imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234303 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2012, 04:37:25 AM »
Dark Souls: The only good thing about Blighttown is that the residents are even more prone to jumping off bridges than I am.

Oh, but I actually cleared out the asylum before going there. Stray Demon made me wish for a zoom out button. No screen has ever held this much ass. You can't hide from it! The only possible strategy is to stay behind him and jam a sword up his anus. I wish I was kidding. The moment the screen holds anything other than GIANT DEMON ASS you are probably going to die.

Vaguely embarassed at dying four times to Quelaag given how simple and obvious the proper strategy is there. At least one of those deaths I blame on GIANT SPIDERGIRL ASS blocking the camera when I was trying to navigate between pools of lava.

I'm just saying, someone on staff must have a fetish for spreading detailed abomination ass palettes all over the screen.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
FF 4 Hats of Light: So just got an Emo Legendary Hero to Join...or at least, the last ounce of Light left in his soul as we battle his own inner emo....

...again, this is the kind of stuff I'd expect to see in a DRagon Quest, not an FF game.  An FF game would be more likely to explain what's wrong with him, and your characters go to find something to raise his spirits.  A Dragon Quest would just create a filler dungeon to literally say "YOU'RE FIGHTING HIS DARKNESS BECAUSE WE CAN'T TELL A GOOD STORY."
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »
El Cid: You sound careful and observant enough.
You'll probably go up to the four kings or the final boss! You might even beat them!

Super: I've tried Option B before and still couldn't win.
Barrier is cool but very slow and Indy moves all over the place. Plus it makes me get hit by Divine Wave all the time (Not that it ever does any damage, but it slows the battle down. Really wish I could use long range skills without having Precis move right next to the enemy)

The PS2 is kinda unavailable so FM5 is out for now.

Dragon Warrior 2: Finished.
Remember when I said that I could find where to go and what to do on my own? That didn't last. The lategame is 100% ridiculous with the five crests and evil statue stuff.
The final boss has very high stats and feels completely luck based (there's a very good chance you might die even with a perfect strategy) This is exactly like all those other Dragon Warrior final bosses I don't like (-> DQ3/4r/5/6 final bosses) First time against him he did Big MT Spell 2x in a row, everyone pretty much died. At least he doesn't get doubleacting, and he's pretty much the only boss in the game.

AT least the Cave to Rhone was the highlight of the game, with good random formations and maddening dungeon design. Defeat, Sleep, Surround and Stopspell all saw a lot of use. I had to go get 3 heal shields, one for every character, just for the free healing.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:54 AM »
*Whips* Less talking, more getting a PS2 for FM5.

Indalecio's divine wave at full HP isn't very threatening if you have equipped for evasion. I think you can flat out petrify him before ToT.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »
Dark Souls: Today's first boss was Ceaseless Discharge, which sounds so much like a venereal disease that I refuse to believe the programmers weren't aware when they named it. I already knew the gimmick so it wasn't even a fight (although it WAS hilarious). I'll try and fight fair if I ever replay this just because the design, man, what the hell is that thing? Dark Souls has some pretty crazy boss designs, they deserve to be seen more than ten seconds (unless it's more giant demon ass).

I also refuse to believe Iron Golem is a Dark Souls boss. He must've snuck in from a Gust game after they fired him for being too easy. I even walked into that fight injured because someone had just invaded me (I ran into the boss room to escape the invader, who wasn't really threatening--he totally should've kicked me off when I ran past him on the bridge, missed opportunity there, buddy--but I could barely scratch him and dammit, I had a boss to fight). He threw something at me. It hurt a little. Then I poked him in the ankle until he died. What a lamer.

Sif was decent, though. Took a lot of blocking and prodding (and a couple deaths) to find a safe window. Well, one of the safe windows. There was obviously another I wasn't using--once or twice I survived the whirlwind attack by being right under Sif by sheer chance, but fuck if I'm deliberately trying to arrange that position when that attack can one-shot me. As with perhaps too many other fights, it ended with me miscalculating, getting stuck under the enemy, and panic-stabbing 'til I was out of stamina and the boss more or less coincidentally happened to be dead.

Presently running around in full stone armor set, which is pretty great (and perhaps more importantly looks fabulous) but doesn't seem to be upgradeable? I have to pump endurance a ton to use it, but hell, I need that anyway (I've largely ignored magic, outside of getting the basic pyromancy stuff with some spare souls).

(Completely random aside that occurs to me now: I never got rid of that random wall tentacle halfway down Blighttown, and I recall it was guarding some shinies. When I walked up to slash at it, it knocked me into the abyss, and ranged attacks didn't do anything. I left assuming there'd be some event trigger getting rid of it later, but evidently not. Hopefully it wasn't blocking anything cool? Because damned if I want to go back there.)

Anyway...some odds and ends to knock out and then Anor Londo, land of Amazing Chest, awaits. Also why did I let you out of jail Lautrec. What a jerk.

EDIT: Also, I massacred a family of hapless mushroom people today. I am a monster. I would've left 'em alone, but Pa took a swing at me when I tried to gank their treasure. It was all downhill from there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:54:26 AM by El Cideon »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2012, 04:10:37 AM »
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Pokemon Edition

Gotta catch 'em all! Basically, it's FF13, but with more stuff to do and Monster-recruiting.

The addition of Monster PCs makes the "Party Composition is the most important factor (and ignore things like what skill to use)" a much more interesting gameplay focus. With more options to consider when furiously switching Paradigms, the game is a lot more engaging.

Also, I can put an Orange Newsboy Cap on a Cait Sith.

Time Travel plot is fun and goes in the direction of "It's MAGICAL Time Travel, don't worry about how it works too much" that reminds me a bit of Chrono Trigger. It also allows for some awesome sequence-breaking! Character-wise, Serah is significantly more interesting when you get to decide most of her dialogue choices. The Tidus-clone, Noel, is just kinda there for now, but he's inoffensive. And apart from those two, you don't have any other PCs... just Monsters. So you have 3 PCs from the moment you catch your first Cait Sith.

Both PCs have access to the same 3 jobs (Commando, Ravager, Sentinel) from the beginning, and have to purchase the other three when they level up their Crystarium (which no longer has arbitrary Level Caps!!!!!!!!!!!!). Notably, Serah can unlock Medic and Saboteur from her first level up, while Noel can unlock Synergist and Medic. So there's a little bit of innate customization there, in addition to each PC's stat gains (Serah's innately better at Magic, Noel's better physically). And then you complement them with a set of 3 Monsters from your Pokedex. You can switch between these monsters just like switching Paradigms, though all three share the same Health bar (damage percentage carries over).

Overall fun, though the main villain is the biggest tool I've ever seen in Japanese media... and that's pretty impressive all things considered.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2012, 05:51:21 AM »
Yaay Djinn. Nice read~

I has a Silver Moon and a Spriggan Suit. I has my Dragon Shield. I has Rozario Impale and a Suzaku Junior. Asellus gets Asura, Dragon Shield and Rozario Impale, Lute has the Silver Moon/Triple Thrust and Rouge gets the Spriggan Suit. My L3 Combination attacks are doing 9000~ Life is good~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2012, 06:16:22 AM »
Needs more guns.  All the guns.  10 guns.  2 guns each.  The best.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2012, 06:20:47 AM »
I will use that strategy the day Deflect becomes a gun ability.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:58 AM »
Presently running around in full stone armor set, which is pretty great (and perhaps more importantly looks fabulous) but doesn't seem to be upgradeable? I have to pump endurance a ton to use it, but hell, I need that anyway (I've largely ignored magic, outside of getting the basic pyromancy stuff with some spare souls).

Nope, Stone's not upgradable.

(Completely random aside that occurs to me now: I never got rid of that random wall tentacle halfway down Blighttown, and I recall it was guarding some shinies. When I walked up to slash at it, it knocked me into the abyss, and ranged attacks didn't do anything. I left assuming there'd be some event trigger getting rid of it later, but evidently not. Hopefully it wasn't blocking anything cool? Because damned if I want to go back there.)

You don't see any damage being done to it because it's so darn huge the health bar is off-screen.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
Needs more guns.  All the guns.  10 guns.  2 guns each.  The best.

I like to have my guns point straight up in Resonance of Fate. Those cocky fucks on the top level are done judging me.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
I was actually talking about SaGa Frontier, but I will probably have to get back to RoF one day to appease the inner Rob.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »
I have guns but I don't know what to do with them! I currently have them on White Rose for some unfathomable reason~ Heat Bazooka and Thunderbolt I think. Rouge also has one but I dunno if he's a gunner~

I will use that strategy the day Deflect becomes a gun ability.

:)

Edit - Yaay the mermaid rejoined ^_^
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:49:11 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
Rouge is one of the best gunners in SaGa Frontier. Awesome learning rate, skill list and growths with that. Rule of thumb, if you have a mage, you can't go wrong with running a dual gunner/mage build.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:07 PM »
Guns are like the best weapon in the game.  Gun spam FTW.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »
Guns actually have a very shaky start and never really stand out for crowd control. Swords are more versatile throughout and defensively better, but require a bit more knowledge on the system (since the skill learning is more obtuse). The ST dominance on guns doesn't start until your gunner learns -at least- TwoGun anyhow, so the biggest draw of doing a mage/gunner is covering the versatility issue while not losing any of the stats mages like -and- getting stats magic doesn't give.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:17 AM »
Thunderbolt and HeatBazooka aren't actually "guns", but rather heavy arms that have unique attacks. They're still useful (particularly for mystics and mecs) but you can't learn gun abilities with them.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »
Shadow the Hedgehog: 6 endings down! 4 to go!

Game is so much faster if you can do a lot of neutral missions along the way, given the "Get to the end of the stage!" is generally faster than "kill x number of guys!" or "hit x number of switches!" and such.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2012, 03:33:16 AM »

You don't see any damage being done to it because it's so darn huge the health bar is off-screen.

Whoops, forgot that what the squido is guarding is a Pyromancy scroll.  Though you probably have it now or looked it up.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:12 AM »
Computer's been flat-out dead since this Sunday, so I'm having to borrow another comp and actually post on the forums for once.  Anyway.

Disgaea 4: People other than Desco actually exist playthrough

Yeah, I've put this off long enough--at least as far as having paused in the middle of reincarnation-releveling my generics.  Needless to say, with levels more spread out than in a Main Cast Only game, I've had to pull some interesting tricks to get through a lot of C7's fights.  It's notable that I have used a minimum of Item World, and have only stopped to level generics, none of the main cast.  And oddly fitting, they all hit L50 or so right before 7-8 (Death King Hugo's fight).  I'm probably underleveled, so there's going to be boss respect on my part at large (and I may have to stop to grind at a later point if things start jumping up in level again), but anyway, current cast (and some generics') impressions! (I'll go more in-depth if I make my own stat topic)

Valvatorez: He's good at long fights, that much is for certain.  That is, if he can survive to them.  Seems like everyone has glass cannon syndrome at this rate, and it hurts in Val's case.  Cross Demon Rush gives him some much-needed killpower, but the point is that his usefulness is entirely dependent on when he's deployed in the fight.  Absorption might change that a bit if I can funnel him some kills, but given how early he was targeted and killed off in 7-8, not sure how well he'll fare in later maps.

Fenrich: Awesome when Val's around, decent when he's not.  He's largely a single-target attacker who benefits massively from his first Evility--and is elementally-dependent for the most part.  I went fist route with him, and while he's nicely evasive, he also has problems inflicting damage outside of counter wars and Dual Canine Fist.  Not too bad, but could be better--if, for example, I could find a way to keep Val alive more often.

Fuuka: Was mediocre for a good bit of time, even with her amazing defensive Evility--largely due to accuracy woes and her damage being okayish.  Then she hit level 50, and R.I.P. gives her some much-wanted ST killing power and range(and axes are a thing to behold in Dis4).  Looks to be getting better now, looks hopeful.

Desco: Even without abusing Descozilla fusion, she's damn effective.  Solid evilities, good stat bases, and a good pair of area attacks make her always useful to say the least, but best in a crowd-control situation.  A bit lacking in single-target capability, and I'm not sure that'll be rectified at all, but her stats are good enough and she synergizes well enough with a Beastmaster that I don't really care.

Emizel: Kid honestly has nothing he needs to prove, he's been outright amazing through all of C7 in particular.  Access to spells of every element, plus the consistently best damage has him as MVP so far.  Requires care in his use, but holy shit he will absolutely wreck anything that has a weakness.

Vulcanus (no relation to the fat mustached one from the first game): No real surprise, she's the worst PC so far in terms of base abilities.  Hell, her stat tendencies even easily paint her as a healer more than a gunner.  Maybe it's a prerequisite of non-generic angel PCs?  However, her minor usefulness with guns has led to one interesting detail with her--she has flat-out awesome synergy with the Heart Cannon due to this; positioning is key here, but Support Attack is one of the best things in this game, especially since it lets me avoid grinding.

Death King Hugo: Yeah, not a PC, but worth consideration given that he's neither Axel nor one of the many souped-up generics in C7, and at least for me, his fight was pretty damn good.  AI's stupid (but Disgaea AI, not sure you can say much more than that,) but gets credit for moving into the fight while I was still dealing with Onmyo Monks and cleaning up stray Samurai.  Overall, pending on durability respect, I'd see him as either a Middle/Heavy or a Heavy.  The bouncers do inflate his defensive stats, though, so it's hard to really say, but even without them he's got support credit and the ability to completely nuke anyone's MP in one shot.  Spoiler, perhaps?  His music is the best battle theme I've heard in the game so far, at the very least.

Warriors: Tier 3 Warriors are a thing to behold.  Two words: Demon Annihilation.  First A-rank skill you can get, and reincarnation releveling can get you most of the needed Mana for that.  Aura Pyramid use can feed you the rest.  Fails against the fire-resistant, but everything else, it's awesome.  Would love Dragons' first optional Evility for the sizeable damage boost.

Valkyries: Valks go one of two directions with their weapons.  They either go for single-target attacks (Sword or Spear) or ranged crowd control (Bow).  I'd honestly say they're flat-out worse for raw power than Warriors, but that's not saying too much when they've got their own benefits (this does nicely illustrate the gap between B and A rank skills, however).  Shield Mastery isn't too bad, has its uses more with counter wars.  Throw it on a Nekomata for fun.

Skulls/Witches: Your magic users.  Come in four maingame varieties, this is readily obvious anyway.  Skulls are power mages, Witches can cast longer.  Due to this, Skulls have honestly seen more use for me so far.  Omega spells and above are very postgame, but Giga Fire/Ice/Wind/Star are useful enough on their own right.  As for their higher evilities...a...haha...ha...oh god where would one ever find 30,000 mana.

Beastmasters: For the most part, they're pretty good.  Combine the weapon options of a Warrior and Valkyrie, and give them easy synergy with a number of monster types, and they're generally useful.  Their Evilities and spells are all about boosting monsters, and throwing one next to Desco has easy benefits.  Power obviously goes down if you're not fielding any monsters, what with their weapon options opening up later than the classes they draw them from.

Shamans: status status status status.  They have literally every single status and statdown spell in the game.  If you work with that, they can be useful, but they're an absolute pain to level given their notable lack of raw damage-dealing ability.  As a sidenote, Dis4 statuses can't be stacked, so you can't pull off the sleep/paralysis+poison craziness that dominated Dis2.

Archers: Archers are, needless to say, impressive.  Not as far as raw damage ability, but more for accessible crowd control combined with Support Attack usefulness.  Really, you're not giving them spears, ever.  Just like you're not giving a gunner fists ever.  That aside, Spear Surfing and Doppelganger are good enough to go by, and Accel Shot has some usefulness.

Gunners: Read above about support attack and fists.  That, however, is the only use gunners really have aside from sheer range (Range 6 attacks are an awesome thing).  Throw one in a support attack chain, watch the other guy crit (autocrit if you grabbed the other Evility) every other attack and do that much more damage off of it.  They're good at what they do, they just don't do too much.

Heavy Knights: Try not to think of them as a class.  Try to think of them as a semi-mobile decoy with the added benefit of Throw 6.  They're too slow to really do much in a fight, so I don't give them much credit.

Mage Knights: They're Emizel-lite for the most part, trading in a lot of raw power for the ability to apply it over multiple targets, the ability to use swords, and better durability.  Nevermind the elemental affinity spells they're known for, they're solid in general.

Samurai: Physical glass cannons who focus on single-target damage.  Give them swords, that base Evility is wasted on bows.  Mind's Eye would be a nice one to give to any particularly evasive character, though.

Prinnies: Have Fuka throw them.  Enough said.

Nekomata: Pretty fun monster if you can work with them.  The ability to counter -anything- gives them some benefits.  They'd love to have something like Shield Mastery, though, just to make their counters that much better.

Succubi: Notable largely as a sort of red mage who gets something from all pools (Fire, Healing, and some status) and can actually use them all decently, special notice goes to the capturable Empusa in 5-4 who starts with, of all thing, Giga Ice.  Yes, you can capture her multiple times.  Yes, that is the sound of the game crying in agony from reincarnation abuse.

Reapers: Something tells me that someone in NIS wasn't pleased with how Reapers were in Disgaea 3, because they've gone from an averageish magic-using type to "holy shit" in terms of usefulness.  Very little's actually required on their part to make them good; their base Evility lets them destroy enemy SP pools without even half a thought.  Now consider how important SP is in this game.

Tree Giants: Haven't gotten any yet, but I can already tell from 7-7 that their regen has been nerfed from 10% MaxHP to 10% Current HP.

Dragons: Largely unimpressive aside from their insanely expensive first Evility and any toilet humor gathered from their first skill.  Move 3 is still a giant pain in the ass to work around.  Oh, and the worst affinity growth rate I have ever seen.

Baciels: Single-stat attacks with gun range make them the strongest Support Attack candidate in the game.  ...were it not for that 3 Move.  Their specials are largely unimpressive as well.

Chickens: Trolls.  Pure unmitigated trolls.  How else can you explain an auto-Silence aura and the fact that every single thing they use inflicts status of some kind, including the one that kills your EXP gains?!

Haven't messed around enough with the rest to pass a verdict on them, but I admit this is seeming easier to stat topic than Dis3 already, if due to actual grind maps.  Might see endgame as different pending on how much grinding I'll need to do to catch up, since I'm definitely underleveled right now (went into 7-8 at level 50-52 with Rank 18 items.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:17:21 AM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Divine Wave pretty much cannot hit my Precis ever, but it slows her down a lot, leaving him enough time to leave and cast one spell (or, most of the time, cast 3 other Divine Waves)
Petrification feels a bit cheap. I'll maybe go to the cave of trials later to get more levels / better equipment. But I won't try fighting him without the limiter.

Racist Robot SaGa: Beat Odin.
Money is useless now, so there's no use fighting random battles.
OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE has worked well so far, but any boss with good MT magic could make my team explode. My robots pretty much have 0 healing and 0 magic defense. I hope I get some magic boosting items for my robots,  because if the final boss is as good as in the original SaGa 2 I'm screwed.

Lego Harry Pooter 5-7: Playing with my girlfriend.
There's pretty much no challenge anymore ever in those games (... Not that I miss the shaky platforming from Lego Batman), they're just collect-a-thons. This is still pretty good for screwing around with someone who likes the HP series, but I wouldn't play the singleplayer.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
Dark Souls: You know, as challenging as this game is, I generally would not call it unfair. But Anor Londo sniper tagteam? That's fucking bullshit.

Anyway, at Ornstein and Smough. I'd been warned this fight is exceptionally tough, so I figured I'd bring Solaire with me (because I've not actually teamed up with him before). Go human, get killed by invader. Go human, get killed by invader. Go human, get killed by invader. I see I'm going to be playing in offline mode for a while. Wandered into the boss room a couple times anyway just to see what I was dealing with. Ornstein obviously needs to die first. He's harder to dodge and I can't really get away from the guy, so there's zero chance of me chipping down his friend as long as he's around. Problem is, he's also mister lightning face and my lightning spear isn't doing much more than scratching him.

So I figure I need to make a new weapon before going back in there. Despite being this far in the game, I don't know a whole lot about weapon upgrading and traits. First question, because it's been bugging me a while: the lightning spear (as with the drake sword before it) evidently doesn't get any damage bonuses from user strength/dexterity. Is this the case for all elemental weapons, or just these unique found ones? Otherwise...any materials I should be extremely careful about exhausting due to them being rare/finite? I don't suppose any special qualities can be grafted onto shields and armor as well? I'm still running around with a grass crest shield +5, because the stamina regen boost is invaluable and I can't really see swapping that out.

Also cleared out Ariamis after getting sick of Anor Londo...although I didn't kill Priscilla. Not going to attack someone who's just standing there politely asking me to leave. That's not how I roll, man. Especially when it's a giant dragon girl with a pleasant voice.

Have I mentioned this game has the most terrifying mimics ever? This game has the most terrifying mimics ever.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
Fenrir:

Something I noticed when soloing Iseria with Precis(Without Algol of course...and on Galaxy...mostly because "OMGWTFBBQ BOWMAN SOLOS ISERIA" was kinda an SO2 board meme at the time and I got sick of it...) is that Alley-Oop, disconcertingly, has stupidly good milage against the fast trucking enemies, because once the actual throw goes off it can't miss. It can be blocked...but not physically fail to hit the enemy.

I remember it helping a ton there, so it may help some against Indy?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:56:17 AM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
Dark Souls: You know, as challenging as this game is, I generally would not call it unfair. But Anor Londo sniper tagteam? That's fucking bullshit.

It actually used to be worse before they patched it.  The knockback would make you inexplicably move sideways and slide off the ledges.

So I figure I need to make a new weapon before going back in there. Despite being this far in the game, I don't know a whole lot about weapon upgrading and traits. First question, because it's been bugging me a while: the lightning spear (as with the drake sword before it) evidently doesn't get any damage bonuses from user strength/dexterity. Is this the case for all elemental weapons, or just these unique found ones? Otherwise...any materials I should be extremely careful about exhausting due to them being rare/finite? I don't suppose any special qualities can be grafted onto shields and armor as well? I'm still running around with a grass crest shield +5, because the stamina regen boost is invaluable and I can't really see swapping that out.

Fire and Lightning weapons (as well as some unique ones) don't get stat scaling, although their base damage is ridiculously high so it's a moot point unless you're fighting an enemy nigh-immune to them like Ornstein.

Did you get the Large Ember from the Depths?  Take it to the blacksmith right before Sen's Fortress and you can upgrade +5 weapons to +6 or Raw (pick "Modify Weapon" in the blacksmith menu).  Raw+5 is pretty easy to make at this point and would probably serve you well enough.  Put it on a high-damage weapon like a halberd and you should be good to go.

As far as rare ingredients go, Dragon Scales are rather hard to get, and Demon Titanite to a lesser extent.  And don't use anything with "slab" in the name unless you're really sure you want that upgrade.

Have I mentioned this game has the most terrifying mimics ever? This game has the most terrifying mimics ever.

Attacking chests is good for your health!  Also you can throw Lloyd's Talisman at them to put them to sleep (and loot them!).

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
Orcs Must Die: Into act 3 in Nightmare. Also started on the DLC levels. Double Trouble was pretty simple, but the reverse tower is a bit tricky. I can keep the mobs out of the rift fine, but then they kill the Apprentice and that's not cool.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.