Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267458 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #1875 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
Wait, Hunter, you really thought Nyarlie is the big bad??
I thought they made it pretty obvious from beginning that Ishtar is the real big bad, with Ms. Venus and all that.

And I suggest run a few more cycle for good endings, if just to find out what had turn out for the waitress.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 29, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Wait, Hunter, you really thought Nyarlie is the big bad??
I thought they made it pretty obvious from beginning that Ishtar is the real big bad, with Ms. Venus and all that.

And I suggest run a few more cycle for good endings, if just to find out what had turn out for the waitress.

Oh they make that quite clear later on. They don't even really mention any of the mythologies before the end, and given Persona's penchant for using him, coupled with Boss' own wording during the scene, led me to believe that to be a possibility. The whole Babylonian thing was made clear though, as I said. Just disappointing, as Lovecraft is always fun and totally fits here. I can totally see the whole Ishtar/Venus thing now though, it's not readily apparant up to there though. I'll probably play again for the True Freedom ending.

EDIT: Trisha. Ishtar. I got it now. Ahahaa
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:09:09 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 29, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »
Makes sense you feel that way about the Boss. But I think they utliamtely trying to aim for a more comedy feel in the end, especially you are down the Katherine route. So the Nyarlie probably won't fit the direction they are heading for. But then, he does make perfect sense if you are in the Catherine good end.

And I wonder you catch this or not: Ishtar/Ms. Venus is also the person inside the confession chamber.2

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 29, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
And I wonder you catch this or not: Ishtar/Ms. Venus is also the person inside the confession chamber.2

The game explicitly said that was Astaroth

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 30, 2011, 02:22:26 AM »
Dive Kick: Dodge or Block.  I think Blocking staggers you, but he doesn't follow it up, and you can recover out of it fast enough; if you're in air, it tends to put him at a disadvantageous scenario for anyone with good camping (Hi Bartz!)

It's a guard crush now.  I haven't tried Precise Block much but I would guess it would leave you both staggered.

Mostly running around 000.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 30, 2011, 04:23:04 AM »
Started up another game of Catherine on Normal. Past Stage 3, got two Golds and a Silver before turning back to Easy. Just not feeling it for effort, really. Aside from the first question that is always the same, I ended up picking all Order choices, so I'm gonna try and max out the meter for Order to go for True Lover, Normal Freedom and any other ending I can get with it.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:50 PM »
MvC3 - Cleared Arcade mode with Morrigan, X-23, Hsien Ko, She Hulk, Ammy, Tron, and Chris so far. Also been using Deadpool and Chun Li but haven't got their endings yet. Ammy and Deadpool have been a blast to play as so far, managed to pull off some combos with them and Hsien Ko/Tron are fun too especially with swing/Gustaff Fire. Also kind of fond of Shulky~

Final Fantasy 5 Advance- Thanks to Nitori, Sage and Random who helped set me up with this. Started and am doing the Four Job Fiesta. I was granted Black Mage for my first job. Game was relatively uneventful up until the Water Crystal boss with the Black Mages burning, freezing and shocking everything left, right and center before hand but Garula was a real road block for my L10 team. Was it legit to smash an Frost Rod over it's head? I eventually lost patience and did so after row changing and Potion w/th Fire spam failed to work for numerous reattempts (well first I left the dungeon and went back to towns to explore a bit finding the Frost Rod in the process so some characters were L11 and not L10 when I got back to Garula =/) The Water Crystal job unlocked from the FJF is Summoner :)

(I also have a back up save in case it wasn't legit to break the Frost Rod in which case I'll redo the Garula fight and hope to get lucky with a Blizzaga casting on Attack or something >.>)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:23:24 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 30, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »
TAY: Just beat up Rubicant. That goddamn cursed ring I got randomly in one of the early chapters has been a lifesaver against bosses. Rubi got owned so hard by fire absorbs in that Edge duel, to the point where I just turned on autobattle and waited for the fight to end.

The fire scarf's an awesome armor too.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 30, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »
Realm of the Mad God - Fun free game. reminds of old NES games with it's graphics, but online and free and evil like Diablo. You die, you start over at level one.

League of Legends - Just got Goku...er I mean the Monkey King!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 30, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
Etrian Odyssey - Got up to Fenrir, then was over extended when I tried to lure it forward away from the other wolf things up the back and died horribly.  I think I need another level or so and a chance to rethink some strategy.  Overextension there taught me some good lessons anyway.  Level 13 is probably to low for it.  Fenrir went first and one shot my fighter (fuck trying to remember the exact spell of Landshneckt at 3:30 in the morning).  70HP taking 93 damage physical is ouch.  Was manageable after Guardian and Immunize were up, but yeah I think another level or two will go far.  Maybe doing some gathering on this level will help also.

I have straight up no fucking clue how people do this game without killing FOEs early with Poison and stacking two flavours of defense buffs on threatening stuff.  There is randoms that are still fully capable of one shotting my Bubsnickt  that aren't even FOEs (Warbulls), so yeah.

Also not the kind of game I have the patience to map things out myself, but it is a pretty cool idea and I have some fun copying down the maps at the start of each level.  It is fun like tracing things was back in high school art kind of.  Gives you a feeling for the level up front which is always nice.

All of this does suggest that Trancey is absolutely insane.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 31, 2011, 01:56:01 AM »
FF4TAY - Finished. The second half is awesome, can't even mock. I will post more later, but I am done~

Why is this game good... I just played it to mock it. WAHHH!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:01:08 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:46 AM »
Catherine: Dunno why I avoided the forums. Not like there was any real danger of my getting spoiled here.

Anyhow. Beat tonight. Got the True Lover ending.

Could largely mirror Sopko's statements, with a little more statement of satisfaction and less about frustration of the puzzles. I don't think the lack of substance was as bad (although could definitely have been fixed) and that the game did push itself forward well enough. Probably the biggest change I would have made is built a little more onto the conversation chains/required a bit of Persona-esque walking/social link talking (not exactly, just taking some queues from it) to build more into the days.

My other, biggest, gripe is that they flubbed some on the portrayal of the Vincent/Katherine relationship. Where it started made sense, but it should have opened up a little more.

Honestly, and I always hate to say this, the game would probably have benefit from being just a little longer in every spot but the gameplay. A little more time on the characters and conflict was all it really needed.

I'll do something a little more in-depth.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 31, 2011, 08:23:34 AM »
FF4TAY – Final thoughts ~

So this game is a thing. Let’s tackle the game in two parts; before and after the moon.

The game is pretty uneven in plot writing and gameplay alike before the moon. It definitely has its moments (Ceodore is a generically likeable main character, I like the father-daughter stuff between Ursula and Yang, and Palom and Porom have both been written into interesting enough characters, and Luca is cute.) I’m not exactly praising the plot here or anything but I definitely think the game has some good plot ideas even if they aren’t very well executed. Because of the overarching ensemble cast, the characters don’t get much time to be developed.

Now for the recurring characters (twins don’t count). You definitely get the impression fairly quickly that Cecil and Rosa at the very least seem to have moved on with their lives and are convincingly parent-like; Edge’s personality paints him as a younger man than he is but you can chalk that up to him being a life-long moron, I guess. Rydia has no personality at all again! Yang plays a very different role as well, it’s not bad.

The two glaring problems in the cast are Kain and Edward. I ranted about this extensively during my initial posts, but I am going to emphasize how grossly out of place these two feel in a game that was written to be 17 years after the original. Both of these dudes have issues that should have been resolved years earlier and while they would fit in a sequel that was immediately after the game, they don’t here. So you have Edward blathering about his girlfriend who died 17 years ago which is completely inappropriate considering how long he knew her compared to how long she’s been dead. I remember I had a friend in university whose fiancé died in a car accident. For about a year she went through a terrible time, but eventually she got a new boyfriend and moved on with her life. Not that she totally forgot him or anything but it wasn’t something she dwelled on. Edward basically seems totally unable to move on with his life over what amounted to a teenage fling. He is embarrassingly neglectful of his duties as a leader and basically seems to sit around with his thumb in his ass instead of being a leader.

Kain is pretty terrible because he also can’t get over his teenage love interest. He separates into two and his evil side does evil stuff!!!!!! It is really lame. Turban!Kain is just this ultra-mysterious douche (omg “I don’t have a name… I left that behind years ago.” Loooool) and is a bit of a Mary Sue. They fuse and he becomes a HOLY DRAGOON oh yeah. Bleeehhhhh. The fact is that he has been spending the last 17 years wandering and being all :( because some girl banged his best friend instead of him. Get the fuck over it man, you are like 37.  The game also likes to drool over Cecil (and Yang to a lesser extent) a bit too much for my taste, but I guess he is a world savior or something?

For gameplay, you can definitely see the imprint of a good battle system but you only get glimpses of it. Too much solo stuff and overpowered characters and Edward’s chapter which you mash attack a lot in. Edward’s chapter is again terrible because EDWARD HAS A SPECIAL ABILITY BUT LOL HE CAN’T USE IT BECAUSE YOU DON’T HAVE POTIONS. Siiiigh. Dark Kain stuff is just terribad because it is easy and solo and stupid. Rydia is probably my favorite gameplay-wise, there’s a couple of really neat bosses. 

My favorite quest is probably Palom’s because the Dark Elf is kinda fun to fight and Palom himself is a hilarious ball of bitchiness and acting like a bratty prodigy.

Porom’s is okay but once you go to the present it does lose steam because of Mt. Ordeals crap and DARK KAIN.

Edge’s is interesting, you get to choose scenarios ~ Playing as the ninjas is pretty fun and then them all meeting up again is fun. I liked the Tower of Babil. Edge himself is very silly and I enjoy that.

Rydia’s is all gameplay~ Good gameplay too.

Ceodore/Kain’s is okay as long as it’s not being really easy and you don’t have to play as Dark Kain or have Kain plot.

Yang’s has URSULA! And shows off that speed actually works in TAY~

Lunarian chapter is just really hard. It has a lot of competent randoms and some good bosses. Golbez/Fu are good PCs but bad shit’s going down, so it’s hard as fuck.

The second-to-last chapter has Edge, who spends most of it dead, Luca, Golbez, and Rydia. The plot is pretty minimal but you kill Summons and shit. Ramuh totally ruined my shit and it was very sad. I was possibly underlevelled, I didn’t do any side stuff which is why Edge was not very good apparently (he looks very good if you collect items specifically for him, lazy). Stuff happened, we fought Odin, Cecil was awakened, he turned into a zombie, we flew to the moon.

So overall, this game has pretty campy plot with glimmers of goodness scattered in and gameplay with potential but not much execution due to unfortunate party choices. The game has an amazing auto-battle feature which doubles the speed of everything including summons and is just generally very solid at helping you wipe out things quickly. Speed works and you are allowed to switch between characters and charge times both exist and are shown on the ATB gauge. So basically the game is ATB in its most evolved form if it is utilized properly. Unfortunately it hasn’t really been tapping into said potential. I think the game gets a fairly mediocre score if it judged based on this point.

So we get to the moon and we have full character choice, which is pretty amazing. There is a pool of about 12 PCs or so that I consider quite worth using; Ceodore, Ursula, Porom, Palom, Rydia, Rosa, Kain, Edge, Yang, Luca, Gekkou, Izayoi, Golbez at the very least, I could maybe be argued a couple of others? Cecil is fine once he becomes unzombie and isn't too underlevelled (or wasn't for me), I ended the dungeon at like 43-45?. I decided on Ceodore/Ursula/twins/Rydia because of sheer fangirlism and Rydia because she’s an awesome Summoner babe.

I actually have very little to say about the final dungeons; there is about 10 minutes of plot for about 18 hours of gameplay and most of the scenes are certainly solid enough for what they are, which is FF4 fanfiction and teenage romance. Okay, that wasn’t very flattering but they are fine. The great thing about the final dungeons is the huge like xobox amount of bosses to use the shinies you slowly collect along the way. You can switch characters and stock up on stuff every few floors, which is where I drew the DDS2 comparisons. Just… you actually care about being able to switch because a lot of the PCs are unique compared to one another.

I’d say approximately half of the bosses are competent; there are 11 in the penultimate dungeon and 18? required bosses in the final dungeon. I like the game because it definitely feels like different characters are MVP and LVP throughout the dungeon. Ursula gets stupid good once you get Minerva and Godhand just because she is so goddamn fast, mages are always solid but Rydia gets passed once I got Dualcast, white mage is always useful, and Ceodore played an important role in surviving boss fights while being able to Haste himself and heal himself effectively. I generally thought Ceodore and Ursula were better as time went on, whereas the mages devalued a bit, especially Rydia because the final dungeon didn’t emphasize multiperson randoms as much as the second-to-last dungeon did. I ended up smashing all of the optional bosses; Omega was probably the hardest overall, but Ceodore with white mage setup (robe/staff for max healing) won the day. Ceodore was MVP against all the optional bosses as well as the final boss for his variety and HP and higher defenses than Ursula. I definitely like that Ceodore is genuinely a mix of Rosa and Cecil instead of mostly just Cecil redux.

One really great thing about the final dungeon is how the old school bosses (it has four bosses from FF1-6 minus 4 in the final dungeon) are pretty true to their original forms (but tweeked to fit a different battle system, Twinheaded Dragon does things besides physical to not be totally spoiled by Blink, etc.). For example, Omega walks around and has Surge Beam, the counter confuse, Thermal Ray (Atomic Ray is the name in this game). Except they gave him a death counter. Fuck you, TAY! Doomgaze runs away like a bitch, and Shinryu hangs out in a box. Overall, of the cameo bosses, Ultros, King Behemoth, Iron Giant and Kraken were probably the best. Lich and Ghost Train were kind of bad.

The superbosses were all entertaining. They were very hard but fair. Shinryu is a very funny case in that if you can survive the first two tidal waves he is easier than Omega but the key is that survival. Ultima Weapon is solid because it gives you Ultima Weapon, which is awesome and makes Ceodore better than Ursula probably~ Rydia was dead for most of those fights since I had Dualcast which makes Palom better. Sadly it is very late (have to beat Doomgaze) but the fights he has it he rapes so much. Also, so much death countering in this game. So rude.

Final boss was not a bad boss, but slapping Slow on him makes him a bit wussier than some of the others.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that this game, in its second half and on the PSP is:

-Aesthetically pleasing – I like the character art and sprites a lot, especially the twins and Ursula
-Gameplay is very solid, an evolved form of ATB which utilizes its strengths: has charge times on the atb bar, has speed that works, and allows for character switching (which most of the series does to be fair)
-Character balance is pretty good (at least to a certain point, there are some pretty horrid PCs like Harley) and you have a wide variety of characters to choose from in the final dungeon and have freedom to play with a range of teams 
-There is new music finally!! YAY!!
-Has varied, fun boss design and tons of bosses to use your broken equipment on, which is pretty cool compared to a lot of games which don’t let you play with your tons quite enough
-The series fanservice bosses are cool if a little random.
-The plot barely exists. There are a couple of worthwhile scenes (I kinda like Ceodore/Kain even if I can’t help but giggle due to bad fanfiction writing, and the Leonora/Luca rivalry over Palom scene is very cute)
-So I guess what I’m saying is that the second half of the game is like DDS2’s second half but with a better battle system and more character choice.

I think the game also does a pretty good job of making the game not about Cecil, which I was afraid it would. Having him possessed/zombied makes it easy to justify him not playing as major of a role as he could have, and I think this is a good thing for the game. Cecil is actually not very important to the plot at all. Also I think he’s the worst of the five old final dungeon PCs, which I think is amusing.

So overall, the game is much better than I was expecting once you hack through the campy and at times insufferable FF4 fanservice.

First half gets a 4/10 or so, second half gets a 9/10 or so. This balances to around a 7, because second half is more important. I wouldn’t recommend the game to those who don’t like long dungeons, because the dungeons are very long. But I think if you can endure a few hours of FF4 fanservice and questionable design decisions you will find a very pleasant gameplay game, so I’d recommend it to anyone who likes ATB or FF4 or DDS2’s final two dungeons.

That was rather long! But at least I am not Meeple.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:28:16 AM by Ciato »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 31, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »
Also Kain is no longer a in the lightweight division!

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 31, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
Grandia ReDux: So somebody made a KAIZO Grandia hack. Yes, take probably the easiest RPG ever and make it difficult! Sounds retarded but amazingly Grandia's gameplay isn't as outdated as most PSone RPGs.  There's some questionable decisions in the hack: huge SP costs, reduced damage in all of Justin's skills, unuseable level 3 magic due to increased costs and chances of being RNG raped (29 lvl 3 MP for Feena at 30 levels of each type of magic? wtf).  PC remain mostly the same stat-wise, exceptions are a huge HP buff to Rapp (as in 100 more HP), and Guido with awesome stats! Aiel approved hack.

Of course bosses are the highlight of the hack. Wiped to Mio 3 times due to RANDOM STATUS on her normal attack.  Treant (first boss disc 2) is completely insane with super fast sleep attacks and overkill OHKO damage. Lord's Ghost has 100 damage staff whacks followed by DragonZap (aka you die), I had to rely on Milda OHKO the staff after an attack boost, def-down on the boss, and counter all on the first turn.  As a silly easter egg from Grandia 3, you can fight random Desert Lords with 7k HP (can come in groups of 4) with 400 damage physicals and unbreakable physical defense!  Early versions of the hack you can just Dethsword them but even with 145 SP cost it was deemed too broken and was removed in a revised patch.

Also replaying the game made me realized that Feena is more retarded than Justin. Once an independant adventurer turns into a clingy whiny bitch.  It's unbearable.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: July 31, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
Blazblue: For some reason, I seem to be stuck in a rut.  I am getting slightly better about predicting jump-ins (I beat one Hakumen entirely on the idea of being patient, waiting for him to jump, and then nailing him with 6D), but I still have a long way to go before I can consider myself tournament-viable.

Frequency and Amplitude: I haven't actually played these yet, still looking for my extra memory card, but I am psyched.  I do remember playing the hell out of the demo for Amplitude, and they were only $3 each at Gamestop, so...  Score!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 31, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »
Also Kain is no longer a in the lightweight division!

Yeah, the game lost 1/8th of a point for that.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: July 31, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
* Clear Tranquil waves @ Ciato ^_^

That was a great post, I enjoyed reading it all! >=) I didn't know there were cameo bosses! I want to fight those. Dualcast, Summoner Babe funs, lots of different PCs with lots of shinies to use vs lots of different bosses looks awesme to me. I also approve of auto battle and speed for fast forwarding fights if I want. It probably means the very long dungeons aren't quite so painful random encounter wise because you can get them over with as quickly as possible if you want. Also being able to switch in and out different PCs to try different stats/abilities/equipment/tactics or strategy is good for keeping it fresh and not boring >=-)

I am glad that you like Ursula and the twins best, also that they turned out to be quite awesme PCs too! I am sad Rydia still doesn't have a personality but at least yaay she is still an awesme Summoner Babe!?~ I am also glad that Cecil and Rosa aren't too bad character wise this time. This means the game probably isn't torture. I am seriously thinking about getting it now! Thanks :)

FF5a- I decided to refight Garula because I wanted to keep my Frost Rod. Turns out turtling the fight works for that battle too. The reason it didn't before is because I was just spamming Potions and had forgotten about the Defend command >.> After the Wind Crystal I started using my shiny new Summoner job with my characters but first I needed some Summons to use so I bought Chocobo, Sylph and Remora. I think Remora was a trap though. It doesn't seem to do anything. Then thanks to the advices of various peoples I was able to go exploring some and pick up some very nice shinies before Karnak/Fire Ship. First was Tycoon Castle where there were shiny Elixirs and a Healing Staff. None of my characters could use it though. There was also FF5!plot, well still it was a sort of cute scene between sisters. Next up was Walse and a fight with Shiva. She was a hard fight to begin with because my characters were all only L11 still and she wiped me out a few times until I had fine tuned my strategy some. At first my team was three Black Mages and a Summoner, then I tried two of each and finally I ended up with one Black Mage and three Summoners. This worked! Black Mage hit weaknesses to do the damage with fire spells while triple Sylphs from Summoners combined to keep everyone's health topped up while doing bonus damage as back up support =-) Constant Slyph spam from three sources prevented Shiva from managing to take control of the fight. One character did fall once but once I'd taken out her remaining soliders I was able to use a Phoenix Down and heal everyone up from there.  As a reward Shiva was obtained after the fight and this was to prove very useful to have available in the future.

Finally I went to Karnak. There was plot stuffs. Stocked up on supplies after and then entered the Fire Ship and went to town. At first I was having great fun spamming Shiva for massive overkill damage on entire groups of enemies at a time but after getting a bit into the ship and finding some treasure chest shinies I became lost and couldn't figure out where to go next to proceed. Since the random encounter rate was high and I was spam happy this eventually meant I ran out of MP and Ethers/Elixirs to restore it with >.> I was tired by this stage and due to tiredness and frustration I ended up getting wiped out when I wasn't paying attention. I waited until the next day before trying again. Next time through I bought some Mythril Knives from Karnak before heading back into the ship so my mages would have some form of non Chocobo spam offense for the enemy type that immunes elements in there. I also bought some new armours and hats, selling old stuffs as needed to get the money required. Stocked up on as much Potions as I could too and an extra Phoenix Down. Back to the ship where I ended up getting lost again <.< I was alot more conservative my resources this time though and I eventually blundered into the room with the save point in it. Thankfully saved and used a Tent/Cottage to fully restore everyone. Next room was also kind of confusing to me and it took a while to realise there was a second platform that my character was able to step onto to and push the levers from. As a result there was lots of fighting and resource drain here too. I was all out of Potions/Hi-Potions, Ether and Elixirs by the time I figured out how to proceed but hey at least there was an Elixir in the treasure chest in the room. Went back to use the save point anyway and then proceeded forward again. The Fire Ship boss also took a few attempts. Doing heavy damage to it wasn't an issue, characters staying alive long enough to do it was. On the winning attempt Lenna was able to get the breathing space needed to get in the final Shiva required to end the fight though. Solo Lenna for the win, everyone else was ded. I was advised in chat that there would be a healing pot in the next area so not to worry about it though. A friend had clued me in the other day that there was an Elven Mantle in Karnak Castle too. I decided to do my best and try and grab all the treasures while escaping from the castle. I nearly managed to get away with this too. I did indeed manage to grab all the treasures, Shiva was so so useful for clearing random battles asap and for the monsters in a box! too. However I got a bit lost while looking for the Elven Mantle and had to back track some. Once I'd obtained it I rushed to exit the castle with only seconds to spare but as I made it outside with only a few seconds to left I ran into a scripted forced encounter which I thought was just another soldier at first but which turned out to be an Iron Claw in disguise! I wasn't prepared for this sub/mini/pseudo boss fight and as a result my reactions weren't as fast as they could have been. So by the time I summoned Shiva my escape time had emptied to 0.00. I nuked the boss with my summon and then the game nuked me and everything exploded~

I was able to grab all of the treasures and beat all the enemies including the scripted fight with time to spare during the next attempt at escaping Karnak castle though. Since during the rerun I knew exactly where to go for everything and Shiva made all the fights a joke so yeah. I came out with two and a half minutes left on the clock with lots of shinies as a reward =-) Also upon checking the menu when I was back in town I discovered I had suddenly amassed over 30'000 GIL so I bought even more shinies at the stores. My Fire Crystal Job is to be the Ranger. I'm still using Black Mage/Summoner/Summoner/Summoner for now though since I don't have access to the crystal shard for Ranger yet.

Edit: I have now been to Crescent Island and the Black Chocobo Forest. Picked up the remaining Fire Crystal Shards so now my team is currently Ranger (Bartz) Black Mage (Lenna) Summoner (Galuf) and Black Mage (Faris) I also had a Fire Ship but now I have a Black Chocobo to fly around on~ Is it possible to get back to Walse and try and grab the basement treasures there at this stage? About the jobs it is ok to switch all three characters between all the jobs I have been allocated by the Job Festa to master Job levels for secondary abilities for everyone to work with right? As long as I have at least one type of each job for fightd at all times it doesn't matter who is currently what I think~
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:34:58 AM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: August 01, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
TAY: Just beat Omega. Knowing about his weakness to thunder physicals would have really fucking helped! Oh well. I beat him down with Meteor and Fuma spam.

FF13: Finally found this disk. I'm up to the start of C4.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: August 01, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
ToTA: Just beat Van for the first time, Tales plot, you so silly.  I continue to fail at combos, with the highest one being 58 after I got stupid lucky just mashing attack chains and everyone else managed to sync up just right somehow.  I must say, the whole "ALL OUR ENEMIES FELL INTO BOTTOMLESS PITS, CLEARLY THEY MUST BE DEAD" logic got a good laugh out of me.  It's a fun Tales game with lol for plot, not much more I can really say.

League of Legends, so as much as I hate to admit this, I've had TWO Coop vs ai games this week in which the entire rest of the team failed so hard that they were negative vs bots, then ragequiting soon after and causing a lossed game, too which all I have to say is my faith in humanity has just been lost...again.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
What's yer LOL name Glen?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: August 01, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
Glen: I have games like that with somewhat disturbing frequency. I mean, I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination yet, but I can usually handle my own. But it typically starts with a super bad player having issues and ragequitting, then the 4 vs 5 just sort of snowballs.

Weirdly, this week seemed to go better than most though, with some absolutely killer Veiger's and the like. Sad that Leona will be rotating off though, as I was really digging her.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: August 01, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »
Scar: Same as my forum name here without the space.

Andy, yeah, she's a fun hero, but not quite up to par when you vs players since her ult is a bit too easy to sidestep unfortunately :-(.  Personally been playing alot of Ori/Rumble lately, both are tons of fun, but I'm pretty bad at the former, which is pretty understandable since she's one of he harder heroes to play I think >.>.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: August 01, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »
OH, guess I should add the perspective for the bot games, I typically only play them for my FWotD, my record for bot games was something like 90 wins 0 losses before this week <.<.  I'm used to people not being great by any means, but these players...were special, you would think if someone dies by diving a bot at their tower they would think twice about doing it 4 more times....nope.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: August 01, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
Glen: The tanky CDR build seems to mitigate that somewhat, but I'd actually have to play vs people to test the build I was suggested. You mainly focus on being an assist tank to murder people in your lane. Then typically engage with W -> E -> Q -> R. It is pretty cool. <_<

But yeah, I  can understand that. I'm not great, but I tend to learn pretty quick. I'm even down to 1-3 deaths a game, typically, and this includes some aggressive/risky play. Hell, spent most of last night as Leona at like, 25% health harassing bots >_>

Then I overreached vs a Trundle and met the other 3 bots. ;_;