Register

Author Topic: Polling, Summer 2011!  (Read 2376 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Polling, Summer 2011!
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
1. It's been the summer of superhero movies. Which have you seen, and what was your favorite of the group?
2. What's your current favorite outfit?
3. What is the best entertainment purchase you've made in the last year?
4. What's the last song that really grabbed your attention?
5. What's the last 'summery' thing you've done? (Cookout, swimming, camping, chasing fireflies, that kind of thing)
6. Got any weddings to attend in the next six months?
7. What are your iconic memories of summer as a kid, if anything?
8. What's the last game or book you got heavily into/absorbed in?
9. You're granted one item of your choice as a gift/wish. It can't cost more than 500 dollars and can't be cash, just something that would be nice to have. What would it be?
10. What's the nastiest task you've had to do at work?
11.Is there a quote that sums up your worldview well? If not, what's your favorite quote?
12. When does the weather (People who live in super temperate climates like say LD/Elfboy get kicked in the shins for this one) start to turn cool for you?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Polling, Summer 2011!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:59 AM »
1. I've only seen Green Lantern, and didn't like it very much.

2. T-shirt+jeans

3. I dunno, probably Starcraft 2 considering all the time I've put into that game recently. Gaming-wise this year has kicked ass.

4. Grace Kelly by Mika

5. Uh, nothing of the above come to think of it.

6. Not that I know of

7. A birthday party where my parents hired a magician.

8. Game? Vindictus or Starcraft 2. Book...Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King

9. A PS3 would be nice

10. Cleaning liquid shit out of the pool...twice in the same evening.

11. Never know when I"ll run up against heavy armor. Better give me the GEP Gun.

12. Probably the second week of September or so.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:58:40 AM »
1. It's been the summer of superhero movies. Which have you seen, and what was your favorite of the group?

X-Men, Green Lantern, Captain America. Cap's was my favorite of the bunch, since I'm a sucker for the character.

Charles Woodson jersey, jeans, white sneakers.

Apocalpytica ticket in May. Best 18 bucks I've spent. Defense grid would be second.

New to me: Some FF13 track.
Old: 30 seconds to mars- The Kill

5. What's the last 'summery' thing you've done? (Cookout, swimming, camping, chasing fireflies, that kind of thing)

Cookout, 4th of July. Got mildly sunburned which wasn't bad, but the brutal sinus/ear infection made being social that day *suck*.

Two. One in NY (Close female friend, may not be able to make that) and one here for a friend from high school that I should manage.

Visiting paternal grandparent's house and swimming in their in ground pool. That was very neat.

FF4TAY for game, Alloy of Law's preview chapters for a book.

9. You're granted one item of your choice as a gift/wish. It can't cost more than 500 dollars and can't be cash, just something that would be nice to have. What would it be?

SaGa Frontier hacking tools- specifically really good ones, and then 1x Laggy to whip and abuse into making a good hack for the game.

Cleaning a woman's bathroom or breaking up party time for the lads on pleasure island at the library.

11.Is there a quote that sums up your worldview well? If not, what's your favorite quote?

"Take what you want and then pay for it." Just a very apt metaphor for my adult life, and I like the context that Moiraine used it in the WoT.

12. When does the weather (People who live in super temperate climates like say LD/Elfboy get kicked in the shins for this one) start to turn cool for you?

October. It can be reasonably warm into november, but the weather has usually turned cold by halloween.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:01:06 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

Thor and Cap. Both were good, Thor was more fun overall.

Polo shirt and sweatpants.

Hard to say. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 is up there, Tai and I had much fun playing it.

In a good way or a bad way? I'll assume you mean good, so...probably What the Hell? by Avril Lavigne(sp?). Jenna picked up her lastest CD and there's actually some solid stuff on it. This one amuses me.

I do summery things? ...wait! I actually have an answer this time. Went to a waterpark at DLC with Hal and co. Hell if I'm trying to spell it's name. It's...also the only "summery" thing I've done.

Not unless there's something my sister hasn't told me.

Going to colorado. Lots of sleepovers at freinds' houses and vice versa. Sunburn.

Depends on the definition of heavily. DWG3 could fit, but I've played more DW7 since Tai left then I have that. Does signing up for the FF5 challenge a second time count? If so, that.

http://www.penzeys.com/scstore/giftboxes/new/americanKitchen21piece.html

EDIT: Wait, scratch that. Either a nice desk or a nice computer chair, whichever was more expensive but still under $500. I could really use both of those.

Stop cleaning before the dishes were actually clean because I wasn't getting it done fast enough. And by this I don't mean "stop and let someone else take over" I mean, "stop, rinse/dry and get it back to be reused despite still being covered in grease."

There is a reason that place got shut down by the health department about two months after I left.

11.Is there a quote that sums up your worldview well? If not, what's your favorite quote

"There is no one true way." Founding principle of the country of Valdimar, in the books by Mercedes Lackey(I am probably misspelling more then one thing in this sentance).

*puts on shin guards*

Though honestly there are differences in Pacifica. About...October is when it becomes consistently cool instead of bipolar with 50 degree weather one day and 70 degree weather the next.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:24:14 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
None of them. I'm not really a film person.
Honestly, not a clue. I tend to go smart casual, but wearing all my smart clothes at work means I kinda resent wearing them when I don't have to now.
...uhh... Advance Wars: Dark Conflict, probably. I've not picked up a whole lot, though.
Pure Reason Revolution - Bloodless. Easily my favourite song at the moment, and one of very few songs that I loved as soon as I heard it.
Probably a garden party one of my friends hosted a few months back.
Not as far as I know!
Spending entire holidays off school with my sister on random projects/fandoms, including Age of Empires, Pokemon and 3 different gaming websites. Past that, not a whole lot.
...hm. Probably Mana Khemia, which I played about a year ago. I've not exactly cared much about other games I've played since (although I tend to get more absorbed in games than most, by which logic, it'd be Shadow Hearts since that was the last game I played more than once a week or something.)
PS3. Really want one so I can get masses of fighting games, Valkyria Chronicles, Catherine and Demon's Souls.
Alternatively, the "3-weeks unlimited travel around Europe" train ticket I'm saving up for, although that might end up being borderline on $500. =P
(As it goes, neither of these are my top priority with money, but my top priority is currently looking to be about £3500. ouch.)

Ehh, not a huge lot, honestly. Probably having an alcoholic guy talking and crying, ending up with him spitting everywhere as he spoke to me. >.>
Hm. The quote I always use is "You cannot take to the skies with your feet on the ground." It came from FFXI, funnily enough - or, more specifically, Tetra Master, where it was Regent Cid's quote. Thing is, it doesn't really sum up the way I am, but more the way I'd want to be.
Spring/Autumn are our sunny seasons. Winter/Summer both rain relentlessly. All in all, fuck British weather being consistent.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »

Saw Thor, X-Men, and Captain America.  X-Men is the real standout.

Totally not a CK question.  Next!

What is the best entertainment purchase you've made in the last year?

Hmmm.  Past year would give me... probably the XL?  I play primarily DS games these days and I'm in awe at just how tiny the standard DS screen was when I pull it out for whatever reason.  I also replaced a PSP in that time frame, which gets its fair share to say the least.  In terms of specific games... hm.  BbS is the highest rated in that time period, so sure.

Exec_Sphilia, from Ar tonelico 2. 

That'd be... week after the fourth.  Swam for hours, nasty sunburn.  Been feeling rather hermit-y since.

Not that I know of.  Oddly enough, in the previous year I've attended two, which is more than I've attended since high school.

Y'know... despite remembering fairly well what I did for about 7 summers in a row or so as a kid, I don't feel right calling any of it nostalgic.

Trails.  I played a 35 hour game in just under two weeks, that's not normal anymore.

Every appealing option is just gaming the system.  Nothing really comes to mind.

Unpleasant stuff is unavoidable, but I've never had anything that stood out to me, honestly.  For example, I generally don't get stuck with the "idiot ass customer didn't ask for a fucking spit cup" scenarios.

"The snow keeps falling... Softly covering up everything in this world... Our sorrow, our defilement, our mistakes... If only we could wipe away these things as easily as that... What have we... have I... been doing... been pursuing... for these past 500 years?"

One of the few quotes that has ever stood out to me without needing a lead in, so to speak.

There's not really a set schedule.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »

Movies? Suck shit harder bro. EZ

Blue longsleeve plus Becquerel shirt plus hat.

SC2. EZLY

Holland, 1945 by Neutral Milk Hotel

AMERICA time at BLOWSTUFFUP of July

Nope

Videogames for three months straight.

Edgeworth Investigations, which I finally finished on the plane. Books.... Recently, my Japanese textbook.

Five hundred dollars worth of really tasty oatmeal stout. Beer in Japan is amazingly strong but not tasty.

Tie between when the bathrooms exploded during a science fair at the studemt union building, or when, after three months of dumping nasty wetvac water off the loading docks without cleaning it, I had to power spray the caked on gunk off the asphalt. At noontime. In July. Fortunately I was pretty blitzed for that.

Have I memtiomed that I kinda miss that job?

Paraphrasing, but... Kilgore Trout once wrote a story about a robot who dropped napalm from a plane onto people. Nobody really minded that he dropped napalm on people from the sky, but they found his halitosis unforgivable. When he was cured or his halitosis, people gladly welcomed him into their society.

I butchered that. Don't care.

In Albuquerque, about mid October. In Kumamoto? Soon, I hope.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
I saw Thor.  Green Lantern isn't out yet (lol), didn't catch X-Men like I meant to and Cap obviously isn't out yet.  Thor was okay.

Long pants and a button up shirt.  I like the clothes I wear to work.

Errrrrrr I guess the DSi I bought at DLC5 since that isn't 12 months ago just yet.

Fuck you.
Does it Offend You, Yeah? - The Wrestler.
Does it Offend You, Yeah? - The Funky Monkeys are Coming
Justice - Genesis
The Long Blondes - Once and Never Again.
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God.
Augie March - There Is No Such Place.  Which is odd because I love The Slant so much more.
In Flames - Superhero of the Computer Rage.
Kaye-Louise Patterson - Puis J'Avoir Un Billet?
The Jezabels - Mace Spray.  Though all their stuff is beautiful.
Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good.  Then she went and died and I was pretty disappointed.

No single song, but All India Radio has been getting a lot of play as a whole band.
Brunatex is kind of in the same boat for the album I have.

I sat in air conditioning in Texas as a normal summery thing I do.  Does Bard on the Beach count as a normal Summery thing because it happens every summer in Vancouver?  If not, well it still proves that Vancouver is better than you.

6. Got any weddings to attend in the next six months?  Hahahahahaha no.

7. What are your iconic memories of summer as a kid, if anything?  Playing UFO - Enemy Unknown for days at a time.  That would be the first X-Com game.  Further proof that my childhood was better than yours.

I kind of chewed through that pulp Steampunk Western that I gave to Shale at DLCon, but that was more filling time than absorbed.  Last one that left a lasting impression was Kurt Vonnegut - Hocus Pocus which means it has been way to long since I last dug out one I haven't read.

Your mother for a month straight.

I work office jobs.  So like unless you mean cleaning up horrible data (some of which is seriously terrible and draining mentally), cleaning up the dog shit off my shoes that I stood in on the way to work.  Fresh.  Smelled like steak.  Nothing compared to people that have worked in fast food longer than I did or have done cleaning.

Busy, busy, busy.

Specifically this.  Busy, busy, busy, is what we Bokononists whisper whenever we think of how complicated and unpredictable the machinery of life really is.

But just "Busy, busy, busy" is the thing I will quote most from it.

What is cool?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »
Anyone whose world view is summed up by a Vonnegut quote has his head on straight. These... are the facts of life.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:59:17 PM by Makkotah »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »
Saw Thor and Captain America.  I think I liked Cap better as a film, but Thor wasn't bad.

Three-piece suit, duh.

Fallout: New Vegas, probably?

"No Children" by The Mountain Goats.

Outdoor festival? You can't do these here but in the summer.

Nah, my one wedding a year (nineteen years and counting) has already passed. Probably got another one next year around the same time though.

Dude, I barely remember being 14.

Hmm... I think maybe MK9, which we played non-stop for weeks.

Funny you should ask, I was admiring a $499 suit in the window at a storefront when I was out on saturday night last weekend.

Mucking out the trap under the sink, which hadn't been done in like a year. How did that place not get shut down?

"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better," probably.

Mid-October. Of course it never gets TOO cold, since I live in a deciduous rain forest.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »

Does Green Hornet count?  Otherwise Captain America.  Seen Green Lantern as well.

Generic shorts and t-shirt.

Fallout: New Vegas.

stone cold by FictionJunction.

Jul 4th family get together near a lake and yadda.

No.

Tenting.  And by that I mean throwing up a tent outside the domicile dragging electronics into it and playing games outside.

Fallout: New Vegas.

An unbreakable 360. A new computer chair.

Pressing a button.

11. Is there a quote that sums up your worldview well? If not, what's your favorite quote?

"Fuck this gay earth." ?????

When Hell freezes over.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:33:25 AM by Fudozukushi »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »

None. I'm quite interested in the new X-Men movie, not really in any of the others.

Hasn't changed since whatever I said last time I'm sure.

My 360, since it was such an incredible steal (pretty sure someone at EB screwed that one up!).
Oh, and if books count as entertainment... no wait I didn't actually buy either of those. Thanks Ciato~

Let's go with Gene's Rock-a-bye.

Haven't done much of that this year.

Nope, don't think so...

Lots of scattered ones, but nothing I'd call really -iconic-. I guess that time I backpacked in the Cascades for a week solid was pretty memorable.

FFT right now!

Gift-wise, I dunno, at this point there isn't really a new system I'd care about at all, which is the usual purchase in that price range. Can't think of anything really. Wishes... *shrug* I am boring and content, I have a wish for someone else that things will go well; guess that counts.

Work is pretty awesome. Sometimes difficult and stressful but I can't think of something I'd attach "nasty" to. There have been a couple pretty unreasonable assignments (get vague instructions about what to teach, craft a lesson plan in 15 minutes, THEN learn that the instructions were wrong and the kids had already learned that, THEN learn that they're a pretty uncooperative group too!).

Love that Moiraine quote, incedentally! I dunno what mine is.

Around October-November depending, usually.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:36:26 AM »
1. I have seen no new movies so far this year.

2. I don't have one - I wear whatever's clean.

3. Based on entertainment value per dollar? Magic: DotP 2012.

4. The music from the trailer for No Time To Explain.

5. Had a barbecue a few weeks ago.

6. At least one in September - my cousin.

7. Nothing I'd consider iconic.

8. Magic: the Gathering, full stop.

9. Whatever the perfect wedding gift for my cousin would be, so I don't have to get anything.

10. Dealing with the wife of a deployed soldier whose phone bill was astronomical due to some issues with calling cards and stuff like that. Not nasty on my end, but that's the closest thing that would qualify.

11. "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." I suppose that will fit for the worldview if you presume that I'm the person and everyone else who has ever existed are the people.

12. Varies, but usually towards the tail end of September.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
~Thor and Captain America. Thor, I liked more.

Remember that coral-colored hawaiin shirt I had at the Con? I've had it for years, but I'm starting to love it again over my black awesome shirt. Then Jeans, probably.

None. I've made bad decisions over the past year.

~I upped the quality of my headphones and I've been listening to Zero 7 again. Opening track, "I Have Seen", made me pretty emotional in the higher def.

~Landscaping. Picking up dead old trees dad chopped down and adding 'em to a burn pile. Then burning them.

~Nope. Got one in about a year, though.

~Had several water fights with the neighbors when I was really young. Shame we had them before I learned to appreciate nipples.

~The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

~Probably upgrade my PC.

:smug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj6yXxVc21Y

Late Autumn. 50ish is nice. I'd say 50ish is cool.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
None. Don't care.

White shorts and blue shirt, I guess~

Way of Kings! Not that I've read it, but ~

The Union Forever, The White Stripes. "Man money obsession is totally ridiculous" song.

Cookout with some friends.

Nein.

Playing outside in the heat with my basketball. Also playing Shining Force 2.

Legend of Dragoon, I am absorbed with its yaoi.

I do need a DS. I would just borrow one but i have a little bit of neurosis about borrowing something from someone else that I previously lost.

Probably carry 5 gallon buckets full of concentrated acid. Very unsafe.

Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride.

In all seriousness, there has been like two days day this summer that have met my criteria for true summer weather, so I'm not sure how to answer this question.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
I haven't seen any of them. Thor seems most like to entertain me.

Grey burn-out t-shirt with a foil gold cross and blue jeans. AKA, same song, new t-shirt.

The fish tank.

Sail by AWOL Nation.

Apartment complex barbecue.

Nope. April.

Mom on the deck with a jar of sun tea and a novel. 80's rock blaring on the boombox. Pool for hours and hours and hours, with brother and with friends. Spanish daggers and chasing anoles. Sitting at the tops of old oak trees, pulleying up a box of books to read.

Sherlock Holmes. Good stuff.

Item? Hm. An iPad, I guess. Or a camera. Except a sub-$500 camera would just get traded in toward a better one. ETA: A bike. I want a bike.

Feed the black widows.

"Those who hope for no other life are dead even in this."

Hey. It may be cool now, but come September it's going to be a ridiculous 85 degrees for, like, four whole days.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:31:44 PM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »

Umm...my office went to all the superhero movies, and Harry Potter.

X-Men First Class

I guess the dress that Dunie picked out for me ^_^

Um, sure, Starcraft 2

Hmm...gosh, I'm not sure what would be the most recent.

Kanye West ft  John Legend, The-Dream, Elly Jackson, Alicia Keys, Fergie, Kid Cudi, Elton John, and Rihanna -- All of the Lights
Taylor Swift -- Mean
Tinie Tempah -- Written in the Stars
Lady Gaga -- Scheiße -- (Also some "Bad Kids" and "Judas")

Yeah, mostly radio stuff, outside of the Gaga songs I got because her entire album went for $0.99; haven't really been seeking out indie music lately.

Swimming (once when we were moving in did I use the pool; haven't used it again...).

No.

Weeding dandelions to make enough money to rent Super Metroid.

Dust 514

Something practical and boring, no doubt; like a gas line that doesn't leak.

The funny thing is that I like the "nasty" programming tasks.  Deleting a hundred thousand dead files, migrating the codebase to a different compiler, etc.

Umm...I haven't thought about it.  "Love and Peace and Rainbows??"  Err...let's go with favourite quote.

"Repent now!  Judgement day is near!  The cacophonous sound of the seven bugels shall consume the heavens, and all sinners shall burn in the firey wrath of the lord!  But I, no I shall not die.  Death knows no boundaries.  Death is ultimately an act of grace and love from the lord.  Mmmmm, a blessing, is it not?  Ah, Daniel Scotius Aragainus: that man has not a heart to be found in his body!  Though I do thank him for building this monastery here...."

I dunno; I didn't pay much attention in Atlanta last year.

Idun

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
- I haven't seen any summer superhero movies.

Uhhhm... anything extra light with flipflops.

Netflix?

Curren$y - Car Service. Weed rap. Yes.

I uh, ate a hotdog on for 4th, albeit minutes before it turned to the 5th.

I've only been to one wedding my entire life.

"Iconic memories?" Mmm, a dutiful and affordable ice cream man, slip and slides, push pops..

Yeesh, hate to say it, but for games: Xenosaga 3, for books, Les Mis.

Either snow boots or an Othar Turner CD.

Count money coming from sweaty and somewhere in-between the boobspace and armpit from customers who find it fashionable to stash money there, despite triple digit degree weather.

"Let's eat!"

October, normally around the last week or Halloween.