Register

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234194 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:26 AM »
Technical yeah. Which to be fair the Mind's Eye doesn't really sync with super-well, since it makes it harder to get Strikes (for all that I'm getting better at it). I didn't get the Mind's Eye last playthrough (I think one of the early Solomon Trials put me off) so it's pretty fun to play around with on this one, although I have used it (and its more evil magic equivalent) in SH3.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #701 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:44 AM »
Are you implying there are games you don't play with a DDR mat?

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »
When I think of people playing DDR with a controller I feel I understand why so many religions consider masturbating a sin.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #703 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »
Are there really that many religions that consider masturbating a sin besides the three that all spawned from the same place?

Plants vs Zombies:
Finally got enough coinage to unlock the I, Zombie mode. BRAIIIIIINS~

Lost Odyssey:
Continues to be fun Menu-Based Combat. Story keeps slipping further and further into that "What were we doing again, Director?" zone. Sarah is quite pretty, at least. Jansen needs more lines to save this game from mediocrity.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »
I assumes states means stats.

But it's not her stats that are killing her.  It's the fact that she can't lock down enemies.  Her AI does not use A-Artes at all and her B-Artes are completely inferior to Malik and Pascal.  And I know for a fact Malik has less Defense then her... for some reason, but he's not the one that I have to waste Life Bottles on.

How did you set up her AI? Though I highly recommend you to set her up doing nothing but healing and occasional Flash Tear if she is on AI.
B-Artes? Patience I guess, she'll come around once Virtuous Ray and Indignation comes in.

BTW, to any one that is playing ToGF right now, once you beat the main game, start the F arc right away. Accel Mode can only be unlocked in the F arc. You want to unlock those first then come back to the main game to do the after-game dungeon and super-bosses (better if you bring the Narikiri titles, having Richard the spammer back in main game would be a great plus). A couple of character's Accel Mode are life savers.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »
I assumes states means stats.

But it's not her stats that are killing her.  It's the fact that she can't lock down enemies.  Her AI does not use A-Artes at all and her B-Artes are completely inferior to Malik and Pascal.  And I know for a fact Malik has less Defense then her... for some reason, but he's not the one that I have to waste Life Bottles on.

How did you set up her AI? Though I highly recommend you to set her up doing nothing but healing and occasional Flash Tear if she is on AI.
B-Artes? Patience I guess, she'll come around once Virtuous Ray and Indignation comes in.

BTW, to any one that is playing ToGF right now, once you beat the main game, start the F arc right away. Accel Mode can only be unlocked in the F arc. You want to unlock those first then come back to the main game to do the after-game dungeon and super-bosses (better if you bring the Narikiri titles, having Richard the spammer back in main game would be a great plus). A couple of character's Accel Mode are life savers.

I didn't set up any AI simply because it worked out exceptionally well so far until this point.  I'd say I have to change it, but it still works fine for EVIL.  And once Sophie's back I can just ramp back up to CHAOS.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 20, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
If I only played my JRPGs with a DDR mat I would not need to go to the gym nearly as badly as I do.

Djinn, off the top of my head it is frown upon for some practicing Buddhists and maybe Shinto?  Not 100% on that though. 

TO: PSP - Up to chapter 3 in Law.  I am stunned at how short this is.  Is this how FFT feels for the fiends who are good at it?  Archers are crazy.  Just now got into a fight with dragons though.  Tinking on dragons.  Oh right I will try out that Petrify scroll and stuff on my witch.  Whoa 100% hit rate?  That is crazy, maybe it is just learning it.  Okay, second one has 93% hit rate.  Wow.  Broken Petrify much?  I guess you don't get loots from it is my first thought.  Then dragon breaks free after 2 turns.

I see.

Well I guess I need to think on my feet for this fight since I forget when I saved.  Won't lose much if I get my first game over though.

Also wow, really guys, you aren't kidding when you say archers are broken.  Literally able to choose when I end fights entirely because of how many assassination missions there are.  Randoms are magnitudes harder than plot fights because you actually have to kill everything.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »
Perfect World:  Level 100.

Rarr, I'm a rock monster.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
Up through Horizon. Kai Leng is a prat. His arrogance is particularly funny in that fight, given the circumstances. Unsure as to whether I consider his writing incompetent or genius. His death shall bring me pleasure. Unless he doesn't die. Then I will go cry on forums.

Also, emergency induction ports. Someone needs to work through their daddy issues.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
I will work daddy through your issues Andy.

TO PSP - Goddamn.  Crafting system so terrible.  For fucks sake.  Never ever make the default selection No for an option someone just picked like that.  It is pretty bad even if it didn't do that.  As is, straight up appalling.  So bad I can't even swear enough to describe how bad it is. 
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 20, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Oh no! The default for having you help me work through my Daddy issues was No, so I failed to select it! =(

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
I will work daddy through your issues Andy.

TO PSP - Goddamn.  Crafting system so terrible.  For fucks sake.  Never ever make the default selection No for an option someone just picked like that.  It is pretty bad even if it didn't do that.  As is, straight up appalling.  So bad I can't even swear enough to describe how bad it is. 

Another game in the long line of games that convinced me to ignore item crafting in RPGs whenever possible.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
TOPSP's crafting system tries to balance its own gamebreaking overpoweredness through pure deliberate tedium. Cock design at its finest.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
TOPSP has crafting? >_>
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
WA3 - So we head up a terraforming system and beat up the creepy brigade.  Creepy Woman spouts off about butterflies and how EVERYTHING MUST BE PRETTY and our babysitter calls her a terrible artist and she's all like HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY ARTISTRY I WILL MAKE ANGRY FACES.  Boss fight ensues and she decides to be Evil Gaia's long lost sibling because all she does is POIZN.  Then comes Vague McCreepy Guy and apparently he needs an adult so he is trying to bring back his mommy and gets all HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY LOVE FOR MAMA I WILL MAKE ANGRY FACES.  Oooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaay.  Boss fight ensues and he is a confusion whore which makes things annoying but whatever.  Then we fight the train robber again man have we really gone that long without fighting the train robber even as a plot fight wow and he engages in WA3 boss death animation so he must finally be dead.  Then we reach the control room where RIG's father tells Sandy Mangina to fight for everlasting peace and we head up to the top where we find Grahf Ikari and his cronies.  Grahf Ikari is all bloo bloo because he can't turn the planet into the demons any more and HOW DARE RIG'S FATHER STEAL MY WOMAN FROM ME I WILL MAKE ANGRY FACES, and again rar boss fight.

So the party did what they needed to do and leave and it turns out the creepy brigade *isn't dead yet* and oh god fuck the train robber's still alive too oh wait the demons got summoned and killed the train robber never mind.  Meanwhile we need to go help out those archeologists again but fuck that I'm gonna grow some more carrots first.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
Your Cheria sucked probably you didn't raise her defense states properly.
ToGF's states gain upon level up depends on your current state. In other word, higher states you have right now, the more you have upon level up. So it is pretty important to tweak mage's defense with everything you have early on so they don't die to a touch in late game in higher difficulty.

You mean tweaking with title skills, I assume?  As in, equipped stats don't matter, just base + title skills?

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 21, 2012, 03:35:27 AM »
Fun TO fact: The crafting success rates were apparantly *dramatically* increased in the NA/EU release. Supposedly even the simplest ingredient craft would have a 30-40% chance of failure, on top of all the other crap you have to put up with.

It really feels at times like crafting was only included in TO PSP due to editorial mandate, and the developers decided to rebel by making the whole process as garbage as possible.

Edit: Oh yeah, Archers. The one major failing they have (besides trouble damaging monsters, which almost every physical attacker shares) is that they struggle to actually target stuff on fortress battles, where enemies a long distance away are too high up elevation-wise while enemies at an aimable height often end up in your deadzone. On flat or even slightly-uphill terrain they are completely absurd, and there are a couple of stages where you start off with a huge height advantage and can literally reign arrows down on the entire map from your starting position. Weapon balance in TO PSP is amazingly lopsided in general, but giving bows/xbows the most effective damage formula in the game stands out as being extra-special nuts.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:46:46 AM by hinode »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 21, 2012, 05:27:12 AM »
TOPSP's crafting system tries to balance its own gamebreaking overpoweredness through pure deliberate tedium. Cock design at its finest.

Or make the weapon weaker than the original material, as all those weapons with hidden atk bonus will lose that invisible bonus when upgraded.

Your Cheria sucked probably you didn't raise her defense states properly.
ToGF's states gain upon level up depends on your current state. In other word, higher states you have right now, the more you have upon level up. So it is pretty important to tweak mage's defense with everything you have early on so they don't die to a touch in late game in higher difficulty.

You mean tweaking with title skills, I assume?  As in, equipped stats don't matter, just base + title skills?

Equip matters actually.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 21, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
Mass Effect 3: Back on Earth.

Kai Leng fight was satisfying.

As the end of the game approaches, I've definitely enjoyed the ride. There've been some faults along the way, but, on the whole, I've quite enjoyed things. Now let us see if the end fucks that up.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 22, 2012, 03:45:14 AM »

Or make the weapon weaker than the original material, as all those weapons with hidden atk bonus will lose that invisible bonus when upgraded.

Hrm, got a list of what weapons have these hidden bonuses? I'm only aware of Baldur weapons having a hidden modifer against undead, and *that* definately carries over to the upgraded versions.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 22, 2012, 04:03:17 AM »
I have the list in Japanese if you don't mind.

http://masterwiki.net/tacticsogre/?%C9%F0%B4%EF%C1%B4%C8%CC%A1%A6%B9%CD%BB%A1#n155b9c5

And the hidden bonus I talk about is not those bonus against undead. But a universal bonus that increase the atk base on your current stat. Stronger you are, stronger the weapon. At low levels, since you are weak, you might notice those bonuses. But by the end game, those bonus becomes ridiculous. Low rank weapon with the bonus can out-damage after game hidden weapon that does not have bonus.

Below the chart I link you to is the chart for weapons that are anti undead.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
Mmm, interesting. Thanks for the list.

I wonder if these still exist in the international version. Guessing yes, but the nerfed stat growths (+0.1 per level-up instead of +0.5) made them a lot less effective, especially if they run off base stats only.

At the least they aren't as significant as the benefits from high dex weapons like bows/daggers/1h katanas. I ended up using some of those weapons (Culnikronne, Holy Comet, Rose Whip) and they were still doing way less damage per-hit than Brilliant Daggers and Superior Brahmas with their uber-dex formulas. Hell, by the 40s Denam could do more per-hit with a Brilliant Dagger (96 attack power) than he would with Brynhildr (142 attack), which is insane on more levels than I can count.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
Mass Effect 3: Short version. Game beat. Yes, end sucks. Game good overall. 7.5-8/10 range. Some really well done stuff and some shockingly incompetent/corner-cut stuff.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:15 AM »
Mmm, interesting. Thanks for the list.

I wonder if these still exist in the international version. Guessing yes, but the nerfed stat growths (+0.1 per level-up instead of +0.5) made them a lot less effective, especially if they run off base stats only.

At the least they aren't as significant as the benefits from high dex weapons like bows/daggers/1h katanas. I ended up using some of those weapons (Culnikronne, Holy Comet, Rose Whip) and they were still doing way less damage per-hit than Brilliant Daggers and Superior Brahmas with their uber-dex formulas. Hell, by the 40s Denam could do more per-hit with a Brilliant Dagger (96 attack power) than he would with Brynhildr (142 attack), which is insane on more levels than I can count.

Oh yeah, overlooked the reduction in the state growth.....
Though, what is the dex formula you are mentioning??

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #724 on: March 23, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »
ToG- Apparently the world is doomed.  Screw that, I have Estelle plushies to give to little girls~

It's kinda weird.  Despite effectively being the director's cut version of the game, I keep seeing scenes here and there and thinking "I bet they had more lines here before.  I wonder what the deleted scene would be like..."  This isn't to say these things not being there detracts from the game, and indeed extending a bunch of scenes would be a net negative, but still I wonder.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.