Register

Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 122577 times)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Preparation, Rules, and Picking a Team
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
Hn.  Well, I guess that shows what games I should (FF1, FF4, FF6, FF7, FFT, WA3, WA4, PS4, XG, VP2, L2, SH, SH2, BoF1, BoF2, CT, SO3, SD3, S3, ShF...)  and shouldn't(everything else until I play it through completely...where's a PSP when you need one?) bother with, then.

Uh, thanks for narrowing down my team selection with that guide?
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Bardiche

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
White Rose (2.0)
Songstress (2.5)
Ephraim (2.5)
Lyndis (2.5)
Crowley (1.5)

... Yep.

White Rose cozies up with Heal, Songstress kills accuracy (and, later on, shuts out magic), Ephraim and Lyndis bring pain to heavy defense bastards with Reginleif and Mani Katti, Crowley does his Wind thing to help out with the magic offensive.

... A-yep. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »
What type of team are you trying to build? What kind of central theme? I can help with that some. (Neph asked me to do a build with Purim/not so used characters after my Maxim post, I'd be happy to do others).

Nama: Sacred Slayer is straightforward, so use her if she fits. But you generally need to know what you're using or you could be missing something critical.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Bardiche

« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
What kind of team? Mostly, Songstress is there to Blind/Silence as the situation calls for while Ephraim, Crowley and Lyndis all are pretty heavy hitters. Supposing people'll take the real TANK sorts as being vulnerable to Reginleif and Mani Katti I'll have an easy time with everything, and otherwise I just need to have the both of them utilize their (relatively) high critical rates to OHKO most enemies... I think.

White Rose's there because she's supposed to have good defenses at first, which ought be enough to carry the team through until Crowley gets more charges and Songstress gets her better Dances. Also, I hear her Mag Defense is still pretty decent, so Blind Dance ought save the day, right? ... right?

I want a team that hits hard enough to seal the deal fairly easily, and can stand to suffer some damage in return. Most these characters should be above-average speeds, with Songstress being the only really frail one. (and Lyndis cries against ITE attacks)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »
My concern is that the entire team floats around average speed and you only have one reviver. Not much healing or status curing either. If you want a physical heavy team, you need it to be quick as well. That's why Cid's worth the 3.5 in spite of the slow start.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Taishyr

« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2008, 09:09:58 PM »
I have (had?) issues with Purim at her current placement since her main selling point benefits the slow, and boosting speed doesn't help her casting time so if you see SoM casting speed as average, um.

(I recall the SoM interp issue being along this line, anyway. I see her as decently above average, if only because my respect for Randi speed doesn't exist all too much at this point.)

She's not bad, don't get me wrong, but I've not been inclined to make a team with her in it for a while, despite my fanboyism, because the dungeon was rather quickdraw for a while and her skills really are more of a stall set. The dungeon does appear to be undergoing a shift toward making stall games viable as well, though, which is fairly cool.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »
Yay Killey! <(^^)>

Nel's said crappy healing still helped to keep Uno's team a float aiding Garnet who unlike Eiko doesn't start with Cura and thus has relatively poor healing for the first few floors ;p

Nice to see people giving advice and information and trying to help each other out with teams <(^^)>

Though ... Look what happened to my team when I took the ST floor over the MT *shakes fist*!
;p

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:31:20 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »
Just a note on FF5 Chemist: The Potion+Potion mixture is just called "Potion", but it actually heals 90 HP instead of the usual 50; this is before their innate Medicine ability doubles all numbers.  X-Potion+X-Potion similarly yields 900 HP instead of the usual 500, although this is pointless as the X-Potion mix is already available for full HP healing.

Also, Resist Fire is Ether+Eyedrop, so it needs to be pushed back to all the other Ether mixes.  Although floor 4 for Lix seems kinda late, you can go there as soon as you get the Black Chocobo in W1... eh.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »
Virginia(WA3, w/Mediums): 4.0
Billy(XG): 3.0
Jane(ACF): 2.0
Jude(WA4): 2.0

(Alternatively, replace Jude with Maria.)

Virginia is awesme and gave a solid performance of her awesmeness in Snow's team. I don't know Billy (only VSM >.>) Jane doesn't seem to garner any respect before floor 3 or 4 and Jude is also awesme. Then again so is Maria.

Jude:

Pros -

*Great damage with Assault Buster
*Can do all sorts of snazzy things with Mystic ... providing he gets the FP ...
*FAST! That's important.
*Has a self buffing skill in Ley Line which might be interesting in the dungeon seeing as it does different things depending on what colour of hex he's standing on. If the voter allows the elemental hexes then Jude's Ley Line could influence how they vote i.e I think one version improves speed which in turn would boost Assault Buster's damage, etc.
*Good HP
*Good PDur

Cons -

* Damage isn't all that great outside of Assault Buster and Assault Buster respect varies
* Buffs are only ST normally ... I think?
* Cries to magic oh so hard

Maria:

Pros -

*Offense from hell
*Status - SO3 chaos is evil and Aiming Device w/th chaos comes early
* Support spells - Targetable not just restricted to self. I have a lot of respect for Power Up and Protection which is either +50% to ATK or DEF. Power Up comes only second to Power Dance to me in terms of SO buffers. For SO3 I judge characters with their unique/innate skills before IC~ Disc one twinking w/th Maria and Power Up is good. Mmmm.
*MP damage? DL in general seems to respect that for some reason .... and Maria's is good.

Cons -

* Low HP
* Low DEF
* Slow as molasses unless the voter takes ARPG speed as average.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:32:08 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2008, 07:26:51 PM »
Virginia gets mediums, yes.  Mediums allow for an impressive set of spells (including Floor 1 revive, despite being just ST)  However:

Jane doesn't get any respect before Floor 3/4 for a reason.  Follow Me apparently comes in around then.  This allows her to give turns to other people (Sort of a selectable Turn Shift).  Aside from that, she...doesn't have much at all in anything, Dungeon-wise, aside from speed.

Billy has solid power (and can deal magical damage indefinitely thanks to his Ether guns), alongside awesome MT healing (that he starts with) and Xenogears haste (that he also starts with).  He also gets revival later on.  However, he is slow before the haste.  And frail.

Jude...well, he's fast, and his abilities aren't too bad.  However, they're relatively expensive for what they do, and he doesn't benefit so much in a non-HEX format.  To boot, his signature abilities (Assault Buster, Silver Launcher) come in around Floors 6-7, as do the Howling Spike abilities.  He also ends up totally blowing against magic.

[EDIT] The stat boosts from Ley Boost last for very little time.  The only one that people consider is his MP recovery, which is just plain SLOW, though viable during totally locked-down fights.  Leypoints are often not considered aside from, arguably, Arnaud's Jump FA.

And just like in-game, he doesn't get the two skills of Kresnik's that actually mean something.  God knows he'd be even nastier if he had Adrenaline Rush and Healing Factor.

There's no real synergy to this team (Aside from Follow Me possibly compensating for Billy's poor speed).  It's a joke team of sorts, but that's about it.

I'm likely to, once school starts to die down (amazingly, cranked out a quality paper at 4 AM), actually try to formulate a team using the guide.  It'll probably still crash around Floor 2 or Floor 3.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:32:45 PM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
Here are some official changes going in.

Dropping:

Purim to 3.0
Ryu4 to 3.0

Nate to 2.5
Rufus to 2.5

FF5 Mystic Knight to 2.0
Lyn to 2.0
Max to 2.0
Rose to 2.0

Beowulf to 1.5
Bow to 1.5
Lucca to 1.5
Marle to 1.5

Jean (BoF2) 1.0

Larsa to .5
Rena to .5

Removing:

Killey (Being replace with Miakis)
Lyon
Prince Falenas
Quina
Rydia
Strago
Zemeckis

Adding:

Borya (Brey) 1.0
Yukari (Persona 3) 1.0

FFT Monk 1.5

Aigis (Persona 3) 2.0
Kiryl (Cristo) 2.0
Mitsuru (Persona 3) 2.0
Tear Grants (ToTA)

Luneth (3.0)
Maya Amano (P2) 3.0

PC Fou-lu (4.0)

This means if you have anyone who is of the old ranks, please fix them, and if you have people in your current teams that are being removed, please also remove them, otherwise I'll have to consider your team invalid. I will be updating the main post soon with this new information.

Also some additions in the future will be Red XIII with Enemy Skill Materia and probably Ershin with Masters and Scias with Masters.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:08:04 PM by Nephrite »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »
So no mass KILLEY hype. Nephrite(nee), you disappoint me~

Aeonless Yuna (3.5)
Mitsuru (2)
Hiro (3)
Palom (2)
FFT Priest (0.5)

It isn't as awesome if it's Miakis, everyone hypes her already. Besides I don't know S5 very well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:29:08 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
You could just change Killey to Miakis and be fine, you know!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
Default Miakis definitely doesn't seem worth a 4.0 but eh maybe that's just me~ Shield Rune alone doesn't make her worth that.

*nods @ Nama's post* Eh maybe I'm just too geared towards positive/optimistic thinking sometimes because most of that team doesn't actually look too bad to me o_o Virginia, Jude, Maria and Billy all look good v_v

I'm likely to, once school starts to die down (amazingly, cranked out a quality paper at 4 AM),

Haha awesme~

[actually try to formulate a team using the guide.  It'll probably still crash around Floor 2 or Floor 3.

Good luck!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
Default Miakis definitely doesn't seem worth a 4.0 but eh maybe that's just me~ Shield Rune alone doesn't make her worth that.

He means Miakis with full rune twinkability.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Then that is evil yes. Very, very evil *nodnods*

Bardiche

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2008, 01:56:25 AM »
Maxim (3.5)
Songstress (2.5)
Tidus (3.0)
Crowley (1.5)
FFT Priest (0.5)

Okay, okay. I think I've finally got a good team down now.

Maxim starts out with healing, Songstress starts out AWESOMELY, Tidus starts out with Haste, Crowley's got Shreddings and FFT Priest is uh... backup reviver. yeah idk.

If I revise again after this, please look me up and beat me down.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2008, 03:01:35 AM »
You change Killey to Miakis, but then take away Lyon and Prince? How evil! There goes my dreams of a Unite Attack with a 4.0 character...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2008, 03:09:19 AM »
Lyon and Freyjadour were picked like never, and I don't think unites are worth the trouble there anyway. It's just flavor, particularly considering their unites are ST.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »
Well.. -I- had picked Freyjadour...

Anyway, new team setup now.

Miakis (4.0)
Arc (3.0)
White Rose (2.0)
Lyn (2.0)

Mostly a physical-beatdown based team with Lyn and Arc, while Miakis fills in the gaps with ever-changing runes. Originally used Cecelia for this, but Miakis is a bit more durable overall. White Rose is a durable healer with Revival out of the box, and is mostly there to cover up any early Miakis/Lyn problems. Mostly chose these guys based on their synergistic timing. Arc and White Rose start out really good, but by the time they start to wane, Lyn and Miakis should be in full swing. Also, extra healing and Invincible never quite lose their usefulness. And if you allow White Rose to be absorbing monsters along the way, she should keep up with magical damage if necessary.

Originally had a 'royalty' theme going on, but since I switched Cece for Miakis, I'm tempted to call it something like Team "Save the Queen"... eh, Team Djinn will work just fine.

EDIT: What happened to the Rune guidelines for Killey? Are Miakis' somehow different?

-Djinn
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:32:15 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2008, 04:58:58 AM »
Well.. -I- had picked Freyjadour...

Anyway, new team setup now.

Miakis (4.0)
Arc (3.0)
White Rose (2.0)
Lyn (2.0)

Mostly a physical-beatdown based team with Lyn and Arc, while Miakis fills in the gaps with ever-changing runes. Originally used Cecelia for this, but Miakis is a bit more durable overall. White Rose is a durable healer with Revival out of the box, and is mostly there to cover up any early Miakis/Lyn problems. Mostly chose these guys based on their synergistic timing. Arc and White Rose start out really good, but by the time they start to wane, Lyn and Miakis should be in full swing. Also, extra healing and Invincible never quite lose their usefulness. And if you allow White Rose to be absorbing monsters along the way, she should keep up with magical damage if necessary.

Originally had a 'royalty' theme going on, but since I switched Cece for Miakis, I'm tempted to call it something like Team "Save the Queen"... eh, Team Djinn will work just fine.

EDIT: What happened to the Rune guidelines for Killey? Are Miakis' somehow different?

-Djinn

Miakis' will be very different, she also has skill setup options. I'm going to work with Excal on that one, you should see something soon. :)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2008, 08:21:30 AM »
Out of curiosity, if I were to, say, drop Lyn in favor of Rennac (for an extra point to play around with), would I be able to pick Nina3 (.5) and Nall (.5) for my party?

Since Nall doesn't actually take up a party slot in Lunar1, I thought it might be possible to have a total of 6 bodies if one of them were Nall.

That would make the party look something like:
Miakis (4.0)
Arc (3.0)
White Rose (2.0)
Rennac (1.0)
Nina3 (.5)
and then the extra Nall (.5)

Since Nall's uses are extremely limited, I thought that one of his benefits might be that he wouldn't count against the party size limit?

I'm not sure I'd do this, yet, but it's something that I'd consider if possible.

-Djinn

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
That... is something I'd have to think about!

Taishyr

« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »
I'd allow it, but I'm weird like that.

Put another way, it's kinda like L:SSSC that way; five people plus Nall, so clearly Nall can survive as a Sixth Column. >_>

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
Jude
Arnaud
Yulie
Raquel