Author Topic: Intellectual Share/Showroom  (Read 1856 times)

Idun

Intellectual Share/Showroom
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
Hi.
if you don't have a major, that's totes fine. just share something you're avid and consider yourself knowledgeable about!
I, Idun, would like to know what your major was in college. Suffice to say, if you were not in an organizational education system for 'higher education' funded through loans, savings or scholarships, what is a theme or study that invigorates you (including NON-school related stuff, like gaming/hobbies/etc)?

I ask this as a curious Humanities major noticing the converging nuances of interdisciplinary studies in the Humanities (with the sciences -- but only so much convergence for the fields to be distinguishable) because of the realization that my major really requires further understanding of other fields to tackle issues in visual studies.

I also ask this because I very much enjoy Bookforum (subscribe to ArtForum!! it's free after subscription). In short, I want to defer on your special opinions regarding your field, so as I'm not foraying into other fields with my blinkers on (re: how scholars will articulate the bare, fundamental idea of a thing like queer theory, or prose, etc. to further their points.. not bad, but.. yeah!)

Expect me to ask you reading materials/visual materials/movies/songs/etc. that you would suggest to anyone if you really wanted to convince them that your field is wowawesome (and I'm sure it is).

For starters, I have an idea of some questions I wanted to ask several people:

Shale, you're a journalist. What do you think of Dwight McDonald?

LadyDoor, you're an English major (?) with an interest in medieval literature (?). This is more of a general question to the field of literature, but what do you think about the effectiveness of prose in non-fiction vs. fiction of today, and in comparison to what existed then? Also, I think you mind find this interesting if I guessed your study correctly: http://www.otago.ac.nz/mems/anzamems/

Superaielman, do you have any quintessential suggestions of information regarding government involvement (like funding) for private/public university library collections?
----
I have several things I wanted to share, since I feel like with many Humanities studies you have to validate "why" this is important in society:
(More often than not, study visual forms reveals cultural/ideological idiosyncrasies which provide further indications of history's propulsion visually)

ArtForum:
Seriously, if you're mildly interested in what's being discussed now contrasted to dead old white men with easels, this is a great publication. Available in libraries, full of ongoing/upcoming gallery exhibitions (and sometimes list the price to make life less burdensome). Includes performance, installation, film, painting, collages, architecture, sculpture, etc.

BookForum:
BOOKS, + BOOK reviews, liberally catered to *art*. Exposes contemporary subjects in the voice of specific people in specific countries (like, I'm totally interested in Rabinadrath Tagore's poems).

Art history totally discusses print culture --- for example, the cover illustration on this link http://holocaustmusic.ort.org/politics-and-propaganda/third-reich/ . I'm totes interested in print culture, even the representation of nerds in simple fliers, consistent negotiation of an overt identity. So, if you're interested in particular print culture, I could probably provide you with some good starting material!

---Juxtapoz Sidenote--- West Coast publication; supposedly there's clamoring for "street art" being the "art" of the 21st century, even though it's conceptually faulty as a category --- BUT. . .  there's tons of folk here in CA, so it's a good urban magazine for subculture gratuities, albeit plenty of advertisements. Not worth a subscription. Online website (free) just good enough.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:21:31 AM by Idun »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Intellectual Share/Showroom
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:14:41 AM »
Major and Masters degree: Mathematic

Minor: English

Did most but not all of the courses required for a double major in: Math/Physics

Things you should know about in...

Math: Godel's Incompleteness Theory

And just in random internet links, I presume you've all seen this TED talk--if not, definitely watch the section around 10:00-14:00

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:59:21 AM »
Went to college for Computer Science, but dropped out because I wasn't enjoying it.

Just completed school to be an electrician.

As for something that ties electrical stuff and art together, I would recommend studying lighting design.  It's a bit more complicated than "hey, stick a light here".  You have to consider natural lighting, type of wall surface/color/reflectivity, etc.  It's actually pretty interesting.  The right lighting can make a big difference in how a piece of artwork is presented.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »
Ted talks. <3 to MC

Lessee..... in college my official majors were Theater, followed by English, followed by Film. My official minor was in Psychology. When it was looking like I'd pick up a general studies degree, I had focuses on Communication and History, as well.

I have a couple of dreams, one is to win a major Poker tournament, and one is to write for Marvel comics. I'm a simple person with poor self-esteem, so my goals are based entirely around things that I know I'm good at. My majors in college were mostly to placate my family, which has slowly become less important to me, even as my family themselves have become more important. There is a confrontation brewing, and it sort of terrifies me, although I instinctively know it'll work itself out.

Writing is a passion of mine, albeit one I neglect. Or to put it another way, FICTION is a passion of mine that I indulge in continuously. The idea of creating something for the most part is intriguing and exciting, but it's not so much what I love so much as seeing it right there for me. I get emotionally invested in sappy independent movies, and I'm cuckoo for Marvel Comics, which is essentially a soap opera for boys. My desire to one day write for them stems less from my need to create anything, so much as a childlike curiosity to see what would happen if something I invented was introduced to the universe---I've seen obscure, bad, or neglected characters have new life and thought breathed into them by someone else, and that excites me. The idea that a character can go in a wildly different direction when another mind is behind them--but a direction that still makes sense, mind--is absolutely amazing to me. So yes. I want to write for Marvel comics, but I think my ULTIMATE goal on that end is for someone better than me to write about something I create, while not being insulting to other people when I take control of their old toys.
Presently, I'm writing a novel about emotional prisons. .....And Kung-Fu.

Poker is something different entirely. It's wild. It's hard to describe what it is about the game that I enjoy so much, other than the fact that I used to be very good at it. A good night playing Poker can put me into "the zone" or "Flow" or a Eudaimonic State if you want to get fancy. Even if I'm losing. Watching Poker on TV used to be super exciting for me, because I got really good at figuring out what was going on in the players' heads and predicting how games would go to my dad. I have a huge competitive streak, and when I want to be completely honest with myself, my body will never, ever be as sharp or as capable as my mind. Poker is a game that I can skillfully be toward the top of fairly consistently when I take part. I love me some Team Fortress or some Basketball, and I get competitive as hell when I play, but in the former, I'm only above average at best, and in the latter, well...... I'll beat someone who doesn't play.

I love -watching- basketball, because it's absolutely fascinating to me to look at how all the little details that go into every single team every single day effect each and every game. Similarly, I'm becoming a bit of a political junkie.

I guess you could say that I'm in love with fascination in general. I embrace things that I feel have a wealth of depth to them, and dig as deeply as possible into attempting to understand them. I think it's also why I can't seem to stay focused on any one major or field of study for very long, and it's probably a chunk of the reason why I've always been such a poor student, despite generally having a stronger mastery of the material than most of my peers.

But I'm getting carried away. You asked for good things to read to be as invested in certain things as I have been. So I can do that.

I love movies and I think the amount of thought that goes into making movies is amazing. Watch these films in no real order:
Citizen Kane, Koyaanisqatsi (warning: boring), Blue Velvet, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Conversations with Other Women, The Education of Charlie Banks, Battle Royale, The Verdict, The Lives of Others
These are not all of the best films I have seen by any stretch of the imagination (Most of them are significantly above average, though), but they all ought to strongly make you feel something, and isn't that the point of movies?

I love theater, but instead of watching something brilliant, you should just talk to theater people and observe the passion they put into even a terrible play. For my money, that's more interesting than any play is on its own merits.

When I studied theater, I was big on comedy/sketch writing. So a lot of stuff actually applies to sit-coms and the like. Watch all of Arrested Development. Frasier and Cheers are two of the most well-written comedies of all time. Mmmn.... Most things are hit and miss. Those three are almost entirely "hit", though. If you just want to watch one episode of something to see my appreciation for comedic writing, watch Season 5's episode of Frasier titled "Frasier's Imaginary Friend". The final scene and blow line are probably my favorite in television history in both writing and execution.

As for sketch comedy itself, I have a handy link or two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-LxmrFm40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdmqBmiEZd4&feature=related

English was a terrible choice of a major that yielded almost nothing with what I thought was a passion at the time. However, my linguistics class introduced me to Steven Pinker, who is a fascinating and brilliant person with opinions on all kinds of stuff. Read one of his linguistic books if you're interested in how language works or WHY it works the way it does.

You would think that I would have a good recommendation for psychology, but for the most part, while the subject fascinates me, I've yet to really find something written about it that sticks with me to this day.

Biology is a big interest, and I could have seen myself making it my major if it weren't for how impossible it would be for me to cut on a dead human or even an animal that wasn't unrecognizable on my dinner plate. Read CRACKED, of all places, if you want to be fascinated by how amazing Biology is. Just start going through the animal articles one at a time and marvel over how diverse the world truly is.

There have been truly great basketball games and poker games televised in the past, but I find that there's a lot of mystique that goes away when you actually know who's going to win, so it's really hard to get someone into sports(or competition) without them experiencing it live, first-hand. Sorry.

Marvel Comics is difficult, too, because the universe is so huge and there have been so many stories that have just built on one another over and over again that jumping in is difficult. I fundamentally disagree with people that there is a definitive point you should start at if you want to fall in love with the genre. I started reading comics during the 90s, widely regarded to be the worst decade in the history of comics as far as literary merit is concerned, and I still follow the same characters today. Just jump into a book that's currently well-written and ask questions if you're having a hard time following it. In the old days, there used to be a letters page at the end of every single comic, and you could figure out a surprising amount about the universe by just listening to the editors answer people's questions and foreshadow a bit about what was going to happen. It's a medium that just sort of grows on you over time. My appreciation for what's going on today in X-men stems less from the events taking place in those books than it does the events I've witnessed over the past ten years, and was compelled to read about because of those years of reading. Jump onto Hickman's FF sometime and revel in the horrible confusion for a while. It'll start to make sense as you go along.
~~~
These are some of my passions, but making them accessible to someone else has never been one of my strong suits. If it was, I'd probably get laid a lot more.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
Brief answer today, because I am still in the midst of a very major-appropriate throe of depression.

Yes, I studied English and specialized in medieval British and Anglo-Saxon literature (roughly 700 - 1400 Britain).

One of the most fascinating things about this time period is also the answer to your question: there was no functional difference between non-fiction and fiction. I read books of charms right alongside charters. Of course there is a difference, much as you wouldn't classify an inventory of farm supplies as "fantasy" or a history including the slaying of dragons as "non-fiction." But medieval Britain didn't have bookstores that told them they needed to choose whether it was a novel or a reference guide. So you get this beautiful blend of the fabulous with the mundane, and you end up with tales like Beowulf which are folk hero stories as well as lineage histories., and books of medicine which detail charms against elves right after the cure for a hangover.

Efficacy was relative to purpose. Most frequently there was a moral tale to be told, a sort of secular parable, and it was irrelevant whether it was being told in metaphor or simple facts because, well, have you read the Bible lately? One of the most intriguingly vague documents is the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. It* attempts to boil history down to a handful of meaningful events for every entry (which covers a year). Can you imagine trying to do that today? (*"It" is disingenuous. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle is a collective term for the various documents cities kept to record big happenings.)

okay, anyway, clearly I could talk about this forever.

ANZAMEMS is awesome, and I really want to attend either that or the 'Zoo sometime. That generally would require I pay more attention to the scholarly side of my field than I currently am. Not impossible, since I keep wavering on whether I want to go back to school or not and going back to school would necessitate going. SHUCKS, WHATEVER WOULD I DO THEN.

--

Other fields I seriously entertained before deciding that English had the most flexibility, in no particular order: (cognitive) neuroscience, psychology, molecular and cellular biology, political science, anthropology, linguistics, artificial intelligence/robotics.

In summary, I'm fascinated with people in the way that only someone who never really "clicks" with anyone can be.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »
In summary, I'm fascinated with people in the way that only someone who never really "clicks" with anyone can be.

You mean like how Grefter and me are really into psychology?

(Although to be fair, I do "click" with people, just very, very rarely).

Idun

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 01:11:22 AM »
OK. I've gotten so far as to somewhat understanding Godel's Theorem of Incompleteness thanks to Laggy and Talaysen. I want to strangle hug you MC. *twitch*

CaptainK----- I gather I'd fine lighting design in architecture stuff?

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 01:21:46 AM »
That's probably a good place to look.  It was just one of the things we covered in our electrical school, so not actually a college class.

They have to teach us these things because the electrical engineers are too lazy to figure it out themselves and just write "light placement to be determined by field installers" on the blueprints.  *waves to Pyro*

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 05:12:10 AM »
I earned a degree in Interdisciplinary (there it is) Social Sciences, with cognates in Criminology and Sociology.

I'm intensely interested in human interaction with technology nowadays.

Idun

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
Nephrite: http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1080 <-

CaptainK, I also think I need an introduction to electronics. "My computer is not working---!!!" "Is it plugged in?"

"oh."

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »
I want to strangle hug you MC. *twitch*

Hot.

As the more vocal Psych dude here (I know there is a couple of others) I do have to say I like seeing something on human interfacing at MOMA. That is pretty rad and a very under studied area within Psychology itself.  There is a whole body of work out there and most of the real world applications have honestly been undertaken by designers and engineers.  It is something that I have a touching interest in having worked more and more with databases and general programs (hate hate hate the new Office interface for example.  NESTED MENUS).  Not really something I think about doing my post grad in when/if I ever get around to it.

That is looking more and more like it will be Hypnosis these days.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
OK. I've gotten so far as to somewhat understanding Godel's Theorem of Incompleteness thanks to Laggy and Talaysen. I want to strangle hug you MC. *twitch*

Well...let me explain it from a more humanities perspective, because I actually spent about equal amounts of time chatting about Godel's Incompleteness Theory with English professors as I did with Mathematics professors.

Right around the 1900s, the thought in Science and Mathematics was that we could know everything, we could solve everything.  Two major theories changed that.  One of them was Quantum Mechanics, with heisenberg's uncertainty principle.  Proving that we can't know where a particle is and how fast it's going at the same time.  And this isn't just a "we haven't invented a good enough microscope yet."  No, we've subsequently performed experiments where, if there was some underlying order it would interact with itself to get behavior A, and if it was a fundamentally random waveform we'd get behavior B.  We got behavior B.  The universe is fundamentally unknowable and made out of things that are both particles and waves.

This is all fine and good, but what about Mathematics?  Mathematics doesn't obey the laws of physics--you can make something that is sensible all the way down, that never turns into a random blobby mess the way the real world does.  Right?  Because it's all in your imagination now, and you can just reject rules that are dumb and have a totally sensible world.  Well...Godel proved that you can't.  You can't come up with a set of logical rules and then figure out everything about your system.  Any set of logical rules you come up with is either going to be inconsistent (there is a statement that is both true and false) or incomplete (there is a statement that you can't prove either true or false).  And what's even worse?  You don't even KNOW which of these situations you're stuck in.  It could be that by defining 1+1=2 and 1*1=1 that we've already SCREWED ourselves, that we've created some hidden inconsistency that we don't even know about yet.

Needless to say, people studying postmodernism love Godel's Incompleteness Theory, because it happens to line up with their philosophy about how there is no one right answer, no one objective truth, no perfect way to architect a building, no perfect sonnet.  But Godel's Incompleteness Theory has something to say about postmodernism as well.  You see, Godel's Theory basically says that in any system of human thought, you need to pick either "I can't describe everything, but I'm consistent...I think" or "I'm inconsistent".  Mathematics, as a field, aims for "I can't describe everything, but I'm consistent...I think."  Postmodernism chooses the opposite.  Postmodernism chooses "I'm inconsistent" with open arms.  What might be true in feminist theory might be false in queer theory.

Of course, "inconsistent" is the mathematical definition, which is always fun.  For instance, technically speaking the Banach–Tarski paradox is NOT inconsistent.  (Yeah, don't look that one up unless you want your head to hurt).

I want to strangle hug you MC. *twitch*

Hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdS6HFQ_LUc

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
For instance, technically speaking the Banach–Tarski paradox is NOT inconsistent.  (Yeah, don't look that one up unless you want your head to hurt).

Aww, but it's fun!

Idun

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
Does not compute.

Heads up to anyone who may be @ the Smithsonian in 2012, I'm making a couple rounds there with a fellow student and plan to hit up The Art of Video Games exhibit.

Anyone know about opera?