Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267346 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2325 on: September 26, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
If I could summon meatshields to do all my fighting in an RPG, I would too.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 26, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
Yuna has minions. Yus~

Whew huge ass FFX debate. Don't really have time to get in to it for now because I am playing Radiant Historia and NEB/Sage/Meeple have been covering responses very well for the most part (I especially agree with NEB/Meeple's comments on Yuna~)

Pay attention to the respect the Rhonso have for Yuna too Yoshi when you get to that point (Meeple already provided Lulu's words as a quote for referencing Yuna's strength/inner strength, there will be another example with this later) :)

Briefly I will cover this one thing though. Umm ... doesn't Yuna also let Rikku join them because she knows/suspect Rikku is her (SPOILERS!? *cousin*? (SPOILERS!?) Sure a willingness to accept people (why is this necessarily a bad thing?) and/or trust/whatever in Tidus might have been part of it but Yuna is not dumb (she does usually have her reasons for going along with things or not as others have noted) I'm sure she had her own personal reasons/thoughts/feelings being a part of it too (in her decision there) such as she suspected/knew who Rikku was (I don't remember the scene/whether or not it was explicitly stated who Rikku was then but yeah):) (thus she would have her own family related stuff to draw from there) Remember there was some downtime where Yuna was with the Al Bhed in Luca too. For all we know Yuna was filled in on some stuffs by them there~

(that's the way I've always went with taking it at least~)

Radiant Historia - Prologue done. Saved after getting the ability to go to Historia/use the White Chronicle. Also I has teh Mana Crystals~ I have been enjoying the game up until this stage. It feels like a lot has happened in such a short space of time (or it might just be the fast pace of it) but I am not that lost yet. Except for not remembering the name of Stocke's boss exactly/properly >.> I have to make the decision whether to continue to work for him or to go with Rosch. I'm thinking Rosch. It doesn't exactly bode well for the other guy when I can't even remember his name properly >_> Besides from what I do remember he seemed kind of suspicious/a suspicious chappy! Playing the game blind and primarily for the story as I noted I might do earlier so yeah it'll be interesting to see how that goes/where it takes me :)

I really like Stocke so far! Though I had to officially say Stocke is not NEB/NEB is not Stocke before I sat down and started the game for real! :P Liking him though yeah. Raynie and Marco I don't have much of an opinion on yet though I think I currently like Marco slightly better. Carrying around stuffs in case people need help/healed seems like a CT/CT bait thing to do! :)

Also I have to go back and see if I can get the shinies I missed getting earlier due to the game tormenting/trolling me by not letting me have then them (gave Stocke the Charm I did find and bought two more for Raynie/Marco after equipping Stocke with the armour I found at the inn and selling his default one)~

Edit: Oh yes - I unfortunately (fortunately?) don't have Grandia 3. I remember being all excited for it pre/early release because the battle system looked interesting (also from the reports the DL gave on it) but then the UK/EU thing happened again and I ended up forgetting about it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:06:29 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
Catherine: Yesterday's attempt proceeded thusly:

-Encounter giant demon baby.
-Die a lot.
-Mute TV because oh my god, no more.
-Die a lot more.
-Restart game on Easy and overwrite previous save with extreme prejudice.

Really, Atlus, what.

I should note that I really dig the musical selection here, incidentally. Beethoven! Mussorgsky! Holst! All pretty great choices so far.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2328 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »
If I could summon meatshields to do all my fighting in an RPG, I would too.

Well, it's very different from every other summon portrayal in games.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
It feels a bit truer to what a "summon" would do, instead of being mechanically identical to a black magic spell. I'd argue the only reason it took the series so many games to implement it was due to the limitations of technology initially, coupled with inertia by the PSX era.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »
FF8 certainly felt like it was what they wanted to do but couldn't really float under the limitations of the technology.

Summons technically take hits for you and are essentially the entire focus of the gameplay system...but in ways that feel...I don't know, like "Well, that didn't work. Let's try so and so." ideas. It's hard to imagine the GF implementation was the first idea the coders of FF8 had, as opposed to something that evolved.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 27, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
Infinite Undiscovery: WOW, Ethereal Queen is cheap. And sacrificial dolls are useless. Since dodging is out of the question and I only have one character (yes, I'm still doing the challenge) the only solution seems to be numbers going up. Numbers going up is good.
I already have enough ingredients for 100 000 Hps and can get some more dragon fangs if necessary.

Everything else in the SG is now easy (except crossbows) and I think I have every item needed for compulsive. This took far more farming than necessary, but gave me a shiny lvl 207.

Gabriel Celeste and Ethereal Queen are really cruel jokes on the main character in this game, for spoilerific reasons.
What a random jerk move. Wow.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2332 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08:56 AM »
FF8 certainly felt like it was what they wanted to do but couldn't really float under the limitations of the technology.

Summons technically take hits for you and are essentially the entire focus of the gameplay system...but in ways that feel...I don't know, like "Well, that didn't work. Let's try so and so." ideas. It's hard to imagine the GF implementation was the first idea the coders of FF8 had, as opposed to something that evolved.

I don't know, I think it's hard to imagine that a lot of FF8 was anything but the very first idea someone had, because (as was the case with deliberately marginalizing most of the cast) anyone who looked at it objectively would say it was a bad idea.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 27, 2011, 04:26:48 AM »
Infinite Undiscovery: WOW, Ethereal Queen is cheap. And sacrificial dolls are useless. Since dodging is out of the question and I only have one character (yes, I'm still doing the challenge) the only solution seems to be numbers going up. Numbers going up is good.
I already have enough ingredients for 100 000 Hps and can get some more dragon fangs if necessary.

Surprise to hear that. I.Queen's physicals isn't that hard to dodge. Southern Cross and Accused both have start ups, and Angel Lawcite is pretty slow.
Unless you don't have status immunity against lock status and got tied don by Accused's start up. I really don't see I.Queen's physical to be very intimidating.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 27, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »
Tales of Xillia: POLISH IN MY TALES WHAT IS THIS.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 27, 2011, 05:32:15 AM »
Penultimate Fan/Exc/Ber/Emu XF update~

4-7-A (Charlton 1): Not a terribly hard fight. Charlton can be rocked pretty badly by Feeble Mind, and even before then he'll waste some turns on Fragile instead of the far more dangerous Dark Destruction. You do have to rout the fight at least, and John Does are powerful enough to be annoying, but nothing too bad.

4-7-B (Royal Knights 2): As with last week, sleep and gravity leads to lulz. Get used to this.

4-8-A (Chelle finale): Stealth Stalkers again, Detect again. They're more durable, they get instant death off, I petrify them back so fair is fair. Chelle... What would I do here without sleep? Probably just die. Debuffs are one turn on her. She still manages to kill a couple people since I had no way to really null her out (it's possible to box the team against Predator Barrage but that slows down the approach to deal with the obnoxious status whore Forsaken Mutants and her normals still hurt enough. But yeah, sleep her, nuke them, take things apart from there.

4-8-B (Piedras Blancas): Slow Piedras, surround him and action replay gravity spam! Heal when needed, his offence ain't too special. Kill the mutants as they approach before they get in range to be eaten, using either weakness-hitting spells or Petrify.

4-9-A (Tormenta Triad 3) [4 resets]: Um, ow. This fight's hard, man. The tormenta triad have a crippling status weakness which wrecks their devious teamwork strategy... unfortunately it's Rob Turn, so I don't have it. This is like their first fight except the strategy I employed there (MP-bust Trueno) doesn't work so well because he has MP Regen. I try once but it's a pointless waste of turns and get mostly wiped out by random spells from the plentiful, unkillable support in the meantime.

So I decide that I'll just go for the kill on Lluvia (who has low res) to stop the doom strategy. 3 more resets making this work. First time I get overwhelmed pretty badly. Next two I'm able to drop Lluvia, but still get wiped out thereafter. MAG-boosted spells from the brothers do high 2HKO damage, OHKO anyone after revival. As soon as I'm down to three PCs even infinite items (which I don't really have anyway) I can't heal as fast as two brothers and six clones can kill me, and though some of them start out of range on turn 1 they close pretty quickly.

Slow Down on Lluvia, then beat on him with CAs. I try to heal somewhat but it's a tight balance between maintaining offence. I take out Trueno second with Valiant-enhanced damage as they bring down Alexia, which proves very helpful. Once two are down the battle is basically in hand, though the final toll is 9 Revive Fruits (over half of what I have), a bunch of Potion Berries, and all but two PCs dead. Yikes.

4-9-B (Tormenta Triad finale) [1 reset]: Much easier. Still not easy! Anyway, giving too many turns to the brothers after one is dead = bad. Giving even one turn to the final brother = bad. After a slight error costs me one reset, I try again, poisoning Viento and intending to leave him to last so he'll die of poison even if things go awry. It proves an unnecessary precaution, as the turns fall out such that I take him out anyway. Otherwise, the usual strategy of "get them all as low HP as possible before killing any" works well enough, CAs to chew into them and chippy spells to finish.

4-10-A (Katrina 2): As the previous battle mostly. This battle kinda bores me outside the end which isn't that bad. Katrina does shockingly high damage off shockingly high speed but Slow Down and 50% sleep keep that under control, and 5HKO Feeble Mind means she doesn't take long to die anyway.

4-10-B (Clysmian 1): It's vulnerable to physicals or something. I mostly use gravity anyway, same idea as Piedras. The support, in both this battle and the previous, is a bit too easy to pick off with Emulator nonsense (petrify and weaknesses, both work although their healing can mess with the damage some).

4-11-A (Charlton 2): Ah, much less bad with six PCs, so I can actually surround him to stop the summon strategy. Still nasty to get under control. CAs help since they trigger fewer counters, before finally getting him trapped. Slow Down, etc., the usual works here although he has no real weaknesses to exploit.

4-11-B (puzzle): Is a puzzle. I meant to check if gems could activate the switches but forgot, oh well.

4-11-C (Charlton finale) [2 resets]: This reset count probably shouldn't be taken too seriously because I know exactly how to win this without them but chose to give the "fair" fight a try anyway. It didn't really feel especially doable, with no way to kill the John Does (Sacred Slayer, Sentinel, Extremist), no way to effectively cure disease and heal faster than once per round per PC (Gadgeteer, Enigmancer), and no ability to get in range of Charlton super-quickly (High Cavalier, maybe Grappler and/or Nightstalker?), this just isn't doable. I get diseased/killed and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Of course since Black Corrosion's range is 20 instead of, say, 30, the coward's route brings victory.

And that does it for C4.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:18:12 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:06 AM »
Tales of Xillia: POLISH IN MY TALES WHAT IS THIS.

And stupidly user friendly too!
Who are you maining? I assume Mira?

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 27, 2011, 06:30:04 AM »
Yeah, I picked Milla.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: September 27, 2011, 06:49:53 AM »
Yeah, I picked Milla.

Then please be forgiving to Alvin. It is easy to believe him to be a total ass in her route.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Niu:
I tried again, but her using Seraphic Law in the middle of a Grinn Valesti = Dead Capell before being able to move.
I... could try beating her with only the most basic regular attack, not chained to another second regular attack or anything, I guess. But that sounds painful. One error and I'm dead, and I'd need to hit her about 1000 times.
Not to mention that getting back there takes 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:07:03 AM by Fenrir »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: September 27, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »
I would be incredibly amused if Niu was talking about the ease of evading attacks that were completely changed in the NA version...
...into the nightfall.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
Radiant Historias- Just reached the Sand Fortress in Alternate History. Last event in the Standard History was the merchant one and I'm supposed to head for the Sand Fortress there as well! I think. Also I did go back in time and do the man in the cave thing in Alternate to change the poor guy's fate and received a shiny for it but then I needed to proceed through the plots again from the mines >_> So I reset. I'll do it again when/if a more suitable Time Travel node appears (hopefully soon) Not much of an update here because I want to get back to playing but briefly - wow Shadow was a fun boss!

First real competent fight in the game I think? I didn't go into the fight on full MPs and after Power Wave and Frost/Thunder spam from Stocke and Raynie they were soon both at 0. I thought I could do the rest of the fight with physical Attack spam/physical blitz down with Marco's Heal enough to keep the team going before his already depleted MP ran out <_< Needless to say this didn't really work well because first POIZN. I thought ok poison seems kinda nasty in this game (had been using Raynie's Poison Strike on the crab) but I can still handle it, I have some anti poisons left, Marco can heal, Raynie can use those .. arghh he poisoned Marco now. There was worrying about/hoping I wouldn't run out of anti poisons then ... what the hell was that? Did he just Stone Marco!? Wow. Shadow was turning out to be a real status fiend. Did he use Paralysis too? I think he might have but not sure now. It didn't hit at any rate if so. Luckily I'd made sure to buy at least three of every different type of status cure available from the shop earlier in the game >_> So I was able to depetrify Marco =) The last straw came when Shadow managed to successfully heal himself and ended up with a chunk of his HP back. Time to stop playing around CT. Herbal Tea time. Back to to skills/magic with Magic Boost spam. Regained control of the battle and finally won. After all that nobody levelled up from the fight =(

I did reset and redo this fight because I was curious if I could get more EXP from it. Restored MP before going in this time and made gratuitous use of Push Assault (keeping Shadow out of the heal circle) Power Wave and Frost/Thunder off Magic Boost. Even threw in some Fire from Stocke there. Marco comboed in to the others with physical attacks when he was done buffing. Shadow was effectively blitzed down this time but still no go on the levelling up. Marco came close but no luck!

My team is Stocke (L14) Raynie (L14) Rosch (L12) Stocke has Silver Edge, Silver Cape, Charm, Charm, Charm, Raynie has Bronze Spear, Silver Mail, Charm, Seed Ring, Charm and Rosch has Iron Spear, Silver Mail, Charm, Charm and Breeze Armlet. Marco is in reserves at L13 and his equipment isn't very up to date and he has no accessories!

Character wise as it is now - Stocke > Rosch (sexy beast!) = Marco > Raynie. In battle hmmm ... Stocke = Raynie > Rosch = Marco I think. Stocke's versatility/variety of moves seems hard to beat, he really gained a lot of skills fast. On the other hand really starting to dig Raynie's offence with magics~

Stocke/Raynie/Rosch is currently my go team for randoms. Grave Tuck and Gull Swing are smexy~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 27, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
I don't know, I think it's hard to imagine that a lot of FF8 was anything but the very first idea someone had, because (as was the case with deliberately marginalizing most of the cast) anyone who looked at it objectively would say it was a bad idea.

I could easily believe that FF8 is the result of many, many situations where the original plan wasn't working and they either had about five minutes to come up with a fix or they didn't care enough to spend time thinking about it.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 27, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
From what I understand, the original concept for displaying the Love Theme was to have an FF7 Love Point system where your choices to other characters affected Squall's interaction and eventually relationship with the females, and it was meant to last the entire game (instead of exist for one silly scene), but was ultimately tossed aside for some reason or another (possibly cause it would take too much time to program something like that?) in favor of just going SquallxRinoa.

When you look at Quistis' early game stuff, it...really makes sense.  She's hitting on him, plays an actual role early game, etc. then once Timber Arc starts, she fades from existence beyond a few stock lines here and there and one instance of self reflection.  Also supported by how Selphie's initial scene in Balamb Garden can have Squall either being nice to her or being a total dickwad, the latter of course being actually in character.

...so yeah, I think Shale's theory hold's true.  They probably wrote the entire Rinoa stuff, and then just sort of said "the concept isn't going to work, fuck it and drop the Selphie/Quistis arcs, we'll just make this SquallxRinoa!" and sort of forgot to compensate for Quistis or Selphie's characters in any sort of way (beyond "Selphie is a sugar obsessed freak")
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »
From what I understand, the original concept for displaying the Love Theme was to have an FF7 Love Point system where your choices to other characters affected Squall's interaction and eventually relationship with the females, and it was meant to last the entire game (instead of exist for one silly scene), but was ultimately tossed aside for some reason or another (possibly cause it would take too much time to program something like that?) in favor of just going SquallxRinoa.

Well, that's something FF8 has going for it. At least it didn't turn out to be a friggin' dating sim.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: September 27, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
Well, I didn't say that'd be a superior product!

But if you have an idea and drop it, you kind of need some sort of compensation, especially if 2 of the characters interactions, development, etc. is HINGED HEAVILY UPON THIS.

Yeah, lots of games are made better by deviating from their original design.  Xenogears was going to be a CT sequel, but deviated from the original source too much, so rather than keep making it pretend to be something its not, they just adjusted the story to be its own original story...

...and while I am not a fan of Xenogears, I will admit they did at least a half decent job shifting gears (no pun intended) in that game.  Yeah, some minor tells still exist, but that's no big deal.  Its not a major thing like "entire characters get dropped cause their original development had to be tossed aside, and we were too lazy to come up with a replacement idea!"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 27, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
I honestly wouldn't have even known it was intended for that purpose if the Internet hadn't told me.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Well, plenty of things like that happen!  You don't recognize what's going on until someone tells you, then all the tell-tale signs just start standing out a lot.

I mean, DMC being originally a Resident EVil game comes to mind.  Wouldn't have guessed that, then I read about that, and suddenly all the obvious signs are there.  Bad Camera angles, exploding island with jet flying out of it in the ending, monsters have resembling features to a lot of RE Creations (Marionettes could easily pass as Zombies), crap load of Emblem-related advancements, "You Are Dead" game over with some enemy specific fatalities...

...yeah, all this stuff is easy to miss if you don't know better; once you DO know it, it starts becoming obvious.  Not so much a bad thing, mind, more just kind of something you start to notice.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:47 PM »
Catherine: "Baby With a Chainsaw has appeared." I don't think you can hear that kind of thing outside of an Atlus game.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 27, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
Starjewelled

Playing this online 2v2 a lot.

Psychonauts

Yeah, after my significant annoyance at some of the flaws, I've barely touched it since.  This might end up being one of those games that "I'll probably finish someday."