Author Topic: Season 63 Bootings  (Read 14921 times)

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
Re: Season 63 Bootings
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »
I may as well chime in and note that this is about how I feel about it except it doesn't piss me off.

I mean I still like the DL? But getting excited over it is pretty beyond me these days. I think it's because of how bad of writing burnout I hit more than anything, if I had to guess.

But yeah trimming down one or two heavily debated characters like Alma? Okay, sure. Few FE characters to make room for new ones? Sure, we have 75 FE characters, might be a bit much to add another cast, even fairly lightly, to that without any removal. Largest boot in ages now? Feels...pretty silly on a lot of levels.

I mean, my impression was that CK basically just tossed in every idea he heard that remotely got support. Granted, this....probably should have been a two tier topic for that reason. But, anyways, the point was that the topic didn't have this many ideas in because they were loudly touted as things needing booting so much as things that had been mentioned at like any point.

That people are taking the list generally this seriously and pretty much...yeah, meat clevering a decent chunk of it? I dunno about the lack of warning feelings per se, but it feels silly, a pointless slashing taken to a roster that like 35-40 voters are voting on and most of which know a majority of.

I mean I guess I'm fine with whatever but it just kinda boggles my mind is all.

When the hell'd I get to be the one that nos an entire set of games up for boot, anyways? And why does no one seem to think that should send some warning signals up? I'm just sayin'.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
Balk, Celia, and Lede aren't exactly 'prominent plot characters'. Celia is an inferior copy of Lede and to be honest I think having one PC-killer is enough for their plot-'value'. Alma has been a mess for a long time, although I don't know much about her 'history' here or how many people actually care about her.

As far as trimming Suikodens and everything else, I tend to vote for stuff that I personally don't care about and I tend to think other people won't care about. If someone makes a serious appeal for a character they like I'll be more than happy to change to a "Keep".

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »
I realized, belatedly, this might sound sarcastic. I'm 100% serious.

If we're going to boot games/large swathes of a cast, I think we should do it with more style, at least. This entire bootings procedure is boring and only stirs up rage and bile. There is something slightly inevitable, it seems, about this mess. We should have it be fun. Have it be dramatic. Have a little... style.

##Vote: Deathmatch

Let's do it. Season of elimination. Bring all the bad ranked games in, only one can survive!

Suiko/Fire Emblem brawl! Cut them down one by one until only champions remain! Put them against the most interesting members of their cast! Have it be a beauty contest! A pageant!

Teams of SuikoScrubs vs Godlikes. Do it.

~~~

Until this idea gains some foothold, I'm going to have to vote the other way, I suppose, though. I'll update some of these thoughts when I have better thoughts.

Keep FFT
Abstain Others
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:36:56 PM by AndrewRogue »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
Balk, Celia, and Lede aren't exactly 'prominent plot characters'. Celia is an inferior copy of Lede and to be honest I think having one PC-killer is enough for their plot-'value'. Alma has been a mess for a long time, although I don't know much about her 'history' here or how many people actually care about her.

Balk is a member of the villains who is a noteworthy boss fight two times, he has lines in a few cutscenes.  He does more than Kletian.  The villain cast in FFT is big and Balk actually is fairly unique for them in that he is a relatively competent tank. 

The history they have?  They were in the DL for 63 seasons.  They were carry overs from the RPGP and its 23 seasons, believe one of them had some good runs in heavy back in those RPGP days.  In game they are memorable repeating bosses that always appear together.  You pick one to rank and it is an arbitrary decision.  So you pick the strongest of the two?  What makes that more optimal a rank specifically?  For the record, checking their win/losses, Lede has a huge victory margin that is way bigger than the difference between the two of them statistically, Celia having fought two borderline godlike characters with OHKO damage and status protection.  Lede on the other hand has managed to upgrade and be downgraded again.  If that isn't history being made for the two characters in the DL then I don't know what you are after exactly.  Things have happened in the DL and they are represented far more deeply than just comparing stat averages to see who wins in a given week.

Also just to reiterate, there is ways to do this and this is not the way to make sure the message does not get bogged down in minutiae of what is or is not good or bad for a specific character.

Edit - Also for reference here is what we have under discussion here, the first post list 148 characters being discussed for booting here.  We have 1111 characters in the RPGDL records.    Decimating the roster is not the textbook way to generate interest in a website.  Unless you are going to rank that many or more characters this is the path to absolute stagnation.  Edit 2 - That 148 figure is 5 more characters than we have in the entirety of Godlike.  You know again, for a sense of scale here.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:29:23 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
Grefter: I agree that the attempts to trim FFT were poorly thought-out, but you know what? The voters have reacted accordingly. To spoil the booting results for that game, the closest character to being booted from FFT is Zalbag, and he'd need (and I shit you not, here), 13 unanswered boot votes to get kicked out at this point. Nobody from FFT is going to go. And I'd tend to agree with you that most likely, nobody should. I personally dislike Zalbag because I feel there's just no consistency in terms of how he's voted on because both his forms are screwy (PC! PC with equip changing! Boss! Boss with Blood Suck! etc.) That said I have zero problem whatsoever with being in a minority over this one - other people think that's not a problem? Good for them. And I personally think the fact that the assassins, Izlude, and Rofel are even up for booting is just ludicrous. Never mind that a couple of them are champs, never mind all of Izlude and Rofel's character fans, never mind that Assassin was one of the most revered/discussed classes on the FFT board and their fighting style is memorable as hell, never mind that Rofel is probably the most interesting/versatile boss dueller and that THIS GAME IS THE MOST-PLAYED/WELL-LIKED GAME IN THE DL. In other words I actually pretty much agree with you on this, it just doesn't cause me to rage, just shake my head and snigger as I count up the votes.

I agree that we probably should have had a preliminary topic for this. It's very clear that only a relatively small number of people are considered realistic boots by much of the DL. Mostly some CC/FE/S2 that people really don't care about much. The complete failure of games like FFT, Lufia, ToD, and Legaia 1 to attract anywhere near a majority (let alone 66%) is evidence of this. Quite frankly this has wasted a lot of my/Super's time counting up people who have never had a chance, so next time we do this I will insist on a preliminary topic.

We are talking about booting Bartre because he is boring, where he is one of the plot PCs from the character arc that gives characters the most development in FE7 where they won't permadie so can have more dialogue.  He was ranked for a reason.  People liked Bartre.  He has more plot than Dorcas.

I think you're mixing Bartre and Dorcas up here. <_< Doesn't matter, just a nitpick.

Anyway, just to be clear on FE7, we literally decided to rank -everything- from the game, PC-wise, that wasn't splitpath. This was standard at the time. Times have changed, we'd never rank new games like that, and ranking two (in a few more days, three) other FE games has led to a very large representation of that series (many who are not myself think it is too large). It makes perfectly good sense to trim some characters who would not have been ranked with modern sensibilities, if they (a) don't have significant DL history, and (b) don't have fans to protect them from this booting. Again, I can't stress enough how good a wall that 66% threshold is; you don't go if any significant number of people want you to stay.

I mean, there's literally not a character who couldn't be saved from booting with a rant of "I LIKE THIS PERSON, PLEASE DO NOT BOOT HIM OR HER OR IT WILL MAKE ME LIKE THE DL LESS". A couple switched boot->keep votes and suddenly that 13-4 score which looks like a sure boot is now 11-6, which is a narrow keep. (And for the record, nothing actually manages as good a percentage as 13-4.) Anything that does go, with the system we use, will not be missed.

Also for what it's worth this will be nowhere near our biggest booting effort ever. Pretty sure that's whatever season we trimmed the Shining Force games down to ~10 duellers each.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
I mean, there's literally not a character who couldn't be saved from booting with a rant of "I LIKE THIS PERSON, PLEASE DO NOT BOOT HIM OR HER OR IT WILL MAKE ME LIKE THE DL LESS". A couple switched boot->keep votes and suddenly that 13-4 score which looks like a sure boot is now 11-6, which is a narrow keep. (And for the record, nothing actually manages as good a percentage as 13-4.) Anything that does go, with the system we use, will not be missed.

Again, this isn't the way to do that.  Going to people "Here is a list of greater than 10% of the DL, pick which of these characters you want to keep" isn't exactly going to get everyone's attention it glazes the eyes over (See me brushing off FFT at first), the list is way way to big to get support or a campaign for a single person going.   It is way to much in way to short a time frame with absolutely NO fanfare outside of this topic.  This is something that needs to be put out there so said niche fans can come in here and scroll through our lists of 148 characters to pick out the 2 or 3 they want to keep and hope that everyone else reads their post between our arguments and other people's huge lists of boot or keep.

So yeah good luck on that campaign to save Skelly in the face of that, especially if other people switch over to Boot fucking everything to counteract people that like the DL roster as is.

Even if this isn't the biggest retirement effort (I still raise an eyebrow at SF1 and 2 being greater than 10% of our roster given that they still have 10 and 13 duellists in respectively), it is the least focused and by far the most unmanageable for people.  This is again noting that this is entirely without any fanfare.  It is just thrown up in our administration pages and we render judgement upon it because we happen to be the people that are around.  The scope of previous retirement is entirely irrelevant to the argument here though.  We are discussing what we are doing now and what we are doing is attrocious.

Also yeah I realised the confusion with Bartre and Dorcas 5 minutes after posting it, it is referenced in an edit amongst that jumble. 

Man I lost sleep over this because of how badly this is done, this is terrible and not how you run the site.  You can even see the point in that ramble where I started to read specific votes more specifically and just plain flipped my shit.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 09:18:45 PM »
Definitely agree the format of this was horrible.  One person grabs a list, asks chat late at night to put in other suggestions and then posts it in a couple of hours and doesn't let anyone who wasn't in chat in that timeframe add/argue about it?  Yeah, was poorly done.  This is really something that needed a preliminary topic to find out who people want to boot before even getting to the voting phase.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
Note on the timing: Seriously, the DL needs change in general if it's going to survive at this point. Something drastic like this is perfect for the tournament. Honestly, I'd prefer if we just switched our focus to user-created content like LFT/Reviews, but we don't have a lot of options until Hal has the free time to make such sweeping changes to the site. We discussed making all of those changes about 3? 4? seasons ago?

The DL is doing what it can, and Grefter, you don't even participate in the tournament, maybe something drastic like this which pulled you out of hiding is exactly what we needed.

A preliminary topic would have just died before it moved anywhere. People get apathetic and forget about things. Stagnation is how we've ended up where we are now.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
I agree that we probably should have had a preliminary topic for this. It's very clear that only a relatively small number of people are considered realistic boots by much of the DL. Mostly some CC/FE/S2 that people really don't care about much. The complete failure of games like FFT, Lufia, ToD, and Legaia 1 to attract anywhere near a majority (let alone 66%) is evidence of this. Quite frankly this has wasted a lot of my/Super's time counting up people who have never had a chance, so next time we do this I will insist on a preliminary topic.

Yep. Not much to add to this, except that the format didn't work.  I'm not happy with what a pain in the ass this has been to count up, and I'm not happy with the execution. If you want to shift your roster around and change the focus of the DL? Fantastic, I've argued it before. That said, the interest isn't there for it and neither is the level of fan support/interest to make it worth the time and headache.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 09:34:14 PM »
A preliminary topic would have just died before it moved anywhere. People get apathetic and forget about things. Stagnation is how we've ended up where we are now.

If people are apathetic about booting then we don't need to boot people.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »
The DL is doing what it can, and Grefter, you don't even participate in the tournament, maybe something drastic like this which pulled you out of hiding is exactly what we needed.

Failing horribly at PR, politics and general administration of a sight isn't a great way to get me interested in voting again.  I have not been active in the tournament itself for a long while.  I haven't written in a bit less time than that.  I can tell you where I keep coming back though, is the politics.

I may not care for the format of the tournament itself anymore as I have less time on my hands working and with the time zone shift (hey I can't stay up until 3 in the morning like I did when I voted), but I can still tell you how you should do basic administration and public relations.

Protip: If you want to get people interested back in the DL, booting a huge chunk of shit they ranked or just straight up making the roster smaller when they check back is not going to help them "Oh wow this tournament only got smaller while I wasn't looking :D" isn't going to be the response you get.  You boot things to keep a flow of characters, you need them incoming in the same quantities to fight stagnation, not just dumping shit all over the place.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »
Noting that I changed my vote on bulk booting Lufia 1 to Keep as my system depends on games having been selected for bulk booting responsibly, which seems to be diverging from reality as the topic goes on.

If attracting new people is at all a priority, there may well be too much ranked in the DL currently, especially since the tournament pretty much only exists for the tournament's sake now - is there any point in following it without knowing most of the characters any more?
If you only want to stop people leaving/try and rehook people who left before, then having a net increase in the amount of ranked people is an option, sure.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
Note on the timing: Seriously, the DL needs change in general if it's going to survive at this point. Something drastic like this is perfect for the tournament. Honestly, I'd prefer if we just switched our focus to user-created content like LFT/Reviews, but we don't have a lot of options until Hal has the free time to make such sweeping changes to the site. We discussed making all of those changes about 3? 4? seasons ago?

Grefter has always participated in the DL politick. He stopped voting yes, but he's always chimed in on rankings, bootings and other DL administrative things.

Yes, the DL needs change, but this is honestly change for change's sake and not a healthy direction for the DL. People are not not obligated to boot anything. I'm sad to see an argument I regret making in the past coming back to haunt me. I used to use the "Obscurity doesn't matter because the DL has become pretty much the core group." argument against booting. It took me time but I realized that doing things with just the core group in mind is NOT the way to save the site.

We're becoming stagnant because we have a lack of new blood to the site as a whole. Would the other changes proposed to the DL help with that? Yes. But I'm not liking the attitude shift here in that we should just start doing things that appeal to the core group only (or that what the core group likes is obviously what everyone else likes), and this topic seriously worries me to that end.

Stagnation isn't a result of a failure to rank and boot. It's a failure of attracting people to the site, and a failure of remaining consistant. One might argue that ranking and booting have a big role in that, but I've never really been sold on it. The biggest problem is that we really don't even TRY to bring or keep people in anymore. We're honestly shocked when LFT brings in one or two more people... seriously, aim higher, guys.

The biggest thing of all that hurt us is that massive amounts of downtime we had in the end of '09. Off three weeks, which was no one's fault, then back for a couple, then we for some reason decide we need two more weeks off to retool the site? And people are wondering where everyone went? Timing has never been the DL's strong suit. I'm a lot to blame for it, but the weeks of downtime in between the past couple seasons hasn't helped either. We have more important goals at the moment in terms of restructuring the site, but we choose to waste time and effort on BOOTING?

Ranking and booting honestly has the opposite effect than what you said, Djinn. I mentioned it before, Gref has always been a vocal person in DL matters even if he doesn't vote. Booting isn't going to make people who aren't voting suddenly vote. It never makes anyone happy, and the claim that it helps the DL honestly has always been dubious at best, especially in recent years.

To touch on a point that NEB replied to me about before: People are voting to keep whatever they like, which is fine, but I'm being arbitrary and obstinate when I say I want to keep them all despite the amount of arguing in the past I've done about the subject? A bit of a ranty aside and I apologize for this, but I've always been incredibly consistant with my philosophy for the DL and it's roster and I've always backed it up by going out of my way to play games so they'd have both voters and writers - even the ones people say no one wants to play. I like having all the different faces in the DL, regardless of if they're carbon copies or boring or not. I don't see how that's any less legitimate than cherrypicking.

Saying that my and others' blanket keep-all is a serious danger to the process and the DL is moot. We're still a part of the DL and even though we disagree with you, it's like you said. The process works. If enough people want to keep them in... thats what happens. They have the necessary support regardless of the peoples' reasonings behind the vote. If you're not happy with it, then thats unfortunate, but it's the best system we have. None of us are going to give up on the DL if things don't go our way anyway.

NINJA: But yeah, Tal probably sums up my point better.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »

If people are apathetic about booting then we don't need to boot people.

People are apathetic about -everything-. Sure, everyone seems to agree that we need a change or that writeups should be done, etc etc, but very few people will actually -do- anything towards working towards these goals. A preliminary topic would require thinking instead of just voting, which is the only thing we can even sort-of count on people to do.

Providing a shortlist is a great starting point, and it actually gets people to give an opinion. If we have opinions, then those of us who are willing to work towards a goal will know what direction to go.

NEB thinks it's too much trouble to count up all these votes? Fine. I'll count them. I've been counting up all the votes on things as they go recently anyway.

The point I DO agree with is that this definitely should have been advertised on the main site alongside the rankings topic. There's no reason it should be hidden.

My view on booting is pretty clear for the most part - I think a smaller roster means more interesting matches from each individual game/battle system. Once we get rid of the cruft that has been sticking around Light and Middle for so long, we won't hardly need bootings anymore as we've gotten a lot more responsible with what/how many we rank at this point.

People talk about a next time with this, but honestly, apart from some S1/4 and maybe VP1, this covers most of the offensively overranked stuff and I don't foresee us ranking much more that needs to be axed... >.>;;

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 11:35:31 PM »
Here's the thing.  Honestly, I felt like this topic should be a "speak now or forever hold your peace" affair.  People have talked about booting out some of the larger excess, or chopping games like Brig, for YEARS.  And nobody does a goddamned thing about it.  It never gets anywhere in preliminary topics, because people don't read and thus only vote on things in initial posts.  and so we sit, people bitching and whining and so on.  And to hell with that.

So what we have here is a straight up/down what does the DL want to do topic.  It should be the last topic of its kind the DL needs, until the DL itself changes and the standards for ranking (and thus booting) change with them.  This is your chance to boot, or keep, what you want, and should you fail then the DL will have spoken and shut up about it.

Will it work?  Fuck no.  But it's doing SOMETHING.  Something there's not enough of here.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:28 PM »
Write-ins will not be accepted in this topic, so don't make them!

Right here is my problem.  You're asking "What does the DL want to do?" but then restrict to these characters you and a handful of other people have chosen.  That and as others have said only people who browse the forums will know this topic even exists.  Voters who don't look at the forums might have people they like and they don't even get a chance to argue to keep them.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »
Which is functionally no different from any other bootings that have ever happened.  If someone doesn't pop into the forums regularly, they aren't likely to do so to participate in booting discussion, especially at this stage of the DL where voters outside forum posters are basically non-existent.

That doesn't make it well handled, naturally.  Which wasn't my point.  I was just putting my reasoning out there.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »

NEB thinks it's too much trouble to count up all these votes? Fine. I'll count them. I've been counting up all the votes on things as they go recently anyway.

Yeah, because Elfboy and Super are currently counting up a hundred things right now as well as every other bloody ranking and booting topic that I can remember with maybe one or two exceptions. Saying "this is a disorganized movement and maybe it should have been thought through better" does not mean that they didn't want to do work. It means they didn't want to do TOTALLY USELESS work. Which is very fair.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »
Which is functionally no different from any other bootings that have ever happened.  If someone doesn't pop into the forums regularly, they aren't likely to do so to participate in booting discussion, especially at this stage of the DL where voters outside forum posters are basically non-existent.

That doesn't make it well handled, naturally.  Which wasn't my point.  I was just putting my reasoning out there.

Which fundamentally makes a final booting topic a bad idea. The group does have some level of shift.

We probably should have had a limit on how many times a given game can go up for boot, mostly because it's wasted effort past a point(Or, if it's not, if it's been sitting on the line for a lot of bootings and goes finally #6, it will produce large amounts of ill will.). But on new things to suggest? Nah, that limits what we can rank later and limits the group's changes. A final topic is kinda impractical, I feel.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:57 AM »
Aye, but there's still a lot to be said for "hey, remember we tried to do (x) and it didn't go?"  It's something to hang your hat on, at least.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2011, 02:33:55 AM »
Aye, but there's still a lot to be said for "hey, remember we tried to do (x) and it didn't go?"  It's something to hang your hat on, at least.

But if (x) wasn't a universally-liked idea then is it really something you want to refer back to?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2011, 02:47:12 AM »

See Ciato, with an added dose of "...really?" thrown in. It takes time and it's annoying when the shit against the wall method is used with no preparation.

Here's the thing.  Honestly, I felt like this topic should be a "speak now or forever hold your peace" affair.  People have talked about booting out some of the larger excess, or chopping games like Brig, for YEARS.  And nobody does a goddamned thing about it.  It never gets anywhere in preliminary topics, because people don't read and thus only vote on things in initial posts.  and so we sit, people bitching and whining and so on.  And to hell with that.

So what we have here is a straight up/down what does the DL want to do topic.  It should be the last topic of its kind the DL needs, until the DL itself changes and the standards for ranking (and thus booting) change with them.  This is your chance to boot, or keep, what you want, and should you fail then the DL will have spoken and shut up about it.

Will it work?  Fuck no.  But it's doing SOMETHING.  Something there's not enough of here.

The kind of widespread changes that would be needed to effectively overhaul the roster still leave you with a bigger group of games than the RPGP did, spread out over a much larger timeframe.  The biggest draw killer in the past 30 seasons hasn't been obscure games (Because by and large we weeded out the worst of the worst and have been selective after that), but the sheer number of games in.  You could say trim the DL down to 40 of the best drawing games and start ranking new ones, and you'd still have everything from FF1 to Persona 4.

There (For obvious reasons) isn't the will to do that to the DL. The tradeoff we've always made for letting fan/staff noms make up things is that we were not only going to have a large roster, but have most of those games get represented.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:38 AM »
I'll start this off by saying I really dislike this "throw crap at the wall and see if anything sticks approach". There's so much stuff up for vote here that I don't have any time to really think hard about anything and just have to go with my rough kneejerk opinions. There's a fair amount of stuff on this list where my opinion might be swayed by some good arguments, but I haven't had time to really any arguments in-depth and it feels like most people haven't had the time to really write such an argument out because they've been just as swamped with quantity.

Arc the Lad 4 - boot

Brigandine - boot

Legend of Legaia - keep

Lufia 1 - keep

Ogre Battle - boot

Phantasy Star - abstain

Tales of Destiny - abstain

Tales of Eternia - boot

Vandal Hearts - keep

Chrono Cross - keep Glenn, abstain on the rest because I barely/don't recognize them and don't have the time to do any research

Final Fantasy Tactics - keep all

FE7

Keep Canas, Erk, Fiora, Isadora, Legault, Priscilla, Raven, Renault

Boot Dorcas, Nino, Vaida, Will

Abstain on Lowen, Louise, Rath, Rebecca

FE8

Keep Artur, Colm, Gerik, Innes, L'Arachel, Marisa, Neimi, Rennac

Boot Duessel, Forde, Garcia, Saleh

Abstain on Cormag, Franz

S2 - Keep Shiro, Freed, Mukumuku, abstain on the rest

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »
hinode- well... if you don't recognize someone, is that not a sign that perhaps they should be booted?

I can run down who various characters are and point out the ones who fail less than the other ones, if you like.  How much detail are we talking here?

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
I haven't played CC/S2, and at this point my memory of " unplayed DL ranked games" isn't what it used to be. It doesn't help that the one name I did immediately recognize from the CC list was Glenn, who immediately made me wonder if the person who compiled the CC list was out of his mind. Not exactly a good first impression to make.

Changing my abstain votes on those two games to keep for now.