Author Topic: Season 41, Week 3  (Read 13694 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Season 41, Week 3
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2008, 11:09:58 PM »
Well, it's a method of scaling that I find...pretty unfair, since it leaves some casts with things like 40% average as their average. It also tends to make many of their DL opponents have notably more accuracy issues than they had in game at that. By the same notes, Lute doesn't have a 100% in game accuracy, Bright would have 16% more evasion, and Bright naturally has better than a 73% hit rate (Granted, not by much!).
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
And I find a method of scaling that gives Tia more evade than Lucius pretty unfair too, not to mention bafflingly unintuitive. And I have no problem with FE PCs being more evasive than S3 enemies.

Again, we've been over this.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »
Lucius has subpar evasion. It's odd to think that Feena has bad defense, because Grandia enemies suck so much at doing damage, but she does. Lucius gets hit more enough than his fellows in game, so an average enemy would in fact have less trouble hitting him.

Tia also gets balanced by having her never missing physical in game now get evaded by some.

And we'll probably go over it again! Several times! Without anything ever changing.
...into the nightfall.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2008, 11:30:36 PM »

I'm a little saddened that you'd be so dismissive of someone who is making a logical debate, but eh. We all know this is a touchy issue for us. FE in the DL and all that good stuff. (DL being crazy silly over something rather minor. Have I mentioned I love this place?)

Being dismissive to something that is irrelevent to the views that YOU KNOW THE PERSON DOESN'T HAVE AND YOU ARGUE THEM ANYWAY sounds like it's being dismissive toward someone's views more than ignoring someone who does that to you, dontcha think?
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »
Tia's a bad example because she provably has 0% evasion in game (Capsules have all the evade, PC's have none). I don't much care, though I tend to side with the PC's being better. To use the example I've argued before: I don't agree with scaling evade or elemental resistance outside of rare cases (OB elemental resists is.. the only one off the top of my head actually, and that's a special case). 

How was FE7 evade scaled? Against random enemies on Limstella's map?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
FE7 evade is scaled against Limstella herself. Scaling it against randoms in the GBA games often leads to things like Lyn having an average of 90% evasion or something? GBA FE grunts are impressively bad.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »
If you don't scale evasion, then why scale durability? Grandia PCs are extremely tanky in game, and average characters in Xenosaga 2 take much longer than characters in other games to kill even randoms, and yet all the the damage, HP, and defense are all evened out. OB elements gets scaled because they are stats; that's what really separates them from other DL games.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »
But we do scale durability based on in-game performance. A person with 120% above average S3 defense certainly takes hits better than a person with 120% above average defense in WA2 assuming they both have the same HP. The idea of an average is getting the minimum streamlining needed to make crosscast comparisons and mulling possible, but the moment where having a percentage is more important than considering how well a stat works in-game, then something's going awry. 

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 11:54:40 PM »
But a completely average person in Grandia might take 10 hits while an average person in Suikoden might take 3-4. I'm not saying throw out how the stat works, but that average should be average. Getting hit more than most of your other PCs in game is a bad thing, even if that still translates to 20% evasion. Bright is a really good example of that. 16% Evasion in S3 is pretty bad. Even 30% evasion is notably below average and results in you taking more damage than the average PC does.
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »
What you're thinking of Snow is spread, not average. Evasion has the same exact treatment.

This issues becomes nearly identical to defense when you get a situation like Assault Buster, which is dependent on opponent evasion for damage. Its damage in the DL is taken against average enemy evasion. If you were to use it on Yulie, would she take less because she has some evade? Or should she take more because she notably sucks at evasion? #2 there seems more reasonable to me (and you, Snow. We discussed this in chat once). But then someone like Jerin or whomever from a game with no evasion. Should they take every single hit from AB because they are from a game that has no evade stat? Thats like saying that VH Or Disgaea PCs should take insane damage from it for having no speed stat. In both cases, you're letting a character hit a weakness against an entire cast just because the systems are different. This is the logical extension of taking "literal evade". Its no different from saying T.G. Cid has worse defense than Luc because Luc has a defense stat and Cid doesn't.

Evade stats are like OB elemental resistance stats. You can suck at them or you can be badass at them, but they shouldn't make an entire cast better just because it exists and the enemies suck.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:48 AM »
I suppose I don't agree with scaling anything besides straight up stats and most types of damage (Gravity/non HP/SP damage are different issues entirely) to an extent. FE Evade is functionally a stat like OB elements, but.. mm. I see where Dhyer's coming from on this, FE evade is just a durability stat like defense. Though you can certainly argue that it's not fair that FE may get harsher scaling for evade when FFX or FFT can skate by on equipment based evasion if you just treat like a durablity stat. Dunno. Yes, I'm rambling.

Random: Does scaling FE7/8's evade to the final big fight change much?  (Light for FE7, can't remember FE8's name)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 12:15:01 AM »
I do scale FFX numerical evade, as well as the evasion from FFT default evasion choices (Although I see how FFT could be trickier since it's equip based. On the other hand, it was a combo of natural stats and equipment, I wouldn't go by just the natural stats. But yeah, that one is a bit trickier).
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 12:31:48 AM »
Accuracy and evade aren't normal stats. Some games get a pass on them with their system (G2 for accuracy, FFT/X for evade). To use Elfboy's example: I think Irvine has something like 100% base hit in the DL, but he's way below average scaled against Squall and Selphie's accuracy. I would scream bloody murder if Irvine suddenly had 50% hit in the DL. He doesn't function like that in game at all (FF8 idiotic problems aside) and while it's technically true to the DL letter of the law, it goes against pretty much everything we do as far as mechanics and trying to make fair fights.

Evade's the same. Some casts get lucky and everyone has evade as a scalable stat. Some get it as static stats that function like elemental defense (FFT, say). Some have a mix of both and get really lucky (FFX). Why should one cast get punished for this? Lucius is evading enemies a certain amount of times in game, say.. Irvine (again) is evading them 0% of the time. Irvine does not have more DL evade than Lucius, nor should he. On the other hand, Irvine is automatically more accurate than Bartre in spite of having far worse numerical accuracy, for the same reasons as listed above.

Demi evades.. 0% at endgame but has higher numerical evade than Lucius. There's no way she's more evasive than him, when he evades 20% of the time at endgame.
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
What you're thinking of Snow is spread, not average. Evasion has the same exact treatment.

This issues becomes nearly identical to defense when you get a situation like Assault Buster, which is dependent on opponent evasion for damage. Its damage in the DL is taken against average enemy evasion. If you were to use it on Yulie, would she take less because she has some evade? Or should she take more because she notably sucks at evasion? #2 there seems more reasonable to me (and you, Snow. We discussed this in chat once). But then someone like Jerin or whomever from a game with no evasion. Should they take every single hit from AB because they are from a game that has no evade stat? Thats like saying that VH Or Disgaea PCs should take insane damage from it for having no speed stat. In both cases, you're letting a character hit a weakness against an entire cast just because the systems are different. This is the logical extension of taking "literal evade". Its no different from saying T.G. Cid has worse defense than Luc because Luc has a defense stat and Cid doesn't.

Evade stats are like OB elemental resistance stats. You can suck at them or you can be badass at them, but they shouldn't make an entire cast better just because it exists and the enemies suck.

That's exactly why I'm saying "minimum streamlining". What you are applying there is the -other- logical extreme of scaling stats uniformly regardless of their effect in-game. Stats function differently and they deserve to be treated differently if the case calls for it, and exceptional instances get treated in a case-by-case basis. THIS is what I'm talking about. For functional purposes on a typical example, casts without an evasion stat all dodge the same amount, just as all FFT characters take the same amount of damage from an attack. But, in cases like Assault Buster, that doesn't make sense. Why should I inflate the punishment or reward of a cast for not getting a stat? That's the guideline I set, not simply trying to streamline everything into an uniform, thoroughly unnatural rescaling that completely ignores how a stat functions in normal environments. The averages streamlining is supposed to -ease- headaches instead of bringing up more, and to bring distinction. It's not simply spread - ACF Jane isn't as physically frail as Arnaud, even though she has less HP and her defense in the spread is quite possibly relatively worse than his, but because her defense stat is -far less important- than Arnaud's. I can see the headaches things like AB and exceptions can bring due to the logical extremes, but that's the issue: you are considering one logical extreme and taking its extreme opposite. I can't see how that's any better, and I don't go by either. When the streamlining doesn't work, you have to deal with cases like Assault Buster or other oddities at a case-by-case basis, which is what I do. Saying Luc takes hits better than Orlandu clearly doesn't feel right, but neither does saying Lyn dodges less attacks than Rika without Saner does. Neither of those are true to how they work in-game, so what's the point of taking a methodology where either of those ends up true?

I do see where you come from, but, as you explain it and put the ideas into practical motion, it feels like it still has the same issue you are seemingly trying to avoid. I already take higher enemy accuracy averages for evasion stats in order to avoid inflating the stat as much for the sake of fairness and lower the gap between cast evasion a bit, but relative evade as I've seen applied just often ends out as punishing the stat for the sake of punishing it.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2008, 12:49:57 AM »
Super, Feena's defense does more to lower damage than Brad's does in game, but DL wise, her defense is actually below average while he doesn't suffer from that.

If someone has ITE damage, I don't wouldn't hold that against the accuracy average. That's why Irvine doesn't have 50% accuracy (Or alternately, the effect should be practical accuracy. Squall and Selphie then have 100% practical accuracy, while Irvine has whatever it is in game in comparison).
If there was a game where average evasion was 75%, should someone with 50% evasion be hyped, or should it be noted that they get hit double the time on average because they are subpar at evading compared to their cast? Lucius may evade 20% in game, but that translates to something like being hit 10% more of the time on average. Average enemies do better against Lucius than most of his cast hitwise, while they don't really fare any better against Demi. I can't really see it as different than a character whose defense cuts physicals by 20%, but the average cast defense cuts them by 27%. They are taking less damage than they could be, but they are still taking more than the average PC is.
...into the nightfall.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
Should they take every single hit from AB because they are from a game that has no evade stat? Thats like saying that VH Or Disgaea PCs should take insane damage from it for having no speed stat.

Um... what? Disgaea has a Speed stat. And if I'm not mistaken, it directly affects evasion (go Ninja, go Ninja go!).

Pyro

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 03:11:34 AM »
Um... what? Disgaea has a Speed stat. And if I'm not mistaken, it directly affects evasion (go Ninja, go Ninja go!).
NINJAS OF THE NIGHT. Yeah, Disgaea has a speed stat (and VH has an agility stat or whatever), but I was referring to the part of AB that checks the RFX of the enemy, i.e. the stat that determines how often you get turns, which Disgaea doesn't have.

That's exactly why I'm saying "minimum streamlining". What you are applying there is the -other- logical extreme of scaling stats uniformly regardless of their effect in-game. Stats function differently and they deserve to be treated differently if the case calls for it, and exceptional instances get treated in a case-by-case basis. THIS is what I'm talking about. For functional purposes on a typical example, casts without an evasion stat all dodge the same amount, just as all FFT characters take the same amount of damage from an attack. But, in cases like Assault Buster, that doesn't make sense. Why should I inflate the punishment or reward of a cast for not getting a stat? That's the guideline I set, not simply trying to streamline everything into an uniform, thoroughly unnatural rescaling that completely ignores how a stat functions in normal environments. The averages streamlining is supposed to -ease- headaches instead of bringing up more, and to bring distinction.
You abandon your method of saying those with an evade stat (below or above average) are just naturally better than those without, and instead use averaged evasion here because it makes more sense? Thanks for the support! I'm not changing how stats work in the slightest Snow. The crux of all of this is that I'm saying the people FEers face in the DL aren't as incompetent at hitting things as FE enemies. Even this supposedly accurate Limstella isn't really up to par if her accuracy is only 73% against average. Or a boss who does 20% PCHP damage isn't up to par just because randoms deal even less.

That's the guideline I set, not simply trying to streamline everything into an uniform, thoroughly unnatural rescaling that completely ignores how a stat functions in normal environments. The averages streamlining is supposed to -ease- headaches instead of bringing up more, and to bring distinction. It's not simply spread - ACF Jane isn't as physically frail as Arnaud, even though she has less HP and her defense in the spread is quite possibly relatively worse than his, but because her defense stat is -far less important- than Arnaud's.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. How effective a stat in terms of damage reduction/whatever matters for determining relative durabilities, yes. Following this logic (and assuming relative evade) Ayla, who has about 20 above average CT evade, is less evasive than someone who has 15 above average FE evade, because FE's evade stat does more point-for-point to help you dodge enemy attacks.

I'm offering a normal, perfectly reasonable and fair way to represent evasion in the DL: treat it in the same manner we do defense. It serves the exact same function in a slightly different manner, and scaling it gives us consistency (same way its handled for defense/mdef) and fairness (casts don't get boosts just because the enemies suck).

The best argument I've seen against this is that it unbalances the relative evade in casts like FE. For example in FE8, if Tana had 66% evade against enemies (which hit average 73% of the time), and Joshua had 44% against that same enemy, Tana effectively evades 1.65x as much as him relatively. Scaling it to average accuracy, this becomes 39% evade for Tana and 17 for Joshua. Now Tana evades only 1.36x as much as him relatively. So the former must be more accurate and its cool to assume that as a fair representation of how much they dodge in the DL? No, not really.
 Its the exact same thing we encounter for say Amelia and Franz for defense. Against a 30 might attack, Amelia takes 10.4 damage while Franz takes 13.7 (Amelia takes 76% of what Franz does). Against a 40 Might attack, this becomes 20.4 and 23.7 (Amelia takes 86% what he does). For DL purposes we generally assume attacks to be 40% against an average PC, and so we consider what they do to a ~35 Might attack. If in game the average was a 20 Might attack we sure as hell wouldn't assume that an average damage opponent in the DL did that much to them just to preserve in-game durability! That would be obnoxious.

But thats exactly what taking evade against an enemy who doesn't hit average 100% of the time is doing. You're basically assigning the (poor) offensive attributes of FE enemies to whatever they face in the DL. We could do this for defense or speed to. Assume that whatever enemy an FEer faces has average enemy AS. Same thing... deciding how good whatever dueler goes up against an FEer is based on how good/bad the enemies that FEer faced in game were. We don't do this for anything else but evasion.

The only other argument to take evasion literally is that its an ability like elemental resistance... but where does that leave you? An interpretation that treats one particular damage reduction type very differently from every other, and bases a whole cast's durability based on how many hits they could take in-game, which is going to vary terribly from game to game. Isn't smoothing that the reason we have scaling in the first place? The offensive attributes of enemies really shouldn't have such a say in one cast being better than another.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dhyer just say that Bright's accuracy wasn't much better than 73% anyway and so Nino has decent evade against him anyway? It'd be funny if all of this had no relevance whatsoever for this week's match.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:15:21 PM by Cryo »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
MEGA MAN PLOT.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »
Sigh. Okay, if you guys insist. Not sure -why- you do, but let's get into this argument again. I am sure by the end one of us will have convinced each other.

Tia's a bad example because she provably has 0% evasion in game

Super, that's precisely why she's a good example. You said it yourself, Tia has 0% evasion. She doesn't evade. She can be MISSED, but she doesn't evade.

Lucius, however, does evade. How much is up to debate, but this is a qualitative, undeniable statement: Lucius has evasion, Tia does not.

That's the fundamental difference between Defence and Evade. There is no meaningful idea of 0 Defence; however, 0 Evade clearly does exist. It's analogous to a flag that says "can not evade".

Random: Does scaling FE7/8's evade to the final big fight change much?  (Light for FE7, can't remember FE8's name)

Light is a mix of bosses around Limstella's level, bosses which are aruond 15-25% better, the Dragon who is 57% better, and randoms who are 30% or so worse.

Sacred Stone is a horde of randoms who average about 35% worse, Dracozombies who are about Limstella level, and Lyon/DK who are both about 20% better.

. If in game the average was a 20 Might attack we sure as hell wouldn't assume that was an average attack against the cast just to preserve in-game durability! That would be obnoxious.

Now, now, now. When did we use FE7's average? If we did, we'd have 90% evade Lyn Snow mentioned.

No, when the randoms obviously fail, it's reasonable to use bosses. Similarly, Grandia 1 has bosses who deal out 3HKO damage. Suddenly taking their defences against that seems reasonable (though if you want to argue it a bit lower, that would be fine).

If, on the other hand, EVERY SINGLE ENEMY in a game did no more than 20% to average, it would be rather silly to take defences as against 40% damage when that never even exists. Example of a game we even do this for? FF1. No enemy does close to 40% per hit (doing multiple hits instead), so we take them against something lower than that. You can say you're just scaling in the hits, and that is a simple way to look at it, but YOU ARE STILL ACKNOWLEDGING THE ENEMIES MATTER.

More later, class now.

Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »
Sigh. Okay, if you guys insist. Not sure -why- you do, but let's get into this argument again. I am sure by the end one of us will have convinced each other.

It's more than just convincing Dhyer or Pyro about how to scale things. We do have voters who lurk the boards and read our arguments and how we see things, so even if you're not going to come to an agreement you may be influncing the people reading the topic.
-
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:04:35 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2008, 05:06:29 PM »
Rephrasing a bit:

There's a bit too much nastiness/rudeness/trolling going on for some reason here on both sides. Either be civil or don't post.
-------------------

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2008, 10:53:50 PM »
Tia's a bad example because she provably has 0% evasion in game

Super, that's precisely why she's a good example. You said it yourself, Tia has 0% evasion. She doesn't evade. She can be MISSED, but she doesn't evade.

Lucius, however, does evade. How much is up to debate, but this is a qualitative, undeniable statement: Lucius has evasion, Tia does not.

That's the fundamental difference between Defence and Evade. There is no meaningful idea of 0 Defence; however, 0 Evade clearly does exist. It's analogous to a flag that says "can not evade".

When I see Tia "evading" in the DL, it's due to her opponent's innate inaccuracy compared to average in their home game. In that view, she's not the cause of the evasion anyways. However, Lucius is below average in evasion. Yes, he has evasion, and S4 mages have defense. It exists but its below average, which ends up with them taking more damage than normally in the DL, just likes Lucius' low relative evade would make him take more hits in game.

If Lucius faces an enemy with a 90% hit rate in game, then his evasion is near nil. Yet if he faces someone who averaged 90% accuracy in their home game and that 90% was average, he gets 20%-30% evasion. Something like this both benefits a character for having a bad amount of a stat just because the stat exists and punishes the opponent's accuracy when he/she didn't have all that much of a problem in game.

If enemies do multiple hits/have higher mults, stuff like that is factored into practical average defenses. And yet, going by subtractive defense, whether an enemy does 4 hits on 15 each or 4 hits of 60 each doesn't really matter. It's just the mult that's applied to the defense in game that matters, not the amount of damage an enemy is doing per hit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:03:54 PM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
Godlike:

Ted (S4) vs Jade (BoF1)
Kratos Aurion (ToS) vs Yuna (FFX) - Yuna really has only Holy here. Kratos nulls light, halves others, and/or guardian. PC Kratos does 2x damage to humans. (Yuna is still human right??) Plus Yuna's well below average HP and horrible phy defence/durability is not ignored.

Jenna Angel (DDS) vs Wren (PS4)
Ellen Kirshima (Pers) vs Yuri Volte Hyuga (SHs)

Heavy:

Claus F. Lester (ToP) vs Gades (Lufias)
Nina Wyndia (BoF2) vs Yuber (S3)
Surt (VP1) vs Vulcanus (Disgaea)
Demi (PS4) vs Kharg (AtL4)

Middle:

Peter (SF2) vs Karin Koenig (SH2)
Bright (S3) vs Lute (FE8)
Guy (Lufia 2) vs Sara (BoF1)
Canas (FE7) vs Nino (FE7)

Light:

Mia Ausa (Lunar:SSSC) vs Gepetto (SH2)
Ricardo Gomez (SH3) vs Frank Goldfinger (SH3)
Lowen (FE7) vs Spar (BoF2)
Lani (FF9) vs Cyan Garamonde (FF6)
When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 04:30:41 AM »
So you know how to find a killing point the average PC in the DL, we take 2.5x the average damage... or at least most people do for most games.  (Games like FE the killing point is simple, because their damage/hp are relevant to each other.)  Normal games, say FF6, damage/hp are NOT relevant to each other.

FE7 average damage was taken against 10 defense enemies, the ave. res/def for FE PCs is 14.5. 
This mean the average FE fight does 19.2 damage to 45HP in their cast.  See how nice and pretty FE works, average FE fighter 2.5HKOs another average FE fighter, which it about right.
However, for most games we have to scale.  Say FF6.  If we took literal killpoint of 2500HP then LOLOL Terra now has 4x PC damage.  So we take average damage and say 2.5x that is PC level kill.  (3800 ave. damage = 9500 kill = Terra slightly OHKOs with 9999.)

So if we scale most games damage based on the average in game, why not do that with FE evade?  Average evade in game is 59.4%, but the average PC in game also has more than 100% hit, meaning this evade can't be taken literally, unless we want a cast of heavy/godlikes.  This will make sense soon.

FE Hit% = (Weapon hit %) + (Skill x 2) + (Luck x .5)
These averages are 75% (weapon choice matters here, but this is a good average) 21 and 16.6.  So 75 + 42 + 8.3 = 125.3 average hit %.  In PC v PC fights, which is what we normally have, FE has averages of 125% hit and 59% evade.  This means that cast average evade is actually only 34%, which really isn't all that bad considering some games like FFX.  (Lucius now evades average fighters 27% of time, Lyn 53%, Dorcas 17%.)  Lyn is still crazy evasive, but that's also how she survived in game, so it makes sense that she should survive in DL the same way.

MOVING ON, I used FE7 because I forgot this was about Lute, the same stuff works in FE8.
Average hit is 130%, average evade is 61%.  This means that actual average evade is 31%, a bit lower than FE7.  Lute rolls in with 66.7% evade, slightly above average, meaning against an average PC she is evading 37.7% of the time.

This system works for me because ALL FE stats in game are scaled to other PCs basically.  It just so happens that the enemies are very shitty PCs, whereas the bosses are just stronger PCs.  Also both games have around a 2.5x hit to kill ratio, which is identical to the DL standard 2.5x ave. damage to kill.

By this logic a slightly below average accuracy Bright is probably missing Lute low/mid 40s% of the time... or 2nd attack for me, so yeah changing vote here.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 04:52:43 AM »
When I see Tia "evading" in the DL, it's due to her opponent's innate inaccuracy compared to average in their home game.

There's a difference between missing due to one's own accuracy and the target evading. Many games even come up with different words for this. (FFT, BoF3-4 come to mind off the top of my head.)

Tia can be missed (by Momo, etc.); she can not evade. The difference is so simple that you have to be choosing not to see it on purpose.

Yes, he has evasion, and S4 mages have defense.

Tia has 0 evasion. You can't define something called "0 defence" that can be compared across games. Any evasion is better than 0.

. Something like this both benefits a character for having a bad amount of a stat just because the stat exists and punishes the opponent's accuracy when he/she didn't have all that much of a problem in game.

Evasion is qualitative/skill-based, though.

It's a skill Lucius isn't great at, but having the skill is better than not having it. Much like having First Aid in AtL4 makes you a below average healer for the cast, but it still beats not having it at all.

not the amount of damage an enemy is doing per hit.

A bit of a tangent, but I'll argue it for your sake, because if you must hold onto your evade scaling idea this line of thinking could at least ensure that it's a valid form of durability, something that it doesn't... really seem to be ever, for you:

If no enemy in a game did more than 20% damage to average, I can't see taking that game's defences against anything higher than that. After all, anyone who could null said damage would be physically immune in-game, and logically that should translate to the DL.

Maybe.