Register

Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 122637 times)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Preparation, Rules, and Picking a Team
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2008, 12:40:39 AM »
Anyway, team setup debated and ultimately decided in chat.  Probably still won't make it past Floor 3, but I can hope.

Maybe.

Anyway:
Rune[PS4](3.0)
Geddoe[S3](3.0)
Kyra[PS4](2.0)
Selan[L2](2.0)
Mime[FF5](1.0)

...Well, there's MT everywhere.  And lots of it at that.  Mime pitches in where convenient, perhaps.

...that's all I can think of.  Hoping it does well. ^^;
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2008, 01:19:24 AM »
Take 3, with take 2 having been discarded as cool but unlikely to work, using 4 characters whose costs have dropped somewhat recently.

3.5 Jessica
3 Purim
2 Lyn
2 Garnet
.5 Rena

I don't think anybody's tried to use DQ8 Jessica yet...  considering that Rika is in general a lot better for only half a point more (ID!  Evade boosting with the agility boost!  Speed debuffs!  Team healing that's good and you can get before Floor 7!).  But Rika needs to die, so Jessica it is.  She's got her own things that Rika doesn't have, at least, like damage, attack buffs, and (late) full revival.  Also, if you allow Accelerate to if nothing else break ties on the first turn between average speed people, she can hopefully speed up Purim to get the statusy drop on avg. speed opponents.  Failing that: For boss battles, Oomph Lyn, watch blood fly.  Garnet is the healer who actually gets her revival spells remotely on time, hopefully getting through the earlier floors and providing mage backup on later floors.  Also: 4 Revivers on floor 6?!?  (Still won't help against some of the mass-status effects late in the Dungeon.)

...well, that's the plan, at least.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:10:49 AM by SnowFire »

Taishyr

« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2008, 03:30:45 AM »
Throwing this up so I don't forget it whenever my current team dies.

Kyogre (3.5)
Maya (3.0)
Cristo (2.0)
Pikachu (1.5)
Raja (1.0)

Oddly synergy-based. Three revivers (Cristo's a bit late), everyone but Kyogre gets buffs, Pikachu has pretty fast/accurate ST status and MT Attack/Defense down, Cristo gets healing/MT defense up, Raja gets healing/MT defense up/Fire weakness close to nulled by Kyogre, Maya gets deceptively brutal ST damage early and nasty as hell MT damage floor 3 with Maia Custom. Physicals get toned down by Cristo/Pikachu/Raja, helping Maya and Pikachu's durability, and magic damage is something Maya laughs off and Light Screen makes fairly sad. Maya being status-immune from the get-go with the right Persona helps out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 03:35:00 AM by Taishyr »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01:03 AM »
Wow, Tai... that's a REALLY awesome team overall... I'm having trouble finding holes in it. It's not particularly great against multiple statuses... but Maya can heal most statuses, I believe, so it might just work out. And Kyogre's limited fuel is evened out by Raja'S MP healing...

Yeah, nice team.

I'm a little nervous about my team now, since my turn is coming up and I don't know what kind of Runes Miakis will be able to use yet. Depending on that (and the ruling on Nall), my team's membership isn't even set yet...

-Djinn

EDIT:
Quote from: superaielman
team can be blitzed

Ah, good point, it's not exactly what you'd call a -fast- team. Still, if he had a team that was this synergistic AND fast... that'd be broken...

Luckily, a team like that -should- be difficult (or impossible) to create with only 11 points and the choices available.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:53:41 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2008, 06:36:46 AM »
Team can be blitzed. It's built damn well though.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Taishyr

« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »
It can be blitzed, yeah, but the enemy needs to be pretty bloody careful to do it - Maya can be a complete ass to get around and Kyogre's durable as hell. The main issues with blitzing will come later on, yeah.

There are two primary issues; one of the healers (Maya) lacks status healing (Yeah. There's one spell in P2 that does this. All of one person has any argument for it in the DL, and that's Ulala.). The other is the durability pre-buffing.

Maya's average speed or higher (good Personas for magic/speed, the men are all slugs, but Ulala breaks averages), Cristo/Pikachu/Kyogre are also above average by varying amounts. Raja's the one slug. Still, yeah, a faster team can manage it. (Slower teams dislike the amount of stat nerfing I can do pretty bloody quick.)

It was mainly built on "Okay, I'm a Persona 2 Maya fanboy. But her damage isn't as impressive as I'd like early on... Well, Kyogre boosts that! Kyogre's drizzle... also nerfs Fire and boosts Lightning accuracy. Wait, not Lightning, just Thunder. ...Pikachu gets Thunder, but I'm pretty sure he sucks in a te- wait, Growl and Tail Whip are MT? And he gets Light Screen? Huh. So those three... Well, I need a good pair with my remaining 3.0, none of the 1.5s look terribly appealing aside from Crowley whom I'm already using... Huh, Cristo get anything aside from healing and Upper? Status? Okay, he works. And... a 1.0. ... Hell, I'm not fond of Raja in the dungeon, but here I can hype DRIZZLE neutralizing his weakness. So um, yeah, he's in I guess."

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
My team still stands as Aeonless Yuna, Tidus, Maria, Peppita and Adray.

Shouldn't be too long until I'm in again =)

Djinn - Well the basic elemental orbs come early (Fire, Wind, Water, Earth) so she should be able to access those pretty much straight away. She may just want to stick with Shield though since she's only gonna have one rune slot for a while ... Not sure when I'd peg her second and third slots as coming. Another thing is I don't see revival coming early either since you have to collect four pieces to make a Resurection orb and the one from Eresh doesn't come early either.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
Okay, if it's allowed, I'd like to have my team as:

Miakis (S5, starting with a Shield Rune, I suppose) 4.0
Arc (AtL2) 3.0
White Rose (SaGa) 2.0
Monk (FF1) 1.0
Rena (SO2) 0.5
and the weird one, Nall (Lunar) 0.5

Not sure why Rena is a 0.5 while Tear is a 2.0, but whatever. Aren't they basically the same, except that Tear eventually gets a (questionably respected) invincibility move? I suppose her Pendant and FOF-cancelling might help her be a slightly-better mage, too, in a pinch... but is that really a 1.5-level difference? Even if you hype her Mystic Arte, that's Floor 5 by the time she gets a spell strong enough to activate it...

Need to find out what Floor Miakis picks up a second Rune slot... Battle Oath is only useful on the early floors when it'll hit at least 2 fighters (Rena's still able to cause physical damage, then). After that, there's a pretty decent chance of only Fury-ing my healers...

-Djinn

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »
Tear has better end game damage and healing and I think has better durability along with the mystic arte.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2008, 01:44:16 AM »
Rena has better HP at least. Tear has arguably better status protection, although Rena can get ID. Tear has Holy Song, but Rena has Resurrection and more potent ST buffs (as well as Anti). Does Tear have status healing and revival? Is Tear's somewhat costly damage make her worth that much more? Maybe to some, especially if they respect Nightmare or the Invincibility move.
...into the nightfall.

Bardiche

« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2008, 09:20:20 PM »
With Maxim dropping .5 points, my new team becomes:

Maxim
Songstress
Crowley
Tidus
RAJA

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2008, 03:13:48 AM »
With the ruling handed down that a Nall who doesn't take up a party slot will cost 1.0 (still seems high for what he does, comparable still to other 0.5s like Rena), I've given up on that idea and I'll just go with my original plan.

Miakis starting with Shield and Fire runes (4.0) I would have preferred a Lightning rune, but the wiki doesn't list it
Arc the Lad himself (3.0) Yay, eventually I'll get Invincible!
White Rose (2.0) All of her healing doubles as Revival! Decently durable healer!
Lyn (2.0) Destroys worlds until I get to the big ITE damage-users.

I -really- wanted to use Nall, but...

Anyway, so now my team is back to The Queen's Knight and her Queens... >.>;;

-Djinn

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »
...I forgot the Lightning Rune.

Nall's still up in the air, I need to ask around on it. Ha!

Don't despair, my loyal citizen of this great United States of America.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
For the sake of my own sanity, if you have new Dungeon teams, please repost them below this so I can start keeping a tally of everyone's new teams.

Also, I am allowing Sealstones to be added but need to confirm them, so keep your eye out for those. I will edit this post with them tonight.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »
Blue 4.0, Relm 3.0, Zozma 2.5, Monk 1.0 Rena .5

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2009, 04:28:43 PM »
Rune[PS4](3.0)
Geddoe[S3](3.0)
Kyra[PS4](2.0)
Selan[L2](2.0)
Mime[FF5](1.0)

It'll probably explode anyway, but what the hell.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »
New team, after I realized the failure of only having one reviver. ;p

FF5 Chemist (3.5)
Worker 8 (2.0)
Sasarai (2.5)
FF5 Red Mage (2.0)
FF1 Monk (1.0)

I just wanted to make a team with FF5 Chemist, who's incredibly versatile, with 100% HP + MP revival. I figured that full revival that isn't magical would go well with Worker 8, who just smashes shit really hard. Chemist, Red Mage and Sasarai can all heal/revive. When Chemist and Red Mage aren't healing, they're buffing and statusing. Worker 8 and Monk hit things hard, while Sasarai pitches in with destructively powerful TER magic. If I can make it past floor 4, I'll be satisfied. ;p
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:08:04 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Taishyr

« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
That looks decently solid, yeah. Speed issues (Sasarai's weaker stuff my be the fastest thing you have, Worker 8/FF5 Chem/FF5 Red are all below average speed (though Chem only by a little).), but a rather good stall team, yeah.

And for Nama's team... high MT damage output (that's decently fast?), I don't remember what Selan starts with but she should have Drowsy and healing, which'll help... ...Only two revivers (assuming Selan has it), but that's fine, the team's not really so focused on that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:14:02 PM by Taishyr »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »
Selan starts off with her DL magic, which is eh. She gets better stuff on floor 2/3. His team's quick and has a MT focus, so it should be okay.

Not at all impressed with Piggy's team. It has a lot of MT which is nice, but the revivers are all slow and frail. Can't do much about statu seither.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »
Selan starts off with her DL magic, which is eh. She gets better stuff on floor 2/3. His team's quick and has a MT focus, so it should be okay.

Not at all impressed with Piggy's team. It has a lot of MT which is nice, but the revivers are all slow and frail. Can't do much about statu seither.

I'll admit my team's got speed issues, but I don't see status as being a threat. Worker 8 outright IMMUNES status, Sasarai has an MT Esuna that's disturbingly fast (26 charge is pretty damn fast), and Chemist can heal almost any status Floor 1. My team's got enough resources to last through the first few floors, atleast I'd like to think, and Chemist gains Haste Floor 3 (although I'm not being overly dependant on that).

As for frail, Chemist's HP is only 26 points (insignificant) under the average, and he's only 2 points under the average for speed. He's not a speedster or a wall, but he can hold his own. Red Mage, on the other hand, is quite significantly frailer than Chemist, but trades in for a bit of speed (granted, not much, just enough to hit the average).

I might have to make a small change to have a bit more speed, but I don't see my team currently as THAT unimpressive. Like Tai said, it's more of a stall team than a sweep team. ;p

And my apologies in advance, I just felt the need to rebuttal my team in defense. Your opinion is your own, and I totally accept your criticism. ;p
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:57:31 PM by ThePiggyman »

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2009, 12:20:23 AM »
Hmm... I want to try something that's not speed-based. So I'm gonna try a defensive team with back-loaded damage.

Cloud (4.0)
Raquel (3.0)
Yulie (2.0)
Aika (2.0)

Raquel and Yulie are incredibly slow, while Cloud is middling. Aika is quick, but she's not my damage-dealer. She can handle some MT Magic damage early on, I suppose. Basically, she's there for Delta Shield all the time as soon as she can do that (Floor 3? 4?) She should get it by 3 at the latest, though she might be able to cast it every other turn on Floor 2 if she gets it there. Delta Shield will handle any of that pesky status, and help keep Yulie alive. Also, if Dungeon-Aika can actually learn magic, then she can act as a secondary healer or as an ID status-whore. Not sure if she gets any magic, though. Yulie's mostly there for the FP boost so that Raquel can Intrude things to death. Cloud's materia to fill in the holes - Cover for early protection until Delta Shield shows up, and maybe give him Status and back-up Healing/Reviving. I really wanted Nall too... but the points don't allow it.

My biggest concern is getting the team past Floor 2 again...

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2009, 01:03:32 AM »

I'll admit my team's got speed issues, but I don't see status as being a threat. Worker 8 outright IMMUNES status, Sasarai has an MT Esuna that's disturbingly fast (26 charge is pretty damn fast), and Chemist can heal almost any status Floor 1. My team's got enough resources to last through the first few floors, atleast I'd like to think, and Chemist gains Haste Floor 3 (although I'm not being overly dependant on that).

As for frail, Chemist's HP is only 26 points (insignificant) under the average, and he's only 2 points under the average for speed. He's not a speedster or a wall, but he can hold his own. Red Mage, on the other hand, is quite significantly frailer than Chemist, but trades in for a bit of speed (granted, not much, just enough to hit the average).

I might have to make a small change to have a bit more speed, but I don't see my team currently as THAT unimpressive. Like Tai said, it's more of a stall team than a sweep team. ;p

And my apologies in advance, I just felt the need to rebuttal my team in defense. Your opinion is your own, and I totally accept your criticism. ;p

*Nods* No, it's fine. Defending your team and defining what it does can only help you.  When does it get ti's revival? Can it handle MT attacks? Sas is frail and Worker doesn't play well in a team setting.

Djinn: Aika learns Green magic in the DL regardless and the ID is like 18 SP. Cloud you're going to want to build for support. Cover or healing early on isn't a bad idea. No idea how that team will work in practice, but it starts awfully slow.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:05:19 AM by superaielman »
-------------------

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:44 AM »

Djinn: Aika learns Green magic in the DL regardless and the ID is like 18 SP. Cloud you're going to want to build for support. Cover or healing early on isn't a bad idea. No idea how that team will work in practice, but it starts awfully slow.

Do you think Raquel/Yulie's double Forceskill MP healing will work on Aika's SoA SP?

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2009, 01:38:41 AM »
*Nods* No, it's fine. Defending your team and defining what it does can only help you.  When does it get ti's revival? Can it handle MT attacks? Sas is frail and Worker doesn't play well in a team setting.

Chemist starts with 100% HP + MP revival that's not magical, so, true, Worker 8 doesn't work well in a team setting, but atleast I can bring him back to life, which'll do me some good, especially considering how much he'll be hurting himself off Compress and Crush. Sas' revival is his level 4 charge for the Flowing Rune, so admittedly, that's to be used in a worst case scenario. He's got S3 Silent Lake, though, and quite a few charges of it, so that's a big lol to any magic-based teams. Kindness Rain for full MT healing (minus Worker 8), too, in case MT attacks become too much of a hassle. Now, if only he was faster, because I realize that my team is becoming rather dependant on Sas. ;o

Red Mage gains Life with Red3, so I'd call that Floor 3, about? Until then, he'll enjoy flinging crippling status like Mute, Sleep and Toad. And looking over, he's got Safe, if anyone really needs that boost in defense (halves all physical damage).

Oh yeah, and FF1 Monk... hits shit? Haha, he was my last 1 point pick, and I figured I could use some more manpower that wasn't slow as shit. ;p

Taishyr

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:45 AM »
Assuming that FF5/FFT characters follow the same rules as Bartz/Ramza, Red Mage maxes his job floor 1 by Dungeon rules. Even if this isn't the case he still gets life floor 2 (Karnak). Thus he technically gets double-cast Life floor 2, maybe a bit later if you hold the single jobs to different rules than Bartz/Ramza.