Author Topic: Crazysauce Team Tournament: Week 1  (Read 4212 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Crazysauce Team Tournament: Week 1
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:52:15 PM »
And so, we come to it, the craziness. 

Essentially, we are becoming DL Scouts!  The concept is this; each team will be aspiring to complete five challenges to earn various badges.  There are six events, meaning that losing two weeks will result in elimination.  If multiple teams should achieve their goal, then we begin straight elimination matches.  the two divisions will face similar, though not identical, challenges, in the form of battles of course.

Because I have a bad habit of not writing ideas down, I remember the core concept but not some of the match ideas I had.  As such, there won't be a smooth progression in difficulty or theme to the badges, but hopefully people won't mind.

Heavyweight Division- Badge of Stamina

Clarissa Arwin and Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Lucas and Kumatora (Mother 3) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Augustine Naboor and Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Gau and Mog (Final Fantasy VI) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Snow Villiers and Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII)  vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna  (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Jude Maverick and Kresnik Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Crono and Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Ulrika Mulberry and Etward Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Tidus and Rikku (Final Fantasy X) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Dorothy and Lion (The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Fujin and Seifer Almasy (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Yosuke Hanamura and Teddie (Persona 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Dekar and Lexis (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Weigraf Folles and Beowulf Cadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Lyon and Miakis (Suikoden V) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Razelux Mitzen and Liliane Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Maya Schroedinger and Virginia Maxwell (Wild ARMs 3) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Pamela Ibis and Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Meru and Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Peppita Rosetti and Adray Lasbard (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Vanille de Oerba and Clair 'Lightning' Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Blanca and Lucia (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Prove Yourself Division- Badge of Healing

Emma Hetfield and Mariel (Wild ARMs Alter Code F) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Varkas and Sydonia (Suikoden) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Tim Rhymeless and Luceid (Wild ARMs 2) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Thomas and Cecile (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Estella and Rody (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)  vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Jin Uzuki and Gaignun Kukai Jr. (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Cyan Garamonde and Banon (Final Fantasy VI) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Guido and Mullen (Grandia) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Genis Sage and Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Edward and Tellah (Final Fantasy IV) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Chu-Chu and Maria Balthasar (Xenogears) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Doll and Cotton (SaGa Frontier) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Noel Chandler and Chisato Madision (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Liz and Ard (Wild ARMs 2) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Alfred Shroedinger and Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Rufus Shinra and Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Mario and Luigi (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Flonne and Gordon (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Solt and Peppor (Chrono Cross) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Mallow and Croc (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

I intend to run this 'til monday, but obviously it can be pushed back to the following week.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Crazysauce Team Tournament: Week 1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
Oh!!  Important note!!

Please do not apply scaling beyond simple game-to-game conversions to Melfice and Vinsfeld.  This note will apply for any and all future boss-based badge tests.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
Since it's pretty darn important: Anyone remember which, if any, of Vinsfeld's attacks were MT?  Or trooping over to YouTube to find an LP of the fight or something?  (The WA2 boss stat topic never says on these details.)

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
Incur My Wrath is MT, and basically his best move no matter what.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »
Right, so Vinsfeld has an MT 4HKO wound up behind unscaled durability.  Which since he faces 2 opponents rather than 3 is a nice increase.  A pretty bloody week for the challengers, all told.

First aid spam.

Is that an MT Physical or an MT magic attack?  Pretty important here (for all that it probably doesn't matter in-game due to WA2 defensive stat disrespect).  Looks like 2 combos + 2 Cecile attacks if magical, + lots more Cecile attacks if physical.  Probably goes to the S3 team.

Estella runs out of juice, Rody's spoiling is irrelevant vs. MT.

Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)  vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
No Lich hype.  EDIT: But Norn healing hype, sure.

Jin Uzuki and Gaignun Kukai Jr. (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
What a slapfight.  Vinsfeld does give the XS2 team time to set up...  but even with time, they're still not great.  Best case scenario is something like each stocks twice, Jin breaks -> Air (I'd force Jin to spend 2 turns = 4 attacks to break most bosses), and there's no boost gague built so Jr. can't boost in...  but...  he's faster than Vinny's next turn, and Air is followed by Down followed by normal if you don't Boost, so Jr. wails on Vinny's downed body.  That's...  assuming average damage strikes and double damage on downed Vinny...  1.20 PCHP + 2.40 PCHP = 3.60 PCHP?  Eh, not sure that's enough.  On second thought, since Shion & Momo & chaos are dragging the HP average down, Vinny might just 5HKO, which would give a sure victory to the XS2 team.

Cyan Garamonde and Banon (Final Fantasy VI) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
The ID doesn't connect in time.

Unless you see Mullen as blocking Vinsfeld's moves.

Genis Sage and Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Colette is hyped for good damage in the stat topic IIRC, but eh, no.

Tellah has healing... and..  90 MP.  Edward has no offense and is like 20HKOing here.  Tellah can speed it up with his spells, but at the cost of less healing.  And he needs to heal fairly aggressively since Edward is probably 3HKOed by Vinny.  I let Psych/Osmose work on bosses but the spell also has a giant casting time.  An impressive failoff, although later versions of FF4 apparently buff Edward.

Healing.  EDIT: See below, Chu-Chu runs out of EP.

Noel Chandler and Chisato Madision (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Healing, ID-blocking, Chisato isn't exactly a Light anyway.

Scaled Liz & Ard?  No.

Alfred Shroedinger and Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Rufus Shinra and Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Dark Nation would be more help than Palmer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:32:58 AM by SnowFire »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:22:12 PM »
Just thoughts right now, no official votes.

Clarissa Arwin and Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Rob Turn probably wins this?
Lucas and Kumatora (Mother 3) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - I think they can heal through his stuff? maybe?
Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Pretty sure Glass Shield terribly fucks over Melfice...
Augustine Naboor and Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Hum. I don't think they have any hope because Melfice has ITE... right?

Gau and Mog (Final Fantasy VI) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - How does Melfice actually hurt either of them?
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Hmm... traps... probably win this?
Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna  (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Oof. I don't think this one is happening.

Jude Maverick and Kresnik Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Umm... no idea here.
Crono and Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Can Marle get a turn? I think she can.
Ulrika Mulberry and Etward Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - ????
Tidus and Rikku (Final Fantasy X) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Sonic Steel probably wins this?

Dorothy and Lion (The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Hmm... I think they win?
Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - I think they do too...
Fujin and Seifer Almasy (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Oh dear god.
Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yosuke Hanamura and Teddie (Persona 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Pretty sure the Ma-kajas win this.
Dekar and Lexis (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Hmm... I don't know here.
Weigraf Folles and Beowulf Cadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Chicken Respect 
Lyon and Miakis (Suikoden V) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Sure

Peppita Rosetti and Adray Lasbard (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Vanille de Oerba and Clair 'Lightning' Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Emma Hetfield and Mariel (Wild ARMs Alter Code F) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) -
Varkas and Sydonia (Suikoden) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) -
Tim Rhymeless and Luceid (Wild ARMs 2) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) -
Thomas and Cecile (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) -

Estella and Rody (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Pretty sure they can...
Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)  vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - This group has healing, which is auto win vs. Vinsfeld.
Cyan Garamonde and Banon (Final Fantasy VI) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - LOL Cyan can get up to an 8 charge here, that owns

Genis Sage and Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - They have healing, which means...
Edward and Tellah (Final Fantasy IV) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - LOL this is just sad...
Chu-Chu and Maria Balthasar (Xenogears) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) -

Doll and Cotton (SaGa Frontier) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - MagicHeal
Noel Chandler and Chisato Madision (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - NOEL HEALING HYPE

Rufus Shinra and Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - BOSS IMMUNITY
Flonne and Gordon (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Haha, Flonne can heal other people now.
Solt and Peppor (Chrono Cross) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - They might lose though. :(

Mallow and Croco (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:07:17 PM by Nephrite »

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »
Snowfire, I will ask:

What kills Saradin and Norn vs. Vinsfeld? Norn has MT healing that should easily outpace the damage, and Saradin's magic is pretty strong.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
Nephrite: I forgot about the healing.  (Saradin, though, I hold to being a Mage or whatever with no class upgrade item, so his damage is quite bad to me.)

Clarissa spams Rob Turn -> Rob Turn, Alexia uses Revolver Sweep to clean up the parts.  Problem is that Silence resolving is game, and the team can't afford to take much damage, so Clarissa needs to steal the turns of the Regenerator until it's dead and preferably only let Melfice's main body get one turn at best.  And Alexia is 8HKOing here while Clarissa is spamming RTs.  Mrph, depends on how fast the Regenerator is (which the stat topic doesn't know) - if it's faster than Clarissa, Silence is killer.  If it's slower...  well, Clarissa still needs to connect on it consistently until it's down.  It's a tough fight.  If somebody claims the Regenerator is super-frail and will be 2HKOed by Alexia's Revolver Sweeps even unscaled, then I'd vote XF, but otherwise requires too much luck.

The good: these two have overkill accuracy and are the people who can actually hit endgame Yuber without being countered, so I'd let 'em wail on Melfice.  The bad: Melfice will MT 2-3HKO them all.  Let's say it's a 3HKO...  that still gives them only 6 turns of damage to do ~4.0 PCHP.  They've got good damage, but not that good.

I only let Gau have his initial rages.  Mog's healing dances aren't consistent enough, eventually Melfice will have an opening.

Snow Villiers and Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
The team walks in with Silence-prevention gear, which while not perfect, will help.  Hope then casts Haste -> Veil.  So long as not silenced, they can heal / tank forever.  But that 10-20% chance of Silence resolving on Hope is game, so they can't dawdle.  Pretty good match, vaguely favors the FF13 team I think but not by much, maybe 60-40.

MT Healing, Silence blocking, Stocke has some MT fire moves.

Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Nothing like incomplete stat topics in that Jessica's moves are left out, even duel-relevant ones.  They both have status healing (Cleanse Litany / Purity Song) so Silence hype actually doesn't work, short of the Regenerator doubling (and I don't think it was as fast as Melfice).  So Melfice's only hope is to blitz out before the Cascade Songs set in, which never ever expire and raise their defense a bunch.  I guess Luna might have MP issues since the team's offense is... anemic...  and Luna leaves at a part of the game where MP is an issue, but eh.  Cascade Song's damage buff should deal with that and Melfice is mostly physical offense which becomes a lot sadder post-buff.

I think Kresnik turtles Melfice to death with his MP-regen Haste-Healing thing.  Jude gets the haste part too, which he likes.

I think Sword + the ST damage move kills Marle outright before she gets a move.  Crono can spam Life, but it doesn't matter.  So no Hasted healing hype.

Hasted Rikku spams Al-Bhed Potions.

Fujin's thing is HP-1 and Pain, so no.

Millenia reserves her SP for Spellbinding Eyes and uses Magic during her damage turns rather than Fallen Wings.  Ryudo's Sky Dragon Slash hopefully cleans up the pieces.  Tricky, though, considering it's 2 characters vs. unscaled.

Don't think Lexis blocks Silence?

Weigraf Folles and Beowulf Cadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
I'd let Beowulf Chicken Melfice out, sure, but I don't see his shield doing a damn thing vs. Melfice's real damage, and he's slow, so.

No healing, Lyon runs out of gas, Miakis is kind of dead weight.  EDIT: Okay Miakis is useful, but Lyon still can't do enough damage before running out of MP and Miakis is tied to spamming healz.

No idea.

Not good MT healing here, at least.

Vanille de Oerba and Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
No Veil here, but two Medics, so Silence isn't much of a threat.  While Lightning's healing is kind of cruddy, it's enough to give Vanille time to debuff Melfice with Deprotect & friends to set Lightning up for an elemental weakness damage spree.

The Middle & Light take it, I see.  Silence blocking, full healing, buffing, sure.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:41:41 AM by SnowFire »

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
Yeah, I don't think Saradin being a Mage matters. He definitely wants Wizard there for more spells, though.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:04 AM »

Clarissa Arwin and Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Melfice is faster and can take some of the sting out of sacrifice. Alexia isn't really suited to this fight.
Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Kneejerk. Two attacks are knocking out WR no matter what (Glass shield is a wasted turn) and Asellus has problems hitting mystic change here.
Augustine Naboor and Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden II s) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- This is easier.

Gau and Mog (Final Fantasy VI) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Straight up love token respect check, I think. Otherwise Melfice should outlast with stats/buffs/healing the saddest fight this side of Dario/Alanis.
Snow Villiers and Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII)  vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Hope gets OHKOed. Don't think Snow can win from there.
Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna  (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Jude Maverick and Kresnik Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Think so.
Crono and Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Revive lock.
Tidus and Rikku (Final Fantasy X) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Abstain.

Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Magic blitz.
Fujin and Seifer Almasy (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Even if Fujin doesn't eat a OHKO, she is poorly suited ot this fight. Seifer is Seifer.
Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- ITE.

Yosuke Hanamura and Teddie (Persona 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- I think Teddie avoids a OHKO, should be enough?
Dekar and Lexis (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Double Lexis, smash. Dekar can't really damage Melfice.
Weigraf Folles and Beowulf Cadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Bad boss fighting team.
Lyon and Miakis (Suikoden V) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Miakis's healing gives them enough time.

Pamela Ibis and Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Melfice (Grandia II)
Meru and Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Meru is OHKOed.

Peppita Rosetti and Adray Lasbard (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Kneejerking that Peppita's skillset isn't suited to the fight, and Adray is awfully slow.
Vanille de Oerba and Clair 'Lightning' Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Vanille's extra durability tips this.
Blanca and Lucia (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- No idea, abstain.

Varkas and Sydonia (Suikoden) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Low end suikoscrubs, goooo.
Thomas and Cecile (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Woah, Incur my wrath is magic.

Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)  vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Healing.

Edward and Tellah (Final Fantasy IV) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Tellah is 2HKOed, Edward is 3HKOed. Curaga... is enough even so? Proibably. God.

Doll and Cotton (SaGa Frontier] vsVinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- NO. NO. NO. DIE. NO. Cotton should just avoid  a 2HKO even with a blood chalice, which is a win for him.
Noel Chandler and Chisato Madision (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Fairy light to counter incur my wrath, Chisato attacks.
Alfred Shroedinger and Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Yep, done voting on this miserable pile of secrets.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:33:47 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 02:32:16 AM »
Peppita Rosetti and Adray Lasbard (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Highly dependent on proficiency levels. L5+ Healing Dance cancel bonus chains are decent healing. L10 Healing Dance is good. Maybe levelled Healing Dance > Faerie Friend chains + Adray w/th levelled Fairy Light might work? Or perhaps it might be best to try a sheer blitz down w/th Counter X/Short X >  L5+ Power Dance > Faerie Friend chains. Don't forget Faerie Friend's AoE/crowd control will catch both the Sword and Regenerator in addition to Melfice here too. Worth also noting with the damage route Power Dance will be boosting Adray's damage output as well (Titan Fist and the like) Or alternatively Adray/holds locks the targets in place/stun lock cancels w/th Thunder Flare/Lightning Blast while Peppita pummels 'em as hard as possible with Power Dance > FF/Kaboom chains? Or they wear the targets down w/th Thunder Flare/Lightning Blast + Healing Dance > Faerie Friend/Kaboom chains? Kaboom is Peppita's bypass parry/evade/agl move for SO3's higher difficulty modes where enemies get an insane AGL boost on that note.  Know not everyone buys the parry bypassing moves like Hammer of Might/Air Raid/Kaboom/etc getting past evade in the DL and hold it vs physical blockers like Raquel's instead (Snow) but for those who do. Kaboom isn't as damaging as Faerie Friend either but yeah is definitely Peppita's safety/interuption/accuracy first based skill of choice on the higher difficulty modes. Do need to check up on Melfice's durability though~

Also worth noting Adray has the fastest menu spell casting times in the game and dance start up/effects/cancelling are some of Peppita's fastest stuff, for those who take casting times and the like into account when determining speed breaks for ARPG characters~
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:02:50 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 02:40:05 AM »
Snowfire:  2 notes.  Chu-Chu's healing is ST.  and Miakis has a Shield Rune, healing etc.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »
CK: Okay, forgot that about Miakis.  I don't think it changes either vote though, Lyon is a terrible mage who still runs out of MP trying to get through 4 PCHP worth of unscaled durability even when backed by meh healing.  Meanwhile even ST healing is enough to damp down Vinsfeld unless it's really scrubby, which it apparently isn't (~65% is certainly enough to round-robin heal).

super: I think you're being a bit harsh on Alexia.  She's good against Melfice - an area attack that hits all his pieces and overkill accuracy to actually hit him.  If she had an MT healer of reasonable speed as a partner, she'd be pretty useful for taking him on, speed be damned.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:46 AM »
It's also worth keeping in mind that both Maria and Chu-Chu are really slow.  Without looking up the numbers, doesn't he 2HKO Maria as well?  I guess Chu-Chu does have revival but that suddenly puts a lot of burden on Chu-Chu's resources.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32:11 AM »
Checking the stat topic, Maria has .79 PCHP and average Ether Defense.  So a 4HKO is a 3HKO vs. her.  Chu-Chu has 64 EP and her healing move costs 2 EP, so 32 heals.  That's not an issue.  However...  Maria, if she empties her EP on Robo Kick, can do 7 of them.  They're .29 PCHP a piece, so 2.06 PCHP damage total (and scratch damage afterward).  Vinny has ~3.5-4.0 PCHP unscaled.  Okay, so that'll need some Chu-Chu damage as well...  if Chu-Chu is fully healed than berserker blitzkriegs, it's at least .40 PCHP damage, possibly more since she apparently gets a boost from dead allies (since she'll only attack after letting Maria die and healing herself once more).  So Chu-Chu needs to sneak in 1.1-1.6 PCHP damage somewhere off her EP.  That would be 8-10 Forest Winds (assuming she can sneak them in at all), so ~40 EP cost.  Which cuts her heals down to ~12 or so, and imply she's alternating between heal and damage.  That seems implausible - with the 3HKO incoming, she has to do a heal-Maria / heal-self / attack loop that's twice as many heal turns as attack ones.  (Also, for the record, I'm already using the Yamikei-less average here, so that won't save the girls either.)

Okay, so I think Vinsfeld claims another cute scalp.  Not really on board for speed hype but looks like resource depletion does it, weirdly enough.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:37:09 AM by SnowFire »

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
None of my noms made it in.  Instant fail, boycotting this tournament~

Lucas and Kumatora (Mother 3) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Yep.  Melfice is pretty awesome.  3 parts of sheer awesome fun, healing, and canceling.  Pretty evil here - none of these guys stand a chance, though Lucas/Kumatora fares the best.

As above. 

Ulrika Mulberry and Etward Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Now, Tardus/Rikku is...interesting.  Initiative + Hastega ensures they act first each round, and a start-up Overdrive is pretty crazy with, say,  Trio of 9999 or some-such.  It's close...so I'll give it to them.  Use is horribly broken.

Dorothy and Lion (The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Yeah.  Seifer + Fujin have enough to take this - yay 4th form Seifer. 

Even the stallers get smashed by poison + silence + move-block.  Hooray.

Razelux Mitzen and Liliane Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II)

Straightforward.

Same.

Emma Hetfield and Mariel (Wild ARMs Alter Code F) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Instant death plus consistent damage.  Not a challenge. 

Same as above.  Now, Cyan + Banon may very well win...except Banon isn't A) from what I remember, around to purchase ID blockers and B) can't change equipment anyway, from what I remember.  So...uh....yeah.

Hey, a loss for Vinsfeld!  While XG can't block instant death that I am aware of, Chu-Chu is badass and just grows then sits on Vinsfeld and kills him. 

Hey, another loss!  Noel and Chisato have ID protection, and can heal, and have Algol hype.  Liz/Ard and Alfred/Shady are a decent challenge, but get worn down.  Doll and Cotton just suck.

Mario and Luigi (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)
Flonne and Gordon (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Somewhat closer than other matches, but still easily in Vinsfeld's favour.

Mallow and Croc (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Same as always.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:55:40 PM »
Lucas and Kumatora (Mother 3) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Unsure
Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Glass Shield doesn't do enough here.  On the other hand I underestimated Asellus's ability to avoid basic physicals so there you go

Gau and Mog (Final Fantasy VI) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - ugh, no.  I don't allow FF6 Charm so this requires actual thought
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Probably (when did i vote pass for stocke/aht i don't remember doing that)
Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - People whose sole offense consists of basic physicals against Melfice.

Crono and Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Revive lock (edit: bolding fuckup)

Dorothy and Lion (The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - uhhh
Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Unsure
Fujin and Seifer Almasy (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - No.
Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - I'll bite

Dekar and Lexis (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - No.
Weigraf Folles and Beowulf Cadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Also no.

Meru and Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Melfice (Grandia II) - Resource issues.  If Melfice's HP were being scaled here then they'd probably take it to me here.

Varkas and Sydonia (Suikoden) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Edit: roight, they had one of the better combo attacks.  That's probably enough here.
Tim Rhymeless and Luceid (Wild ARMs 2) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - First Aid.

Edward and Tellah (Final Fantasy IV) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Kill things faster Edward

Rufus Shinra and Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - ...
Mario and Luigi (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Bros. Attack hype?!
Flonne and Gordon (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Resource issues
Solt and Peppor (Chrono Cross) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - ...

Mallow and Croc (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2) - Probably not.

God, this is terrible.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:35:14 PM by Random Consonant »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »

Gau and Mog (Final Fantasy VI) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- I mean...Melfice can't make damage stick here
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Doubt Melfice was immune to being moved
Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna  (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Now if the Lunar team had a solid method of doing damage here, it might be okay. Melfice himself isn't great at it (Yeah, that big MT magic comes up when something is dead so...)

Jude Maverick and Kresnik Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Hasted Jude isn't too scary here since his damage checks speed, evade and defense, two of which Melfice is great on. Kresnik isn't easy to kill, but my respect for anything resembling damage for him is pretty non-existant.
Ulrika Mulberry and Etward Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Et's strong point is dishing out a lot (DL wise) of evadable damage at once, so this isn't going over too well.

Dorothy and Lion (The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- No Silence blocking and the only way to constantly get around his evasion is a recipe for dead Dorothy

Dekar and Lexis (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Abstain. This is closer to me than most I think.

Razelux Mitzen and Liliane Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- Make matters worse, both of their best damages unfocus to a degree against multi parts
Pamela Ibis and Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Melfice (Grandia II)- MT magic is slow, and the 800 damage one is unlocked when something dies. Basically, Melfice has little recourse against Pamela.

Easier first

Estella and Rody (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Vinsfield 7HKOs Estella (6HKO, and then she evades an extra hit). She does 7600 damage in that time, and can throw in an extra very quick 250 at least with doubling. Rody gets in 5 attacks, and does 1250. So at least 9000 damage, and 8900 is 5 PC HP (where I'm gutting Vins). The only team without healing that does it!
Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)   vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)

Edward and Tellah (Final Fantasy IV) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Tellah's damage is pretty murderous, but he gets 3 of them. He can do 4 PC HP alone, meaning that Edward would have to do that remainder. But...well, Tellah may be 2HKOed (by HP he is, no clue is 14 Mdef to 11 average is worth remotely anything) and he may be slower. Either is fatal. And probably the slower one is correct.
Chu-Chu and Maria Balthasar (Xenogears) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2)- Wow, resource fail+general Chu Chu fail.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:28:09 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »

Uhh... okay. Let's review Melfice from the stat topic. I definitely take him against the book stats, so... 135% speed, slightly over PCHP (which becomes more like 3.6x here), does 60% to average or 45% to both (latter hits both defences). I take his evade as 75% as per the tests before we actually figured out exactly how it worked. The status is the big question mark here.

Clarissa Arwin and Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Clarissa dislikes unscaled HP and Alexia dislikes whiffing half the time even with her good accuracy. Can't really see them taking this.

Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Melfice (Grandia II): WR is immune to silence, but Asellus won't like Moveblock too much. Asellus' base status def is bad enough I could even see moveblock being turn 1, which leaves her pretty useless until she dies or until it wears off. Don't think I'd see it sealing Mystic Weapons so she can still transform, granted. WR, meanwhile, gets a free turn with which to cast LightSword (now she's almost Melfice speed) and can then turtle with GlassShield until Asellus' status wears off (assuming it can). Once it does the two can handle things together pretty well. Also, if Asellus has the ShadeRobe, she can use it to heal WR and overwhelm Melfice even while statused.

Augustine Naboor and Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Uh yeah, they can't heal and are reliant on evadable damage, accurate or not.

Gau and Mog (Final Fantasy VI) vs Melfice (Grandia II): 'sup charm-bait. TOTAL lack of respect for G2 bosses against a status that gets all bosses in their home game, I can't hear your complaints over Spellbinding Eye's ironclad evidence.

Snow Villiers and Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII)  vs Melfice (Grandia II): Melfice gets an opening attack which he can't do much with. I guess he hits Hope to put Hope on the defensive. Of course, Snow then taunts him and Hope heals himself. DHS doesn't really scare Hope, so he can make headway with healing and then start buffing as soon as he can survive, which seals the match. Neither type of Melfice status will seal Sentinel tricks, which is all the team needs.

Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Melfice (Grandia II): EDIT: Never mind, think they lose even if Melfice can be moved around. Melfice can force Aht to heal every turn while also tying up some of Stocke's actions, and once she falls this is over. Also bloody hell I think Aht may be more overhyped than Melfice at this point, and that takes effort.

Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna  (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II): EDIT: argh headache. vote stands for now

Jude Maverick and Kresnik Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Melfice has all sorts of headaches putting Kresnik away, but the boys have all sorts of headaches damaging him. Still, Kresnik's resources are very deep. A lucky silence could take him out, but even then there will be hasted Jude to deal with, and Jude is accurate. EDIT: Just remembered Kresnik has Lock-On, which tilts things in team WA4's direction a bit more decisively.

Crono and Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Melfice can OHKO Marle, barely. This helps a lot. Crono can stall the outcome of the match with Life, but not win it.

Ulrika Mulberry and Etward Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Abstain.

Tidus and Rikku (Final Fantasy X) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Al Behd Potions remove silence, Tidus overdrives go through the evade, Hasted ABP stops everything Melfice does otherwise. Not to mention Melfice is vulnerable to Slow, making this ugly.

Dorothy and Lion (The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow-Brick Road) vs Melfice (Grandia II): WoO teams are weird since their offence gets cut, presumably. This probably affects averages. I'll think about this.

Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Melfice (Grandia II): This is somewhat close but assuming silence isn't turn 1 against both of them they should be fine...

Fujin and Seifer Almasy (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Pretty sure.

Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Millenia does loads of damage on her own here. Now imagine what she does with Ryudo to help her out chipping in lots of free damage while SBE is in effect.

Dekar and Lexis (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Too lazy to figure out if Lexis can get a battle-tilting IP before the inevitable Melfice double. Default response is no.

Weigraf Folles and Beowulf Cadmus (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Beowulf's Drain really benefits from being against an unscaled HP boss, it should fully heal him easily. Still, Melfice can 2HKO him and has a 3-2. So he takes at most one Drain and three Lightning Stabs (possibly as few as zero if he can OHKO Wiegraf), which he survives.

Lyon and Miakis (Suikoden V) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Lyon's magic kills Melfice eventually. Any Melfice attack meets a wall of healing.. but he'll doubleturn eventually (7-6, looks like). Notably, this is shortly before Lyon can finish killing. So he can take out Lyon at that point. This leave Miakis fairly helpless, she can toss in a few physicals before dying though. Doubt it's enough, though it's close.

Razelux Mitzen and Liliane Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Raze is too evadable, Lilly just isn't very good.

Maya Schroedinger and Virginia Maxwell (Wild ARMs 3) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Funny. Maya vs. Melfice actually isn't a bad fight. Maya with a nearly-worthless ally against Melfice with 3.5x HP is much less good.

Pamela Ibis and Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Melfice (Grandia II): This match gives me all sorts of headaches. Immortal Body means Flay has to die first. Pamela has some non-self healing but it's very limited. She can slow Melfice, but it does wear off. How good her damage and healing is varies with her HP, she can lower her HP and Melfice won't want to kill her since killing her gives her back SP, this increases her damage and healing. Melfice has trouble killing off Flay due to Last Stand, but it should be manageable? And Pamela's kinda low on damage + Flay's is evadable. I sorta think Melfice will take this, but not confident enough to cast a vote.

Meru and Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Melfice may well be able to OHKO both of them? Eh, probably not Albert. Regardless, all sorts of spoiling.

Peppita Rosetti and Adray Lasbard (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Peppita is evadable, Adray is slow.
Vanille de Oerba and Clair 'Lightning' Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Thinking Vanilla can offset Melfice's actions (Lightning can help out if they're worried about doubleturns), so they can turtle this fight as long as needed, with periodic Ruins. And both having Esuna means silence is a waste of time.

Blanca and Lucia (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Gale on Blanca means no doubles, and she can give him MP regen so they can heal for a long time. Killing's a bit of a problem, though, as is SP. I dunno.

Vinsfeld HP is monstrous. 4HKO damage with 5% ID, let's see how far the HP makes it go!

To help me figure out his HP... all PCs start at 30 FP, gain 20 at the end of each round + 16 if they use a regular physical. There might be errors here, stuff is grabbed from the boss stat topic except the summons which are just taken from the "scaling Lucied" bit. These numbers might be a bit high.
Brad: Attack x2, Lock-on Railgun = 2083 average
Tim: L1, L2, Summon = 1550 average
Ashley: DeadorAlive x3 = 1500 average
Kanon: Attack, Wave Fist, Gat Arc Kick = 1453 average
Lilka: L1, L2, Summon = 1367 average
Overall average: 1591 (everynoe except Brad below!)

Hm, I've actually been overrating his HP a bit! Still, unscaled, it comes out to just over 6x.

Emma Hetfield and Mariel (Wild ARMs Alter Code F) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Mariel auto-loses, Vinsfeld with that HP is too much for Emma I think. Oh wait Dispel spoils Emma anyway, haha.

Varkas and Sydonia (Suikoden) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Bandit Attack is pretty darn good, actually. 2.5x the combined damage of the bandits, disables criticals, goes off of Sydonia's speed. Still, Vinsfeld isn't slow so there's not going to be a 5-4 (I think... it's close), and Vinsfeld at worst has a 4HKO. Even a fifth attack wouldn't kill Vinsfeld, anyway. Close though!

Tim Rhymeless and Luceid (Wild ARMs 2) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Thanatos X, infinite resources. Good game. Dispel and superior speed can stall Tim but that takes ages and Lucied gets to do damage in the meantime, and the only thing gained on a doubleturn is a single use of Incur My Wrath... yeah whatever.

Thomas and Cecile (Suikoden III) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Very similar situation to Varkas/Sydonia, except this time the unite is a bit weaker (maybe. Depends on its crit rate) and T/C aren't as fast, if a bit more durable.

Jin Uzuki and Gaignun Kukai Jr. (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): MEDICA HYPE well no, not really. Still, Vins needs 4 turns to win. Jin is slower, so on turn 3... yeah, that's not going to be nearly enough stocked damage.

Cyan Garamonde and Banon (Final Fantasy VI) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): The damage is too horrid here. Cyan needs something like 30 turns. Instant death gets him long before this.

Guido and Mullen (Grandia) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): No healing = forget about it.

Edward and Tellah (Final Fantasy IV) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): This team has healing, but... their MP is far too limited. Edward's doesn't even exist.

Chu-Chu and Maria Balthasar (Xenogears) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Again, they just lack the MP, and are badly outsped.

Doll and Cotton (SaGa Frontier) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Haha, Blood Chalice Cotton isn't 2HKOed. So yeah, heal forever! Cotton is super-slow on the turns he doesn't heal, but I think the healing being initiative should let him avoid getting doubled. Longest match ever. Doll speeds it up a bit but ultimately doesn't matter.

Noel Chandler and Chisato Madision (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Okay, yeah, death blocking and enough damage to manage, for all that limited MP still keeps this somewhat interesting.

Liz and Ard (Wild ARMs 2) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Quite unfair that one team gets unscaled HP and the other doesn't, if you ask me!

Alfred Shroedinger and Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): See previous.

Rufus Shinra and Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): And again. Palmer may well run out of MP even if Vinsfeld never attacked him.

Mario and Luigi (Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Hard to say, Bros. Attacks should be pretty good. But ultimately, this feels like the Suiko-unites all over again... just not enough to win the damage race.

Flonne and Gordon (Disgaea: Hour of Darkness) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Disgaea SP issues.

Mallow and Croco (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vinsfeld Rhadamanthus (Wild ARMs 2): Croco has decent damage for Light (I'm assuming this is his Light form, his Middle form wins in a stomp-fest) and Mallow can keep them both alive for quite a while. He'll get IDed eventually but not soon enough.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:42:11 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
Same as above.  Now, Cyan + Banon may very well win...except Banon isn't A) from what I remember, around to purchase ID blockers and B) can't change equipment anyway, from what I remember.  So...uh....yeah.

Assuming you use Lete River Banon...  no, there isn't storebought ID protection in FF6, there's only 1 (maaaaaybe 2) Safety Bits lying around, though I think you can steal more.  (And there's Memento Rings for Relm / Shadow.)  And Banon's gear is fixed anyway.

However.  It takes roughly 14 attempts before there's a 50% chance that Vinny's scrubby 5% Instant Death will have kicked in at least once.  Since it's an MT attack and presumably this is per-character checks, that's 7 rounds.  Banon has 80% PCHP but has MT ~.80 PCHP healz at that point in the game, so he's 3HKOed and will do a thwack-thwack-Health.  (He also goes to the front row since Incur My Wrath is apparently magical.)  At .30 PCHP damage a front-row thwack, that's ~1.5 PCHP damage by turn 7.  Cyan...  I'm pretty sure WA2 bosses were affected by Gravity attacks.  Forget if it was WA2 or WA3, but there was definitely a scene where Bad Guy dropped a big huge monster to "slow you down" with a bucketload of HP, but it was the same dungeon you got a gravity-attack based Medium, and that did a ton of damage to it.  Point is, *Slash* 50% gravity hype may be incoming, which is seriously awesome vs. an unscaled boss - probably hits the WA2 damage cap for awhile.  Let's assume Slash is a no go, though.  If you're semi-generous with charge times due to wonky FF6 ATB (time spent charging while others are doing things on the screen isn't really wasted, although the effect is most pronounced in a 4 person party), he'll probably just spam Quadra Slash; otherwise Dispatch.  Quadra Slash is .33 PCHP, Dispatch is .22 PCHP.  (Banon really likes his staff thwacks being semi-okay before the game hands out uber damage.)  Spamming 7 Dispatches is 1.54 PCHP, 6 Quadra Slashes is 1.98 PCHP.  So...  assuming 50% is the standard, that's 3.0 - 3.5 PCHP damage dealt before somebody dies.  Thing is, if Cyan ate the ID, Banon can keep the beatdown going, and if Banon died, Cyan will have some amount of life left and can either blitz or switch to Empowerer spam while betting that Vinny won't get lucky again.  I see unscaled Vinny as between 3.5 - 4.0 PCHP, and am usually inclined to tiebreak against status at the 50% mark (it's more like 22 attempts before Vinny hits a 66% chance of even one death), so yeah, standing by the vote, although if you see Vinny as having 5x PCHP and are sympathetic to 50% chance of status and give Vinny immunity to gravity, he can win.

Jessica De'Alkirk and Luna  (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) vs Melfice (Grandia II): Quite surprised this team is in this division...

The requirement was "a Middle and something else."  Presumably a Middle and a Light would be fine, so a Middle & a Low Middle also works, and I thought the team was amusing.  It also wasn't / isn't clear yet what the challenges will be - could well be Tourney of Randomness type events later along the lines of "cheer up the brooding mercenary with a Dark Past."

The fight isn't a slaughter, anyway.  If Luna can survive DHS + Sword physical, Cascade Song is pretty badass, especially once stacked.  It does require two interp calls to go the teams' way - for Luna to survive round 1, and for Cascade Song's defense buff to be enough to give the team time to actually do damage through the evade without running out of MP.  But eh, toss in some scrubby Regen and killing the Regenerator first, and I can buy it, though it is close.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:44:26 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
thwack, that's ~1.5 PCHP damage by turn 7.  Cyan...  I'm pretty sure WA2 bosses were affected by Gravity attacks.  Forget if it was WA2 or WA3, but there was definitely a scene where Bad Guy dropped a big huge monster to "slow you down" with a bucketload of HP, but it was the same dungeon you got a gravity-attack based Medium, and that did a ton of damage to it.

It was WA3. That said, most WA3 bosses are immune to gravity; that one is specifically vulnerable to show off your shiny new gravity medium (as are a few others, but vast majority are immune). No clue on WA2 bosses, though. In the absence of other evidence, though, FF6 Slash fails miserably at actually hitting things in-game since anything immune to death blocks it, and since Vinsfeld is immune to death... well.

re Jess/Luna vs. Melfice, I don't allow Melfice's parts so yeah, no OHKOing is happening (Luna's not Marle, SSSC PC durability spread is relatively small). Melfice has Quake which def-buffing won't help against, and silence (which Lunar can't block). If silence's duration is really crappy then the girls might have a shot but strongly kneejerking it goes against them... they won't get many free turns and they face that evasion.

Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Vinsfeld is about 10x durability to me, and I remember Incur My Wrath's instant death chance being significantly higher than 5% from my experience (assuming none of the Resist Death PS skills).  So...probably enough there.  Though ignoring charge-times for Cyan...helps a bit.  Vinsfeld counters, but I think it's just regular attacks?  Can't remember for sure. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 03:19:21 AM »
I could be wrong, as it's been a while, but memory is that Move/Magic Block are indefinite in Grandia II.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 03:26:51 AM »
Hm, I know they wear off in G3 and I -thought- they did in G2 but I don't know that for certain; I could easily be misremembering there. Too many annoying variables in that status. At least its duration doesn't matter in duels, usually...

Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:54 AM »
I could be wrong, as it's been a while, but memory is that Move/Magic Block are indefinite in Grandia II.

This fits my recollection as well.