Author Topic: Minimeet Westcoast 2011 - Interest?  (Read 8303 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Minimeet Westcoast 2011 - Interest?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
Elfboy and I will be driving most likely, and a third person will be tagging along (one who wants to see MC!) :) nudge nudge

Third person being...wait, just about all the third people I can think of actually post here (Excal, mage, Just Another Day).  Unless it's like...Erek.  Or you've actually started hanging out with Dora like I told you to....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
Erek, yes. (Or his forum name that I insist he will have, which is BIO-HAZARD EREK.) Mage and Excal won't get passports, and I think JAD is busy~ Erek has been wanting to roadtrip for ages with us, and we figured he'd like San Fran. =)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
and we figured he'd like San Fran. =)

I think it might just be sufficiently left-wing for him.  Have him walk around the streets of downtown where environmentalists literally jump out at you from behind light poles, start conversations, and ask you to sign petitions.  He's going to think he landed in some kind of utopia.

random subliminal message to hang out with Dora

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »
I love the random subliminal messages.

Also indeed. We need to go downtown; wonder how far it is from Gate's place.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
Only a BART trip away. And the Colma Bart is litterally walking distance away*!

And I'd be more then happy to spend a day walking around san fran with you guys~

Also, will be asking Jenna to look up local hotel prices and distances today.

*for me or Tai. I highly reccomend anyone else drive it.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »
*Out of curiousity how many miles/how big a walk actually is that?

* Clear Tranquil has been doing a lot of walking this year including a few mile whoppers and steep terrain~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »
OK, local hotel prices for that timeframe were fun to track down.  So many sites listing different prices, bleh.  Anyway, all of the ones named below are within 5 miles of us and, as of my searching, had rooms available.  They're listed in order of price (with links to thier sites so you can check them out).

El Camino Inn - ~66/room/night
http://www.elcaminoinn.com/echome.shtml

America's Best Value Inn - ~$95/night/room
http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/

Hampton Inn - ~$101/room/night
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?xch=1065386828,gv1XTpZdQLHtgmC210z53p0wT8PQGwKTGKpjG3c9355DH93zcRSj!1938280982!1318983965857&ctyhocn=SFODCHX

Holiday Inn Express - ~$145/night/room
http://www.hiexpresspacifica.com/

Pacifica Beach Resort - ~$165/room/night
http://www.pacificabeachresort.com/
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
You're the best, Jenna. =)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 06:02:59 AM »
So it looks like I can make it.  In fact, I'll probably fly in the weekend before (i.e. Nov 11-12) and do touristy stuff in San Francisco.

So question A: Is there any direct plan on what to be touristy about during the actual Con for the "walk randomly around San Francisco" part?  Because in that case I'll avoid said spots so I don't visit the same museum twice over two weekends.  (Unless the "walk randomly around San Fran" part is on Friday or Monday, in which case I won't really be able to make it, unless it's lateish on Friday.)

Question B: For the locals, any interest in being touristy with me on the previous weekend, Nov 11-12?  No pressure of course if it's stuff you've seen before.  Main attractions I haven't hit in SF yet are SFMoma, the art museum that's the Palace of the Legion of Honor or whatever, and visiting Alcatraz.  Might be vaguely interested if there are any interesting cultual events like the SF Symphony Orchestra doing something as well.  I'd also be interested in anything outside the SF area, although this would probably be things I largely wouldn't do on my own due to not wanting to rent a car.  I hiked some of Port Reyes last time I visited with a small group which was lots of fun, and would be happy to do that again, or some similar California naturey outing, for example.  Something as simple as dinner at a restaurant would be fine, too.  Or nothing is good, I'm fine with playing the tourist on my own as well.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
I'd be interested, but it might be weird: I'm only available on Friday, November 11, and only until the early evening (say, 6 or 7). Andrew has work, and then we need to drive down to Gilroy (GARLIC) and we'll be gone that whole weekend.

Also, I wouldn't have the car so there would be much BART/MUNI'ing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
SNowfire: We generally don't plan too many touristy things as a rule for DLCs and minimeets. It's...generally been the case that most of what people want to do are just hang out with folks they don't get to see often and play games.

On that note.

Okay folks, minimeet is almost on us so there's a few things I need to know.

a) are we going to need to pick anyone up at train stations/airports/bus stations/etc?

b) is anyone planning on crashing in the spare room at our place?

Also, a notice for everyone coming. This was not originally going to be an issue when I started this topic, but thanks to multiple unplanned expenses coming up, we are essentially broke. I'm still happy to provide space for the meet, I'll be more then willing to cook a couple dinners/breakfasts as well(if people pitch in for groceries for them), but as a general rule...we just can't pay for anything right now. So even more then usual for cons, people will need to provide thier own food/drinks, or be willing to pitch in to buy some communal stuff. I will keep tea and possibly some lemonade made, but that'll be about it. I'm...really sorry about this, but there's simply nothing we can do about it. Every month since August there's been at least 2 major expenses popping out of nowhere that we weren't able to predict in time to work a budget around them. -_-
<%Laggy> no not really.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:46:39 AM »
Lady Door: Ah, shame.  I'm flying in on Saturday, so looks like a no go.

Gatewalker: Rides to & from the Colma BART would be good on the weekend of the minimeet, since my hotel is in San Francisco.  If cool things are happening on Friday night, I can probably make it after work, but would arrive at 7:00 PM or so at the earliest, and more likely 8:00.  (Depends on if I bother to go back to SF to drop stuff at the hotel, I suppose.)  Otherwise I might skip Friday night.  Saturday I should be available the whole day (and maybe I'll walk it in the morning, obviating the need for a ride.  It's more that I don't want to walk it at night where it's more likely I'd get lost.).  Sunday, I'm catching the 11:00 PM redeye flight back out of SFO, so I'd want to catch the 9:13 PM southbound BART out of Colma on Sunday.  (I'd also bring my suitcase with me and stick it in a corner or something on Sunday, since I'd already be checked out.  Shouldn't be too big an inconvenience, I hope.)

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
=(, SnowFire. Hope you have a good time this weekend! There's plenty to do, so...

--

Do we have plans? Like when this shindig officially gets started, where we're getting together, that sort of thing? I don't need a schedule of every event, obviously, just curious what the flow is like.

FYI, Andy and I can't get off work the Friday before or the Monday after the weekend, so we'll be joining in evening activities on those day (if they exist). And, again, we'll need to pop into SF on Saturday night because of the NaNoWriMo write-in thingy.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »
Snowfire: rides to and from Bart will not be a problem. So yeah, no worries there.

Ashley: Friday-Monday is the idea. Our new place...which I'll need to give folks the address for, is pretty much available as the central point, enough space here to meet up and hang out, closish to a Bart station for transportion and there's more parking available along the street here then at the apartment.

Since we don't have anyone flying in...there's really less to orginize then usual. That and the fact that we are unexpectedly broke as shit means I can't suggest much in the way of events and stuff to do. Lemme try to gather my thoughts here and see what all we're expecting.

People
Me/Jenna: Live here, available Friday through Monday, no problems.
Laggy: Lives closeish. Dunno availabilities.
Monkey: Lives closerish. Dunno availabilities.
Andy/Ashley: Live closeish. Available...Sunday, early Sat and late Mon/Fri, if I'm reading it right.
Ciato/Elf/???: driving in from Canada, will be staying at a hotel(you guys know which one yet?), dunno what time they plan on getting in.
Snowfire: staying in San Fran, will need to Bart in. Available Sat/Sun.
DJ: Local freind of mine who may be popping in here and there. Warning, he talks alot and mostly about fighting games.

For Laggy/Andy/Ashley: You guys planning on driving yourselves over when you come out, or getting picked up at Bart? Either is fine, Jenna would just like to know how many Bart trips she should be expecting to make.

Stuff to do
Games: I have a tv, a 360, PS3 and Wii. Anyone wanting to bring specific games, we defintaely have the system for it. Only 2 controllers for each system, but folks can bring extra controllers no problem I'd assume.
Boardgames: We have some stuff, Andy has more. Any interest in asking those two to bring anything in specific?
Food: Lotsa stuff in walking distance of my house. More in very short driving distance. Also, this is me so I'm going to break out the cookery at least once. Sunday, probably. Sounds like the best time for people to be here.
Going out: iirc, Ciato and Elf wanted to hit a day in San Fran proper, so we'll need to figure out what day to do that? There's a bowling alley nearby(driving distance) from here, which I think we went to both DLC3 and 5.

Days
Thursday the 17th: This is Jenna's birthday, and she'll be down in San Jose for the whole day. So...really, nothing doing then. I'll be around if anyone with thier own transportation wants to come over, but I will have none of my own.
Friday the 18th: Snowfire may be able to come over late if we have anything planned. We currently do not, so day is a big ???
Saturday the 19th: Andy and Ashley will need to head out for the NANO write in thing. Otherwise ???
Sunday the 20th: Snowfire leaves that night. There will be Gate cookery for dinner. Otherwise ???
Monday the 21st: If folks are still around, hanging out is good. Jenna may have things of her own planned for Monday(not meet related, but family stuff) so she may or may not be available. Dunno just yet. Otherwise ???

Yeah, that's a whole lot of ???, but that's really how DLcons tend to go anyway, and minimeet is really even less structured. I'll fill things in as we get ideas.

For those coming...is this helpful, do you have anything to add, suggestions for things to do what days, etc? Ciato and co, you guys are the ones coming in from furthest out of town, so if you want to do touristy stuff I am willing to orginize around doing touristy stuff! Just lemme know when.

Also, mass PM with my address and my/Jenna's cell numbers will be out shortly.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:42 PM »
You read that right. Andy and I are Friday PM, Saturday AM-early PM (probably leaving by 3 or 4), Sunday all day, Monday (if stuff's still going on) PM.

Given that Ciato and Elfboy wanted to spend some time in SF proper, and the NaNo thing Andrew and I are going to is in SF proper, maybe we could do that on Saturday? If that were the case, Andy and I would just BART that day. Otherwise, we're happy to drive.

Just lemme know, because if I need to plan to be out the WHOLE day, I'm going to hire the dog walker to check in on the dog on Saturday.

Sounds fine otherwise. Don't need structure, just an idea what others are thinking. :)

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 11:57:22 PM »
Days
Thursday the 17th: This is Jenna's birthday, and she'll be down in San Jose for the whole day. So...really, nothing doing then. I'll be around if anyone with thier own transportation wants to come over, but I will have none of my own.
Friday the 18th: Snowfire may be able to come over late if we have anything planned. We currently do not, so day is a big ???
Saturday the 19th: Andy and Ashley will need to head out for the NANO write in thing. Otherwise ???
Sunday the 20th: Snowfire leaves that night. There will be Gate cookery for dinner. Otherwise ???
Monday the 21st: If folks are still around, hanging out is good. Jenna may have things of her own planned for Monday(not meet related, but family stuff) so she may or may not be available. Dunno just yet. Otherwise ???

Just a mini correction.  I'm gone all day on the 17th, but also a chunk of Friday.  2 movies to watch with the familia.  If anyone is needing picked up at a BART on Friday or shuttled to our new place, though, just let me know times and I'll try to work movie times around being here to shuttle.  ^_^  I'm off next week and the week after, so flex time is go.

And, Monday should be good.  If no one needs a lift, I'll head down to the family, but I can also stay home and shuttle if there's a need.  Not my fave way to spend the day (family I'm not close to coming in from out of state), but if no one needs a lift I will feel obligated to go down and be social-like.  ;)
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
It seems to have been a big hit over on the other coast, so would there be interest in playing Castlevania Harmony of Despair over here if I pick it up?
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »
Holy hell I am an idiot who cannot read calendars.

The NaNo thing is Sunday night. So everything I said about Saturday applies to Sunday instead. Damn.

Friday PM, Saturday all day, Sunday AM - early PM (probably need to be in SF at 4:30pm or so), Monday PM if stuff's going on.

*coughs*

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »
You should buy Harmony of Despair anyway, because it's cheap and good.  I recommend the PS3 version - Julius / Yoko / Stage 7 all come with, rather than being DLC.  Only concern - how big is your television?  Single-console HoD is split-screen so it won't really work on a smaller screen.

Also, if you do get it, I recommend not actually playing it until people arrive.  That way every character can "level up" at the same rate, rather than some characters having uber hard mode gear and others being stuck with cast-offs.

Games: I don't particularly want to bring anything big due to flying, but I can bring Ascension (think Dominion with a fantasy flavor, a build-your-own-deck card game) and The Shab al-Hiri Roach (narrative storytelling game involving petty academic politics + psychic Sumerian roaches).  Only PS3 game of possible interest is BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, but I'm pretty scrubby at it.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
I also already have BBCS~

And noted about HoD. My TV isn't tiny, but it's not big either. So we'll see how it works. Was planning on PS3 version anyway, yes.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
Re: board games

Andrew and I personally own and can bring:
Smallworld (Underworld and the original)
Arkham Horror and its expansions
Call of Cthulu
Shadows Over Camelot
Various card games

We can also, if we know by 11/16 at 8pm, borrow:
Twilight Imperium
Descent
Tales of Arabian Nights
Mansions of Madness (Arkham Horror game that somewhat resembles Betrayal)

... I know there's more, so I'll update this later when I have a more complete list.

We also have a PS3, can bring controllers, etc. Can bring games if someone wants to ask after stuff.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 09:12:37 PM »
What the hell is with minimeets and medical emergencies this year.

Jenna's mother is going in for surgery sometime next week. Dunno all the details, but what this effectively means is that she, and thus our car, may be needing to leave to go down to San Jose at any given time. So transportation for things may be a bit more spotty then we'd like.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
Where possible, Andy and I are happy to help with the transporting.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 06:26:01 AM »
Almost forgot, I'll bring Dixit + expansions as well, it's small and easy to pack.  Fun party game involving silly clues about surrealistic pictures; think reverse Apples-to-Apples with pictures rather than words, sort of.

Is there any interest in me bringing Washington's War?  It's still portable but a bit bigger than cards, so I won't bring it unless someone expresses interest.  It sounds like there's plenty of gaming on the schedule, and it's only 2 players.  That said, it's a solid game.  Card-driven board game that actually plays pretty fast: 1 hour - 2 hours or so.  Unlike Twilight Struggle, it doesn't depend intensely on deck knowledge, either.  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38996/washingtons-war

I hop the plane on Saturday, so if somebody wants to play Washington's War, say so sooner rather than later.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 08:16:56 PM »
Just as a heads-up for what our plans are, we'll be arriving Friday, either in the morning or early afternoon, and leaving Monday, probably morning-ish.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.