Register

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234840 times)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1100 on: May 22, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles: Okay, so I told myself I wasn't going to quest today, since I've barely been playing it because I've been aimlessly questing. So naturally, I started off doing a few quests for Frontier Village. Whatever, they were easy ones. Then, off to Alcamoth, and oh god how am I underlevelled I've been questing almost non-stop ;-;
So, spent a while beating enemies around here, just so I can catch up to the enemy levels. Continue with plot, go through a Tomb. Urrrrrk. Boss here took me about 4-5 tries. Started off with a team of Shulk/Reyn/Sharla, switched to Sharla/Reyn/Melia after one loss, and two losses with that team pushed me to a team of Sharla/Shulk/Reyn. Turns out, me being Sharla is much better than the AI doing it, and they can handle Shulk perfectly fine. (In fact, sometimes better than me, because they actually give a damn about Monado skills that aren't Buster.)
Off towards Prison Island~
Oh, but I should probably do that Colony 6 quest sometime soon...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
Pokemon Black: Explored all unexplored places for the most part, apparently missing an ENTIRE SECTION OF THE MAP in the main game in the south west corner leading to hilariously bad trainers that were probably meant to be semi-competent!

Also caught Kyurem finally.  Now I think I just have the Runner left...by which will require me to activate it first...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 22, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
Hey Super, did you draw your own Wizardry maps or did you just faq the whole game?

Wizardry 1 and 5 on the PSX had automapping, which I used. I did FAQ 1/5, but I've already beaten 5 before, and 1 had next to nothing to actually FAQ.

EO's on my list of games to play, but I can't find my DS. AUGH

Edit: Downloaded L4D2 a couple of days back, since I never did play around with the imported L4D1 maps. Bunch of superficial changes to the maps (To make camping harder mostly- you can't run back to the safe room in Dead air 3 before the panic event, dead air 4 has a second panic event as well).  DA's finale was surprisingly easy though- they kept the closest from L4D1, and standing behind the plane is easy if you conserve ammo thanks to only having two sides to worry about.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:43:52 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 22, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
D3 - I am on my second playthrough with my Demon Hunter. I beat the first game with almost no Vitality in my gear. Yeah, that running around with 900 HP in Nightmare mode was not working.

My guy is now lv 38 and has around 6k HP, but still gets smacked around, kiting is my best friend. I should really be running around with the Templar, but I did that the first run through so I have that enchantress with me. She does not take hits for me sadly.

I will try and get a character to level 18. I have a Wizard, Monk, and Barb all around that. My witch doctor is only level 2, and it seems like three would be a crowd.

My battle.net name is Scarface#1474 I think.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 23, 2012, 01:40:14 AM »
In my latest game of Endless Space, through random happenstance it came out that I started out in a part of the galaxy isolated from the rest except through one stable wormhole. Naturally I went about setting up a base on my end, then eventually crossed through to explore, and start setting up outposts on the other side of the wormhole when I make contact with another empire.

I know you're thinking "wait isn't that like exactly what happened in DS9?" Well, you'd be half right. On the other side of the wormhole was an empire but it wasn't so much the Dominion as it was an all-consuming enemy horde that exists only to kill. The Cravers are like part Borg, part Reaver. Their ships are cheaper, tougher and more powerful, while they get a bonus to all output from worlds they hold. After 50 turns their worlds are depleted and take huge output penalties, so they gotta keep conquering shit.

Fun enemy, except that last patch made them more formidable by breaking fleet cap sizes for them. At this point in the game my cap on command points was 7. Destroyers/corvettes are 1 point, battleships and cruisers 2, and dreadnoughts 4. Well, the Cravers come at me with fleets whose CP value reads 30/7, made up of ships with passive bonuses to HP and damage.

Currently I've been pushed out of the galactic core and am fighting them on my end of the wormhole. I'm hoping that if I can stall them for several more turns by continuing to hold the bottleneck, their worlds will deplete and I can turn shit around. Fortunately I'm no Federation, and it I was, I'd be the Captain Kirk kind.

The Cravers sound kind of like the Zuul in sword of the stars - same sort of flavor, same big mechanical drawback, similar bonuses.

Is your story a fluke or are the cravers actually good? The Zuul mostly just ate their starting planets down to bedrock then floundered...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1105 on: May 23, 2012, 02:06:55 AM »
The Zuul just had a fixed autoharvest amount and raised fleet cap, which is mechanically pretty different. The cravers never cause a system to collapse to 0, which helps. Since ES doesnt track resources like in SOTS, the Cravers just get a big bonus to all four yields for 50 turns and then an equal-sized penalty after that. However, a fully developed system will never become totally useless like with the Zuul.

The other is that the Cravers get all of the following:
-Bonus to weapon power
-Decreased weapon mass, so you can add more of the more powerful weapons
-increased ship health
-Decreased ship cost

Tips the odds a lot more in their favor during an offensive campaign. The planet depletion thing is basically their only weakness, unlike the Zuul who had a bunch of them. A well-played Craver would be scary as fuck, though the AI in the game isn't necessarily finished. Another thing I found impressive despite being an Alpha, actually, is how functional the AI is for something that is only about 20% complete.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 23, 2012, 04:41:28 AM »
Broke down and bough D3.  NotMiki#1973.  Be my fwend.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 23, 2012, 07:37:35 PM »
Since we're all doing this, AndrewRogue#1770 I believe

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
I too gave in.  PM me if you want the sekrit number (you can probably guess the name).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 24, 2012, 03:17:22 AM »
Well... I'm getting Dragon's Dogma... and uh...

Inindo: I got one sword from a blacksmith that MUST ONLY BE USED UNDER EXTREME CIRCUMSTANCES then sold it, I think this means I'm near the end of the game. That and having explored almost all of Japan.
Game could be really nice at about 3x its speed, like a ton of other RPGs.

Dragon Quest 9: Solo, first time through the game. My main character is... Yattaf. (Hatbot chose that name for me a while ago. I was expecting him to choose GRFSTK instead) Anyway, Yattaf already kicks ass and hasn't even changed classes. I only have one nitpick: Yattaf, don't use your rapier to slash things. Come on.

The battle against Morag made me understand why Captain K likes the game so much. It was all "Morag stares at Yattaf, completely enthralled" and "Morag performs her best puff-puff on Yattaf. Yattaf has a huge grin on her face." I, um, wow.

The fact that there's no way to change text speed is crazy. Like an FPS not letting you choose between normal and inverted controls in 2012.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »
The fact that there's no way to change text speed is crazy

The main reason I stopped playing that piece of crap.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1111 on: May 24, 2012, 05:02:04 AM »
Heh. Crazy. Something NEB and I agree on!

Game Developer Story:
Best little skinner box on the planet. Simulate 20 years of the game industry and perform hostile takeover of the market! I named my company NISA for catharsis. Hit Top 15 on the leaderboards for the day when I did! That's the first time I've -ever- hit within Top 100 on -any- game I've played with an online Leaderboard. Good times.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 24, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
I started a run of Pokemon Red version, but with a twist. The starters have been changed, and the overworld sprites for your character and the rival become female (though these changes are purely cosmetic and don't affect back sprites and the rival's in-battle sprite...). I felt like going on a nostalgia trip. My team is basically the trainer card banner thing you see in pretty much most Pokemon forums ever, just because. I'm around Mt. Moon right now, just breezing through thanks to frameskip. I'm playing it on my DS, which makes train rides a lot less boring.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 24, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
Heh. Crazy. Something NEB and I agree on!

In fairness, anyone who doesn't agree with the concept of GENERAL CONVENIENCE has something wrong in the head!

...which possibly explains the entire Dragon Quest fanbase...

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
Convenience is highly overrated.  Reading the text is so much more rewarding when you have to work for it.

The battle against Morag made me understand why Captain K likes the game so much. It was all "Morag stares at Yattaf, completely enthralled" and "Morag performs her best puff-puff on Yattaf. Yattaf has a huge grin on her face." I, um, wow.

Well my main character was female also!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 25, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »
Only in the most tangental sense of the word work does staring off into space while waiting for text to load constitute work.

Diablo 3 - My monk will be named "Jesus the Just."

checkmate, athetits

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 25, 2012, 02:29:28 AM »
NieR: Been STEALTH PLAYING!!!! this and finished the A Ending about last week or so; may get to other endings later, etc.  Won't get nito a Mega rant, just simple mentioning of thoughts.

Generally speaking, the game was decent.  I wouldn't say its WOMG AMAZING or anything, but it was solid enough.  Gameplay in the first half of the game is repetitive and kind of boring.  One weapon class, enemy variety is low, lack of allies for half of it, and when you finally get an ally, she's consistently leaving during dungeons, etc.  2nd half of the game, it picks up notably here, since...well...it does work to alleviate a lot of those issues.  Enemies are definitely more varied and some have actual gimmicks making you change your fighting style up, 3 weapon styles (even if Spears felt clearly the best for non-combo rating purposes, Spears are still more interesting a weapon class than 1H Swords), you have all your spells from the outset, and the game feels more balanced around "use what you feel works" rather than "Most of these boss fights rely on Dark Lancing shit", etc.  I wouldn't say the gameplay is amazing, but it had something resembling substance I suppose.

Plot...hmm...I wouldn't say the plot is really all that good.  Its basically Zelda Plot of "Find macguffins...now find a second set of macguffins!" to save Nier's daughter from 2 different crises.  There's a twist at the end, but I felt it wasn't quite built up enough?  It felt a little too phoned in relating it to the beginning without actual enough substance in between linking them.  There were some attempts, but not enough for the reveal to feel like it answered anything beyond "No, the opening was not meaningless."

That said, I do like most of the cast.  Nier himself (is that his actual name OOC, or just a fan name?  Manual just calls him "The Father") gets props simply for being a middle aged dad whose entire incentive is acting for his young daughter.  The fact that the PS3 version in Japan changed it to a young adult bishie boy brother taking care of his sister (as opposed to father/daughter) just annoys me because seriously, the relationship works better when its just a dad doing what he can to make ends meets, is actually experienced with the world, etc.  Turning him in an attractive bishie just for JAPAN jRPG STEREOTYPING! ...yeah, ok, good thing I didn't play that version.  Anyway, I liked how he was just an unconventional main, and wasn't turned into an anti-hero either; just a dad trying to juggle making an honest living by doing tasks no one else in the village is capable of and being there for his daughter.

Weiss...ok, I don't think I have to say anything other than he's great.  Reminds me of ToS2 Tenebrae,  only less trolling and more general snark with excellent dynamic between the characters.  So yeah, really good job there!

Kaine...I wasn't a fan of.  Dunno if the other endings say otherwise, but her entire character this game is "I'm a fucking bitch, eat shit and deal with it, asshole."  The few moments she wasn't like that felt...kind of forced.  Her entire dialog is just swearing a lot and basically making herself seem as tough as humanly possible, and she's just a walking trope.   Granted, she DID open herself up constantly for Weiss to call her out on...well...everything, and Weiss was generally good on capitalizing on that!

Emil...ok, I'm just gonna be straight: Its impossible to take him seriously.  Yes, I know he's suppose to look weird, and all that, but the impression I got from the game is he's suppose to look "frightening" kind of weird, not "5 year old drawing a skeleton given to a professional video game artist, adapted literally."   It just completely clashes with all the other designs in the game, and in a bad way.  The character himself wasn't too bad I guess, but just god damn did they need to, at very least, redesign the face.

Lastly, the MUSIC! ...ok, this was filled with good stuff, and I have no complaints.

Overall, 7/10 game I suppose.  I can see it getting hyped if you liked the gameplay more, and were more a fan of the plot, I guess.  Then again, gameplay stuff may be me being jaded since I feel so inclined to compare it to SPECTACLE FIGHTERS!!! like DMCs, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta, which just do combo flat out better in everyway.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
NieR:

If you have only got the first ending, and I'm guessing from what you wrote you never read the Project Gestalt documents in the really narrow window you have access to them, you only think you know what happened. It goes so much deeper than that.

Also you only replay the second half of the game for reasons that will become obvious.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:49:44 AM by Rob the Stampede »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1118 on: May 25, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »
Re: Brother Nier (and yes, the main character is consistently called Nier by the Japanese development team, so I feel safe in calling it canon)

The original concept for the game was built around a younger main character who acted like a plucky JRPG hero, but the rest of the world responded to him in the appropriate manner that such an attitude would elicit in real life - mainly "you are a dumb fuck, stop being naive" and he gets beaten down repeatedly until the time skip, where he takes on a much more drastically changed personality than Father Nier does. None of the story dialogue changes, but a bit of the NPC and non-voiced dialogue subtly changes to accommodate the shift that changing the main character's age causes.

Notably, the decision to create the Father Nier character was wholly a decision created because it would appeal more to an American audience... and honestly, it -does-, so good on them for recognizing that.

Interestingly, the Project Nier companion book seems to indicate that both Brother Nier and Father Nier exist at different points in the timeline.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 25, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
It wasn't just character design appeal. The guys at Cavia actually realized that family dynamics are different in Japan and the West, and since the game needs the relationship between Nier and Yonah to be relatable, they realized that they needed to change it to fit. Which was the right call, because the obsession Nier descends into as the game goes on would have come off far more off-puttingly than it did as a father. That's also part of the reason they wrote two separate scripts for the EN and JP versions.

Have I mentioned how this game makes me reflect on how sad Japanese family dynamics are? No wonder nobody wants to have kids there.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:25:19 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 26, 2012, 01:35:50 AM »
D3 - Beat Normal with my WD. Beat Diablo on the first try which didn't strike me as that hard.  Normal really is gimp difficulty, and I get that there's modes higher than that but it'd be nice for it to start of harder. Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Playing through with a Monk now. Couldn't name her Jesus the Just because fuck you Blizzard. Can't play on Nightmare with a new character which means I'm speedrunning to get through lolnomral I guess. 

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 26, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »
Kaine...I wasn't a fan of.  Dunno if the other endings say otherwise, but her entire character this game is "I'm a fucking bitch, eat shit and deal with it, asshole."  The few moments she wasn't like that felt...kind of forced.  Her entire dialog is just swearing a lot and basically making herself seem as tough as humanly possible, and she's just a walking trope.   Granted, she DID open herself up constantly for Weiss to call her out on...well...everything, and Weiss was generally good on capitalizing on that!

There's a lot extra material relating to her on a second cycle (that, plus random other scenes and shadow mumbles get translated). Quick and easy to bash through the second act again since all gameplay-related stuff carries over, and fairly worth it if you liked the game at all. C/D endings can be safely Youtubed (and, you know, ending D deletes your saves). I think all you'd miss out on there is one more boss fight.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 26, 2012, 04:31:44 AM »
Ending D also forbids you from using that character name in a new game, hilariously enough.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 26, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
Pokemon Red, all I can say is I cannot wait for Vulpix to learn Flamethrower. Meanwhile, Jolteon and Gloom are just sort of wiping things out of the way. Dodrio for cleanup.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 26, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
Clearly, we must have Meeple purchase the Emil face bullet hell DLC to make Meeple suffer.

And yeah, Nier is the MC's cannon name.

Have I mentioned how this game makes me reflect on how sad Japanese family dynamics are? No wonder nobody wants to have kids there.

What is even more sad is how violently Cavia reacted at the idea of father Nier. Going so far that they'll lose their drive to make this game if they can't keep their bishie Nier when the oversea team suggest taking out bishie Nier all together.