Author Topic: Politics '12: Election year shenanigans.  (Read 16928 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Politics '12: Election year shenanigans.
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/rick-perry-drops-out-2012-_n_1214032.html

Brokeback Mountain drops out of the Republican race, endorses Gingrich.

Not a surprise, he placed a stake in the ground going after social-issues Christians when he made the Brokeback Mountain Voldemort ad...and then the social-issues Christians got together, decided they shouldn't split the vote, and made a statement of "Let's rally behind...Santorum".  Whoops.

What gets me here is the endorsement.  Endorsing Santorum would make sense; they have the closest political views and were going after the same section of the voterbase.  Endorsing Romney I could understand (vying for a vice president pick or something).  But...Gingrich?  Weird.  Not that I'm complaining.  I'm actually OK with Rick Perry supporters wasting their vote on a fourth-place candidate who doesn't actually act on any socially-nutty promises, and also happens to be a walking infidelity machine.  I find the irony delicious, in fact.  But it still seems an odd choice.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 02:07:11 AM »
best headline of the election season (courtesy of Huffington Post)

RICK ROLLED: Perry Drops Out of Race
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 03:26:01 AM »
In non-election news:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/01/microsoft-calls-for-gay-marriage-in-washington-state/251680/

Microsoft urges Washington state to legalize gay marriage, because they're having trouble attracting the best in the world to a state where gay marriage isn't legal.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 04:47:05 AM »
Nice.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/08/the-legislation-that-could-kill-internet-privacy-for-good/242853/

Oh yay, more bad internet legislation: requires ISPs to keep 18 months of record of everything you've done on the internet, and give this over to the government if requested.  (People don't even need to be under investigation).

WTF
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:10:13 PM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:40 AM »
Back to elections, Gingrich wins South Carolina in a landslide--I guess I shouldn't have mocked Rick Perry for the odd choice of endorsement:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/21/south-carolina-primary-results-live

And...it looks like Santorum won Iowa:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505103_162-57363390/iowa-gop-santorum-won-the-iowa-caucuses/

So...for number of states taken, it's now 1-1-1 for Santorum/Gingrich/Romney, and 0 for Ron Paul (not to mention South Carolina is Paul's lowest finish yet).

I'm...ok with the current state of things.  It's more interesting than "Romney wins the first three states, and everyone else drops out".

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 03:15:48 AM »
Can't say I agree there. I suppose a competitive primary offers some greater illusion of democracy or something inane like that, but in general I'm happier the further Gingrich and Santorum are from the White House. I mean sure I'd be happier if it was Romney vs. Paul and we had a clear dialogue on economic and foreign policy in the primaries due to this, but as long as I'm dreaming I think I'll just point out that I'd be happier still if Obama had stood up to the Republicans better, the Bush tax cuts had been repealed, America had stepped back from war, and the economy had rebounded.

Not sure why you find Perry's endorsement of Gingrich surprising. Santorum was possible, sure, but Perry probably felt that Gingrich was the more electable of the two... he could read the polls as well as the rest of us and knew who was going to win SC, for instance.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
Gingrich's surge was super-late, actually, within the last week.... but sure, even when Perry conceded, he was leading Santorum in the polls so would be a preferred "not-Romney" from a conservative perspective.

I agree that this is more interesting from a political perspective, and a Gingrich nom would (making numbers up here) have a 20% chance at best of winning the Presidency, but see Dark Holy Elf, keep these people as far from the big red button as possible.  I'd also add that saying "Santorum won" vs. "Romney won" Iowa is entirely illusory considering the tiny margin of victory; as Charles Seife has pointed out, that margin is less than the expected counting error of a super-careful hand recount.  And these weren't even the results of a super-careful hand recount with 3 people carefully examining each ballot.  And it's not like the caucuses are winner-take-all anyway.  It was and is a Romney-Santorum tie, and shame on the media for even reporting it as a Romney victory in the first place.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120120/14472117492/mpaa-directly-publicly-threatens-politicians-who-arent-corrupt-enough-to-stay-bought.shtml

I generally think that the people who expect the industries benefiting from legislation to not support it are silly, but this statement goes way over the line into corrupt.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
Interestingly, though he hasn't won any races, the competitiveness of the GOP race is very good for Ron Paul.  We have yet to get to the states where Paul's more popular, and Paul's got the ground game, the enthusiastic support, and the money to keep running as long as he pleases.  And he's one of only two GOP candidates with his name on the Virginia ballot (along with Romney - the other candidates are so badly organized that they couldn't amass the signatures to get on the ballot.  I still don't think Paul has a ghost's chance of winning, but don't be shocked if he takes a state or two, and forces the other candidates to react to his position.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
I'd like to see Ron Paul do well even if I find some of his policies crazy.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120120/14472117492/mpaa-directly-publicly-threatens-politicians-who-arent-corrupt-enough-to-stay-bought.shtml

I generally think that the people who expect the industries benefiting from legislation to not support it are silly, but this statement goes way over the line into corrupt.

Someone on Board 8 made a comment about the MPAA/RIAA recently, and I think it bears repeating:

At this point, we need to face the possibility that us hating them is in fact their goal.

Maybe.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
Can't say I agree there. I suppose a competitive primary offers some greater illusion of democracy or something inane like that, but in general I'm happier the further Gingrich and Santorum are from the White House.

Well...fair about Gingrich and Santorum.

But in general I feel more and more like the majority of democracy in the American system actually happens during the primaries rather than during the actual election.  And this is more true in senate and house races, where a lot of districts are all-but guaranteed to be won by a particular party.  But that's where we have seen the largest actual political change in America (the Tea Party got Tea Party candidates into the house and senate--and these people essentially act as a third party; it will be interesting to see this election round if there are Occupy candidates).

In general this isn't an issue with presidential races.  It's more that...if the race comes down to Romney and Obama, I'm still unclear about how they differ on...any of their policies.  I mean, ok, Romney pays lip service to repealing Obamacare (despite him implementing a similar institution in Massachusetts) and signed the NOM pledge promising to make a constitutional amendment against gays (even though he was pro-gay when running Massachusetts).  But in terms of how they'd actually run the country if they didn't have to worry about public opinion?  I think it's nearly identical.  And I think a presidential race would really reflect that, ignoring issues and coming down to things like personality and trustworthyness.  It'd be Bush vs Kerry 2.0.

So...supposing Romney ultimately wins, I'd still rather see a longer primary where he's forced to debate with people who don't agree with him (and a shorter election by extension).

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 03:44:25 AM »
But in terms of how they'd actually run the country if they didn't have to worry about public opinion?  I think it's nearly identical.

metroid, this can obviously go on at some length, and I'm not 100% sure on where your own views are (be it the "so far left both parties are indistinguishable" version or the "disinterested observer of politics because the same crap happens") but...  let's just say I've heard the "there's no difference between the two parties" (or, in your example, Romney / Obama) before.  That was the line that Ralph Nader's camp took in 2000.  And look where that got us.  I can think of few things that have done as much long-term harm to America's standing in the world as George W. Bush being the president in office when 9/11 happened.  (and, being a fan of America, yes I think this by extension damages democracy and freedom abroad.).  For that matter, I'd also fault that bad luck of Gore not being in office for not having long-since passed some form of carbon emissions control, be it a carbon tax or cap & trade or whatever.

You also seriously underestimate how much campaign rhetoric can influence the course of action of the presidency.  Changing your mind ever is proof that you're inconsistent, and you probably changed your mind because you were bought by the Washington lobby, or something, according to dumb voters who watch campaign ads.  Even if you were to believe that Romney & Obama were to govern the same if they had a free hand, the very fact that they will run on different platforms and appeal to different voters and promise different things will drastically change how they actually govern.  Assume for a moment that Romney thinks Obamacare is actually a great idea.  Do you think he's going to say "Surprise, I'm not repealing Obamacare, I'm expanding it" in January 2013?  No.  Maybe once upon a time politicians could get away with that, but nowadays, that would be political suicide.  Romney will dismantle Obamacare if put into office, make no mistake - the very fact that he's had to repudiate it to gain Republican support guarantees it.  (Which is not to say that there aren't issues where politicians absolutely have a 'platform' with a large wink & fingers crossed...  but...  not the ones where they've had to publicly swear to be on the 'right' side of some critical issue to the base.)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46160046/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/t/atheist-teen-forces-school-remove-prayer-wall-after-years/#.TybEslw7WAj

Prayer removed from school wall.

Girl who started the lawsuit about it receiving threats, three different local florists refused to deliver her flowers.

Location.....Rhode Island o_O

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »
Straight from the article:

New England is not the sort of place where battles over the division of church and state tend to crop up. It is the least religious region of the country, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. But Rhode Island is an exception: it is the nation’s most Catholic state, and dust-ups over religion are not infrequent.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/03/roseanne-is-running-for-president-not-a-joke/?hpt=hp_t2

A hardcore feminist lesbian is running for president.  Welp, as much as I hate to support the Green party ever, I strongly suspect she'll end up my favourite candidate.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
So...three more states have their results in: Colorado, Montana, and Minnesota.  Two of these border Canada, so I'd assume they'd get some sanity partially just for having access to Canadian news broadcasting.  Colorado...hmm...wasn't that where the Democrat National Convention was in 2008?  Yeah it was--Obama won the state too.   And...let's look at who won these states...

Santorum
Santorum
Santorum

Wat.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
Well uh only Republicans are voting in these primaries and it's not all that surprising to hear that the conservatives in those states are hardcore bible thumpers to be honest. It is not representative of the state's political affiliations as a whole. (I mean, come on, Sant won Minnesota with 21000 votes. In a state of 5.3 million.)
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
Colorado in particular is a state where the Republicans are really, really conservative.  Colorado Springs, anyone?  Much like Virginia, that's part of the problem Republicans have been having in those states; they are purple as a whole, but the Republicans have a strong hard-right contingent that can win primaries and nominate candidates better suited for Alabama than purple states, which hands some free wins to the Democrats.  The reason that Romney's loss there is surprising is that you'd think he'd do okay among the more libertarian-minded Western parts and stem the bleeding, but he didn't really, so the social conservative contingent took it while Romney's base was places like Republicans-in-Denver.

Minnesota is just weird and idiosyncratic.  Hard to predict how they'd go.  (It is the state that has elected Michele Bachmann, after all.)  Montana there's no urban areas and urban Republicans tend to be Romney's base.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
That reads like a desperate plea for the religious right vote.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Given how he's worried about ceding ground to Rick Santorum at this point, his actions are understandable.

I mean, understandable once you assume as a given that he'll pretty much change any stance he has for the sake of electability.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/2010-elections/oklahoma-state-senator-constance-johnson-tries-ban-masturbation

“However, any action in which a man ejaculates or otherwise deposits semen anywhere but in a woman’s vagina shall be interpreted and construed as an action against an unborn child.”

I like this lady.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »
Conversely, her husband probably doesn't.

BOOM!

EDIT: In any case, you missed the real hilarious part of this bit:

Democrat Jim Wilson tried to introduce a serious amendment stating that all men would be responsible for the full support and well-being of any woman carrying their child for the duration of the pregnancy, including housing, food, transportation and all medical costs. That amendment failed.

This is just hilarious, because if it wasn't hilarious it would be murderous rage inducing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:58:40 PM by Makkotah »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17005739 The Shining path isn't the threat they used to be, but this is still good.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...