Author Topic: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Week 60  (Read 2276 times)

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Week 60
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »

"Merry Christmas. I'm going to give someone a new chance, and another person a short break. Let's see how this pans out, shall we?!"

Link to the Dungeon Wiki!

----------------
Team Snowfire | Celes, Feena, Red XIII, Strago (Neo Speed), Ricardo
[Celes: Kirin , Siren, Shoat, Unicorn, Phantom, ZoneSeek, Tritoch, Phoenix, Raiden] [Feena: All Eggs]
Floor 7a: The Elemental Ties that Bind
Team Snowfire vs. Sasarai, Tengaar, Hellion and Scarmiglione-Z (FF4DS)
Team Snowfire vs. Barbariccia, S2 Luc, Tiamat (FF1) and Flik
Team Snowfire vs. Kary, Ho-oh and Rubicante
Team Snowfire vs. Suicune, Marle, Lenus, Umi (Cthulu) and Cagnazzo (FF4DS)
Team Snowfire vs. Yuri2, Alice, Id and Ashera

Team Sage | Demi, Toadstool, Edgar(Speed?) Robo, Brey
[Floor 2a: The Crumbling Ruin (Earlygame)]
Team Sage vs. Flay and Nikki
Team Sage vs. Jack(WA:ACF) and Rudy(WAo1)
Team Sage vs. Opera and Ernest
Team Sage vs. Killey (S2) and Lorelai (S5)
Team Sage vs. Locke, Karn, Edward and Vyse

Team Bardiche | Billy, Sasarai w/Resourceless, Sacred Slayer, Eiko, Monk, Nall
[Floor 1: Starting off Again (Beginning of the game)]
Team Bardiche vs. Hrist (VP1), Evil Gaia, Big Joe, Guido and Gorudo
Team Bardiche vs. Bronzog, FFT Knight and Kwanda Rossman (S1)
Team Bardiche vs. Blissey, Axem Green, Augst and Lucius
Team Bardiche vs. Mist Dragon, Whelk, Wingraptor (FF5) and Garland (FF1)
Team Bardiche vs. Laggy Fantasy Tactics Queklain

Team MICHAEL | Ramza, Feena, Rosa+Rydia(Body Charge), Ditto
[Ramza: Chemist | Feena: Fire Egg]
Team MICHAEL vs. Hrist (VP1), Evil Gaia, Big Joe, Guido and Gorudo
Team MICHAEL vs. Bronzog, FFT Knight and Kwanda Rossman (S1)
Team MICHAEL vs. Blissey, Axem Green, Augst and Lucius
Team MICHAEL vs. Mist Dragon, Whelk, Wingraptor (FF5) and Garland (FF1)
Team MICHAEL vs. Laggy Fantasy Tactics Queklain

Magic's team is out for a week or two, I may put OK's back in to try the other Floor 2 sometime as well as a bonus. We'll see.

Neo Speed - The effective speed of one character is increased by 25% and increases by 25% each time that character takes a turn, this effect caps at 200% base speed. The speed of this character cannot be increased in any way, nor can this character grant or be granted turns via any manner. If the character dies the speed is removed and cannot be regained.

Resourceless - One character's spells and abilities are now free but you may not use the same ability more than once a fight. This does not apply to moves that drain all resources.

Speed? - The effective speed of one character is set to 120% (1.2x) average speed and may not be increased in any way. The rest of the team's speed is set to 95% (.95) of its normal value and may be increased.

Body Charge - Increases the health, damage and effective speed of a character by 1.3x and decreases damage to them to .7x.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:02:54 PM by Nephrite »

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Week 60
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:05:59 PM »
I noticed my team has absolutely garbage damage at this point so I figured I'd throw a breakdown up.

Team MICHAEL | Ramza, Feena, Rosa+Rydia(Body Charge), Ditto
[Ramza: Chemist | Feena: Fire Egg]
Team MICHAEL vs. Hrist (VP1), Evil Gaia, Big Joe, Guido and Gorudo - Pretty sure I can win this with Chemist physicals.
Team MICHAEL vs. Bronzog, FFT Knight and Kwanda Rossman (S1) - This is annoying, but Feena has Fire damage. Rosa can Hold at worst.
Team MICHAEL vs. Blissey, Axem Green, Augst and Lucius - Augst drains some resources, but spamming Potion will get by.
Team MICHAEL vs. Mist Dragon, Whelk, Wingraptor (FF5) and Garland (FF1) - The only boss that has any real damage to speak of is Wingraptor's 25% CHP move. Kill him, blahblah.
Team MICHAEL vs. Laggy Fantasy Tactics Queklain - This could pose a problem if I had anyone die, but... I won't, so I can't imagine it'll be too much of an issue. Rydia's Chocobo is doing something in the realm of 200~ FF4 damage for Floor 1, Rosa has AIM!!!! and Cucu can't really kill anyone unless he gets some status off... which won't happen.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »
So, funny story.  I based my team's lategame partially around Strago being able to be my status whore for the late floors that have mobs of PCs.  There is one minor kink in that plan, however.  Specifically...  unlike, uh, FF7, FF8, FF10, and FF12 (enemies), FF6 has the lousy *single-target* version of Bad Breath, like FF9.  Despite having the Bio Blaster animation, Sour Mouth is in fact ST.  Oops!  Oh, well.  (Hence the boss heavier floor pick, where Strago can still contribute Big Guards, strategic status-one-enemy deals, etc.)  (Also, insert STONE hype for mass Confuse?! [no])

Strago, Red, & Feena are largely unchanged from post here: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,5907.msg137177.html#msg137177

Celes's repertoire:

Cure/Cure2/Cure3/Antdot/Regen/Remedy/Life/Life2/Life3 
Ice/Ice2/Ice3/Fire/Fire3/Bolt3/Bio
Imp/Sleep/Mute/Break/Muddle/Berserk/Doom/Vanish/Haste/Slow/Demi/Rasp/Osmose/Safe/Shell/Dispel/

Learned this floor: Quick

[Celes: Kirin , Siren, Shoat, Unicorn, Phantom, ZoneSeek, Tritoch, Phoenix, Raiden] [Feena: All Eggs]
Team Snowfire vs. Sasarai, Tengaar, Hellion and Scarmiglione-Z (FF4DS)
Tengaar probably throws up Canopy Defense here.  Feena blows it away with an MT spell that gets nulled.  [SIDE NOTE: Scarmiglione apparently has a 50% counter against offensive magic.  I'm not sure the counter would trigger when the offensive magic is nulled, though.  Even if you see the counter as happening, it might be possible to remove Canopy Defense with something that wouldn't qualify as an "offensive spell" to Scar?  He apparently doesn't counter healing, for example, so maybe heals / status / something might do the trick here anyway.]   Red beats down somewhere.  Strago...  depending on how much Yellow Scarf hype there is, he might go for Sour Mouth on Sasarai, or he could stick with Big Guard.  Ricardo does something.  Sas, assuming he's non statused...  probably wants to cast Earthquake, that'll resolve before Celes's turn.  (Land of Eternity & Silent Lake are slow.  Another Canopy Defense means that nobody is doing offense and I can get buffing.)  Anyway, Celes summons Raiden on her turn, and that wipes the Suikoden crew for whom Yellow Scarves don't stop ID.  Somebody heals away Earthquake's damage.  With no Canopy Defense, Alhealer+ might just OHKO Scar depending on how it works, and he's not a threat anyway without counters, which I won't trigger since I'll kill him with only healing.  Let Ricardo get a bunch of Stock.

Team Snowfire vs. Barbariccia, S2 Luc, Tiamat (FF1) and Flik
Barbariccia is apparently no longer actually really fast in FF4DS, and has the following line:
Vulnerable to Blind, Paralyze, Poison, Sap, Silence, and Slow
She gets off one turn (at best?) which doesn't accomplish a whole lot.  Let's grant her turn-1 speed respect but figure out who she could kill later and assume for now that she's not seen as fast.  Luc can throw in some MT wind damage as well (his Sleep is terribad in S2 apparently).  Red & Feena hit Flik (Feena possibly using MT), which may not be enough depending on Feena damage respect - if so, Ricardo blows stock to finish the job, then uses EternalTreasure for DEF/SDEF buffing.  Strago Sour Mouths Barbariccia.  If Celes as seen as > average speed, that's a win on the spot, either heal or do something cheaty.  Otherwise, Tiamat has 3HKO elemental MT damage, but it's ramming into buffs by now, and certainly won't off Celes.

So...  worst case scenario is probably this.  Grant Luc / Barb speed hype.  Killing Celes is impossible...  and someone other than Feena tends to lead to badness.  So sure, let's say Barb physical + Luc Shredding kills Feena.  Red...  probably gets a Limit and a free turn somewhere, but let's ignore that.  He Life2s Feena.  Strago Sour Mouths Barb.  Ricardo EternalTreasures (and possibly even blows Stock for an Arc Cure if necessary?).  This...  basically buys Flik a turn.  Except now that the buff is in play, he can't kill full-HP and buffed Feena, and he definitely can't kill the Lightning-immune Celes.  So he can zap one of Strago / Ricardo / Red, maybe, if Ricardo didn't Arc Cure as well and the right S2 damage average is used.  Let's say Red to deny revival.  Tiamat can get a turn, but it won't kill anyone even ignoring the buff.  Celes Raidens out Flik & Luc.  gg, Tiamat & statused Barb can't take this vs. plenty of revivers and Celes.

Team Snowfire vs. Kary, Ho-oh and Rubicante
This is an interesting fight.  DS Rubicante's Inferno is apparently an insane MT OHKO according to the topic, and Sunny Day boosts it further.  (I talked with Meeple....  apparently Rosa & Rydia take half the damage listed, and Cecil without resistance takes the listed number straight (but will have strong Fire Resistance in-game), but Edge explodes.  Edge must explode with ridiculously over the top numbers  to drive the average that high, so I'm a little suspicious, but I doubt it matters with Sunny Day anyway.)  So, the winning plan is in killing or disabling Kary - the only source of good physicals - letting everyone die to Rubicante's Inferno, then having Celes solo Rubicante.  Once just Ho-oh is left, revive everyone so that the next fight is winnable.  (Ho-oh can't really do anything to Celes either.)

FF4DS Rubicante is below average speed, Kary is average speed, Ho-oh is fastish but largely ST.  Ho-oh wants to Sunny Day, I think.  It hoses Strago's Water magic and makes Rubicante's Inferno even more freakishly damaging to deter me from a stalling strategy, while his ST damage isn't overly scary.  (If he Safeguards he just gets ignored, he can't really damage Celes if Kary falls anyway.)  So...  Kary beatdown time.  There are two ways to win here:

- Plan A: Just kill Kary - easier if you see Celes as faster than average or have low FF1 boss respect.  (NEB's latest topic only sticks Kary HP at 0.70 PCHP.)  End of the World (non-elemental) + Red physical + GrandTrain + 2x Gale Blast (Ricardo's wind damage spell, it's not THAT bad a damage drop) + ? Celes's resisted Ice3 ?...  even if you disrespect the damage, 5-6 attacks add up.  You probably need to respect Kary as reasonably tanky to survive this.

- Plan B: Kary only resists "Mind" based status by 30%.  To quote the topic:

Mind: Sort of a catch-all that includes any status effects which could be considered Mental. Sleep, Stun, Confuse, Silence, Slow, Darkness, and Fear all fall under this category.

So Feena Snoozes, Strago Sour Mouths Kary, and if Celes is seen as faster than average, she can throws in her status attempt as well.  That should add up to a solid 70-90% of a status landing.

After that, as noted, Rubicante wipes out non-Celes characters.  Celes Imps Ho-oh if necessary, and that never wears off.  (Ho-oh was probably statused round 1 if less damage than all 5 character's turns were needed to kill Kary, or in the status blitz option if the status landed on Kary from Feena or Strago's attempts.)  Rubicante is left with a bad physical to threaten the evasive Celes with, and he has to spend a turn to unlock it with Close Cape.  Celes kills the statused Kary if "Plan B" was used, then kills slowish Rubicante with buffs and healing.  FF4DS bosses have MP you can Osmose from and even drain them entirely of, apparently, so she isn't resource threatened - in fact she might even take away his ability to Inferno with Rasp, but whatever, doesn't matter so long as Ho-oh is statused.  Celes Lifes the team, Ricardo plays MP-regen is needed, builds Stock if needed on a Ho-Oh who gets healed.

Team Snowfire vs. Suicune, Marle, Lenus, Umi (Cthulu) and Cagnazzo (FF4DS)
Cag & Marle are slow.  Lenus, bizarrely enough, is also slow...  well, she starts slow, and gets super-speed at 60% HP for Lenus1.  Lenus1's good moves are also locked until 60% HP.  She probably wants her sucky in-game Lenus2 form, which can at least spam .35 PCHP damage MT from the start.

That leaves Suicune and Umi for fastish.  Celes getting a turn is, as usual, deadly.  Umi can Seal Strike....  but...  that risks somebody status-healing Celes.  Stun Strike is 60% chance, if it hits, which it very well may not since Celes has good block / dodge.  So she plays it safe and goes for Siren's Call to trade turns and drive Celes insane.  Suicune...  well, damage doesn't do a lot here, so let's say Rainy Day to drive Lenus's MT 3HKO up to barely-a-2HKO?  Otherwise, this team lets me play my game.  Feena & Red kill Marle (throw in Ricardo if you have insane Marle tank respect I guess), Strago can either Big Guard or Sour Mouth Umi, Ricardo buffs the team and can blow Stock to do something else, etc.  Lenus & Cag can't kill anybody post-Ricardo buff - Cag has an ST 2HKO, Lenus has a Water-elemental MT 2HKO post-Rainy Day, and that won't work against my buff.  Feena can use Alhealer + or even Tree of Life if necessary; otherwise, if Umi has been statused, the team has nothing to stop Celes from getting turns.  Suicune can be statused or killed with Zap Whips or whatever, Cag is worthless, Lenus is saved for last and answered by spamming MT cures.  Ricardo rebuilds Stock and plays the MP-regen song.

Team Snowfire vs. Yuri2, Alice, Id and Ashera

I haven't played FE10 yet (although I will soon!) so I'm fuzzy on Ashera.  I'm going to assume an average speed Ashera here.

Id beats the snot out of somebody - either Feena or Celes, probably.  Id is also frail, so 2/3 of Feena/Red/Ricardo knock him out before he gets a second turn.  I'll reserve the third action taken aside from killing Id and note that my team has a free action available.  Strago Sour Mouths Yuri2 - SH2 can't block Imp.  Ashera does something.  However, only whoever Id attacked has taken damage yet, and Ashera doesn't have a OHKO nor really MT, so she at best kills the person who took damage.  Celes, if still alive, is definitely faster than Alice, so Quicks then either has two shots at Imp status on Alice, or just double-Rasps all her MP leaving her with book beatdown.  After the statused SH characters are dispensed, it's then my team vs. Ashera.  I believe I win that with massive healing + revives.

Okay, so thinking on it...  if Celes is faster than Ashera ( =average?), then it doesn't matter who Id hits.  I get to status both Yuri & Alice.  If Celes is slower...  Id definitely wants to attack Celes.  So Id beatdown + Ashera damage might take Celes out before she gets a turn.  Right.  So let's say Id hits Celes, and take the interp where Celes is slower than Ashera.  There are several ways to win out regardless.

If Id is seen as sufficiently frail (stat topic claims 0.67 PCHP, I believe, takes extra damage from physicals, but has 25% evade vs. physicals), then Red + Ricardo take him down single-handedly.  According to the FF7 stat topic, full-MP endgame Red XIII deals .51 PCHP damage.  (And he'll have full MP thanks to Ricardo stalling in the fight before.)  So long as Red's attack hits, Ricardo only needs to spend one magic spell to finish Id off.  He can spend the other spell Galing Celes so that she hustles out Ashera on the tiebreak.  Additionally, Feena still has a turn.  She can either open with Snooze and see what happens - it's 50% Sleep or so MT, maybe sleep both SH characters and make it easy, maybe sleep 1 and free up Strago to status the other rendering Celes speed moot - or she can just fullheal Celes so that she survives an Ashera turn.  She can also smash Id with magic as an insurance policy in case Red XIII's attack misses.  Of course, she has to pick just one action, but they all help my chances in a game of rocket tag with percentages attached.

Also, even if disaster strikes and Id evades an attack, Celes is seen as below average speed, Ricardo can't spare a turn to Gale Celes, etc., this means that one of Id / Alice / Yuri gets a turn.  That's bad, but with Ashera being mostly ST, it may not be "lose the fight" bad considering the sheer amount of buffs / healing / revival.  For example, if Id hits Celes, Feena fullheals Celes, but Red screws up and misses Id....  Ricardo doesn't even bother trying to damage Id, Gales Celes, and Celes still gets Quick'd turns to both status Alice & drop pain on Id.  Id will survive and unleash more fast pain, but with Tree of Life and lots of revival I can still finish off Id round 2 then rebuild my position.

Once Ashera's left, think it's easy.  Apparently the Reflections reflect some damage when dealt non-lethal damage.  There aren't any MT attacks in game, so it's not clear if MT spells get reflected or not, but let's say they do - I still have a pile of buffs & revival, so MT spell->character dies->MT-> Ashera reflections die -> revive my dead mage should do the trick.

It's rocket tag, but a game of which that's in my favor I believe.

(EDIT: Had a few names transposed above, other minor fixes.  Nothing like theorizing about RPG characters at 2:30 AM.)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:53:44 PM by SnowFire »

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm only specifying the DS forms for Cagnazzo and Scarmiglione, so if you want to use the FF4o forms or whatever you can. I doubt it changes much.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
The funnier part about that, though, Snowfire, is that Strago gets MT ITD 2HKO damage, which helps you oh so much in this floor -anyway-.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
I am unfortunately compelled to note that according to the GameFAQs Lores guide, GrandTrain does not ignore split damage, and Meeple was probably using the ST version of it in his damage average.  So it's more like an MT ITD barely-a-3HKO, assuming the above is correct.  CleanSweep does ignore split damage and I suspect is better for Strago's default MT choice, though it's not as hypable in the "Fire" fight since Ho-oh's Sunny Day hoses Water elemental attacks.  I would be happy to be proven wrong!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
I don't think Sunny Day -hoses- water attacks per se, but it -does- boost fire attacks.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
Sunny Day: Fire damage is raised by 50%, Water damage is halved, the attack "Solar Beam" can be used instantly (it normally has a 1 turn charge time)

So yeah.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
ooooooooouch does it affect Ice as well (not that it matters, Strago has no Ice)?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »
Water and Ice are separate elements in Pokemon so I don't think so.  (They're separate in FF6 and Grandia as well).

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:06:22 AM »
Pretty sure ice is unaffected yeah

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:17 AM »
It is, yes.

Also almost all FF6 attacks are subject to split damage, I would generally assume they are unless the stat topic notes otherwise as a general thing, since it sounds like that mistake has been made twice recently.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
I'm stupid okay. =(

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:03 AM »
Apparently my Wall o' Text has scared everybody away.  In easier-to-vote-on-teams...

Bardiche passes.  4 healers on Floor 1?  Yeah that kind of owns F1 badly.

Team MICHAEL...   okay, he probably passes too, but one question first.  Ditto is pretty bad on durability, right?  He might get "blitzed" by the Lucius / Blissey fight, which would leave MICHAEL down to 4 characters for Queklain...  and Queklain counters magic with more magic.  Normally this might be deadly since child Rydia durability is nonexistent, so summoning Chocobo would just get her killed on the counter...  except...  the counter apparently runs off Quek's MA, not reflected BC Rydia's Magic, and BC buffs durability as well.  Did Rosa start with Esuna, though?  Quek's plan is probably something like Chicken Race Rosa -> Chicken Race Feena -> Chicken Race Ramza, but if Rosa doesn't have something to cure Paralysis, Quek might be able to start with Rydia.  1x PCHP...  well, if Feena is average damage or so with her physical specials, it gets chancier since Feena needs to be faster to get two actions in.  Otherwise 1 Feena physical tech + 2 BC'd Rosa Arrows + 3 Chemist knife thwacks might not be enough.  It's definitely easier if Rosa has Esuna, because then Quek eats BC'd Chocobo + 2x Feena turns which is surely fatal.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 06:06:45 AM »
Ditto is pretty fast because of speed powder. He should be able to act pretty early in the round and transform into one of the characters with good Mdef. His hp will still be a bit low, but the he can turn into Lucius or someone and rely on their high resistance and evasion.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 07:24:30 AM »
Ditto would be faster than pretty much everyone and would prooobably just transform into Lucius to grab healing.

To answer the other question, Rosa starts with Cure, Hold, SCAN!!!, Slow, SIGHT!!!!!!! and Exit.

EDIT: oh and for what it's worth Chemist ought to have Phoenix Down here too, if that helps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:27:39 AM by Nephrite »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Snowfire's write-up was such a fun read. My Celes respect is high and my FF4 boss respect is low, so he didn't -need- to write all of that, but it was a fun read.
Snowfire passes.

Bardiche and MICHAEL pass.

Sage's Edgar gets Noiseblaster... against a bunch of PCs... I don't recall many of them blocking confuse, so kneejerk pass.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:44:31 AM »
Well, since I submitted a team, I had might as well get involved with voting as well.
I'd say all teams pass.

What Snowfire wrote up sounds legit. The last fight looks a little hairy, and Ashera hurts, but I'd say he pulls through.

Even if a few people can block Confuse on Team Sage's floor, Noise Blaster can certainly do enough damage to let him pull through. FF6 Confuse is just silly.

Sasarai destroys most of Floor 1 for Bardiche. Other people are insurance. Queklain fight is manageable.

Team MICHAEL gets by, too. Rosa w/ Body Charge should actually be doing decent damage with Aim. I seem to recall her doing not-fail damage with it, and Body Charge oughta help.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:05 AM »
Team Snowfire vs. Sasarai, Tengaar, Hellion and Scarmiglione-Z (FF4DS)- Yep, nothing enemies can do to disable Celes prior to Raiden.
Team Snowfire vs. Barbariccia, S2 Luc, Tiamat (FF1) and Flik- Hmm, well...

Luc (120% Speed): 60% Wind MT
Flik S1 (115% Speed): 10% Thunder MT or 75% ST
Barbiriccia (Unknown but fast turn 1 speed since the "Slow speed" issues would only come up later turns): 60% ST
Strago (110%ish Speed)
Red (109% Speed)
Feena (107%ish Speed Numerically, many variances on whether may actually be faster or slower)
Ricardo (105%ish Speed)
Celes (Average)
Tiamat (Average)

Flik and Luc should at least outpace Strago, and then it feels like Barbi will probably be faster than Feena (or at least Feena's good stuff). Finishing off Strago and Feena before anyone even goes would be bad. Celes and Red can revive, but this doesn't seem like it really fixes the issue. Although...Summons were just OPB? In that case, Raiden summon again. This would clear out the dangerous MT and the fastest ST. Red would be able to revive someone and the enemies would only have ST left unless Barby wants to use a want to change forms. Dangerous fight, but Celes is hard to kill.

Team Snowfire vs. Kary, Ho-oh and Rubicante- Okay yeah, Kary is average speed and the team has plenty of ways to get around her defense (Red Phys+EotW+Ricardo should do it). Dead prior to acting...but Pressure does actually mean no EotW since MP costs are doubled. I'm assuming this applies this way in Pokemon. So Red's physical+Gale Blast+Strago should do it at least. That's out there, but yeah, does generally pain everyone else is getting wiped. Celes first Ho-oh and Rubi...well, Celes can...Raiden Ho'oh. This works since even if Inferno isn't as good as advised, it would need to be notably worse to matter except to Ricardo. Still, 1 Swift and 1 Ruby physical isn't killing Celes, and she can slowly outdo Ruby.

Team Snowfire vs. Suicune, Marle, Lenus, Umi (Cthulu) and Cagnazzo (FF4DS)- MT isn't the way to go here, although it's safe until Lenus hits the evil point. I sense...I sense RAIDEN. Yes. This means that Umi needs to get the Speed and opt for 100% OPB 1 Turn stun on Celes. The team needs to at least disable Marle and Umi at the same time due to revival, but this isn't really a problem. EotW (safe bet)+Red+Ricardo+Strago will certainly manage it some manner given the fail durability running around. That said, wherever I said Red had ITD a few floors ago, that's...actually not right? Ultimates check defense and the special bonus. Helps here. So Suicune, Lenus and Cag are mildly managed (And everyone is equipping Silence Blockers). Now they status out Suicune, and go to work on the other two.

Team Snowfire vs. Yuri2, Alice, Id and Ashera- Id can manage to off Strago at least. Everyone else likes through it. Overall though, this team is much less scary than the preceeding people to me, although don't know Ashera that well.

Team Sage | Demi, Toadstool, Edgar(Speed?) Robo, Brey
[Floor 2a: The Crumbling Ruin (Earlygame)]
Team Sage vs. Flay and Nikki- Well, okay. These two do get Confuse. The team should get through, but is there any revival beyond Demi's one shot? Just a note because Demi starts ST, Toadstool is...really, really bad first few floors, Edgar is ST and the other two I'm less sure on, but worry about Flay getting a turn. Flay gets a Raiden Charged Turn, Demi does die. Nikki gets two turns and Edgar dies. I think the floor depends on this, so analysis:

Nikki: 112% Pdur (above 50%), 150% Pdur below, 103% Mdur (above 50%), 135% Below, Crazy Turn 1 Speed
Flay: 138% Pdur (above 50%), 184% Pdur below, 111% Mdur (above 50%), 144% Below, Bad Turn 1 Speed (Beats Robo at least for all that Raiden Charging renders that irrelevant)

Demi: Averagish? Suspectible to Blocking
Edgar: 35%? Should be suspetible to Blocking
Toadstool: 15% Damage. Suspectible to Blocking.
Robo: 50? Noted as best ST damage. Actually, this may be magic and that would be great.
Brey: 35% MT Damage? Never any idea early here.

Okay, if this is about right for Robo, they can at least off someone. They'll do about 140 with one Blocking in play (Looks like assuming Demi->Brey->Toadstool->Robo with Edgar assumed Blocked, they would barely kill Flay. But if Demi is blocked, they won't). This goes so heavily into chance.

50% Nikki can ID Demi or Edgar immediately.
20% Nikki Quicks and gets another shot at killing Demi before she acts (That turn 1 Quick off her base speed is crazy. Good thing it's not actually 50%!).
30% chance that Flay Guts
Unknown chance of Last Stand increasing evasion, which is pretty inclusive in MK.

Work off the first:
Demi is dead. I think the rest of the team can just combine to kill Nikki, since Flay will now Screwdriver two people and they killed Flay, Nikki would kill Edgar her next turn. But...hmm, they may not that get Flay, and it would come down two Screwdriver's wouldn't get Edgar, so restratagize.

If no there, could Flay get in Raiden Charge and 2 Screwdrivers and get a guaranteed kill? Assuming turn 1 is at 83% Speed, Raiden Charges resolves at 1.2 average turns, Screwdriver 1 at 1.7 and Screwdriver 2 at 2.7. So Edgar would get another 2 attacks, Toadstool 1, Brey 1, and Robo...0 (Starts at about 70% speed, right? Turn 2 resolves on 3 with Speed?), although Brey or Toadstool may die if hit. Calling about 0.6 PC HP damage, which should get Brey at endgame given his defnse. Toadstool starts with that much HP and bad defense. She's a sure die. That said, rechecked game, noting Screwdriver as AoE in the topic is misleading! It's...barely that. Ugh, so on average team should get through with Edgar alive. If so, not a whole lot of threats, I think. Flay will probably choose to off Brey, which if so, he'll also get to off Toadstool (Can't kill him in time). Then Edgar and Robo could finish him off.

Team Sage vs. Jack(WA:ACF) and Rudy(WAo1)- Well, Jack can hit Demi at least to knock her back out, and Rudy blocks Confusion. Edgar, Robo at worst. Edgar Confuses Jack, Robo uses some ST on Rudy. Unless Jack hits Rudy, he should get two turns (And Jack has a 50/50 between Rudy and himself, right?)...although Jack uses his physical, so never mind there. Rudy should be good for two turns. Two Arch Smashes will hurt. The good is that Rudy can't 2HKO average with that so that isnt' fatal. Might be bad if Rudy 3-2ed Robo, but luckily that's not the case.

Team Sage vs. Opera and Ernest-
Team Sage vs. Killey (S2) and Lorelai (S5)-
Team Sage vs. Locke, Karn, Edward and Vyse- They get past the first two and everyone else is easy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:19:33 PM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 06:07:25 AM »
Dhyer, where did the water fight go? (Probably doesn't matter, just sayin)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 03:31:17 AM »
Belated: Sure, Team MICHAEL passes.  Seems like Rosa doesn't have status curing, but if Ditto can survive to fight 5, it doesn't matter.

A few nitpicks with Dhyer's post, but mostly the usual interp variances.  One thing though:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Power_points#In_the_games
The ability Pressure will cause all moves that target the Pokémon with this ability to use two PP per use instead of one, causing them to deplete faster. A move which has only 1 PP remaining will execute as normal in these situations. Moves that do not target the Pokémon with Pressure, such as Status moves which target the user, deplete as normal.

So there's fair arguments that Pressure could either mean "+1 MP costs" or "doubles MP costs" or "some hack in the middle" and no way to say which is 'right', but even in a straight up double costs case, it won't actually stop a move.  (And only matters for MT moves targeting Ho-oh.)  Pressure will just attempt to zap equivalent MP to the cost after the spell is cast, or something, and see that not enough is  there, then set that MP to 0 if it wasn't there already.  (So Feena can still use End of the World if she wants good non-elemental damage against Kary.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
I'd just have to say that making Pressure "+1 MP costs" instead of "doubled" is a pretty big misrepresentation of what it does and a bit of a scaling no-no to me. "1 MP" means different things in different systems (huge deal to Suikoden, but not one at all to later Final Fantasies, etc.). I could see disrespecting Pressure -entirely- in that you can easily argue PP =/= MP (and in fact I would, and the only reason I see Pressure doing anything is I take it to double resource costs in general which is an arbitrary extension).

Though yes, the point that the extra zap doesn't prevent the initial casting is very important and should be preserved no matter what.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:44 AM »
Abstain on Sage, Snowfire falls because with Id taking out Strago immediately, I don't think he can stop Yuri/Ashera from going back to back and blowing up the team with MT damage. Floor 1 teams pass.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
Abstain Bard, pass Neph and Sage, tenative abstain (leaning fail) for Snowfire.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:10:18 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
Edited in full passes on Snowfire and Sage (although that one gets especially dicey).
...into the nightfall.