Author Topic: Elfboy's 2010 Game Retrospectives  (Read 9427 times)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
Re: Elfboy's 2010 Game Retrospectives
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:22 AM »
The only problem with Voltorb Flip is that Gamefreak inexplicibly removed the ability to purchase coins at the same time they removed slots. I much prefer spending time on Voltorb Flip to Slots, but I'm not willing to spend enough time on -either- to actually get a 10K TM. On the other hand I managed to scrape together enough cash to buy a Thunderbolt TM for Raikou in time for the Elite Four back when I played jp Heart Gold even though I forgot about mom's bank completely until the aftergame.

HGSS utilizes Platinum's speedimprovements engine-wise and I personally prefer the 210 Sinnoh dex over the "Johto dex" for availability, but compared to DP the comments are fair and I won't blame anyone for passing on buying the blatant cash grabs that are third versions. I wouldn't have played Plat myself if it weren't for piracy.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 02:18:48 AM »
Yeah, I certainly wish I had waited for Platinum, as it does sound like it addresses a bunch of my concerns with DP, but I'm not willing to shell out cash for two versions of gen 4 on principle.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:58 AM »
8. Suikoden Tierkreis (Nintendo DS, Konami, 2009)

Suikoden Tierkreis is a strange game. By any metric the reception for the game was quite positive: the DL almost universally gives it above average scores, it reviewed fairly well for a modern non-mainstream RPG, and scores well on things like the GameFAQs rating average... but if you didn't know better, you'd get the impression the game was decried. It changes up some things of the Suikoden formula, earning it the ire of certain vocal elements within the Suikoden fandom. Said elements are not great in number, but they are loud. Granted, one of my favourite games ever, Suikoden III, was the subject of a similar situation. Tierkries obviously can't compare to III's brilliance in my mind, but it was certainly an enjoyable game nonetheless.

It's a Suikoden, which means you play it for two things: a cast of 108 stars that is hopefully at least somewhat distinct, and, more importantly, being one of the few series in the medium that consistently delivers stories that are actually outright, unequivocably good. In both areas, Tierkreis is a success, and as such merits inclusion in any discussion of the good games in the series. The characters are quite well-fleshed out, and if they can't match III for the sheer number you care about, there was still at least two or three dozen I cared, and quite a few endearing bit characters. Favourites included a very enjoyable fresh take on the Suikoden strategist, a doctor disturbingly enthusiastic about his research, an oracle who is almost certainly faking her melodramatic prophesies for a good show, and a main character who actually -talks- and interacts well with the people he meets.

The story is also a good one, and the best I've seen in a video game since... oh, Suikoden V, four years previous. While the game does leave behind the main world of the previous Suikodens, it takes full advantage of this to write a story which is a refreshing take on the old formula. Without getting too far into spoiler territory, I'll just say that the game provides a story with several compelling different viewpoints, an antagonist who gives religious fundamentalism probably the most real (and hence frightening) portrayal it has ever seen in a video game, and one gut-wrenching twist which is played very well. And all throughout, the game is well-written, the text seeming like something that could actually be seen in a novel or good movie without you closing the book or walking out of the theatre with a laugh. The fact that the story is only around a median effort for the series says more about the series to me; it does fall a bit short in a few minor areas, but the overall effort is something I have little but praise for.

So with all that gushing about the game's story and characters, why is it only halfway up this list? Well, simply: it's a video game, and games are meant to be played. Suikodens have never been primarily about gameplay, and Tierkreis makes no effort to buck this trend, or even match the best games in the series in this aspect. The game is brutally easy, even by series standards, and also quite simple, so it's not as if the easieness is wasting a wonderful system. Despite this there's a fair bit of combat to be had in the game, with a fair number of reasonable-length dungeons to navigate, so unlike some pure plot games, the boring gameplay does get in the way some. It's not as bad as it could be, fortunately, with how short DS load times are, as well as one particular support PC who can instantly kill any underlevelled randoms with a half-second animation. And the game -does- have some new ideas over past Suikodens which are quite fun, and I'd probably appreciate them more in a game with more battles worth caring about.

How much one enjoys Tierkreis will mostly be a product of how one feels about games being played just for story. My biases are towards gameplay, which keeps Tierkreis from being near the top of this list. However, for story, it's not only the best game I've played this year, but the best game I've played in the last four years, and certainly one I'll think back fondly on for a long time due to this.

The good: A well-written story populated by some good characters and fresh ideas
The bad: Battles and particularly their challenge level
The ugly: Unwinnable plot fights against antagonists who are inevitably jokes when you fight 'em for real

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 06:04:15 AM »
Hey, the final boss was a decent fight at least~

Also: No mention of the fact that you don't get the much-needed 'Run' option until roughly 3/5 through the game and it's an easy-to-miss optional treasure box accessory that has to be equipped to work?

I <3 SuiTier, but damn that part makes me bitter.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »
I guess I didn't feel it was much-needed (and I feel obliged to point out that a certain easy-to-get recruit also acts as an auto-run just for being recruited, and he's gotten before the only large dungeons in the game). I liked it when I got it well enough, but honestly the normal walking speed isn't even the slowest in the series or especially noteworthy in its speed in general to me.

The final is fine, yeah.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES, Nintendo, 1995)

I debated whether this game should even be on this list. Some background, here: I played the game together with my best friend back when it first came out, switching off level-by-level (possibly life-by-life too, I don't recall). However, we didn't finish it (had to stop at the last world) and of course there was a bunch of stuff I didn't play personally. With those two facts in mind, and the fact that I remembered virtually nothing about the game 15 years later, my 2010 "replay" of the game was enough of a new experience to count for this list, I think.

Anyway, Mario World 2 is, after all, a 2D Mario game, and obviously I'm a pretty big fan of those. And in principle I'm a pretty big fan of the game. After the first Super Mario World aped SMB3 pretty closely (not that this is a bad thing, necessarily, given how awesome SMB3 is) I was a bit worried that the series might be headed to stagnation, something it could ill afford (Mega Man has more varied boss designs and weapons so it can afford to keep the same formula; Mario doesn't have that luxury). Super Mario World 2 certainly avoids that trap, casting a whole new character, Yoshi, as playable, and with some major new mechanics, some of which caught on in the main series (the stomp) and some of which did not (fluttering). The game's story about Mario, Luigi, and Bowser as infants was quite amusing, too.

Quite apart from the shake-up, the game succeeds quite well in a few areas. Stages are quite well-designed, with plenty of variety and a reasonable amount of challenge to be had. The game just... never seemed afraid to try different things within its system, and it makes for a set of stages that never gets dull despite their intimidatingly large number. Bosses, while on the other hand too easy in general, are also quite creative, often requiring very different methods to defeat compared to each other, something which is very unusual for a Mario game. The highlight here is Raphael the Raven, whose fight feels like a tiny prototype for Super Mario Galaxy over a decade earlier, and is quite ingenious. It's also pretty much the only thing I remember about the game from playing it 15 years previous, so that has to count for something!

There's really only one thing where I think the game lets me down, compared to other Mario games: the controls. Yoshi seems to handle quite terribly at points, and many of my deaths were, I felt, due to being unable to control him properly. I could accept this as my own failing early in the game, but when I still have trouble by the end, I start to think it's definitely more the game's fault. The final boss battle, unfortunately, kinda drives this home since the fight is little more -than- jumping between narrow ledges with pits on either side. The controls really limit some of the fun that can be had with the game, which is a shame when every other aspect of the game is pretty much uniformly excellent.

My only other complaint, and it's a small one, is that the large levels occasionally makes for sections of game which go very long distances without checkpoints, so if you die you can get set back more than is the norm for Mario games (or even the genre as a whole). However, there really was only one or two places where this got on my nerves, so it's not really an everpresent problem - many stages have plenty of checkpoints relative to their size.

So it ends up as one of the overall weaker Mario games to me, but that's hardly going to be a bad thing.

The good: Stage and enemy design; art direction and charm; innovation
The bad: Yoshi controls like a drunken Zubat
The ugly: The fact that I haven't played Paper Mario yet, since apparently it has MORE Raphael the Raven!

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »

This made me giggle and I -do- know why. So true.

The ugly: The fact that I haven't played Paper Mario yet, since apparently it has MORE Raphael the Raven!

Fun useless fact: Raphael the Raven is my favorite Tetris Attack PC.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »

You have a Wii with Virtual Console.  (Or, alternatively, a nearby Excal who's probably not playing much N64 these days).  From the conversations we've had, you really should play both of Majora's Mask and Paper Mario one of these days.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

That is how you should have approached it.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES, Nintendo, 1995)

Glad to see somebody else liked this game and not just me. You hear hype for all the other Mario games, but this one isn't often mentioned which is a shame. I play it on the GBA instead of SNES though, so that one has a few changes of its own.

The good: Stage and enemy design; art direction and charm; innovation

What I also like about the game is that there was a form of rankings (somewhat) for how much you were willing to explore the level in the form of the "marks" you get when you complete the level. If you didn't care, you didn't have to collect the 5 flowers or 20 red coins. Yet, if you did, it gave you an incentive to learn more about the game to improve your rank. Trying to get 100s in every stage has surprisingly been very difficult for me. Guess that says enough about me and platformers!

Yoshi's controls...TOUCH FUZZY GET DIZZY. Although on a serious note, I found Yoshi to control *much* more loosely when you have to aim and move at the same time. His regular jumps and moves seem to handle fine and responsively enough. Dashing and then stopping is more of an issue since IIRC, Yoshi has a "turnaround" animation, which often causes him to slip farther than he should (especially if you have momentum). My bigger problem is that the Egg aiming really should've just been manual. The moving crosshairs is okay I guess, but it felt like one of those parts that just added invisible difficulty. I understand it would be impossible to implement given they wanted to "move and shoot", but yeah.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »
Generally speaking, Yoshi's Island is well liked by most who play it.  Its not talked about much, but just about everyone I've spoken to who has played it agrees it was a decent game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
My bigger problem is that the Egg aiming really should've just been manual. The moving crosshairs is okay I guess, but it felt like one of those parts that just added invisible difficulty. I understand it would be impossible to implement given they wanted to "move and shoot", but yeah.

Considering like you said it's impossible to implement well with being able to move I can't see this as a problem at all.  They did the best they could with what they had.

Unless doing the impossible is required to be good now.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
I'd find it more annoying if Yoshi's Island didn't implement some limited control over it.  You could move the cursor to the two ends with the Up and Down arrows, so if you wanted to aim strategy up or to the side, it was doable, and of course, locking the cross-hair's movement helps too.  The Crosshair moves slow enough that timing it to be at least in the general direction of what you want, which was often enough to get through.

So yeah, I can see calling it a flaw, but what it effects comes up so infrequently that its hard to really care.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 12:24:37 AM »
This is about the last game on the list I expected would generate the most discussion to date. Huh, cool.

Generally speaking, Yoshi's Island is well liked by most who play it.  Its not talked about much, but just about everyone I've spoken to who has played it agrees it was a decent game.

Pretty much this. That said, I totally understand where Tide is coming from, it seems like parts of the internet borderline ignore the game's existence (despite the fact that it's both well-liked and had high sales). It's all SMB3 blah blah SMW blah blah SM64 blah blah SMG. SMW2 feels like it's rarely mentioned by comparison. I don't think it's even been in a GameFAQs contest, for instance. NSMB is similar, for a Mario game I like even more.

I have no problem with the way eggs are aimed, really, though I can see why one would. I kinda like the idea of aiming being a non-instantaneous thing. Aiming, unlike moving, is something that is actually hard to do in real life, after all. I know, I know, VIDEO GAME REALISM, especially in a game about a cabal of dinosaurs ferrying a baby in order to rescue said baby's twin brother because uh the stork delivering them was attacked.

From the conversations we've had, you really should play both of Majora's Mask and Paper Mario one of these days.

I've been meaning to play Paper Mario for what, five years? It'll happen eventually. MM, I dunno, it's still a Zelda. <.<

Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 12:43:21 AM »
My bigger problem is that the Egg aiming really should've just been manual. The moving crosshairs is okay I guess, but it felt like one of those parts that just added invisible difficulty. I understand it would be impossible to implement given they wanted to "move and shoot", but yeah.

Considering like you said it's impossible to implement well with being able to move I can't see this as a problem at all.  They did the best they could with what they had.

Unless doing the impossible is required to be good now.

Nah, I think I just badly phrased it. I mean, they could have done something such as pressing L makes it such that you have manual guidance over your aim, where as R is the scrolling aim that allows you to move. But I think in the grand scheme of things that might just have muddled up the controls. Like Meeple was saying before, its not a huge flaw (if it was I wouldn't like the game!), but it is something I would be interested in seeing implemented. And yeah, being able to lock your cursor is something. So I probably just came off sounding too negative. It's about the only thing of the controls I would be interested in changing, vehicles aside. I recall that having wonky control precision.

This is about the last game on the list I expected would generate the most discussion to date. Huh, cool.

You can credit this to your awesome tastes in gaming~
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:45:32 AM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »
Nah, I think I just badly phrased it. I mean, they could have done something such as pressing L makes it such that you have manual guidance over your aim, where as R is the scrolling aim that allows you to move. But I think in the grand scheme of things that might just have muddled up the controls. Like Meeple was saying before, its not a huge flaw (if it was I wouldn't like the game!), but it is something I would be interested in seeing implemented. And yeah, being able to lock your cursor is something. So I probably just came off sounding too negative. It's about the only thing of the controls I would be interested in changing, vehicles aside. I recall that having wonky control precision.

I was going to say you can do it like that, much more shooter oriented platformers from around that era by Treasure use a similar control scheme and they work very well with Treasure being pretty much known as the go to company for a side scrolling shooter like that.  Although they would have to wait a year after Yoshi's Island came out to publish anything on a controller with L/R buttons.

How necessary a control scheme like that would be in a more platform oriented game like Yoshi's Island I don't know, although it sounds like it might not have hurt in this case.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 01:44:52 AM »
Well, PM is readily available on the virtual consol, and if you don't want to spend the cash, then remind me to bring my Wii to the weekly get togethers and you can play my copy.  It's one of the few games I'd be interested in watching someone go through.

As for Majora's Mask, I'm less certain than MC that you'd like it.  Though, better than everything Zelda that isn't AoL.  Of course, nothing can top AoL.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 05:31:54 AM »
6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, Nintendo, 2009)

From one Mario game to another. I debated which of the two Mario titles, separated by 14 years, impressed me more this year, and after some back-and-forth eventually gave it to the newer of the two. Both games are certainly very good, even if they're both likely in the bottom half of 2D Mario games to me!

While I tend to rate games as singleplayer experiences, it's worth giving a shout-out to New Super Mario Bros. Wii's multiplayer. Mario games are as old as time (okay, only a quarter-century), and a true simultaneous multiplayer experience is something I and many others have been waiting for for almost that long. So having NSMBW deliver that is pretty awesome. While the multiplayer isn't -quite- as good as I'd have hoped (specifically, I do think there should have been a way for players to compete directly, be it separate scores or coin collection rates or whatever), it's still very fun, if of somewhat limited replay value.

As a singleplayer game, it's a 2D Mario, and if yesterday's retrospective didn't make it clear as glass, I like those. NSBM Wii is a pretty respectable sequel to the original New Super Mario Bros. It doesn't claim too many major improvements on its DS predecessor, but it really doesn't have to. Chief among what it does have is a larger array of powerups for Mario, better boss fights (more because they're the freaking KOOPA KIDS back at last than any actual points for design, though the design is a step up), and a fairly cool set of more challenging stages for the ninth world (definitely better than the bonus stages of World, the only other game to implement the idea). So a good Mario game with some modest improvements makes for a great game, right?

Well, it would, but it does take some steps back at the same time. Those powerups would be cooler if they didn't include the copter-shroom, which allows for some pretty broken platforming and you basically always want it. Most of the tougher challenges in the game, be they stages themselves or star coin collection, can be trivialised by "just get a copter-shroom" and part of me is certainly bugged by this. Speaking of copter-shroom, it and a few other related action bring in one of my least favourite features of Wii games in general, that being Wiimote shaking as a method of control, since it just isn't reliable enough for the precise timing platforming requires. I don't even want to talk about how bad the boss fight is that requires it.

Stage design for the main stages is okay. I didn't feel it pushed the envelope in any way for a Mario game, which is main reason that I so strongly considered putting Mario World 2 above this game. This isn't to say it's bad; it's respectable enough certainly, but not something I came away from the game being impressed by. I think at points the stage design was a little restrained by the fact that all stages needed to be able to accomadate four PCs, which had a subtle but ultimately somewhat noticeable effect on stages which can no longer have tight spaces. Not to say that there was nothing good to be had in the stage design, though; the stages with the massive spikes with smaller spikes on them that shoot through the entire level are badass on style alone.

Okay, reading back, those two paragraphs make me sound unimpressed by the game. I'm not; it's really good. Like I said, it's a 2D Mario game, with some distinct improvements even as it takes some steps back; that's pretty much guaranteed to be awesome in my books.

The good: Better bosses than normal for the series; the ninth world; multiplayer
The bad: Wiimote shaking and all its associated baggage; tame stage design at points
The ugly: This game could have had playable Peach and Wario and instead we get Toads who control exactly like Mario, yawn

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:15 AM »
Speaking of copter-shroom, it and a few other related action bring in one of my least favourite features of Wii games in general, that being Wiimote shaking as a method of control, since it just isn't reliable enough for the precise timing platforming requires. I don't even want to talk about how bad the boss fight is that requires it.

UUUUUUUUUGH THAT FIGHT
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
Wait, the Koopa Kids return in NSBMWii?  That's awesome!  How did I not hear of that?

I just figured they got rid of them (barring M&L) in favor of Bowser Jr., which bugs me cause they were in 2 SMB3 and SMW, and all 7 were certainly more creative on design than Bowser Jr., yet they act like he's the first and only son (...and worse?  His design is nearly identical to "Baby Bowser" from Yoshi's Island/Story -_-)...

...yeah, going to be shot by people who actually like Bowser Jr., but he still irks me for basically stealing the Koopa Kids spotlight, in a way that made Nintendo seem to pretend they didn't exist for god knows how long.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »
5. Devil May Cry (PlayStation 2, Capcom, 2001)

If Devil May Cry could talk and had a fondness for certain internet memes, here's what it would say:

"Look at the placement of my sequels on this list. Now back to me. Now back to my sequels. Now back to me. Sadly, my sequels aren't me, but if they'd paid attention to making combat against random enemies fun and exciting, they could be great games like me. Look down, look back up, where are you? You're playing a game with some key flaws like an annoying camera, but you don't care because it's so darn fun, and a legitimate but fair challenge. Anything is possible when your game has combat that keeps you on your toes instead of smelling like a bad Musou game. I'm on a horse."

Sorry for those who don't catch the reference; had to do that. Anyway, DMC was, as a player, my introduction to the 3D action genre (I'd watched a variety of games in the genre previously), and it's easy to see how this game revolutionised and singlehandedly established 3D action as one of the most important new genres of the past decade. DMC really nailed what it set out to do: be an action game that makes full use of the three dimensions, capturing what is for the most part a non-stop chain of battles which are devilishly challenging and always creative. Where combat in the DMC sequels had some flaws (as I've already noted on), the original's were pretty much a stream of successes.

Its bosses feel like something out of a (good) 3D Mega Man X game, demanding that you learn your ways and unforgiving until you do, but a heck of a lot of fun to master. And even its random enemies are pretty much bosses writ small, often requiring specific tactics for dodging their attacks and landing your own. One of the game's best features is its bestiary, which fills in with all sorts of helpful tips and information which you can use to battle the various fiends you come across, so you don't even need to worry about lacking crucial information for beating an enemy; fight it once or twice (win or lose) and chances are the bestiary will have some helpful suggestions. For player options, there's a reasonable number of ways to fight, with different attacks learned, and the game manages to make both melee and ranged combat very viable, which is great. And I can't say enough good things about Devil Trigger, the highly accessible yet limited super-buff that has all sorts of uses and makes you feel like you're never out of a fight no matter how far behind you get. There's just... shockingly little to complain about here; I have a hard time thinking of ways the combat could be outright improved. Maybe a few more bosses (the game really has just five, and variations on them), but with the quality of the existing fights being as high as it is, it seems greedy to wish for this, and possibly to the detriment of the game's overall design if it were implemented.

The game also does pretty well at setting its dark atmosphere, and just in case you'd be in danger of taking things too seriously, it casts Dante as a trash-talking, light-hearted goof; far better than your average action hero. Also, it has That One Scene near the end, which is hilarious. Even if it probably shouldn't be.

As much as the game is generally a success at everything important, it is, as I've already alluded to, far from perfect. The shifting camera angles can sometimes be frustrating, even if with a little experience they aren't as bad as the first appear (that said, they first appear to be potentially horrible). I'm not really sold on the system of yellow orbs, paying for your lives worked well in Mega Man X8 but that game had a much more polished version of the same system, not to mention the lives were much cheaper. And there did need to be a way to switch between guns more quickly, although this is a fairly minor complaint. Finally, the start is a touch slow, with the first room being a lengthy red orb hunt instead of some introductory combat being one of the game's poorest design choices.

So yeah. If you haven't played this game yet, you should. If you've played it and didn't like it, chances are the whole genre just isn't for you, because the game just succeeds so wonderfully at the gameplay experience it sets out to deliver.

The good: Oh man that combat against bosses and randoms both; the bestiary
The bad: Those darn camera angle changes; some other minor polish concerns
The ugly: I should have gotten those armour upgrades from Dr. LIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTT!

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:58 AM »
4. God Hand (PlayStation 2, Capcom/Clover 2006)

What is it about 3D action games that seems to draw them on towards silly humour? I guess because Devil May Cry did it, so does everyone else. God Hand probably does it better than any other writing-light game I've seen, which of course is why it's the top 3D action game of the year to me. Clearly.

Of course, for Gene's zany adventures through a vaguely-defined, demon-infested world, the silly humour and style is only the beginning. It's certainly a solid enough beginning, though; from dragon kicking enemies into the milky way while surfer music plays in the background, to saving an innocent villager from a POISON CHIHUAHUA, to the utterly deranged relationship between Gene and Olivia, to the indescribable yet perfect ending theme song, the game is a riot whenever it stops to actually have cutscenes, which, it must be noted, never last too long or in any way interfere with the game experience. Unlike with DMC3 there's little falling off in the humour's pace as the game goes on; the third to last boss is a blaxploitation reject named AFRO FIST, Gene's reward for beating the final boss is to be chased by an axe-wielding maniac, and of course there's the aforementioned ending vocal itself. Great stuff.

Ultimately, of course, I wouldn't be able to sing these praises so highly if the game didn't deliver in other respects. Fortunately, deliver it does. The game provides a demanding, surprisingly deep, and downright fun game experience. Gene has a large array of abilities available, but fortunately the game's delightful setup screen lets you easily evaluate which abilities do what (even down to precise damage) so you can make informed decisions in how to set him up. The different attacks have very different properties leading to clear variations in when they are useful, and correctly applying them, along with the game's three or four evasive maneuvers, with precision timing in response to various enemy threats, provides all sorts of addictive and challenging combat. Unlike many other games in the genre, how you fight varies a great deal depending on how many enemies you have to deal with at once, partially because Gene's singletarget lockdown moves tend not to coincide with his best crowd control, and partially because fighting multiple enemies at once is actually as legitimately dangerous as it deserves to be, and needs to be approached carefully. Of course, much like DMC before it, God Hand provides you with a bailout super-buff (as well as the orb-costing super-moves, which are similarly limited), and while these lack the versatile defensive uses of Devil Trigger, they make up for it by providing varied methods of (powerful) offence.

As with DMC, God Hand succeeds brilliantly in making me care about the randoms; certain tough sets of mooks are often even more dangerous than any boss, due to the aforementioned strength in numbers enemies can claim. This isn't to say the bosses aren't respectable, though, as well as generally quite well-designed. I wouldn't put them quite on DMC's level, but they aren't too far off, and there are a lot of them, and they're fun. The game also has oodles of what amount to optional boss fights in the arena, and while some are more fun than others, they're at worst a nice diversion.

Perhaps a particular aspect of God Hand that deserves the most hype, though, is its sliding challenge. Doing well in God Hand causes the difficulty level to rise; doing poorly causes it to fall (although, of course, even the lowest level is still respectable). This brilliant mechanic pays off in ways both expected and unexpected. Obviously, it keeps the challenge of the game at a demanding level no matter what your ability at the game, so you'll never snooze through the game yet you're unlikely to get too badly walled by any one fight (not that some deaths aren't to be expected). But perhaps more than that, it makes trying to keep the difficulty level high a point of pride; it's essentially a scoring system (based on perfectly understandable criteria of "do well" in terms of hitting and not being hit, instead of a set of totally arbitrary ratings) but one that gives tangible and meaningful feedback to the player. As someone who is modestly fond of scoring systems in games regardless, this extra step was something I definitely dug.

There's less and less negative to say about the games at this point. Visually the game often isn't terribly impressive, to the degree that even I kinda noticed it and I usually don't, but this doesn't really interfere with the game in any meaningful way. The use of button-mashing "pummel" techniques is kinda annoying and gets even physically tiring after a while. And the game is a bit random at points; a demon showing up at a bad time can ruin your day. However, ultimately, these are all fairly minor complaints. God Hand is, in general, just an awesome experience and certainly one of the games I had most fun playing with year; the only reason it's not higher is that the games above it consumed more of my life in various ways.

The good: Great combat; great character setup; great sense of style
The bad: Some minor graphical concerns; button-mashing gets annoying
The ugly: No, Japan, we reaaally didn't need the pummel command against female enemies to turn into a spank command

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
I look at this list and can't recall, have you played Okami yet?

You will likely be underwhelmed with it as a 3D action game, but it ... yeah with the number you have been playing lately it is something that you should do.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
Nope. I need to, at some point. It sounds good even if it doesn't necessarily play to my biases on gameplay.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
Well, one thing everyone agrees about regarding Okami, positive opinion or not, is that the game is too freaking easy, and seeing as Elfboy is not a fan of mindless random smashing, I can see that hurting the overall experience of the game for him.  Still, its at least worth trying, though be warned that the game is by no means short.