Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234756 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #2325 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
<Dorothyatos> Can't sleep, Scarecrow'll eat me, can't sleep, Scarecrow'll eat me
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: November 15, 2012, 06:19:41 PM »
TH11: got a perfect (ignoring score) extra stage clear.  I'm shockingly bad at the main game now.  Might work on that.

LoL: Lots of Riven.  I'm finding top lane nice for solo queue due to its relative independence.  Might buy Lee Sin or something next to diversify.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2327 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
Scarecrow just killed two dudes with his mind. He is a gifted Psionics guy. I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

Wait until he learns to turn his enemies into mindless thralls.

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #2328 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
I like how some soldiers cackle evilly while they tear apart aliens' minds.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 15, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty great. None of mine have but Elfboy's girl is a pro evil cackler.

Ran into my first Sectapod last night. I knew somewhat how to deal with him because I watched the game played before playing it, but he still scared the shit out of me. I think Suppression may have saved two people's lives. <_<
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2330 on: November 15, 2012, 09:09:12 PM »
Started a new game.  Named a guy in honor of the late, great Theodore T. Doggbert (RIP).  Coincidentally, the nickname he was given was "Walker."

WHAT DO THEY KNOW ABOUT FUTURE EPISODES THAT I DO NOT?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 15, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »
Started a new game.  Named a guy in honor of the late, great Theodore T. Doggbert (RIP).  Coincidentally, the nickname he was given was "Walker."

WHAT DO THEY KNOW ABOUT FUTURE EPISODES THAT I DO NOT?

:psyduck:

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:12 AM »
Dark Souls, wait why is Demon Firesage difficult now? edition: Yeah, Indy didn't fare too well in this fight. Not being able to block the magic bursts is horrible--you don't really have the space to maneuver behind him like you do with Stray Demon (also he jumps) so I pretty much had to resign myself to getting blasted all over the room. Actually burned through all ten of my estus flasks there. Blegh. Then Centipede Demon went down like a chump (only reason I had to heal was running across lava to the larger safe zone) and Seath was a zero-damage fight. Yawn. Deathcount!

Goddammit lock-on! deaths: 1. Maneuvered off a cliff fighting taurus demons. Deja vu!
Buffed channeler spear stab while leaping = OHKO deaths: 1. Holy shit, man.
Did a moonlight butterfly just fucking backstab me? deaths: 1. What the christ.
Looting failure (falllllling) deaths: 2. Hate the Crystal Cave so much.

Dex is at 40, whip is fully upgraded, so I have now hit maximum offensive capacity: 373 attack power. Not as terrible as I expected (but still worse than any other character I've run).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 16, 2012, 01:45:30 AM »
373 damage is actually just about what I had with my Black Knight Halberd +0 and 40 strength. It's decent.
...Oh man. I don't know how you're going to handle the final boss with whips.

I have no money so I just play more Dark Souls:
Fist challenge.
Here is the roleplaying aspect: The main character is named Olga. She punches dragons.

Anyway, I choose the master key, play as usual in the tutorial area, then go down the elevator and through the forest to buy two Caestus from Andre, one for each arm. Only fist weapons are allowed (caestus, claws, dragon bone fist)
They are so awful!
You know a weapon is terrible when you upgrade it to +5 before Bell Gargoyle and it still does mediocre damage in that fight.

The Caestus skillset:
R1: Standard attack. Can combo. Much like any other weapon's R1, without damage or range.
R2: The "high" range, "high" damage, slow startup attack. Often required to do any relevent damage. Can combo into an even higher damage attack (!!) Spamming R2 kills a stone golem before he can attack. At least if he decides to use Tranquill Walk of Peace upon waking up. And if I time it correctly. ... It's something?
L1: Quick jab, does even less damage than R1. Useful to quickly stun an enemy during his attack, or to break guard.
L2: Parry. It can actually be very useful before the final boss! Yay! Armored Hollows? Black Knights? Infested barbarians? Freaking forest guardians? Parry can handle them all. There is nothing more satisfying than killing a dark knight at the beginning of the game by parrying his sword with your own fists.

With the 10k souls from the gargoyles, I've bought a seal from Andre, joined Alvina and eventually bought a claw from Shiva in Blight town, before getting to the depths. Unfortunately, I'll have to waste 5 points into dexterity before being able to use it...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:47:26 AM by Fenrir »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 16, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »
XCOM: So Mind Control is really freaking good. Makes the enemies (on Normal Mode, hopefully less on harder modes) stupid as fuck and they fire at their buddy. Scarecrow told them something about making them live nightmares, in true Jon Crane fashion.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #2335 on: November 16, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
XCOM: So Mind Control is really freaking good. Makes the enemies (on Normal Mode, hopefully less on harder modes) stupid as fuck and they fire at their buddy. Scarecrow told them something about making them live nightmares, in true Jon Crane fashion.

No, this never stops being a thing.

A word of warning, though. On higher difficulties, XCOM squaddies will sometimes panic because a mind-controlled alien was killed, which makes using them as expendable scouts somewhat less appealing. (Panic cascades are, I suspect, the number one killer of XCOM squaddies on Classic.)
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 16, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
Sounds dumb. <_< I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like people picked for a specialized team to fight supernatural beings wouldn't be stupidly panicky and shoot their own allies because an alien died that was being mind controlled. Feels like artificial difficulty to me.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 16, 2012, 03:37:31 PM »
Hey Cranbud, out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the S3 changes? Haven't heard much since I'm on a LoL hiatus.

XCOM: Small update, because I didn't have a lot of time. With the Rogue's Squad in shambles, they managed to assemble a crack team of rookies (and a couple barely experienced members) to defend against an Alien Invasion. Amazingly, the mission was successful with no casualties, although India is on the verge of leaving XCOM.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #2338 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
Hey Cranbud, out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the S3 changes? Haven't heard much since I'm on a LoL hiatus.

Based on what I've seen there's been an across-the-board weakening of tank items. Force of Nature was removed. There's only one item that is described as having "High End Magic Resistance" and that's the Mercurial Scimitar, an item that builds out of the B.F. Sword and seems very AD-targeted; my tanks of choice were AP and it doesn't look like they'll get a replacement. We also have the statement that "Armor and Magic Resistance is generally around 10 to 20% more expensive than before." Lich Bane, a common compromise offense/defense item for APs, has lost its Magic Resistance and is now just an offensive item.

And, well, that's the exact opposite of what I'd like to see. As it stands AP carries can burst down an offtank if their full burst hits. AD carries can kill anyone but a dedicated tank in two or three right clicks. And tanks, as it stand, have the most variety in item choices, whereas carries have the least.

I also really dislike the removal of traditional leashing because it seems like it will limit who can jungle, while their stated design goal is to expand the jungler rotation. Their other goal, reducing the pressure junglers can impose on the earlygame, is another thing I dislike, because my experience is that junglers can punish players who are over-aggressive, and I'm very cautious. I'll be sad to see a change that encourages laners to spend their time pushed to the enemy's side of the river.

By and large, many of the changes seem to go against the things I'm good at and enjoy (a long laning phase, cautious, measured play, lategame tanking) and in favor of things I'm bad at and don't enjoy (aggressive play, powerful burst, first-to-click-wins lategame fights).

More than my personal likes and dislikes, though, I feel like they "addressed" a complaint of low-Elo players, the so-called "bruiser meta," which I've never experienced even in Normals (still not level 30 yet), while leaving apparently untouched the "AD carry and four varieties of distraction/meatshield meta" that everyone who doesn't suck plays.

There are some neat changes, like the introduction of upgrades to the GP/10 items that don't take away their GP/10, and the introduction of a "support's lantern" to ease warding costs.

I'm hoping that the new jungle will have enough gold and XP to support a jungler + support pairing, possibly even the AD Carry going jungle sometimes, because that would do two things. Productively, it might break up the stagnant lane meta that exists, where it's always solotop, solomid, solojungle, dualbot and always bruiser, caster, bruiser or tank, support and carry slotting into those roles. Less productively, but to my amusement, it might make early ganks scarier and punish aggressive laners even more. ;)

But it remains to be seen if the new jungle can actually do that.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 16, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »
373 damage is actually just about what I had with my Black Knight Halberd +0 and 40 strength. It's decent.
...Oh man. I don't know how you're going to handle the final boss with whips.

It's not like I ever relied on parries to win that fight anyway (because even after all this time playing the game, I cannot parry worth a damn). In short, the solution is CHUG CHUG CHUG.

With the 10k souls from the gargoyles, I've bought a seal from Andre, joined Alvina and eventually bought a claw from Shiva in Blight town, before getting to the depths. Unfortunately, I'll have to waste 5 points into dexterity before being able to use it...

The claw gets you...bleed damage!!! at least. Which is actually really nice for some big lugs like Anor Londo giant guards, but yeah, mostly irrelevant. I ran with a fire claw once as backup offense for a pyromancer and it was...okay as a backup weapon for a caster, but not what I'd call good. Probably still your best option, sadly. The dragon bone fist is outright horrible, probably the worst boss weapon not called Smough's Hammer (is it just me, or aren't there a lot of crummy boss weapons?)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:10:39 PM by El Cideon »

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #2340 on: November 16, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
XCOM: Finished classic/ironman. Difficulty took a nose dive in the final quarter when 5 of my 7 core units turned out to be psychic. So there's a weird sort of RNG hiccough for you. Made the final dungeon even more trivial, though I had a few difficult moments in the Overseer battle (he's much scarier with two Sectopods in the hallways outside his room for backup, particularly when one blows a hole in the wall and draws him and his bodyguards into the fight early :P), and then one genuinely brutal terror mission immediately where I lost a couple mid-rank characters. But the second half was still unquestionably much much easier than the first. The final dungeon in particular is just disappointing, it barely seems to scale up from normal. Though I guess there's always the battleship if you want a similar experience except totally merciless.

Still not sure if I want to do Impossible on ironman, though, I just don't dig the very real chance that some bad luck could kill (another) several hours of play time. So I think I'll do normal, but forgo in-battle saves, a la non-10 Fire Emblem. Should be an okay balance. Since Slingshot seems on the horizon I might wait for it to come out before I tackle Impossible, though, and do that rigger playthrough first, pick up the Ain't No Cavalry Comin' trophy while I'm at it.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 17, 2012, 03:36:05 AM »
TH11: got a perfect (ignoring score) extra stage clear.  I'm shockingly bad at the main game now.  Might work on that.

:O

I'm particularly impressed by your Genetics of the Subconscious.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 17, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Complete.  Fun, a worthy successor to the original Deus Ex.  I have some nitpicks but on the whole, it's solid.  Played non-lethally focusing on stealth usually, but would usually go on killing sprees for fun then reload of course like I imagine many people do.

Since criticism is more interesting than praise, said nitpicks...
* Pacifist counts the tutorial mission?  Where you only have a deadly weapon and you are the security chief and armed intruders are massacring your employees?  Blargh.  Pacifist is cool for the other missions where Jensen is playing a bit more aggressive and fighting more morally neutral foes, but meh, missed out on the Achievement thanks to not knowing this and only deciding to play non-lethally when it became a serious option.
* Same note as above - DE:HR strangely doesn't give you any stats to show how you dealt with your opposition.  I'd at least like a simple death counter (other than 0 / not 0 from Pacifist).  Alpha Protocol carefully details all your kills & takedowns & alarms & all after every mission; MGS games at least give you an end-of-game recap and a title based on your style; Iji has different dialogue between never-kill and mostly never kills and kills and psychotically wipes the map clean.
* Invisibility.  In a game with stealth.  For SEVEN SECONDS.  Eat a candy bar, get 14 seconds.  This is broke'd even for a straight combat run - eschew takedowns, and simply turn invisible and run next to guards and zap them with the stun gun or head shot 'em with a silenced pistol.  (Certainly helped out in the save Malik mission.)
* Just like Mass Effect 2 decided to be a medium-range cover shooter too often when it could have been more, DE:HR decides to be a sneak-past-or-shoot guards patrolling set areas too often.  The Malik mission was great - enemies are attacking everywhere, and you're under time pressure.  This kind of mix-up can make for a great game, but DE:HR sticks to the patrolling guards too much.  A good example: the Alice Garden Pods event.  This had the potential to be totally badass AND interesting - raiding guards are coming for your location.  You need to either GTFO and start stealthing it up against an alerted foe searching for your charge, or else set up some kind of defensive position and start picking off the attackers, possibly trying to avoid getting pinned in one place.  Additionally, you have a civilian you're trying to protect, and there are other civilians scattered about.  You can of course throw around explosives and shoot wildly and maybe get some "collateral damage" that isn't your problem, but if you feel like trying to be moral, you can do that as well.  Of course none of this is what actually happened.  Your charge magically disappears, all the civilians have either disappeared or are dead (WTF?!  This is the Tai Yong Medical's own employees when they are on a super-tight deadline of 1 week of rush jobs!), and soldiers are patrolling set areas except for where you start and not particularly interested in coming for you and forcing you to make some desperate stand or escape or anything.  You!  Blew!  It!  It would have been friggin' great to see the enemy doom squad running one way while I give 'em the slip, OR to meet the enemy doom squad head-on in glorious combat, and instead we awkwardly got the "raid" team spread out on patrol of their occupied crash hotel.  Which was still fine, to be sure, but it's the same friggin' gameplay I'd expect for the usual me-raiding-unsuspecting-them at this point.  It's easy to make stealth tempting: have an air vent or hackable panel to get around the enemies.  Make combat tempting or hard to avoid sometimes, too.
* The plot was fine and there was definitely some interesting characters, but the enemies are a tad underwhelming.  The post-credits ending to DE:HR was surprisingly great, and part of that was hearing Bob Page's voice actor ham it up again.  Page is a charismatic megalomaniac who was fun to hate in DE.  DE:HR lacks a similar presence.  Taggart, Sandoval, Reed, & Darrow are played for at least some sympathy.  !Anna, !Gunther, & Southern bot aren't former colleagues and don't really have dialogue; they're just straight heavies you must fight.  The closest DE:HR has is Zhao for scenery-chewing bad girls you want to settle up with, but she just doesn't have enough plot presence & screentime to qualify.

On the bright side...
* The ending ending was an amusing continuity nod!  ANd included   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzHzmdolRU , hehe.
* I have to say that the direction that the final act of the game went totally caught me off guard.  Which was interesting, since conspiracy fiction is usually totally predictable for me.
* I'm not one of the whiners about the boss battles; I liked 'em.  Mix things up, give me a challenge; if I have to fight the battle 10 times to defeat it, that's okay because I saved right outside the door.  I guess people who are terrible at shooters didn't like they actually had to shoot for these, but you should have stuck the difficulty setting on Easy then.  (Whining about the Alpha Protocol boss battles makes more sense, mostly because your skill build is super-important in AP, and the stealth skills are nearly worthless in boss battles there.  But stealth isn't totally worthless in DE:HR boss battles, and there's really only one relevant straight-combat upgrade in Dermal Armor, so it's not like you can get stuck with a misbuilt character.)
* Replaying the game bloodily on hard difficulty going on killing sprees sounds pretty fun.

Growlanser: The Wayfarer of Time
Okay.  So.  In a ruined village, and - a shocking sight.  An old colleague & ally, someone who was surely, 100% dead - killed by a massive blast that leveled an entire town - suddenly appears again.  Alive.  How does / can our silent-but-with-a-lot-of-player-input hero react?  I, SnowFire, might propose the following as rational, dramatic possibilities, any or all of which at once make sense:
* Delirious happiness.  It's a miracle!  What was lost has been found.  What was dead, is now alive.  Give her a huge hug, break down in tears, and immediately set to throwing a party.
* Madness.  Am I seeing things?  Have I finally gone crazy?  Does the world even make sense anymore?  WHAT IS GOING ON?  TELL ME!  Break down in tears sobbing at the ground wondering WTF is going on and if anybody can explain anything.
* Paranoia.  There's no way she could have escaped that blast.  Unless she was IN on it.  Maybe she knew in advance.  Maybe the explosion was part of her plan, and she cruelly massacred all those other innocents.  What's your excuse?  How exactly do you claim to have survived the attack?  Do you have any proof?  Or... maybe she DID die, and you're some kind of imposter or doppleganger.  Who are you?

The game's actual options, abridged:
* Greet her via touching her breasts?

No.

* Are you sure?  You have the option again.  Bury your face in her breasts!

Japan.  Catering to pathetic shut-ins again.  You are on notice.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 17, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Growlanser: The Wayfarer of Time
* Greet her via touching her breasts?

Touch him on the penis.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 17, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
For LoL talk:

To be fair on the armor and mr cost effectiveness nerfs, they are also nerfing a lot of offensive items as well.  Rabadons is getting a whole 20 ap and 5% taken away from it's passive, which is a ~15% nerf in it's effectiveness.  Attack speed is getting nerfed across the board, so ad's will have less multiplicative scaling going on, and lifesteal is now not as easy as "Buy Vamp Scepter after bf sword/ie, facetank everything by lifestealing with auto's because you out sustain any non ad's dps"  I would view it as more of balance change to have slightly less power coming from raw item stats and more from item special effects.

The Jungle changes I actually really like, right now in s2, an initial full clear is only worth ~350 gold, this is terrible and has turned the jungle into "pick someone with good ganks and doesn't mind stacking gp5, because otherwise you will have no income and be useless"  This has led to Jungling basically being about who can camp a lane better, because clearing the jungle is a waste of time, especially since alot of mids like to jack wraiths since they're so easy to aoe down in a spell or two.  Right now the current gameplay environment is if you push without a ward, you are basically guaranteed dead, because the jungler will totally make a beeline to your lane to kill you because a kill on you is worth more then an entire jungle clear for him.  He can also do this after basically any camp because lol jungle creeps have no health and do no damages.

Contrast in season 3, an initial full clear is worth around ~550 gold  that is a rather huge buff to jungler income, you can now have some of those lategame type champions who can jungle do it without feeling like they're gimping themselves through gold starvation.  Initial clears for a lot of champs have been about the same time/hp wise, some champs do worse, but for everyone one of those there is a champ who cries for joy since they're kit is now no longer a drawback. (Fiddle loves the move of hp strength on big mobs and the fact he an actually buy items to be his true scary self of CAWCAWCAWCAW).  I used to be a pretty avid jungler in Season 1 and when season 2 came around it just kind of turned into my least favorite role with how bad the goldflow became.

I don't think there's to much to worry about in the ganking department.  Some junglers got hit a bit hard by the changes yeah, but that's mostly only if they do full clears, doing a quick red -> level 2 gank is still totally viable if a few seconds slower, and alot of people can actually make a choice to forgo ganking if your team is crazy and pushing every single lane up to the opponents tower, which is something that doesn't really happen in season 2, if you team does that, you basically end up sitting in some bush near one of the lanes and just kind of prey their jungler comes so you can countergank him or something.  Either that or you end up doing some risky lower level tower dive where you juggle tower aggro, because a jungler that doesn't get kills/assists in season 2 is essentially gold starved.

Edit: I'm stupid, apparently early gold is actually around the same, it's the gold scaling as the game goes on that gets significantly better, whoops.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:36:21 AM by Glen Veil »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 17, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
Pokemon Black 2: Finished this earlier in the week, finally got unlazy enough to write something up on it.

Since the gen 5 starters are pretty lame and I've already used Samurott and Emboar in B1/W1, I decided to essentially roll my starter and breed an egg to trade over. I opted for Hippopotas, to build a team around some of Unova's juicy sand abusers.

Minor problem 1) For once, you can't trade in B2/W2 until after getting your first badge. <_< Luckily I had one team member I could catch at the beginning of the game (Lillipup), so I just had it plow through the game up through the first gym.

Minor problem 2) As mentioned previously, I made the mistake of consulting a gamefaqs Pokedex instead of something reliable like serebii at first and got the wrong ability on my Lillipup. >_< >_< Luckily Pokesav exists, so I could just trade it over to a flashcart and fix it that way instead of having to start over with a fresh one and grind it back up.

After that rough start, it was mostly smooth sailing through the game. Team members were as follows:

Stoutland (Return, Superpower, Crunch, Strength/Surf): Beat the first gym with only an Oran Berry for support, which was nice. In general its job was to provide neutrality for a team of mostly Ground and Steel types. Sand Rush isn't as valuable as it is on Excadrill since it's nowhere near as good a boss sweeper, but avoiding sand chip damage is pretty nice for this team in general, and it can beat almost anything save a Fighting type one-on-one under sand by 2HKOing and outspeeding. Superpower was a nice lategame pickup since I have multiple Ground types but no Fighting damage otherwise.

Hippowdon (Earthquake, Ice Fang, Yawn, Slack Off): Yeah, I have no shame and bred Slack Off onto my starter-replacement. >_> It was actually pretty important for baby Hippo, who seriously sucks at dealing damage and had to rely on Eviolite+Slack Off tanking to beat all but the scrubbiest (non-electric) random. Evolution was a bigger deal for it than anyone except maybe Excadrill, since big Hippo has enough attack to kill stuff without relying on sandstream chip damage. Ice Fang is weaker than Rock Slide but helps it take on physical dragons, like Drayden's Flygon. Yawn isn't terribly useful for catching stuff for obvious reasons, but is nice for setting up on bosses.

Magnezone (Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, Flash, T-Wave): A steel type before the second gym is seriously borked, especially with Sonicboom to 2HKO just about everything in that time frame. I actually managed to get Modest on my very first Magnemite catch, too, which made its firepower even greater. Definately lives up to the internet hype as perhaps the single best in-game Pokemon in B2/W2, completely dominant aside from a phase mid-game where its STAB options are a bit underpowered. All-important on this particular team for covering my otherwise glaring Water weakness, especially now that they added a Water gym this time around. T-wave is great for catching stuff, Flash is mainly there for out of battle use plus lack of useful alternatives.

Excadrill (Earthquake, Iron Head, Rock Slide, Swords Dance): Drilbur phase was solid (and clearly better than baby Hippo) but not anything amazing. Excadrill, on the other hand, has 135 attack/88 speed, Steel resists, and a killer movepool. Throwing in Sand Rush on top of all this is downright unfair for in-game. One turn of setup is all it needs to sweep just about everything. Watching it outspeed stuff Drayden's Haxorus after a Dragon Dance was hilarious and ensured that I would 2HKO it first.

Sigilyph (Psychic, Air Slash, Energy Ball, Ice Beam): On the team for Magic Guard and for protection against Fighting and, to a lesser extent, Grass types. The offense is pretty nice as well, although Rock and Dark weaknesses are a bit of a bummer; it can't switch in safely versus Scrafty, for instance. I got a Life Orb from Pokemon Dream Radar just in time for the Elite Four, which is obviously wonderful with Magic Guard and gave it the power to ensure OHKOs on all of Grimsley's Pokemon besides Sturdy Sawk.

The last team member I'm planning on using is Sand Force Landorus, which sadly requires a trade. It comes at level 70 at base, so I'm not bringing it in until postgame because I still have some sense of shame.

I had one reset on this file, against Clay. That was in part due to not having a favorable type matchup against him, but mostly due to some incredible hax; he got a whopping 5 critical hits on my first attempt, and I didn't feel like itemspamming my way through THAT much bad luck. Second try, I won with zero KOs and zero healing items consumed. The rest of the gyms pretty much fell to simple type-matchups, save Drayden. Dragon Tail meant setup was out of the picture, but the speed boost on Excadrill/Stoutland made it go smoothly.

Excadrill had an easy time sweeping 3/4 of the E4, while Sigilyph crushed the Fighting guy. Champion took some more thought to face, since 5/6 of her Pokemon could hit Excadrill SE. Fortunately, Hippowdon had the HP to survive a Surf and Yawn her opening Hydreigon, which promptly fell asleep after KOing it. Excadrill then came in, Swords Danced on the sleeping dragon, and promptly swept her whole team with double attack and double speed. Yay for Sand Rush cheese.

Now for BW2's rather extensive postgame. Facing all the super-bosses in challenge mode with this particular team should be fun. I've got a Pokedex to complete as well; Gamefreak actually included some real, non-certificate rewards this time around, which might be the single biggest surprise in Pokemon history.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: November 17, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
Yawn isn't terribly useful for catching stuff for obvious reasons

:(

I have to ask: what reasons?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 18, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »
Sandstream is generally counterproductive when tring to catch Pokemon. Especially rare ones.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: November 18, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
So tt's Sand Stream that's bad for catching Pokemon, not Yawn, which just happened to be on your Sandstreamer; I was pretty much confused probably for the same reasons Elfboy was, frankly.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: November 18, 2012, 02:36:21 AM »
Perfect World:  So, the new 20v20 PvP instance is rather fun.  You should check it out Soppy.

The economy just crashed hard.  Current economy was based around a farmable endgame material called Rapture Crystals.  Which went for about 1.3m coins each.  After doing the new instance for 2 hours last night, I had enough of the new material thingys to make 235 Rapture Crystals at a cost of 10k coins each.  Things will pick back up when people figure out there are other things in the game to farm/merchant.  But right now the level of crying on the PWI forums is epic.

Black 2:  Beat all 8 gyms.  Team is Emboar, Fraxure, Leavenny, Unfeazant, Azumarill, Zoroark.  Surprisingly the three I keep in party for HM usage (Leav, Unfez, Azu) have been far more useful than the others.  Way to surprise me Gamefreak.  Also, Emboar sucks.  Hard.