Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234294 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
Hahaha I used those with Vanille for similar situations in FFXIII too ;D What levels were you for the first fight with Cauis Tal? I don't remember my exact levels before the fight but after upgrading my Crystarium back in the Historia Crux I now have Serah L38 COM, L38 RAV, L21 SAB, L6 SEN, LV1 MED and Noel with L40 COM, L40 RAV, L20 MED, LV 5 SEN, LV1 SYN for Noel. I've been mostly focusing on big MAG upgrades for Serah and STR/HP for Noel. As for monsters I have a maxxed out Pulse Knight, a L25 Cait Sith and a L15 Nekton in my current deck :)

I was in the 11-18 range for that fight.  I've been spreading out the levels more evenly than you have though.  My monsters ranged from 12-17.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
FF9 - How did I survive the 8 second ATB gauge!?!? This game is so goddamn slow. Nothing has happened like at all.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:58 AM »
FF13-2: Sunleth Waterscape (my third area, not sure how linear this game is). Game was too easy up to this point besides one optional fight in Bresha Ruins, but the boss here was pretty competent definitely. Finally had one reset in one of the randoms here although that was of course avoidable if I wasn't lazy.

CT: Yeah, I've also been keeping that monster around partly just for that reason, yay Slow. In general I probably need to take a closer look at what my monsters to do, I've also been using one as a Medic since the main PCs still haven't unlocked it (I grabbed SYN/SAB first, and then the ATB gauge upgrade).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 08, 2012, 12:47:29 AM »
Patroklos boya here is Sophitia's son, raised by Cassandra because apparently Sopthia died in SC4 but you'll never know that because the game never says that anywhere. 

Apparently Raphael killed her, even though the two of them don't even fight in SC4? I would assume it was because she dared to challenge the Thin White Duke, and he shows no mercy.

Rapheal was hunting after Soul Calibur in 4 so he shouldn't have been anywhere near Sopthia.  Unless that whole Nightmare-is-possessing-Rapheal's-body thing is true and the SC5 Rapheal in-game is actually now a ghost-vampire.

I think the answer to this is quite simple:

SOUL CALIBUR PLOT!!!

Man I know but even if something is bad dammit I want it to at least tell you everything so you can laugh at it!  Instead namco's whoring for money.  Again.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 08, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »
Never let it be said that just because something is bad that there isn't a right way to do it.  Fighting game plot may trend towards bat shit insane, but there is fans for that.  At least do them the favour of keeping that insanity consistent and cohesive.

I am disappointed that they still haven't made a game where canon ending is Voldo breaking Soul Edge on his face and turning into the new Nightmare so we finally have a Nightmare in a studded mankini jamming his junk in people's face.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #355 on: February 08, 2012, 01:17:33 AM »
Patroklos boya here is Sophitia's son, raised by Cassandra because apparently Sopthia died in SC4 but you'll never know that because the game never says that anywhere. 

Apparently Raphael killed her, even though the two of them don't even fight in SC4? I would assume it was because she dared to challenge the Thin White Duke, and he shows no mercy.

Rapheal was hunting after Soul Calibur in 4 so he shouldn't have been anywhere near Sopthia.  Unless that whole Nightmare-is-possessing-Rapheal's-body thing is true and the SC5 Rapheal in-game is actually now a ghost-vampire.

I think the answer to this is quite simple:

SOUL CALIBUR PLOT!!!

You don't tell David Bowie what to do.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 08, 2012, 05:52:39 AM »
Dragon Quest 4 Hats of Light:  So after an annoying fight with a Volcano boss who beat me once due to some status nonsense going his way, and me figuring out his gimmick later (or alternatively, just discovering how good a certain move was which basically IGNORES THE GIMMICK ENTIRELY AND NUKES HIM DEAD MWAHAHAHAH!), I get...a spell that gives you a bunch of Awesome Stat Boosts, is White Magic, Regen, and AP Boosting.  Umm...so where's the incentive to stop using White Mage again, whose already spamming Curaga every other turn?

Ok, so then I beat another status whore boss whose entire way of winning (despite hitting me with silence, confuse, etc. EVERYWHERE) was petrify...he then hands me a Status IMmunity Shield.   Gee, I wonder who that goes to! Oh wait, that means she can't resist elements without Capes, which I accidentally sold the Earth one already, I guess that su-...

*next arc beaten, get a Cape that resists all elements* ...NEVERMIND!

Then I get an Armor that is freaking sweet all around, yay, adding to the theme...actually goes to a different PC because the stat boosts probably work better on someone actually doing offense (and with resisting all elements AND immuning all status as is on a character spamming Curaga, its kind of hard to feel threatened ever)...

So with all this awesome shit, I'm looking forward to my next awesome legendary equip, which is probably a wea-*gets a HUGE FUCKING WHALE VEHICLE that is more or less obsolete due to already having a flying Dragon* ...:(

So yeah, I think I have like one more legendary equip to go.  I only know this because on my LIST OF HATS, there's a blank one in between some of the newer ones I got.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
Dragon Quest Monster Caravan Hearts: Just went through the DQ2 final dungeon again. Yep, this game takes place in the Dragon Quest 2 world for some reason!
No problems so far, except that one fight against badass warrior and badass mage (who had badass physicals) For the first time I started thinking I needed better skills instead of better stats. I fused my monster and gave him Upper. Cast it twice, boss physicals do 1 damage.
It's been my strategy for a while now.

Dinosaur with an axe was useful for a very long while (my first monster with speed!)

But since then I've been able to fuse even better five stars monsters. Now I have some shark with legs.

He looks wrong, but I can't say no to that +14 attack every level up. He even learnt Healmost.
I don't need additional healing or money anymore, so all the people in my caravan are badass fighters that do monstrous damage because my monster has monstrous damage.

Tales of Innocence:
Never played this game before, doing a Mania mode solo challenge right away, nothing could possibly go wrong.
Well, at least I know the battle system. (it's the same as TotA's)

I barely watch the first scene then fastforward through all the text. (L+R does this. I can do something else at the same time!) I like to know that everything is translated even though I don't read any of it. Pretty funny, considering that I was criticizing my little brother for not ever reading RPG plots and paying attention, when I was a kid.

There are two kind of random enemies at the beginning of the game:
- Blue things. I can beat them, but I basically need to make a visit to the inn after every battle
- Birds. They kick my ass, always.
I think I'll grind a little before getting anywhere else because this is not looking good.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
FF13-2: The REAL villain emerges.

This.... creature...

Has created the entire paradox of FF13-2. Having been driven out of the merchant business by a combination of the Fal'Cie and their incredibly efficient save points slash mechanized merchants, she is left destitute.  Her first career destroyed, Lina was driven to furry based prostitution to make ends meet. (See: image). This had the bonus effect of driving her insane and instilling with her a deep hatred of all things human *and* Fal'Cie,  making her a creature darkness beyond mortal imagination. With Bart and the Fal'Cie killed, she had her chance to strike.  Scattering the previous game's heroes to the wind, she then literally hops through the changed timeline and replaces the old merchant machines one by one, leaving the people to starve and do without by the millions.

The problems of starvation and struggling that we see in 13-2? EASILY FIXED WITH A MERCHANT SAVE POINT. But no. Chocolina had to have her blood profits, no matter the cost. Chocolina then makes it even worse, by taking the guise of a friendly merchant and following around the heroes at every point.  Why would she do that? The artifacts, duh. These objects of power are distortions in time, and help further the problems of the universe. By having them collected in one central point, Chocolina knows where they are. When enough objects are in place, she can easily backstab our poor heroes and leave them dead in some empty pocket of time, millions of years from anyone or anything they would know. Chocolina even admits to not being human to our adventures, who are too busy dealing with FF13-2's plot to see the the one constant in their travels- no, not Caius, but a single merchant girl who is somehow 'always' there when they need her.

Hopefully our heroes realize the face of *true* villainy before it's too late and put this time travelling menace down for good.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
FF9 - How did I survive the 8 second ATB gauge!?!? This game is so goddamn slow. Nothing has happened like at all.

We were all used to twiddling our thumbs during combat after FF7&8 summon animations.

~

Dark Souls: Finished. Final boss was brutal. The obvious cheap way to win is parrying, but oh my god I'm so bad at that. The first serious attempt I made at trying that I landed three in succession and tore off something like 60% of his HP, but that was a major fluke. Other attempts I couldn't even connect once. Usually "parry" is just a faster way of saying "Please end my miserable existence." So I did it the old-fashioned way, circle and get a jab in after an attack sequence, wear him down one rapier poke at a time. This was painful (didn't help that I went in with the wrong weapon the time I won). Seriously considered murdering the Anor Londo firekeeper for an estus upgrade, but resisted! That is not the way of the Cid. Perseverance paid off eventually. Well, that and a better shield.

Anyway, great game, Cids were thoroughly impressed. It's difficult but, with very few exceptions, I would not call it unfairly so. I wonder if it's just that most games released nowadays are incredibly easy that makes it seem so tough. Dark Souls is technically demanding, but when you die, it's generally your fault. You're obligated to exploit every possible advantage to survive. This is a conscious design decision they're totally up front about from the beginning. It is legitimately tense and frightening to play, which I don't think I can say about anything else I've played in years.

It also looks pretty damn great, I have to say. I might've bitched about getting tired of a few places, but there's a pretty healthy variety of environments to run through, most of which are seamlessly connected (the game only has loading screens when you die or, late in the game, warp). Even the places I probably complained about are pretty distinctive (Tomb of the Giants at least had going for it the fact of being terrifying. DOG SKELETONS AGHLE BLAGHLE). This is actually really nice, as it makes the world feel like one organically connected environment instead of just a bunch of disparate areas strung together for the purpose of progression. Find a good vantage point and it's very easy to see where things are in relation to each other. Dark Souls isn't big on plot, but it says plenty with its environments: it's all part of the same crumbling wreck of civilization.

There's a lot about the presentation that reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus. See above, see also the use of music (fantastic music, damn you antivoting heathens!) being largely reserved for boss fights and other major events. Also the generally minimalist attitude to storytelling. I've really come to appreciate this approach. The only real cinematic sequence in the game is the intro movie, which I admire for being completely straightforward and not bothering to justify anything. Seriously. Creation myths aren't about explaining stuff, things just happen back at the dawn of time, right? Dark Souls doesn't dump quadratically-increasing tonnage of backstory on you and expect it to automatically be interesting (hi Skyrim and your ten million books I ignored after the first couple hours of gameplay). It just cuts you loose with a modest amount of direction and lets you soak everything in. There is a definite vibe of fading grandeur and vitality to be absorbed from the perpetual sunset of beautiful, empty Anor Londo. Something else it shares with SotC: a bittersweet air even in victory. I'm not 100% sure what happened in the ending, but I would not be at all surprised if linking the fire incinerated your PC even if it did do what it was supposed to do, because that's just how Dark Souls rolls.

It's not perfect: there's plenty of FAQ-bait (pretty much anything relating to NPCs, rare drops); equip upgrades and (less importantly for me but likely frustrating to true completionists) achievements are built in a way makes 100% impossible to clear on a single run; inventory management can be a hassle (scrolling through dozens of weapons along a screen that only shows five at a time, ugh). But ultimately I think these are minor complaints. It is pretty easily the best thing I've played in the past year regardless.

Online stuff can be hit or miss. PVP only ever ended with me dying horribly, but I'm not all about PVP anyway. I actually did appreciate all the other details that come with online play. Encountering phantoms, messages from other players, bloodstains from where other players died--all this stuff is actually pretty nice just for assurance that yeah, this is tough, but you're not really alone out there.

Boss death count! Because Dark Souls. I can put this in a spoiler box if people want. I don't see much reason to since DS isn't all that much for plot and if you can't tell you'll be fighting a few specific people just from the intro, well, you haven't played many videogames, but hey.

Asylum Demon: 1. ("Haha stupid boss, can't hit me up here, can you?" *SPLAT* "...Oh. Oh, you can.")
Taurus Demon: 0. (Guest-killed.)
Moonlight Butterfly: 2. (1: Running into boss room to flee giants, low on healing. 2: Jump into fireball instead of rolling. Argh.)
Bell Gargoyle: 4.
Capra Demon: 12-16? (I was too filled with rage to keep an accurate count.)
Gaping Dragon: 0.
Stray Demon: 3.
Chaos Witch Quelaag: 4.
Ceaseless Discharge: 0. (Gimmick killed.)
Great Grey Wolf Sif: 2.
Iron Golem: 0.
Crossbreed Priscilla: N/A. (Not really my style to fight people who aren't attacking me.)
Dark Sun Gwyndolin: N/A. (Didn't fight him, though I may if I replay this. The Wizard of Oz act does not inspire trust.)
Ornstein and Smough: 3.
Pinwheel: 0.
Four Kings: 1.
Gravelord Nito: 0.
Demon Firesage: 0.
Centipede Demon: 2.
Bed of Chaos: 7. (At least I got plenty of demon titanite from making that run repeatedly.)
Seath the Scaleless: 5. (Four of these were me being a dumbass and expecting the rest of the game to fold just like Nito.)
Gwyn, Lord of Cinder: 10. Ow.

So yeah, this was a blast, will clearly have to give Demon's Souls another shot at some point. I guess it just wasn't what I was in the mood for at the time (or it just didn't have awesome music, something which sells me on a game perhaps more than it should). Dunno about new game+ in Dark Souls. That is basically just your existing PC cycling through the game again but with souped-up enemies? So just like before but with more dying? I'd be more inclined to run a new PC just to try a different build.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:42:32 AM by El Cideon »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 09, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »
Glad you took the jump to play Dark Souls and enjoyed it that much, El Cid. It's honestly my favourite game, difficulty only being a small part of what makes it great.
Demon's Souls is less good (there are 5 distinct worlds with a hub, there's less balance, healing is handled poorly) but still worth playing.
The seamlessness in the world is crazy. You can die in the forest, then go up to Sen's Fortress and see your bloodstain down below! It's not even something that was hyped anywhere.

NG+ is that yeah. Comparatively, enemies do a lot more damage and die more quickly. Since you're used to the game and have access to 20 flasks right off the bat, you should die a lot less in NG+. I found playing as another role to be more fun and difficult than NG+, honestly.

I'm not sure I understand - Did you lit the bonfire in the end after beating the final boss?

Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Hearts:

Finished. There's aftergame, but so far it's kinda meh.
Here is the ENTIRE PLOT of the game:

King: Child abuse! Fun!
Child Kiefer: ...! *hides*
Master of Illusion: I am the master of illusion! I will teleport you to the DW2 world, which also includes the DW1 world. Isn't fanservice great? By the way, fetch me some stuff and I'll grant your wishes! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Child Kiefer: *fetches some stuff, this being the entire game*
Master of Illusion: You fell into my trap! NOW I AM ALL POWERF... *gets trampled by an elephant with ridiculous stats*
Child Kiefer: *teleports back*
King: NVM, child abuse is bad.

Roll credits.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:44:29 AM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 09, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »
I'm not sure I understand - Did you lit the bonfire in the end after beating the final boss?

Yep. Didn't except any real good to come from this both because of what I'd heard about there being no real "good" ending and because Frampt wanted me to do it (no one who casually talks about people having outlived their usefulness can be reliable).

Ohshit my boss lineup is missing Pinwheel must fix.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 09, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »
RS3.12 - Demonbrand get! Now Grey has outlived his usefulness. *dumps
The fight with Katana Oni let be blinked a couple new techs, but why Alkaiser refuse to learn any new Hero Moves?
Though, hasn't got to the required HP to get Asellus rejoin yet. But now Byunei has attacked, I'l go clean up all the event that requires me going inside the Roanne Castle.
Then I'll deal with Byunei and the Drgon Eye event in one go after that.

And... I didn't expect Super to hate Lina this much to the point of fabricating facts.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
My lips are sealed~

People really have to discover the truth of her themselves ^_^

FFXIII-2: Academia 4XX. Just received the Graviton Core fetch quest. I already have two in my inventory. Also accepted the Monster Professor quest and did two Brain Blast trivia challenge games while in the city. Fun fun~

Augusta Tower was obnoxious though >_> Got stuck there for a while trying to figure out the way forward to the final floor while obnoxious enemies kept obnoxiously spawning in my face while I tried to figure out the situation with the puzzle switches and the platforms to/between the different rooms including solving it so they were set right so I could go where I was supposed to go. I kept losing track especially since enemies would keep respawning before/after I'd hit a switch and the darn game wouldn't just let me run away when all I wanted to do was hit the switch and see if I'd aligned the platforms/other rooms right yet. All hitting Retry did is have enemies respawn basically right back in my face again. Enemies in this place are practically unavoidable more or less and at times they can attack you practically right as they materialise too.

Scenes/boss fights on the top floor were cool though! Touching scene with Yuel/Caius and amusing Live Trigger events shortly after.

Glad there was a break with the city after this though. Good place to put it I think!~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »
Final Fantasy 4 heroes of Light:  I fought the final boss 4 times, and every time my losses were due to some random factor, be it "he used Black Hole two turns in a row...no, we don't care if there's literally no way to defend against this, and it fucks you over!", or in the very last run that was looking good for a while...
"Oh, that character is now absorbing an element?  I thought she was nulling it!  I GUESS I CAN HIT HER WITH A SECONDARY STATUS ON THIS MOVE NOW :P" which led to a bunch of shit that resulted.  Yes, that's right; the game PUNISHES you from upgrading from "Null Element" to "Absorb."  Why does it work this way?  Because the game decides that Nulling = Missing, instead of the usual "0 damage"...

...which is something Dragon Quest games do.  You know, Dragon Quest games have a "The move misses!" indicator if you do 0 damage, leading to things like Metal Babbles having seemingly higher evade than they really do (which is more just them having really high defense, and the game treats 0 damage and misses the same.)  Yeah, this game seems to do the same, though often when you can't overcome defense, its "do 1 damage" but alas.

...this game is seriously a Dragon Quest that was changed to Final Fantasy mid-development and given an FF paint job and it shows.  Let me count the ways...

-Fetch Quest Based plot
-Limited Inventory divided among PCs (instead of just a universal one)
-Clunky Menus
-Shitty Interface
-Space Flea from Nowhere Final Boss whose basically just "INCARNATION OF EVIL!!!" whose also the main villain, with no herald figure (like, say, Golbez) to at least play the role of a consistent antagonist, for at least SOME Good Guy vs. Bad Guy interaction
-Speaking of which, an army of one scene wonder henchman who pretend to have a lot of plot but actually don't, who exist to just have boss fights (at least the FF1 Fiends had BACKSTORY.  That's more than these losers can say)
-Games refusal to tell you a shit load of hidden stats and factors.

I could go on, but the game is a Dragon Quest, not a Final Fantasy.  Anyone who says "its a great way to capture old school RPGs!" has issues, because no, it illustrates like every problem that existed in the NES era that we've moved on from...FOR A GOOD REASON. 

And to make matters worse, who in god's name thought making you unable to target manually was a good idea?  The AP system is at least unique for strategy, but strategy is mitigated when you don't have full control of your PCs.  And bosses are clearly designed with randomized AI too, outside of HP triggers.  You can go through an entire fight, lose at the very end, prepare to avoid that scenario, only to see him whip out a move he didn't have the previous fight COMPLETELY out of nowhere at the beginning of the fight.  And the way later fights are structured, you can get screwed on turn 1, if you don't do things exactly.

The game does have a Job system which is...alright, though kind of misses one of the fun factors of the Job system (ability to mix and match skill sets), without any sort of compensation factor (FFX-2, for example, made up for it by letting you swap jobs mid-battle, allowing you for a different kind of variety with the system.)  The job system is poorly executed in that the balance is kind of blech, and at times it feels like you outright need certain jobs to beat certain bosses.  Not to mention, again, the game doesn't tell you all significant factors for a job, like apparently all jobs have hidden weapon and magic affinities like, say, Suikoden 2/4 Rune affinities.  So you can equip someone with a bad-ass sword and they'd have high strength, but you'd see them do shitty damage and question why.

See, here's another problem with the system are those affinities.  In most other job systems (FF3/5/T most specifically), the game just says can you equip y/n?  If you can equip a Sword, you're good with swords, and now its your stats that determine the rest (ie a Blue Mage can use a Sword, but obviously a Knight does it better because of much higher strength), if you can't, then you can't use a Sword unless you equip a skill that lets it.  Pretty logical stuff!  Because I mentioned it earlier, FFX-2 just side steps the entire equipment issue by not having conventional equips outside of accessories, so you never have to worry about that (which is also an acceptable way of handling the scenario.)  Here, though, your Black Mage can use a Sword just like your Bandit can, but there's no way you'd know the Bandit had higher affinity in it, and you'd just assume he was doing more damage because of much higher strength.  So when your Ranger starts doing less than Bandit despite the strength scores with the same weapon, you suddenly scratch your head.  Ok, the game does tell you for SPECIFIC JOBS that they're "Good with this weapon!", but that to me is the game's way of saying "They have an S rank in that weapon, it is special, USE IT!" 

For a different kind of flaw...
The game lacks a central main character, and is clearly an ensemble (the name is kind of not subtle about that.)  This isn't a flaw in and of itself, but the way its handled is and I'll get to why.  See, like FF6, FF8, FF9, and FF13,  there's constant character splits and you're forced to deal with only some characters for the first half of the game.
At first, this isn't too bad when you have only Brandt and Yunita after Jusqua and Aire leave early, because shortly afterwords, you get a Temp PC.  Ok, cool, if the game is handing me temps to fill in empty gaps, I can live with a party split, as my team won't feel as hindered...

...the problem is its not consistent about this.  After your first temp leaves, you don't get another until a few hours later when one of your PCs is crippled by a hex (not that the stat loss is notable enough at this point) and you only get 2 more Temps, one of whom joins for not even a full dungeon, so often you're left with only 2 PC teams and in a game that keeps introducing jobs fast, it doesn't really let you get a good chance to experiment when you only have 2 PCs.

But the fail doesn't end there.  See, the game doesn't balance the PCs properly either.  I don't mean stat wise, I mean EXP wise.  You get Brandt and Yunita used for a while...ok, then Jusqua and Aire get to be used, so they catch up...fair.  Its not too bad as characters are dealing with different areas allowing for enemies to be balanced properly around lower leveled characters catching up...

...that is until late in the first half of the game.  Brandt is split from his ally just as an excuse for a cheap plot device, so he's gotta go solo for a little while.  This isn't too bad because Brandt has been used for some time now, he's leveled up fine, with up to date equipment, so he can deal the updated enemies solo well enough if set up fine...
Then Jusqua decides to leave his teamate for NO GOOD REASON, and you haven't been using him for a while, so he's both behind on equipment with no chance to catch him up UNLESS you knew this scenario was coming ahead of time and put stuff in storage, and he's underleveled, and he's basically about to fight the exact same enemies Brandt fought...solo.  So enemies yo were cruising through 5 minutes ago are now kicking your ass and there's nothing you can do about it...

...did I mention that "run" is a Job skill?  Because it is, on one of the worse Jobs in the game (Wayfarer, your first Non-Jobless Job.)  Uh, yeah, "Run" being a Job skill fails for obvious reasons since its a BASIC ABILITY in games not FF3o.  No, I don't mean "Escape", as in "100% Run" like Tidus and Zidane's Flee, or what the FF5 Thief gets, I mean GENERIC RUNNING.  You get Escape too, and that's fine as a Job skill! BUT RUN SHOULD BE A BASIC FUNDAMENTAL "ATTEMPT TO GET OUT OF A STICKY SITUATION!" ability.  FINAL FANTASY 1 GOT THIS RIGHT THIS GAME HAS NO EXCUSE!!!

Honestly, I could go on and its really hard to think of anything this game does right.  Cool boss designs are smacked by the stupid randomness of the system (random variance is all over the place), neat concepts are hit by Dragon Quest level polish, etc.

What's the game getting?  I'm angry enough at it to give it a 2/10, but that might be a bit harsh, but its not getting above 3/10, that's for sure.  Yeah, the game is just bad, and "IT REALLY CAPTURES OLD SCHOOL STYLE GAMING GREAT!!!" is true in that "NES RPGs were shit.  So glad we're out of that era."

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »
RS3.12 - Cat's quest is completed. So is the Dragon's Eye. Good bye to you too Sif! *Dumps
Went on and destroyed Byunei with Gwan after that. Since this is a fight using Gwan, Byunei sucks by nature.
Now I have access to the lab! Yay, lean new techs for free!
Red also learned on more Hero tech. Seriosuly, it took him this long just to get Deflect Lance? And I don't even hace Kaiser Smash yet.
The HP is still not at the point for Asellus to rejoin, but I'll probably be there after I get the Holy Grail, so off to Leonard's Castle I go.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »
FF13-2: Got to the Archylte Steppe, missed where the game wanted me to go went exploring, found enemies that destroyed me. Some things don't change.

I am currently using three monsters: Nekton (Ravager with slow), Cait Sith (medic yay), and Clione (offensive synergist yay). Serah mainly RAV/SAB with some COM/SEN, Noel is more boring and uses his high Atk to COM things, but is also the defensive SYN. My main problem with my current team is I have no mechanical monster to use up those items but shrug, maybe an appealing one will show up.

Most of the design changes from this game make it feel like a step back from FF13 but it's still quite enjoyable certainly. It and FF9 being played side-by-side in this household at the moment leaves very little doubt as to which game is better!~

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
El Cid: You can get most of the plot from item descriptions and meeting Kaathe in the abyss (by fighting the 4 kings before placing the lordvessel)
Spoilers

You got tricked into essentially becoming the guardian of the flame (like Gwyn was) by Fraampt and Genevievre, who's actually an illusion created by Gwendolyn. (I guess that's why she's so big compared to the other giants)

Kaathe works for the dragons (the ones who get their asses kicked by the gods in the prologue)  To follow his plan you must kill Gwyn and leave after the final battle instead of touching the flame. This makes you follow the prophecy of the pygmy (your ancestor) and become the dark lord. This is kinda like the true demon ending in Nocturne and could be seen as the good ending, because the gods are jerk anyway. But honestly, I don't think Kaathe and his dragons ruling would be a very good thing for anyone. And dark lord doesn't sound good, even if it's meant in a literal way here. (No fire = darkness)

As a neat touch, in Demon's souls there are six archstones that lead to six different places (the main levels of the game) Unfortunately, one is broken and you can't do anything about it in the game. It was supposed to lead to the northern lands... Dark Souls is the missing level from Demon's Souls.

Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Hearts Solo: The aftergame is pretty bad, you're supposed to go all around the world to find stuff yet there's no holy water available to eliminate crappy random encounters. So much tedium. Fortunately my monster is a metal slaying level 30 stat god.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
FF13- Just working on the Ores sidequest. Whoever thought throwing in more fetchquests to FF13 was a good idea deserves to be shot. Gameplay is way worse across the board. Fuck Augusta Tower and Academia 400 in particular for this. No, game. Unavoidable randoms that spawn during puzzles is not good design. .

On the flip side, even the deep voiced villainous wanker is getting development, and the entire cast has been enjoyable outside of Alyssa.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2012, 04:26:26 PM »
Re: Super rants on Chocolina

...and here I thought I couldn't like her any more than I already did.

Dear Super,

Please Write a Bonus Match-type write-up about Chocolina.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
FF9 - Going to the Outer Continent. For some reason. Can't wait to get UNCLFKR so we can have an emo rivarly.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »
FF13- Just working on the Ores sidequest. Whoever thought throwing in more fetchquests to FF13 was a good idea deserves to be shot.

FF fans.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »
FF13- Just working on the Ores sidequest. Whoever thought throwing in more fetchquests to FF13 was a good idea deserves to be shot.

FF fans.

The amusing part is that FF games since FF4 have been far less fetch quest heavy...

...except for FF12...which is less "fetch quests" and more "huge amounts of gameplay with little plot progression", and is also regarded as the "most different" FF in the series.

...so yeah, unless they're huge fans of FF1-3, I find the hypocrisy here quite amusing! (this is not aimed at you, Tal, more the hilarity of people asking for shit that actually is NOT the norm in the series)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
RS3.12 - There is certainly a lot of things to do in Leonard's Castle. Asellus rejoins, got the Emerald and Holy Grail. Also blinked a few more techs by fighting Yami. And yes, Red finally blinked all his hero tech outside Al-Phoenix and Final Crusade.
Fetched the Ice Magi after that.
Also started chasing Jackle, time to collect all the Holy King items.
And just noticed this patch does not have Iron Will, shock. I'll have to prepare some substitues.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
Fenrir: Well that pretty easily clarifies whether or not I'm killing Gwyndolin when I replay this! And yeah, I had never even spoken to Kaathe, which I will certainly be doing next time.

Mrgh, already inclined to replay this in a different class. Presumably would go much faster with advance knowledge of the game. I barely used magic at all (just Iron Flesh for a couple bosses, and the occasional fireball) so would presumably run a caster. EDIT: Hmm, cleric or sorcerer?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:24:20 PM by El Cideon »