Author Topic: New Nyarlathotep's Dungeon Topic, Updated 10/1/14 with new rules  (Read 122517 times)

Taishyr

Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Preparation, Rules, and Picking a Team
« Reply #425 on: August 12, 2009, 03:41:54 AM »
This team makes me smile.

Jes' saying.

EDIT: Team modified. As much as I liked Speed? Raja and would recommend it, some hashing this out with SEKRIT CONSPIRATORIAR and I decided to go with this.

Team Elvis

Kyogre (3.5)
Maya (3.0)
Kyra (2.0)
Garnet (2.0)
Priest (0.5)

Multitarget Sealstone.

KyogreElvis takes the MT sealstone until Water Spout, abuses Water Pulse/Calm Mind/Scaryexy Face. Maya, Kyra, Garnet and FFT Priest are the groupies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:30:12 AM by Taitoro »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 13, 2009, 03:27:07 AM »
For Neph: changed my team around. Current layout:

Sealstone: Violent Burst Law

Virginia (4.0)
Geno (3.0)
Eileen (2.5)
Raja (1.0)
FFT Priest (0.5)

I know this is basically my old team, but this is SCIENCE rather than variety hour. >_> Sorry, love you! <3
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:22:19 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 13, 2009, 11:40:43 PM »
KOSMOS (2.5)
Arc (3)
Yukiko (1.5)
Sasarai (2.5)
Marisa (1.5)

Screw trying to win, everything I make from now on is to make Snow headdesk
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 13, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »
Why is that head-desk worthy as a team~?

EDIT: Also, Neph, don't forget that my team has the Violent Burst Law sealstone.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:59:51 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Bardiche

« Reply #429 on: August 14, 2009, 12:54:15 AM »
Wait, so under new Firefly rules, buffs don't take effect on the Firefly wielder? FFFFFFFFFF Screw the Firefly stone then!

Change to:

Jane (2.0)
Sasarai (2.5) w/ Resourceless
White Wizard (1.5)
Ryu4 (3.0)
Sacred Slayer (2.0)

My team had to get revised because buffs not working on Firefly users makes me go emo.

Strategy here is to have Sasarai nuke things while Jane ensures he goes first. Early floors has Ryu4 supporting with damage, White Wizard healing and reviving, Sasarai dealing brutal damage when he gets his turn (and he should be slightly above average speed on casting Earthquake?), and Sacred Slayer can give either Sasarai an extra turn so he can cast another spell (whoops doesn't have def-up, MT ice damage!) or give a turn to Ryu4 if he changed to Dragon for delicious 80% of Ryu's HP damage, which should be slightly above average but ITD? It ought to certainly hurt the enemies a lot and seal the deal!

My only major issues are with surviving the floors before 4. Somehow, I think I should pull through.

Let's do this~
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:02:06 AM by Bardiche »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 14, 2009, 12:56:01 AM »
You know, early floors Ryu4 really, really sucks at doing things. >_>

Bardiche

« Reply #431 on: August 14, 2009, 01:35:27 AM »
Once he gets Aura he should generally be OK, right? Besides, most the floor consists of... enemies who do not beat Sasarai before he unleashes his Earthquake. And Earthquake is generally OHKO damage on early floors.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 14, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »
Well, Aura isn't great, either. Mostly durable and has okay damage, but that's not awesome when all you have for skillset is like fire magic. He gets it in floor 1, even, just... it is a poor dragon form. You're banking entirely on Sasarai OHKOing two-three floors all the time, and he doesn't get six charges of Earthquake until the -endgame-, let alone in the earlygame (you'll be able to skip a fight or two, but you do have to keep in mind he doesn't start with an S in Earth either, although he may get it by floor 2, although I'd wait until 3 if he wants both it and the A in Water >_>). That strategy is bound to run into problems.

EDIT: Well, he still has Aura Breath! But that suddenly gets a lot less interesting as MT when enemies start dropping into him, and god bless him if he faces Ice/Water damage.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:52:47 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Bardiche

« Reply #433 on: August 14, 2009, 01:52:57 AM »
Sasarai has Resourceless, which means he can pretty much cast Earthquake once every fight. That should clean house generally. WHen he gets to his L4 charge and can cast that AND Earthquake all in turn 1 thanks to Sacred Slayer, he should be able to handle most damage dealing solo. Ryu4's just there to do backup damage and help with the early floors... admittedly, I'm not sure who I could use to effectively handle the first few floors. I'm open to suggestions.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 14, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »
I'm mostly concerned because, while the Sasarai idea is actually pretty solid (elegant way to circumvent Suikocharges when you're banking on them for straight offense), your support is execrable. I don't think White Wizard is a good idea as your main healer (especially so if it's not DoS, FF1o WW is one of the worst healers ever), and it sounds like your second healer, Sacred Slayer... well, will be busy doing other things. Not to mention your third healer won't be able to -properly fulfill healing duties-, because Resourceless kills a healer's ability to stall dead with the restriction. He's also your other reviver. So yeah, if you get denied of your gimmick, you're blowing up pretty bad.

Bardiche

« Reply #435 on: August 14, 2009, 02:09:51 AM »
I'm mostly concerned because, while the Sasarai idea is actually pretty solid (elegant way to circumvent Suikocharges when you're banking on them for straight offense), your support is execrable. I don't think White Wizard is a good idea as your main healer (especially so if it's not DoS, FF1o WW is one of the worst healers ever), and it sounds like your second healer, Sacred Slayer... well, will be busy doing other things. Not to mention your third healer won't be able to -properly fulfill healing duties-, because Resourceless kills a healer's ability to stall dead with the restriction. He's also your other reviver. So yeah, if you get denied of your gimmick, you're blowing up pretty bad.

It's DoS White Wizard, not FF1o White Wizard.

Sacred Slayer will, indeed, be busy doing other things.

Resourceless -only- affects Sasarai, so if you mean him as third healer... he's busy doing other things.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2009, 02:28:35 AM »
Yes, and you can see where the trouble lies. Having only one dedicated healer is bad news, especially when the near-entirety of your team has either durability or speed issues. (Although DoS WW makes it less bad) You also have essentially one reviver (Sasarai doesn't count as one due to both it being very limited and... well... Resourceless). The team will struggle a lot once you hit grind-heavy floors, and Ryu's dragon forms can't even be healed by dungeon-available means outside full heals.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:30:17 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Bardiche

« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:45 AM »
Nephrite told me Sasarai's spells have 1 charge each from the moment he has access to them─so if someone dies, he can still use both Land of Eternity and Mother Ocean.

I'm more worried about the pre-Floor 4 floors. I take Sasarai as having access to L4 charges by that time, too, so it should all fall into place. Hopefully.

But yes, I do want to generally avoid anything that can survive Sasarai. Teepo + Myria fight for example. >_> Heck even the Sephiroth fight. ffff @ flying things.

If I could squeeze more revival in, I'd love to, but I don't think I can afford to do that. :(

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 14, 2009, 03:04:09 AM »
I think you actually can, but you need to get rid of Ryu. Although the way your party is built, the minute you meet magical spoilers you're completely dead - like in the Magus/Marle/Lucca fight at floor 3. I honestly think you probably shouldn't bother with Jane either, you can use those extra 5 points from dumping Ryu/Jane into something with more synergy and survivability.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 14, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
I've decided on the core of my team, but I'm having trouble deciding on what to do with the rest of my points and which sealstone to choose. Here's who I've already picked.

Deis 2 (3.5)
Emily (3)
Jerin (3)

I've already thought up a couple of options for the rest of my team, but they both leave a couple weaknesses.

Option A: Bowser with Speed? sealstone (1.0)
Priest (.5)

Obtion B: Brey (1.0)
Nina 3 (.5) Elemental Advance sealstone.

The idea for the team is blitzing. The core of my team is already really good at it and I would like to support characters to add to it. Option A is the more defensive of the two. It has 2 revivers and Bowser’s Terrorize skill can help to compensate for their below average defense. Bowser, Jerin, and Deis can do a little over PCHP is they all use MT skills off of above average speed. Also if Deis uses Attack Up on Emily and Bowser Terrorizes the enemy, that could potentially be the most damage the dungeon has seen in one attack.
Option B is pure offense. All of the characters are above average speed and can rack up a 75% boost on ice before most enemies can move. If the enemy resists Ice, then they can still boost fire up to 50% turn 1. Also Brey’s buffs should be incredibly useful. Sometimes Deis may not have time to attack up Emily so Brey Twin Hits her instead, and Speed Up on this team is brutal. Unfortunately, Jerin is the only healer on the team and she doesn’t get revival until floor 3 or 4.

If anyone has any advice on which of the two would work better or even other ideas for the 1.5 points they would be greatly appreciated.

Taishyr

« Reply #440 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
I'd recommend the former option just for the second reviver, but Bowser/Speed? accentuates what blitzing you do have so well it's not funny. So A definitely from me.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 14, 2009, 07:47:02 PM »
One major problem with Bowser is that even with Speed? he's still slower than Emily and Deis so they can't take advantage of Terrorize until turn 2. A's better prepared if the enemy gets a turn, but B's better at preventing them from getting a turn in the first place.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
I don't think that's much of an issue anyway, Deis+Terrorize tends to mop up plenty and trivializes many enemies.

EDIT: And Jerin? Christ, the high-speed MT is FIERCE within this one.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:48:08 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 27, 2009, 04:05:41 AM »
Belated team assessment.  My team was based mostly around "work well with Jessica" and "underpriced characters."  Versatility was generally the goal...  a whole bunch of nice, small interactions and options, but there wasn't one overriding combo the team was based around setting it up every time.  I made this team shortly after a bunch of characters dropped in cost - notably, everyone but Jessica got dropped half a point from their earlier prices.  Firefly was just tossed in 'cause, basically.  Figured that after a cute theme team (my first team was 4/5 Lunar characters), I'd just go for dungeon power, though I guess you could scrounge up something of a theme based on the 3/5 princess ratio, and an aristocrat & a space elf are sorta close.

Jessica was interesting.  I was relying on her damage more than I expected at first, but since her damage is great, that's not really a problem.  It's certainly the one area where she's notably better than Rika, who always seemed cheatily good and annoyingly awesome to throw into any team.  Jessica does require a bit more careful use than Rika to make the most of her...  Accelerate not being the busted Evade booster that Saner is means that Jessica's opening move varied a lot.  Accelerate for long games, Magic Barrier against status whores, and often damage for blitzes.

Lyn was chosen to combo with Jessica, mostly.  Oomph was another edge Jessica had on Rika, and if we assume that Lyn does average damage on a single strike, being able to crank out 1.6 PCHP damage on a single target is pretty awesome.  Kinda thought I'd be using that more, but often it was faster to just have Jessica kill things directly.  On Floor 6 and beyond, Purim has Moon Energy for making Lyn into a ridiculous constant-critical machine, and when Jessica was busy, Rena always had Growth as backup buff.  (And for those who take all FE characters as average init., this would then allow Lyn to use Moon-Energy powered crits on her first turn...  a cute bonus.)  Anyway, teams need to have SOME source of physical beatdown lest they get owned by the likes of Marle, and Lyn / Jessica did the job pretty well.  She proved a pretty cool holder of Firefly as well.

Garnet was my mage.  An early reviver and MT healer who isn't actually THAT frail?  Sign me up, especially when she starts getting a good magical beatdown later, too.  Garnet's speed was pretty handy, as well.  The two-turn buffs get mocked in the DL normal, but in the Dungeon, two turns is an eternity.  And with all the backup healing, it wouldn't even be a problem for Garnet to spend half her teams recasting cheap buffs if it came to it.  It was also pretty nice that Protect / Shell were nicely different from Purim's Defender and Rena's Protection / Anti.  The others were stat buffers - Defender gets owned by attacks that ignore target defense, for example - while Protect / Shell just halved everything.  But more importantly, that means they probably stack, subject to interpretation.

Purim was mostly there to do broken things.  She's really psychotically good and probably a 3.5 pick to me.  Average speed is really the only problem, and Accelerate might (?) help with that anyway depending on interpretations.  So yeah, she screws over the many status-vulnerable PCs, has cheap healing, elemental sabers, decent damage, the ability to charge up a super-attack in event of stallers...  good times.  And that's ignoring her famed defensive buffing.

Rena...  well, she's an undercosted heal battery (.5 points?).  Who also has some cheaty elemental resists, blocks ID, and has some okay buffs.  Rena certainly did help for making sure that for long slogs I wasn't likely to run out of juice - most notable on Floor 6, probably, where having a lot of backup healers makes sure that the burden is evenly spread.

Pretty happy with the team, really.  It's too bad I didn't get to see how it would have done on the very late Dungeon floors - Jessica is actually quite good here, since Floor 7's Magic Burst is basically "skip target ridiculously crazy fight."  The later floors tend to toss out more full heals, and plus, since Jessica regens MP, it's possible to do things like "status out the last enemy, let Jessica regen back to full MP."  I can't really have any complaints because, well, I personally had a sincere vote for my team on Floor 6 which I still think was for the most part easy.

When I was working out a lot of the fights, I was often impressed at how some battles which looked scary at first glance turned out to be pushovers.  "Oh, wait, so this character has this one ability that mocks their offense" or "wait, their durability is too bad, they get wiped out before they even go."  So the team was definitely better when I expected.  Since Neph isn't likely to have too many above-average speed MT OHKOs (the only one I saw was Floor 6 if a team let Zera live - Ba-Boom! + Demon Horde Slash), spamming MT defensive buffs and healing is just a fantastic strategy for many, many, many Dungeon fights.  I had figured Floors 3-4 would be the toughest... Garnet would be the only reviver (possibly Floor 5 as well, since Rena's Raise Dead there is borderline), and some of the more broken defensive options wouldn't be available yet (like Lucid Barrier).  Firefly helped cover for this pretty well, though, and I'm not sure it was even needed.

An interesting counterfactual is what would have happened without Firefly.  Tentatively, I think I'd actually still pass most of the floors.  Floors 3-4 would still be exciting...  but not too bad?  Amusingly enough, this just means that Garnet is the "new" Firefly target, and while she's a suboptimal one, lots of my defensive buffs were MT, and the ST ones could just be piled on Garnet.  So I think the team would have hustled it out anyway.  The later floors, though, I suspect Firefly would have came into play much more.  Floor 6 was where Firefly was really helpful...  forcing Royce to waste her Firebird on Lyn rather than Jessica was crucial, and it also obviated any question of needing to kill Rofel since if he did get a turn, all he'd nail would be an extra Lyn sword.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:42:43 AM by SnowFire »

Bardiche

« Reply #444 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
Team revision! Thanks Tai.

Valkyrie Lenneth (3.5)
Sasarai (2.5) w/ Resourceless
Naoto Shirogane (1.5)
Tia (1.0)
Sacred Slayer (2.0)

No Jane means Sasarai won't be blasting off at high speed, but Lenneth with her above average defenses and HP will be the most reliable Revival and Heals! Naoto is hyped for good damage early on, so uh, let's buy that hype? Tia is Tia and does a lot of speedy tricks off of assy durability. Also Revival.

Sacred Slayer still Turn Shifts, but now has more viable options for the TS. This should reduce the reliance on Sasarai a little.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:38:01 PM by Bardiche »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 27, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »
The main problem I see is where will you drop your resourceless Sealstone once Sasarai starts getting - and needing - to use his spells more than once per fight. All your other PCs except maaaaaaaaybe Naoto (who isn't a good choice herself. OPB non-perfect ID? Christ) make horrible Resourceless users because they have either decently deep or practically endless resource pools as is. I'd probably reshuffle a bit.

EDIT: The team also sports absolutely awful durability, but that goes without saying and you're banking on reviving things constantly if you're getting hurt instead, since Lenneth is neat that way.

Bardiche

« Reply #446 on: August 27, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
If Sas needs to use LoE more than once in a fight I'm screwed either way.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 27, 2009, 11:13:30 PM »
I don't even mean LoE. Earthquake is faster and more efficient than LoE in many cases, and there may be fights where he wants to use it more than once, and there are occasions where his MT healing may serve you better than his offense - like when you want your healing to come as fast as possible multiple times (L2 Kindness Rain off an A is very fast and heals status as well). The fact that he can double as a powerful healer, if not too deep in resources, is why I tend to think Sas isn't a great idea to Resourceless in the long term. Geddoe makes a far better choice for it.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:47 PM »
Changing the team I'm reserving until everyone else finishes to Tidus(3.5) + Raquel(3.0) + Arnaud(2.0) + Lilka(2.0) + Meru(.5) with Violent burst.

Should be decently amusing to see how bad it fails.

Taishyr

« Reply #449 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:20 AM »
And once my team falls (I expect this to take a bit), new team will be...

Deis2 (3.5)
Fogel (3.0)
Jerin (3.0)
Adray (1.0)
Priest (0.5)

MT sealstone. No points for guessing who it'll be on most the time. >_>