imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234829 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #975 on: April 30, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
Funeral minigames what. Really?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »
A fairly significant character dies. Tears are shed. There is a funeral. There are minigames during the funeral.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
If there are minigames at my funeral I will crawl up out of the ground and strangle the party responsible.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 30, 2012, 11:51:11 PM »
Its "you are part of the ceremony, now be the actual character performing it."  Honestly, I didn't find the minigame that poorly explained and got it done right on the first attempt <_<

That said, why it exists is...questionable, and doesn't really add to much, as they could have just streamlined the whole thing with just cut-scenes and what not, and got the same effect.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:30 AM »
I was fighting some regular dresser who switched to Magneton. (First time I've seen this happen, actually) Magneton has that innate skill that prevents switching pokemons. He also likes doing crits to birds with thunder elemental moves. Fuck. Magneton.

Actually, Magneton's anti-switch skill only works on Steels. And it has lots of Special Attack and hits weakness on Skarmory.

Skarmory was really good in competitive gen 2 (for reasons which I imagine are now apparent to you!), so they pretty much gave Magneton that skill just to spoil it.

EDIT:
Honestly, I didn't find the minigame that poorly explained and got it done right on the first attempt <_<

Congratulations, have a cookie.

Here is the thing, though: I didn't get it right first attempt. The game does not give any feedback for what I am doing wrong, like you would expect most games to do. It does nothing whatsoever, pretty much just hangs until I figure out what the game had (poorly) explained what I was supposed to do. This after all those fetchquest nonsense and ages away from the previous save point. Not exactly a happy fun times experience.

Which is a real shame because the scenes leading up to the funeral were quite effective!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:09:42 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 01, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
Meeple is trying to increase the size of his e-peen, don't hate.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 01, 2012, 01:11:47 AM »

How can you not note the clowns.  FUNERAL CLOWNS.

To be fair, pimp clowns look like they're supposed to be priests in Lost Odyssey world.
this is supposed to be FANTASY youknow??

Actually, Magneton's anti-switch skill only works on Steels. And it has lots of Special Attack and hits weakness on Skarmory.

Skarmory was really good in competitive gen 2 (for reasons which I imagine are now apparent to you!), so they pretty much gave Magneton that skill just to spoil it.

*shakes fist*
This is horrible.
Couldn't they have just spoiled Luvdisc instead or something.

I'm pretty surprised by how far I've already managed to go in that Nuzlocke challenge, on only the second attempt. I don't even know the pokemon weakness tables very well. Like, what does poison do to ground types? I have no idea. What about a ghost move against a dark pokemon? Or a steel move against anything? What the hell is Astonish's type??
The game's even easier than I thought, because I know very few things about Pokemon and usually suck at this kind of challenge (the ones with no margin for error, as opposed to the ones where you're supposed to retry and reloads a lot)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #982 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:21 AM »
If there are minigames at my funeral I will crawl up out of the ground and strangle the party responsible.

Technically my entire funeral is a shooting minigame, but that's because my will specifies that in lieu of a funeral, my ashes are to be mixed with the highest-grade gunpowder and made into two special .480 rounds which will be used to kill whatever managed to end me.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 01, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »
That 3 year old will sure get what is coming to it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 01, 2012, 01:39:54 AM »
Wait until they have to kill an incorporeal concept. Not only will it be violent but they'll have to renact parts of Wild Arms 2

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 01, 2012, 02:42:01 AM »
I'm pretty sure Wild Arms 2 killed incorporeal concepts on its own.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:15 AM »
I haven't even played Lost Odyssey yet, and I dominated that minigame.  So awesome when I flipped the switch to rotate the mirror, redirecting the laser beam.  The priest did not freakin' see it coming.  Pretty sweet.

I thought the catapult was a nice touch, too.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 01, 2012, 03:09:49 AM »
You should see that YouTube clip whee the dude does an Ollie off the corpse and makes it launch into space.  lolhavocphysics
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #988 on: May 01, 2012, 05:08:27 AM »
Wait what? If you fuck up the funeral ceremony, you game over? I didn't have any trouble with it, but I just assumed that failure meant "don't get best rewards" or something.
Goddammit Lost Odyssey, why ya gotta make me hurt you, baby?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »
I'm pretty sure Wild Arms 2 killed incorporeal concepts on its own.

And that will be their shame.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
Wait what? If you fuck up the funeral ceremony, you game over? I didn't have any trouble with it, but I just assumed that failure meant "don't get best rewards" or something.
Goddammit Lost Odyssey, why ya gotta make me hurt you, baby?

No, I think Elfboy means that screwing up the Minigame just leads to a "You screwed up, try again!" scenario, except unlike other Minigames, it doesn't remind you on the controls for each failed attempt or give a pointer to your failure.

I can't imagine they'd game over you for screwing up something so trivial.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 01, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »
It's not a game over, the reason he was complaining about savepoints is primarily that we weren't expecting to play Lost Odyssey for like 1.5+ hours before getting another savepoint. How 1990's of it.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:37 PM »
Finally elfboy and I complaining about the same thing.  Funeral sucked for the minivans with bad controls and taking a long damned time.  Not fun when you are trying to finish up for work the next day.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 02, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »
No, I think Elfboy means that screwing up the Minigame just leads to a "You screwed up, try again!" scenario, except unlike other Minigames, it doesn't remind you on the controls for each failed attempt or give a pointer to your failure.

It's even worse: it doesn't give a "you screwed up, try again" message. It says -nothing-. There's no clue as to if what I'm doing is even the right general idea or way off. I'll even admit there's a chance that if I read the instructions carefully I don't have this problem since by this point I was pretty impatient due to hunter-gatherer fetchquesting, but yeah, it's just bad design.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
You just sit there waving the torch around and nothing fucking happens.  It is pretty awesome.  There is a reason you could always find a topic on the forums at Gamefaqs going WTFWTFWTF about it when I played through.

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 02, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
Been playing a bit lately.

Finished Mass Effect 2, Adept.

Pretty good stuff, combat was more enjoyable. The characters were more than blocks of wood, so that was nice.

Near the end I felt it was dragging on a bit, like "I *guess* I'll do this mission" sort of thing, but I enjoyed it. Good game overall.

Finished Persona 3, as well.

I played Persona 4 first. I still think 4 is a better game, for a variety of reasons (Social Links being better is one), but I enjoyed it for what it was. 90 hours or so.

Speaking of Social Links, some were interesting enough to read, and others were just boring as heck. When they're written decently or at least kind of interesting I like them! But sometimes they really just aren't.

Started The Answer, I'm about 9 hours in. I like the game because it's perfect to just grind at it while you're talking to someone on Skype or listening to headphones or watching a video or something, which is good.

Also started Mass Effect 3, a bit after the attack on the citadel.

I have a *really* high opinion of it so far. Like, everything seems so much better. I've also played like 50 hours of multiplayer with friends before even starting the game. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I'm really enjoying the combat, and the story is going somewhere, at least, and hasn't stalled too much. For a note on who I used each game -

Mass Effect: Garrus and Ashley
Mass Effect 2: Mordin and Thane
Mass Effect 3: EDI and Javik

Also, took Inferno Grenades as my bonus power. Now I can carry 9 cluster grenades and blow everything up. It is the best.

Oh, me and a couple friends have been working on an FE7 romhack for a while. Would any of you guys be interested in it? The gameplay is "a bit harder than the original" but it's really not that bad, though Hector Hard Mode is a pretty big jump.

Basically, the characters are different, the text and supports are different, but the maps are the same (Well, the enemies have changed, as have the bosses)

A lot of the bosses are stupid cameos like Tengu, or Haseo, or other random characters that I was thinking of at the time.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, I'll post a topic. It's mostly done, just needs a bit more playtesting.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #996 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
FE Romhack? I'd be interested. ^_^

Bahamut Lagoon: Finished! Great game, a bit too easy. If any game needs a rerelease, it's this one. Just upping the difficulty a little would make for a really deep SRPG. Particularly like the Terrain Effects, Melee-Range Turn-based Battles, and the Dragon Bonding. Dragon Raising was a cool -concept- but terribly opaque and needed -some- kind of documentation for the level of complexity involved.
Stand out feature: With over 30 PCs, I'm impressed they managed to give each of them so much personality. Certainly better than Chrono Cross and 4/5s of the cast of Suikoden 1!

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
Super Robot Taisen Z2-2;

Completed.

Generally speaking way the heck better than Z2-1 while still being a very similar game. Mostly, rather than being a straight up "This is a squad game in character design, single PC units in actual fact" borefest game of SRWJ(generously) complexity...

Well, you have massive rocket tag. Generally speaking, I find that SRW is at its best in rocket tag.

The highest overall cash amount of any Super Robot Taisen on a single playthrough(I cleared with just under 29M as a total gain throughout the game), the highest raw unit deployment amounts(28/28/30 for the last stages, often endgame levels for most games(20-24) for ages before that), eight pilot skills-which enemies abuse liberally-a lot of extremely wacky SR points(MAKE this allied neutral get three kills, for example), a bunch of enemies that would be scary as hell in any other game...

Well, it's silly. And actually sorta okay on challenge. And is much more in line with what I was hoping for when I went into Z2-1-an interesting non-squad game that attempted to build on the formula. It does so rather linearly, but I can handle linear.

It isn't perfect, though. Some units still feel utterly useless to an exceptional degree-I can just feel them wondering what the hell to do with Sara's Panther to reconcile its plot usefulness and its gameplay usefulness in a logical way and blanking. The SRs tend towards being speed a little too often still(this has been a problem with all the Z games, though it was a lot worse in Z2-1, and even Z1-one of the few things I will say this game does better than Z1.). In the end, you're still rarely using support mechs because the cast size is so spectacularly stupidly huge, and because the battleships have good enough support spirit sets(you can deploy up to four of these by the end, too!), that they still don't do that well.

And, the largest issue, for some reason the challenge rockets screeching off a cliff after the final pathsplit. I admittedly had my only unit death during that stretch(Vajra Queen successfully stunshocked Dancougar Nova-Steady doesn't stop that-then offloaded 13000 damage onto it next turn. I was impressed.), but that was an exceptional map. The final was decent too. All eight other stages were stupidly easy, and even those two had an SR finished a full turn early(on a three turn limit) and the entire final stage finished in two turns, respectively. (Granted if I had screwed up on the final stage, I would have been rather dead. That's what happens when you screw up those blitzes, you spend thirty minutes, end up a few thousand damage short, and reload because you can't really recover.).

There's still issues. But it's a *lot* better.

Incidentally, the worst thing ever is that PSP SRW Z2s show my time played. I didn't need to know that. OH WELL I'M SURE A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF IT WAS DUE TO ME CHATTING WHILE PLAYING. Yes. That's it.

Oh, and I swear to god they somehow made Turn A better than it has ever been. It is kinda scary. At this rate they'll just give it a fullscreen enemy-only MAP weapon next game.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:13:54 AM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 03, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »
<SageAcrin> Jo'ou play Z2-2. :(

Incidentally, I was supposed to be playing CSTW but haven't touched it since Monday.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:57 AM »
<SageAcrin> Jo'ou play Z2-2. :(

Incidentally, I was supposed to be playing CSTW but haven't touched it since Monday.

Isn't this the story of your life when Hello kitty isn't involved?