Register

Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 120415 times)

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Took me forever to find information regarding it, but I'm guessing no.  According to Serebii (specifically here: http://www.serebii.net/games/speedpriority.shtml )

In Pokémon Black & White, a new ability, Prankster, is introduced. This ability increases the Speed Priority of all non-attacking moves by 1 stage for the Pokémon with the ability. This means that all standard moves, normally within the Stage 0 band, will act as if they were in the Stage 1 band and so forth.

Guess I should've done more research before throwing the idea out there.  I was previously assuming that it was a field effect, but now I'm pretty sure it's not.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:23:21 AM by Magic Fanatic »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
I think I actually put Whimsicott in thinking that it did, too. I might lower its cost... and maybe make a specific ability list for it.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
A specific ability list is definitely necessary given how the first usage turned out.
...into the nightfall.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
I think I actually put Whimsicott in thinking that it did, too. I might lower its cost... and maybe make a specific ability list for it.
Yeah, Meeple added in the durabilities for the gen 5 pokemon and Whimsicott get's OHKOed by an average strength fire or ice spell. It could probably use a point drop.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Dropped it to 1.5.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Pick a Team, Rules & Brainstorming topic (Update 7/27)
« Reply #1580 on: December 23, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
I have officially gone through all the submitted teams. If you'd like to make a new one, please post it.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Pick a Team, Rules & Brainstorming topic (Update 7/27)
« Reply #1581 on: December 28, 2013, 05:39:20 AM »
Oh hell, I really want to do this, always really wanted to do something like this  -

Songstress (3.0), Peppita (1.5), Meru (0.5, w/th dragoon spirit to start), Bartz (4.0 - he counts because - http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/archive/3/37/20110706085756!Bartz_Dancer_012.png  , White Mage to start?), Lucia (1.0, Life?) + Nall (1.0, doesn't take up a party member slot)

No idea if this even gets past floor one of the current dungeon layout before crashing and burning horribly, but yaay dancers~
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:51:46 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Is this Bartz forced into Dancer for the entire Dungeon?????

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Not if he still costs 4.0, I would hope. <_< (I assume CT plans to take Dancer as one of his classes when that's possible, though.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I kind of sort of forgot how Bartz works~ I thought about having him White Mage master for F1, but then that might mean I have no offense, so I was thinking of having him as Knight or something instead, and yeah I thought about maybe forcing him as Dancer for the floor that becomes available, if the team gets there, probably not~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Elincia (2.5)
Rune (2.5)
Crowley (2)
Nelis (2)
Zemekis/Hydra (2)
SSL Sealstone

Ready for this to blow up horribly.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I had the same idea as Random, a team of all 2.0s, except there's still a point left over & all...  anyway, Team Tidus + 4 Revivers:

Tidus (2)
Angelo (2)
Garnet (2)
Red XIII (2)
Purim (3)
Status Symbol Law

SSL is better than usual these days due to nasties like Sanctuary Keeper lurking out there who'll just Photon Wings you out.  Anyway sit behind Haste & not die to status and just out-heal / revive attacks.  And yeah I just did an SSL team, but that was more a DQ8 team that happened to need SSL, while this is an actual team sorta built around SSL (and a "pick all the 2.0 chars" theme).

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I have some Qs~

1) Does Lucia still start with Gale, Rage and Shield spells as well as her default oils?

2) Would a White Mage Bartz have enough MP for Holy spam on F1? Also would have revival yes?

I will be in chat to discuss the dancer/a dancer team sometime later as well~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
1) Gale, Rage and shield are starting Crests, so she gets them from the get-go. For oils, she starts with two, IIRC? I don't remember which, but they weren't very good anyway.

2) White Mage Bartz doesn't get Holy until like floor 6. It's a lategame spell. I'm not sure how early Raise is, but it's probably floor 3 range.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Thanks Snow :)

I thought Bartz got to start each floor with a mastered job or am I not getting that right?

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
Thanks Snow :)

I thought Bartz got to start each floor with a mastered job or am I not getting that right?

http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dungeon_Stuff#Bartz

According to this, he does master 1 job per floor, and based on what I've seen from prior teams with Bartz, Ramza, and Cloud type characters, I would definitely grant Holy. Holy costs 20 MP (which is actually less than Raise at 29 MP), so I'd say Bartz could use it a couple of times in the first floor.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Sure, Bartz magically gets infinite JP to master White Magic, but you can't buy Holy in earlygame FF5.  The JP requirement is skipped, the "actually have access to it" requirement isn't.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Sure, Bartz magically gets infinite JP to master White Magic, but you can't buy Holy in earlygame FF5.  The JP requirement is skipped, the "actually have access to it" requirement isn't.

By that logic, you can't actually have access to a lot of spells, since magic only becomes available as you progress to new towns, and that's definitely not how I remember Bartz in the dungeon.

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
That's correct, mage classes would only have the spells available to them at the time.  In the same way Samurai on F3 is not going to have the Masamune, that's F6 as well, and Red Mage's damage will be excellent off X-Magicing spells that don't suck yet (relatively).

You might be thinking of Saga Frontier Blue?  I know there was some weirdness with him getting endgame level stuff on F1/F2, but Saga.jpg.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
That's correct, mage classes would only have the spells available to them at the time.  In the same way Samurai on F3 is not going to have the Masamune, that's F6 as well, and Red Mage's damage will be excellent off X-Magicing spells that don't suck yet (relatively).

You might be thinking of Saga Frontier Blue?  I know there was some weirdness with him getting endgame level stuff on F1/F2, but Saga.jpg.

Maybe you're right. I thought I remembered a floor where someone went Time Mage w/ Bartz, and pretty much got all Time Mage spells, with the only limitations for higher-level spells being MP, and that was also the point where Reset got subsequently banned. That might have just been solely my interpretation, though.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Or it could be that people weren't paying as much attention. Unless you remember games really well, it's often very easy to go an assumed auto pilot.
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Right. Bartz gets the job Mastered, but he can only use spells/equips that would normally be gained at that point in FF5.

So No Hastega till the point in FF5 where you get to the Ancient Forest in world 2 (floor 4-5), say. Or no Odin till you are well into World 3 (floor 6-7).

I'm not sure the Masamune is actually allowed to Samurai Bartz in the dungeon (though I lean 'yes'?). That is a point that should probably be clarified (ditto Excalibur, Magus Rod, Rune Bell, whatever)

I used Bartz last, but I didn't get  to hyping Quick till F6.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
I had the same idea as Random, a team of all 2.0s, except there's still a point left over & all...  anyway, Team Tidus + 4 Revivers:

Tidus (2)
Angelo (2)
Garnet (2)
Red XIII (2)
Purim (3)
Status Symbol Law

SSL is better than usual these days due to nasties like Sanctuary Keeper lurking out there who'll just Photon Wings you out.  Anyway sit behind Haste & not die to status and just out-heal / revive attacks.  And yeah I just did an SSL team, but that was more a DQ8 team that happened to need SSL, while this is an actual team sorta built around SSL (and a "pick all the 2.0 chars" theme).
I think you might want to put at least one character with options for the early game because that team has almost nothing for the first couple floors.

Anyway, figure this could be fun for a new team:
Deis 2 (4.0)
Chaz(2.5)
Peppita (1.5)
Whimsicott (1.5)
Yukiko (1.5)
Life Sealstone
Figure Deis and Yukiko should help the team get started, and once they reach floor 3 or so they really start to take off. Eventually they can get a quick MT OHKO of both flavors from Attack Up+Helping Hand+Airslash for physical or Tailwind+Deis Spell+Zan+Maragi on the magic side. Healing Dance fairly unique in that it's a lot of bursts of healing over time which I think should synergize nicely with Life Sealstone and Peppita has a lot of other neat stuff that she can do as well. I'm probably not familiar with all of it, but I'm sure CT can provide some in depth discussions on what she can bring in the fights. 

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Well I'll have to do some thinking on how she compliments your team since looks like you all ready have attack buffing and things (Peppita's is MT though) but I am glad someone else is using her again :)

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Well I'll have to do some thinking on how she compliments your team since looks like you all ready have attack buffing and things (Peppita's is MT though) but I am glad someone else is using her again :)

Well I can always stack the buffs! The idea of someone like Yukiko dealing OHKO level physical damage is very appealing.