Register

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234866 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1050 on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »
Wizardry Labyrinth of lost souls: Beat the DLC. It's worthless.
Almost every encounter in the last floor can and will easily wipe your team unless you grind like a madman. Teleporting during battles is risky because you can teleport into a wall. (not pretty) And even then, most of the time three characters are already dead before the fastest one can react and use the freaking teleport spell.
Every enemy is faster than the fastest kind of character, and every enemy does near OHKO damage to the most durable kind of character. (killing everybody else handily) What could I possibly do? There is nothing to prevent horrible death but save abuse.

I liked the game overall, and have been addicted for a while, but this is far from being one of the best dungeon crawlers, even ignoring the DLC. Exploration is king in those games, but here everything feels so empty and there are randomized treasure chests (awful idea)

Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke: Victory Road is a brick wall. I'm advancing very carefully and very slowly, backtracking all the time. I'm not used to randoms this powerful.
Somehow Groundon was the first pokemon I encountered in his dungeon, so hey. I hope he doesn't have diabate, because he's going to eat 18 rare candies real soon.
So I have my final team of 6 pokemon. Groundon, Swampert, Dusclops, Swalot, Armaldo, Hariyama. They're all pretty useful (except Armaldo, but I fed him so much exp I'm not dropping him)

Inindo Way of the Ninja (Snes):
This game hates the player! (at first)
The main character is the wimpiest looking main character I've seen (Probably), and he begins the game by getting his ass kicked by 3 random ninjas. He then goes kill some rats (congratulations), before going all the way across the world map to Mt Fuji (good thing I know Japan somewhat, or I'd never have found it). Along the way he sees countless generic looking cities with tons of nice characters to recruit or attack (unfortunately he can't do that since his level is too low and nobody trusts him) or fun activites like spying and army battles (he can't do any of those either).
There's a good chance that anywhere on a world map or in a inn, a random ninja will come, kick his ass, leave him at 1 HP and steal half his money.

Good lord. Fortunately, the Mt Fuji dungeon (did you know that there were fire rats in Mt Fuji?) got me a ton of levels and good equipment. Real game, here I come.
But first:
*goes to drink tea*
*meets another ninja who kicks my ass and steals half my money*

Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes: Finished. Final boss wasn't much of a trouble!
The plot did go a bit crazy and nonsensical towards the end, but that's to be expected from something that tries to tie Chrono Cross to anything.
My final party was Magus/Ayla/Robo.
Ayla was a monster thanks to her new Auto Berserk move. This + Haste Helm + Speed belt = Dead randoms.
Gamebest team is Magus + Ayla + Marle. (Marle being the best support character, which is a bit mindblowing to me. It's freaking Marle! The only thing she has over her CT self is MT Haste instead of ST Haste)

I wasn't floored or anything, but this was a very decent hack.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:20:34 AM by Fenrir »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
Marle was already the best support character in CT anyway if you ask me (Haste!), so I don't really get the surprise. Granted, CT wasn't really a game about support characters and you could very easily play without one, but Marle was better than uh... I guess Frog is the only other one, so she wins by default.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1052 on: May 14, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »
Elf: You must make a Hope generic and then let him die over and over again.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 14, 2012, 07:05:13 PM »
I meant that she's the third best character, as she supports Psycho Ayla and Fangasm Magus (the two MVPs) well.
She's just better than Lucca, Crono, Robo and Frog (OMG)

Marle is a textbook bad character for me in vanilla CT. (maybe not as bad as Frog who has no niché, but everyone else is way better) She's nearly useless against most randoms, and she's subpart against bosses before she gets Haste and after you get a Haste Helm. Even then setting haste up is a bit annoying and she feels like she often feels like she's the only character who can actually die in game thanks to that awful physical durability. She just makes battles last a lot longer than they should.
But it's mostly the uselessness against randoms.

In Crimson Echoes, MT Haste sees a lot of use against randoms as they're (too) durable. You might as well not have her act after using it, but it's good enough.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 14, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
Wizardry 5- Started up the PSX remakes. The differences:

1.Everyone caps out at 18 in a stat, rather than  just +10 to the base value of a stat. This makes race pretty irrelevant.
2. AUTOMAP. Oh god, automap. Not only is it an automap, but it's a good one. It marks things like dark zones on it, which is wonderful.
3. You can port the PC's from earlier versions of the PSX wizardry remakes. That doesn't much matter. What does is that they start you with PC's who are above level 1. Even better,  you get one of each class- including Ninja and Lord, which are pains in the ass to pick up normally.
4. You lose stats a little more often than you did in the SNES version on levels up.

Other than that, it's Wizardry 5.  I'm enjoying it. I did have trouble getting the potion of spirit away event to fire correctly, but it did eventually work. I'm L8 or so right now. Running a Lord/Lord/Samurai/Ninja/Mage/Bishop team. The lack of a Cleric is hurting a little (I am going to miss Bamordi) but other than that, it's strong enough. Didn't run a mage last game, so I am enjoying getting to play around with that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 14, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »
You know what?  I am legitimately interested in how you take to an expansive old school dungeon crawlish romp that you don't have experience with.  DLCon, I am throwing money at you and you are buying a later Might and Magic game or two (I was thinking 6-8, buuuut 6 is only in a pack with 1-5 which I know you have some experience with and/or have no desire to say HERE PLAY THESE).

Mass Effect 3 - So I have been kicking around in Multiplayer still.  I have discovered a few things.  I still love Engineer the most.  Human Engineer and I are like BFFs 4 life.  It was a really weird feeling trying out other classes (after levelling one through to 20 about 3 times before really playing something else).  I actually felt like I should just use Missile Launcher to gib Banshees and the like with other characters!  How alien.  Human Engi gets tools to handle every situation and it is fantastic.  Roll engi more often dudes.   Other thing I have discovered, I enjoy being the fucking Predator.  Geth get a Hunter Mode.  It is wall hacks and makes you do everything you are good at faster and hit harder.  It halves your shields.  Most importantly it makes you see the world through Predator targetting reticule (and makes your headlamp bright fucking red).  I played Infiltrator and hated it until I stopped trying to be an infiltrator and just ran around bossing shit like fucking Rambo with Predator Mode going.  Can still stealth to run like a bitch!  Also learned that going "man all these powers fucking suck" and putting points in HP boosters actually has very significant boost to your durability.  Can still run around and tank rockets to the face with halved shields and most of a Geth's durability is shields (like 450ish health and 1600 shields I think it was).  I had underrated these skills.

What I hadn't underrated was Melee.  Melee is fucking terrible in Mutliplayer.  Yes it kills things and does a lot of damage.  You see unfortunately you need to fucking melee shit to do that.  You know what is a terrible idea to melee?  Turrets.  Banshees.  Atlas.  Guardians.  Like fucking tons of shit.  Stop it PUGs, I am sick of picking you up off the floor.  Heaven help you if you get stuck in a pug with 2 retards trying to melee everything.

It is even worse when you see that stuff I said about durability boosts being pretty significant?  You forgo that to be better at melee.  So you are squishier and need to get all up ins to do your damage.  The perks are even meant to be used in tandem with shooting, but terribad pugs don't do that.  They just try to Krogan headbutt shit all the time even though they got like a 30% weapon damage boost for hitting something 20 seconds ago with heavy Melee.

Aaaaaalso, I don't know if there is bots playing this or just people AFKing, but for all that Bronze is super easy at this point I am sick to fuck of three manning it to carry some scrub who doesn't actually want to play the game to unlock things for the game.  For serious, I saw a game where someone only got a medal for 10 assists.  You get assists just for scratching something that someone else kills.  You get one for getting 5 headshots (...) and like 25 kills.  Dude didn't even manage that.  GJ there level 17 Soldier.  We Legit 3 manned stuff yesterday instead of carrying someone.  Still easy mode, we actually had a good pug in one we 3 manned  (Missiling Banshees as they pop.  Cloak Missile Launcher is fucking sex btw) and cleared it just a touch over 15 mins which is faster than most 4 man games go with bads.  Also had an amazing pug where someone like rank 400ish joined my 2 player premade and were like oh this should be a cake walk.  Then someone rank 1333 joined and absolutely dominated the game.  Beat 2 of us but about 10k points (fucking huge scoring game all round) and the 400ish rank guy did sweet fuck all.  14:30 clear.  Sadly couldn't keep the 1333 guy next game as we were swapping in a third and game filled the pug spot before I switched it to Private to get in a buddy that had finished lunch and couldn't dump the new guy.  Arianya, respect.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »
Elf: You must make a Hope generic and then let him die over and over again.

>:(

*makes a Djinn generic and lets him die over and over*

I meant that she's the third best character, as she supports Psycho Ayla and Fangasm Magus (the two MVPs) well.
She's just better than Lucca, Crono, Robo and Frog (OMG)

Marle is a textbook bad character for me in vanilla CT. (maybe not as bad as Frog who has no niché, but everyone else is way better)
She's nearly useless against most randoms, and she's subpart against bosses before she gets Haste and after you get a Haste Helm. Even then setting haste up is a bit annoying and she feels like she often feels like she's the only character who can actually die in game thanks to that awful physical durability. She just makes battles last a lot longer than they should.
But it's mostly the uselessness against randoms.

In Crimson Echoes, MT Haste sees a lot of use against randoms as they're (too) durable. You might as well not have her act after using it, but it's good enough.

No argument about randoms (outside Magus' Castle where Ice Water is the best, and she's also fine during the part of the game where she has Ice 2 before you start getting real high-end stuff, though unexceptional), but against bosses, she gets Haste around midgame and you don't get Haste Helms until the very, very end (Black Omen) at which point you can use them against two bosses (Lavos Spawn and the Zeal chain) before you face Lavos who does way too much magic damage/status to consider using Haste Helm over Prism on anyone except perhaps Magus. I generally found Haste outweighs any other possible differences between the PCs in boss fights because permanent 2x speed is pretty awesome (and unlike FFX, bosses never dispel).

CT bosses skew pretty magical so I didn't find Marle's durability to be a problem in practice. I guess it's more important than low physical durability in Legend of Dragoon though! Probably.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea she's #6, but the gap between her and #1 isn't that large (because CT is weirdly balanced).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1057 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:06 AM »
To be fair, a lot of classes have trouble scoring well at low levels. Trying to get points on my Justicar was fuckig awful for my first two games, coming off my level 20 Vanguard.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 15, 2012, 02:29:04 AM »
DE3: Mr. Anatomy is down. Also, biochip replacement proved as ill-advised as previously considered. Dammit Cid, stop doing things you know are stupid.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »
That specific part of DE3 is something I love.  Make a genre savvy check to save screwing yourself over.

Also teaches valuable lessons with regards to firmware and software upgrades in real life.  Not that you can't trust them, just the level of access you are providing to your hardware.

And yeah Rob Some classes are a bitch at low level.  You can still get more than 10 assists.  All you need for that is to shoot or use a skill on like 5% of the spawned enemies. Grab an smg and click the button.  Get assists.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 15, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »
So what happens if you don't get it replaced?

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 15, 2012, 04:31:01 AM »
The game is easier.  You don't have the random glitches and boss fight doesn't screw you.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 15, 2012, 04:31:33 AM »
So what happens if you don't get it replaced?

You get to be SO FUCKING SMUG.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Yeah CT is well balanced (Except Frog... But even Frog is no Mogu or anything, he's still a serviceable healer with no bad stats)  I can't say Marle isn't good when she shines, it's just that her lack of speed/damage/physical durability/(arguably MT healing) are just too much of a problem to use her a lot. She's a hassle to use  most of the time. (Does anyone really switch Marle in only against bosses then switch her out? It's probably the most efficient way to play the game technically, but yeah)
I also wouldn't use Marle against Lavos anyway, because recovering from Big MT Rock to the face with Marle as your only (dead) healer doesn't sound good (not that it's too much of a problem anyway, it's CT)

PKMN Ruby Nuzlocke: Finished.
Elite 4 didn't stand a chance against my lvl 64 Pikachu (His name is a trap, he's actually a Groudon. I'm not above using unfair tactics against the Elite 4) Swelot was the second most useful, Toxic being godly in those battle of attritions and Sludge Bomb being decent damage. Since I've been trying and failing in just about every game to raise an useful poison type (the coolest type), this is great.
The other four in my tema were sitting ducks against the Elite 4, really. I gave Swampert Blizzard and it hit 1 time out of 5. I really need to stop ever using Blizzard.

If you're always on your toes and use durable pokemons, the challenge is not too hard. I won it on the second try without knowing much about the game at all. (I didn't even know the types of the Elite 4. Hell I still don't know the type of the first Elite 4 guy. Normal ? Dark ?)
It wasn't the most interesting challenge, but it gets points for never feeling like a cakewalk.

I've also learnt one valuable thing : Even in the direst situation, fighting against all odds against powerful gym leaders... You still don't care about those berries.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
D3: Rolled a Monk, completed act 1, nerdgasming on the epic perfection it was.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:22 PM »
Elite 4 didn't stand a chance against my lvl 64 Pikachu (His name is a trap, he's actually a Groudon. I'm not above using unfair tactics against the Elite  ... Since I've been trying and failing in just about every game to raise an useful poison type (the coolest type), this is great.

I've also learnt one valuable thing : Even in the direst situation, fighting against all odds against powerful gym leaders... You still don't care about those berries.

And this is why you will always be my favourite.

Diablo 3 - I am playing and I like it and that is all I am really going to say about it because everyone pretty much knows how the chips fall in this one.

There was two things I really wished for most of last night was an item filter to stop seeing white items since they are worthless (not even worth the effort to vendor.  You will make more off walking a bit further and getting 3 more gold drops than for an inv full of white loot).  I didn't find this.

The other thing I wished for was to be able to change which skills went on which button and to have a bit more info about skills.  This is actually in there under Gameplay in the options menu.  Complex Tooltips and Elective mode do both of these things.

So I am running around throwing explosives at things, spraying them with my gats, killing things with my Hatred and rocking a wicked scarf.  Demon Hunter is pretty much Grefter Perfection.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 15, 2012, 11:30:25 PM »
Diablo 3 - Played a little last night.  Witch Doctor.  Grefter what is your Battle net ID.  jerkface is CotigoDArmes#1907

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: May 16, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
Must...avoid...buying...D3...so soon...
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 16, 2012, 12:49:57 AM »
give in

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: May 16, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »
Ha!  I don't even need to resist because my computer's so shitty it wouldn't even be able to play it!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »
DE3: Adam Jensen: 1; world gone mad: 0.

Went with the Darrow's speech ending. Although I'm not fond of broadcasting a general anti-technology message, this was pretty much the default option for unmasking secret world council of douchebaggery, and the Cid is almost always going to adopt an anti-authoritarian stance if that's an option. Besides, when you're using human beings as computers and your human computers wail constantly about what perpetual fear and pain they're in, it might really be time to take a step back and say, "What the fuck are we doing."

General comments after checking out other endings.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: May 16, 2012, 02:45:28 AM »
Wizardry 5: Finished. Man, the Silver Armor trick makes wandering the dungeon so much easier.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 16, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »
Ha!  I don't even need to resist because my computer's so shitty it wouldn't even be able to play it!
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:21 AM »
DE3: Adam Jensen: 1; world gone mad: 0.

Went with the Darrow's speech ending. Although I'm not fond of broadcasting a general anti-technology message, this was pretty much the default option for unmasking secret world council of douchebaggery, and the Cid is almost always going to adopt an anti-authoritarian stance if that's an option. Besides, when you're using human beings as computers and your human computers wail constantly about what perpetual fear and pain they're in, it might really be time to take a step back and say, "What the fuck are we doing."

General comments after checking out other endings.

You know Darrow is actually a pro-authority ending that serves Illuminati goals, right? Beacuse, Darrow... you are a puppet. This is a Deus Ex game; the Illuminati are just way too many steps ahead of you. Consider this: no matter what you choose, the fact you make it through everything means Bob Page wins.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:30:38 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 16, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
(Very long) Fighting Game Weekend!

Street Fighter 4: (AE2012 for the awkward ones who'd complain. ;o) Played a few games, all as Cammy, including losing a couple of games online due to failing horribly at pulling off EX Cannon Strikes on pad. Mostly watching my friend play as Zangief, T. Hawk and Hakan online. Nothing better than seeing Zangief run at an online Dudley from across the stage and just have the guy stand there and get grabbed.

BlazBlue: So much story mode. I've never played BlazBlue before, but wanted to for about 2 years, thanks to seeing some at Evo '10. I think this was CS2, but not Extend? Anyways, mostly watched my friend going through story modes, and I absolutely love the joke/bad endings. Specifically the bad ones, actually. "You killed the main character. That's kind of a bad thing." Arakune continues to be weird and I love it but I would hate playing as him. I played through Arcade once, having never touched the game before, and managed to get to the end quite comfortably on Normal as Noel, until I got absolutely stomped by Hazama. Whoops.

Skullgirls: This is almost exactly what I wanted in a fighting game, and I'm totally grabbing the PC version when I can/when it's out. Things like infinite prevention, ridiculous combos (BlazBlue or Guilty Gear-style) but with only one OTG per combo, a range of characters where projectiles rarely mean much, a pretty well-balanced cast, air-blocking, air-dashes, and a grappler I can actually play as. These are why the game is awesome. Valentine and Painwheel are the reasons the game is not awesome. I'm just not a big fan of their design, but I think Filia and Cerebella are fantastic, and I can see why those two were the ones included in the demo. Also, Peacock's blocks being, uhh, actual blocks? That's nice. Also hearing "Garbage Day!" when you least expect it.

And we forgot to play Marvel. Oh well, no real loss for me.
Also no SFxT, but that's just jabjabjabjabjab anyway.