Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 122424 times)

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Preparation, Rules, and Picking a Team
« Reply #875 on: March 11, 2012, 03:04:36 AM »
Well, to avoid any issues, I will just change Nino to Lute and that should solve that particular problem.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 11, 2012, 03:35:52 AM »
Yeah, sorry, if not clear, I meant "hypothetical Ewan joining immediately."  (Obviously terrible if that proviso isn't added.)  That said Lute is shiny and her low CON is funny so I approve.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #877 on: March 11, 2012, 06:51:49 AM »
I like Ewan for much the same reason as I like the idea of FE9 Tanith in the Dungeon. Summoning extra targets/meatshields/fodder isn't a niche that's been made available yet and I think it's a much more clear-cut option in the Dungeon than the DL. Even if the summoned fodder isn't particularly helpful, there's got to be some strategies that would be interesting there.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 11, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »
If you want an FE8 Summoner, I highly recommend Knoll. He's not nearly as underlevelled and his summons are legitimately better (along with his combat being worse!), so he's much more likely to be played as a Summoner in-game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 11, 2012, 08:22:38 AM »
Also FE8 summons in the Dungeon are terrible.  They're acceptable in-game because you send one out and say "We'll be right behind you!" and then lure enemies out who horribly overkill the poor summon, but then you get to strike first.  That positional game doesn't fly in the Dungeon where you're just giving up a turn instead.

Ewan sucks, but hypothetical Ewan is sort of interesting in that he can go Anima *or* Dark.  Not that this makes an amazing amount of difference.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 11, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
FE8 phantoms are not even remotely interesting in the dungeon.  Whoo completely ignorable target that you have to waste a turn summoning and it might as well have no offense.  It only matters defensively (which is pretty much its only use ingame) in dungeon for helping to screw up randotargetting or unfocusing MT that depends on how many people get hit and those are hardly common occurances in the dungeon and even when it does come up it is basically "you used a turn on that?"

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #881 on: March 12, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
If they are -that- useless, then I'd rather support FE9 Tanith in the Dungeon for the same function. She can at least spam enough Pegasus Mooks (2 at a time) to swarm healers (also, if she has 4 of them, then they can surround melee fighters and force ranged/MT attacks). She's also a decent Pegasus Knight herself.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 12, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »
Just to set the record straight, she can summon three at a time (one with quite decent stats, two scrubs), but only do so a maximum of twice per battle. She also will in general have to choose between "direct to surround a target" and "attack whoever looks most fragile", directed at all pegasus knights but this AI setting can be changed each round.

Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 13, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
I could get behind dungeon Tanith. Although, mechanics question there: if Tanith dies, what happens to any Pegasus Knights on the stage at the time? Will they just follow the last given order, or will they disappear too?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 13, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
Technically speaking the orders are given by the player, so assuming they do live, it would be possible to change their orders on subsequent turns. Not sure if they retreat too or not, though, although that could be fairly easily tested.

Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 03, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »
Neph could I change my team's Sealstone to Neo Speed please? =) Thanks~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 04, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
Neph could I change my team's Sealstone to Neo Speed please? =) Thanks~

Sure thing, I'll fix it.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
I keep getting confused by which Dungeon topic is for what. I don't think it really matters at this stage, they've kinda merged into one. >_>

Anyways, after talking with Pigs, I have an idea for a team, although this would be to enter after my current one. (I have a lot of ideas, but this one's actually kinda interesting!)

- Yuna (3.0)
 - Demi (3.5)
 - Yukari (1.0)
 - Yosuke (2.0)
 - Teddie (1.5)

So the team is packed with healers who are Lightning-weak, and Yuna starting with NulShock. Past the fact that everyone has some form of healing, Demi has good damage, Yukari has good magic damage, Yosuke has some physical/magic damage and (Ma)Sukukaja, and Teddie has ridiculous buffs and some magic damage. Team is perfectly capable of sweeping once it gets around the electric weakness, which is exactly what Yuna is there for.
Any thoughts on this one?

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 24, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »
That's a pretty interesting concept. I think the only concern would be high magic resistance, but even then you have decent physical damage to back it up with.

EDIT: You're also probably right, I was kind of lax on making this just the submission thread so I can probably just merge the two now.

EDIT2: Just to be clear I didn't mean a literal merge, I meant unsticky the Brainstorming topic!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:22:29 AM by Nephrite »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 24, 2012, 02:01:23 AM »
I want to say that NulShock only works on the first lightning spell in which case battles with multi acting bosses with lightning damage or just more than one character with lightning is a problem.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:05 AM »
I want to say that NulShock only works on the first lightning spell in which case battles with multi acting bosses with lightning damage or just more than one character with lightning is a problem.

This is also true.

CRONO FUCKS YOU UP HARDCORE!? (actually he kind of does)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 24, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »
Yeah, noted as much, and considered Cecilia for Permanence, but it wasn't really worthwhile.
But, really, double-acting/insanely fast Lightning-using characters are relatively rare, and should be easy enough to avoid on floor choices. Hopefully.

As far as more than one character with lightning goes, I should be able to take out a slower one relatively easily and Yuna can throw NulShocks around endlessly after that. Like I said, it's an interesting team more than anything, and I'm curious to see how far a balanced team with an obvious weakness can get~

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »
Deis1 (3.5)
Rydia  (Life)+Rosa (2.5)
Hilda (2.0)
Jane (2.0)
Nall (1.0)

...Sealstone idea is based on whether or not SH3 Stellar Chart customization is legal.  Resourceless if it's not, since Hilda needs the castings.  If it is...  I dunno.  Either Multitarget or SSL.  Not sure which. Due to rulings by Neph, I've made my decision.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:34:55 PM by Magic Fanatic »

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 09, 2012, 03:05:20 AM »
Changing my team.

Seifer w/ Body Charge (1.5)
Celes (4.0)
Benjamin (3.0)
Eiko (1.5)
Nei (1.0)

The Vantage team was fun, but I'll save it for next time. This is Team Seifer. With Body Charge and Song of Madness, Seifer will destroy worlds.  Celes, Benjamin and Eiko are Seifer's posse and support (they all have magic damage, healing, status healing, revival) and make sure he's still on his feet so he can keep kicking ass.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #894 on: May 16, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
They also have RAGE.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
Just wanted to make a minor note; Ramza is currently worth 3.0, and FFT Ninja is worth 2.5. For a mere extra 0.5, it seems to me like picking Ramza is a HUGE bonus over picking FFT Ninja. Ramza admittedly has to wait until Floor 4 to be a Ninja, but as we've seen in the Dungeon, reaching Floor 4 isn't the most difficult task in the world. Ramza can also dual-wield with better weapons, not to mention has a plethora of better Support and Reaction abilities. I would consider dropping FFT Ninja in value, if not outright removing him.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 09, 2012, 02:33:29 AM »
Yeah, we had a similar situation earlier with FF5 Chemist and Butz. I wouldn't think removing him would be too bad.

Since we now have a Saga Frontier stat topic with good mech stats what would you guys think about adding T260G with body type choice for around 3.5 points or so.
Pros: Pretty much all of the forms have great durability and most have good speed. Body choice allows it a lot of room for offense or defense. Omega Body has great damage and stats overall. Neat synergy with other robot type characters.
Cons: Almost all the forms have shaky resources. Most healing skills are less effective on T260G.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 09, 2012, 05:24:10 AM »
Ninja can probably be safely dropped without any issues.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #898 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
I would use the heck out of a T260G if she was available.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 12, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
I wonder how important the body types would actually be. I don't remember many of them having any use except the gimmicky I CAN ALSO HEAL MECHS one.