Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234252 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
Lots of things you might expect of me (Starjewelled) and...

Back a little bit to Upgrade Complete

Still can't seem to beat the game with mono Lightning SCC.  They're just lacking the DPS it feels like.

Gun SCC is still kind-of hard.

Beating the game with a ship costing no more than $30,000 (less than some fully upgraded parts) is...still not that bad.  (And I ended up with 8 guns, 4 missiles, which makes the fact that the gun SCC is hard kinda weird).

Partially I just wanted to test this game on a faster computer.  See...last time I played I noted that guns had the most DPS, but mass guns didn't actually kill things all that quickly.  Now, what I had concluded was there was a cap on the number of bullets that can hit a target in a frame, and wondered if a faster computer would make the Gun SCC fairly easy--apparently not, it's the game design working here, and not the speed of my computer.

Played a little Upgrade Complete 2 as well.  I...see what they were going for, but I'm also not really feeling it.  Partially it's just a much more complex system that I'd have to learn if I wanted to min-max it.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #526 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
Quick, Ciato - get with super and do a writeup of the differences between FF9's Elemental Fiends and FF1's.

Alternately... Meeple, GO!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 28, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »
Quick, Ciato - get with super and do a writeup of the differences between FF9's Elemental Fiends and FF1's.

Alternately... Meeple, GO!

FF1 fiends are largely cannon fodder; the scary parts of the game are the randoms.  Best boss in the game is likely a large group of wizards or Chaos, depending on your party composition. Kary and Lich can be trouble if you're beat up by the dungeon, but are pretty beatable if you get to them in good shape.

Finished PSX version of FF1. Final  level was 29.  Boss HP doubled between the versions of FF1 and with the exception of Lich, the plot bosses frailer due to Temper/saber spam. Chaos suffers from the same problem Lich does. He has some excellent moves, but his skillset has a lot of crap in it. Too easy to get buffed up and cut him to ribbons.

Holy crap is endgame magic a total wasteland, though. Wall got used once (To protect my non ribbon user against Chaos) and Full life was quite good. The rest was varying shades of overpriced. Black Wizard gets exactly one unique spell worth giving the slightest of fucks about (Nuke) and that's pretty limited by how late you get access to it. If it weren't for RM not getting revival until post class change and the volcano/ice cave being the hardest dungeons in the game, I'd say WMs were completely skippable.  Dia is replaceable by Fire spells and Heal... enemies in FF1 don't tend to let you use it much. Bosses don't have threatening MT, and the randoms that do tend to overwhelm you before it's useful.  But man, the nastiness of those two midgame dungeons justify using a WM.  There's also the early part of the game where potions are a little expensive, but eh. Cure 2 is equal in price to 25 potions, so it isn't like you aren't better off going with items then.

This version, I'd say class balance is:

Fighter>>Red Mage>>>White Mage>Black Mage>Monk>>>Thief

NES is

Fighter>>>>>>>>Red Mage>>White Mage>>>Black Mage>Monk>>>>>>Thief

Dawn of souls is...hell. (Assuming you do the side areas, which have some challenge. Main game is so easy that it doesn't matter)

Monk>White Mage>Black Mage>>Fighter>>Thief>Red Mage

Fighter is just straight up worse in this version. New equipment closes the tankiness gap between him and the other PC's. On top of that, resources don't matter. You can buy Ethers and Phoenix downs in Pravoka for a trivial sum of gil. That plus Fira and Temper means you are going to buzzsaw everything in sight until at least the fire cave. He also has MDef issues now, on top of being the clear second best attacker for the entire game.   Red Mage is also much worse. The change to the INT system means that his attack and healing magic are much worse than the other mages, and he's left in the dust as an attacker by Monk, Thief, and Fighter. You also want a black and white mage anyway, so there isn't really any payoff for his hybrid style.

Monk is your best attacker; much higher levels make his bare fists much stronger. Thief sucks less due to having excellent accuracy and new equips, but he's still a watered down fighter. Higher levels mean that fighter and thief both slam into the hit cap late, and storebought Temper/Haste potions mean his magic is moot. Black Mage can OHKO randoms with elemental 2s for the vast majority of the game and has enough MP to spam spells. WM is a must have for the bonus bosses, as you really want the elemental nulls/Heal there. She has enough INT to be good at itemcasting as well.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
Found a vender that sells the humanity restoration item. It costs ten thousand souls (and I am guessing the stock is limited). Keep on trollin', From Software.

It's either limited or refreshes when you have none of the Stones.  Also the price rises as you level.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
FF13-2: So just did a tower in 300 AF.  Then tried to fight Atlas without activating the thing...that didn't go over well, so just redid it the way I did before.  Then saw I would have to replay all the areas I did before and was about to swear until I saw a nice "Open Gate" option that just sets things back to the way before, and all was well!

...that was a big scare moment though <_<;
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
In Demon's Souls I've pretty much kept the 75% health ring the whole game. Even in human form, just for convenience.
Demon's is pretty much straight up worse than Dark in every way IMO, but there are a few very nice touches. Old Monk, the valley of defilement, the prison, Lautrec's spoilerish predecessor, etc. Invasion and co-op are a lot simpler too.

So, Deus Ex Human Revolutions.

Third boss fight was a pain. I'm an idiot so I went to the clinic earlier (Why not? free stuff!!!!) and got punished for it. I must say, this is one of the best plot choice with actual gameplay consequences in an RPG. Bioware would not have the balls to do something like this.
So anyway I'm on hard mode, with a stun gun, a submachine gun, a laser rifle, a heavy gun. They all suck, and I can't use my overpowered typhoon with its absurd amount of charges I've gathered.
After about 30 tries I just stunlock him with the stun gun.
Shoot, run behind him while reloading, shoot again. He dies. Awesome.

I had no idea of what I was doing against the final boss, but I won.
So there's a button, ok I press it, there are two others buttons, I press them too. They seem to do nothing. Hack that level 3 thing, I get attacked by turrets, so I hack the level 5 thing that's unprotected instead. Random enemies start appearing? I start shooting but then out of nowhere the floor gets electrified and they all die. Ok I have no idea what happened there. Repeat twice. Uuuh what to do... Shoot the girl? Battle won.

This seems to be the game built for replays, but it fails badly at that.
In Fallout, you need 70 Repair to fix your TV. You need to invest in Repair as the game goes on. In Human Revolution, only hacking level 1 through 5 works like that. If you get the Punch through wall skills, and you'll be able to punch through any wall in the game. Most of the augments only marginally help with stealth, combat, or hacking, and aren't necessary to do anything.
In practice, you'll probably  get all the skills that are needed to go to certain places (jump higher, punch through walls, hacking level 5, electricity immunity...) really, really early, and you'll still be able to do either stealth or combat rather well.

In short, you have options, but very soon you can do everything and choices suddendly don't matter. It's not like Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol or Fallout where you need to stick to a build for the whole game. It sometimes felt kind of sad to see developers put so much effort into giving the players passwords all the time when hacking is always so cheap and so easy, or into creating a ton of alternative routes when I could do them all...

Nevertheless, this was a long enough game, and this should please completionists I guess.

I'm not good at talking about plot. But the plot stuff is great. The world building and character design were near perfect, but the game unfortunately railroads the player with its cutscene sometimes. The worst example being Jensen getting seduced and trapped by one of the Big Bads.
The LA Noirish sequences were worthwhile most of the time, and sidequests were all very focused and great.

I also had way too much fun removing every fridge from every apartment. 8/10.

Tales of Innocence Luca Solo Hard Mode: I think I am immortal now.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:18:27 AM by Fenrir »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 29, 2012, 01:20:10 AM »
Deus Ex boss spoilers if you care:

All three boss cyborgs can be beaten with nothing but using the stun gun over and over.  But the third boss can be beaten with... wait for it... a single takedown.  All you do is hit the B button repeatedly while he's jumping over a wall.  Instant win.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #532 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:35 AM »
ME3 demo-

I think I want my multiplayer character to be a Krogan Battlemaster named Hull Krogan.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:36 AM »
Yeah that's a pretty good thing to want.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:02 AM »
Demon's Souls: "We lead humble lives. Leave us be." So this is where the one decent song was hiding! Repetitive, but very effective in context. I am guessing this is the one and only time the game tries to do anything dramatic, but at least it worked. Poor Garl, thwarted by low ceilings and a refusal to go on the offensive. Understandable given you're a bodyguard, but doesn't work out so well when your opponent has a regen ring and you don't. Immensely glad I've been pumping vitality--his parries left me at like 10hp.

Shrine of Storms, blah blah blah. Not a lot to say here. Circle Adjudicator, shoot in head with arrows. Tank out Storm King's manta ray missiles, shoot in head with arrows. I actually stayed human all day today. Four bosses and I didn't die once. What is this tomfoolery! And some people say this is harder than Dark Souls? I am guessing that has a lot to do with them playing Demon's Souls first. Coming into this knowing exactly what all the stats do and how to build the character I want has undoubtedly helped immensely (I certainly made plenty of flubs on that front first time through Dark Souls).

I presume 2-1 is the infamous armored spider, as I haven't seen him yet and Stonefang is the only area I haven't done much with (I've got invaded twice just going there to buy supplies, also fat clown pyros are jerks).

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 29, 2012, 02:32:17 AM »
Demon's Souls: "We lead humble lives. Leave us be." So this is where the one decent song was hiding! Repetitive, but very effective in context. I am guessing this is the one and only time the game tries to do anything dramatic, but at least it worked. Poor Garl, thwarted by low ceilings and a refusal to go on the offensive. Understandable given you're a bodyguard, but doesn't work out so well when your opponent has a regen ring and you don't. Immensely glad I've been pumping vitality--his parries left me at like 10hp.

Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to survive his parries.

EDIT: Huh, not closing quote tags results in everything quoting.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:45:41 AM by Fudozukushi »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 29, 2012, 02:33:56 AM »
I've been dumping levels into nothing but vitality and endurance since I noticed strength boosts get me a whopping extra point of damage per attack. So yeah, it is. (Would not have been survivable if I wasn't human, mind.)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:28 AM »
Went back and did a challenge I remember doing before with Upgrade complete.

Namely:

1. You can never fail a wave.
2. You can take only one cash action between each wave.  (i.e. buy a new part OR buy an upgrade).

My successful order went something like...

(You start with 2 guns)

2: Missiles (1)
3: Missiles (2)
4: Gun (3)
5: Gun (4)
6: Missiles (3)
7: Missiles (4)
8: Gun (5)
9: Gun (6)
10: L2 Missile (1)
11: L2 Missile (2)
12: Gun (7)
13: Gun (8)
14: L3 Missile (1)
15: L3 Missile (2)
16: L2 Gun (1)
17: L2 Gun (2)
18: L2 Missile (3)
19: L2 Missile (4)
20: L3 Missile (3)

Which is really weird when you think about it (I spent about as many levels on Missiles as Guns, but I needed an 8:4 ratio before it seemed to be effective?  How odd).

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 29, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
Rob: I will be severely disappointed if you don't.

re Demon's Souls: 2-2(?) I believe it is had the absolute most aggravating boss in the game (for some builds), if I recall right. It took Capra Demon to piss me off that much again.

Mass Effect 2: Zaeed loyalty achieved. I want to take a moment to say, however, that Mordin's loyalty mission? Probably one of the better sequences in gaming, period. They do more with him in that bit than most games do with characters in their entire length.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 01, 2012, 03:44:37 AM »
It took Capra Demon to piss me off that much again.

Well, at least I'm not alone in being driven to controller-tossing rage by that fight.

~

Demon's Souls: Killed Penetrator. Died once because his super attack of rape tossed me into a corner and then the boss followed me into the corner and I couldn't move. Wandered through Boletaria until a dragon showed up and perched above the only forward path. Okay I guess I'll come back here later. Went to Stonefang, killed an armor spider. I can see this being hard when fought reasonably early in the game! At level 60, however, I can block everything, just walk up and cut it to pieces. 2-2 is kind of ugh what horrible. Once I hit a lava swamp with no obvious exits, I just warped out instead of fumbling around further (have I mentioned I've only found that one egress item the entire game? I've only found that one egress item the entire game), since I had a bunch of souls to spend and, for once, what seemed like a decent amount of weapon upgrade materials (it got me one upgrade for a weapon I rarely use. Have I mentioned Demon's Souls is offensively stingy with upgrade materials? At least I got a fire sword out of the ordeal, though). Did not want to make the trek back down there tonight (there aren't any shortcuts are there ffff) so I went back and killed Maneater now that I had a (slightly) better weapon. This was harder than it should've been because...

Have I mentioned that world tendency is an incredibly stupid idea? World tendency is an incredibly stupid idea. Gameplay element with arcane rules, scarcely controllable by the player, which can have the effect of powering up enemies and boosting their HP. One of the ways world tendency gets skewed towards the black (tougher enemies) end of the scale? The player dying when human. The game doesn't care how you die, just that it happens. Making a boss run earlier today, get invaded and killed. Check world tendency screen. Yep, Latria's further down the scale now. 'kay, playing this in offline mode from now on. In Dark Souls, getting killed by an invader was just inconvenient. In Demon's Souls, it directly increases the difficulty of the game. This is the most bullshit design decision ever. You know, formulating a game with the notion of being a challenging ordeal is fundamentally okay. Punishing the player for failing at your difficult game is not okay. Dark Souls was challenging because it had good bosses. Demon's Souls, when it is difficult, is so largely because of stupid design.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 01, 2012, 04:33:08 AM »
Hilariously 2-2's boss was one of the easier ones for me.

The egress miracle is a lot better then Dark Souls version at least.

And screw tendency!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
Fudo: Were you a caster, by chance? I hear it is much easier that way.

Cid: I was serious. You should ignore human form in Demon's. >_>

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 01, 2012, 07:59:10 AM »
Fudo: Were you a caster, by chance? I hear it is much easier that way.

Cid: I was serious. You should ignore human form in Demon's. >_>

Jack-of-all really.  Though by endgame I was bloating my magic to unhealthy levels while still only relying on physical attacks like a dumbass.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
Again, you people pay money to do this.

Serious Sam 3 - Playing this on Easiest difficulty, but for time concerns this time rather than because I don't give a fuck like the last couple of games that got super easy mode.  I want to play it and finish the other game I am working on before Mass Effect 3 comes out and everything gets back burnered unfairly.

Serious Sam 3 on pussy mode is amazing.  I mean SS3 is pretty amazing anyway by the looks of it.  On pussy mode though?  It is Doom Comic: The Game.  I teleport around one shotting dudes with the melee move which is OP as fuck because enemies don't do much damage and my health regens up to 200.  So get attacked by 30 dudes.  Teleport around snapping necks, ripping out hearts and decapitating skeletons with my bare hands.  This is glorious.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
Black tendency really doesn't affect stats much honestly and gives better drop rates from every enemy.
The system is really stupid because it's obscure as hell and you can't get pure black/white without playing offline, but the changed difficulty isn't really a part of that. It's like the Zodiac Spear in FF12, there's no real actual influence in game.

Usually people choose to do 2-1 right after 1-1 (and get promptly stomped by the Armored Spider) because 1-2 has instakill dragon and those crazy dogs, 3-1 has instakill cthulhus, 4-1 has crazy ninja skeletons, 5-1 has ohgodohgodohgod while 2-1 has nice little easy enemies that don't even move much.

I forgot talking about the greatest moment in Deus Ex. There are two weapon shops in China, one in the hotel and one in the alice pod gardens. At one point, in one of the most chilling moments of the game, the alice pod gardens were invaded by immense jerks who just kill everything in sight. The weapon vendor there naturally disappeared. I went back to the other weapon shop to restock, and only saw a wall with a terrifying graffity, something like "Sarif bitch". My supplier was probably already dead, my opponents clearly were after everybody I knew.
Later I realized I was stupid and just missed the real entrance. Weapon shop dude was still there. How disappointing.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 01, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2: About 15 hours in, up to Bemusoleum. Which...is the 6th dungeon, so game's moving at a very nice clip considering that I have spent 2-3 hours randomly grinding for shits(entirely not required! I was just getting new mons up to speed to try them out, coulda moved on much earlier).

The biggest thing I can say here is that this game cuts SO much of the usual DQ bullshit. Zoom is gotten early, you use it to return to any dungeon as well, not just the one "town" area. Also you get a skill called Zip, which lets you move to the zip pad in the dungeon, usually found close to the end, after you activate said pad. So need to go scout a mon found near the end of a dungeon? Just zip, no need to walk back through the damn thing.

Also as compared to MJ1, much better balance of + and - mons, as well as alot more randomly found neutral mons, which is nice. Oh and your mons gain exp while sitting in the monster pen, you don't have to take them out on your team for them to get levels. They don't get much, but it's easily enough to have your latest crop of fused monsters go from level 1 to level 10 or 11 after completing a dungeon.

Plot wise...all I have to say is that Don Mole is a central plot figure. I think that says everything.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Black tendency really doesn't affect stats much honestly and gives better drop rates from every enemy.
The system is really stupid because it's obscure as hell and you can't get pure black/white without playing offline, but the changed difficulty isn't really a part of that. It's like the Zodiac Spear in FF12, there's no real actual influence in game.

I actually did notice enemies needing an extra attack to drop after Latria slid a couple notches towards black. This counts in a boss fight! Suddenly I couldn't kill the first Maneater before the second one spawned. (This was the hardest fight in the game under any circumstances--one of only three to kill me, and the only one to do it repeatedly. Way too easy to fall off the bridge.)

Also gee thanks for killing all those people I saved, Yurt. Jerk. They make another game in this series, anyone using a shotel is kill on sight.

Anyway, game finished. Old King Allant did not hit me with the level drain but is a tremendous jerk anyway. I think I've already complained about everything that required complaint (oh wait no why do you have to move so slowly when climbing ladders). It is basically Dark Souls--. Or Dark Souls is this++. I would have no hesitation including that in a shortlist of favorite games, this largely gets an "Eh, it was okay," shrug. I am actually encouraged by the fact that the developers recognized what most of the annoying shit was in Demon's Souls and tossed it when making the sequel, though. Astraea fight was solidly the high water mark here. Probably the only thing of note that'll occur to me if I ever think about this game again.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:14:59 PM by El Cideon »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 02, 2012, 03:52:52 AM »
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Been playing this, got to the requisite Castlevania bad ending, which means I need to check a FAQ. Game's been pretty enjoyable so far, with the two-PC gameplay playing to my biases. It feels a bit broken at points and each character's individual gameplay is rather unexciting, but still solid enough. Bosses have been a mixed bag, with the non-plot bosses being largely forgettable or gimmicky, but the three plot bosses I've faced have been very fun fights, so there's that.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:08 AM »
FF13-2: Oh look! Another FF13 Cameo!  Also Moogles are apparently substitutes for balls these days...

...I blame Tidus in Dissidia.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »
Sonic Generations: I've been working my way through this in my moments of free time. Got all the challenge stages down in the first two generations, and cleared out Crisis City and Rooftop Run in the third. Loving the game, even though being able to see the end around the corner makes me really wish it were longer (com on, DLC!). Rooftop Run is the most surprisingly great level thus far – really pretty, and loaded with good setpieces for classic Sonic. The level design is nicely varied in general, which goes a long way toward making up for the fact that of the last five levels, four have been Speed Highway (which runs through a city), City Escape, Crisis City and Rooftop Run (said roofs are in a European city). Also I hadn't played Sonic Adventure in ages and goddamn did Perfect Chaos give me a nostalgia trip. Good times.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.