Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 122369 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Pick a Team, Rules & Brainstorming topic
« Reply #1175 on: October 29, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
Actually, this team has some -amazing- potential. Fast durable Marco will become a force to be reckoned with through Trans-turn hax starting floor 3, and Trans-turn on Jean will double up her status odds and ST offense (which will be game-best for quite a while). Trans-turning Bartz is also sweet -and- trans-turning Hilda into Entrance into Hilda double also has some pretty funny potential applications (or two Hilda buffs, etc.) - not to mention this should also help Eiko too, since she has the skillset, but not the stats. Not to mention it's a team with three potential revivers/healers in the long run. I'm pretty interested to see how this will pan out. I totally should start brainstorming some Trans-turning/Turn-Shifting teams myself, there's so much untapped potential.

EDIT: For someone who claims not to think very well in Dungeon terms, you have quite a few good ideas for teams, Pyro (to the point that I honestly think you have a pretty solid Dungeoning mindset, in spite of what you say <_<). Joooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin uuuuuuuuuusssssssss~
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:51:37 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 29, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
Jean's damage is game-best on Floors 4 and 5, and then is decent on Floor 6.  This is really memorable in-game since Disc 2 has solid bosses, but thanks to the magic of scaling, her damage falls off to below-average on Floor 7 and beyond as Hiro & Lemina's damage explodes.  Kind of disappointing.  At least she has MT options which even when seemingly meh are good to have, and agree that a double-shot of status via Trans-turn helps up the respect a lot.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
Worst comes to worst, she can be TT'd even then for immediately buffing and benefitting from it, though this is obviously less efficient than the kinds of options Pyro's team will potentially have, but you never know. Iunno, it just hit me how fucking -good- turn-shifting is and there are so many potential damage dealers offered by that lineup.

EDIT: Also, Phoenix for Eiko is like floor -4-. That's pretty nuts good!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:46:01 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
And because Pyro is the bestest:

Team Let Us Glitch The Dungeon Together - AKA Pyro Is A Genie In A Bottle

Shania (3.5), Sacred Slayer (Speed?, 2.0), Yuri Hyuga [SH1] (3.5), Raja (1.0), Nei (1.0)

Okay, this is not so much -glitching-, but uh nobody has used Nei forever? Lots of healing and revival, too, and hey Turn Shift Song of Madness into mass physical OHKOs. I guess I'm overusing Shania, but she kinda deserves it, and I want to see just how good can Yuri1 be with the on-paper potential. Thought about using Dorothy for once, but I don't think she meshes with this particular team too well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:56:19 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: October 29, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
Just as a reminder: Sacred Slayer runs out of gas rather fast. She has enough MP for 10 Turn-Shifts at endgame and nothing else. That said, Sacred Slayer's Turn Shift is as a move waaaay better than Trans-Turn. It gives SS the accumulated CT of her target, and then goes and Doubles her RFX anyway. Accelerate was only a part of the Unlimited Turn Works nonsense in WAXF. Also bear in mind that Sacred Slayer isn't that fast even Body Charged... she's only 107% or so. She *is* pretty crazy durable. ~140% Pdur and 200% Mdur.

Here's to Turn shenanigans in team fights. *Cheers*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 29, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Yeah, it's not so much the base speed, but the longer-term potential. Also, with good enough team members, maximum efficiency dictates she'll need to Turn Shift once in most fights, twice in a few others.

EDIT: Your point is very fair, though. I think I'll swap BC with Speed? and see what I can do with the spare half-point.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »
If you can get some, I'd recommend some form of MP recovery. Shania can get some back with Mind Assault, but all the other members of the team have really shallow resource pools.

Seconding the props on BC Marco, Pyro. That's a really neat idea.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 30, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »
Yeah, another team because it's not like I have anything better to do right now:

Emily (3.0, Multitarget), Aeonless Yuna (3.0), Nina4 (3.0), White Rose (2.0).

Eh sure why not. With new Multitarget (33% reduction rather than 50%), Emily now has spammable crazy fast 2HKO damage, and Yuna herself can hugely benefit from it as well. Nina and White Rose contribute for extra MT offense and healing/revival. Let's see if this team goes anywhere other than the gutter, especially considering the lack of status for the early floors. If I want Emily to ST nuke shit or I need Yuna's stuff to be MT, I can move the sealstone around. Let's see if a four-people team can make waves yet again (for all that it'll never be as crazy as Monkey's Rikku/Ginny/KOS-MOS team).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:17:58 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 05, 2012, 03:37:58 AM »
reposting fungineering

Emma (1.5)
Bartz (Thief) (4)
Gastly (1.5)
Gilder (1.5)
Pikachu (1.5)

Nall (1)

Press Turn sealstone

dem alt strats
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
And now, for something completely different (I totally just do teams for lulz when I have nothing to do):

Team "I Didn't Even Bother With A Name This Time"

Dorothy (3.5), Chemist (2), Kurando (2), Rufus (2.5, Multitarget), Bow (1.0)

Guess the theme of the team!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:03:09 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: November 07, 2012, 02:16:07 AM »
Multitarget sealstone's effect is being changed from 50% reduction to 33% reduction, so 75% status will be reduced to 49.5%.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 07, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »
Yup.  And worth giving the new toys a try.

2.5 Elincia
3.0 Yuna (Multitarget)
2.0 Arnaud
2.0 Stocke
1.5 Eiko

Elincia ubers Yuna & Arnaud's evade with Authority and is a dangerous ST threat, especially since Arnaud can toss Slow Down on speedy targets so that they eat 4x Amiti.  MT sealstone makes Yuna a solid MT healer and MT buffer; FFX Protect / Shell are pretty good already so merely a 34% drop in damage is still totally useful vs. magic or ITE physicals.  This is the core of the team.

Stocke is a tanky extra reviver (with a dash of evade thanks to Elincia) who can also switch in the right person for a job; e.g. 2x Arnaud Sleep attempts, 2x MT Holies, 2x Elincia beatdowns on a tanky boss that can't be allowed to live.  Should give the team extra flexibility.  For the final slot, the most Elincia themed person would be Marisa, but this team already is worried about ITE physicals and that would be even more ST when the team needs more MT options, so Eiko it is.  On one hand, it gives physical attackers something useful to do rather than ramming into super-evade or Stocke's tankiness, but you know, if Eiko is enough of a threat to require takedown, that's fine by me, they've got 2 other revivers to work through in that case.  More importantly, Eiko offers some more MT damage options, and much earlier than Yuna's F6 Holy.  Sometimes you just need MT to work a group down and threaten 'em, and she does that, along with provide more MT revival, healing, Esuna, dispel, elemental nulling nonsense, etc.  Icing on the cake is that when facing enemy mages with physical backup, Yuna can drop MT Reflect and Eiko does not care at all thanks to Reflect Null allowing her to still spam MT healing all day.

I think the team has some amusing combos & synergy, if lacking some raw kill-or-status-them-right-away power.  In other words, they get a fun & exciting ride.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 07, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
Multitarget sealstone's effect is being changed from 50% reduction to 33% reduction, so 75% status will be reduced to 49.5%.

50.25%, unless you meant 34% reduction.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 08, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »

50.25%, unless you meant 34% reduction.

Indeed, you're right.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 09, 2012, 01:13:39 AM »
The Elemental Advance sealstone is being changed so it removes enemy and player weaknesses as well as removing nullification and absorption from enemies.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 09, 2012, 04:02:41 AM »
And now Andy's team would kill to have that sealstone (Basically are not going to get any better usage than that team).
...into the nightfall.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 09, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
I may make an executive decision and retroactively put that on his team.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 09, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
Should I go for ST or MT floor peeps?~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
Jane (2.0)
Geno (3.0)
Hilda (2.0)
Ness (3.0) (Firefly)
Mia (1.0)

Obviously there's still a few kinks to work out.  Not sure if I want to run this as a proper team.  Thoughts?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
Well, for starters, I don't think you want to have only -one- dedicated healer on your team, let alone saddle him with Firefly. Don't forget Ness only becomes a death tank at floor 6 at best, and he's still complete status bait - bad combo for Firefly spamming. Past that, not really sure what are you trying to accomplish with Hilda, since Geno's offensive buffing is at least just as good and his ID comes out much faster - her healing is very late and it's stuck on her slowest form to boot. Stacking buffs looks like the idea, but your team is -not good- at stalling as is. Only one healer, primarily ST buffs and subpar durability across the board are not what you want for setting up death buff sprees, and even the speed spread is erratic.

Jane is also not very useful in that setup, since she's not really setting up proper death blitzes and otherwise munches on points you'd want for so much other stuff, like healing and physical damage. You're running out of gas really fast if you rely on Ness' MT damage and you'll constantly need it to finish MT blitzes. It just feels like you're trying to do way too much at once with your team without putting a finger exactly on -how-. The synergy on that team is very poor, you need to work out what you actually want with that concept.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:23:14 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 09, 2012, 03:07:26 PM »
Team Neph Fanservice

TimeLord (4.0), Mei-ling (2.5), Eiko (Body Charge, 2.0), Ricardo (1.5), Mime (1.0)

So, it hit me nobody had used TL to his fullest in ages, nor has Ricardo seen much time in the limelight at all in a while. So, why not attempt something here? TL's spot as basically the ultimate status whore/turn manipulation bastard in the dungeon is pretty much guaranteed here. He can snipe the stone vulnerable, grant people doubled offense, troll single targets with TimeSlip, say fuck you to a goddamn lot of single fights even with OPF OverDrive... there's plenty of potential there. But I need batteries if I'm using TL (OverDrive may be once-per-floor, but it still rips out all of your MP and you don't want TL to be useless for the rest of the floor if he needs to press the "fuck.dat" button in, say, the third fight), and that's where Ricardo chimes in. MP healing and SH buffs and early revival -and- MT healing, not a bad idea. However, Ricardo has sanity issues! And his healing isn't all that good as the game goes on! That's where Eiko and Mime provide! Eiko with Body Charge is actually crazy good - okay durability, really fast (since she's average on the -dot- at base), her eventual borderline 2HKO damage turns into straight 2HKO - and it's even MT! - and then there's MT revival that doubles up as offense in the shape of Phoenix, which is floor fucking four. And Mime can compound Ricardo's MP healing or mime the SP songs if things go sour for songstalling. Or just mime anything else. But this team lacks fast physical damage! And that's where Mei-ling comes in! And she even gets to contribute with an extra handy buff in LightSword, nasty MT damage in MegaWindBlast -and- another source of revival in StarlightHeal. So it goes. Elemental reliance could be a bitch, but I'm not really worried.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:58:35 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 09, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
It like the idea of exploring some of TimeLord's options in the dungeon. TimeTwister is interesting because it's an initiative skill, but it copies the action at the end of the round. It could be useful in tandem with someone like Aika to make your team immune to magic, but still able to heal up at the end of the round with magic, by having another healing character drop a healing skill which would be repeated at the end of the round. Alternatively, TimeLord+Marco+Sacred Slayer for ultimate turn shift nonsense. 

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 10, 2012, 12:26:29 AM »
CT:

Well if you go for the Multiply floor, you may get away with MT stasisrune hype to buff with before actually beginning the battle. Beyond that, the ST floor has some mean damage that you'll want a lot of Revivers/healers for... the very first fight features two fast OHKOers for crying out loud! Not sure you can handle it with your awesomest reviver (Mesa) brought down to ST, and I don't know if Vanille had it there or not.

I think you'd want the MT floor but maybe I'm fooling myself buying into MT Stasisrune hype.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 10, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
Wouldn't Stasis Rune technically freeze everyone on both sides? >_>

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 10, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Thanks Pyro~

Yeah I was thinking ST might be rough because I wasn't sure if people would see Vanille having revival yet, I have it pegged as F3 in the mini guide for FF13 characters for the dungeon thing I did but yeah. It made sense at the time since F5 was Pulse and Vanille learns Raise earlier than Hope but. Two revivers on the ST Floor (Mesa/Priest here) just doesn't cut I think.

For MT I never thought about MT Stasis Rune hype, I didn't know Mesa had Statis Rune yet ~

I was thinking more Neo Speed Fang + MT Steelguard + MT Cure/Curasa Vanille + MT Cure/Cure 2 Priest while Mesa MT Victory Runes/Maelstorms and Peppita aims for MT chaos/freeze hype. Fang could try and sneak in MT Slow (if for some reason you don`t see her as having Slowga yet) off a quick Steelguard > SAB Buffering as well. Buffering is the mechanic in FFXIII famous for Vanille Death Commando 999`999s hypes but it actually isn`t exclusive to SAB > COM, it works with Firaga/etc > COM, Curaja > COM and with defensive carry overs like SEN > SAB while trying to poison Mission 64 and the likes, well buffering froms with everything really to various degress. Granted SEN > SAB would only work vs the next attack so she`d have to switch back after.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:13:32 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"