Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267186 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2650 on: November 11, 2011, 03:42:19 AM »
He's playing Dawn of Souls. L14 sounds about right for beating Astos; whereas it's way too high a level for the NES version.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: November 11, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
On the other hand, an excuse to replay FF4:TAY squeeeeeeee.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: November 11, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
...Aaaaaactually I was playing FF1o. I just always overlevel like a bitch in early-FF1 because I fucking hate Marsh Cave.
As for Black Belt, the damage was insane at the point I was at, although yeah, Fighter did catch up over the next dungeon, and stayed on par for rest of game.

For the times, I fully expect FF2 and FFX-2 will take minimal time once I start playing. I plan to glitch out FF2, naturally (as though there's another way to play FF2~~~) and it's a pretty short game. FFX-2, I'm skipping all optional stuff, so it'll just be abusing the shit out of Pray to survive the early-game, with some Songstress grinding to get me late-game shenanigans. (X-2 is surprisingly difficult when played without optional stuff!) FF3 is shorter, for all that it'll be DS version. It's only really the early-game that's a challenge in FF3, and Garuda, and those aren't so bad with the right setups. (Except Garuda. That's tolerable with the right setups. Bloody Garuda.)

Anyways, progress~~
FFI: Complete! Got lost a couple of times, haha. Mostly finding places to land the Airship and figuring out where to get the Fairy. I always forget small parts like that. Had some trouble on the final dungeon too, so spent some time warping out whenever I was in trouble to heal up and save the experience. Eventually said "Fuck it" and went with a run where my White Mage died on Lich. Naturally, that was the winning run. >.>
FFIX: Going through the Ice Caverns now. At least this game gives you a nice stock of treasure! You damn well need it in the early-game. :(

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: November 11, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
Oh yeah, I didn't notice the level comment. Yeah, overlevelling will help Black Belt more than other classes in general.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: November 11, 2011, 04:57:44 PM »
On the other hand, screw playing FF4 a fifth time, it does not deserve that. FF8/FF9 I'd say similar things about except at least I'd be able to see if they've aged less terribly than I suspect they have.

Dooooo it. I want to watch them. =)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: November 11, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
And the vicious cycle of Elfiato gamewatching/playing continues.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: November 11, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure trying to convince Elfboy to playing FF8 and FF9 makes me a bad person.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:02:13 PM by Ciato »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: November 11, 2011, 05:56:32 PM »
Actually convincing him to do it would make you a rad person, though. And guarantee your passport to the fifth circle of hell.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: November 11, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
Dark Souls:

Completed Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo.  Fortress was pretty cool outside of running past the guillotines with lightning dudes shooting lightning bolts that do 1/4th health even blocked.  I didn't even know about the lower sections with the titanite demons. I always died when knocked off the edge.  I realized I had to kill the nuke thrower before fighting iron golem.  I tried going in as human for a change to summon some bros but I get invaded almost instantly by some jackass who's semi-transparent with a flaming giant sword. Got facestabbed.  Never change lagstabs.  Realized a lot of bosses are easy when you're up in their face, just have to dodge their grab attacks.

Anor Londo was another pretty cool place, lots of optional treasure you have to fight for and well spaced out bonfires.  Then came this fucking section after you pull a switch:

There's 2 giant stone knights and about 6 lightning imps, then you you have to dodge these two assholes firing spear arrows that kill me in two hits.  Block and the momentum sends you flying off the cliff.  Complete and total fucking bullshit. Die once and you have to kill all those assholes again.  You basically need to run like a madman and make two pixel perfect rolls to dodge the spears from the right archer and hope he jumps off the cliff.  Took me around 14 tries. 

The boss wasn't any fun either.  Dark Souls fights aren't really meant to be 2v1ed.  So naturally they put 2 bosses in one room and expect you to beat two life bars.  I get the feeling the game wants you to summon phantoms to help.  I tried summoning sunbro and as tanky as he is, he doesn't really do much damage and against 2 bosses that can take 80-90% of your health in one attack you better be perfect on your dodging.  I tried again with Sunbro and another internet phantom and I died in one hit to one of the silver spearmen.  My next attempt in summon I get griefed by another dark phantom using some invisible cheese and homing spells.  Finally my last remaining humanity I killed all the enemies up to the boss, and summoned two internet phantoms.  One of them was flipping around like a ninja, using fireballs that were doing 700 damage.  He had an golden aura around him.  Sunbros are the bestest bros ever.

After beating the boss I realized that there was a blacksmith, took my Zewihander and make into a Lightning Zewihander+3 and suddenly I'm doing double the damage. Killed the Hellkite Dragon in 3 hits. I want to use some good medium armor with good poise but everything puts me into >50% equip load.  Maybe if the onion armor wasn't so heavy I would totally run around in that.

How do I become a Sunbro? I've done around 6 or so Co-op runs when I help kill the boss.  My faith is only 14.  I have access to the Sunlight Altar, but I don't get any button impromt.  I'm currently in the Chaos Convenant to unlock the shortcut (to save Sunbro, of course), but when I'm done there it's totally Sunbroing to grind for some souls/humanity.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: November 11, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »
It's 50 Faith - (5x number of bosses you've helped other people kill).  So sounds like you need to be summoned twice more.  Then you can join at the Sunlight Altar.

Skyrim:  Pretty good.  Playing as an Imperial with a magic focus.  Although lockpicking is also fun.  I wear robes and shoot dual force lightning like the Emperor.

Level 4, cleared out the Barrow, now in Whiterun.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: November 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
DQ4 - So I wasn't going to do the cash grind in Taloon's chapter.  Then I was reading around the internet to just understand how it works (because I like to understand systems and how to break them).  So the internet says "Buy 99 Cautery swords!!!!!!" which is pretty close to answering the question "How do I make a million dollars in two weeks?" with "Pick up 2 million dollars!!!!!".

So anyway, Cautery Swords do not in fact mean dick to making cash in Taloon's chapter.  The correct answer is noting the fact that you sell items at your newly bought shop for 50% profit.  So in fact the answer is "Buy items from shops, sell them at your shop for a ludicrous mark up then purchase as many items as you see fit".  Cautery Swords do not even factor into this. Steel Broadswords or even just Astrea's Abacus will make you plenty of money.  Given the time frames it took me to actually GET the Cautery Sword I would have made money cap and buiyng 99 of a bunch of stuff just using either of those items depending if I felt like leaving Endor or not.

Cautery Swords are damned useful for making a ton of cash in one hit though.  They are a question of time efficiency depending on just how much cash you want to make in Chapter 5.  The answer to the question of how do I make a bunch of cash to transfer over in Taloon's Chapter very fast is not "Buy 99 Cautery Swords though" since buy/sell profit ratios are exactly the same no matter what items you use.

That said, if you have Cautery Sword unlocked?  Yeah you can make a lot of cash off it pretty quick.  You just spend a long arse time actually unlocking that shit, so it is by no means the fast way to do it.

Started Meena and Maya chapter.  Nice to see the chapter about 2 chicks still doesn't pass the Bechdel test within a few minutes.  Chapter about 2 chicks?  Yeah all about chasing after a guy for killing their father.  Lets see if we ever get some dialogue between them just about stuff.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: November 11, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
Dark Souls:
 Finally my last remaining humanity I killed all the enemies up to the boss, and summoned two internet phantoms.  One of them was flipping around like a ninja, using fireballs that were doing 700 damage.  He had an golden aura around him.  Sunbros are the bestest bros ever.

Hahaha, that was entirely possibly me since I have that same setup.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
Bahamut's normal physical attack - 16000
Bahamut's overdrive - 3500

Sign you're doing something right with your FFX playthrough. (Yeah, not using aeon physicals for maingame opponents.)

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2663 on: November 12, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
Alternately, Elfboy should play all the Ivalice games in 6 weeks. FFT/Vagrant Story should be quick just from experience... FF12 is a slow one, so that'd take some effort to do quickly. FFTA/2 have lots of bonus missions you can skip. FF12RW would actually be a new experience for the Elf. I'd pay to see his kneejerk reactions there.

Playing games~
FFTA2 (surprise surprise)
Moogle/Nu Mou team is having issues, so I let a Viera and Luso into the main team so that I can actually kill things. Running a Moogle Knight, 2 Juggler/Time Mage Moogles, Sage/Time Mage Nu Mou, Bloodprice Summoner Viera (of course), and Paladin/Blue Mage Luso (eventual goal is Magick Frenzy Illusionist Luso). Adelle is a Dual-Wielding Ninja for when she's forced. Go go Auction abuse!

Plants vs. Zombies
Hey I finally beat the main adventure mode for this. Awesometastic ending song, better than Portal. I feel like I should have beat this sooner, but due to phone changes/false starts/playing on other people's systems/restarting to show the game off to friends, I'd never actually beaten it. Now that I have, I'm playing with all the mini-games and Zen Garden trying to buy all the cool stuff so I can play it again. Best part of the game are the bios for each Plant and Zombie unit. Tower Defense games... I <3 U.

Makes me want to replay Crystal Defenders! (Hey that's ALSO an Ivalice game that Elf should play!)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: November 12, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure trying to convince Elfboy to playing FF8 and FF9 makes me a bad person.

Aren't you already a super villain?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: November 12, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
Alternately, Elfboy should play all the Ivalice games in 6 weeks.

Given that there is exactly one game in the Ivalice series I know I like, and would be utterly stunned if I ended up enjoying more than half of them, I don't think I'll be doing that.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: November 12, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
I veto watching FFTA1, FF12, and VS.

Meeple: No, I love sugar, sunshine, and rainbows.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2667 on: November 12, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
Hey, watching VS is probably perfectly fun.  Everything the game does right without slamming into the learning wall.

Watching FFTA or FFXII is of course identical to actually playing them.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: November 12, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
Having watched people learning the game, no, no it is not fun.

EDIT: Well, watching the block puzzles was okay. The combat, though? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2669 on: November 12, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
Hey, don't blame me for trusting you to actually figure out the system better than 95% of players.

That said, obviously you should instead marathon Kingdom Hearts games *nod*
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: November 12, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
If you want to watch someone who knows it play it then I am down for that >_>

Edit - Not that I can vouch for it being particularly fun to watch even if I avoid the equipment grind that I enjoy.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: November 12, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
I don't want to watch it ever. >_>

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: November 13, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
Skyrim:  I am walking through the wilderness so I can get to Hogwarts.  Then this cat-person assassin attacks me without provocation.  Upon killing it, I find a note on its body saying there is a contract out on me.  This is awesome.

I have also gotten far enough with a certain group to have developed a problem with body hair.  Also awesome.

I have yet to actually fight the first dragon yet because I am too busy doing sidequests to bother with plot progression.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: November 13, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
FF13 - Almost have a full party, yeah yeah~

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: November 13, 2011, 01:50:45 AM »
I tried going in as human for a change to summon some bros but I get invaded almost instantly by some jackass who's semi-transparent with a flaming giant sword. Got facestabbed.

<3
To beat the Anor Londo archers, run to the one on the right, he'll switch to swords, then the rest is easy. It's worked everytime for me since the 20 resets first time through.

I've been really inspired by Dark Souls PVP videos.
- Attacking with the dragonslayer bow in the crystal cave to make people fall in bottomless pits
- Hiding behind enemies then using the trident special attack to boost them
- Vase vs Vase fights
- Going near NPCs to make the invaded player attack them
- Equipping the same equimpment as an NPC and going to his exact point to throw people into confusion
- Etc

I've gotten every pyromancy spell with the dude who burned my gym, they look nice but they're not helping in PVP.
Decided to restart again a fifth character as a pure melee character who's going to collect and be able to equip possibly every item in the game, and with 14 int for chameleon. Started as an archer, bows are pretty slow and bad right now, crossbows look great though. (but more expensive)