Author Topic: Futurama 2011 Season 2, Week 1: Zeboyd Strikes Back  (Read 3059 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Futurama 2011 Season 2, Week 1: Zeboyd Strikes Back
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 05:21:56 AM »
Well, he's fighting what I think is a Tactics Ogre boss, not a Cthulu fangirl, but if his MDef is as high as suggested Jowy's best odds may be his L2's ID odds anyway, assuming TO bosses don't have the same sort of boss immunities as their FFT counterparts.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 05:27:56 AM »
Also, if you hold Chaos to 99.6% status resistance that we only know exists thanks to save states / ROM hacking...  how exactly does Cid get time to inflict said status?  Cid has somewhere between 3 PCHP and 9 PCHP, so call that between 9 and 27 PCHP to you, but 0.4% status rate is really epic.  That's like 140 turns to have a 50/50 chance of being inflicted, and Chaos can output PCHP damage a turn after FAST, so Cid needs 100 PCHP + to win off status hype.  And Cid apparently doesn't have Pain anyway, and if he did Chaos has magic anyway, and don't you let Chaos spam infinite CUR4s?

Don't get me wrong, I'm voting for Cid, but only because I don't allow unscaled boss HP + infinite CUR4.  With that, I'd see Chaos taking it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:31:25 AM by SnowFire »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »
I thought the argument for Chaos's being hit with status was essentially "If you inflict status at 100% rate, then awesome, but otherwise you're never getting around FF1 status resistance"? So like Tir's Deadly Fingertips or Ellie's Sleep Wand would get through since those are broken, but say Rika's ID (80%?) would be laughed off.

Now, I guess you could argue that 99.6% status resistance should be a straight reduction to a 100% status, therefore making Tir and Ellie cry at 0.4% hitrates... After all, there are Gust games where characters have like 200% accurate status effects (Turn2Candy, I believe?). But I tend to vote on status hitrates that are 100% accurate as being essentially ITR as there doesn't tend to be anything in their home games that can reduce the accuracy (unless it just outright immunes it).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:26 AM »
Cid's status is like 50% anyway (not sure on the exact number, but the point is it's not 100%), so yeah, it's not relevant here.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I see no reason not to let Crack hit Cid, given he has no earth resistance whatsoever (and kinda shaky status resistance in general, his only immunities are death and daze, which granted are the nastiest ones), so yeah, that decides my vote at least.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »
There needs to be something to support a claim of "pierces resistance" though.  There are lots of games where resistance doesn't exist and everything is either immuned or takes it at the base hit rate.  That doesn't mean that their spells "pierce resistance" against a game that does have status resistance, any more than all attacks in Lufia 2 are ignore target evasion because nothing evades.  Actual "resistance piercing" that is distinct from "ignores immunity" is super rare.  (I think the only time I've heard that hyped is FFX-2 Songstress's status effects.)

Anyway, we should go with FF13 regardless since resistance DOES exist there; in fact that's all you get, there is no immunity.  100% effects become 70% effects against 30% resistance.  And 50% effects become 35% effects against 30% resistance.  (This is why people recommend equipping Instant Death resist on your leader before the final boss; sure the status is already unreliable, but it becomes even less likely to hit with resistance gear, even if it's only a 30% block.).  There's nothing in FF1 or FF13 to suggest "resistance piercing" should be used.  (Of course, I would go farther and just call Chaos functionally immune and the issue as a coding quirk, but I can see arguments on that point at least.)

EDIT: To be clear this is re Djinn on Cid status hitting Chaos, not re DHE on Chaos status hitting Cid.  (Don't buy Cid's ID protection being overriden but there's a better argument for this than the other way around, since apparently FF1 ID is wackier than FF13 status!)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:19:41 AM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 06:15:44 AM »
FFX has some resistance-piercing attacks (the most obvious are Wakka's "Buster" series of improved status attacks, which have perfect accuracy even against 99% status resistance, while his weaker "Attack" series is reduced to the expected 1% hit rate). I totally agree that I'd need that kind of evidence to see an attack hitting Chaos more than 1/201 of the time.

Maybe.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:53 PM »
Godlike

Emelious (Grandia III) vs Katze Kotolnos (Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga: Endless Frontier): Meh, Katze. He's just kind of out of his league slugging vs. G3 bosses. Shadow Wave is just rubbing it in.
Isolde (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)
Chaos (Final Fantasy) vs Cid Raines (Final Fantasy XIII): Kneejerk is that none of the FF13 bosses have enough oomph to deal w/cure 4

Heavy

Millenia (Grandia II) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World): It takes quite a while to kill with an SBE lock, since it's maintained using SP (the source of high damage moves in G2) and spends turns on pure status moves. So assuming Millenia blocks moveblock (for obvious reasons), can't Umi just poison Millenia and wait for her to drop?

Middle

Tengaar (Suikoden Series) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia)

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »
SBE -> Grudging Claw x2 should be fatal to Umi.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »
Godlike

Emelious (Grandia III) vs Katze Kotolnos (Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga: Endless Frontier)
Isolde (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)
Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (Wild ARMs) vs Naja (Sands of Destruction)
Chaos (Final Fantasy) vs Cid Raines (Final Fantasy XIII)

Heavy

Justin (Grandia) vs Sara (Breath of Death VII: The Beginning)
Millenia (Grandia II) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World)
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Brantyn (Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together)
Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) vs Dorothy (Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road)

Middle

Tengaar (Suikoden Series) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia)
Brad Evans (Wild ARMs 2) vs Sazh Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII)
Red XIII (Final Fantasy VII) vs Oliver Lenheim (Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky) :(
Axel (Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories) vs Fuka Kazamatsuri (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten)

Light

Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Goofy (Kingdom Hearts Series)
Leblanc (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Jagen (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon) Not-So-Mighty-Guard owns Jagen.
Guard Scorpion (Final Fantasy VII) vs Takashi Hanya (Persona 2: Innocent Sin)
Kongol (Legend of Dragoon) vs Cooke (Lost Odyssey)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »
Well, he's fighting what I think is a Tactics Ogre boss, not a Cthulu fangirl, but if his MDef is as high as suggested Jowy's best odds may be his L2's ID odds anyway, assuming TO bosses don't have the same sort of boss immunities as their FFT counterparts.

Assassination target bosses are immune to every status in the remake.

I don't have a very good memory of Brantyn, but unless he gets Field Alchemy his healing isn't going to be very good. TO remake healing magic is really bad in a duel, Heal 1 barely scales up at all with stats/skills and the higher level ones are less MP efficient and unusuable until several turns into the battle.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
His healing is pretty good for a TO enemy, but yeah, it's still in the ballpark of "use once every 3~ turns to restore half HP (edit: and also gives up his good damage to do so)" which kinda sucks here unless he's against Cristo or something.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:08:33 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »
Godlike -

Chaos (Final Fantasy) vs Cid Raines (Final Fantasy XIII)- Chaos has Slow ... don't think it's enough? Don't think his ID would work either. Vanille doesn't have access to Death for testing then and I don't remember offhand if Zanetzuken works as a finisher (I think it does but not sure) Don't have much respect for Cid in game because of Poison/debuffs/juggling ... but I think I have even less for Chaos. Probably.

Heavy

Millenia (Grandia II) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World)

Middle

Why did I think Raynie was going up against a Pokemon~

Light

Kongol (Legend of Dragoon) vs Cooke (Lost Odyssey)- See earlier post~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
Vanille doesn't have access to Death for testing

It wouldn't work, according to the game data (and indeed, according to scan information visible in-game).

Maybe.