Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267276 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2425 on: October 08, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is no planet on which I am not indecisive enough.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 08, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »
Dark Souls: I have upward of 20 deaths. I'm doing something wrong and not sure what. According to Tal, I should not be battling skeletons or undefeatable scythe arm ghosts yet immediately following the Undead Asylum. So that may be it.

Hahaha, I can barely handle the skeletons.  You poor, poor man.

Dark Souls:  Started.  Am playing a female cleric.  Extra heals is handy.  Not too far yet, got as far as the Taurus demon.  Am dying considerably more than Fudo is.

I'd contest that if I didn't lose track of my deaths again.

Am I the only one who apparently failed hard at choosing where to go in Dark Souls? <_<

And this is still when you have an obvious goal.

Now more glorious Fudo Dark Souls posting.  With all the despair that entails.

Dark Souls: Last time I saw the boss door.  Turns out I was wrong, but more on that later.  First more glorious sewer exploration!  Except about five minutes in I get invaded again and I swear the guy was a PVP twink since his attacks did 1/3 of my not-inconsiderate life with each hit.  Dammit.

So, I go around and slowly begin killing the giant rat.  Which requires Plunge Attacks that require navigating half the sewers to do.  Only to learn I could have arrowed him to death with like 50 arrows.  Oi!  This opens up a new path where I run into another mage enemy and his army of rats...  Kill them and find more upgrade material.  I also notice the area where he was is about the size of a city block so I correctly deduce this to be the boss room.  I finish exploring the sewers, then go on the look for a new ring that the other gave me a tip about.  Waaaaaaaaay, back at Darkroot Basin where giant butterflies are deadly, I opened a secret path but didn't pursue because the enemies--weak though they were--were scary.  So I head down this path and pick up a shiny new ring that pretty much doubles my Poise.  Unkillable me go!

Back to the Boss.  Who's such a horrifying giant bastard I'll let you all experience it for yourself.  25k souls though!  That's a couple of levels!  And this opens up the gate to.... Blighttown.  Now, if the name wasn't a dead giveaway then I'll actually explain the sheer horror of this place by saying its similar to an unholy combination of Valley of Defilement(both parts) and Tower of Latria 2.  My first foray doesn't even get that far because the new giant enemy knocks aside my shit enough to send me flying off the platforms.  Twice.  Once I get the upper hand I start thinking about getting a new shield, and the next best one is... in Blighttown.  Ha.

As I slowly whittle down my non-Estus supplies praying for the bonfire, I find it and don't bother with wasting 2 humanity to kindle it.  I search around for a ladder looking for that shield and instead find a rickety bridge that nearly kills me a dozen times.  After the bonfire is a new breed of fire-breathing dog, fire-breathing spider flies and some sort of giant leech squid thing that doesn't do anything.  I slowly make myself down to the swamp--because I said Valley 2 dammit--where poison even more horrifying then Demon's Souls and there's tons of mosquitoes coming to prick you and I'm completely out of Estus.  Luckily the second bonfire is close and this time I do spend two humanity to light it.  So of course I get invaded a scant five seconds later after I throw on all my poison resist gear.  By the time I get back to the bonfire and change, she comes rolling up.... stark naked with a two-hander and shield.  I promptly kill her in one combo.  And get four humanity out of it.  Spiffy.

I explore the swamp some more, find all the treasure and the shortcut out of here and... die to a double-helping of the pig bastards.  Actually that death took place before the kindle.  Well, whatever.  I go through them again and open the shortcut up through New Lando(Where Alex's go to die to ghosts) to Firelink where the bonfire is now out because the Firekeeper is dead.  So I can't upgrade my Estus again argh.

Back in Blighttown, I make it to the boss outer reachs, but doing so has left me with all of 5 Estus.  Mainly because I spent 5 of them on one enemy who I'll let you all experience for yourself as well.  Instead of heading back like an intelligent person, or getting help from a summon sign like an intelligent person(one of the signs being from the other player who just invaded).  I head inside.  Where I get a nice cutscene depicting a horrible fire spider-fly with a naked chick sticking out of the top.  As I wonder why there is suddenly sexy the boss fight starts.  It actually gos well since I'm almost prepared for this!  Except I run out of Estus as she's on her last fraction of health!  ARGH.  The next five attempts are all variants of bullshit--including the one where she literally has nothing left in her bar but yellow left since yellow is the color for what damage was done.  When I finally beat her it is glorious!  I head in and ring the second bell and open up Sen's Fortress.  I also light the next bonfire and level up my sweet self.

I take the long, long trek back and investigate the Fort.  The NPC out front is gone, and two steps in I activate a trap.  Then two snakemen who don't take a whole lot of damage and I can't stun them with my hits.  Thankfully my Shield is now awesome so I can handle them.  Second room in the Fort is filled with swinging pendulum death traps so I run away like the scared little girl I am.

Sometime along the way I get the brilliant idea to try fighting the Hydra.  I can handle the minions in the area decently enough after all!  I can't even land a hit before I'm a bloody smear.  Luckily my skirt power allows me to reclaim my body and run away with minor damage.  Minor only being 2/3s of my life gone after blocking the attacks with a 80% Magic Absorb Shield that still knocked off all my Stam.  So, OK, I'll check out what's after the Moonlight Butterfly.  Nothing except another item to give to the Blacksmith.  I can upgrade my shield to different paths now!

So instead I go and fight some guy I could have fought so long ago who reminds me of Biorr.  He's stupid easy and his path opens up... right next to the Hydra oh dangit.

Now I have no idea where to go because Sen's is too unbalanced it seems and all the other places scare me.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 08, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »
Oh man. The "non-linearity" gets worse? Craaap.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 08, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
Hahahaha, I just looked up how to fight those ghosts and it is brutal.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2429 on: October 08, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »
You're surprised? Dark Souls is a game about punching yourself in the dick.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: October 09, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
Speaking of which...

Demon's Souls: The final boss was such a final dick move. He has an attack that steals levels, in a game where you pretty much can't reset.
I died two times, the second time losing three levels (=90 000 souls), the 20 000 souls I had at that point, 15 minutes of progress, a bunch of herbs, sticky white stuff, and sanity. -> Ragequit.

Tried NG+, 1-1 is as expected not hard, especially with that overpowered Soulbrandt, the shield that blocks everything, and 40 Stamina. Slimes were getting OHKOed with their shield raised. I won't play much right now because Dark Souls is next. (Hopefully, in 2 days)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 09, 2011, 04:07:34 AM »
WAIT

Ashley Riot is Keifer Sutherland

Ok we can go on.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2432 on: October 09, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »
"I am the reinforcements" does kinda sum up 24, from what I know.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: October 09, 2011, 05:56:25 AM »
Final Fantasy 7 - So Barret is glad we don't have to purchase ammo in this game, because the dude wastes it like mad. So I am climbing that tower with the plate support and I hear the machine gun fire the whole time. He probably fired 300 bullets at least. Plus firing at the sky after Sector 7 was destroyed used another 50 bullets.

My favorite part so far is Rufus. "So dad tried to rule the world with money, I will rule it with FEAR."

I want to shake Tifa for saying it was her fault that Aeris was kidnapped. Girlfriend, that bitch's been getting chased by Shinra forever.

I'm trying to date Barret currently. I have a hardon for ecoterrorism.

I am in Junon. Did the CPR game, which is terrible.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 09, 2011, 07:07:28 AM »
Deus Ex:  Saved Malik by emulating the Flash - I sprinted around and punched people while scarfing down candy bars.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: October 09, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
Soo, been replaying SH2 recently, started out semi obsessive compulsive over beating boss fights with perfect ring victories that comboed them quick enough to get a few turns bonus, soon realized that this is not SH3 of the stock system and bosses that die before they get turns if you set things right and that I was just making things harder then they needed to be.  Have mainly been using a party of Yuri/Karin/Jaochim/(Geppeto pre Russhia/Ana post Russia).  Will probably be subbing out Joachim with Kurando soonish since I think one of the upcoming bosses is going to be dark elemental.  I'll probably be shot for saying this but I actually feel like Gepetto was the better mage then Ana, but mostly because I abused equipping proper dolls and using the combo magic that bosses were weak to with him or something, also having to waste a turn with Ana in some battles irks me ever so slightly so yeah.  Oh right, currently sneaking through Hobo's Lab acting snarky vs Demi Gods.

Also through a potential lapse of proper judgement decided to pick up VP: Lenneth because I could.  Just got to chapter three and am amazed to find myself enjoying it quite a lot.  It is basically everything that I actually liked about VP2, without all the horrible horrible design decision that makes me want to burn Tri Ace in fire tacked on. (Seriously screw you and your retarded 3 dungeons damn near in a row with unblockable poison areas Tri Ace)  The fact that I don't have to worry about attacking enemies from every conceivable obscure angle with random obscure attack sets to get that one item out of 5 to learn an ability, but only after equipping said items even if it won't result in a good current equipment setup for that character, is a HUGE HUGE plus.  I honestly have no clue why they added that system after playing (a port of) the original.  So back to the actual game, kind of regretting the decision to play on normal since I got lucky or something and got that shrine girl who basically comes with that 600 attack staff in chapter 2.  I kind of feel bad for the randoms, because when Bow Lenneth isn't soloing an enemy whilst producing eleventy billion gems and a chest, whichever mage I feel like having in the party is instead just oneshotting them all at once.  Game just needs a bit of difficulty and it'll be set.  So yeah, totally enjoying this game and am now narrowing my fire burning anger down from all of Tri Ace to just whoever in Tri Ace decided on design change decisions for VP2.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: October 09, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
VP1 hard mode is actually easier than VP1 normal. I'm not sure how they didn't notice this in development. The thing with hard mode is that einherjar all join at level 1...which isn't actually a disadvantage because it means you can stack emerald bracelets/bracelets of zoe (I forget which one does HP) on your new recruits and have them come out with grossly boosted stats once they catch up to everyone else. Which is really just a matter of throwing some party XP at them. Hard is also a much more fun playthrough of the game for having more lategame dungeons, I think (also more options in the Seraphic Gate, Normal blocks you out of some areas there). Normal has a few dungeons that Hard doesn't, but I seem to recall there's not much in the later chapters of Normal.

For what it's worth, I tend to think VP enemies only start getting competent around Lezard's tower in chapter four.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 09, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »
Yes, Easy is hard, Hard is easy.  Mainly due to not having all the skills in Easy like Attack/Magic Pow.  And no Lawfer.  :)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 09, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
Normal Mode gives you more EXP to offset the less dungeons, so you end up the same level for the most part.  The Bracelet of Zoe thing isn't what I'd say makes a big deal in VP1 to be honest for the modes, more so that Hard Mode gives you so much good stuff (or easier access to it) that Normal Mode doesn't.

The early Creation Gem/Jewel is one such example. 

Honestly, though, without a FAQ, Normal Mode is easier than Hard Mode.  the stuff that makes Hard Mode easier requires knowledge about the game.  That said, Easy Mode is still probably the hardest.  For starters, one thing Normal DIDN'T lack was PC options (outside of maybe Lyseria, who isn't a big deal due to the nature of VP Mages), Easy mode you miss both Lancers I believe meanwhile.  Its also lacking in some key dungeons as well which lead to good stuff (Normal mode gets Creation Gem/Jewel eventually, Easy mode cannot IIRC since it can't do Lezard's castle.)

Yeah, there's a reason I call the 3 modes "Complete" "Casual" and "Butchered" for obvious reasons.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: October 09, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
You're surprised? Dark Souls is a game about punching yourself in the dick.

I expect dick punches but everything before was a nice light fondling compared to this.  Except Capra Demon.

Dark Souls: Where the rock don't stop.  I mean that literally by the way.

So when last I left off I was returning to the Undead Asylum to fight the Stray Demon and get the treasure behind a locked door I got a key for that isn't worth it.  Felt like going back to the ol'starting cell only to find it guarded by the fourth Black Knight.  Who soon became the fourth dead Black Knight.  The starting cell has some shiny new loot in the form of... some stupid doll.  Yippie.

I head back to the First Bonfire and move around my equipment a bit.  If I equip different gauntlets and Havel's Ring(Equip Burden UP) I can get the fast roll in my armor!  And since Evil Eye will be worthless in this fight...  Fights, really.  Along my path of six deaths I try out the one Pyromancy spell I have.  Increase damage for taking constant HP damage.  A lot of constant HP damage.  Not worth it since the bonfire isn't kindled I only have 5 Estus.  Fights range from "what you were expecting to move?" to "You think 1/10th life remaining is close?" until I eventually manage to figure his pattern enough to win with four Estus.  Sweet sweet victory gives me a Titanite Slab and 20k Souls.  SPIFFY.  And of course the bigger reward, never needing to come back here except to trade with Snuggly.

It's around now when I looked up how to deal with New Londo stuff and promptly decide that Sen's Fortress would be a better idea because I'm not that suicidal.

It certainly is an idea.  The swinging pendulums of doom are actually not all that scary damage-wise.  The enemies actually hit harder--shock, including the next snakeman the snakewoman who shoots lightning and wants to eat your head.  I slowly make my way up this place, rationing my Estus as best I can because I know the bonfire is all the way at the end.  It's hard, real hard since the enemies hit hard and the rocks don't stop.  Thankfully I'm enough of a tanky bastard that I can be crushed by the rocks--giant boulders really--and be barely inconvenienced. 

Further and further I head up, past arrow traps that nearly kill me from full health, past pendulum traps over strips if land barely big enough to walk across, and the shining sunlight of the roof is reached.  Whereupon the sunlight is blocked by a giant hurling giant flaming balls at me.  So of course this is the area where the bonfire is.  Right off a drop no sane person would ever think to make.  I use the last of my Estus to ensure I have enough health to survive the drop and light that glorious bonfire.  Then I blow my two humanity to kindle it.

I rush upstairs and find and kill the bastard hurling giant firebombs at me, because he can't respawn, and then go check out the nearby merchant.  Who of course sells armor that's completely better then my upgraded stuff even though I just boosted it all up at the bonfire because Sen's Fortress gives a fair bit of upgrade material.  Also sells other armor that's various degrees of there.  But mostly I want what the game calls Onion Gear.  I head downstairs and get the key required to open up the shortcut to the start of the fort, then take the shortcut which just so happens to land you right next to an enemy with another enemy sniping at you.

Since I have the bonfire I want to start getting the many secrets of the fort.  To do that I manipulate the boulder falling path and decide that racing them would be a good idea.  Where it promptly knocks me into a pit.  There goes that living.  After a time, I get s shiney new lightning spear after killing... a thing, I also get crushed twice more, get a headfull of spikes and find the most pointless slightly-secret yet, I'm ready to take on the boss!  By throwing down a summon side to help some other poor fool.  It actually doesn't take long to get summoned, or die as though I tanked the boss's attack for stamina damage it sent me flying back about 50 feet and off into the great dead yonder.

Take 2!  This time to summoner gets knocked off into the bright green yonder.  Take 3!  I don't even know how the summoner dies this time.  No take 4, so I go and solo it on my first attempt.  No, multi-person wins won't count so there loses don't go! even though they should count more

After the battle but before I get my Soul reward I grab the mysterious ring of light and get molested by gargoyles again.  And I am now in the fabled Anor Londo.  I make my way to the first bonfire--prekindled woo hoo--and spend my delicious soul reward which I'm not actually sure I received all of.  I test out the waters here, the enemies are big and tough and give out 500 Souls.  Money.  Also there's another thing...

But by now I'm booted off and get to watch the other play.  This reveals to me the location of even better armor and other weird things.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: October 09, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »
Gotta say that Hard Mode is totally harder than Normal Mode in VP (at least maingame); most of the harder dungeons and bosses are HM-only, and HM doesn't really give you anything NM doesn't (except Lyseria!). Easy Mode may well be the hardest but I've never played it. Really don't see what is supposed to make Normal Mode harder than Hard.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 09, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
It is harder if you go into it aiming to do stuff that one rounds bosses and stuff, but yeah generally speaking Normal isn't so bad.  It doesn't have any of the bosses that can overkill your party.  Think the hardest boss is Fenrir?  Edit - Outside of the final of course.  Edit 2 - and that is because you haven't really had to worry about status before then on Normal.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 09, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
I think what it comes down to is Normal is easier in terms of raw combat while Hard mode is easier in the sense of just breaking the game to pieces.    Like was said, Seraphic Gate aside, Normal gives you most of the essentials for the main game Hard Mode would give you.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 10, 2011, 12:14:02 AM »
I'm not sure what's supposed to make Hard Mode easier as far as breaking the game goes. I mean, you can one-round Fenrir with a HM-only item, sure. But heck, as far as game-breaking goes, the thing standing out to me notably is mc's note that C ending Freya is notably easier to beat on Normal Mode because of the Phoenix Feather (Angel Curio, but breaks only 10% of the time) from a NM-only dungeon. Otherwise, all the real game-breaking stuff (whether defensive like Guts/AI/AC or offensive like the Creation Jewel and Attack/Magic Pow) are available on both NM and HM (though not necessarily EM -_-).

Hel Servants and Wraith being HM-only pretty much irrevocably tilts challenge in that mode's direction, never mind that you will be lower-levelled (which certainly makes up for any Emerald Necklace or Bracelet of Zoe shenanigans), and that HM dungeons have much harder puzzles/platforming, and much better enemies on average. (Even some NM dungeons get upgrades on HM, like those beholder-type enemies that get added to Lost City Dipan).

Blue Dragon - I'm about eight and a half hours in. Game's okay... plot pretty much embodies why one shouldn't pay attention to plot in most RPGs but whatevs, not like it gets in the way too much. Shu and Marumaro are both total morons though.

Otherwise the game very, very much wants to be FF5; the game's class system is virtually identical. Well, it gives you three skill slots instead of one, which is certainly cool and an improvement! It also doesn't force you to re-equip when you monkey with your classes or skills in any way (though flipside, all classes equip the same stuff, which makes for fewer decisions... still think I'll take the trade). Battle system-wise, I do like the addition of the gauge that lets you decide how long to charge things, although the control for it feels a bit unresponsive? Maybe that's just me. Regardless, I like it.

The game's randoms have been pretty terrible as far as challenge goes. Bosses have pretty interesting design though, so that's a plus.

I can't say the game's as enjoyable as FF5, though. I wasn't sure why, but then recently I looked at the game clock and I figured it out. I'm eight and a half hours in, as mentioned but I've only fought four bosses and generally don't feel like I've played that much of the game. Animations are also a little on the slow side which I really only complain about because randoms are so easy that it feels like animations are the only thing slowing them down. Mostly, though, I just regret this game's pacing. With this type of job system it'd be great if you could just breeze through the game but that doesn't really seem possible, just not that type of game.

Yeah, Elfboy complains about pacing in RPGs, sky is blue, etc. Still, game is enjoyable enough to keep at it!

Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 10, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
Gotta say that Hard Mode is totally harder than Normal Mode in VP (at least maingame); most of the harder dungeons and bosses are HM-only, and HM doesn't really give you anything NM doesn't (except Lyseria!). Easy Mode may well be the hardest but I've never played it. Really don't see what is supposed to make Normal Mode harder than Hard.

It is entirely possible that my perspective is skewed due to playing Normal first and knowing how to break the game before going into Hard more, now that I think of it. VP folds like an origami master if you approach it with some advance knowledge.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: October 10, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »
Oh yes, absolutely. Even if you don't read about the game between playthrough 1 and playthrough 2, just the knowledge gained from the first playthrough will trump any difficulty difference I think. If you do read about the game-breaking stuff... better get the enemies a blindfold and a cigarette.

Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 10, 2011, 04:26:27 AM »
M&MCoH:  beat the campaign.  Pretty long considering this was originally a DS game.  Multiplayer looks like fun, but I have other games to play before I delve into that.

Dark Souls:  beat the Taurus Demon.  I didn't realize I should be trying to block his attacks.  I figured something that big would just smash through my blocking attempts but apparently not.  Used my winnings to buy the Force miracle.  Comes with 21 uses... Hmm... Maybe I can use that to run through the area with the ghosts.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:05 AM »
Glad to see more people are playing Order of Ecclesia.  I'd be totally down for a sequel to that, too.  Best combat and play control of the series, and great weapon balance.  (Only Hasta / Culter / Arceus really felt truly terrible.)  I like mixing up the usual castle environments of Castlevania with lots of outdoor ones, too.  Pretty much agree with Elf's take on the elements and the glyphs; I think I used the Falcis line more, to the end of the game, pretty much.  Secare / Confodore absolutely had their place if you can get in close, but Falcis does enough damage from a safe distance that you're still 1-2HKOing a lot of enemies and doing it safely.  Also agree that Magnes was great fun, and wish that I didn't feel bad setting that as a "movement" option rather than a stat boost / summon.  Luckily it seems that the designers of Harmony of Dissonance agreed, as Shanoa has perma-Magnes there.  It's great fun dodging Beelzebub's flies and moving in to rapier spam him with Magnes.

Speaking of which, games.  Probably behind on this....  though not by THAT much, been doing a lot of reading in the subway.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Julius mode replay: Fun and fast.  Stuck on Death at the moment, forgot that he's pretty badass in DoS.
* Bat Company: Still pretty tough, especially if done early.  Gave up trying to mess with Yoko / Al against him after a few deaths and just used Julius, who can double jump kick / slide to safety as well as toss axes.
* Gergoth: Great fun, fight even if not THAT difficult.  Totally a Julius boss, so used Yoko this playthrough and still won due to dodging his pattern well.
* Speedy time-stopping knife dude: Another fun fight that I know his pattern too well now.  Could use pretty much whoever, even Alucard.
* Mirror dude: Totally slew me easily the first time I tried, left because memorizing patterns / careful Bat placement is screw you, came back after Dario2 and killed him before he ever hopped back in the mirror again with Ice spam from Yoko.  Uhh that's one way to do it.
* Dario2: Tried solo-Julius on him this time.  Was easier to dodge than I recall, Julius worked fine.  (Easy way is to hit his weak point for massive damage with Yoko Ice of course.)  Fun, but no I'm not going to try and Alucard him out if I ever do this a third time.
* Death: Ow ow ow.  Very much a "don't get hit" boss.  Not that amazingly hard to dodge but you lose life fast when you screw up.

New Super Mario Bros. DS: So I chased around a tiny Bowser, then fought him and a big Bowser, and I beat up the small Bowser, but then Bowser hit me and I got small, then I ate a mega mushroom and got big and jumped on Bowser, true story.

Vaguely amused that it really is the Princess in each castle, but she's just moved to the next fallback castle every single time rather than having her buddies everywhere with "But our Princess is in another castle!"  Or transformed Kings, etc.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair PS3: Running this with super / Ephraim / Xeroma mostly, and occasionally AndrewRogue / Namagomi.  Maining Shanoa, backup is Alucard.  Great fun, though I definitely recommend getting a big group and doing it together if possible - all your drops are shared across one account, so even picking an off-character means you can potentially uber yourself for earlier stages.  Definitely more fun to suffer through the early stages together with others doing it for the first time as well, which isn't likely online where you have crazy people who grind drops.  We're getting close to being done, though - we've beaten Chapters 1-6 Hard as well as Chapter 8 Hard.  Astarte on Chapter 7 Hard has uncanny luck like forcing disconnects of Eph / Me whenever we fight her, and she's pretty badass anyway.

Shanoa is just a ton of fun to control, especially when Magnes points are available for fighting.  Fulgur (Lightning) is her safest option and still does good damage despite being homing.  Ignis, if all three bolts connect, is her best damage.  Don't use Nitesco / Grando that often, although they have their place.  Nitesco can block vision so it's not entirely safe, and Grando is the best damage option at long range, but is much less likely to hit than Fulgur.

Alucard...  eh.  Apparently Internetz hype is that he sucks, which I can see for those who grind a lot - Alucard is entirely equipment drops based.  It does mean he's really fast to get up to speed at least.  Unfortunately the damage is just not that great in general.  He does have one trick, though...  Jewel Knuckles style weapons, like in SOTN, have an *insanely* fast attack rate.  Actually even better than SOTN's.  So Alucard is all about sneaking next to an enemy then rapidly punching them out.  This is downright good vs. bosses that stay on the ground, too (So Chap 1/4/6/7*).  In fact he's downright better than Shanoa vs. Dracula - Drac has a "charm females" attack, and Alucard punches out Form 2 frighteningly fast.  (The giant demon from the SOTN prologue Richter fight.)  Pretty much solo'd Form 2 on our Hard Mode Chap 6 playthrough, actually.  Chap 7, Astarte, Alucard theoretically has the same punch spam...  except then he falls prey to Astarte's "charm males" attack. :(  Still arguably better than Shanoa, who is stuck with Nitesco as the only thing that causes any damage to the elemental-resistant Astarte, and Nitesco blocks the view of her next move.

King Arthur Collection: Tried like 15 minutes of this when I was in the mood for a strat game, had picked it up for 5 bucks on Steam awhile back.  Utterly non-impressed, though, the combat system feels like Total War if nothing happened.  Dudes stand next to each other and fight, slowly, to the death.  No dramatic morale breaking cavalry charges or the like.  I guess there's supposed to be spells & stuff flying around the battlefield later to make it interesting, but meh.

Cthulhu Saves The World: Just started.  Challenge level is pretty good on hard.  Sense of humor is...  very...  yeah, feels like a fan-made game still.  Oh well!  Wish it was more "let's take Silly Cthulhu and make a classic JRPG" rather than "let's take a classic JRPG and apply a dab of Cthulhu names."  Seek out the (monster infested) Shrine of Heroes 'cause that's what heroes do?  Yeah, that's a Dragon Quest IIIesque plot pretty much.  We'll see, I suppose.

Ghost Trick: Just started this recently.  Okay, the game explicitly introduces the note then is like "whoa no time to read it," fine.  An excuse blatantly created to stretch out plot revelations, but fine.  However...  what does my body look like?!  I want to investigate my death, right?   Let's do some elementary forensics here, starting with "is there a giant bloody mess in my chest like a shotgun shell exploded there."  There sure doesn't look like there's any such wound, but maybe this is artistic license to not amp the game's rating up?  I'd at least like some comment from Our Hero, who even possessed his own body briefly.  This will make me want to throw a penalty flag later if they try to pull some "twist" with my method of death.

Otherwise, hurray, totally arbitrary rules about what can and can't be possessed - or which handle allows me to possess things - means that gameplay exists that involves tormenting random dudes so that the can-be-possessed objects get moved close together while I ignore the similar looking nonliving objects that can't be possessed, um, 'cause.  Cool!  I'll take it.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2448 on: October 10, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »
Persona 2 Innocent Sin- Why didn't anyone make more games like this?  I mean... this is one of the rare legitimately interesting stories.  The setup would be utterly unique if this game didn't have a second half.  They could take on crazy, conspiracy theory sorts of legends and they work utterly because that's the central premise, off the wall crazy beliefs are made real because people believe them!  The world changes so fast that your characters spend most of their time just trying to keep up.  And yet, at the heart of everything is, indeed, your characters and their actions.  Everything begins, and ends, with a selfish crime anyone would have committed given the circumstance.  Simple motives with complex consequences.

That said of course, the game does suffer from what I can only call gameplay pacing.  There are just a lot of times the game stops dead through a combination of how acquiring and using a new Persona works as well as the basic dungeon design.  However, in a key improvement from Eternal Punishment, the game basically hands you fully functional personae at a few points, and this really cuts down on the time spent getting up to speed, or such is my memory of EP.  As well, and I have to assume this is PSP-specific, the whole system feels a lot faster, and setting up auto-actions and letting a battle play out is pretty painless.  It's reminiscent of playing PSIV except there's more incentive to use combo attacks.

Magic-immune enemies still stop the combat cold though.

I also wish the game wasn't quite so dungeon crawler, because the cast is great and having more interludes of them just... being together would have been lovely.  Still, what's there is nice.  Of course, this could be because IS is the shortest Persona game by a notable margin from what I can tell, so there's just fewer events to put that stuff into.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 10, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »
Dark Souls:  beat the Taurus Demon.  I didn't realize I should be trying to block his attacks.  I figured something that big would just smash through my blocking attempts but apparently not.  Used my winnings to buy the Force miracle.  Comes with 21 uses... Hmm... Maybe I can use that to run through the area with the ghosts.

Try and grab the Fire Keeper's soul before you go running for the safety of the world above.

Dark Souls: Where fun and profit are always together.

When I last left off I was going to head over to Darkroot Garden to get some spiffy new armor.  But to do that I need 20k souls to purchase a key to open a door to let me in.  Thankfully the guards in Anor Londo give 500 souls a pop so I get it decently fast.  I head back and buy what I need and head to Darkroot.  Actually I don't as on the way out of the Fort a blade knocks me down into the muck with the four Titanite Demons make their home here(the giant headless guys next to the blacksmith in Undead Parish for anyone).  Thankfully that one ring I found allows me to negate their advantage of the arena being a sludge-filled NO-MOVE FOR YOU place.  So my first thought is to escape since I don't have the bonfire near the blacksmith up.  Except when I think I'm safe up above a ledge that takes a ladder to get to, I get distracted by my kittey jumping on top of the house front door and it turns out there's a snakeman following me and I DIE.  But I get my revenge, my sweet, sweet revenge!  It just takes another death because I get ganged up on.  Again.  But I come out of it with four new Demon Titanite!

So, I go and open up to the forest of SCREW YOU where enemies come three at a time and you can't target half of them!  Lost of souls though.  1000 was the lowest and these guys respawn too!  Yippie!  I go further in, make sure not to cut myself off from the Covenant, and grab the armor I want and one I don't want.  I see that spending 17k souls on half the Onion gear was a waste as this... Stone?  Why is stone tougher then processed metal..  Well, let's say it's magic stone because actually that fits the setting.  So, from this point on I pretty much start pumping my Endurance to boost my equip burden so I can wear this stone gear because it has 54 glove def compared to the Onion's 34.  So yeah.  More Poise too!  I don't bother with the boss because I wanna tackle someplace else.

This place happens to be New Londo Ruins.  Land of ghosts and other assorted scaries.  Wait, scaries isn't a word?  Screw you firefox.  So, the ghosts that have been talked about time and time again!  In order to actually fight them efficiently you need to actually prepare.  One way is by magic or magical weapons neither of which I have at all.  The second is to become cursed, the status effect so awful it's like your back in Soul Form in Demon's Souls again.  And it can apply again and again...  Hope you enjoy having 1/8 your max life hahahhaha!  So, the third and frankly only sane method is to rely on an item that employs a temporary curse effect with the debuff part.  You get a lovely start of all of two of these if you can actually find them.  The next best source is to buy them from a merchant for 4000 souls apiece.  And ghosts don't give souls.  Actually instead they have a low chance of dropping more of the item.  Never have I been so glad to have my gold serpent ring.

So the ghosts!  After all my mild preparation of hitting a pot are... not really all that threatening damage-wise to me.  Yay being a tank.  And the lightning spear messes them up good too.  I grabbed the third Fire Keeper's soul--+3 Flash yay!--and head inside.  Where the ghosts reveal their next trick of attacking while inside walls and actually showing off a damaging attack.  After enough putzing around, I find Ingwald of Ingward or Ingor or something who proceeds to not do a damn thing.  I look around some more for where I'm supposed to go.  Turns out I can't actually go anywhere deeper here yet.  Joy of goddamn joys.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Run run run away.  Bah, at least while I'm here I can go meet that thing in Blighttown, so I head there.  Mosquitoes are still a pain.  But that Rusted Iron Ring proves its worth by allowing me to run through the swamp!  I agonize about not being able to find the mysterious wall in Quelagg's Lair until I find it.  Then I don't make any mistake and go and light the secret bonfire with awesome scenery nearby and get my Estus to +3.  I head down deeper past the weak normal bonfire and head to the next boss.

Ceaseless Discharge.  If that's not a name I'm not sane.  Just think giant human without arms but instead about a dozen insect claws that are all on fire growing out of his back.  Also think how painful being on the end of that's gonna be for anyone who's not me.  The first two tries go... well messy would not be undescriptive.  Third try goes beautifully as I only get hit once.  Beating him opens up the Demon's Ruins by draining the lava lake.  This also makes it safe for the giant tree roots growing down here for some reason.  Unfortunately this is not safe for me at all because this is the Demon's Ruins so they feel the best way to show how much they hate you is to clump 7 Tauros Demons together.  Yep.

And a Capra Demon or 7 as well.  OH HOW I ENJOYED TEARING THE FIRST LIMB FROM LIMB AND SHOVING ITS PARTS INTO ITS MOUTH AS I LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND LAUGHED.

Ahem.  So, the Tauros Demons here are actually probably stronger then the boss version.  Also they're immune to lava.  But the area is big and wide and they're patterned as all hell so it isn't hard to wipe them out.  Intense, but not hard.  And my reward is... 8400 souls.  And a bunch of stuff in lava that kills me in seconds.  Because I tried.

So, since I am no longer feeling up to challenging anyplace.  mainly because nothing left here I can actually challenge or something, time to do Anor Londo for real.  After the Elevator ride you're presented with no clear path.  But thankfully a helpful orange sign directed me up the precarious beams atop... the church?  Where I get assaulted by some sort of Assassin's Creed Assassin.  A lot.  Including when I have to walk over the rafters that are smaller then my waist.  Yay being a tank.  Getting through here opens the way to... the main castle I guess and the bottom part of the church.  Where I learn the monk guys are actually mad painters.

No, really.

I get some slight leg armor upgrade(my Equip Burden still too low for stone) and make my way to the castle.  Two large guards attempt to stop me.  I stop them.  Three Albino Gargoyles gets what's coming to all molesters and get knocked off into the abyss.  Seriously, they can't fly except to attack.  But the fourth and fifth gargoyles get away with their sin because they have archers who feel like shooting goddamn lances at me.  Death Count rise.  Head back, take them out safetly.  Learn the only way to progress is over increasingly narrow stripes of land with two archers sniping me.  I can't even block these because they knock me back so far.  Like off the edge when I get to the top and think "THEY EXPECT ME TO ATTACK THEM UP HERE!" because there's no place else to go.  So on my next life I barely, barely make it because damn those are thin.  Seriously, get a goddamn spear before you do this people.  Thankfully the next bonfire is right after.  With good buddy Soliare to do nothing.

So, this place is kind of a maze and it's populated by Silver Knights(who I mistook for Black Knights until they respawned) who aren't all that tough and give 900 souls a pop.  I run into the Onion Knight and after killing three more Silver Knights he gives me the useless Tiny Being's Ring.  Because 1/40th more HP is going to be the gamechanger here.  I also find the newest blacksmith, a titanite demon who drops his pole and two Demon Titanite and Havel's Armor which is even better then the Stone but so heavy that I can't wear it and fast roll even with the Havel's Ring.  But because I've been pumping my Endurance so much I can actually wear the armor without the Ring.  Well, Except the Shield because it requires 50 strength to use. 

I open up the two shortcuts and fight the Grand Giant's in the area before the boss.  Basiclly just even bigger versions of the guards I'd been killing at the start.  Just with an extra AOE and healing spell.  No biggie.  I actually tried to get summoned for the bosses... but then I realize everyone is probably just running straight to the fog door because they don't want to waste resources on the giants.

Now, the boss, well bosses...  Are amazingly goddamn cool, with AWESOME MUSIC and the fight is so damn intense I was actually out of my seat fighting them.  Also because the controller is kinda wonky and somtimes freezes up and has me run in circles and I really didn't want that to happen on this fight.  So my fights... well the first time goes amazing.  I kill one of them, get his item, the second one is dying, last bar of life and.... CHEAPSHOT!  UGH.  Second time I get like one attack off before they kill me.  Now the third time... oooooh baby that was a DREAM.  I actually took the part where they double-teamed me without a single Estus use.  So I was over-zealous in healing for the single, but I managed it.  30k souls and plot progression.

Kneeling before the mighty Princess's breasts, I receive the Lordvessel, allowing me to travel to any Fire Keeper bonfire.  Hell's yeah.  I join the Princess's Guard Covenant because I'm sick of Way of the White and head down back to Darkroot to deal with that boss. 

The Great Gray Wolf Sif is.... not much of a challenge after the mystery duo above.  Using Havel's Armor probably didn't help him/her.  I get m Abyss ring and head back to Demon's Ruin.  Because I think it'll protect me from lava for some reason--it doesn't.

After that I go and do something involving Anor Londo a blue stone and fighting three guys without any healing.  To gain... a thing.

So I return to New Londo and can actually progress now that I have the Lordvessel.  There's now a floor!  And solid enemies!  And the Phalanx for some reason!  And a Titanite Chunk--time to upgrade my spear!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:26:48 AM by Fudozukushi »