Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 122645 times)

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Preparation, Rules, and Picking a Team
« Reply #400 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »
Yikes, Mint's revival is a lot later than I thought it was. I need revival earlier than that.

Switched out Mint for Tear. Editted it on my team.

EDIT: Might as well repost it here, for convenience.

Fogel (3.0)
FF5 Chemist (3.5)
Cray w/ Speed? (1.0)
Sasarai (2.5)
Tear (1.0)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:16:15 PM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2009, 06:38:06 AM »
Team Yuri
Sealstone: Love Love
Yuri1 (3.5)
Yuri2 (3.5)
Chie (2)
Yukiko (1.5)
Ditto (0.5)

Best team ever, or best team ever?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:06:10 AM by The King in Yellow »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2009, 01:16:46 AM »
For those who don't keep up with the brainstorming post, the following people are being officially added:

Shania, Shadow Hearts 3

Yosuke, Chie, Naoto, Teddie and Yukiko, Persona 4

Jeff, Earthbound

Ivan, Golden Sun

Cielo, DDS

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »
Team modified to reflect this new information.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »
I've also changed Cecil to 4DS. Doesn't change his numerical ranking any and he's a better dungeon choice for it.

Oh yeah, and Nall's back as a .5 that DOES take up a party slot. There are now 2 Nalls. Don't use both.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:30:11 AM by Nephrite »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2009, 02:19:21 AM »
Okay, I'd like to change my team in light of the newest additions. Can't find my previous post, so just gonna post my new team here~

With the Status Symbol Law Sealstone:
Cielo (3.0) (Who'd've thought, eh?)
Geno (3.0)
Juan (1.5)
Yukiko (1.5)
Mint  (1.0)
Nall (1.0)

Spoke to Neph about Status Symbol and Juan:
[02:03] <Nephrite> Well, you have two options.
[02:03] <Nephrite> You can either keep the sleep and need to poke him and he goes berserk.
[02:03] <Nephrite> Or, and I believe this can be tested in-game, he starts battles awake but has no berserk.

Edited based on the recent comments. Mint & Yukiko are there as healers, while Yukiko & Cielo can hit stuff with magic (worked out that I'd be having trouble on Floor 1 Fight 2 otherwise... Bloody Steelix.) Juan's still there to tear stuff apart, while Geno hits with damn powerful attacks and/or ID. Nall, as always to clean up afterwards.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:28:40 AM by Yoshiken »

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 10, 2009, 05:45:34 AM »
Heh, that takes me back.  Yuna poking Juan awake was my first team's strat.  Didn't work out too well then, but there's a lot more options for the other slots now.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 10, 2009, 05:50:03 AM »
Heh, that takes me back.  Yuna poking Juan awake was my first team's strat.  Didn't work out too well then, but there's a lot more options for the other slots now.

NALL COULD DO IT?

no

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 10, 2009, 06:29:02 AM »
Rand has Wake, which is a -really- weak hit.  It's slow to come, but its damage is negligible.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 10, 2009, 06:58:59 AM »
Rand has Wake, which is a -really- weak hit.  It's slow to come, but its damage is negligible.

It also has like a 30% chance of reviving someone with 1 HP! Which I never knew because Breath of Fire 2 was not well-documented at the time that I played it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 10, 2009, 07:01:18 AM »
As a side-note, the evaluation on Juan regarding the Status Law sealstone is indeed correct. He starts awake, but without the Berserk effect. This is actually a net gain for him.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Hmm. Better for my team for Juan to start awake/non-berserked? Either way, I'm pretty happy with this team idea~

Taishyr

« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
My only concern for the team is the stat drop making Yuna not that great on speed, and dropping Cielo to below average which hurts for the two healers/revivers. Otherwise, should work out pretty well? Cielo under Status Symbol will be intimidating.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
The team lacks good magic and MT damage until pretty late, but the physical damage should help to make up for it. I'd try to avoid any floor with physical tanks.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »
In light of the new additions, I'd like to change my team to...

Ivan (Life Sealstone) (3.0)
Lucian (2.5)
Claude (2.5)
Sharanda (2.0)
Shiho (1.0)

Shining Bolt hype is go.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:54:38 PM by Random Consonant »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
The team lacks good magic and MT damage until pretty late, but the physical damage should help to make up for it. I'd try to avoid any floor with physical tanks.

Uhh, good magic? Cielo has above average magic and gets Elec Boost by Floor 2 to help with that. The only real problem will be if they also immune/resist electric, and I'll already be getting buffs/debuffs on Cielo by F4, while Yuna can Protect early on if needed to survive physical tanks.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2009, 01:28:11 AM »
That's true, but keep in mind that the status symbol law is going to be reducing that damage by a bit. You're team works well against strong single opponents, but against a group they're going to struggle a bit.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2009, 03:32:58 AM »
Alright, another team change in light of the comments here and a little research - looks like my old team wasn't getting past the second fight of Floor 1, thanks to Steelix nulling all of Cielo's decent damage, and SSL's stat lowering.
Now, I've got Yukiko for a second element, both her & Cielo get early MT and I've switched in Geno for some ID & lethal physicals. Mint's a cheaper healer who still fits her niche well here (can't get silenced, so just sit and heal/revive) and Nall is... there to revive at the end, as usual. Oh, and Juan blitz yay~
(I think this'll be the last team change. Honest. :( )

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »
You should never hesitate to keep thinking about your team but I wouldn't suggest overthinking it. Go with your gut!

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
Evaluation time since I got cocky and probably picked the worst floor for my team.

Cecilia - Was just as awesome as I expected her to be, really carried the team with her versatility, pretty much did everything between damage, statusing out threats, healing, and (de)buffing.  Having Firefly to keep her from getting focused worked out quite well.  Her only downside was I wished she could just be a little faster on the earlier floors.

Raquel - Killed stuff, did it well, but was rather slow and didn't really feel like she contributed to the overall success of the team.  Alot of fights kind of felt like they hinged on whether the rest of the team could simply stall until Raquel got her turn, and situations where they couldn't stall really put pressure on the team.

Lilka - pretty much did her infinite healing/revival thing, one thing though was she got her Hi-Magic arround floor three AND THEN SHE COULDN'T USE IT.  Lilka may not be the crazy mage that Cecilia is, but she has some really usefull Hi-Magic, except with Firefly she never got hit and therefore never gained FP to actually use those spells.  There were a few times that I really wished that Lilka could have used reflect or slowdown instead of Cecilia.

Jane - did her job for the most part, having Jane on floor 4 with auto ID crits was amusing, managed to get her banned from firefly which is also amusing.  I was surprised though to see people faster then her in the dungeon.

I think the next team I'll put up will be Cloud(4) + Sacred Slayer(2) + Jane(2) + Arnaud(2) + Mint(1)(Status Law sealstone?)

Still thinking about certain things, mostly just want to try out the Jane + Sacred Slayer combo, not really sure how best to fill out the remaining points with a team that can carry them to floor 4 to make the combo work.

Hmm, Sacred Slayer and Jane not being allowed together makes sense, guess I'll reserve Cloud + Nina2 + Lilka + Jane + Mint with Status Law instead.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:44:14 AM by Glen Veil »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 11, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »
I think that there was some restriction on Sacred Slayer/Jane so that you couldn't get infinite turns.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 11, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
Was there? Scratch that idea then.

Bardiche

« Reply #422 on: August 11, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »
Jane -> Sacred Slayer -> Raquel x2 -> ??? Win?

You could throw in the Violent Burst Law to Intrudex4 when Raquel gets a turn, but that's... sort of risky? Not sure. WA4 FP doesn't charge stupidly fast, WA:ACF does.

Sacred Slayer'd let Raquel double always? Yay. Throw in Aeris for INVINCIBILITY cheese around floor... 4? 3?

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2009, 02:28:21 AM »
Analysis, since the conclusion is foregone:

The team had surprisingly good firepower.  Elemental Advance empowered Hewn spam was amazingly good at the start--trivializing Floor 1 and making Floor 2...not that bad despite fighting highly magic-resistant opponents.

My real disadvantage:

Lack of confidence in my team's nonmagical capabilities.  Namely compared to Cecilia and W8.  (And also uncertainty as to whether or not PS4 "gravity" was non-elemental enough to get through Boss Magus' shield).  This made me pick the MT floor, which was likely my undoing in the end--if it wasn't Magus and the girls, then it's Alma.  A distinct lack of revivers also hurt my team (Past Floor 3...only Rune and Selan, and by technical extension, Mime).  Can't say how the team would've done later in, had I picked the ST floor.  It might've gone farther, it might not have.  I can't really say.

Ah well.  This sort of thing is what the Dungeon's about.  You do something, you lose, you figure out why you lost, you make a new team and try again.  And that's precisely what I'm working on now.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2009, 03:39:09 AM »
Okay, time for a two-fold scientific experiment.

Violent Burst Sealstone

Virginia Maxwell (4.0)
Geno (3.0)
Eileen (2.5)
Raja (1.0)
FFT Priest (0.5)

Simple idea, and essentially a more thought out remix of my last team. Basically, I'm wondering what can Violent Burst do to someone who gets more durable and damaging as her FP goes up, doesn't use it with her skillset sans Mystic and Summons (which are limited anyway) and starts with it at full - and what happens when you have competent support to make this even more brutal. The support is there to give variety and MT. Raja exists for healing galores and Copper Flesh cheese healing and FFT Priest uh revives in a pinch. Yeah.

EDIT3: Screw that, it's time to break out the Genos.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:26:25 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....