Register

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234777 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1900 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:22 AM »
It's a better twist than that.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 13, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »
While elemental nefs are good for low-level PVP, they unfortunately get replaced with shit like this.  Top of the guilty list with 60,000 sin.

not yet!  and probably not period since ingward dropping the key is kinda buggy atm

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 13, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »
TO Remake: FINALLY up to the last map...which I seem to recall is actually 2 fights, but whatever.  This final dungeon FINALLY has an end in sight.  Yeah, if I ever replay this, I'm just going to agree that Heim is the last plot map <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 13, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
OMD2- Hit Wave 65+ on Endless mode. The floor teleporters are seriously freaking good. That, Zappers and the coin forge means you can last indefinitely. Wind is very good as well, as you are not killing anything with damage after wave 50 or so. I use the Sorceress for the Polymorph ring to deal with Mountain Trolls/Armored Ogres.

Mod of balance- Beat Chaos. He got crushed after I finished whisperwind cove (Shocking news, 15 levels helps!!). I really think it would have been an overall positive experience if the hacker had lowered weapon costs early, raised spell costs, and lowered Chaos's INT. As is, the game turns into Archmage splattering the world early, and Chaos being a straight up HP check. Blah. A shame.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:23:39 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 13, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »
TO Remake: FINALLY up to the last map...which I seem to recall is actually 2 fights, but whatever.  This final dungeon FINALLY has an end in sight.  Yeah, if I ever replay this, I'm just going to agree that Heim is the last plot map <_<

Instead of starting a new file, it's often a better idea in TOr to just change all the PCs you want to use unlevelled classes and WORLD back to the beginning. All the enemy levels will be scaled back downwards, you get a chance to actually play with some of those lategame classes and recruit all the plot PCs from a different route while keeping access to your existing ones, plus they add a shortcut after the first Hanging Gardens map straight to the Andoras plot fight, which cuts out pretty much all the tedium.

I think there's also a shortcut in the Heim sequence, but I've never bothered to replay that so I can't confirm manually.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: September 13, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »
Grandia 3: This Time With Sceneskip.

Not doing any kind of challenge or anything, just railroading to the best of my ability. I'm better just on account of paying attention to the battle system instead of just winging it like I did first playthrough. Setups are pretty much the same though, with liberal Galactic Bang for bosses and GT/MT goodness for randoms.

Game is tame early. Dragon Valley was still pretty nasty at times with the mounted lizards and the 3 Green Men fight. Yoat's temple and the boss fight there got to meet Fused Magic and die in a fire (I missed out on fusion magic before this and found the golems and boss fight very challenging my first time playing).

Excise Psis were of course the giant "Hope you've figured out this game by now!" but this time I actually had figured out the game and didn't wipe to any of them. I also used the Orb at various points up till them and it made life easier, as I didn't even pay attention to it last game till Melc Crystals.

I had forgotten how nasty the Vegas Jungle was. No restoration points anywhere but the entrance, and some REALLY nasty fights in the form of Alraunes, who can eat their allies and become bosses with like 300% speed and MT 2-3HKO and borderline ST OHKO. Not happy fun times when those things get going, so preventing them from eating allies is a must (kill them fast). There are a lot of these encounters however, which puts a crimp on resources considering there aren't restoration points. Damn Dirty Apes in the temple were annoying as hell a few times but judicious use of magic wiped them before they could get going with the fast and solid damage train. Found out that the otherwise Magic Immune Golems can be popped with Galactic Bang... It's doesn't OHKO them courtesy of that stupid Mdef but it does 2HKO them, which is all the doctor ordered. Well that and a bunch of MP restoration items since you really can't skimp against the damn Forest Guardians. 3 boss fights in a row with no restoration before or during, to top off a nasty dungeon set. Yar.

Melc Crystals were a lot easier this time. Seiba at the start of the fight followed by utter and complete stomping via the girls Galactic Banging while Yuki Absolute Zero'd and Ulf... did stuff. A. Lot. Easier. The dungeon itself was tame enough minus the fight against two Red Beasts, which got tricky, and a fight against a Hyudra I underestimated and had to use Yoat to bail out of.

Beginning of the floating continent Sumeria was tame. Randoms didn't threaten me and Violetta got Unama'd and died before she saw a single turn. Take THAT, bitch. Stretch up to La-Ilim did nothing but serve to give me a level and recharge my Orb. I think there was some kind of cutscene in there but sceneskip. La-Ilim didn't even justify the Orb usage since his Dragon died fast and then he joined it in hell very shortly thereafter while I cancelled him and his silly Skull. Emelious DID justify an Unama'ing, so after about 2 Galactic Bangs he got it and summarily died before he saw another turn. I think his sword was dangerous or something, but who knows? He should have known that you don't fuck with dolphins.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition: And thus all was right with the world.  Manus will die later today/early tomorrow or my name isn't.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 14, 2012, 02:48:32 AM »
Tactics Ogre- Bought this for the trip. Kachua is as pathetically clingy as I remember.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:42 AM »
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition: And thus all was right with the world.  Manus will die later today/early tomorrow or my name isn't.

Is that a Taurus Demon OHKO I see? Also I could've sworn "YOU DEFEATED" got patched out of existence...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »
Mario and Luigi 3 Bowser's Inside Story

Dear diary,

So today has been a really, really bad day. Princess Peach called a meeting to deal with a public health crisis and forgot to call me! Don't I live in this kingdom too? When I dropped in on her meeting to let her know that she'd wronged me, she had her lapdog plumber attack me! And as if that's not enough, she used some cowardly magic to weaken me so he'd beat my easily! Grrr... I bet she's been doing that every time I've fought Mario! It's the only way to explain my losses!

Anyway, after I was unceremoniously thrown out of her castle (for the crime of... showing up? Scaring some Toads? I'm still not sure), this merchant offered to sell me a mushroom which would give me the power to beat Mario. Now, I never should have trusted this guy, but I was angry, and weak. I figured if that royal brat and moustache man could cheat, then I could too! So I went back and challenged Mario again, and... I'm not exactly sure what happened next. Some voice in my head calling itself Chippy told me I ate everyone, but I'm not sure I believe that crock. It doesn't matter much anyway. What DOES matter is I lost my ability to breathe fire! I'm a lean, mean, fire-breathing machine, so this was absolutely unacceptable!

But ooh, what really gets me? That merchant who sold me the mushroom showed up again and said he had taken over my castle! I am so. blasted. SICK of people taking over my castle. Apparently my minions put up a pathetic fight in the castle's defence, which honestly sounds about right. (I need better minions.) The merchant (who is named Fawful and talks like a complete moron, by the way) showed me my captive minions on a TV he was carrying around, and said that he had prepared a crying room in my castle for me and my minions! A crying room! Who does he think he is? Powerful, muscular, and intelligent koopa kings don't cry, as we all know! Anyway, he ranted about having chortles and flew off. This guy is messed up. I don't think I've ever been barred from my own home from someone who is this much of a nutjob.

Anyway, around this time that weird voice in my head said that it had fixed my fire-breathing ability, and wouldn't you know it, the voice was right! First good thing that happened all day. But then! I offered to make him my new minion and he turned me down. I made sure to rescind the offer immediately, as I'd never live it down if word got out that anyone turned down an offer to be my minion. My street cred would be ruined.

So I breathed fire on a lot of idiots, and punched the ones that couldn't be lit on fire, and life was good. Fawful's minions are no match for me! I even discovered and rescued one of my sets of minions, the goomba squad! Now I can show enemies the true might of the Koopa Troop. Our secret weapon is for all the goombas to charge, and I light the goombas on fire as they do so for an unstoppable, firey assault! I am such a genius, sometimes I amaze myself!

I found a second group of my minions. These ones were too useless for anything related to combat or recon, a pack of grade-A morons. But they had managed to save a banzai bill launcher from my castle! We just needed a banzai bill to use as ammo. I sent them off to look for one but of course they didn't find one, the useless buffoons. I have to do everything myself! So I went looking, and I found a veggie garden. And in this veggie garden was a huge carrot, twice as big as me (which is very impressive, as you know). So I pulled the carrot out to use as a makeshift banzai bill. For some reason this pissed off a wiggler who was some sort of gardener. I don't really understand why, what does he see in some useless veggies? I was about to light the moron on fire, but then he said that he had a banzai bill, and he'd give it to me... as long as I showed "respect" for his weird lifestyle by eating the carrot I had pulled.

Now, I hate veggies, but I'm a reasonable koopa king. I honour my word. This guy wanted to trade my eating of this gross overgrown root for a banzai bill? Yeah, I could do that. So I ate the whole thing. It made me really sick; that "Chippy" voice says it had parasites, which sounds right. And after I had finished? Get this: the wiggler attacked me, prattling on about "how dare you pull out my veggies without permission and then eat them". Um, earth to idiot caterpillar! YOU were the one who insisted I eat the damn thing! And it nearly killed me! Fortunately after I introduced him to the unstoppable might of Bowser's fist, he remembered his deal and gave me my banzai bill.

So I got back to my cannon, and I fired it at my castle, planning to show Fawful who was boss. Now - and this is where shit gets weird - right before the banzai bill made impact, the castle jumped and avoided it! And then it flew through the air. And then it fell on me.

... I think I might be dead.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 14, 2012, 04:59:50 AM »

Is that a Taurus Demon OHKO I see? Also I could've sworn "YOU DEFEATED" got patched out of existence...

If the wiki's right(1,250 HP for it) it should be actually.  That kill was phantoming(obviously) and I still did 1,500 damage with the plunge, so yeah.  Probably gonna do it for REALZ with Power Within, and Red Tearstone Ring if I feel cheeky.

YOU DEFEATED was patched out.  I patched it back in because it is the ULTIMATE of Dark Soulsness.

Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition:

~Super Duper New Content Spoilers~! love dat tilde

After far far too damn long I finally managed to ass myself into finishing off the DLC.  First up is Black Dragon Kalameet who's a stupid asshole.  He is painfully easy--especially for a DLC boss--but has the caveete of having a tail weapon and NEVER FUCKING DROPPING HIS TAIL.  Seriously, he has three moves where he drops it, one of which is actually too short a time on the ground to actually hit it, and the other two moves he really, really hates using.  I swear I spent an hour on the tail run because he just doesn't drop the damn thing ever.

The weapon is pretty damn awesome though.  Greatsword with slightly less than BK Sword requirements, 480 pure physcial damage at +5(320 at base), is enchantable, and the two-hand heavy doesn't actually suck!

Anyway, over to Manus attempts today.  After failing twice as MAXIMUM AROTRIAS I switch over to hobo-Ciaran.  That.... doesn't work out either.  So then I switch out for crazy-joe slipshoddy whatever.  Anyway, Manus himself is very fast, pretty damn defensible, and brutally unrelenting.  By the time you notice he's not attacking you you've already lost enough time not to heal.  His attacks hit hard, so my first try with the Grass Crest Shield+10 ended up draining all my stamina.  Despite having an actual healthbar, unlike YOU DEFEATED above, he still does a lot of damage.  Especially when he does his grab, or busts out his best Street Fighter impression, or feels like summoning the hell that is his magic.  But luckily I have some aces in the hole!  The Oolacile mobs drop Large Titanite Shards with alarming frequency so I go and upgrade a Tower Shield to +10 and am now up to 80 Stability from 61!  Now only most of my stamina is gone!  There's also Power Within to let me do 500 damage a hit with my BKS+5, andsuper special super spoilary guest phantom Great Gray Wolf Sif to give you breathing room!  Said phantom is also nigh immortal because holy shit 3,000 damage from a Manus attack only took maybe 1/5 a lifebar off.  Said phantom isn't very damaging, but is a distraction which is priority one.  So after a dozen failed tries, crazy-joe random finally emerges victorious!  Before Power Within even ran out! 

With the Father of the Abyss slain, Dusk is saved and I get some delicious Mushrooms for my trouble.  Along with the most depressing cutscene ever.  Yay.

~OH NOES THE NEW CONTENT ENDED~

Gonna go kill the remaining NPCs later at endgame, but other then that and farming, not much else to do other than chievies!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:30:11 AM by Fudozukushi »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 14, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
Elfboy is Cersei now?  I guess that changes up how I would cast Game of Thrones significantly now.  Ciatos is a pretty good Robert Baratheon though.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 14, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »

yessssssssssss

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 14, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
Quote from: Neo ElfBowser
EVERYTHING IS AWESOME

<3<3<3
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:15:29 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1914 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »

Whoa! It's like I stepped into RPGDL 2006.
<3 <3 <3

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 14, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
RPGDL 2006 would be WA4 craze.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1916 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
Whatevs, the point is it's a year where people were still writing cute vignettes like this.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 14, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
Vignettes are timeless and bound only to our laziness~

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 14, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »
Bowser's Inside Story is pretty fucking hilarious.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1919 on: September 15, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
Bought Final Fantasy Dimensions for the iPhone. It is way overpriced, but whatevs. It is your basic FF1/FF4 storyline with FF5's job system. It looks and sounds like it was made with RPGmaker 2k. (And seriously... -buying- spells again?) The iPhone controls are clunky, but credit where credit is due, they gave you like 6 different control schemes to choose from and you can switch between them on the fly, so maybe they'll feel better as I get used to one control scheme. Auto-Battle from FF4 Complete is back and it is marvelous.

The writing is just kinda there, which makes it better than FF4/FF4-2 at least. And it seems to be at least -trying- something what with the two different sets of Crystal Warriors PoVs.

It actually seems like a pretty fun on-the-go FF experience, but I wish the music was better.

The game at least lends itself to stat topiccing, unlike FF5. All of the PCs are either Temps with set jobs or Main Crystal Warriors who can change jobs, but all of them started with innate job skills. So that's kind of cool.

Sol - starts with the Warrior innate, Counter
Nacht - starts with the Thief innate, Flee
Aigis - starts with Red Magic and Cover
Diana - starts with White Magic
Glaive - starts with the Monk innate, Focus
Alba - starts with Black Magic
Dusk - starts with White Magic
Sarah - starts with no skills, but comes equipped with a Whip, a Summoner-only weapon (at least for the first set of jobs)

Elga - Temp, is a Red Mage.

I might try to run them in their base classes just to get DL-legal info, but that doesn't seem like nearly as much fun as a Four Shirtless Monks party...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1920 on: September 15, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Didn't they want like 30 bucks for that shit?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1921 on: September 15, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
It's 2.99 for Ch. 1, then 9.99 each for Ch. 2, 3, and 4. These chapters are each multiple chapters themselves from what little research I've done on finalfantasy wikia. The 'bundled' package is 28.99. The Prologue chapter is free (and notably doesn't contain any job changing... WTF? Terrible demo).

It is -not- an iphone game worth $30, no. With any luck, it'll actually drop in price to reasonable levels. Obvious naked cash grab is obvious~

The gameplay itself manages to be solid -in spite of- its nature as an abomination of capitalism, not -because- it's a SquareEnix game.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 15, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
FFVII- Playing the PC Rerelease of this on my laptop. Saved in dat guy's house before the Great Glacier. Running Cloud/Tifa/Red XIII. Teh bunnies are evading Cosmo Memory ;o Not all limits are ITE? ~

Maybe none of them are and I just thought so >_>
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 15, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
Limits are only 255% accuracy. They can be theoretically evaded. EDIT: There are FF7 enemies with "evade #% of attacks regardless of accuracy" tags as well, so there's that.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 15, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Limits can miss if you have Fury Status as well.

That said, Bunnies in Icicle Inn have a flat out 15% chance to evade any physical it seems, if I'm reading this right, which bypasses any accuracy concerns.

FF7 has a bunch of random factors in evasion and accuracy in any event.  In fact, a character's own personal accuracy takes Evasion into account...as in, Mystile boosts the accuracy of the character its equipped it....because it already wasn't good enough.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A