Author Topic: A new music tournament: OST vs OST!  (Read 5473 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
A new music tournament: OST vs OST!
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:41:35 AM »
Music Tournament:

The previous music tournaments have been a lot of fun, and have been a way to find new music. These tournaments tend to focus on the quality of each track instead of how the OST works as a unit. This tournament will focus on each OST. For nominations, you will select five game OSTs. Select two tracks from each game that show off how good the OST in setting a theme/scene/boss fight/etc. Give a brief explaination for why each track is good. Bold your individual song listings, please.

My list:
Final Fantasy 4- Red Wings theme. FF4's intro theme is extremely catchy and sets the mood for the intro to the game. Very cool track that plays in the final dungeon as well. Battle with the four fiends- EPIC boss music. The fiends get a lot of plot hype and while they aren't great fights, the music does set the tone for the struggle.

Parasite Eve-Aya's theme-reprise. Like all of PE's music, it is insanelty stylish and sets the music. It fits the game- it's a downbeat piano track that helps convey a world under siege by a biological horror. Final Battle theme. It has a gothic feel to me (Which fits with PE) and welp, it's a final boss track. It is intense, like all of PE's music.

Persona 4- Reach out to the truth- I thought Jpop as the normal battle track was a good idea, and the song itself is damn good. Persona 4's music tends to be bubbly and bright,  even though the game covers a pretty gruesome subject. Heaven- I love this game's vocal tracks. I picked Heaven over your affection based on a coin flip.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter- A moment of Joy- Regent boss theme. No nonsense battle track that has military overtones. I thought it fit the battle nicely, since you are  effectively killing the military and political leaders of shelter to get out of dodge. Abandoned Waste Pit- BoF5's OST was better than the game's actual writing at telling a story. This track makes you feel like you are hundreds of meters below the surface, trying to stratch your way out a pit.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness- Toccata into blood soaked darkness and Garibaldi Temple. No, I haven't played the game and I don't give a damn. The OST is fantastic from top to bottom.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:40:53 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: A new music tournament: OST vs OST!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:28:11 AM »
This sounds neat. Here's my list.

No More Heroes
Samurai Summer: No More Heroes has a lot of neat Techno tracks and this is probably the best of the bunch. Makes for an awesome boss fight in game.
Pleather for Breakfast: Another really sweet boss fight song which fits the fight perfectly. Aggressive and really catchy.

Muramasa the Demon Blade
Powerful Looking: Muramasa has a bunch of really good Japanese violin music. I really love the beginning of the song and it makes the boss fight against Torahime and her awesome horse really epic.
Desires Connected to Enlightenment A Version: This is the song for the temple areas when their aren't any enemies around. I love how it slowly builds up from the creepy chanting at the beginning. Some more awesome violin stuff in this one as well.

Dawn of Mana
Rising Sun: Haven't played Dawn of Mana, but the soundtrack is amazing. I really like this variation of the Mana theme from Sword of Mana.
The Fool's Dance: Just a really really fun song overall.

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together PSP version
Fight it Out!: I felt in love with this song the first time I heard it. Completely epic and complex that captures the rise and fall of fights in that game really really well.
Blasphemous Experiment: This track really benefited from the remake version. The chanting at the start and the larger variety of instruments really fits a battle theme for a fight against a necromancer.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Congregation of Ambition: Path of Radiance does a superb job of building up it's battle themes as the story builds up. The first few stages have more calm background music and the songs build progressively until you have these loud bombastic songs like this one and Crimea Attacks which do a great job of capturing the essence of the war.
Dreaming of Home: This song is hauntingly beautiful and is a good example of Path of Radiance's character themes which are another strong point of the soundtrack. Power Hungry Fool, and Beautiful Princess Elincia are also really good.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:55:12 AM by dude789 »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
Rising Sun: Haven't played Dawn of Mana, but the soundtrack is amazing. I really like this variation of the Mana theme from Sword of Mana.

Rising Sun is super old school and has been around since the very first Seiken Densetsu.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:45 AM »
I'm bored bro

No More Heroes 2

Philistine - superior vocals clearly
We Are Finally Cowboys - awesome theme for awesome playable henry

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

Birth and Death - somber piano-premacy
You -Destructive- - inspirational as ko

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Palm Tree Groove - goes way too well with the awesome shadow stages
Fear Factory Returns (Music Madness Mix) - you're trapped in a factory, the music means it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:38:45 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
I'm bored bro

No More Heroes 2

Philistine - superior vocals clearly
We Are Finally Cowboys - awesome theme for awesome playable henry

Seconding that

My noms:

Wild Arms)
Castle of Flames - Helps to establish a sense of tragedy and mystery for the castle in its final moments after being ambushed by the demons.  Helps to reinforce the feeling a a few survivors clinging to life as they try to ascertain whats going on, and then builds up appropriate tension for the final stand.
Lamenting and a Promise - Sets a great tone for when Jack and Elmina barely Escape, with a somewhat bittersweet feeling they let their hopes build up, and then the song perfectly injects tension when it turns out to be futile and he has to leave her behind against his will.

More later or something.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:08:11 AM »
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Through the Trees - Such a relaxing piece of music. There's just something soothing about the way it's arranged. Listening to it always makes me feel at ease.
The Final Challenge - On the opposite end of the spectrum, The Final Challenge is an intense and exciting battle theme that has a real sense of urgency to it. These two tracks really show the range of the S:RR soundtrack.

Iji
Kinda Green - A melancholy and moody track that plays when Iji realizes that the human race is doomed and she's very likely the last one left. Very atmospheric. The fleeting guitar perks it up for just a few seconds before fading back into the melancholy portion.
Further - Further is a rare piece of music: a song that is genuinely sad. Listen to the lyrics. Iji is kind of a depressing game, so having this sad, hopeless song play during the end credits seems fitting.

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Cave King's Salsa - I'm not quite sure why I like Cave King's Salsa so much. It's just really catchy and lighthearted. It always makes my toes tap.
Cake or Death - Just a really fun boss battle theme. It has a spooky overtone and a nice blend of guitar and violin.

Phantasy Star Online, Episode III
Idola the Strange Fruits - Still one of my favorite pieces of music after all these years. Those short pauses with nothing but a few piano notes really help set the beat and give you a chance to catch your breath before the next wave of musical awesomeness washes over you.
Tower of Caelum - Great melodic piece that instills you with a feeling that something big is coming and you need to get ready for it. It starts off slow and gradually picks up the pace. By the time it gets going, it's really catchy.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Oriental Flower (Litchi's Theme) - A very catchy "East meets West" track that combines traditional Eastern instruments with heavy metal guitar. The combination works surprisingly well.
Motor Head (Iron Tager's Theme) - Just like Tager himself, this track starts off slow but is quite an impressive force once it gets going. It fits Tager perfectly and is a catchy piece of music to boot.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:45 AM »
Hells yes.  I was considering starting something similar to this, but...oh well!  I <3 music. I added Youtube links, since...I assume that would be something needed later?  Eh. 

!!!POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Long Lost Ocean
Survival from the Force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQw7xD7C2fY): This is the final dungeon theme to the game.  Say what you will about Sakuraba's compositions, but this soundtrack he did a spectacular job of making amazing quality music with deep, varied instrumentation and great mood setting.  The song builds up - it starts a bit chaotic, which isn't abnormal when you're staring at an entire floating continent that came out of nowhere.  Then it becomes more coherent, the melody and main drive of the song come in to play.  Then, right around the 1 minute mark, you hit the main driving force of the song, the "determination" section.  It is designed to force you into the rest of the song, which follows a similar beat with different variations throughout the rest of the 3 minute tenure of the piece.  It is an excellent dungeon song, pushing the player into exploration and combat within the dungeon, and driving home the importance of the storyline to this point - you're there, it's new, but you've come so far that you have to find the drive to keep on going to the end.
Soul Poetry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXIN_A8vOQ): Picking the second song was hard.  And this is a particularly odd choice I think, in that most people won't ever hear it.  But it further exemplifies the amazing variety in the soundtrack.  This song plays when you, uh, Game Over and die (prooooobably either in the airship or at Malpercio's second form >_>).  Just listen to it and close your eyes - it's haunting, which is quite fitting for both the game and for the purpose of the song.  The piano is deliberate, backed up by a ghostly vocal and harpsichord and percussion that just...get to you.  It is amazingly fitting, and amazingly calming, sort of an elegy for the dead, which is perfect. 

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
The Last Desperate Struggle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFXOJ1mkKtI): If people haven't noticed, I've been raving about Ghost Trick recently.  It is an excellent game, and the music is a great part of that, strongly backing the gameplay, story, and concept.  This song plays during, well, the last desperate struggle on the submarine, one of the harder and more stressful parts of the game.  It does an amazing job of driving the end of the game as time runs out for everyone involved - the end is so close, and perseverance is vital.  The song is also creative in that it remixes a lot of other pieces from the game into it, compiling the musical themes of fate changing and averting death you've heard throughout the game, to add that extra sense of urgency to the situation
Informing About the Parting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUGlC8WOQt0): So much of this game is mood music, but some of it, like this, still stands on its own.  Especially when this plays near the end with all the revelations - since this game is really new, I'm going to not completely spoil it, but suffice to say, you are definitely informing several people about a really important parting.  This song plays during the major revelations, and you can feel it in the music - like weight has lifted off everyone's shoulders.  It's easing, peaceful, sort of like if someone were passing on into the next life.  It does an amazing job of catching that feeling of "letting go", and that's exactly what it needs to do.

Lufia 2: Rise/Curse of the Sinistrals
North Land/World Map/Overworld (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3lx-rxVrDg - Arranged Version off the Soundtrack CD here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ZfS-ak01M): I think Lufia 2 was the first video game soundtrack I downloaded and listened to outside of the game.  It impressed me a lot with the variety of instrumentation and overall excellent, fitting songs.  The battle themes sound like battle themes...the town and character themes are fitting and memorable, and overall, just excellent use of music.  I love having multiple themes for everything in a game, including an overworld, and I have to say, Lufia 2's overworld theme is my favourite.  It sounds like an overworld, like there's a world to explore.  It has an air of mystery, discovery, and evokes stepping out into the great unknown.  It's also quite beautiful of a song overall - I particularly love the woodwind component of the song, and love how the percussion is kept to the back to supplement the main voice of the song.  The instrumentation works and supports itself, instead of one section of instruments vying for control and dominating over another.
For the Saviour/One Who Saves the Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWkHqg5wPt4 - Arranged Version off the Soundtrack CD here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Er8vZJAVmI&feature=related): Now this was a hard choice between this song and the Sinistral Battle theme.  But For the Saviour wins out here.  It is epic - it captures beautifully the end of the world and the heroic actions the hero goes through to stop that from happening.  Just perfect - the fact it's used for the "final battle" in Curse of the Sinistrals in the EX Game just makes it all the better.  I'd explain more, but I think just listening to it is all the explanation it needs.  Just perfect.   

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
The Tokyo Conception (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r1SKWfyGbc): The SMT series has always had great music.  For those of you not familiar with Nocturne, this song plays during the end of the world.  It's short, but it really fits the end of the world.  It has 3 movements that really fit the mood of death and rebirth, which is what the game is about.  The first movement of the song is all about contentment, the final passing of the world.  The second movement signifies the beginning of the world's recreation.  And the third and final movement signifies the bold, new world that's been formed.  Raw.  Emotional.  The song exemplifies death and rebirth perfectly.
The Final Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8shfZfbii4): Haven't put many battle themes on here, but this one is worthy of it here.  I was tempted to put the Dante Battle here, but I like the melancholy, somewhat hopeless feeling of this battle theme.  It's pretty fitting for fighting Lucifer.  It sounds epic, but in a lonely, hopeless way, and based on the storyline, it fits perfectly.  You get the feeling you're fighting in a vast, endless void, which...you are!  It fits the scene amazingly well.   

Tales of the Abyss
Karma - Instrumental (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTB3YA9rjlg): Probably my favourite opening song.  It just...it's so high energy, syncs so well with the opening animation, and is a theme with the game, musically as well as story-wise.  I suggest listening to it, and watching the opening movie.  Although, I really don't like the vocal version much, but it's still decent (so happy they took it out of the English version).  Great song, good enough to fit just about any opening.   
Finish the Promise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk8MaVo5VpI&feature=related): Great final battle theme.  Really one of my favourites.  It's full of meaning and quite epic - excellent climax to an excellent game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:27:38 AM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
Soul Poetry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXIN_A8vOQ): Picking the second song was hard.  And this is a particularly odd choice I think, in that most people won't ever hear it.  But it further exemplifies the amazing variety in the soundtrack.  This song plays when you, uh, Game Over and die (prooooobably either in the airship or at Malpercio's second form >_>).  Just listen to it and close your eyes - it's haunting, which is quite fitting for both the game and for the purpose of the song.  The piano is deliberate, backed up by a ghostly vocal and harpsichord and percussion that just...get to you.  It is amazingly fitting, and amazingly calming, sort of an elegy for the dead, which is perfect.

I could be mistaken, but I do believe this song also plays at the very beginning of the game? Either way, great pick for a stellar soundtrack.

Alright, time for my own submissions. Like OK, I'll be posting YouTube links.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dance of Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7eMrGvG4uo): I could've gone with Dracula's Castle instead, but I feel this song in particular conveys the atmosphere of not only the eeriness, but the elegance and enormity of the castle as well. The fact that it's one of the first tracks you here in the game only draws you into the game even more, as if, the moment you hear that song, you just know you've begun on a quest to complete a truly grand and spectacular game.
Crystal Teardrops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWwJEQt90qk): The second pick was sickeningly difficult to make. I was completely torn between a boss battle track and this one. However, sticking to the theme of the eeriness of Dracula's castle, this track provides an entirely different atmosphere from Dance of Gold. Slow, watery, almost melancholic, the song is shadowed by a nice bass line throughout the entire song, but it's only when the keyboard kicks in that the shivers come from the realization of how far into Dracula's castle you've made it. Heard in the cryptic cellar of the castle, it's a simultaneously melodic, yet haunting tune. Perfect for the game.

Suikoden I
Peaceful People (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKo2d3_qqLQ): Something about this tune just compliments the world of Suikoden. It feels like this song would actually be written and performed by someone from the Suikoden universe. It's a real upbeat tune, and the percussion really stands out. I, for one, have trouble not tapping a toe when listening to this song. The vibe comes across as one of great morale and unity, with people from all walks of life and every corner of the world, which is what Suikoden is all about.
Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58gHcb5oVUU): I had to go with this one. I'm sure anyone who's played Suikoden knows when this song can be heard, and it really fits the mood as well as it could. Suikoden might be a story of morale and unity, but it's also one of conflict and war. In times of war, casualties are inevitable, and it hits you hardest when the ones closest to you are afflicted. This song embodies the very emotion of sadness and grief.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Bearer of Hope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZMhTVV3amQ): So, I was replaying Radiant Dawn, and as I was playing, I was actually stunned by the quality of the soundtrack. This song in particular is simply epic. The lines have been breached, the enemy is upon you in overwhelming numbers, and their reinforcements don't stop coming. It's a very orchestral song, which goes along very well with the atmosphere of a final stand to push away the enemy. It's almost fitting that this song only plays a couple of times, since there are only a couple of battles epic enough to warrant this tune.
Comfort's Call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLzQYabEUkc): On the other end of the spectrum, this song is incredibly soothing; almost eerily so. Putting it in context, it's a really unique vibe of disconcerting serenity that I haven't really had the pleasure to experience in other games. You really can't explain it without spoiling it, which I will hold back on doing so, but it sets up the ambiance of the moment beautifully.

I'll post more as they come to mind.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:42:03 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »
Prolly counts as cheating, but I'm nomming

NIER: pretty much the best thing to come out of video game music since the Mario theme.
Song of the Ancients (Main Theme) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xZbJDZZo4
The Dark Colossus Destroys All (Boss Theme) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDI4GZMVF0

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »
Prolly counts as cheating, but I'm nomming

NIER: pretty much the best thing to come out of video game music since the Mario theme.
Song of the Ancients (Main Theme) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xZbJDZZo4
The Dark Colossus Destroys All (Boss Theme) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDI4GZMVF0

That first video is specifically for "Song of the Ancients / Fate", one of several variations on the Song of the Ancients on the OST.  It's actually boss music.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
I am going to keep this open through the holidays for suggestions. *Whips people* Submit ideas!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »
SaGa Frontier
Last Battle -T260G-: SaGa Frontier has AMAZING boss music, and this is my favorite of the bunch. Nice techno feel to it, fits perfectly for a fight against a genocidal robot. Last Battle -Asellus- was also a thought, as that is also amazing boss music in a totally different style, and fits perfectly for a fight against a french vampire pimp.
The Ancient Ship: To use something you're basically garunteed to hear during the same quest you'd hear the above song in, we have the Ancient Ship. Slow, not a particularly catchy song in it's own right, but sets the feeling of "you are poking around in a strange place best left alone" perfectly. The slow drum beat, the occasional odd metallic sound in the background, the sounds of what might be some kind of creature laughing/making noise/etc, works to set a mysterious tone.

Dissidia 012
Cantata Moratis & God In Fire: This song, or these songs I should say, has a particularly interesting use in game. It's the music that plays when you're fighting Feral Chaos, who has so much HP that you will manage to get through the first song to hear the second. The fight is a slog, it takes forever and really wears on your patience. Then, suddenly, the music does this jarring swap from the chanting style of Cantata Moratis to the fast paced rock style of God In Fire, and it really works to suddenly give you that surge of energy to finish the fight. 
DISSIDIA -Ending-: Possibly an odd choice, but I do like how it flows so smoothly between bits from the ending themes of all the games of the heroes. In game it's timed perfectly with the scene of that hero fading back to their original world, until finally leaving Warrior of Light alone at the end, and playing the FF1 part of the theme as he walks off into the distance. A very well thought out piece of music, especially as a crossover game's ending theme.

Maybe another one or two later.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:00:33 AM »
Final Fantasy X (Nobuo Uematsu, others)
Servants of the Mountain- Just a great melancholy track.  Perfectly fits the people it represents.

Ending Theme- Okay, not the best use of variety, especially for Uematsu, but sue me.  Anyway, this song is so perfect for its scene, triumphant and tragic, sad and heroic, it is the end of the journey.  Hearing this I can perfectly picture the scene for which it plays, and truthfully only one other song has the same ability to drag me back to a particular place...

Final Fantasy VII (Nobuo Uematsu)
Aeris' Theme- ... and that's all that needs to be said about that.

Still More Fighting/Those Who Fight Further- Quite possibly the perfect boss music.  Shit just got real, and it's time to rock!

Valkyrie Profile (Motoi Sakuraba)
Behaving Irrationally- This song basically is Valkyrie Profile's plot.  This is pretty well THE event music in this game, and no other song has quite the right mix of melancholy, sadness, and confusion to truly suit the game.

Turn Over a New Leaf- DIVINE ASSAULT!  NIBELUNG VALESTI!

Wild ARMs 2 (Michiko Naruke)
Field- Last Ignition- Pleasant, upbeat, just a nice track.

Battle- Lord Blazer- ROAD BRAZAAAAAAAAAAAA

And now obscura

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Yoko Shimomura)
Another Side -Battle-- Another Side is basically the distillation of all things KH battle themes, this version cuts the build up and gets straight to the mansex.

Musique pour la tristesse de Xion- Yeah I like sad themes.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:20:40 PM »
Star Control 2: I don't think I've seen another game that so ably melded whimsy and cosmic drama. The game's soundtrack was good at reflecting both. I'm counting the remixes for the purposes of this contest since they were bundled with the shareware version of the game. Through the Angles of Space for the new, and Yehat Theme for old time's sake.

Final Fantasy Tactics: FFT's composers knew to hit just the right note of tension for a dramatic battle. I guess they're not alone in that, but it's not often enough that people weave character and story motifs into other contexts for effect. It's just great at making any one scene feel more like part of a whole. Antipyretic and Battle On the Bridge.

Guilty Gear X: GGX specifically since I'm less fond of the arrangements in GGXX. Just good, fun rock music that ably conveys the game's general attitude. Holy Orders (Be Just Or Be Dead) for the obligatory iconic nod and Blue Water Blue Sky for a silly little thing which is the theme song for a silly little thing.

Shadow of the Colossus: Game knew when to keep quiet and when to cut the brake line before shoving you down a hill. Demise of the Ritual for the former circumstance and The Opened Way for official declaration of not fucking around.

Wild Arms 3: Naruke's best work, in my opinion. WA3 synth isn't the greatest, but the composition is just good, jaunty fun. There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger and Losing the Inescapable Nightmare for boss greatness.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 12:32:59 AM »
Dark Souls: Dark Souls is a game of hopelessness and epic achievements.  The atmosphere of the levels gives that epic feel, and the biting and difficult combat gives way to hopelessness as you die again and again.  Music is reserved nearly solely for boss fights with only two levels having music and several important NPCs, and all tracks are named after what they are played for.  The two tracks I chose are boss themes, representing both that epicness and despair.  A third/trailing second choice was one of the only level themes, but without the actual level that loses some of its impact.
Ornstein and Smough: Ornstein and Smough is an incredibly epic battle track coupled with the most difficult and rewarding fight in the game.  Like the music that plays it is a relentlesss barrage that always keeps you on edge waiting and striking at opportune times.
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder: A somber piano piece, as you engage in combat with someone who has given more then their all to safeguard what they believe in.  It is not an epic fight in the means of some grand battle between two powerful egos.  It is the end of a hero who has fought so long he is nothing more than a rabid dog needing to be put down.  Though he once was what made everything feel safe, he is a now a danger.

Ace Combat Zero
Zero: The fate of the world lies in your hands, but that isn't what you're fighting about.  This is a personal fight that has the future of the world as a background for you.  For your opponent that is what he's fighting for, but not you, you're here for him.
Mayhem: Has a cowbell.  Nothing more needs to be said.

Fate / Stay Night
Emiya: Emiya plays whenever heroic doofus Shirou gets a bout of heroism in his head and decides to act on it.  Usually by doing all the heroic things of badass that a guy who can magically make swords can do.  And generally all that happens when he confronts something that is directly connected to his personal ideals and goals.
Mighty Wind: To my knowledge, this song only plays once in the game, having been added in with the PS2 port.  Said fight is the ultimate representation of both unrealized and fulfilled potential.  A piece about what could have been and what was.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
I'll add a few in, sure!

Okami: The Sun Rises; if I have to explain why I'm nomming this song to represent the OST, I will cry. In addition to that, I'll just toss in Shinshu Fields going on a different end of the spectrum.  More placid (instead of dramatic), and gives a better sense of a journey, it well represents the mood Okami has for music, let alone the game as a whole.

Okamiden: The Final Boss theme just cause it gives that strong epic feel, and its something you don't expect from a game as playful as this.  This combined with Thundercloud just because its so random and the "music for the sake of music!" fits really will with how the series is "Art for the sake of art."

Final Fantasy 6: The oddly named Terra's theme, not only is it really popular and strong piece but its also the iconic theme song for the game.  I was debating about the other song, and decided to go with Dancing Mad (vers. 4), just because it shows the range of the game's soundtrack in one song, being maddening and intense at the same time, and just a perfect fit for the character it plays for.

I might add more later, but this should suffice.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 01:45:52 AM »
Two is not enough for some of these...

Ar tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica
EXEC_with.METHOD_METAFALICA/. - The ending theme.  The way the vocals work together and how the song evolves is absolutely amazing.
Varna - The first battle theme.  I was actually saddened when the normal battle theme changed, since the other ones aren't as good.
(Thought about putting Indra or Sky Port Girl here as well, but Varna seemed like a better idea.)

Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Yellow Zone - The normal battle theme.  Somewhat lighthearted, but also conveys the feeling of battle at the same time.  Also has unique instrumentation.
Red Zone - The strong enemy battle theme.  It's kind of a heavily modified version of Yellow Zone, designed to be much more chaotic and convey the feeling of an intense and dangerous battle.
(Incidentally, the fact that these are somewhat similar is very deliberate, as the world map and field themes do the same thing in a different way.  There are six field themes that are all a variation on the world map theme.  When going to these fields, the music smoothly changes into the field's theme without starting over or stopping at all.  It's a nice touch that really adds to the musical experience.  Most of the battle themes would have been great picks from the OST, but I felt these two conveyed the style much better.)

Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Red Lucifer Rising - The final battle theme.  Suitably rocking for an intense final battle.  I also like how it starts out with the game's "main theme".
Corridors of the Sky - While Atelier Iris 2 has some really good battle themes, I feel that the field themes are where it shines.  This one is a very simple track, but is nonetheless beautiful.
(i almost put in Seething Fighting Spirit instead of Red Lucifer Rising but to go with the more rocking track.  Corridors of the Sky was an easy pick for the field theme, but most of the others are also amazing.)

Wild Arms XF
So Warm and Soft - One of the most beautiful town themes I've ever heard.  Too bad no one pays attention to it over all the battle theme hype.
A Professional Villain Clad in Sand - The battle theme against the Tormenta Triad.  Out of all of the boss themes, this one sticks out to me the most due to its unique style.
(Surprised no one posted this one yet.  The choices here were pretty easy, but there are still a lot of good choices on this OST.)

Not sure what to put fifth.  Hopefully I'll decide before this gets running.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 03:11:48 AM »
Final Fantasy 8
There's a ton of great stuff in this soundtrack.  I even like Eyes on Me, I'll admit it.  (Shame that one of the few meh pieces, Blue Fields, has such a prominent role, but whatever.)

The Legendary Beast - This one is just cool.
Premonition - A combination of the sorceress theme & the military theme. That is also fantastic.

Final Fantasy 13
Pretty much the best soundtrack Hamauzu's done, I think.  They sure do repeat the main theme a lot, but good thing it's a solid theme with lots to do to it.  For instance...

The Archylte Steppe - This is totally an overworld theme.  If FF13 had an overworld.  Which it didn't.  But hey.  Call it a stand-in for the relaxing, adventurey version of the theme.
Blinded by Light - Hey it's the same thing except now you can fight to it. 

Tales of Legendia
This game could have used a bit more music, but the stuff that's there is great.  Lots of tempting options here.

To Deliver the Feelings
Advancing Toward 12 o'Clock

Heroes of Might & Magic II
My obligatory PC something pick.  Opera singers for fantasy castle music?  Uh sure.  The fact that they were all catchy & good music even ignoring the singing helped.

Sorceress Castle - Nommed this in one of the old music tournies, so arguably should mix it up, but whatever.
Snow theme - Short but very flavorful location music, since HoMM2 had good music all around, not just the castle themes.

EDIT:
Sure, I'll toss in another.  Don't feel like having XS3 shot down, so will instead go with:

Shadow Hearts
What a weird yet awesome soundtrack.  There are a few misses, but I'll take that when doing something new and bizarre.

Much Hatred Still Rankles - This is the *heroic* kickass theme.  Unexpected, yet it still works.  I love it.
Imbroglio - Chimes.  What.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:31:26 PM by SnowFire »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »
Legend of Mana Yoko Shimomura

The Running Memory - The track is mainly used for Nordic Snowfield, and this track certainly does its job to sounds icey. The main melody delivers a melancholic but not yet sorrowful feel, which presented Nordic Snowfield's essence as a land of tragedy. Glaciera lost her best friend here, and Mehpianse lost his brother. But both had accepted what had occurred as they revisited their memory as they run by the snowfield, thus the melancholic yet not sorrowful tune is very fitting composition. The sub melody also delivered a crystallized air, as if pointing out the shattered Jumi core that was buried under the snow, and the flower that had born from it. Shimomura always had the strong point of matching her music with the content of the game, and I must say this is one of the best example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nikNVvJLPl8&feature=related

Missing Truth - This is another piece where Shimomura done well in matching her composition with the game content. And I would say this track not only have an impact audibly, but perhaps visually as well. I... uh... this is where I find my own terminology lacking and couldn't think of a way to delivery my impression on this track. I think the best way I can put it here is it made the light looked beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4fFifekA0&feature=related

Saga Frontier 2 - Masashi Hamauzu

Snow once said how Hamauzu is capable of pulling out a Piano Suite over 10 minutes and not losing pace at all. I'd say SF2's entire OST connected from beginning to the end without losing pace at all. One might argue that Hamauzu achieved this by overusing same two motiff over and over again. I'll admit this true, but I think this is more of a pro than a con. It sustain the general picture of the world at the same time really made the difference between each tracks stand out (aka, what represented the change of the history).

I'll point out Vorspiel that marks the beginning and Ovation that detonated the final arc of the game.

Vorspiel -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fifr8nwqwU&feature=related

Ovation -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6rpzCqt90&feature=related

Nier - Keiichi Okabe, Kakeru Ishihama, Keigo Hoashi, Takafumi Nishimura

Stupidly epic and well composed in all aspect, and individual track are rich of content for personal interpretation. There are just so many way you can interpret the music here, with Song of Ancient being especially so.

Song of Ancient/Fate -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKRkoleJ1mI&feature=related

Shadowlord -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-M5o0kLEI&feature=related

Oh, on a extra note, whys is Kaine/Rain of Light not in the game? That is like one of the stupidest decision ever made in this game.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11840248

Y's Seven - Falcom JDK

What I have always find interesting in JDK is how they can cling to that traditional cookie cutter feel, mix it with animeson elements, but the same time can still do a good job orchestrally. It felt like SRW, but a different approach, with SRW being animeson oriented due to its nature.
ED6's Silver Will would be a good example to it, I think it is also the reason why both the fans and composers going back to that track. And personally, Y's Seven felt like the most advance version of JDK's composition concept.

Smashing through the Mountain Path-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzYNIybEtI

Legend of the Five Great Dragons-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhPrOeyMd2I&feature=related

Wild Arms 5 - Masato Kouda, Noriyasu Agematsu
Comments later, if I can think of something.....

Crossing Over the Sorrowful Land-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9bITd7IT0I

Seeking the Blue Sky (ver. YAKISOBA) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57NC_cj8GnI

Idun

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »
ER.

I'll just nom SaGa Frontier II. Todfeind, Zaubermarchen, Botshaft, Naturvolk, Feldschlacht IV, Magestat... every track is wonderful. I don't agree that Hamauzu uses much of a motif on this soundtrack, as opposed to the more recent example of his work in FF13. I like versatility, and this is his best example of interposing various sounds from jazz, classical -- though, mm, no pop.

I'll also back someone on Castlevania Symphony of the Night, but stress Crystal Teardrops. Best track to hear "Soul Steal" in.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 02:43:03 AM »
Hamazu actually admitted reusing the same motif himself though. He cited Roman from the OST and Alpha 1 from the piano album as the examples.
Though the motif he is referring to here is less about composition style but more about melodic patterns.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 02:51:04 AM »
Star Control 2: I don't think I've seen another game that so ably melded whimsy and cosmic drama. The game's soundtrack was good at reflecting both. I'm counting the remixes for the purposes of this contest since they were bundled with the shareware version of the game. Through the Angles of Space for the new, and Yehat Theme for old time's sake.

I was considering nomming this myself!  Good thing someone else did.  Great choices - was considering nomming "Welcome to Falayalaralfali" and the Yehat Theme myself, so seeing one of them there is great!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:12:47 AM »
It was hard to choose one. Welcome to Unpronounceable was a contender at least.

Idun

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:30 AM »
Hamazu actually admitted reusing the same motif himself though. He cited Roman from the OST and Alpha 1 from the piano album as the examples.
Though the motif he is referring to here is less about composition style but more about melodic patterns.

Is this motif in Vorspiel (you mentioned)? Other than a melodic string, it.. it's kinda hard to tell (Naturvolk, for example, has strings in some other tracks). Trying to think here.

Edit* I'm not including Piano Rhapsody. I'll put in my OST and try a bit harder (had to reinstall everything).

Edit Edit* Not even going passed the first four songs on Disc 1. I know which motif you're talking about! *feels jelly* I was thinking battle themes a la 13. Oh well! Hamauzu is God in many renditions, jes?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:07:21 PM by Idun »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »
The easiest way to spot it is to listen to Feldschlacht, which had the motif all in there. I and the IV is the most apparent.
I actually grew a huge liking over this composition style, sticking to one motif actually can let you appreciate the instrumentation and the harmony more.

(and thanks to that, I end up appreciating Sakimoto more on his motif heavy works too)