Register

Author Topic: Post Restriction Mafia - Game Thread - Day 1  (Read 37377 times)

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Post Restriction Mafia - Game Thread - Day 1
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2008, 07:51:09 AM »
Yeah, a time limit on lylo was sadness. I certainly wasn't going to vote first this early in lylo, though, even if I were scum.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:26 AM »
It was less the 72 hours.  That I could live with, especially since we were talking.  No, it was the fact that we seemed to be netting an average of one dead townie due to restriction per day.  Given that we couldn't afford that anymore, I figured it'd be better to end the day before that could happen.

On the plus side, my strategy worked!  Posting restriction mishaps claimed no lives on Day 4!

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »
For the curious, these were the intended Tongue-Twist effects (since I don't think that list got posted):

- Polygot Sopko: Every post had to be in a new language.

- DemOttervator: Only allowed to post the poster and vote/unvote. Poster editing was optional as long as the new message didn't exceed the word count of the old one.

- Poet VSM: Every post had to use all 26 letters.

- Post Critic Corwin: Only allowed to talk about other people's posts, and each post analysis had to be done in a vacuum (no comparing posts).

- Mute Cidy: Nothing happened. His restriction sucked enough already.

- Elmer Fudd Alex: Had to be vewwy vewwy quiet: Posts had to be in Size 6 font with a cap of 25 words.

- Evil Toms: Heads had to disagree on absolutely everything, including who they thought was scum. The arguments had to be fairly even: one head producing a ton of content with the other responding with "no u" and variants thereof didn't count. (As amusing as Alex's and Smodge's sounded, I wanted to see this one play out the most. D:)

- Townie OK: Had to explode at anyone and everyone who did anything to even hint that he might be scum.

- Bullet Andrew: Exactly as he said it.

- Captain Shale: Easier to just c/p this one. "ALL you can say in one of your posts is a Planeteer Alert. If you talk about content, it must somehow be related, however tangentially."

- Salesman Smodge: Had to write an obnoxious jingle promoting the puppies and sing it in every post he made.

- Pretty Princess Excal: As you saw, turned into Mrs. Hyde.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »
Le sigh. For what it's worth, I actually had a good deal of fun figuring out how to communicate through my restriction. Kept a Word file of anything and everything other people said that could be remotely useful, categorized (opening, ending, transition, response, player-specific material, roleclaim-relevant for when the time came, etc). Andy's restriction was a godsend here, since it provided me with lots of fodder for straightforward responses--I was functionally unable to use people writing in paragraph form because for a long time I had no way to make it clear which part of the paragraph I wanted to draw attention to (adding bold or italics would've got me modkilled--this was the additional restriction I mentioned when Shale asked. Tried to explain it day three, but I dunno if anyone caught it). This forced me to reread the topic obsessively, which I'm normally quite lazy about doing, with the weird result that I was much more talkative and analytical than usual. This may be the first game I've played that didn't see me constantly getting nudged to talk more, and I was frickin' mute. Hah. Also, I'm so very glad Rat didn't kill me for the vote/unvote thing. I had no way to confirm *anything* people asked me before I came up with that. Had the player base been just a little different, I would've been screwed.

As for the investigation targets...I investigated Shale because he was both more verbose and aggressive than I'm used to seeing him be, and because I (like Corwin) had to be a little skeptical of someone being so helpful to me (even if his stated reasons for doing so were sound). Sadly, I didn't think to apply the latter logic to Yakko.

I investigated Andrew because of the similarity between his restriction and Tonfa's "restriction," yes. I figured it was possible one of them was scum and had cooked up a fake restriction before the other posted, not realizing what they'd thought up was perilously close to a townie's real restriction. Andy posted before Tonfa did on day one, hence why I went with him. Right idea, wrong target. Turns out Tonfa was just lazy!

Excal investigation happened because I figured he was going to be the topic du jour on day four, and in the event that he was town I could shut down a mislynch with a roleclaim. I was going to roleclaim on day four anyway, which would've cleared Andy as well had people believed me--I figured people wouldn't have too much trouble believing a power role was tied to such a horrible restriction (apparently I was right about this, since the scum rolecopped me). I was pretty much under no suspicion at all in this game (for the first time ever!), which would've helped.

And yeah, my last post was just a theory, something I thought plausible if Tom did turn out to be scum. When I got nightkilled, I had the horrible suspicion that people were going to infer that my arguments had been driven by investigation results the next day--which is pretty much what happened. So I wound up being in the awful situation of watching the person I'd suspected most the whole game be the only person on the right track and get mislynched. >.< I was hoping people would turn on Tonfa for starting the fallacious day three lynch train, but alas.

Setup might've favored scum, but I gotta say that Town fucked up hardcore here. LAL was really all we needed to go by to get 2/3 scum. I knew this and ignored it. For my own part, I didn't investigate the person I suspected most for his bad arguments...granted, lumping all the people with rough restrictions together and saying "these people look scummy?" What did you think was going to happen there, Cor? It looked to me like scum trying to set up an easy bus for someone who couldn't effectively respond. Beyond simple OMGUS, I had a helluva time communicating through my restriction as it was; seeing someone try to exploit that for an easy lynch? Hell no. I stand by the investigations I did make, though. There were too many people I wanted to look at and not enough time; Cor had enough mud on his face the first couple days so I decided to focus on people I found harder to read.

Main thing I learned this game? The Preview button is your friend! Also, Yakko is scum whenever he manages to convince you that he is town. Seriously, I'd pretty much written him off as being a townie by day three--in the back of my mind was FFT Mafia and how dangerous it could be to make that assumption, yeah, but there were more pressing issues by that point.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
Other than having headaches and all and going off too much on a limb, Cid? I thought that people who claim restrictions that allow them to lurk if they rely on them should get a special look of interest, since a bit of creativeness would allow them to get more content out there despite their restrictions. Thus, if they didn't actually do this, it would be scummy. This... was actually pretty accurate, though sadly innocent Andrew would've gotten grouped together with Tonfa and LD.

Adding you was... a stupid idea, going on an extreme of eliminating players for bad town play. If you see that as acceptable, then what use is someone who can't reliably and originally participate? Unlike bad play it wouldn't be because of anything you did, but because your role just wouldn't allow you to be a good player for town. Or so I thought. It's extremely shaky as it is as an argument, and had I actually considered providing you with lines/words/phrases/letters or seen it work, that would've instantly shown me it was wrong. Oh well.

It's a shame you didn't actually breadcrumb your investigations. Had you shown some sign of trusting Andrew....

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
Not sure how that last point would've made a difference. Unless you're suggesting that it would've shown that I couldn't have had time to investigate you and OK. Still, I was pretty wary of intimating in any way that I was a cop before I was ready to claim since it would've resulted in the next NK being me (turns out the scum knew I was a cop anyway, though!) Granted, I did that a little on day one, quoting Alex's statement about having a crazy role three times in one post! Which no one seemed to pay attention to anyway. Incidentally, my role was a large part of why I unvoted Alex so quickly on day one (and I was actually surprised by how little flak I got from this)--made me reconsider how accurate his assumption of role madness might've been (I, for one, was an assuredly Sane Cop--it's not often mods explicitly tell a cop that they're sane).

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »
Yes, pretty much. When do you think of running your game?

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 19, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »
Hopefully this weekend if I can get the players (hint: go sign up now).

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »
I'd just like to say I had loads of fun with this game - I never once thought I was being overwhelmed (until that last day when I had to just watch at work ;_;). 

I had stopped suspecting Excal once I got hit with the restriction and he claimed it himself.  That left Tonfa as my suspect.  Damnit ;_;  LadyDoor I had in the back of my mind the PB game, but didn't want to jump on her yet.  Though...yeah, I can understand why the votes came in fast - I'm still going back to the Deep Forest Mafia game >_>

Also, I agree with Cid - Yakko is Always Scum If He Looks Town (YIASIHLT).  Just like OKIATUHIIAHWPIWCHTIA.

Not much else to say - I loved the game, would love to see another one, larger if possible.  And longer.  It might have been a bit biased towards scum, but honestly, it was our play that lost it in the end.  I need to find a work-around at work.  Missing that entire portion of the day was death.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »
I'd just like to say I had loads of fun with this game - I never once thought I was being overwhelmed (until that last day when I had to just watch at work ;_;). 

I had stopped suspecting Excal once I got hit with the restriction and he claimed it himself.  That left Tonfa as my suspect.  Damnit ;_;  LadyDoor I had in the back of my mind the PB game, but didn't want to jump on her yet.  Though...yeah, I can understand why the votes came in fast - I'm still going back to the Deep Forest Mafia game >_>

Also, I agree with Cid - Yakko is Always Scum If He Looks Town (YIASIHLT).  Just like OKIATUHIIAHWPIWCHTIA.

Not much else to say - I loved the game, would love to see another one, larger if possible.  And longer.  It might have been a bit biased towards scum, but honestly, it was our play that lost it in the end.  I need to find a work-around at work.  Missing that entire portion of the day was death.

Okay, OK. I have to ask, being new around here: What does OKIATUHIIAHWPIWCHTIA mean? Its been bugging me since I saw it. Judging by the YIASIHLT comment, I'm guessing it goes along the line of "OK Is A Town Unless He ... TUHIIAHWP ... In Which Case ... HTIA". I still cant figure out that middle part, or the end XP

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
OKIATUHIIAHWPIWCHTIA

Oblivion Knight Is Always Town Unless He's Ill In A Hospital With Pneumonia In Which Case He's Town In Animus
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »
So much for my streak.

Around the time Shale died, I realized I had to be on the block, because I was the LEAST likely to break my restriction on accident (given its nature). I had some suspicion of Yakko for much of the game, (same reason as Shale, basically) but I really couldn't find something to pin on him.

OK's angry post is so fucking spectacular. I couldn't stop laughing at it. And he MIGHT have brought up that someone tampered with his power, given the whole "I WAS RAPED LAST NIGHT" bit (which is about where I lost it completely)

I made quite a lot of fallacious moves in the game, myself, but I'd like to point out that my defense of Smodge was spot-on, that I knew exactly what happened, and that I tried hard to stop his train.

EDIT
Goddamnit. Looking back, I remember being really annoyed at Yakko's being deliberately obtuse over things I -did- question him over. At the time, I dropped it because I didn't make a very good point and didn't seem worth arguing over and I let it go because the Limericks were trickier than they should have been for 1337 Mastah Limerick. (Note: Very, very briefly, I did victory writeups in the DL as 1337 Mastah Limerick. I actually really enjoy limericks)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:49:20 PM by Veryslightlymad »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »
Actually, I wasn't doing that on purpose, I seriously didn't know what you were trying to ask me.  I even asked the other scum in chat and they didn't know either.  <_<

Geez, people thought I was doing all kinds of crazy things in this game, and all I was really doing was just playing along and having fun with my "restriction". >_>

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »
Mm. So yeah. The similarity to Andy's restriction was accidental! I was really tired when making the check-in post and didn't like the restriction I chose later. Though I guess that added more legitimacy to it!!

Mafia was fairly low priority for the duration of the game to me, so lurking it was. Played badly, was very surprised that Flawless Victory happened. I was typing a fairly lengthy post on the last day, the first in the game for me actually when I noticed that there was a vote on Corwin, at which point I logged out and waited for the other scum to be present.

Never noticed Yakko's slip, though reviewing things on the last day I saw he wasn't really -that- townie recaps and Cid helping aside. He managed to completely avoid suspicion though.

On day 2, I and the whole scumchat were pretty sure that I'd be going down in flames the next day. I saw Tom's post, though, asked Rat "hey, is this modkillable", he went "no", and got this lightbulb as I went through with the accusation anyway. If it can fool scum, it can fool town!! Why I was not lynched the following day is beyond me.

>_> And now I know just how badly scumchat mocks town in each game.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!