Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 267170 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #2675 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »
SW:TOR-  Okay, BioWare.  You have won.  I've played a lot of games and I can say that I have finally played an MMO that is actually better than WoW.  It does this by basically being KOTOR but online and you and your friends can play together, which is exactly what I wanted it to be.

I'm going to play a Smuggler at retail, so I'm not playing one now even though the Smuggler is Bender.  Instead I made a Jedi cause that's like... at the end of my priorities.  And even THAT is awesome as fuck.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2676 on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »
Page 108 of the Games topic, time to talk about Suikoden!

So in other news, my best friend Crystal had gotten her prize possessions (the 6 Suikoden titles that were released in the States) stolen from her about 4 years ago. Today, she retrieved them from the thief at swordpoint, literally.

Also, there seems to be a Suikoden Let's Play Megathread going on over at SA, and there hasn't been a page of it yet that hasn't bashed SuikoTierkreis. Honestly, while there certainly -is- a lot to bash, I'm kind of sad that no one seems to have noticed that it actually has a good plot and a well-rounded, likable main character. Suiko3 also seems to be getting lots of bashing for being -different-. *boggles*

Since these two events have coincided so nicely, Crystal and I picked up Suiko1 to play along with the LP. Currently at the "whoops, killed Odessa" part. Sad, should have taken stat notes.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: November 13, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »
Pretty sure there are 7 Suikoden games released in the states actually!

Anyway, the type of Suikoden fans who bash 3 (who incidentally are scientifically proven to be awful human beings) also dislike Tierkreis for exactly the same reasons, IT IS DIFFERENT. All games in the series can and must be judged by how much they are trying to be Suikoden 1-2. I'm surprised you haven't run into these people before.

They're less common than they used to be but still no less frustrating.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2678 on: November 13, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
There were only 6 four years ago!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: November 13, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »
See I'm assuming your friend was badass enough to have invented time travel.

You disappoint me.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: November 13, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
Djinn and disappointment pretty much walk hand in hand. </mean>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 13, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
*backhands Snow* No dissing Djinn when he is encouraging Suikoden playing. 

HoD: Up to 50 kills on Astarte (The vast majority of these are local coop, so more like 140 in practice), still no Miser ring. On the bright side, I finally got a berserker mail! I got two in a row in fact. Hopefully that luck will extend to miser rings.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: November 13, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
If his friend was cutting bitches to get back her Suikollection, I think she'd hardly need encouragement -anyway-.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: November 13, 2011, 05:07:35 PM »
Pretty sure there are 7 Suikoden games released in the states actually!

Anyway, the type of Suikoden fans who bash 3 (who incidentally are scientifically proven to be awful human beings) also dislike Tierkreis for exactly the same reasons, IT IS DIFFERENT. All games in the series can and must be judged by how much they are trying to be Suikoden 1-2. I'm surprised you haven't run into these people before.

They're less common than they used to be but still no less frustrating.

They're definitely there, yeah.  Someone tried to question how I could possibly like Tierkries more than Suikoden 2, and I gave my reasons (not gonna get into why), and he's like "THAT'S ALL STUPID!" 

Its amazing how people will defend WEAPON FORGING!!!! as a hugely innovative, amazing system and how "fun" it is looking for hammers (...cause checking a FAQ to find x location of y hammer to make your weapons suck less is such a huge quest?), and fail to understand how someone can say that its not really that good.  I'd get into specifics but yes, I do think Tierkries using FF3 Style weapons > Suikoden forging.  Now if Suikoden forging was like WA3's...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: November 13, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
I think I've seen DL Suikoden time travel plot before >_>

FF13 - Almost have a full party, yeah yeah~

Ciato is Snow? =)

Devil May Cry 3- Finished/Normal Mode cleared. After a few close fights and lots of getting my ass kicked over and over I eventually managed to keep a good run going against the final boss and won =) My set up was Trickster L3, Ebony/Ivory, Kalina Ann, Rebellion and Beowulf. Pretty much stuck with Beowulf as the weapon though and made good use of Trickster to win the fight. No items used so I received an S rank for Mission 20. My first one of the game, I so happy/Quina ^_~

Mission 19 ... Yeah. Screw trying to be fair there. He doesn't deserve it, as a character or as a boss =P  I managed to get him into the second half of the fight a few times without using items and eventually decided after always running out of continues that managing the first half of the fight was good enough. He is cheap in the second half, very cheap. Maybe as cheap as SO3 Freya =P Deserves no mercy~

I thus finished off the second to last boss with the Holy Waters I'd hoarded through the game - all two of them >_>

It is probably possible/not impossible to defeat this boss without items eventually but I didn't have the patience for it at this time and just wanted to clear the game. Perhaps one day I might suffer through an eternity of continues and win this fight through sheer luck or something. I don't even want to think about it on harder difficulties though.

Nevermind, back to Mission 20 was awesme. Oh and I has shirtless Dante~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
FF13- Chapter 11! Playing as Lightning, Snow and Vanille are supporting me~ Why is this game not a straight line anymore, haha~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: November 13, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
It actually still is, just with large spaces. Like a string of ass beads.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55:36 PM »
A lovely metaphor for how most games are designed.

Maybe.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
The unfortunate thing about the Suikoden Megathread is that the guy doing it seems to loathe Suikoden 2 as one of the worst games ever, but I suppose we'll see what happens.

I've been playing the translation of Langrisser IV recently, it's a pretty neat game.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: November 13, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »
SA, bashing things. Pick two.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: November 14, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »
The unfortunate thing about the Suikoden Megathread is that the guy doing it seems to loathe Suikoden 2 as one of the worst games ever, but I suppose we'll see what happens.

I've been playing the translation of Langrisser IV recently, it's a pretty neat game.

Isn't Langrisser 4 for Saturn? I'd be interested in trying that out!

Also, S2 doesn't really deserve the hatred, for all that its pacing isn't very good. Did a fair bunch of things to move the series forward+has a strong plotline. I -really- wish its translation didn't hurt the writing so badly, since writing usually is half the reason to play a Suiko. Even S3, whose writing also suffered a fair bit from translation (not very nuanced) pulled off some great lines in general.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: November 14, 2011, 12:41:41 AM »
Nanami is the fucking worst. Loses 3 points for her alone.  End of line.

Speaking of LPs, the BT LP is coming up on one million views, I noticed today. I was recently accused of using my "cult of personality" to rally "no-name posters" in a vote. It was very silly.

also: Skyrim! I'm not very far but the game has so far captured being high in the mountains, because it's freezing cold in my house and on my TV, it is white enough it kind of hurts your eyes in 1080p.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:59:37 AM by Rob the Stampede »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2692 on: November 14, 2011, 01:28:58 AM »
Cult of personality? BT LP? Whut?

Plants vs. Zombies: My Zen Garden is the envy of all who see it. (2nd Life playthrough)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 14, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »
Cult of personality? BT LP? Whut?

I assume the Battletech LP on SA.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 14, 2011, 01:45:24 AM »
The best LP. I'm in this time, which is cool. Line is fucking long and a half.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 14, 2011, 05:22:27 AM »

Isn't Langrisser 4 for Saturn? I'd be interested in trying that out!

Also, S2 doesn't really deserve the hatred, for all that its pacing isn't very good. Did a fair bunch of things to move the series forward+has a strong plotline. I -really- wish its translation didn't hurt the writing so badly, since writing usually is half the reason to play a Suiko. Even S3, whose writing also suffered a fair bit from translation (not very nuanced) pulled off some great lines in general.

There was a version for Saturn, but this one is for PSX.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »
Langrisser 4? Neph, May I ask what is the build of your team? What what route you are planning?

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
FF13- Chapter 11! Playing as Lightning, Snow and Vanille are supporting me~ Why is this game not a straight line anymore, haha~

Yaay~

Early Imperil/ga, Poison/ga, Deshell/ga, Deprotect/ga + Curaja are the bestest. Vanille also gets Fog/Pain Chapter 11 I think =)

Oh and STEELGUARD!!!

Need any help with equipment/weapon choices for enhancing roles/etc just ask =) Haste type and atb advantage/initiative accessories are worth noting if the lack of a SYN is seriously hurting at all but otherwise liberal use of SAB/Curaja and STEELGUARD should be fine. There are shrouds for bosses if needed/you have any left too~

RH- Aht/Stocke solo/duoish. Started this while thinking about which new games to play. L4 Stocke vs Granorgites isn't working =( There are options -

*Try using Rosch as a decoy/bait to give Stocke more breathing space to do stuff - he has more HP before KO than Raynie/Marco! (they have 1HPs >_>)

*Level up =(

*Switch to a LLG w/th team until Aht joins

*Use Raynie solo/duoish instead until Aht joins (she has magics!/probably does moar damage than Stocke)

*Hope I get lucky and manage to sleep two targets at once w/th my sole Sleep Wing via Change shenanigans/letting Marco or Raynie be useful before they fall.

Edit - Bah Raynie doesn't even -have- magic yet. Silly mes.

*Need better healing items as well - Soothing Balms aren't cutting it =(

Edit 2 - Wow. A combination of 5 + 6 would have actually worked if more Healing Herbs or something had been there. Forgot about the Healing Herb in the mine. Picked that up. Finally managed to sleep two Light Granorgs at once w/th Left Assault > Sleep Wing. Power Wave > Healing Herb > Power Wave for the remaining front liner (Power Wave is a 2HKO w/th L4 Stocke + Custom Sword/Charm x 3 >_>) Then I was heal locked by the archers/middle enemy =( Managed to somehow get in a Poison Wing in between Soothing Balms then an Attack later to finish off the middle enemy at least but the archers finished Stocke off =(

Edit 3 - Yaay. Lazvil Hills merchant sells First Aid Kits + Sleep Wings. Sleep Wing success x 2 with a well placed First Aid Kit, Power Waves, Healing Herb and Poison Wings/Attack won it~
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:29:45 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 14, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
I gave Lightning a Start: Protect accessory for one boss. Snow has Protect/(working on Shell) and doesn't have a problem having one crappy Synergist equipped because one of his roles is basically unused. So I have a plan for P/S if I absolutely need it. I tried controlling Vanille instead of Lightning, but I wasn't very good at it. Too much having to be a healer! Or something. Though there are certainly times when I'd like to control the healer a bit more.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 14, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »
FF Challenge~

FFVI: Complete! Spent a loooooong time playing this the other day (and when I say long time, I mean, like, 20 hours, which is the longest I've ever played a game in one sitting. >.>) Got through the Sabin sequence easily, blitzed Narshe, taking out everything in the tower defence sequence. Took a team of Celes/Edgar/Sabin/Locke to Zozo/the Magitek Factory and actually managed to beat the boss in the minecart first try, despite usually having some trouble with it. Oh, actually, lost to Ultros in the Opera House once, thinking on it. Turns out, my party was killed completely by Tentacle, heh. Honestly, not much to talk about here for a fair while until.. I think one loss on AtmaWeapon and then WoR~
Got Sabin back, lost once to Tentacles before getting Edgar back, lost once to Dullahan before getting Setzer back. Went straight to grab Mog and Moogle Charm, then fought the Niteshade before grabbing Gau and the Niteshade Rage. Got Terra by using Charm on Phunbaba, then got Gogo. Attempted Kefka's Tower, but Mog's team got destroyed by the first set of randoms, so went off to train a little against bosses. Took out the dragon in Narshe, then got Tritoch and Terrato along with Umaro. Went to Zozo and grabbed Cyan because there were no enemies with Moogle Charm. Also took out a Storm Dragon along the way. Went and got Shadow as well, then beat DoomGaze by sheer chance. Decided I'd raid the Ancient Castle for items and Odin, then finally went back to Kefka's Tower. After getting through to Atma with Gau's team, I saved and healed up, Charming bosses along the way until... oh. Celes/Gogo/Setzer vs. Inferno. This fight was BRUTAL. Took 13 tries before I finally won by getting a little luck and some VERY conservative play. (Spamming X-Potions with Celes/Setzer while Gogo managed to hit the main body with Charm on the first turn~) Goddesses didn't prove a problem for the two teams with Charm, while the third took a little grinding and some electric immunity to beat. Kefka himself, I lost to twice. First time, I got to the third form, where both Gau/Gogo Charmed the healing section, allowing the offensive section to absolutely destroy me because I was hideously underlevelled. Second time, I took out both hands in the first form before the head, meaning the Quake final attack was enough to kill me. Third time, I made sure to take out the head first, second form wasn't a threat, third form had both parts Charmed, and the final is never a threat with Charm. Whee~

FFVII: Started this~ I'm used to speed-running FFVII, so I'm currently sitting before the Sample fight at 1:45 on the in-game clock. I should be out of Midgar in about 2 hours, which means I'm slightly behind my average time overall. (Yeah, I record FFVII times because I keep doing HDINS challenges.)

FFIX: Had to gain an extra level or two, but managed to beat Black Waltz #1. Got through to Dali, but didn't get much time to play, so just got everyone to go back to the inn and saved there. (In other words, about to go underground to find Vivi~)

On the whole, I'm very slightly ahead of schedule. Basic idea is that I need to beat two games a week, and I started this last Monday, so managed it just in time by beating FFVI yesterday. Having started FFIX and FFVII means I'm ahead, yay. (I actually feel more comfortable having started a few games than being further in one, since the intro sections tend to be the biggest time-wasters.)