Register

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234212 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #675 on: March 16, 2012, 07:31:45 AM »
Rob needs more secretly-18-years-old-but-physically-8-year-old lolis in his life. Play Riviera!

Lost Odyssey:
Well, I take back what I said about it being less embarrassing. Just got Sarah in my party and man did they drop the ball on that little sequence... The worst was when the kids start singing to 'bring the sorceress back from her self-imposed hatred barrier' or whatever. It could -almost- have worked, too. I like music box songs, and they used some decent camera angles and logically, it's not the worst idea for trying to snap someone out of their stupor (they even set it up earlier during the funeral scenes). ..it's just... dear god their singing is so terrible. Why god why...

God is dead. </xenogears>

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 16, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »
why do I suddenly want to expose CT to copious amounts of Tales plot...

Who me?

I saw some Tales plot from Xer streaming Tales of Hearts. There was a bit where it was about people going inside people where there were people inside people ... Yeah. It was kind of messed up. Especially since there was a brother involved and I wasn't sure which character was which at first >.< Apparently quite a bit of this type of thing goes on in Tales of Hearts.

Only other Tales plot I've seen is ToV and Tales from a New World/Radiant Mythology  :P

I like SO3 and I think SO1 best I think :) I'm not sure which is my least favourite out of SO2 and SO4~
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:43:47 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #677 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
Rob needs more secretly-18-years-old-but-physically-8-year-old lolis in his life. Play Riviera!

I was actually referring to the pubescent girl dressed like a prostitute from the bad parts of Bangkok, but that was also pretty bad.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:08 PM »
Cthulhu Saves the World - Cthulhu's Angels mode, about to head to the Magitek Foundery. While the "play through the same game with different PCs" is certainly fun, this one's going to be less replayable because there's only one party. Fortunately it's all part of one big game anyway so I guess this doesn't matter. Otherwise, I've been having quite a lot of fun, although you can tell the randoms were balanced for the primary party... they've generally been quite simple so far although the volcano was a step in the right direction. Come to think of it, though, the mid maingame was simple enough too, so I guess the biggest difference is that CA October is overpowered in the earlygame. Bosses, meanwhile, clearly have adjusted to the higher damage scale of this party as they have about 50% more HP than their maingame counterparts. U-Bovinator was the best, but no resets thus far, funnily enough. Have had a few on randoms here and there.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant - About to go beat up Rasputin. This arc of the game is not its strongest writing-wise, but even it has some good moments... some of Yuri's stuff in Turkey was better than I remembered, or perhaps my memory for the game had failed. I still love how this game breaks the fourth wall at times... you can tell Yuri in particular has been through an RPG before and isn't always excited to be doing so again. Yuri is just great, definitely someone who is worthy of the hype he gets. Combat-wise, randoms still fail forever but are fun with all the timed hit stuff. Bosses I've decided to try not comboing to death relentlessly this time, instead focusing on things like Energy Charge and Entrance. So far this has made bosses last a bit longer than on my first playthrough but I just got Lucia's strike booster so we'll see how long that lasts. Since I'm not focused on combos I should probably bench Karin, but I like Karin. So we'll see.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
Finish Disgaea 3, Scar. And get on to Disgaea 4. Better balance and more customization. Also, prettier graphics and funnier endgame.

I hear good things about d4. I will get to it, eventually. I bought D3 for 20 bucks and plan to do the same with the fourth game. No rush...but when I DO buy it, I plan to actually get some DLC for this game. I had to resist the urge to do it for part 3, but having all those Disgaea characters at my disposal is too good to pass up.

Eventually!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 17, 2012, 06:25:59 AM »
FF1 Origins - Eat pigeon crap, Tiamat. Got the Excalibur and other good stuff. Going to tackle the final dungeon tomorrow.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 17, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
Tales of Graces f: f stands for full party after 25 hours!

So, let's see, when last I left off I was uhhhhh, fighting my first Evil boss?  Right, that looks right, the Parasite Queen.  So after about a dozen more horrific failures on EVIL I had to give up and revert back down to Hard like a wuss.  The fight goes from chaotic hell to so boring I probably could have let the AI handle it alone.  Anyway, after a pepper bomb covers us in rocky snot we head back to whatever the objective was.  And playing on Evil is getting me so much SP that I'm running out of titles to level for people not named Asbel or Sophie.  After some more dungeon treks, including one that makes no sense whatsoever(it was the one in the English party demo).  It's time for another boss fight!  At least I hope it's a boss fight or my deaths would make it just sad.  But after those deaths I actually enter THE ZONE and become able to beat my first boss on EVIL!  Except I literally get less SP then I do from normal fights.  And then the next boss slaughters me so badly I have to bump the difficulty down to NORMAL.

Anyway before that monstrous NORMAL boss I get my full party FINALLY!  Except Mr. Joins Last is in such a title drought that they're all either Mastered or 5ed.  What a waste of time.  Then I spend like three hours wasting time doing sidequests.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 17, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
WA3 - :maya:

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 18, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »
Tales of Graces f: The f stands for things that happen to you when you play on CHAOS.

When last I left off all of two posts ago because my stunning vagueness collapsed everyone else's RPG playing, I was heading forward with a full party to the land of snow!  Newbie is honestly kind of pathetic and ungodly frail in combat.  Which is some form of irony I'm sure.  Actually before the land of snow and pumpkins there's the obligatory Tales Arena.  This time it's again it's own pseudo-nation independent from the major powers because it has such badasses leading it.  And it's such a eye-opener to just how much I rely on the party over just straight Asbel jeez.  Also it has the best name.  Riot Peak: The Warrior's Roost.

Anyway, officially on to the land of snow and peaches which look like Cheria's butt because her skirt is so short.  More towns to grind stuff in and eventually one hell of a field-dungeon type dealie that actually has a boss which is just a random boar who unlike the Nova Dragons or whatever they are I actually did well against it on EVIL.  Also it randomly spawns minions.  Also I spend so much damn time on the mountain that the enemies start to run scared by the time I'm done with it.  So, in the newest town I play the greatest mini-game ever!  Annoying Frictionless Puzzle Boxes!

And then stuff happens and I infiltrate a tower.  Said tower has reskins of one of the earliest bosses as a common enemy which is laughable now.

And then there's a run at yet another dungeon that ends with a MYSTIC ARTE boss who also summoned minions.

Oh yeah, there was also another dungeon between those two with another monster boss that summoned minions.

And then some faux-DPZ action and failure and we finally maybe get a name for out villain!  Also Hubert acts ridiculously dumb!  And so does Malik!  And there's some guy with two spears that are also guns!

Also I'm now so glutted on SP that I have only three titles between everyone that aren't 5ed or Mastered!

And Pascal has her third Mystic Arte while no one else even has their second!

And I unlocked the highest difficulty, CHAOS!  Where Hubert died faster then usual!

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:32 PM »
Been playing a bit recently.

- Mass Effect - Played this for the first time.Adept. Finished, did a fair number of sidequests, though not all of them. Especially near the end.

I'm sure you've heard most of the ups and downs of this game before. EX - Driving up cliff walls - sucks! I agree with most of them. Combat started out decent enough, if a bit difficult (I am bad at shooting games), but gradually turned incredibly easy as I got better stuff and Singularity became more awesome.

Well, I could have turned the difficulty up, so I can't complain too much. Mostly used Garrus/Ashley.

Mass Effect 2
 - Playing this now. Finished most characters Loyalty. Enjoying the gameplay quite a bit more than ME1. The story hasn't really done a lot, but I've enjoyed it. The characters are more interesting, they've mostly got quirks and actually have a reason to join you - I like that. Though, again, recently I've been feeling the missions get a bit repetitive, but the difficulty feels better (at least on the difficulty I'm playing at - perhaps ME1 was better balanced at higher ones), and the gameplay is much more engaging. Still enjoying the game quite a bit.

- Mostly playing Paragon, but I pick the renegade choices if I feel like it, or if that's the choice I want to make.

Mass Effect 3
 - Picked it up. Played some multiplayer. It's not bad. I'm not very good though. Uncertain if I'm going to go into this game right after I beat ME2 or wait a bit and play something else inbetween.

Super Robot Wars MX
 - Played through this a bit ago. Not bad, standard SRW. Kind of easy. A couple of the lategame levels were real slogs (The Dendoh ones in particular) though I Liked the EVA levels quite a bit.

Trying to decide between Persona 3 FES or Baten Kaitos Origins for the next RPG I play.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 18, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »
ME1's going to be super easy as an Adept at any difficulty. They kind of break the game without that global cool down.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 19, 2012, 04:23:26 AM »
FF13-2: Ok, big plot reveals finished, time for Final Dungeon!

...wait, missed bad ending, lets go see that!

*Closes Academia 4XX AF, redoes entire sequence to get bad ending, and a fragment in the process*

Ok, useless stuff done, now onto final dungeon!

Also got a better Sentinel and Commando in my team as far as monsters go; just need a better Ravager and I'll be gold or something.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 19, 2012, 05:23:37 AM »
WA3 - Divinely(?) inspired archaeologists get helped out, more :maya: is witnessed, the words lineage and destiny are said way too many times in a single dungeon, and we sail halfway around the world to a two-headed snake dungeon and bosses fall to the power of carrots.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 19, 2012, 06:57:37 AM »
FF1 - Vanquished Chaos, the world was saved, Garland came to the celebration. Wait, what?!

FF2 - Started this game. This feels like the ugly stepchild of FF1 and SaGa Frontier. The combat is really really boring and you can run into the physically immune first boss and uh lol.

FF6 - Finished the Phoenix Cave, fought six of the eight dragons, and I think I'm ready to take on the final dungeon.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
Cthulhu - Angels mode beaten. Sara was quite nasty, final boss less so but not awful or anything. I got all these really cool spells from the levels I gained from beating the final boss, which seems kinda weird since the game is over (weird, since I can't see how I could be underlevelled). Otherwise, I enjoyed the parody ending plot well enough for what it was, and was glad the mode threw in one new dungeon at least. Pretty fun spin on the game, though as mentioned before, less replay value than the original of course.

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Idar Flamme is... soooo big.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
FF2 - Started this game. This feels like the ugly stepchild of FF1 and SaGa Frontier. The combat is really really boring and you can run into the physically immune first boss and uh lol.

Well, this WAS the game that more or less created the SaGa series!  I have no other words beyond that.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 19, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
Among the numerous things making difficulty a joke in Mass Effect 1, biotics stand pretty tall. Hell, I destroyed the universe as a Sentinel mostly on the power of Marksman and Lift.

Mass Effect 3: Finished up the Quarian/Geth thing. Used the almighty Paragon solutions.

The Tali romance actually felt pretty well tied in throughout this entire arc, and you get a sense of an actual relationship between Shep and her. Also, there are a couple of severely funny lines. Fairly satisfying on the whole. Big decision of the Geth/Quarian plot is a bit of an idiot ball moment (seriously, just get everyone to chill out for five minutes), but it worked.

Also, Tali face revealed.

Wrapped up a couple more sidequests (adding the Samara one to the "Seems like they wanted to do more, but ran out of time/money" list, standing alongside Verner, Zaeed and Kasumi). Now it is time for Thessia.

I want to note that powers are back in full swing of destroying the game, although the relative fragility of your character helps check it a little bit? Pretty much all the major powers are pretty nuts (lolz Cryo Blast) and by going lightly armed, you are pretty much chaining powers at all times. Small arms are a little whiffy about damage early on, but once you reach the endgame stuff (Paladin pistol) and you're one-shotting most things with headshots. Even Brutes melt pretty fast under the Paladin.

Banshees were weirdly durable, though.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 19, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
I play Vanguard.  I have my recharge bonus at 195%.

My game is literally charge/nova or charge/heavy melee and repeat.  No other attacks necessary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 20, 2012, 02:47:48 AM »
Tales of Graces f: Where f stands for the Failure that is Cheria.

Let's see, where was I last?  Right, unlocked Chaos, heading towards DESTINY!  Destiny in this case being a boss battle immediately after the last one.  Or close enough.  HILARIOUSLY!  Despite being a Nova boss on Chaos difficultly, the sheer bonus to your own damage for hitting enemy weaknesses is enough that I'm actually able to beat him!  And get a grand total of 6500 SP out of it!  That is literally enough for Asbel and Sophie to 5 their newest titles!  Yay!  And then Sophie's out of commission.

FUCK YOU GAME.

So after JRPG time show it's ugly head I'm now forced to rely on Cheria's godawful ass.  Who promptly shows her failure as I literally die on a semi-boss fight more times on Chaos then I did for the actual Boss.  And then I only eventually win that because I shunted her terrible ass out.  What a useless sack.  Which just gets worse in the next dungeon, where an hour's progress is lost because she can't deal damage or stun worth a shit and I have to bump the difficultly down to EVIL like a goddamn wuss.  This makes the next two dungeons pretty much a joke.  And they would be more of one if I had an actual decent party.  Using her against Novas is a bloody suicide mission I swear.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:10 AM »
Your Cheria sucked probably you didn't raise her defense states properly.
ToGF's states gain upon level up depends on your current state. In other word, higher states you have right now, the more you have upon level up. So it is pretty important to tweak mage's defense with everything you have early on so they don't die to a touch in late game in higher difficulty.

Tweak her while you still can, as she is the only character with access to Time Stop later on, which is stupidly valuable in after game and super boss fights.

Shining Blade - Played this none stop and almost 30 hours in.... freaky I can put up with a mediocre game like this just because there is bishies for me to drool at.....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 20, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »
That sounds like a terrible design decision.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
How very Final Fantasy 9 of them.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 20, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »
I assumes states means stats.

But it's not her stats that are killing her.  It's the fact that she can't lock down enemies.  Her AI does not use A-Artes at all and her B-Artes are completely inferior to Malik and Pascal.  And I know for a fact Malik has less Defense then her... for some reason, but he's not the one that I have to waste Life Bottles on.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14:53 AM »
That sounds like a terrible design decision.
How very Final Fantasy 9 of them.

The words, they are different, and yet they say the same thing.

SHC - So apparently Mind's Eye + Energy Charge + Rage + Strike boost is pretty evil. Almost done disc 1!

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 20, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »
Are you using Technical Ring again Elf?  I suppose you are with Mind's Eye etc.

I always did enjoy SH2 replay when I stopped caring and threw it on normal.  Just chill and play it through snooze mode.  Make the game numerically harder and less punishing.  Crank some tunes and fuck around.  Much more fun.

At least if you aren't doing it right and playing with a DDR mat anyway.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.