Author Topic: Good Morning 2011: Wherein the emo comes to roost  (Read 95544 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning 2011: Wherein the emo comes to roost
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Long story short, apparently my mom got word from my dad that I'm continuing my search here in Canada for a job, but neither of them are happy about it because being in Canada at a low level position = bad salary ranges + low prospects of going anywhere. Mom is not convinced that the experience is worth the hassle so she and my dad just told me to study and pass instead of spending full time looking for a job so I can go back to Hong Kong instead. I still have to write the cover letters, but I'm not allowed to do the things my friend told me that helped him find a job here. I don't get my parents. Like at all sometimes.

And yes, while I can disagree with them and look for a job here instead, I really would rather not piss them off. Not to mention they are paying for mostly everything at the moment so I guess I can't complain much. But still, I am slightly annoyed (and frustrated) at this factoid. I thought the original plan was to look for a job here, failing that THEN going back to Hong Kong. Now you're telling me to just give up and don't bother so I have to go back to Hong Kong? Come on.

OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS: Happy Birthday NEB :). Have a good one!
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
They may love and support you, but your parents shouldn't make the decisions for you. If you want to stay in canada, do so and tell them you're an adult.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Idun

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
Go back to Hong Kong? NO. (No?)

How long have you been job searching? Have you told them what you want?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »

Long story short, apparently my mom got word from my dad that I'm continuing my search here in Canada for a job, but neither of them are happy about it because being in Canada at a low level position = bad salary ranges + low prospects of going anywhere. Mom is not convinced that the experience is worth the hassle so she and my dad just told me to study and pass instead of spending full time looking for a job so I can go back to Hong Kong instead. I still have to write the cover letters, but I'm not allowed to do the things my friend told me that helped him find a job here. I don't get my parents. Like at all sometimes.

If they're not funding you, piss them off and do what the fuck you -intend- to. Your life isn't theirs.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
They may love and support you, but your parents shouldn't make the decisions for you. If you want to stay in canada, do so and tell them you're an adult.

I've told them more than once. The adult argument tends not to work out in my favour since they'll proceed to name the things that I haven't done or cannot do or how I can't even pay rent after I get a job, etc. In other words, arguing that route = shit gets real. I have officially come to terms that my parents do not really care what I think when it comes to important life decisions.

How long have you been job searching? Have you told them what you want?

I've been looking for a job since last year around this time. So a full year or so? Granted, half of that period was spent pure studying so maybe like 6 months. It still doesn't look good on your resume when there's a giant blank spot between years. But yeah, I even told them, it isn't that I won't go back to Hong Kong; I want to get my CA certification FIRST before going back. Apparently though this is a huge hurdle seeing as how I haven't gotten much in terms of replies at all. It's also annoying because I have the qualifications and education but I still can't find a simple junior job. Parents being restless is just amping up my own frustration and stress levels.

If they're not funding you, piss them off and do what the fuck you -intend- to. Your life isn't theirs.

If you mean funding as in currently funding, they are doing that. If you mean funding as in will they fund me to go back to Hong Kong, the answer is yes. Including the fact that they will probably buy a flat for me, which I can use for myself. So it's a pretty big deal.

Again, I understand where they're coming from, but the shit my dad gets away with sometimes (not to mention the fact that this is his FAVOURITE topic to talk about during dinner/lunch so every time I eat I have to hear it and it makes me sick) including some really hurtful comments (which doesn't help the situation. Oh and  he does this often) is driving me to the end of my fucking rope. I can't blow him off without having some massive family fiasco blow back up in my face, so this really is just an endurance trial of seeing how long I go before I explode, run into the freezing winter night and wind up in a ditch somewhere. Talking about it with him is around as useful trying to cut wood with a nail clipper.

Sorry, I need to vent :|.

More importantly, Everyone learns now why people want to move out! More news at 11. I'll get through it eventually, even if I don't like it. I'm just going stark raving mad around now.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Idun

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »
Just woke up to a pitbull in my backyard.

Pic later. She's so adorable. Went around the neighborhood three times trying to find its home (asking neighbors, etc) but to no avail. I can't keep her. I don't like how fast AC euthanizes animals, but I suppose I have to call. With two puppies, I certainly can't keep her financially.

So many people were trying to buy her off of me, and I ain't selling someone else's dog for profit.

Idun

« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
I dunno. This is some kind of bulldog/pitbull, whatever. Good thing is: we found the family's house. (:

Whoops. Large image was really large. *Edit, again . . hm...

What! Not their dog! Oh no. Time for more looking. I thought my mom found them. ):
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:44:30 PM by Idun »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
jesus christ pitbulls are so ugly

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
Having had a cousin had mongrels like that one for ages, they can be dopey looking, but yeah can be really nice dogs.  Have the advantage if they aren't absolutely psychotic of being a relatively easier to look after dog than something with skin folds that can be a health risk for such animals (especially in local climate and whatnot).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Where everyone else in the company is frozen at a 2% raise, I get a flat amount that equals approximately 6.5%. Woo!

I am utterly amazed how quickly work has turned around. I hold no illusions that this can't also go back the other way, but for now... sweeeeeet.

ETA: Raise was from the CEO this time, instead of via my manager/head of department. That makes it slightly weird. But hey. And I'm still underpaid, but getting closer all the time! Another 5-10% would put me in the "reasonable for my job duties" range. But I've only been here 1.5 years and, unsolicited and outside of performance reviews and despite freezing company salaries outside job changes*, I've gotten a 10% and a ~6% raise... eh.

*I don't doubt that they have other "secret" raises for people that are also outside of the purported company-salary-freeze, but whatever.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:19:00 AM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
Car broken into right after I post about good stuff?

Sounds like everything's normal here!

Grumble. They broke the driver's side window (nope, again not the window that's already broken), stole a bunch of documents from the center console, stole Andrew's leather jacket, riffled around in the trunk, and -left the GPS on the front seat-. I just don't even.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:32:36 PM by Lady Door »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »
Is this where you curse Oakland?

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »

And yes, while I can disagree with them and look for a job here instead, I really would rather not piss them off. Not to mention they are paying for mostly everything at the moment so I guess I can't complain much. But still, I am slightly annoyed (and frustrated) at this factoid. I thought the original plan was to look for a job here, failing that THEN going back to Hong Kong. Now you're telling me to just give up and don't bother so I have to go back to Hong Kong? Come on.

OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS: Happy Birthday NEB :). Have a good one!

Thing about Canada is that it's actually not that hard to get a reasonably well-paying job.  Everyone is educated due to the immigration policies, which means that jobs like Electrician and Plumber actually pay quite well (thanks to supply and demand).

Granted, I don't doubt that Hong Kong salaries might be higher--people have become millionaires off of Hong Kong taxi driver salaries.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
Is this where you curse Oakland?

No, see, that's the funny part -- both times we've had problems, it's been in Berkeley, not Oakland. Oakland has been perfectly safe.

To be fair to Berkeley, this is definitely the shadier part of town in that it's a few blocks from the train tracks and the freeway. However, it's also at a hotel, in the parking lot, which has a security patrol. So who knows.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
MC: While it is likely true, I don't seem to have the connections necessary. So the chance of finding a job in Ontario (I should specify. Stating "Canada" implies all provinces. Other parts of Canada are likely better) that will eventally pay more probably isn't that high. Even now, I'm not demanding a high salary at all for an entry level position and I still can't seem to get hired. So yeah, facts probably line up with what you're saying. But I can definitely understand the disillusion my parents (and to an extent myself) are going through.

The bigger reason about why my parents want me to go back to Hong Kong (and not just regarding salary ranges) is the advancement. The asian culture just places more emphasis on education, so someone with a Masters degree (like myself) will be promoting a lot easier (and faster) than others. Also helps that the taxes there aren't Ontario's and to an extent, Canada's overall rates. I was having dinner with some friends just this week and we were discussing how Hong Kong's maximum tax bracket is something like 18%. Meanwhile Federal taxes in Canada has a minimum of like 15% last I checked before factoring in Provincial taxes. In short, if you're going to get paid 50k here versus 50k there, you are likely better off there (barring the exchange rate being extremely unfavourable and what not) since you get more of what you earn in your pocket.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:31:37 PM by Tide »
<@Claude> yahtzee

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »
Tide, if you want to immigrate to WV, there's a business/financial position at the school they're looking to fill! 

Not sure if that helps or not ;_;
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:36 PM »
Tide: I read your post and generally just find myself shaking my head on the focus on money. The argument mostly just seems to be "well, I move to X I'll be able to get more money" which... eh. I just don't think is something that's very important unless you have very specific plans that rely on it (like, if you want to travel to 100 different countries before you die... even then this may cost less than I assume <.<). Fundamentally it's much more important that you're doing something and generally living in a way that makes you happy with your life. I suspect it's probably too late to change your parents' minds on this one (love of money for its own sake is sadly one that our culture buys into) so I mostly just aim these comments squarely at you as something to keep in mind.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:26 AM »
Tide: I read your post and generally just find myself shaking my head on the focus on money.

Pretty sure the point of accounting is to focus on money <_<
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Idun

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:59 AM »
Just got accepted into a graduate school. Unofficial notice through an e-mail! Hell yeah! They're hoping they can give me a 25% assistantship with a tuition waiver. WHAT. I might also be able to afford it? *FIST PUMP*

At least I know I can get into at least *one* I've applied to.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »
Congratulations!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
Where be it?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Idun

« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
University of Illinois in UC.

I have seven left to go. *sweats*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
So, you'd move to Tally-chuland.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
Tide: I read your post and generally just find myself shaking my head on the focus on money. The argument mostly just seems to be "well, I move to X I'll be able to get more money" which... eh. I just don't think is something that's very important unless you have very specific plans that rely on it (like, if you want to travel to 100 different countries before you die... even then this may cost less than I assume <.<). Fundamentally it's much more important that you're doing something and generally living in a way that makes you happy with your life. I suspect it's probably too late to change your parents' minds on this one (love of money for its own sake is sadly one that our culture buys into) so I mostly just aim these comments squarely at you as something to keep in mind.

Yeah, I'm definitely in that camp myself. As I told my sister, I rather live a life where I'm happy but not rich then the reverse. She agrees too. I do wonder if this is more of the 'Western mentality' since I see Asian cultures still focus more on money and status as far superior. On the other hand? I definitely see where they are coming from. My dad grew up in a time when he was very poor and he and his brother had to find ways to manage through poor living conditions and lack of food. So, the fact that they place such an emphasis on money is certainly understandable to me. I certainly wouldn't want my kids (if and when I have kids) to go through that experience so I don't blame them for that style of thinking. The passive aggressiveness has to go regardless since it just makes communicating between us harder. I know he wants the best for me, but the approach just drives me up the wall sometimes.

I think I'll eventually move back to Hong Kong, but as I've told Super/OK on Skype a few times, it's not before I get my license and experience. What really irked me before was that my mom and dad presented the situation in a way to say that I should just give up on working in Canada. It wasn't even, "well if you tried for a bit and you can't, then consider going back". If I want career advancement (which is quite possible later down the line) then I want most of the stuff in Canada to be done and have a neat ribbon wrapped on top of it. Not so that I won't come back, but so that I don't have to worry about it halfway across the world. Plus that's just a waste of my co-op hours and experience in getting my designation.

Pretty sure the point of accounting is to focus on money <_<

Haha! This is funny because it is true.

Tide, if you want to immigrate to WV, there's a business/financial position at the school they're looking to fill! 

Not sure if that helps or not ;_;

I appreciate the heads-up OK, but unfortunately it doesn't help solve the dilemma of getting CA hours at an accredited training office :(. Also, well...see below. PS: When you get a chance, send me back my resume/cover letter. I really appreciate it since it would still be important for the future.

On a much more positive note:
I managed to get in touch with my old employers after seeking out one of my University friends for advice. He told me that should be the first place I look in regards to employment. So I did and it turns out that I dropped in at an impecable time as their current intern is consider leaving to go a big firm. Long story short, I came to an agreement with one of the Partners today and will begin work on February 7th. Thus, this renders all that whining and bitching largely useless. I feel like this is a repeating pattern in my life where I must first bitch in order for something to happen. I should test this theory.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:52:06 PM by Tide »
<@Claude> yahtzee

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
Congrats!