Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267191 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2625 on: November 09, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »
Devil May Cry 3- Mission 15. Only five or six more story missions left to go I think :( Thanks to Meeple for the tips on Mission's 13's boss. Worked a treat 8-) Such a difference compared to the resets/continues I racked up there before >_> I has a new shiny now (the fifth melee weapon) Is it worth using? Well I've been using it a bit already. Seems ok!

Beowulf's primary use is the raw power weapon.  You use it when you want to do as much damage as possible in as few hits as possible.  Killer Bee (the dive kick) is a good way to get in on enemies, and in swordmaster, it gets projectile and AoE based attacks to add some variety.

It also has Air Hike, so it still has utility.  For DT, Beowulf has the highest defense boost, IIRC, making it handy for just SURVIVING in those slugfests as well (and DT'd Beowulf hits hard as hell anyway.)

I personally like using Beowulf a fair amount, but then, DMC3 is a very "use what works for you" style game, so just go with what you're comfortable with.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: November 09, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
Out of curiosity, are you on PS3 version?  I have not experienced that input lag myself, although it is supposedly getting fixed in the upcoming patch.  Then again, I also have considerably less trouble in Blighttown than other people report.  So obviously I am just more awesome than the game.

PS3, yes. Things are way worse in Brighttown.  Huge drops in FPS and input lag = many deaths.  I had about 13 humanity and 20k souls stocked piled until an ogre knocked me off the cliff.  Managed to see my bloodstain, only to get swarmed and killed by fire dogs.  OHKOing fire dogs.  POIZN swamp was just boring.  Ring of Evileye kept my health up with the endless spawning bugs.  However, I did beat the boss on the first try, with the power of goon squad.  Apparently sorcery has some fuck up shit to deal so much damage compared to axes-to-the-face. The two people I summoned kill it in 10 seconds. Some creepy ugly freak asked me to join his Covenant so I did and got more pyro power, and I don't even have the item to use it.

Right now, I can barely keep interest in this game until they fix the input lag.  Everytime I'm on a roll, I get fucked over by lag and lose 30 minutes of progress. 

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: November 10, 2011, 12:36:44 AM »
I picked Bandit because it was the only class that starts with an axe, cause hell yes. 

Pyromancer starts with an axe.

I've seen enough people complain about input lag yeah, but this has only happened twice to me (PS3 version)
Namco Bandai reaaaally isn't in a big hurry to release patches in the US & Europe either.
Disconnect from PSN in Blight town for slightly less headaches.

My pyro is in the depths and just rescued the dude who's going to make my life better. I've upgraded my own hand to +2. (just like in real life)
Fun class, I like the suit, throwing fire from the hand (with various graphical effects), the smell of burning flesh, etc. I've also equipped a rapier, they feel pretty much like spears with shorter reach, lower damage and faster speed.
Edit: I also named him after the guy who burned down my gym.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:15:38 AM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: November 10, 2011, 01:56:11 AM »
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin:

So...I get up to fighting the Whip's Memory, lose a bunch, do some of the portraits, get the Jet Black Whip...
"A weak whip weapon that is implied dark elemental gotten right after a boss...GEE I WONDER WHY THIS EXISTS!"

...get my ass kicked again.  Do another portrait, get Holy Mail...
"An inferior armor to something gotten blatantly in the open before, implied to resist Holy damage...GEE, I WONDER WHY THIS EXISTS!?"

And so I go cover some odds, ends, and then save my ga-*game freezes*

...fuck, ok, I didn't lose much progress since my last save, right?

"Save Data is Corrupt.  Save file deleted."

...>_<

That covers what happened in my first file rather well.  So I have to replay up through what was already a 90% completed game basically.  I would have just stopped playing right there and then if not for the fact that the game is fairly short, and its quick to play, and by nature, a replay will be a lot faster given I know what's good, where to go, when I get what, etc. 

Turns out I got better luck on drops this time, though I did grind a bit for a Europa's Dress cause I was pissed I lost that awesome equip before.

...so all that mumbo jumbo out of the way, yeah, I finished the game.  Started it at Minimeet where Shale lent it to me (by the way, your other files were completely untouched.  It was only my file that got deleted, so your progress is still there), finished rather quickly.

Not much to say about the game other than that it was a good entry to the series.  Maybe the best of the ones I played even, but I feel I need to replay Aria of Sorrow to fully make that assessment.  Feels better than Symphony of the Night overall if only because it actually fights back and thus gets less monotonous.  I will state I despise the first Pyramid cause it basically makes Johnathon nigh useless due to all the Ghosts, so it compromises the Dual Character system given you're basically soloing that with Charlotte.  Also the boulder traps were stupid.  That was the only part of the game I really didn't like.  Everything else was well handled, and also I can say that its ABOUT TIME they found a way to incorporate a Belmont style character in the game without making it a Bonus Mode NOR compromising the gameplay *eyes Circle of the Moon* so yeah, go Johnathon or something.  Charlotte of course was just a unique character with enough
competence to add to the gameplay, so all is good.

Favorite part of the game was probably the Richter Fight.  I'm a sucker for "Rival" style fights, where its a duel between two characters who have similar fighting styles and such, mostly because I feel that's where these kinds of games really illustrate their gameplay at their finest, not relying on gimmicks or anything like that.  In any event, hard fight that was actually well made and often I could tell my losses were due to screw ups on my end, and its a fight where there's very little lenience for screwing up, even with a weakness weapon and a resistance armor.

So yeah, good game.  Better than I was expecting.  I expected a decent game, and got something notably better.  8/10 or something?  Dunno when I'll get to Order of Ecclessia...probably sooner rather than later.

Oh, I DID try both Richter Mode and Sisters mode.  Richter Mode is...meh.  Its basically the SotN thing only now you have full access to Sub Weapons which really doesn't add much cause the Sub Weapons aren't worth much, with Maria added in just for the DUAL CHARACTER aspect, even though she seemed kind of pointless outside of areas that openly require two characters.  Not worth much.

Sister's Mode...while not exactly my cup of tea, I give them props for trying to find a FUN way to incorporate the Stylus.  It at least leads to something DIFFERENT in the game, at least, and does nothing to actually detract from the main game like, oh, I dunno...QTE Stylus Events everytime you beat a boss that when failed, has the boss revive and requires you to beat them AGAIN until you get the event right...but its not like a game a would ever do THAT.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:59:13 AM by Meeplelard »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: November 10, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »
Yeah, I went back to firelink shrine and got the pyro glove. I upgraded it to level 6 and suddenly I'm doing 500 damage fireballs. Uhhhh, I haven't put any points into INT; something is very wrong here.

I ditched my axe in favor of the Zewihander. Strong attack downs practically everything.  Suddenly I have the urge to find some extreme heavy armor and go Garland on everything.

Is there any recommended place to go after you ring the two bells?  There seems to be 5 or so areas open to me and with no fast travel I really don't want to get stuck in an area where I cannot escape.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: November 10, 2011, 02:26:28 AM »
Oh, I DID try both Richter Mode and Sisters mode.  Richter Mode is...meh.  Its basically the SotN thing only now you have full access to Sub Weapons which really doesn't add much cause the Sub Weapons aren't worth much, with Maria added in just for the DUAL CHARACTER aspect, even though she seemed kind of pointless outside of areas that openly require two characters.  Not worth much.

I'm guessing you did Normal mode, or are unearthly good with Richter.  Maria isn't pointless because she has the advantage of "not dying" and "killing them."  Richter's advantages are speed (useful on Normal mode I guess when you're cruising?) and holy-typed damage, while Maria is a lot more precise in her maneuverability and kills things extremely dead with her birds.  The flame birds + electric cats were pretty darn awesome specials, too.

But yeah, Portrait of Ruin is pretty good.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: November 10, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »
I said I tried Richter Mode; I didn't say I finished it.  I got bored with it fast because...well, see what I said.  SotN Richter Mode wasn't any fun and this didn't feel any better.

Only "Extra Belmont Mode" I had any sort of fun with was DoS' Julius Mode, cause it actually felt like something different.  Richter Mode in this game feels like a more restrictive version (in a way that detracts from fun) of the Main Game.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: November 10, 2011, 02:52:14 AM »
Yeah, I went back to firelink shrine and got the pyro glove. I upgraded it to level 6 and suddenly I'm doing 500 damage fireballs. Uhhhh, I haven't put any points into INT; something is very wrong here.

Pyromancy doesn't scale with INT, or any stat, just with the glove level.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:16 AM »
Castlevania extra modes generally fail to garner my interest at all, personally. HEY GUYS YOU CAN PLAY AS THIS MUCH MORE SIMPLE CHARACTER BUT IT'S OLDSCHOOL or something.

I started OoE Hard Mode, and just beat the forest. God, that place was badass, totally lived up to the hype, the first two screens were nightmares. Third was pretty easy by comparison since medusa heads are much easier to dodge than the goddamn bats with their annoying trajectory and the random, all-over-the-place Winged Guards. I swear, one of these days I'll play a Castlevania that will make me understand Medusa Head hate. Maybe.

FFX - About to go do the Bevelle raid. This game is the stuff. I have swapped the roles of Lulu/Wakka (needed some L1 Key Spheres), Yuna/Tidus (needed some L2 Key Spheres) and Auron/Rikku (needed the Teleport/Friend Spheres from Bikanel). Things are interesting so far, Black Mage Wakka is MVP aside from aeons most likely. Aeons I relied on as a bit of a crutch for a while even though Yuna had no sphere levels (and hence the aeons had gimpy stats) because my team sucked, but once Yuna entered Tidus' grid their strength went into super-ridiculous mode so I stopped using them for physical attacks because seriously, that's just broken (Bahamut will break the cap with his physical the moment he joins, guaranteed). This will limit them a bit, though their overdrives are more than ever the only way to overkill tough enemies (this playthrough gimps the overdrives of most PCs due to them running off weaker stats). Lulu's Deathtouch weapon was very helpful in Home, as was cheesing enemy AI (the Guado want to silence her!). Tidus is not doing a very good job as a healer, but he still has decent strength from spending some time with Kimahri... this won't last. Too early to really pass judgement on my new Auron and Rikku.

I also beat FF4 the After Years with a party of the classic team, replacing Kain with Ursula since screw Kain. Team thoughts...
-Edge and Ursula are both very solid fast fighters, although Edge is slightly superior overall due to being able to hit flying weakness and, later on, his awesome itemcast weapons (before then, he has Shadowbind, which is actually useful in this game what the hell), although Ursula does have her advantages in slightly better speed, ability to hit holy weakness (not as common as flying, but notably useful once or twice), and maintaining damage against fire/ice/lightning weakness better.
-Rydia is pretty great overall, Stop is good stuff and Quake/Leviathan are both really good attacks once they get rolling. Sylph is great backup healing and reflect-piercing early, falls off later though. MT Break is fun. In general she really picks up mid-dungeon with Quake/Leviathan/Break and the Assassin Dagger, which raises her speed to not too far below the speedsters, and falls off a bit towards the end as MT fights get rarer and status immunity finally becomes common. Still has a decent argument for MVP though.
-Rosa has early Haste/Blink/healing, obviously this is very good. Bows are solid for a long time in randoms, Holy helps late, but mostly she's about being awesome for bosses. Arise is also a great late pickup, obviously.
-Golbez was extremely good and overall MVP during the time I used him, which was the Subterrane dungeon. Great in all stats, especially damage and HP, but he does lose that as time goes on. I dunno how good he'd end up feeling in the end, though I'm confident he'd be better than...
-Cecil. Man, what the hell. LVP by far of the people I used, it's not even remotely close. He doesn't even pass Edge in HP until late and never builds a reasonable lead, due to a level disadvantage, his white magic is basically worthless. All he really has going for him is Cover/Auto-Cover but it doesn't feel like TAY battles conspire to make this terribly valuable, all he really does is reduce your need to cast Blink by 1. ps his main competition (Ceodore and Kain) can actually just, y'know, cast Blink. Kinda surprising and embarrassing, I think there's probably at least 10 PCs (the other five I used, Palom, Porom, Kain, Ceodore, Yang) who are just indisputably better than him and that shit is fucked up after how good he was in FF4o and the way the plot continues gushing over him in this one.

Overall it's a game that is hard to rate. Final dungeon is very, very obviously the highlight (kinda like Blue Dragon!) and the only real reason to play the game. Plot has glimmers but overall is about what you'd expect from an FF4 sequel and has some really trashy bits like SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR DEAD GIRLFRIEND FROM TWENTY YEARS AGO EDWARD ahem. Gameplay is great late but does feel like it could have been just a bit more interesting (boss designs are decent but nothing really floored me), still you gotta love that level of polish and challenge. Still a game I want to replay at some point. And by "replay" I mean starting at the start of the Subterrane when you get partyswitching, or possibly right before since the Mysterious Girl showdown at the end of the earth arc was pretty badass.

I never did beat Shinryu (or finished off Deathgaze, but I saw no reason to hunt him down when I had no reason to get Dualcast, did make him run away once so whatevs). Nobody on my team had high enough HP to reliably survive Tsunami, and while I could probably win eventually with a basic strategy of "get fortunate and survive opening round, put party back together and start spamming Shell", things just never turned out that way. A few extra levels would make it more reasonable, or just using someone like Yang. Final boss was decent but only decent, I had more trouble with Bahamut (and also liked that fight's design more, his support was just perfect), as well as Omega and Ultima Weapon but I suppose that's to be expected. Lots of love for the bosses in general, no real shock there.

Game's probably either a 6 or a 7, could have been better if it were just the last quest but so it goes. Final levels were 59-64 (screw you Cecil), final time in the last quest was 17:30 with all other quests being 2-3 hours.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: November 10, 2011, 04:21:33 AM »
Pyromancy doesn't scale with INT, or any stat, just with the glove level.

Well, some of the pyro spells scale with humanity, but yeah.  Pyro is pretty broken right now.

Doesn't look like I'm going to have time to finish Dark Souls before Skyrim comes out, so I'll post my thoughts now.

This actually filled the need for a type of game I've been wanting to play recently: a single player game with MMO elements.  The combat system is great;  I love that each weapon has its own attacks, for all that I didn't experiment with them much.  The aesthetics were outstanding, and I couldn't believe how seamlessly you could move from area to area.  I would barely even hear the disc drive run.  As I mentioned before, I did have a bit of slowdown in Blighttown, but not as much as other people reported.

So what's wrong with the game?  Despite being a single-player game, it wants very badly to be a multiplayer game.  And the multiplayer aspects are complete ass.  You can only summon or be summoned by players within 10 levels of yourself.  And since levels range from 1 to 700-something, you really have no idea if you're the right level for a particular boss's summoning or not.  Not to mention levels are largely meaningless anyway.

And that's if people the correct level can even find each other in the first place.  Demon's Souls had one server.  Dark Souls has ten, and they're randomly assigned.  So the end result is that you do a lot of waiting for coop, and invasions just tend to fail altogether (wasting your invasion items I might add).

Oh, and did I mention the message system?  If you see a helpful message, you can give it a positive rating.  Or a negative rating to some guy trying to trick you into jumping off a cliff.  Except the rating displayed is the sum of the absolute values of all positive and negative ratings.  The only way to find out if a message is actually helpful or harmful is to waste an attunemnt slot on the Seek Guidance miracle.  Yeah, fail.

Other than the multiplayer, the only other major problem is how faq-bait it is.  And the Anor Londo archers, which is just plain cheap.

Overall, it's an 8/10 game.  I think it could steal quite a bit of Skyrim's thunder.  Skyrim has a tough road matching the visuals and combat of this game.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: November 10, 2011, 04:24:22 AM »
Oh, and Eph, Sen's Fortress by Blacksmith Andre is the next place in the story progression.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: November 10, 2011, 04:27:26 AM »
Beat PCB.  Only took since 2008.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: November 10, 2011, 04:37:23 AM »
LA Noire: Finished the traffic beat. Almost perfected the last case - all clues found, and missed on the last question in interrogation. On to homicide!

Side note: Cole Phelps sure does kill a lot of guys.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: November 10, 2011, 05:51:12 PM »
Having been to both the 25th Anniversary Zelda Symphony and Distant Worlds in the last couple of weeks, I've had this desire to replay every Zelda/FF now. So, starting up an old challenge of mine: complete every Final Fantasy I-X, X-2 and XII within the space of 6 weeks! Playing most alongside a friend who's considering Distant Worlds next year (so, atm, FF6 is slow progress.) Started this on Monday~

FFI: Went with Fighter/Black Belt/White Mage/Black Mage. Never used a Black Belt before and OHGODTHEY'REINSANE. Spent some time grinding near Pravoka before going to Marsh Cave because fuck Marsh Cave. Still got stun-locked into hell and had to retreat out again and grind some more. At about Lv 14, I finally beat the place, swept Astos, got the TNT, went to Earth Cave and took out Vampire in two basic attacks - yay Black Belt for doing 300+. >_> Got the Rod, died on Lich. Heading back there again now~

FFVI: Started this one again, forgot some stuff but managed to get through Mt. Kolts with relative ease and reached the Returners Hideout. Got the Genji Glove because I wanted to see how the text changed if I refused to help, then went through Lete River. Died on Ultros once because I forgot to put Banon in the back row. Got to the path-split, went with Locke. Swept through South Figaro, Locke died in the first fight after getting outside. Siiigh. Went through with a dead Locke to the healing spring, fought TunnelArmr, died. Currently saved outside that cave.

FFIX: Just about started. Got through the play getting something like 80% approval. Stole the Mage Masher from Masked Man pretty quickly too, so I've better equipment than average atm. Struggled a little on Plant Brain - forgot how brutal FFIX early-game could be - got through the fight, but not until I'd used up all my Potions and Hi-Potions. Currently saved outside the Ice Cavern.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: November 10, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
FFVI: Started this one again, forgot some stuff but managed to get through Mt. Kolts with relative ease and reached the Returners Hideout. Got the Genji Glove because I wanted to see how the text changed if I refused to help, then went through Lete River. Died on Ultros once because I forgot to put Banon in the back row. Got to the path-split, went with Locke. Swept through South Figaro, Locke died in the first fight after getting outside. Siiigh. Went through with a dead Locke to the healing spring, fought TunnelArmr, died. Currently saved outside that cave.

You do realize that Duncan's house to the east of the cave has beds yo can sleep in for free for full healing, right?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
Presumably he did not. Not unreasonable, I didn't realise this my first time or two (don't recall which) through the game either. It is somewhat out of the way, and screw world maps.

That said, on a different game's note, being impressed with Black Belt on a team that has Fighter feels a bit off to me!

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: November 11, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
Being impressed with any PC on a team that has Fighter feels a bit off.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »
That was the general thrust of my comment, yes.

EDIT: Of course you neglect the possibility that it is perfectly valid to be impressed by a PC on a team with a Fighter. If that PC is another Fighter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:47:28 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: November 11, 2011, 12:50:41 AM »
Badumpisssssssssssssssssssh.

In fairness, you can also be impressed by Thief. Impressed by how fucking -awful- he is.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: November 11, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »
It's probably not the original FF1. I know I tend to forget the others because I like the overpowered fighter.

Pyromancy in Dark Souls feels meant to compliment melee builds while sorcery is the real pure mage option, that's why pyromancy needs a lesser stat investment (only a few points into attunement instead of attunement and intelligence)
On the other hand, you have to spend souls upgrading your hand, there are a lot of enemies who resist or are immune to fire and make that entire skillset useless, and you get way less spell charges. It is still pretty damn good.

Right now I'm doing everything before entering Sen's Fortress. I have a katana +7 (I like them more than rapiers) and a Hand +12. I can blaze through the game now... But I still don't know how to get some of those treasures in Blighttown. Ugh.

Meanwhile, my Miho in FM3 is becoming a goddess of grind. F rank in missiles. Let's see how far I can go.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:04:55 AM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: November 11, 2011, 01:02:45 AM »
Presumably he did not. Not unreasonable, I didn't realise this my first time or two (don't recall which) through the game either. It is somewhat out of the way, and screw world maps.

That was my fault for wording it like a moron, and I do apologize for that (to Yoshi, naturally); I meant it to be informative and not sure why I said it in a rather snide way.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: November 11, 2011, 01:41:46 AM »
Getting through FF12, period, in 6 weeks sounds like a pretty impressive achievement to me.  I think I completed that over the course of ~4 months or so.

On that note...  thinking about it, how fast do these games take to replay?  Not speedrunning - which can be slower in real time anyway due to dying on bosses and reloading a bunch - but just going through quickish and knowing where to go while not skipping much.
FF1 - 15-20 hours?
FF2 - ??
FF3 - 20-25 hours?  (Only know the DS version though.)
FF4 - 10-15 hours
FF5 - 15-20 hours
FF6 - 20 hours
FF7 - 20 hours
FF8 - 20-25 hours
FF9 - 20-25 hours
FF10 - 25 hours
FFX-2 - ???
FF12 - 60-75 hours

Would be my guesses, but curious to hear Yoshiken's final report in 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:52:32 AM by SnowFire »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:12 AM »
I'd think FF7-9 would be notably longer than FF6 just due to the fact that battles take longer due to animations, plot scenes are lengthier, etc.  I do know FF7's in-game clock is NOT 100% accurate, as it took me 3-4 hours to get through Midgar in real life time (this was in roughly one sitting), but the in-game clock claimed like 1 hour and 15 minutes.

FF10 I can't imagine being 25 hours.  The cutscenes alone take quite a while given you can't skip all the dialog, they're more involved than anything beforehand, and there's lack of scene skip.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2648 on: November 11, 2011, 02:52:48 AM »
You can beat FFX-2 really fast if you don't care at all about the plot (you shouldn't).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: November 11, 2011, 03:22:10 AM »
You can't sceneskip FFX, but you can speed the cutscenes up notably by cutting everyone off midsentence. FFX being slightly longer than anything previous but not remarkably so sounds about right.

I do know FF7's in-game clock is NOT 100% accurate, as it took me 3-4 hours to get through Midgar in real life time (this was in roughly one sitting), but the in-game clock claimed like 1 hour and 15 minutes.

That sounds like a bit of a fluky incident, or a glitch in your copy (or something from the PC version?). The FF7 clock has always being reasonably accurate for me, and was again when I watched Ciato's playthrough this year. I'm not saying the clock has no inaccuracies, but I've never detected anything despite watching for these things (I frequently play games for an hour at a time, and notice if the game clock doesn't line up with real life... hi Wild Arms 3), so I'd imagine any inaccuracies have to be either small (less than 10-15%) or rare.

Hm, now I find myself strangely tempted to try what Yoshi is doing except replace FF12 with FF13. It'd have to be some time when I have way too much free time though, since... even though I'd shoot for figures lower than what Snowfire is proposing, it's still going to be an average of 15~ hours per game (maybe a bit higher) times 12 is 180 hours which is over 4 hours a day... yeah, I really can't imagine when I'd have that free time. Maybe an August-September if September ends up bad for work! More likely I'd stretch it over 3 months.

On the other hand, screw playing FF4 a fifth time, it does not deserve that. FF8/FF9 I'd say similar things about except at least I'd be able to see if they've aged less terribly than I suspect they have.

Maybe.