Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234871 times)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1700 on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
As someone with a 493 dex copy of Pearl who fully intends on getting a 649 dex Black 2 when it's out, online trading has made the whole collection process a million times more practical than it used to be. No longer do you need to buy 2-5 games and deal with all the pain in the ass stuff like Feebas/Milotic, you can just buy 1 cart, breed eggs for something rare and use GTS+message boards to slowly fill out all the empty gaps.

The event Pokemon are the only annoying ones, if you don't have the right stores nearby you'll likely have to trade for clones online, and from gen 4 onwards 99% of clones are created with cheating devices. I can live with this because there was no reliable way for me to get a 100% legit Celebi otherwise, ditto Keldeo/Meloetta/Genesect nowadays.

If you know a way to get those clones, let me know. Because I don't have the means or resources to do that myself! Please and thank you~
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:42 AM »
SH3 duo sounds amazing.

From my faceroll autobattle spam play through I can say if you sink some time into the side stuff you can get through almost everything spamming HP up and Str/Mag boosters (barring a couple of useful resistance bits on key fights, like Lightning resist for Odin I think or something).  Still 5 star most fights and the ones that you don't will help you realise that the only reason you were bothering to get the 5 star rating was GOOD JOB SON YOU GET A GOLD STAR feedback as it has no actual impact whatsoever outside of a single trophy for the final boss.

I actually sometimes have some trouble getting 5 rank stars. I got a 0 star rank recently

The FF13 ranking system is weird because, unlike Devil May Cry or something, you pretty much can't die if you ignore it. IF you just want to finish the game, it is Progress Quest; use one medic and you'll be able to beat every battle doing nothing (except event eidolon battles + that gatling motorcycle random) Ranking seriously doesn't even seem to matter in any way, yeah.

This is not good design at all, but it can be ignored very easily.
FF13's saying to me "Care about ranking, and skip every cutscene, and you'll have fun" just like Dragon Quest 8 said "I'm dead easy and my PCs take forever to progress. Go solo and you'll have fun though" and Pokemon "I was lying earlier. Don't catch them all. It would be terribly dull" (Scar you scare me)

If I easily find a way to make a game more enjoyable (even as far from the lead developer's VISION as possible), I'm going to consider it when judging the game. This applies to any media actually, and the best works obviously never need it. (Speaking of which, the Wire is worth the hype, and it's going to get harder and harder to watch a 4:3 TV series. Could be worth checking out now)

Diablo 3: Level 55 Witch Doctor; Still vomiting acid on people.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 17, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
I'd say there are quite a few RPGs which are easier than FF13 even if you ignore the rankings. Maybe even more than a few. (I have just been watching Grandia 2 and FF8 recently so maybe I am biased.) I think there are more battles than you think which I suspect would overwhelm a "always COM/MED/something" strategy although not if you also grind, of course (hi Grefter). Almost all are in Chapter 11-13 and I don't know how far you are, though.

I also don't think the game would have been helped by making rankings super-meaningful. (They matter for drop rates, that's about it.) All that would accomplish is make weak players of the game suffer even more while good players cruise. VP2 kinda did this (if you're doing better, you'll break more parts of enemies, causing you to get more skills... and do even better) and I think it was a bit of a misfire there.

That said if I agree with you that if I see a way to play a game that is fun and a way that isn't I am of course going to opt for fun. The "best" or easiest way to play Pokemon is to use a team of 1-2 and dominate with your overlevelled 'mons but that misses the whole point of the gameplay and is lame.

Theatrhymth - Unlocked all chibis except Kain. Which means I'm done with unlocking! Time for challenge mode.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »
VP2 made it super frustrating to play because of that. The less good you are at the game (or the less you give a damn about it) the more you suffer. Not an experience I want to replicate.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 17, 2012, 06:54:16 AM »
The answer to meaningless systems isn't necessarily to give them meaning, it could just be to gut the system and leave (that is drop rankings, what change is there overall?).

Also goddammit Fen, you made me bash on FF13 by accident when I had sworn to stop talking about it (hi elf).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 17, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »
Well, games only have whatever meaning you give them anyway. Certainly I'll take "caring about rankings" over "getting all achievements" as far as completely pointless milestones go, since one actually measures how good I am at a game.

Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 17, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
Well, games only have whatever meaning you give them anyway. Certainly I'll take "caring about rankings" over "getting all achievements" as far as completely pointless milestones go, since one actually measures how good I am at a game.

To be fair, some Trophy/Achievement lists actually do that too. ::Looks at Wipeout HD::

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »
So, I decided to replay Phantasy Star 4--haven't played it in years, so I figured why not?

In general, the game's aged surprisingly well, largely due to a number of things I feel it does right--both from a game design perspective and a writing perspective.  Still a 9/10 game to me, which puts it up there with WA4.  However, I'll spare the gushing, and instead look over how this playthrough went, complete with character/dungeon/boss analysis.

-Chaz largely lagged behind for a large portion of the game.  Poor guy missed out on sandworm EXP, which hurt, and money issues led to me skimping on armor at points.  Add that to the fact that Airslash is his only MT aside from Zan(which...sucks massively outside of combos), and he's actually pretty terrible for dungeons, with his TP pool relegated to out-of-battle healing prior to acquiring Githu.  Awesome as hell for bosses, though most everything not named Crosscut tends not to get time of day (High power, buffable, Skill, and high charges?  Ow), with Dark Force 1 being a notable exception (Githu outdamaged it by about 40-50 or so).  Lagged a good bit after Lashiec until the final, where Elsydeon and Pow-Shield itemcast leads to 500+ damage Crosscuts.  Damn.

-Alys was, as you could expect, a Jeigan.  Largely helped the party Not Die during the earlygame, and then kind of fell off.  Didn't even get much use out of Death, given that she learned it right before Juza.  Her offense fell off in terms of effectiveness rather quickly as well, which made her major contributions during bossfights amount to Shift, Saner, and Vortex use (post-Shift).  Much more someone for clearing randoms than fighting bosses, though she showcases PS4 buffs quite well, and Rika picks up where she left off with Saner.  Shift...less so until a good deal later.  Leaves the party before she becomes too much of a drag, really, which is probably for the best.

-Hahn was the anti-Alys.  Where Alys got worse over time, Hahn got a LOT better over that same time--and left before you could really wreck things with him.  Was at his worst during the Bio-Plant, but destroyed most everything else.  Consistent damage-dealer for most bosses, and was MVP against the sandworm.  Randoms got Vol'd.  Unless they were robots.  Hahn does not like robots.  Hahn really does not like robots.

-Gryz was...better than I gave him credit for, at least.  Brose was an unreliable option, but an option nonetheless, against groups of robots.  Crash, on the other hand, turned out to be reliable ID.  I'm still not a fan of his setup, but it is functional, at least.  Overall, however, he felt quite lackluster throughout.  Didn't really stand out at any point.

-Rika...uh...hell.  Aside from her low level being compensated for with good starting gear, she was easily MVP for the second half of the game.  Sandworm kill got her literally seven levels.  She filled her usual heal/support niche prior to Myst Vale.  After getting the Silver Tusk, however, she became primary boss-slayer up until the final, just about; Every single boss from Zio onwards, with the exception of the Rainbow Rebellion Revolutionaries, is weak to Holy.  Shift+Silver Tusk+Doubleslash spam gave her damage output similar to or better than Chaz up until Rykros--and it keeps her relevant in the final battle as well (400+ damage Doubleslashes?  Yes please)

-The short segment of the game Demi was with you for was particularly suited to her abilities--two dungeons of robots, and two bossfights.  Medic Power's a good panic button on top of that, and she gets good durability with her gear upgrades.  She's...okayish for Ladea (Stasisbeam being what it is), but overall largely there for showing off androids before you get Wren.  Pity, I'd have liked to see her diverge from Wren a little more at the end, too.  By endgame, Phonomezer has a decent number of shots, but that's her only anti-boss offensive option--the rest is defensive on her part.

-Wren specializes in...well, being impossible to kill.  No, really.  He's immune to ID that isn't Spark, has far more HP than anyone else in the game, and has no fewer than twenty shots of full self-healing.  When he's NOT regenerating what damage he takes out of combat, at that.  His offense is...well, it's consistent.  A bit anemic when it comes to the higher values, but consistently decent--Flare's a go-to for bosses and works for the entire game, but Burst Rocket doesn't get much higher and Positron Bolt only gets one shot, usually.  He's definitely good against robots, though--Spark and Hyper Jammer are effective weapons there.  Overall, he's more notable for not dying most of the time, though; even on my first playthrough, he was almost always the last to go.

-Raja is given a lot of crap in duels given his poor speed and lack of offense--which in-game, yeah.  You're not looking to him to have anything resembling relevant offense barring one fight: Dark Force 1, where St. Fire is your first taste of 300+ damage unless you grind up to get Rayblade.  But he's a support god in theory.  In practice...he largely just amounts to a pool of easy healing so you can save TP on Rika for bossfight emergencies.  Don't get me wrong, Blessing is fairly awesome support, as is Ataraxia, but he's not in enough fights that make that support count.  Holyword only really applies on Piercers (and Zombies if you head to Reshel), so his skillset is...very, very wasted for the time you have him.

-Kyra, on the other hand, translates a lot better to the DL than her in-game performance would state.  Having a second Hewn user is nice and all, but what she has doesn't translate too well to in-game; Telele and Bindwa are useless on bosses, and you have her for three.  She's behind on damage despite having free MT from Slashers, and her Technique progression frankly sucks; by the time you get her, she's got Gifoi and Gra.  Rune's basically been a step ahead of her as far as both Techniques and Skills go.  She generally falters on offense, and especially against bosses, but has a few uses.  First being using her as a between-battle heal-battery; between Res spells, her TP pool, and Medice being a generous pool of Nares spells, she can handle any single-target healing well enough.  Second is abusing Warla, which isn't Blessing, but it's still Deban+.  Other than that...her offense is really not good, and I have the feeling she may've been meant to have some better spells or join earlier.  Ah well.  Hewn's still good to have more of.

Dungeons:

Nothing was really competent until Tonoe Basement, where my lack of armor upgrades kind of caught up with me.  So sue me, I was pressed for cash at that point and didn't want to grind.  Similarly, ended up inadvertedly grinding in Bio-Plant less out of a want, and more of having to make several trips through because party members kept dying and I needed to get out.  As for the rest:

Zio's Fort--3 trips.  Saber-type enemies now have my undying hate for their flagrant abuse of Airslash.
Plate System--Ow.  Even with Medic Power, I had to make two trips and still got to the end with only half my party alive.
Ladea Tower--Two trips.  Didn't feel I could take on Gy-Laguiah on my first run after having expended so much TP and my use of Medic Power.
Nurvus--Two trips.  TP was getting low, though I could've probably done it in one.  See my bit on Zio for more.
Dezolis Wilderness/Hangar--LOL
Kuran--Raja made this an easy one-trip stop.  Didn't run from many fights that weren't Command Ball/Floatmine groups.
Climatrol, Weapons Plant--One trip each.  Burst Rocket was probably not worth the trip, and Star Drones are notably obnoxious.
Air Castle--This is where the difficulty steps up, a lot, and with this being the only dungeon with one, nevermind two recovery points, it shows.  Frostsabers my most hated enemy still.  Bastards.  Chaos Sorcerers amusingly drop Moon Dews on occasion.
Garuberk Tower--Longer than any of the three "segments" of Air Castle, and with similarly annoying enemies.  D-Elm-Lars and Radhins can both die in a fire--at least the latter are stupid enough to cast Shift on themselves and each other repeatedly rather than spam Forceflash.  Oh, and Frostsabers are back.
Fort Vahal--Ultimate Wren weapon yay!  Ultimate Wren skill yay!  Ran the hell away from Vorpal Spheres.  Last fight with robots in this game, really, and it was a bit of a step down from Garuberk, though that's not saying much.
Island Cave--Breather dungeon.  Seth makes it a joke, all said and done; Deathspell Fract Oozes, Corrosion everything else, steal his Laconia Circlet and Cyber-Suit before Soldier's Temple.
Rykros--Both dungeons are the same, don't feel they warrant separate entries: Twinarms are as obnoxious as Sabers, what with Bladeshine.  Gi-Le-Fargs are similarly obnoxious.  Oh, and then there's Bloodsabers.  Saber-type enemies, only with Vol as well.  Joy.
The Edge--Didn't really stand out too much.  Soldrfiends are as obnoxious as Twinarms, only they also have Vol, not much else stood out.

Bosses:
Igglanova: LOL
Sandworm: Not officially a boss, but it's worth putting on the list given the Guild sidequest and how it's one of two bossfights to give me a wipe in this run.  Sandworm fight is brutal because he vastly outdamages your healing, and you have no real tricks to actually get around him, so it's largely a slugfest.  Chaz and Gryz died.  Rika got seven levels off of the experience.  Had to use Wat as well as Shifted Vortex to deal most of the damage on it.
Juza: So glad he didn't spam Forceflash.  Largely got beat down, though Shifted Vortex came into play so Alys could still do damage.  This fight really depends on how much the AI likes you, since if it wants to, it'll spam Forceflash and rip your party a new one.
Gy-Laguiah: Barrier+Deban = lol.  Single-target bosses in this game that aren't Sandworm aren't that competent.
Zio: Zio is a lot less good than I remember, though part of this was that his AI massively favored Hewn and Corrosion, and he didn't use Black Wave at all.  Perhaps I got lucky there.  Amusingly, Chaz got Githu right -after- this fight.
Dark Force 1: Dark Force is brutal if you don't take advantage of Raja's massive amount of healing and his insanely powerful Blessing spell.  Otherwise, he's actually kind of mediocre.  Githu and Giwat were my spells of choice there; Gigra was too expensive for what it did (though it's always entertaining to watch) and Githu outdamaged Shifted Crosscut by a good 40-50 points.
Xe-A-Thoul Trio: Ow.  Oh god ow.  I still have nightmares about those guys spamming Gizan.  No resets, but I blew 3 Star Dews on their Gizan spam.  I normally find that line of spells pathetic, but they make it...not suck.  Their physicals and Giwat spells hurt like hell too.  Bastards.
Lashiec: Where Zio was less good than I remember, Lashiec was a hell of a lot better than I remembered.  Thunder Halberd, despite what the lying stat topic says, is physical.  Lightning-elemental strong MT physical that 2HKOs everyone -through- Warla.  Anothergate was the weaker attack.  If it weren't for the fire weakness and that he uses Reinforce at a really low amount of HP, I'd say he's the most competent boss in the game bar none.  As is?  He's still in the running for it.  Oh, and I used the last of my Star Dews up to the point on his fight.
Dark Force 2: Fun little trend.  Three of the five hardest bosses in the game come at the end of the hardest dungeons.  Anyway, I derped a bit and forgot that Pow-Shield casts Shift--if I didn't I could get Rika buffed sooner instead of waiting to buff Chaz so he can Crosscut better.  Still a badass.  Durable, Lightshower is like a magical Thunder Halberd, and Shadowbreath wrecks people like little else at this point in the game.  And he -loves- to spam the former.  Ended the fight with Rika and Kyra both dead, though the former was clocking around 400 with Doubleslash.  And she gets a TON of it.
King Rappy: Never used Earthquake.  Takes 300+ damage from Nafoi.  LOL.
Dominator Trio: Takes 300+ damage from Tandle.  Vulnerable to Hyper Jammer.  LOL.
Dark Force 3: Easy dungeon, but he's up against a party of four and even nastier.  Whatever his MTL stat is, it's clearly jacked up to insane levels given how much damage Corrosion does.  Hilariously, Rika does terrible things to him with Shifted Doubleslash, especially with the Silver Tusk.  Put my resources to the limit, though, and I think one or two of my party members were dead at the end.
De-Vars: De-Vars is simple.  He hurts like hell if you don't know his trick (anything other than a basic physical prompts a counterattack Disrupt Arm).  He's an absolute -joke- if you do.  Beaten into submission with little effort.
Sa-Lews: And the other Rainbow Revolutionary managed to get the honors of the other wipe in the game--went before Wren could cast Barrier, used Tandle, vaporized Rika and Rune on the spot, knocked Wren down to 60 HP and Chaz down to 17 or so.  Ow.  Hell of a lot more competent in moveset than its Strength Tower counterpart, and it shows.
Profound Darkness: I'll be honest, I kind of had to cheese this fight.  I did not have the resources to actually keep up Rika's healing, especially with the fact that Hatbot gave me Kyra, who...well, when someone's not good at offense in a bossfight and you're picking based on who can fight the insanely durable final boss...yeah.  That aside, PD's big problem isn't offense output; with defenses up, Megid isn't much stronger than other GT attacks from previous bosses, and Phase 2's Lightshower is...unimpressive now that Wren takes 0.75x lightning damage.  The real threat is that you're almost guaranteed to run out of resources unless you're overleveled--unless you splurged your now otherwise useless Meseta on Star Dews in Meese.

...in which case that plus Guard Rod will steal the show and trivialize PD.

Overall, definitely a fun game, and one that's aged quite well.  ...now, the question stands if I should try playing the Hell Mode hack I've heard a bit about?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:01:49 AM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1708 on: August 17, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
Gref did you get Endless Space like I told you to?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 17, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »
Thunder Halberd 2HKOing after Warla? You must be misremembering (unless you just looked at the number to Wren and ignored everyone else). It didn't 2HKO Kyra or Rika with just Deban on the LLG. (And wouldn't have 2HKOed Chaz or Rune either had I had Warla.)

I can't speculate on all your levels/gear, but given that Kyra was high enough level to have Warla, she must have at least 166 HP. If you had her starting equips swapping a slasher for a second shield (we'll say Psy, though Silver/Reflect would only drive this number higher), she'd have at least 144 Def, and Warla would up this by at least 49 to 193. Thunder Halberd has 228 power so this should do 35 damage, which is a 5HKO. Granted, random variance exists (IIRC it's +/-10% of the base) but even at max this will only be a low 3HKO. Alternatively, I suppose you might have kept a slasher on her, which is -21 Def and would get her borderline 3-4HKOed on average. The other PCs aren't as durable as her with two shields (especially if their levels are lower and I have no idea what those are) but are probably at worst comparable to her with one (except shieldless Rune obviously) so 2HKOs still strike me as very unlikely with Warla up.

Another Gate's the stronger attack to everyone but Wren regardless (and may well be stronger even to Wren depending on your levels/gear). It is magical and has more power; PC def is almost always higher than PC mdef since equipment adds way more to the former, so even a magic attack of equal power should be more damaging.

I honestly suspect you may just have forgotten to cast Warla somehow. That would... actually explain the numbers you are describing pretty nicely!

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: August 17, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »
Honestly, a "meaningless ranking" system (or alternatively, "rankings that provide minor, but not overly significant boosts", like DMC's handing you extra red orbs (something you can alternatively grind for) for better rankings) I find hardly a bad thing.  The game gives you an actual measure for how good/bad you're doing things, and it gives you something else to strive for on replays and what not.  Can it be frustrating?  Sure, but its also entirely optional so that's something you could always stop.

I'm also gonna say that King Behemoths plowed through a Sentinel w/ Protect/Shell on in Chapter 11, so yeah, "Medic = Win" I can't agree with after a point.  FF13 definitely has fights that require specific approaches, albeit most are back ended.  To be fair, FF13's style of game overs promote experimentation and trying new things (or in King Behemoth's case, promoting "Don't fight them ASAP once they kick your ass" <.<)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 17, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »
Orcs Must Die 2- Beat it on Nightmare in 1P with the sorceress. Did most of the classic levels on nightmare with her as well; I have zero interest in even attempting the finale 1P with her.

The Library was the hardest of the classic stages, sans the final. I ended up beating it by chokepointing at the very center of the stage. Had to get lucky and keep my archers alive, which meant more or less doing the first couple of waves solo while I built my defenses. Sorcesses's superior MP was a lifesaver there.

For story stages, Precipice was absolutely brutal on Nightmare. The sheer number of fliers the game throws at you means you have to use archers, and the game responds by throwing a fuck of a lot of Gnolls at you. Gnolls are the scariest enemy in the game (Earth Lords and Cyclops are a close second), since they will slaughter your guardians if you don't carefully take them out. Even better, the game will throw upwards of a half dozen of the fuckers on a wave, so no easy charming/polymorph ring spam to get past them. With the Polymorph ring getting a big time nerf, I am not sure which of the two characters are better. War Mage has way better traps, Sorceress has better weapons and the MP is a lifesaver on nightmare.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:59 AM »
Mario Kart 7 - finished as much as I intend to

Earlier, I had thought that the star ranking you got was based on the number of times you came first. Apparently it's far more nebulous than that, and consequently not worth caring about. That said, all up I got 15 3-star rankings, 10 2-star rankings, and 7 1-star rankings.

The coin requirements for new car pieces have gotten annoyingly high also, and it takes far too long to do a prix run for far too little coins, so I'm not too concerned that I haven't unlocked all coin-based things. The last setup I was running with was Mario/Cloud 9/Roller/Swoop.

It was disappointing to see in Kalamari Desert that they declared the train tunnel out of bounds and fished you out if you went in. It was more disappointing to see at one point that as I was gliding over a turn in a course (DK Pass, I think?) I was randomly considered out of bounds and fished out. What's the point, then.

Sword Of Hope 2 VC - played through

Quaint. Interface is a bit Shadowgatey.

Has non-retargeting attacks, which I know everyone loves. Hilariously the enemies can't retarget their attacks either. Shopping is fairly horrible and you don't get anywhere near enough information about equippables.

For a good deal of the game, attack magic is somewhat overpowered. This gets less so at the end and a couple other points.

The 'Empower' spell is fairly shatteringly broken - 50% boosts to all stats of all party members for 2 MP. Partly balanced out by Theo being ludicrously slow, and partly by I'm not sure how you're really supposed to deal with endgame enemies without using it (meanwhile if you do use it, then they become trivial, it makes that much difference). Most battles at endgame which aren't against 1-2 enemies are essentially the party attempting to raise Empower before Theo gets killed (which happens distressingly often considering he's the most durable character... enemy criticals and some enemy special attacks are enough to one-hit him anyway).

Taking Zakdos - he has the spell Atomize, which the first time I fought him one-hit killed the entire party, although they weren't on full HP. The second time, it managed to not kill Theo (but it did kill the others), so he got to put Empower up - the next time Zakdos hit him with Atomize, it did -2 damage-. It's crazy. Anyway, it was just a matter of reviving the other characters and empowering them, and Zakdos was helpless once they were.

Someone needs to stattopic it. I see there's already a stat topic for the first game (which isn't out on VC, bizarrely). Man, Theo looks a completely different type of character there (probably needed to be if he was the only party member).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 18, 2012, 02:31:14 AM »
Eevee vs. Nobunaga: Looks like I have only 4 more places to conquer and I finish the main game! Yeah, finally got back to this, just gonna barrel through the main game at this point.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 18, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »
Twil: IIRC the star ratings were based on the amount of time you spent in first. So basically it distinguishes between people who raced really well and people who just snuck into first at the end of each race.

Maybe.

Idun

« Reply #1715 on: August 18, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »
I actually sometimes have some trouble getting 5 rank stars. I got a 0 star rank recently

The FF13 ranking system is weird because, unlike Devil May Cry or something, you pretty much can't die if you ignore it. IF you just want to finish the game, it is Progress Quest; use one medic and you'll be able to beat every battle doing nothing (except event eidolon battles + that gatling motorcycle random) Ranking seriously doesn't even seem to matter in any way, yeah.

The supposed incentive to getting low stars with FF13 is increased chances of -sols (rite????). I remember that five-staring yielded more components early game, but I'm not sure of its effect anymore as I'm unwilling to remove increased item equips. Though if there's anything King Behemoth battles indicated, it -is- to beat your enemy as swiftly as possible, gimmick or not. The game is based upon gimmick anyway w/ its different role advantages and disadvantages + spamming 1-3 moves. I don't particularly have a problem.

Anyway, I'm one who doesn't really care about Achievements. If they give me something in-game, sure. Otherwise I don't network enough with other gamers to give two flips and balloon.
------

Started Super Mario Brothers for the Wii. I like mini-Mario. I also like ice-Mario. I hate the desert stages - so boring.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 18, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
two flips and balloon

Songi birthday party?

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 20, 2012, 12:36:48 AM »
P4A:
Story Mode: I'm trying to finish Aigis's first part before student teaching starts. It's not that it's bad...I just really, really want to get to Mitsuru's story where I will die. A lot.
Other Parts: I'm training with Yosuke as my main. Them challenges aren't bad. I just got one of them that I was having problems with...in training mode. Now if I can replicate that anger into the challenge mode, I'll be almost done. I still need to practice the Confuse effect and see what I can combo into it. Once I get good enough, I will attempt to (fail) Ranked Mode. My goal is at least get to D.

Dissidia Duodecim: I got back into this again...I noticed I got a bit (sadly) better with Kuja and Lightning. As usual, I'll practice when I have more time in the future.

GW2: Less then a week away and I STILL don't know who will be my main...damnit! I know I'll make all 5 characters (Thief, Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist) but only 2 I know are set in stone for the actual characters: my thief and my elementalist.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 20, 2012, 02:37:08 AM »
I'd say there are quite a few RPGs which are easier than FF13 even if you ignore the rankings. Maybe even more than a few. (I have just been watching Grandia 2 and FF8 recently so maybe I am biased.) I think there are more battles than you think which I suspect would overwhelm a "always COM/MED/something" strategy although not if you also grind, of course (hi Grefter). Almost all are in Chapter 11-13 and I don't know how far you are, though.

I was near the end of Chapter 9, I'm in Chapter 11 now. It got a bit harder, I think Com/med/??? probably wouldn't have been able to handle a few battles here. This paradigm still beats the first 20 hours of the game, aside from those few battles I've mentioned. (EIdolon battles + The token "You just got Sentinel, USE IT NOW" battle)

FF8 and Grandia 2 are easy, but they require at least basic RPG skills, and an understanding of their mechanics. In FF13 you can literally just think "Huh... So I'll put someone who can heal, and someone who can do damage, in my team. Sounds good" then steamroll most of the early and midgame with autobattle, without ever worrying about resources or when to heal or anything, picking upgrades on the shiny levelling trees at random.

Eidolon battles really are the other end of the spectrum, as they really do test your agressivity in game. They feel like the most proper boss battles in the game, for all that they're all timed and annoying and stuff. (As an aside, I hate that the game really likes to rearrange your party and automatically give you the worst possible paradigms in the world. Forcing a reset every time)

The supposed incentive to getting low stars with FF13 is increased chances of -sols (rite????). I remember that five-staring yielded more components early game, but I'm not sure of its effect anymore as I'm unwilling to remove increased item equips. Though if there's anything King Behemoth battles indicated, it -is- to beat your enemy as swiftly as possible, gimmick or not. The game is based upon gimmick anyway w/ its different role advantages and disadvantages + spamming 1-3 moves. I don't particularly have a problem.

Anyway, I'm one who doesn't really care about Achievements. If they give me something in-game, sure. Otherwise I don't network enough with other gamers to give two flips and balloon.

I don't care about achievements and never brag about games or anything, but getting 0 stars and 5 points instead is disheartening. The game looks at you and says ".....", showing his terrible disappointment.
And if you get fewer than five stars, those few stars you have left are smaller than they would be if you got 5 of them. I never got one star, and I don't want to. I imagine it would be the tiniest, most pathetic star in the world.

Now that I have party choice, I'm using Fang/Sazh/Vanille.
Vanille just plain rocks, as the rest of the game showed me.
Sazh begins every battle with HasteHasteHaste.
I hesitated between Fang and Snow, but another Sab > Another Rav and Fang has that "Don't fool yourself, you know I am cooler than the rest of the cast" smile in the menu.
Meanwhile Snow gets all his strength from his vest? I don't want a party member who's only motivated enough to do, say, half damage because he isn't wearing the latest Gucci. Fuck you, Snow. (I might still pick you up later)

Diablo 3: Level 60, inferno unlocked with the witch doctor. I get ridiculous damage but now everybody is an uber tank.
Lategame strategy involved summoning zombie bears on everything.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 20, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
Fenrir - There are some bosses, missions and boss like randoms which will also slap the player with a Doom counter after a certain amount of time has passed as an anti MED/SEN stalling measure as well. One of these is the boss at the end of Chapter 9 which in my experience is a road block for a lot of new players who go into the fight using the standard Light/Fang/Hope default team and run into trouble from playing too defensively, getting heal/revive locked, finding offence is going nowhere, etc and if they manage to survive long enough (considering Hope is not the best MED at the time and haha Hope HP vs a full on/full power Destructo - ironically offence via RAV spamming for max flinch/interruption, instead of defence via trying to pure heal/tank it is the best way of dealing with Destructo) running into the Doom counter which is the game's way of hitting you over the head and saying hey you taking too long, less defence, moar offence, needs moar SAB/SYN, less MED/SEN~

This isn't to say of course that a Light/Fang/Hope team in the hands of a good player can't defeat the boss effectively and efficiently without running into those issues/DOOM/well within the time limit (i.e less extensive time in SEN/MED decks, moar RAV chaining/flinching/staggering power ASAP with shorter bursts of healing/etc as required - and it certainly helps if the player is fully maxxed in all three roles for the crystarium stage at the time and has a levelled weapon for capatilising on Fang STR) but it's definitely easier/faster with an effective and efficient/well played Vanille/Sazh based team set up for Deprotect/Deshell/Imperil, Haste/Brave/Faith/En elements instead (and with Vanille also having a better healer for heals if/as required, Light/Vanille MED/MED boosted by Sazh Haste for rapid fire healing back to heal HPs and immediately switching back to a chaining/offence deck is smoooth~) I think  :)

Here's a video peeps might be interested in (SPOILERS BEWARE!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiMC2iZ9s8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0WH1L1MAnE&feature=plcp  (Another interesting boss which might catch some unawares SPOILER! - I like the juggle/stagger based strategies for this one because they are effective ways to bypass the target's Metamorphis/Seraphic Ray limit/gimmick phase~)

Yaay Vanille~
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:25:29 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 20, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
"A good player" being anyone who can read a text document, of course.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
Which applies to pretty much any RPG, J or W. Stop throwing a shitfit the minute FF13 is mentioned, it gets old.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »
Stop pissing and moaning every time someone says something bad about the dying series whose rotting cock you cling to and I'll think about it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:54:04 PM by Rob the Stampede »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 20, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
Stop trying to save face when you keep just coming off as a raving "OH GOD THIS GAME SUCKS!" comment.  We get it, you hate the game.  Move on with your life.  You're not accomplishing anything.  You aren't "exposing" the game or anything like that.  All you're doing is pissing off everyone on this forum except for the select few who agree with you, and I wouldn't be shocked if they're getting annoyed of you constantly saying "this game sucks."

People like a game you don't; its called an opinion.  Learn to deal with it, and let actual discussion about a game move on if they want it too.  I could try and bash Persona 4 every chance I get given my opinion of the game is drastically lower than most every other person on the board, so why don't I?  Because simply put, it accomplishes nothing.  My opinion has been noted in the past, and I can simply MOVE ON with my life.

Its not that "everytime someone says something bad about the FF series."  Its that you won't SHUT UP about every single entry after a point.  I've seen plenty of hatred dealt at various entries in the series, mainstream or otherwise, but its never as much as you do it.   There's a difference between "Every time" and "some asshole who never ceases an opportunity to slam a game every time its name is as much as mentioned." 

Its not like its several people feuding, its literally JUST YOU.  This isn't a "takes two to tango" thing, its one person trolling the fuck out of ANY discussion of a game, be it good (aka talking about the game's qualities), bad (talking about its negative points), or neutral (general gameplay discussion/help, like what CT was doing for Fenrir.)  No matter, you never have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to say about the game, just "it sucks, you guys are stupid for liking it."  At least Grefter's hatred towards the game had SOME constructive thought behind it, illustrating why he hated it.  All you do is "Modern jRPGs suck, FF13 is the worst of them all, I'm going to slam it."

Here are your options now:
-Stop this shenanigans, and move on, only bringing it up if there's an actual point to it (like "The problem with FF13's plot is *insert actual constructive criticism here*" as opposed to "The problem with FF13's plot is that it was written by monkeys!")
-Ignore talk about FF13 and never bother speaking about it again; if you hate the game that much, don't talk about it
-Continue this shit and get the entire board against you to the point where someone takes genuine action and shuts you up against your will
-Leave the boards (or at least this topic) and don't return.  If trolling the fuck out of people who actually want to discuss the game is the only reason your here, then simply leave.

(yes, I know I'm adding fuel to the fire, but it needs to be said because this is seriously going way too far.  I simply cannot stand that one cannot so much as mention the name of the game in this topic without someone going with a "AHAHAHAHA that game sucks" comment)

EDIT: Might as well make this post have SOMETHING topical on the positive end of things:

Eevee vs. Nobunaga: Completed main game.  Its cute and simple and all but...yeah, its TOO simple, and not something I can find myself investing anymore time into.  5/10 game overall.  Sad, because its a game that they could have done so much more with, but kept it to the bare basics, and the "Samurai Warriors" gimmick was far more underplayed than it should have been.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:38:11 PM by Meeplelard »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
Or you could just skip his posts?  They are pretty short yo.  And back when it came out Rob was having the more constructive criticism of the game breaking down what he disliked.  He just struggled with it less than me to outline specifically what he disliked.  After a while it gets hard to have their conversations again.

Losing part of the community because they don't fit the consensus and are vocal about it is super super Internet.  Let's not be those guys.

No one is pitching a giant bitch fit when someone says Chrono Cross sucks.  We say that one a fair bit.

Anyway RPGs being able to be defeated easily with FAQs may be fairly universal but that doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about or maybe talking about other types of games that get around it.

CS:GO -  oh my gods you guys the beta for this looks fucking awesome.  They buffed the fire rate of the G3 and kept same damage.  So fucking hot.  AWP is still gonna dominate tourney play but dakdak is gonna be pub star weapon of choice I think.  The new types of gren are really exciting.  Fire ones are a bit overpriced for there duration but short term area denial in a gren is sexy as hell.  Decoy grens are $200 a pop mndfuckery and worth every dollar if you can bankroll them.

So great you guys.  So great.