPG - This on the other hand is being far more balanced and fair than the above pile of bullshit.  I still don't know about timed blocks.  Croco was kind of ruining my shit with the Bomb, but once I knew to expect it then the fight was fine, just kept everyone above 15 health and it wasn't a problem.  Can you even block everything in the game?  If so the timing for some attacks is pretty fucked up.  Mack on the other hand I am pretty sure if I wasn't save state abusing could have been beaten second try (there was one point where Mallow got down to 4 HP and Mario got down to 1 that I think I save stated to not die).  Otherwise Mack is pretty easy honestly.  Shysters aren't rape face randoms.  None of the randoms this play session have been particularly bad (they aren't as rough as 3 packs of Goombas chained one after the other at level 1 without knowing how to block...).  Overall so far I have done a bit of grinding with Jump when I went to new areas to get a feel for the randoms mostly, but otherwise am still matching the suggested levels even.

So other than some sanity check shit that the original game fails, this hack is holding up pretty well for someone with no knowledge of the game.  I expect it to break down next play where if I am reading the walkthrough properly I will be fighting Bowyer soon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:19:16 PM by Grefter »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm highly interested to see how you manage the hack due to the timed blocking failures and not having played the original. How are you building your PCs so far?

Also, for your timed block question: only physicals can be time-blocked, and not even all of the physicals are blockable. Magic is unblockable by default. Also, once you reach Tadpole Pond, the storebought items and Frog Coin items may interest you. Items in SMRPG are hilariously overpowered, and SLRPG makes you actually -care- about it.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »
DW7 - So...it would appear that giant stick really IS strategy. Yue Ying's musou is fantastic for keeping a combo going on an officer. I'm honestly really impressed. Square string into C5(a launcher) -> air attack string(three hits followed by a knockdown, followed by diving down after the enemy and popping them back into the air a touch) -> musou(giant stick beat that hits in the air and launches them a bit higher) -> return to step 1. Repeat until either out of musou uses or you drop the combo. Staff is a much better weapon then I initially gave it credit for, which pleases me greatly.

On the other hand, while I *can* pull off the above combo...doing it reliably is another critter entirely. The camera is your worst enemy here.

Touhou Oddysey - Tai got this working on the laptop while he was out, so I restarted this finally. Had to stop playing a while ago since...it just stopped working on my desktop for unexplained reasons. Anyway, just beat Alice. She wasn't bad at all, only killed Cirno and Rumia, though she did really chew through my sp reserves. Patchy for fight MVP, the healing doll would not have been killable without Silent Selene.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 18, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »

To be fair to Dhyer, that queen has more revealing clothes than Seth, who pretty much dresses like a prostitute. This game is ridiculous.

I'm doing endgame sidequest stuff.
So what's new, skillset-wise? Immortals have 12 slots. (Three slots give access to every kind of magic, so even mages have a lot of slots to spare) There's:

- Resistance to every element
- HP+30/20/10%
- MP+20/+10%
- MP regen (With those last three on I can use the most powerful magic available every round without losing any MP)
- Atk +
- Def +
- MDef +
- Auto barrier
- Auto protect
- Auto Scan on every enemy
- Gold x 2 for everyone
- Skill points x2 for everyone
- More items after battle
- Ability to equip two accessories (What)
- +3 slots (WHAT)
- +5 slots (WHATTTT)

Mortals, who don't have access to any of this, pretty much have no purpose now. Maaaaaybe Jensen and Sed, but that's a stretch. I just have all of them defend in battle most of the time.

One of Kaïm's battle quotes was something like "Only the strong survive".
Yeah. This kind of "omg I'm badass lol" quote goes against everything Kaïm stands for, according to the dreams. That's what happens when you hire multiple writers and no one has any idea of what everyone else is doing.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 18, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
Uh oh I wouldn't say that to Seth's face Fenrir! ;) Better watch out for Sed too  :P

Jansen would be awesme in battle if it weren't for his ridiculous spell charge/casting times with Double Cast. Oh well I found him pretty useful earlier in the game~

I think for DLC there's an optional dungeon where it's possible to get accessories like "Reduce Casting Time 3" and "Instant/Turn 1" cast but I never got around to doing that. If I ever get round to setting up net access for my 360 I might >.>

Cooke is quite evasive and w/th Reduced Casting 1 + 2 she casts spells as fast as the immortal mages. This means Double Cast aside she is probably a better mage by the end than Jansen since she can just equip an accessory w/th Black Magic 7 giving her access to most black magic including some high level spells, meaning she is simply able to outpace Jansen with a wide variety of White and Black magic. I think~

(granted Jansen -does- hit quite hard with nukes and thanks to his unique 2 accessories ability would be able to equip more accessories than her for Spirit/Compo spells too which would give him quite a lot of variety as well especially with the ability to cast two spells at once ... toughy. Speed or power/variety!?~)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:02:04 PM by Clear Tranquil »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 18, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
Patchy for fight MVP

I found this to be pretty consistently the case until the good physical cannons showed up (hi Yuugi) since they have the added benefit of not dying to a sneeze.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 18, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »
I wouldn't either!
But seriously, Seth's clothes: http://images.wikia.com/lostodyssey/images/3/37/Seth-01.jpg
It's easy to forget them because Ming's clothes are a lot more ridiculous!
Even the shy guy of the team (Sarah) shows a lot of cleavage.

I already bought the DLC (It costs one buck instead of ten now) , I'll definitely mention what I find..... Wait, doublecast? *goes level Jansen up*
Jansen's alright right now because his damage is comparable to that of the uber girls. He just lacks any MP regen, and his durability is a lot worse, (which matters against bosses but not against random battles) He definitely was MVP of the earlygame